Orakpo 'Just So Excited, So Ecstatic to Be Here'

Some highlights from Brian Orakpo's just-completed press conference at Redskins Park:

Jim Zorn's introduction: "Saturday before the draft I had the chance, this was the second year in a row, flew to, by helicopter, our stadium with our coordinators and was received very boisterously by a large crowd, a large crowd of fans. And they had come out pre-draft to encourage us as coaches as to who to take. And what transpired, I yelled out 'Who should we pick in the first round?' And simultaneously the shout from the crowd, and there were several thousand people right in that close area where the stage was, 'Orakpo, Orakpo.' And they just continued over and over and started chanting Orakpo.

"As the draft goes I know that in those first early picks we thought that Brian would be taken and gone. And then as the picks started coming down and Brian was still there we all started kind of sweating to think if we might have had the opportunity - well our hands were sweating, anyway, could we actually get Brian Orakpo. And as we began to talk to other clubs to even try to move up to get him he just kept ticking down. Much to our surprise and much to our elation we had the chance at the 13th pick to choose Brian Orakpo as our 2009 first-round draft choice."

On getting the call from the Redskins: "[Vinny Cerrato] was the first guy to call me and when he called me he was like, 'Are you ready for your second dinner?' 'Cause the first time I came, I had a great steak and he was like 'Are you ready for your second dinner? Your second steak because we'd love to have you as a Washington Redskin.' So that was awesome. "

On playing for the Redskins in high school: "It's so ironic because I was an official Redskin in high school, we modeled the Washington Redskins and now I went from a Redskin to a Longhorn back to a Redskin. And my high school coach told me once you're a Redskins you're always a Redskin, so that was a great honor. I'm looking forward to playing in front of 90-plus thousand in a huge stadium that you guys have, it'd be wonderful and a great opportunity to be productive in front of a huge crowd on Sundays."

On joining the defense here: "Like I said joining a great defense with outstanding teammates: Albert Haynesworth, London Fletcher, LaRon Landry, I mean I can name them all. And just to have my name amongst those guys is just a huge honor and a huge accomplishment. These are guys I used to watch every Sunday when the Redskins would play and I'm just so excited, so ecstatic to be here. Once again, obviously, they finished fourth in the National Football League in defense and I just want to bring my skills and what I can do to help. First of all I have to compete and earn my job, earn my position on the team and also earn my respect."

On what position/role he'll play: "It's still up in the air right now. [There is] some linebacker talk, obviously some defensive end talk, it's still up in the air. We're not sure right now. But anything I can do to be productive, that's the most important thing. ...

"Oh, yes, I've played linebacker. Since last year had a great defensive coordinator in [Will] Muschamp and he taught me, when we went to any linebacker situation I'd be that linebacker position. It's in my blood but obviously I can rush the passer as well. ...

"It's something that I've done before. I've covered backs, I've covered No. 2 slot receivers inside, I've covered tight ends. It's just the nature of the game and the nature of the formations that they give us so I'm pretty familiar and all I can do is get better.

By Cindy Boren  |  April 27, 2009; 12:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Puts Offseason Drama Behind Him
Next: Skins, 13 Undrafted Free Agents Agree to Terms

Comments

Great News Everyone!

The Brian Orakpo, unofficial Inauthentic Replica Jersey is NOW AVAILABLE.

You can order yours for ONLY $71.99!!!

It won't necessarily have his actual uniform number on it, because the website notes "Numbers may vary"

So, maybe if you'ree lucky, you'll get one with--say--Brandon Lloyd's old number on it!!!

Here's the link Sports fans.

No word on when the Cody Glenn or Devin Frischknecht jersey will be available!

Posted by: TheCork | April 27, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to thank the Raiders, Bills, and Broncos for allowing us to take Orakpo.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 27, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I actually forgot this guy was under Muschamp.

Muschamp is THE freaking man. Probably the best DC in football.

Too bad Muschamp has only been at Texas one year (or is it two?). That's a good thing for Orakpo, Muschamp is fiery and requires 100% effort on every single play. I'd take any player he coached on my team.

but that JIm Zorn quote, god I hate the way people get all excited about rookies in the draft. "I can't believe we got Brian Orakpo", this guy hasn't done **** yet!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this. Orakpo sure says the right things.

I hope they DO move him around to exploit weaknesses.

Hope he doesn't get worn out in practice trying to get around OT Mike (Piggly Wiggly) Williams.

Posted by: TheCork | April 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see the Times piece saying that the team is going to give Rocky a look at SLB during minicamp? I hadn't heard that, but it could open the door for a guy like Robert Thomas or Fincher on the weak side.

Posted by: PatM1 | April 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams is 410 lbs, but Orakpo benches 510 lbs, so no problem there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I will go as far as to say Orakpo will have 10 sacks this year, 1 pick and 3 forced fumbles. Would that be good enough for a rookie?

Posted by: FedorEm | April 27, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but
Mike Williams = Erasmus James

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 27, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | April 27, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but
Mike Williams = Erasmus James

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 27, 2009 1:07 PM |

They didn't give up any picks for Williams.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 27, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"People are acting like it's crazy to try and replace an average player with another player.

Posted by: Pleepleus"

I see the short-sighted, Snyder-esque mentality has begun to re-permeate itself throughout the fanbase yet again.

The problem comes when you don't understand the concept of opportunity cost. It's not replacing an "average" player (so you call it) with another player. It's using valuable and short-supply assets to replace an "average" (so you call it) player when you have well below average players that, if replaced, could categorically increase the production of the entire team -- and have it done with a much better net gain.

Hell, the Eagles could replace Donovan McNabb with pipe-dreams that they'd be landing the next Peyton Manning, but the actually knowledgeable branistrust over there understands there are much bigger fish to fry on their roster than spending multiple high draft picks on a guy they hope can produce a marginal impact over what they already have.

In the end, the Redskins ended up with the correct moves (for the most part). Whether or not they chose to do it or were forced to do it by another team's actions is a different story, but the Redskins are categorically a better team with Campbell running the show this season, and most likely, beyond this season.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | April 27, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 27, 2009 1:09 PM |
---------------------

Well, they benched him briefly for Kolb last year, and the results was that it got his dander up and he played much better after that.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 27, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

sorry psps23 but all signs point to Campbell going 8-8 next year and not coming back the following year.

all hindsight, sure we probably did better not drafting a QB this year, but who knows.

If you ask me would I rather have Orakpo and Barnes or Sanchez, who could sit for one year, learn the system, and then step up if/when JC has another average year....well, I'm not sure which one I'd take. Not an easy question IMO.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 27, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 27, 2009 1:07 PM |

They didn't give up any picks for Williams.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 27, 2009 1:09 PM

Okay.
I guess what I was trying to say is that Williams will probably help the team just as much as James did. Even though it didn't cost anything.....Unless they are going to feed the guy.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 27, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but
Mike Williams = Erasmus James

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 27, 2009 1:07 PM

It's not just you, I thought the exact same thing when I first heard of the signing. But the main reason we have Williams is obviously because of Dockery, his former college teammate at Texas and current house host.

If Dock thinks he can still play, that's more than Erasmus...

Posted by: Alan4 | April 27, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but
Mike Williams = Erasmus James

Apparently he impressed at his workout. And we are talking about a former 4th overall pick. I say give him a chance. We didn't give up any picks, he wants to get his career back and he has size to be dominating. As fans we should be rooting for him to succeed. He is 29, young enough to make an impact should he make our team. I hope he can help us out.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 27, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Great News Everyone!

The Brian Orakpo, unofficial Inauthentic Replica Jersey is NOW AVAILABLE.

You can order yours for ONLY $71.99!!!

Here's the link Sports fans.

No word on when the Cody Glenn or Devin Frischknecht jersey will be available!

Posted by: TheCork | April 27, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Any news on when the inauthentic replica Donjoy ACL knee braces will be available for our 5th, 6th, and 7th round guys?

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | April 27, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but
Mike Williams = Erasmus James

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 27, 2009 1:07 PM |

They didn't give up any picks for Williams.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 27, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

No, but they evidently will have to give up 2 spots in the cafeteria at Redskin Park.

Impressed with the "workout"? What exactly did a 410-450 lb guy do for a workout?

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | April 27, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did Orkapo say he say Haynesworth play when he watched Redskins games last year? Is he lying? Are we talking about potential character issues/problems?

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 27, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

But that means we simply made the most of the opportunity, it does not mean it was a brilliant pick.

Posted by: p1funk | April 27, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

You'd be hard pressed to argue that making the most of opportunity is not brilliance.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 27, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

*************************

Maybe for this FO.

"Brilliant" in my book is managing to get a grade A player at a position of desperate need (without giving up too much).

For instance, if we'd mananged to move up to #8 grab Eugene Monroe, and still hold on to next year's #1, I would say "brilliant move".

Or if we'd managed to make a deal to get back in the lower end of the 1st round and grab Michael Oher...I would say "brilliant move".

Right now I find myself saying: "At least we avoided a Sanchez-debacle. But how the heck are we planning on upgrading our O-line."

Posted by: p1funk | April 27, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

No one ever said this about Erasmus:

“He [Mike Williams] is two guys standing side by side with their arms around each other,” Zorn said. “That’s how wide he is.”

I like this signing.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 27, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't Mike Williams have just auditioned for The Biggest Loser instead of the Redskins?

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 27, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

He was out of football for a couple of years. Any of those dudes that are O line size don't work out they can get all fatted up. I am not saying he will be anything for us. I hope he does help us out. Chances are not, but I am still pulling for the guy. Maybe I am the only one but if he can get in shape he can be a viable option.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"If flirting with Cutler and Sanchez produces similar results for the Redskins' Campbell, then it was worth it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21"

I agree. Campbell knows his situation, so all those who were crying for a QB competition this offseason need not worry. Campbell has as much pressure on himself to perform as any QB in the league.

Posted by: psps23 | April 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | April 27, 2009 1:17 PM

He played at 375 in college and earned a #4 overall pick. I don't think he'd become immobile due to a 9% increase in his body weight over the past 7 years.

If you're 200 lbs, a 9% increase is just 18 lbs. Six weeks on Weight Watchers would easily fix you up.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 27, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Then we'll say "Darn, wish we had drafted a QB that could have sat and learned for a year.""

Even if we struggle and go 8-8 (which I don't see happening, given the upgraded roster from last season), we still should not have drafted a QB because he wouldn't have "learned" anything, as Zorn would be tossed out the door at season's end. He would be another John Beck in Miami, or Brady Quinn in Cleveland, or Jay Cutler in Denver. A guy that was drafted for a completely different coach. It would have significantly increased his chances at "busting" (for lack of a better term). It would have been a terrible pick all around.

Posted by: psps23 | April 27, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Orakpo, Barnes and COLT...oh yeah, we DO have them. Bottom line, I could care less about Jason Campbell's hurt feelings. If he produces this year, he'll get paid one way or another. I've seen QB's perform at an All-Pro level with worse offensive lines.

Our O-Line produced one of the top rushers in the league this past season, yet Campbell could not balance the attack. Yes, we have depth problems on the O-Line, but we have talent there. If a team can run the ball, a QB should be able to make a play once in a while when things break down in the passing game.

I'm in the minority, but I'm optimistic about the O-Line. I think the Jansen/Heyer combo will work. I look for Jon to have a healthy comeback season. He's still an outstanding run blocker. Derrick Dockery was a key acquisition that really solidifies the starting lineup. I don't worry about Chris Samuels. He has been taken for granted since he's been on the team. He will likely go down in Redskins history as our best OT. Please don't bring up Joe Jacoby or Jim Lachey. Jacoby's talent pales in comparison to Samuels. Lachey may have been more talented, but his career on the Skins was much too short to hold a candle to Samuels.

What we need now is a QB that can make quick decisions, recognize coverages and blitz schemes and throw the ball before he runs into the other guys. If that is Campbell, great. It's probably not him, though. Still, I am relieved that we didn't make a desperate move for Sanchez. I believe the answer to our passing woes is already on the current Redskins roster.

Colt Brennan is the answer.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 27, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this. Orakpo sure says the right things.

I hope they DO move him around to exploit weaknesses.

Posted by: TheCork | April 27, 2009 1:03 PM

Maybe I didn't fully understand your post, Cork, but are you hoping that the Redskins fail?

'Cause I've read where you have been accused as such, but I couldn't believe that. But now, I'm not sure. I mean, I can understand hating the front office, therefor having a level of satisfaction when there decisions are exploited as inept, but to hope that "they DO move him around to exploit weaknesses.", is just wrong coming from a fan, dude.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 27, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Um, I think he was talking about the OTHER team's weaknesses.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on it being silly to draft a QB just in case Campabell stinks it up this year. If the 'skins do finish 8-8, or don't have a playoff win (or make it all), you can be assured that Jim Zorn won't be back next year.

If Campbell fails, then Zorn fails. If Zorn goes, then Campbell goes as well, They're stuck with each other. If you really want to replace JC, its best they do it next year after assessing the '09 season.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 27, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

thanks, beatrice.

i said that maybe i didn't fully understand, you know, benefit of the doubt and such as...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

So let's get this straight: Zorn says the Skins drafted defense because they drafted offense last year. Hmmm... I thought Vinny said they took the best player available?

As usual, the front office can't find their butts with both hands. They were lucky the Jets stole Sanchez (even though the Skins burned their bridge with Campbell first). Orakpo is going to be a good one, but if the offense can't score more points, it won't matter.

And the rest of those draft picks won't play. Book it. I'm still mad they didn't load up on linemen -- plenty were available -- like the good team do. Gimpy linebackers and injured defensive backs aren't what you build around.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | April 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

reddmv: Couldn't Mike Williams play Guard? Not to sure if he can ever get back to the 310-330 weight average for a OT."

I'm not entirely sure Mike Williams can get around without a Segway.

No, just funnin' ya, Mike.

He was sure a terrific tackle at Texas. One of the guys who deserved the high draft spot. And then he gets to Buffalo and whoompf! there it ain't.

Injuries, certainly, but when you're 400 lbs, injuries aren't all that difficult to understand.

The Buffalo media says he just lost passion for the game. Now he says he has it back. At 29. Of course, those three missing seasons means he's had less wear and tear, too.

We'll see. It's like one of those hinky poll questions. If you ask it as: "do you think Mike Williams is the answer at Right Tackle?" most respondents would say no. But if instead you ask: "do you think a healthy Mike Williams can play tackle in the NFL?" you could get the opposite response.

This is one of those cases where we'll just have to wait and see.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

diesel: "And the rest of those draft picks won't play. Book it."

One of things we learn around here is that when somebody says 'book it', 'case closed', 'end of story', or 'that's all there is", we stop listening. It's a like an automatic BS detector. If we knew how things were going to turn out, we'd be out placing bets.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

They won't use Rocky at SLB. Because of his knees he is a liability in the run defense. Thomas may actually be better as the WLB, he was a 1st rounder (Rocky was a #2), and he is faster. But is he motivated? He does do well on the specials?

Neither Wilson or Orpako are strong against the run. Both need training, practice, coaching to be able to do this well. I suspect that that's your SLB competition. Haynesworth is more effective at DE on the pass rush because he likes to freelance, improvise. DT "bullrush" requires discipline, have to stay in your lane in case of RB/QB draws etc.

One can immediately see that Blache's defense next year is full of "projects", "conversions", "could-a-would-a-should-a's". When healthy you know what to expect from an MWash, a Shawn Springs, etc. Now, you start over, roll the die and see what happens.

Too many kids who think the defense is going to be great because of Orapko and Haynesworth. Orapko does one thing well ... rush the passer. He is poor against the run. Haynesworth can be great when he wants to. Same with Hall. Blache's defense has specific schemes that rely on players stopping the run first.

So, I don't think its wise to raise expectations ... if anything this defense may take a year or two to develop chemistry, the thresh the bugs out. I am certain they will not finish in the top 10 next year. Might even fall all the way down as they did that one year with ArchDeluxe and company.

Mike Williams is another "project". But let's face it people, taking a chance with him is far, far less risky than attempting to use a Geisinger or any of the other "tackles" they have on the roster. He has more potential, and it sounds like he is motivated. They still need guards. Rhinehart does not look promising. Looks like they may now have a center. Its better than it was during the draft. Not wonderful ...

Posted by: periculum | April 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Jacoby was an unsigned free agent that got into a pro bowl or two. He could play guard at the same level as right and left tackle. Samuels is good but I wouldn't put him at Lachey's level. Lachey was the best left tackle year in and year out pretty much until he retired. Samuels has almost reached the point where he would be better at right tackle in order to extend his career.

Posted by: periculum | April 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Name the QB?

Posted by: roscoemann71 | April 27, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

This is the best Redskins Draft Report I have read yet on the entire web. Check it out and tell me what you think! This Stanza guy really seems to know our team.

Posted by: spyder7 | April 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I like Orakpo, but with the defense soundly taken care of after selecting Orakpo I was hoping the Redskins could find a couple of decent Offensive tackles. What happened to that plan? One tight end is all they got for a decrepit line. It doesn't bode well for Campbell, or anyone back there.

Posted by: Meepo | April 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Name the QB?

Let's see: Ben Roethlisberger (Eagles sacked him 9 times in Week 3), Carson Palmer, Payton Manning, Rich Gannon (Raiders version), Jeff Garcia (take your pick which team), Randall Cunningham

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 27, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spyder7 | April 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

thanks for this link! This was a great analysis of our draft. I don't understand the 2 linebackers picked in the 5th and 6th rounds. These 2 could have been undrafted free agents! The rest of the draft looks pretty good.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 27, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Why get an Orakpo jersey when you can still get a Jason Taylor jersey for only $15.99!!!

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 27, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 27, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan is the answer.

Colt Brennan is most definitely not the answer, a dream...but not the answer. Hawaii and Texas Tech QB's play in the "Spread" offense, I think Brennan probably only took two snaps from the center directly his last year. Brennan is garbage, he had one good game, I'd take Chase Daniel over him anyday considering the Big 12 is 100% more difficult than Confernece USA. I like the idea in rooting for Brennan, but he just isn't the answer. Give Campbell this year, if he sucks, who knows, maybe Brett Favre will come back....

Posted by: DCXNTX | April 27, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is in his contract year, it was smart to not draft a qb.

I am in agreement with 105% of the rest of skins nation on wondering why we didnt select OL in the 3rd or 5th.

We love drafting injured players. Barnes is this years Moore/Kelly. Why!?!?!?!

I say if JC falls off 2nd half of this season, might as well throw in Colt to see what hes got. We'd prob be going in a new direction anyway.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | April 27, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Kenbeatrizz all those QB's had 1 or 2 games where they couldn't pass the time let alone the ball. Because of injuries to the O-line, JC had eight games in a row! I think JC is fully capable of being an pro-bowl QB but I think talented youth needs to be mixed in with the veterans. I'm glad that DD is back and Stephon should(hopefully) improve from last season. If everyone stays healthy, the offense will be a beast!

Posted by: roscoemann71 | April 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | April 27, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a Chris Dishman jersey? I'll give you three buttons and an autographed Ivan Lendl poster.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 27, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Here is my hope and prediction:

Redskins defense will play better next year and succeed in closing wins.

Redskins offense will play much better. The line will be beter with Dockery and Williams. JC will also play better.

So, It will be between Redskins and Giants to compete for NFC East.
I will give the Redskins the division with 12-4 or 11-5

No I am not smoking anything. I am a recovered negative-Redskins-fan.

For all the other fans here who are still hooked on the negativity the moment is now. Join a 12 step program to help you stay positive, or drop into the abyss and spend the rest of your life listenning to Jason La Can't-for-you.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 28, 2009 3:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 28, 2009 3:40 AM

Bubba,

Please positive with Danny Boy still the owner. Please what have the Deadskins ever done under his ownership to ever deserve any positive feelings. He and the idiot Lerners are neck and neck for the worst and most ineffective owners in professional sports. If you dont like Jason La C's point of view ask Wilbon for his take on the Deadskin's. And Jason's coverage of the Deadskins last year and his blogs are up for many awards including a Pulitzer hoss. Compared to NYC sportwriters and their coverage of the Giants and Jets Jason LaC. is Casper Milktoast. He ain't supposed to be Danny Boy's propoganda mouth piece. The Deadskin's will never even make a SB under Snyder's ownership.

Just suck it up boy and realize you have to put up w/ Snyder's ineffective ownership for 40 more years until he and Vinny are operating the Deadskins from Senior Citizens Day Care Facility and Danny Boy has draft choices changing his diaper.

Posted by: sheepherder | April 28, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse