The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

I'm going to save my treatise on the Wildcat formation until the morning, and end today with Rock on Teams.

The Browns have who many believe to be the second-best return guy in the NFL - Joshua Cribbs - and that dominates the talk this week. Yes, the Browns rank 32nd in average kickoff return, but that's because Cribbs has been hurt. He's averaging 24 yards per return and has taken one of his six returns for 44 yards.

"He's a special returner," Cartwright said. "Any time you go to the Pro Bowl as a returner, you have that leverage. We know what he brings to the table; we've just got to tackle him.

"With his vision, he's able to see holes before they happen, really, and he's knows the blocking scheme. And he's powerful, too. A lot of people don't realize that about him. He's able to drag tacklers. That's a good thing for him. Everybody's got to wrap up."

Cartwright said the Browns are the rare team that has not attempted to rush a punt this season. Looking at all the film, going all the way back to the start of the preseason, Cleveland never once brought pressure. With someone as skilled as Cribbs shagging punts, it's not a total surprise, but it also makes the Skins wonder a little if maybe the Browns might do something out of character this week to catch them off guard on teams.

"They might come out and rush against us. We have to be prepared for that," Cartwright said. "That's pretty interesting to see a team that hasn't rushed at all in the preseason. They've never rushed at all. They just return. And we've been struggling at punting a bit, so I would imagine they would just try to return on us, but you never know."

Cartwright said the issues in the punting game go beyond the struggles of rookie Durant Brooks. The Skins have been at the bottom of the NFL in most punting stats all season.

"It's mainly just staying in our lanes, not to stack each other on covering punts," Cartwright said. "Punting is a team statistic. You've got the hang time and the coverage. We weren't able to get the hang time out of Durant, but hopefully Ryan, I can't pronounce his name - Plackemeier I guess it is [Rock actually delivered a phonetically perfect rendering of the new punter's name here]? He's punted great this week, but that's practice, and hopefully he can give us what we need and help us get back to our standards and expectations around here."

...

Steinberg reports on "the hit stick."

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 16, 2008; 5:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Secondary Injuries Are a Concern
Next: Declawing a Wildcat

Comments

first!

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Kinda sorry to have to break up our food talk (on the other thread). Back to speaking of the Browns, every time we've played them since '04 I think about how the talk was that we were going to take Winslow. We ended up with ST21 and Cooley. Even though we will miss what ST would have become, I am glad we made those picks. I just wish everybody else got to know ST the way Redskins Nation did.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Seems like every other week we have to face one of the best freakin' return men in the game... criminy! And in a season when our special teams are unusually bad! Jeepers! Golly! Crap!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"Cartwright said he is trying to get the ball to the 31-yard line on every return, his goal every week."

Because he's number 31? Shoot, if that's the case, Rock needs Khary Campbell's jersey.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

What a coincidence! I also want Rock to get the ball to the 31-yard-line on every kick return... the opponent's 31-yard-line. Aim high!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

More food...

Single best "local cuisine" food item I ever tasted: Cane River Cream Pie, at Lasyone's in Natchitoches, LA.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

yet another week of peeing myself as the Punt team comes on.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"Hit Stick," huh?

Is that anything like a boom stick?

(And remember: Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.)

Posted by: freakzilla | October 16, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Alex -- your peeing comment reminded me of this --

CEO --Chief Embezzlement Officer.

CFO-- Corporate Fraud Officer.

BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor to
mistake himself for a financial genius.

BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no
allowance, the wife gets no jewelry, and the husband gets no sex.

VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.

P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their pants
as the market keeps crashing.

BROKER -- What my broker has made me.

STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.

STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your
assets equally between themselves.

FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been disconnected.

MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.

CASH FLOW-- The movement your money makes as it disappears
down the toilet.

YAHOO -- What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker
for $240 per share.

WINDOWS -- What you jump out of when you're the sucker who
bought Yahoo @ $240 per share.

INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past year investor who's now locked
up in a nuthouse.

PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

"Hit Stick," huh?

Is that anything like a boom stick?

(And remember: Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.)

Posted by: freakzilla

Well Hello Mr.Fancy Pants!

Posted by: kost52 | October 16, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Joshua Cribbs scares the hell out of me. I sure hope Ryan P does a good job of punting because Cribbs is very explosive and could make us pay.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I am only now realizing how vague my earlier comment was. I was referring to the '04 draft where we picked 5th (I think) and Cleveland picked 6th. A lot of people thought, because it was the first Gibbs 2.0 draft and they knew his fondness for "H-Backs", that we would take Winslow with the 5th pick. We ended up taking ST and Winslow went 6th to Cleveland. We played them that year and Winslow said he was going to make gibbs regret not taking him. He, of course, was injured by the time they played.

I also said "every time we play them", I think of that draft. I now realize this is only the 2nd time we've played them since them. I guess I am beginning to confuse REAL Redskins seasons with all of my Madden Redskins seasons, where I suppose I've played the Browns several times.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what anyone says, I think thats one of the funniest movies ever.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 6:55 PM |

I remember that. I think that Cleveland actually traded up to get Winslow. They paid a big price -- their first and second round picks to move up one place.

Cleveland traded with Detroit who chose Roy Williams with the eight pick and Teddy Lehman, a linebacker, in the second round. Teddy Lehman is no longer in the league.

Everything since then has shown that the 'Skins were brilliant for choosing Taylor over his obnoxious and over-hyped teammate, "The Chosen One."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Obnoxious?

Over-hyped?

"Chosen One?"

I thought SeanTay went to Miami, not Columbia.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 16, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

To any skin fans around Dayton,OH area.
A few of us meet at Springboro BW3 to watch the skins games. I know how hard it is to find another skin fan around our area. You dont have to cheer alone any longer.

Posted by: Ohioskin | October 16, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

alex35332 - I love me some Bruce Campbell, and I head that Sam Raimi is thinking about making a 4th sometime in the near future!

Posted by: kost52 | October 16, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Not only were they brilliant in selecting Taylor over Winslow, but in pinpointing Cooley for a 3rd round pick and guessing that he would not be much drop-off than KW. Turns out Cooley has been much better, and I think fits the 'Skins personality better too.

Ohioskin, you should go to the game in December. Are there any 'Skins fans on here from Chattanooga? That's where I am, and its lonely at times. The fans are so fickle - they root for the Titans or Falcons, whichever happens to be winning at the time. That is, when they're not paying attention to the lowly UT Vols.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I should clarify again - Chattanooga's great. I love it here and it actually has a lot going on for a small town. All I meant was it's just lonely being a 'Skins fan in stupid College Football country.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 16, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

jwlemons-I will definetly be going to that game along with 3 other skin fans. Last time the skins played in Cinci (preseason) there were as many skins fans as bengals. HAIL

Posted by: Ohioskin | October 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap did Shelly Jenkins just give the redskins some props in her recent article. That is refreshing considering that it comes from her even though no Redskin fan could everlike her.

Posted by: Hawkeye5 | October 16, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I'm thinkin Rock neesds Colt Brennan's number...their 5 yd line that is of course. Maybe that's a tad greedy.

Ohioskin, you goin to Skins-Bengals?

Rock on Rock. You's one bad Wildcat.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 16, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

how cute freakzilla, you made a funny......

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Just think Freakzilla, you will get 4 years to work on material....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Sox are about to win this series. No chance they lose in Tampa if they pull off this miracle.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 17, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hawkeye5 | October 16, 2008 11:11 PM |

Sally Jenkins will always find a warm reception from Redskins fans who hate the owner but love the team and, now, the coach. Of course, there can't be many people like that, can there?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 17, 2008 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Q&A With: Shaun Alexander

Site Staff
WarpathInsiders.com Oct 15, 2008

The newest Redskins running back shared his thoughts on coming to Washington and being a backup.

Q: You’ve never been a backup; is that going to be hard?
A: It’s not going to be hard. Football players play football. I told Clinton I want him to rush for 2,000 yards and play well and do something that is special that we can all remember. After that I want the team to go to the Super Bowl and win it. My goals are still the same: Go out there, play hard and make plays and help us get to the Super Bowl. So it’s going to be easy.

Q: When you got the call, what did Jim say to you?
A: Actually, Stump had called and asked how was I doing and was I doing and I was still healthy and ready to come back and all the answers were definitely yes. He said we need you. So I jumped on the plane and got out there and told our three little daughters we’re moving to Washington, D.C. and they were like, ‘Yeah!’ You get a 5-year-0old and a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old to scream about Washington, D.C. and you probably did a good thing.

Q: Can you believe you were out this long?
A: Yeah, football is a business. Everyone has to put their team together. I was physically not ready to go by the draft. After that, teams put their teams together and now were waiting to see if I would be hungry again and if I was heal thy enough to play. Of course, unfortunately there has to be injuries so I had to sit and wait my time that way. It’s not the most peaceful way to do it in a household, but that’s the way I had to do it.

Q: What about sharing time with Clinton?
A: We’ve always been real cool. People that have talent and done good things for their team always respect other guys. I’ve had nothing but respect for Clinton. He’s an amazing player and he’s given me the same love. Anytime you get two guys who play hard and like to win it always works out.

Q: Was there ever a point in time you considered not playing?
A: No. I always knew I was going to play. I just had to wait my turn.

Q: What do you bring to the table?
A: I think I’m going to play well. I’m stronger than I’ve ever been just from working out and being back. This is the best I’ve felt in two years. Hopefully I’ll be able to do something special.

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/801450.html

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 17, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Good story by Reid on Dirty Thirty. Hard to believe the Reaper no longer here. Rest in peace little brother.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 17, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

How bout them RED SOX!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 17, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I'M A SOLDIER!!! I'M A F'ING SOLIDER!!!!!!!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | October 17, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse