Zorn: 'We're All in It Together'

More highlights from Jim Zorn's post-practice press conference:

Asked if he regretted anything that might have set Clinton Portis off, Zorn said no, adding that he hopes he has not implied that he is above the team or not accountable for problems.

"We're all in it together," Zorn said. "We all have accountability and responsibility ... I'm trying to be transparent."

Zorn said he read a transcript of the Portis radio interview and thought it was "interesting." "I was just glad that he thought I was a genius," Zorn joked.

He was asked again about job security, and about some veiled reports about him being in trouble.

"I don't even know all that stuff is out there," Zorn said, adding, "it won't be up to me," and saying he wants to "better" all expectations of what he can accomplish here. He was also asked about players losing belief in his scheme and play calling.

"I don't fear that," Zorn said. "I think it can creep in, but I don't fear it ... In a time of crisis your belief system gets challenged."

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 10, 2008; 3:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis, Zorn Say All Is 'Cool'
Next: Jansen Likely to Miss Cincy Game

Comments

I'm still on Zorn's side in this one, mostly because you can't let a player take over in football (different story in basketball, though, with only 5 guys on the floor).

But Zorn could have handled it better. With the comments above, it doesn't seem like Zorn gets it. Just say Portis is a fiery guy and that's a good thing.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Remember, Buttle, we're all in this together!" - Robert DeNiro's character in "Brazil"

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

And Nero fiddled while Rome burned...

Posted by: Leeguru | December 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I am not reassured by anything Zorn or Portis said in these last two posts. It seems that it's papered over, not solved. Win three and things will be better, but otherwise we're looking at another explosion.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I think they can sort this out easy. Zorn knows he can't lose CP but won't just roll over. CP is a firebrand but not an idiot by a long chalk. They'll find a middle ground.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | December 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

And this whole "I spoke with Mr Snyder" thing by Portis? Trouble brewing..

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 3:38 PM

Not trouble ... sounds like you didn't have a sibling growing up (or at least not one who ran to the ranking parent after a dispute). It's important to get to Mom (or Dad) asap after a dust-up ... spin your side of the story before the other one gets their's in.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I still say we need to shoot the messengers ... Doc Watson (or was it John Thompson?) and Dan Steinberg ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I won't change my opinion of him as a megalomaniac who made a bizarre decision Sunday night unless HE learns to "stay medium," calls a decent game this week, and keep his best player on the field.

If he doesn't do those things, I'll continue to view him with a suspicious eye.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Portis clarified that he does not want to leave the Redskins. "I'm not going to severe ties," Portis said. "I love Mr. [Daniel] Snyder and Mr. Snyder loves me." Portis said that Snyder told him there is no way he is getting rid of him.

and Portis' pockets are straight

So let me understand this, after their closed door meeting, Zorn said a situation like benching your best player can be tough to read and its the players job to come get clarification and that "I shouldn't have to seek that out"

Portis said if the coach had talked to me Monday none of this would have happened and "what is there to distract, we've lost four of five?"

Boy that sure sounds like that was one productive meeting.....Ugh...Zorn is a moron, of course you should have to seek that out, that's part of your job to manage players, especially those that you bench knowing they are emotional and have a history of popping off with the mouth to the media, and with the loses building! How could he not see something like this ahead of time?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

On if he needed Coach Zorn to say that he appreciates him and he should not have been benched:

“I didn’t need him to say that. We talked about what our conversation should’ve been. We realized it was a situation that we let go too far. So, it’s over with.”

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess it would be medium
If I could keep medium
I know not everybody
Stays medium like me

But I've got to think twice
Before I stop being medium
And I know the un-medium games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to get back to medium
And when that medium feeling comes down
Without devotion
Well it takes a medium man baby
But I'm showing you the medium

'Cause I gotta stay medium...
Mmm, I gotta stay medium
'Cause I gotta stay medium, medium,
Mm 'cause I gotta stay medium-a-medium-a-medium

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay. I'm going to bite.

"Portis' pockets are straight"

What does this mean please? I keep seeing it on here.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

... Zorn is a moron, of course you should have to seek that out, that's part of your job to ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 3:58 PM

This reminds me of comedians who b!tch at their audiences for not laughing at their jokes b/c the comedian's job is to make people laugh and the audience's job is to laugh.

Up here, we are completely convinced that we know the job requirements of an NFL coach. We also know that our own job is to post up here all day.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Still, it would be nice to hear Dan or Vinny come out in public support of JZ for these last few weeks just so we know all is truly well. Their silence is somewhat telling.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 10, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Okay. I'm going to bite.

"Portis' pockets are straight"

What does this mean please? I keep seeing it on here.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

It was from the B-Mitch radio interview he where Portis and B-Mitch were fighting and at one point Portis said something like "I'm a man come at me like a man cause whether you like it or not I'm gonna play like I play and cause Portis' pockets are straight" it was a third person reference to how much money he makes so obviously he's doing something right.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

As usual, it seems that I may be the minority on this blog with my opinion. I think the statements from the two ARE reassuring. Zorn is letting Portis be Portis, which is good. Zorn also seems unaffected by Portis being Portis, which is also good.

However, the underlying issue remains, and will remain until this offense gets it right. There's no hiding under friendships with this team.

Zorn scores a few points for speaking on accountability and saying "we're all in this together", even if he didn't call himself out specifically the way he has with the players. But eventually, it will all come down to this: can Zorn get this offense to operate to its potential? That's all that matters to Snyder, that's all that matters to Cerrato, and that's all that matters to Portis. If Zorn can close in on reaching that goal, he'll keep his job for sure - even if we end up missing the playoffs. If he can't, then it's open-season come the offseason.

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence never would have said those things about Jim Zorn

Posted by: sunnyman1 | December 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I ALWAYS TRY TO BE OBJECTIVE BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE ZORN LACKS PEOPLE SKILLS. HE WILL NOT SUCEED AS A COACH IN THE NFL. I MUST ADMIT HE GIVES ONE THE IMPRESSION HE IS INVENTING NEW ROCKET SCIENCE ON THE SIDE LINES. IT IS INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN KNOCKED AROUND PLAYING FOOTBALL SEEM TO SUPPORT PORTIS WHEREAS THE NONE PLAYERS AMONG THE PUNDITS SUPPORT THE COACH. WHERE WILL SNYDER COME DOWN?

Posted by: kcandlc | December 10, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Where are these so-called "veiled" reports about Jim's job security.What exactly is or has been said about his job? That is news to me. Why are some specifics not provided on these "reports"? But it wouldn't surprise me that this kind of talk maybe going around considering who owns this team, how it is run and the media there.

All I can say is Jim won't worry about getting fired. That is something he never has worried about in the coaching profession. That is just an accepted reality of being in that industry. More importantly life will go on just fine for him if he is fired. Football is not his life. Just his vocation.

Posted by: afriendofzorn | December 10, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

So let's try a worse case scenario....the Skins lose 2 or even 3 out of their final 3 and Zorn is fired.

What then? Campbell will get yet another Offensive system to learn? We pay someone like Cower $10 million a yr and then he quits after 2 yrs becuase he can't work for Snyder.

The reality is that Zorn was hired because very few coaches are willing to work for Snyder...no secret there. Snyder looks like a total buffoon is he fires Zorn less than 12 months after his "exhaustive" coaching search ended with him hiring Zorn last spring. Then again, nothing around here would shock me.

Posted by: ashburn47 | December 10, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is lost and now saying Portis isn't blocking correctly? Portis is one of if not the best running backs at blocking on passing plays.
Campbell can't pull the trigger quick enough and Zorn is in over his head, don't blame Portis who has played hurt all year and a few weeks ago was the TOP running back in the NFL.

Just more proof Snyder needs to hire a GM PERIOD!

Posted by: smithrob26 | December 10, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Explain to me what other team has EVER hired a QB coach with no head coach experience as their head coach. NONE. Campbell is not our answer either

Posted by: smithrob26 | December 10, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse