The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

I told Rock Cartwright that he might be on thin ice. I love the Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report as much as the next guy - heck, I invented it - but I told the running back that we need a little more controversy, a little more buzz. Every week he wants to spread the dap around to his special teams brethren. And if we're talking about New Orleans, Dallas or Philly, I'm with him.

But I told the dude, look, you can't come on the blog and try to do some Joe Paterno routine and just talk up the St. Louis special teams units all day long. We ain't having it, Rock. Yes, the Rams lead the league in punting, but this winless outfit doesn't rank above 16th in any other category: Kickoff return average - 27th; opponent kickoff return average - 23rd; punt return average - 23rd; opponent punt return average - 26th.

Not a pretty picture. Now, I did get Rock to concede that the Rams have not performed as well as some of Washington's other opponents on teams, but he's still kinda spreading the love. What can I say? The Special Teams Report is a fixture, and here's what I was able to get from Cartwright this week:

First, Rock ripped himself a bit, believing he should be getting more yards on kickoff returns. For the record, the Skins rank eighth in this category and Cartwright has been a huge boost over the last two years to a previously stagnant return game.

Then, he defended the Rams' teams guys a bit (warned you guys on that one): "If those guys wasn't good special teams guys, they wouldn't be in the league," Cartwright said. "Everybody's good up here. It's true that some guys take more pride in it, but those guys are playing well right now."

Rock focused on return specialist and former Pro Bowler Dante Hall. "They got one of the greatest punt returners who ever played the game. Dante Hall is definitely the X-factor. He can bust one at any time. So we're going to have our hands full. We definitely have to get good punts [my editorial note: good luck with that] and we need to cover well and go out there and play physical."

I pointed out to Rock that I don't recall having seen Dante Hall dancing in the end zone for quite some time. He did his damage as a younger guy with K.C., not St. L., and he concurred that the man might not be as amazing as he once was, but still has talent. (I looked up the stats - Hall has not returned a kickoff for a TD since 2005, though he did take one punt to the house in 2007 and one in 2006.)

"Of course he don't have the explosion he once had," Cartwright said, "but he still has the ability to make guys miss and he still runs the ball well. He's definitely the X-factor still. We're going to have to come out ready to stop him."

I also wondered if the fact that the Rams are a wounded animal - unable to score on offense, hemorrhaging points on defense - makes them more of a special teams threat. Wouldn't a team with nothing to lose, already on its second coach of the season and coming off a bye week in dire straights, take more gambles on teams to try to generate points? Rock thinks so ("They're desperate for a win, so you've got to expect any and every thing.")

"We had a return against us last week, so I know they're going to want to come out and return the football," Cartwright said. "We've got to get things together."

I actually believe special teams will be huge in this game. It's a way the Rams could muster some momentum, change the game a bit and make the Skins chase. I'm figuring Dante Hall will be a marked man.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 8, 2008; 2:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's Out as Practice Begins
Next: Zorn Gives Injury Update

Comments

New Post Got ME....repost time

Talk radio here in Dallas yesterday...( God, can't believe I live here...) discussed rating the 4 NFC QB's. One host argued that He would take Campbell to start his team...over Romo and LBM.

Thoughts?? Is it too early with not enough consistancy to make that statement?? How would you rank 'em...

For me...Starting a team Right Now...
1. Romo
2. Campbell
3. LBM (Little brother Manning)
4. McNabb ( simply because of age and injuries)

Thoughts?????

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Watch for a surprise on-side kick from them either to open the game or the second half. A lot of teams with nothing to loose do this.

Posted by: wstclair | October 8, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice words about Zorn (and beating Cindy to the punch):

Posted by: tafka | October 8, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

f first
f second
third

Posted by: wstclair | October 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

+++I actually believe special teams will be huge in this game

By Jason La Canfora | October 8, 2008; 2:15 PM ET +++

As opposed to every other game, when Special Teams is never huge. Don't worry about the other 11 games.

signed mr. obvious

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I would take JC in a heartbeat. He's more thoughtful with the ball, but just as capable of making plays as Romo when needed.

This team hasn't needed him to be any more than he has been so far this season(efficient and smart with the ball, and let's hope it stays that way) but he has shown that he's capable of keeping up in a shootout too.

Posted by: craig2 | October 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | October 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I had to do a double take on Dante Hall. That dude is so old! I thought he was out of the league by now!

And we got one guy on this blog pulling a Joe Gibbs talking about how dangerous Torry Holt is.

Gimme a break, this team is garbage!

but I do love how the Redskins NEVER, I repeat, NEVER give anybody bulletin board material.

And where are all the people who were yelling to cut Rock in the preseason? Does anyone even REMEMBER who the 5th string RB everyone wanted to keep was?

I said "Keep Rock, he's a true Redskin!" people said "Oh shut up with that! He's not the best for the job!" Pfft, yall should be happy Zorn gave that other guy (5th string RB, honestly can't remember his name) a chance to show what he had in preseason. Still waiting for him to be offensive player of the month!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

What about the 4 quality starting RB's??? These are 4 good one in the NFC East...

S.E. Jerome
Westbrook
Jacobs
Marion "the Barbarian" Barber

Rank these guys to start your team ...today.

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You can't argue with that because I used a statistic.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | October 8, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

not even fair, once again I'm biased and don't care, but I'll take :

Portis for the all-around best
then a tossup for Jacobs and Barber, although I'd probably lean towards Barber
then Westbrook in a not-too-distant fourth

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back......Marcus Mason by the way....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

...we need to cover well and go out there and play physical.

'Cause when we play physical, we WIN!

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

++Odds of seeing an onside kick this weekend from the Rams in the first three quarters: 78%.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | October 8, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse++

Odds of seeing an onside kick this weekend from the Rams in the 4th quarter: 100% ..you gotta try that when you are behind by 18 with 41/2 min left !!!!

( Hoping to have an easy game for once !!)

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth11:then Westbrook in a not-too-distant fourth.

This kind of insight leads me to not listen to your opinion. I believe Westbrook is the best weapon from the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The Rock rocks!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go: Portis, Westbrook, Jacobs, and Barber.

Portis becuase he's the best all around back. Westbrook because he can catch and run--he should've won MVP two years ago. Jacobs 'cause he'll just bowl you over (sorry Dirty30), and Barber is just a friggin' beast like monster type dude.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Where is local boy Marcus Mason? Is he on the practice squad? Please say yes...

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | October 8, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Brooks is a crooks. He is stealing his paycheck right now!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 8, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I believe Marcus Mason was signed to the Ravens practice squad. Felt he had a better shot of making the roster there.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 8, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Great way not to take the bait Rock! People keep trying to make controversary out of nothing.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 8, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Sir Anon is correct. Mason is in Hon'town

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"TheTruth11:then Westbrook in a not-too-distant fourth.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 8, 2008 2:42 PM "

Clinton Portis - 27
Brandon Jacobs - 26
Marion Barber - 25
Brian Westbrook - 31

EOM

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Redskins blow this team out of the water, and Portis only carry about 12-15 times. Betts needs to get more of the carries...don't want to grind CP down to a knub....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:31 PM

"Looksie mummy I made a ayerplane!"

*yawn*

Still waiting on your weekly tuck and roll routine.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Greg I am 100% behind you. Save CP for Pit as much as we can.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

go back to the DMV and make me a license

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Not just Pitt, but the end of the year.

I'd prefer he got under 300 carries. Betts needs to be carrying the ball in the area of 10 times a game.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

How can you blast the Ram at the start then state the Skins will be chasing them? You really just need to go! I hope they continue to win because I know more than anything that gets under your skin.

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 8, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

this is the best zorn thingie i read so far:

Its not delivery, its DiZorno!

Posted by: Get to Da Choppa | October 8, 2008 2:20 PM

from sportsbog...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 8, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

B every time Betts carry I hold my breath thinking he is going to give it up again.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 8, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Age has nothing to do with it. Westbrook has more yards from scrimmage than any of the backs on that list.

Except Portis.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes age obviously has something to do with it because you're picking which one you would start your team with if you were starting a team today.

How many years you think Westbrook has left?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

jm, trust him, he's over his fumbling ways....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 8, 2008 3:02 PM

Me too!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 8, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

go back to the DMV and make me a license

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:56 PM

Pure unadulterated genius. Great comeback.

You're not old enough to drive yet little man. In the meantime get a box of Cracker Jacks...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

jm220, why so much hate dude? i thought you guys (jasno and you) were buds? what happened? he did so much for you guys when you went to NOLA. it's only a game, a distraction, and to put that before actual meaningful things is sorta lame. i'm not seeing anything malicious by jasno. dude, did you forget what he did with #21's reporting? he's not a bad guy.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 8, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Greg, can't believe we agree ... I've supported a RB philosophy that has Portis carry the load 12 games, Betts carry the load in 4 games. After 5 games, its time to give CP a light week. 16 heavy duty games for Portis just beats him down too much.

I agree with various posters who are concerned abut the Skins playing down to the competition. Its a concern, but I don't think this will occur, with guys like Fletcher and Samuels, who know better. The Skins had very few beat down games under Gibbs, be good to put StL away early. Always a different kind of challenge when playing a team with nothing to lose.

I'm also glad this game is at home. I have a gut feeling that this Skins team isn't at its best inside a dome.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Rock is taking a page from Gibbs - not wanting to give the other team bulletin board material. JLC - give it a rest. You're not going to get "material" from this veteran team. Be happy you're getting something...

Posted by: executivesource | October 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Jason La Canfora is the most biased reporter ever! What a loser. I hope we win the super bowl this year and I hope Vinny Cerrato invites you to a one on one candle lit dinner at Mortons where you will get the exclusive JLC, if ya know what I mean.

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | October 8, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Pure unadulterated genius. Great comeback.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:09 PM"

who's more immature? The guy that says a lame joke just kidding around or the guy that gets upset about said lame joke?

hrm....

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth11:then Westbrook in a not-too-distant fourth.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 8, 2008 2:42 PM

He said today. Today, Westbrook has a gimpy ankle and busyed ribs therefor he is last on the list. Portis is 1st, the other 2 are a tossup.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

How many years you think Westbrook has left?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:08 PM

Well... wait a minute.

You're not worth debating this issue... just checked you're post regarding Westbrook's age--He's not 31, he just turned 29.

Way to lie about someones age to justify your argument there, sparky. Get your facts straight first.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Brooks is a crooks. He is stealing his paycheck right now!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 8, 2008 2:46 PM |

Keep bringing the hate Guru. Now Brooks will outpunt God.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 8, 2008 3:02 PM

Me too!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 8, 2008 3:09 PM |

Me 3

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"Well... wait a minute.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:16 PM"

1) When did you become so obsessed with me?

2) I thought he was 31, my mistake. I didn't lie, I was wrong. Jeeze, you're a sad, sad person.

3) I'd still take Westbrook last because he's still the oldest and still seems to be the most worn down out of all the backs on the list.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Rock is taking a page from Gibbs...

actually he did say that dante hall has lost a step...that's bulletin board material

Posted by: dealer1 | October 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

You guys with your "Betts is a fumbler" are so lame. The dude has rushed 690 times and had 130 receptions. That's 820 touches. How many fumbles do you think he's had?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

z, I was unaware that we're never in co-hoots on the agreeing thing.

I'm not certain that you can just start Portis for 12 games, then Betts for 4. I think if you reduce the number of carries he has per game, limit it to 20-22, and give Betts the rest, then you do EVERYONE a world of good....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

and PS Red, you trying to make fun of me for being 22 isn't working. It just shows you are old and bitter.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth11, I know that you were kidding, dude. You should know that I was doing the same.

If I really wanted to beef, I could say a lot worse. I've said it before with a this same name attached, so don't think registration is holding me back.

But since it isn't like that at all...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 3:20 PM |

Not the point T_E. It just seems like he always fumbles in tense situations. Therefor it seems like he fumbles a lot because they are usually pretty costly.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: F_Registration | October 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Brooks sets to punt, punts away, its a high one, yes its going out of the stadium, and its his a 350 person on the parking lot wearing a wife beater with the word sports guru written on it in magic marker

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

So as a serious question, no one else seems to think this is going to be a game, I enjoy talking individual matchups which is why i was reppin Holt, maily because i feel like we will contain Jackson. But does anyone see an advantage going in the rams favor. I still think Holt might get the nod over Carlos, I would prefer Smoot on him, he plays the ball in the air better and Holt is all hands. There young DLINE guys in Long which people know and have seen and Carriker who a lot of people havent seen, the guy is a speciment not built like a typical interior lineman a lot more lean and lanky. I think those two could give us problems.

Does anyone else see any matchups that could be a puch or in the rams favor?

Posted by: Stu27 | October 8, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to repeat harping on the Truth. I didn't refresh after reading.

Before this season, the top rated backs were LT, AP and Westbrook. Westbrook was playing well and then turned his ankle. He does seem to be getting hurt more frequently. CP hasn't missed many games and most came in the one year when he broke his hand. All that said, every RB in the NFC East is definitely top 10.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Brian Westbrook isn't 31. He is 29. The Truth just makes up sh*t and posts it. Change your name to TheLiar11.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 8, 2008 3:23 PM"

lol @ TE

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

So, math not my strong point, 20 carries over 16 games is 320 carries, 22 carries over 16 games is 352.

What the heck do I know?? Not much I tell ya.....and such...maps or something.....bonus points??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2008 3:23 PM

When people write "everytime he touches the ball I hold my breath" it means "everytime." They don't write everytime he touches the ball in a "tense situation."

Anyway, the answer is ten. As I recall, he fumbles about the same percentage of touches as Portis, and less than Cartwright. But, scamp, to address your point then, how many "tense situations" has he been in, and how many times has he fumbled?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Man I've been waiting for it!! 4-1 can't keep the jabs at bay!! Sad that the news can't just be reported without bias.

Posted by: Lacantwrite | October 8, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Not too many players gain a step in the NFL after being in the league for 8 years. He's pretty much stating a fact.

Posted by: executivesource | October 8, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Is today's The Truth the same as pre-registration The Truth? This one goes one looooouder. This one goes to eleven.

Posted by: dcsween | October 8, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I think each game you need a feature back. One guy gets into a groove and the other does spot work. I think most runners get better as the game goes on -- they find that groove.

It sounds good to limit carries for the feature back, but it never seems to work out that way unless its a blow out and the feature back sits out the 4th quarter.

Of course, no team has adopted my approach ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 8, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

1) When did you become so obsessed with me?

Posted by: TheTruth11

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 3:21 PM

LOL.

Okay, shart-for-brains, lets get a few things clear. For starters I am in no way obsessed with a peon like you.
I think that you have bipolar or something the way you run off here when someone doesn't pay you any attention. Your need for attention sickens me. You come off as very anemic and overall pathetic. "WAWAWA, somebody please like me--WWAWAWA, somebody please love me, WAWWAWA--somebody please want me."

You my friend are ptiiful.

And for the record, I'm not old at all. Well, maybe according to your standards mentally I may, but I'm only 24.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

He's pretty much stating a fact. Posted by: executivesource

the way parcells did about jansen and jansen had a hissy fit and ran all over the girls in the next game?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 8, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

una vez mas:

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

All y'all Yeunglings need to simmer down. come at ME! I'm a MAN! I'm FOURTY!

hahahahahaha ... maps :-|

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

Rock follows up the "lost a step" comment with;

Seriously, you're reaching if you think that's bulletin board material. Rock is complimenting Hall.

Posted by: executivesource | October 8, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"we need a little more controversy, a little more buzz"?

"We" do? No, you do jasno...

maybe it'll get you that gig @ ESPN yet...

Posted by: RiverRat56 | October 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Double Bonus Points, dude, double...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 8, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I posted this earlier in the week, and I still think the way Blache et al will attack is to Double Holt w/ Carlos and LL over the top, and not allow Jackson to get untracked. Make the lesser receivers and the TE beat us if they can. I don't think they can. Horton and or Rocky Mac can cover any of their journeymen TEs. On offense, I look for heavy heavy doses of CP and LB and I hope to see Collins handing off to Rock midway through the 4th. I also think Zorn will try to make sure that Tana gets some balls this week and a touchdown if possible. Of course, it will depend on Rams not taking away Tana like the eagles did. I'm just saying that Zorn will try to get him some plays since he was catchless in Philly. I would really really really like to see Redskins finally finishing drives with TDs vice FG's. Good news Suisham is 7/7 last two games. Bad news: Suisham is 7/7 last two games instead of 2/3 or 3/3. THe socreboard has not YET reflected the dominance the Redskins have been exerting agasint thier opponents especially the last two weeks. I assume that heavy, heavy, heavy emphasis will be placed on finishing drives this week.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 8, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse