The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

As we do every week, we checked in with Rock Cartwright for the special teams report. In the Seattle Seahawks, the Skins have an opponent they know well, since they played the Seahawks there in the playoffs on Jan. 5. Cartwright said the Seahawks are largely the same, although personnel in the return game has changed.

Seattle has two young returners who look good on film. Corner Josh Wilson (Maryland) is thriving on kickoffs, fourth in the NFC with an average of 25.8 per return.

"Not sure what year they are but I know they're both pretty good," Cartwright said. "They're both pretty hard to bring down so we've got to really wrap up and tackle well. It's going to be a tough match-up for us. They rank fourth in the league in kickoff starting field position, so it's going to be a battle for us."

Cartwright said special teams coach Danny Smith is focusing on fundamentals this week. "The main thing is just tackling," Cartwright said. "Running and covering kickoffs. Make sure we stay in our lanes on punt protection and make sure we communicate well. Those are the main things, but we always try to get better in every phase of the game"

The Redskins lost one of their leaders and top producers on special teams when corner Leigh Torrence was released. Cartwright said the unit handled the departure well in the Dallas game, with rookie corner Justin Tryon and rookie receiver Devin Thomas splitting Torrence's duties.

"I don't think it affected us too much," Cartwright said. "Guys stepped up and played pretty decent. Tryon made plays and Devin made some plays. We miss Leigh, but at the same time we got two guys who we think can come in and fill his role, and I thought they did pretty good. We're definitely going to depend on those guys and hope they can come in and continue to do the good things they did last week."

As we touched on earlier, Cartwright thought the touchback call on him Sunday night was incorrect, believing he threw the ball out of the end zone before landing there (and believing the ball was downed before it bounced into him in the end zone).

"Those things happen, but I'm going to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again if I get in that situation again. It's not my call. I was just trying to make a play and hopefully we get it corrected and it won't happen again."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 20, 2008; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Kelly, S. Alexander Be Active Sunday?
Next: Smells Like a Close Game

Comments

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LEIGH F-ING TORRENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE IT UP JASNO!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 20, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

??beer in Seattle??

there oughta be some people checking this who want to meet up with freakzilla and me for a beer Saturday night, or who maybe want to share your tailgating feast with us Sunday morning, right? sure. drop me a line.

nateinthepdx at gmail dot com

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 20, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Holy--! We released Leigh Torrence?!?!

Posted by: freakzilla | November 20, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"What do we remember from bygone years? HITS!" -- SMACK

Indeed Smack. Yes indeedy. The HITS...

Posted by: 4-12 | November 20, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we're having a bit of a changing of the game, toughness wise over here too. League officials think that if mothers see too many concussions and fights, that they'll urge their children to play something soft like soccer or basketball.

Posted by: kost52 | November 20, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Dude Jasno is hilarious with the Torrance spin...You know hes doing that on purpose..I love it...Its like poking your sister in the ribs as a kid..When she says stop, you just keep doing it and doing it until you get bored.

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 20, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

You all probably have seen this already but if not, check it out...fabulous article about our beloved Sean T.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 20, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I really miss Leigh. Our special teams and nickel defense will forever be compromised because of this profound loss.

JLC, I hope you can continue to work Leigh into every Rock report for the rest of the season. Each week ask him if the loss is a little more palatable as time goes on. Inquire if Rock has talked to him. If there happens to be a decent return, ask Rock if Leigh would have been able to prevent that.

Posted by: gallrick | November 20, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 20, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

After reveiwing that loss to the cowgirls, it has come to my attention that if Leigh Torrance had still been on the team the Skins would have won.

I know Blache would have had Leigh creeping up to the line of scrimmage to prevent those stretch plays that killed the skins.

Alas, there is no Leigh...such a profound loss.

Posted by: gallrick | November 20, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that the local DC paper has the Redskins below the Cowboys in the standings when we own the current tiebreaker? If I'm not mistaken, first tiebreaker is head to head(tied), 2nd tiebreaker is division record(tied), and the 3rd tiebreaker is conference record(we are better). I would've expected this from ESPN, but they have it right.....weird that a national organization would have it correct and the local paper that supposedly covers the Redskins can't seem to figure that out. Shameful....

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 20, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Robin - I noticed that on Monday, thought I was wrong about the tiebreaker until i read some article on Tuesday that if the playoffs were today, we are the 6 seed and the Cowboys are watching us from their couches.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 20, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn better be joking about not playing Kelly this weekend.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Awesome article Lisa!

Posted by: kost52 | November 20, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 20, 2008 6:38 PM

here here??? what is the deal?
no respect!

by the way who runs the clock at skin games? we never seem to get a home clock??

Posted by: mdepo | November 20, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

do NOT click this link

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 20, 2008 6:36 PM

I'm thinking maybe I should give Andre some tips on working his upper arms.

Posted by: kost52 | November 20, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

the question is who is responsible for the headsets at FedEx? Every game at least once you see Soup with his hands in the air like he can't hear anything...you'd think we could get it sorted out.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 20, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Here is a great Leigh Torrence quote. Dude was the man:

I'm Leigh Torrence. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN and loved only one woman with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Moose33,

We need a communications guru for that.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The reason the WaPo can't get the standings correct is because Mr Torrence is no longer with the team. Everyone knows he was THE actual tie-breaker, and we cut him.

Thanks go to JLC for keeping it honest and upfront here at RI, he's absolutely the best beat reporter a team could ever have.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: craig2 | November 20, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

They served a great white chili with extra crackers.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 20, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

This was great!

Posted by: mmok1 | November 20, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

"Leigh Torrence, what is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

"That is good."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 20, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

"That is good."

Posted by: NateinthePDX |

Nate that makes me want to bring the hammer back. lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Silly jm220, Conan used a sword, not a hammer!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 20, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice misdirection craig2. Very surprising. But remember to save some of your exclamation points for next time.

Posted by: mack1 | November 20, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Torrence: "You can help me. Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together. Do you understand? If we stay together we survive."

FO did not listen, hence the loss to the girls.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Silly jm220, Conan used a sword, not a hammer!

Posted by: NateinthePDX

No Nate you are silly. Remember one of the guys he had to fight in that movie use the hammer.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mack, I always say "why save 'em, ya can't take 'em with ya", so what the hell?

Posted by: craig2 | November 20, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Good philosophy craig.
I'm curious though, why all the anger toward JLC? So he's a little negative sometimes, who cares? We use him and this blog for info on our team and to chat with like minded fans. Why get all worked up over a perceived bias?

Posted by: mack1 | November 20, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I am holding a candle light vigil a la ST outside of Redskin Park. I am painting a number 29 on one side of my driveway in Newport News, Va to comemmorate him forever. As you all know it is because of Leigh that we were able to acheive a 6-4 record. God Bless Leigh.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 8:00 PM

Correction, 6-3, we're 0-1 in the Post-Torrence Era

Posted by: kost52 | November 20, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Good philosophy craig.

Umm because its not perceived. Its a real bias. And because of it, JLC is locked out of real insider info sometimes. And he needs to be held accountable for the bias he brings to the blogs.
Just like he holds the FO accountable for their mistakes.

But I like the bloggers on here. And thats what keeps this blog interesting.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Just remember, great men were made by other great men. Patton had Rommel. Grant had Lee! Jasno is stuck with vinny!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Predator48 as others pointed out to me today. Focus on what we really come here for. Let the other stuff go. They are 100% right.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

come for the biased reporting...stay for the jibba jabba.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 20, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 8:17 PM

Woo! JM has found religion, based on the preachings of the evangelist, ChRisT(opher) LarRy. And now, he's preaching with the zeal of the newly converted.

JM, I liked you just the way you are. But if you want to shift, slightly, that's okay too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Which is the better team name: Giants or Titans?

Only now does it occur to me that perhaps the two best teams in the league have names that essentially mean the same thing.

Of course one of the definitions of Titans is one of the sons of Uranus...that can't be a good thing really, right Poop?

I'll go with Giants.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 20, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey, skins need to do whatever they can to get Michael Johnson of GT. He is a beast!!!!
Trade whoever you got to in order to get draft position. I'm not kidding!!!

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Remember that look back in the late 80s where girls would wear bulky sweaters with stretch pants?

That's what the Bengals' uniform looks like.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 20, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"bias he brings to the blogs."

you do realize blogs are all about opinions right?

Conan is the best character in fiction ever
! Movies/comics/novels...;ove the dude.

And JM the dude with hAmmer was bad azz!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 20, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

TE I have no problem changing if I am proven wrong. CL and others are right.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are 0-1 w/out Leigh Torrence. They will lose every game from now until the apocalypse. Vinnie Cerrarto should be drawn and quartered for letting Leigh the Great slip from his grasp. LT (the real LT not that cheap fake Lawrence Taylor) will go down as the greatest impact player in the history of the sport and the Skins will rue the day they cut him. No wins ever again.

Posted by: mmmhmmm | November 20, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I hear you predator48. But the Post V Skins feuding started long before Jasno. He can be a bit prickish, sure. But if Larry Michaels hates him he's alright with me.

Posted by: mack1 | November 20, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

"bias he brings to the blogs."

you do realize blogs are all about opinions right?

Conan is the best character in fiction ever
! Movies/comics/novels...;ove the dude.

And JM the dude with hAmmer was bad azz!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 20, 2008 8:42 PM |

No the posters are all about opinions. The "supposed" insider should be about providing inside information for us "bloggers" to opinionate about.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | November 20, 2008 8:45 PM

I understand, but once JLC tried to snitch he lost all objectivity with me.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I am just poisoned by NYC media, but they are hella good. They are deeeep at the skill positions, and nasty on the line.

Also my natural preference is NFC.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 20, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

predator48, you really don't understand how a blog works. We are posters, not bloggers.

The writer is the blogger and its a place for opinions. In the context of a major publications blog its akin to a column. Joel Klein writes opinion on his Time blog, ditto Chris Cilizza on The Fix etc etc....

but whateves...I do love your handle.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 20, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

cL, what does the NY media think about Eli? Are they believers, or still waiting to be convinced like most of the rest of us?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 20, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

NYC is in the tank for Eli. NYC loves a champion, Eli delivered. NYC also loves a survivor and this town pummeled Eli and he survived. NYC is the tank for Eli.

Quite frankly I am convinced, dude won a superbowl, and played out of his mind in the game to boot. Now do I hope he crashes and burns, of course!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 20, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

dont get me wrong, F Eli!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 20, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

WTF! I guess you wearing Eli panties now CL. LOL

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

WOW!! The never ending JLC sucks/no he doesn't suck um, never ends. Sad.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 20, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Eli still blows. He'll F it up in the playoffs this go around. Brandon Jacobs and the OL make that team go.

Jasno's chat today was so nauseating I couldn't even read through it. Continuous shots again at Vinny (I don't like Ceratto but get off it already). He makes some good and bad moves just like every other GM. Jasno acts like every move is awful and we are 0-10. The he contradicts himself saying no needs were addressed, then talks about WR as a need. They drafted 2 WR's who have not panned out, they could eventually. If we traded for Chad Johnson he would have bad mouthed that move. I'd rather have the potential of the 2 kids anyway.

Jasno thinks he has the 20/20 hindsight and knows all. In reality he is a napolean complex dbag with a bad taste in music.

Leigh Torrence for HOF.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 20, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful snow in Pittsburgh!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 20, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

In reality he is a napolean complex dbag with a bad taste in music.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 20, 2008 9:16 PM

Oh, man, you got him where he lives -- his bad taste in music! Do you think he has bad breath, too?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Rock,
Next time the ball is lying dead on the 2-yard-line, get the #%^@ away from it. Don't be a hero and dive on it when you don't have to. You cost us a ballgame.

Posted by: josettes | November 20, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I swear, after winning the FFL last season, I must've gobbed off a bit to much, the fantasy football gods are out to get me this year. Two weeks ago I forgot about the early Thursday night game and had Derek Anderson as my QB (His first game out for Brady Quinn), while Phillip Rivers scored 20 on my bench. I lost the game by a point.
Last week I left 25 points on the bench, to lose a game by 2 points. And now Heath Miller (on my bench) is actually being used in the Steelers offense for once.

Posted by: kost52 | November 20, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

His obession with Cerrato is scary. Wait till Jason stands in the mirror and does the "tuck" trick.
Cerrato's going to be in a hole in JLC's basement being told "it puts the lotion on the draft pick!".

The guy contradicts himself all over his chat, and nobody cares what's on his ipod.
Or, they shouldn't. This isnt facebook, people.

Or, change the name to Jason LaConfora Insider. I'm supposed to be getting "inside" info. About the redskins.

There's more info about practice, players, coaches on 980am, for crying out loud.

Posted by: kreator6996 | November 20, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, but once it's been found out the guy is a serial killer, do you fire him, suspend him or what?

Posted by: kost52 | November 20, 2008 5:38 PM

Hide the serial.

Posted by: dcsween | November 20, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Aww man I missed the Connan debate.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 9:34 PM

Nah, only contact I have with losers like yourself and Jasno is indirect thankfully. But you keep at it with your hilarious wit.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 20, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Happy Holidays Jason LaTempleton!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 21, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

First!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 21, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow... is it the offseason already?

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 21, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Reading the holmgren quotes from when zorny was hired and yesterday it seems to me that they think that zorny wasn't the brightest bulb or the sharpest knife in Seattle...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 21, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

JLC,

KEEP MY NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AND OFF YOUR KEYBOARD! Or I'm coming back for you!

Sincerely,

Leigh Torrence

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Josh Wilson is also a DeMatha grad! Hell yeah!!!

Posted by: brocknbone33 | November 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Can we get over this Leigh Torrence being the best special teams player ever thing?? All I saw was him constantly being pushed out of bounds and never making tackles.

Posted by: tonyc | November 21, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse