The Skinny on Mike Williams's Weight Loss

In addition to our story on Jason Campbell today, we took a closer look at what will be another key story line of the season: the offensive line that must protect Campbell. One thing that might have caught your eye was Mike Williams's dramatic weight loss.

When he signed with the Redskins as a free agent, Williams weighed 410 pounds, and a lot of observers probably ruled him out as a serious contributor. But now that he's down to 342, coaches are even more curious to see what kind of impact he could have, especially because Stephon Heyer hasn't solidified himself as the starting right tackle.

Williams actually started the year weighing about 450 pounds. So in less than eight months, he's lost more than 100 pounds, including about 40 in the past 1½ months.

"I know it might sound unheard of, but it's doable," Williams said. "You just have to do it right."

Williams went to Ian Danney of Arizona-based Performance Enhancement Professionals in mid-June weighing 374 pounds (actually, Danney says 374; Williams says 365). He left six weeks later and got down as low as 337 pounds. But that was too low, and Williams actually intentionally put a bit of the weight back on. Ideally, he wants to take the field weighing 345.

Williams says he carries anywhere from 220-270 pounds of lean muscle mass, so when he was pushing four bills and making the scale creak, he knew he could lose a lot before camp opened.

"I basically came up with a number that I wanted to lose. That was before I even signed with the Redskins," Williams said. "I was determined to get there. I know how I feel at that weight, I know how I move at that weight. If I can retain my strength, my agility and stuff like that, you can only get better at a smaller weight. Now I feel extremely great. I feel better, I sleep better, everything."

Offensive line coach Joe Bugel says that during the preseason Heyer will again see time at both left and right tackles, which means Williams will have plenty of opportunity to show what he can do on the right side.

"I'm excited for Mike because he's excited for himself," Bugel said. 'He said this is really the first time in his professional career he's gone into camp feeling this good. He feels real good about himself, and I think that's 95 percent of the battle. The guy is just a pleasure to be around. He backed up what he said he was going to do.

"I'm going to work the living crap out of him because I want him to be successful and he's shown he can work hard. I think he's given himself a tremendous chance to be a good football player. If he ends up being super successful, this guy could write a best-selling book."

As for the rest of the offensive line, they're intent on improving from last season. As Chris Samuels says, they don't have any other option.

"Last year, we really didn't do well at all. So this year, anything we do will actually be better," he said. "I'm confident we'll get back to where we want to be."

By Rick Maese  |  July 29, 2009; 9:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Knows He's on the Clock
Next: Live Tweeting: Zorn News Conference

Comments

FIRST of all, great job

Posted by: Skins63 | July 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

First in RI Power Rankings!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 9:45 AM

Do I understand that you're agreeing that he's not yet a franchise QB (like Mr. Snyder told him), but that you think he could be one someday if he improves (like Mr. Snyder told him)? Is this sort of like when the investment companies say "Past results are no guarantee of future performance?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

He's played 2 1/2. And if you compare the first 2 full seasons of Drew Brees' career (he only played one game as a rookie), Campbell's numbers are actually better. So all this stuff about him not being a franchise QB today means nothing if he is in 2009 or for another team in the future.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to work the living crap out of him

Hopefully last year was an abberation in Buges career. Sounds like these guys are determined. Whats the story on Rabach though, last I checked, he got himself shoved around pretty well last year. Hopefully someone is inserting their foot up his posterior, and he's put on about 20 pounds of muscle....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

And if he gets hungry, he can eat Antonio Pierce, provided he's not in an Orange Jumpsuit...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 10:00 AM

My argument was never that JC is a franchise QB, but that Snyder shouldn't be the guy to tell him that. He's about as qualified as you or I to do that...which is to say, not at all.

I don't argue that his numbers are average. I argue when people say his numbers are downright bad and that the offensive woes are his fault. We've seen bad QB play here, and JC shouldn't be included on that list.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:05 AM

Age doesn't matter in this, it's experience. Just because Brees came out a year younger than JC doesn't change my point. Brees had to play 2 full seasons before the light came on for him. And he had weapons around him. JC has a fraction of the talent and has better numbers in his first 2 full seasons. THAT'S the comparison I'm making.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

B,

I love Campbell as a person but he's never made his teammates better. It brings me no joy to say that but it's true. He's been giving a tough road with all the problems but apart from the plays he's made with his feet he's never "pulled one out" for the team.

Oh and I dislike Danny a great deal. I wish he'd sell but he probably is more qualified than we are to judge talent based on his exposure to football people over the last 10 years. Even if he wasn't however he can say whatever he wants, he signs the checks. When Campbell stops cashing paychecks he can ignore Danny all he wants.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Brownie, Soup's #s are ok.

Except for winning %. He needs help there. Hopefully he'll get it together enough to overcome the obsticals he faces.

(e.g. - oline, coarch, receivers, FO, ugly fans, bad stadium, questionably racist team moniker, bad phys trainers...overpriced cigaretts)

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Even if age doesn't matter then neither do 5 games. 11-4 27 tds, 65% completion and a pro bowl nod.

Anyway dead horse beaten. Let's hope the light switch goes on. He's backed into a wall and needs a big year or he'll be a backup his whole life more than likely. I hope he lets it all fly.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Gweez I guess you didn't see that game last year vs New Orleans (I was there with my sister). JC pulled that game out so you might what to check facts before making that statement.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't like to see that 'franchise QB' stuff start up again, because I'm not at all sure what it means. Here are some definitions from other sports blogs:

"A consistent winner over at least six seasons"

"A QB who can be trusted to lead his team to victory in winnable games"

"A QB who is the longterm solution to a team's needs."

"A quarterback that has shown, put up sufficient performances (either through stats or wins) or be considered to have the potential to put up the performances, to be successful in any franchise."

"You can't be a true franchise QB if you've only played in one scheme -- a franchise guy is like Kurt Warner, who wins wherever he goes."

"Peyton Manning. Period."

"Somebody who's better than the players around him and lifts the level of the team's play."

See why I hate this?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

OK - so let's put this in real world terms - you're promoted to a new job, and you have a pretty good manager - he has a game plan for you, and you set goals every so often and everything's moving in the right direction. Your manager is happy with you, and you feel positive and confident in your job, and where you're going.

But, every so often, the guy who owns the company, who isn't there day to day, decides that he just CAN'T let the people he hired do their jobs. So he comes by your cubicle and tells you that everything you're working on has to be done faster and better, and by the way, wash my limo in the parking lot.

Wouldn't that have a little bit of a detrimental impact on at least how you feel about your job, never mind your actual performance?

I think it would.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I am guessing if the skins don't sign JC17 then he will go to Minnesota or Denver or some other QBless city that is just desperate for a game manager type and then he will use that opportunity.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Sorry JM. To be honest I don't remember him pulling it out but I won't doubt. So 1 game in 36. NM then sign the guy to BBM contract numbers. I do remember the interceptions he's thrown from inside the 10 with less than 2 minutes left though.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Did Jason Campbell pay for these guys to attend the workout/fat camp? I'd say that it was probably a very good investment.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | July 29, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

What's stupid is Dan Snyder telling Jason Campbell he isn't what he wants him to be in a quarterback on the eve of his contract year.

Let Jim Zorn evaluate, praise, and remonstrate Campbell's successes and failures.

All the owner should do is sign checks, be encouraging, and sip beer from his luxury suite on Fall Sundays: and there is where Campbell should've told Snyder is weakness lies.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Here you go Gweez, a few from his bio on wiki.

On November 26, 2006, Campbell earned the first win of his pro career, leading the Redskins to a 17–13 victory over the Carolina Panthers. Campbell completed 11 passes on 23 attempts for 118 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception. Campbell threw a 66 yard touchdown pass to tight end Chris Cooley in the fourth quarter, which proved to be the decisive score. It was later discovered that Campbell's headset used to call plays had malfunctioned right before the play. Campbell called a play that he felt had gone well in practice, not knowing the intended play, and delivered the following touchdown pass.

On December 10, 2006, Campbell nearly made an astounding comeback against a surging Philadelphia Eagles team. Campbell led the Redskins to 16 unanswered second half points, while going 15 for 27 for 182 yards and a touchdown in the game. The touchdown was a long 34 yard strike to Antwaan Randle El, and the only difference in the game which ended in a 21–19 Redskins loss, was a tipped ball interception returned for a touchdown by the Eagles.

On September 17, 2007, Campbell showed his knee injury did not hold him back, as he led the Washington Redskins to a 20–12 win over the division rival Philadelphia Eagles.

On Oct. 7, 2007 Jason Campbell set career highs in completions, yards, and passer rating for a game against the Detroit Lions. His stats for the game were 23 of 29 for 248 yards and two touchdowns with a passer rating of 125.3 as he lead the Redskins to a 34-3 victory. Later in the week, he was named the NFC Offensive Player Of The Week

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Gweez I am sure there are more games. That is just the one I remember off the top of my head. I not saying to sign him to a big contract but say he didn't do something when he did. Or to make yourself feel right say oh 1-36. Your statement was wrong. Just man up and say you was wrong not come with other stuff to try to make yourself look good.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:27 AM

Um, that was his 3rd year as a starter. Which, I might add, was all played in the same system. His 2nd year he had a 67.5 QB rating and 11 tds to 15 picks. Even at his worst, Campbell has never had a season that bad.

And that crap about "not making his teammates better"...how many QBs do? That's rare in football, and the QB shouldn't have to overcompensate for a lack of talent around him. Right now only Big Ben, Brady and Brees do that. That's 3 starting QBs out of 32. It's obviously great to have, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

And Samson, I completely disagree with labeling Warner a franchise QB...dude is the definition of a system QB. Plus he's played with no less than 3 potention HoF WRs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

congrats to Mike Williams on the weight loss..
410 pounds to 330 pounds... thats one Sanjaya..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

samson151

"Here are some definitions from other sports blogs"

What's missing from the list is that a franchise quarterback--or any quarterback--excels when the FO puts all the right pieces in place in terms of personnel.

The panthers' Jake Delhomme is not a 'franchise quarterback' even with the Super Bowl appearance on his resume.

But he's in a place where the team drafts well, pays the right guys the right money, and avoids the 'big splashy move'.

For whatever reason, the skins' FO thinks it's made all the right personnel moves and blames Campbell for its shortcomings.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I like the ideas of the line pushing an SUV from the story. Good stuff.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Why does JC never get credit for the 2 game winning scores in his career. People seem to have selective memories and selective attention. 2006 TD pass to Cooley vs. Panthers - 2008 TD bomb to Moss vs. Saints... and I give him 1/2 credit for the Phins and Jets games in 2007.

and the philly here in 2008 - defense blew that one.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | July 29, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Youll be the best O-line in the NFL or my name aint Nathan Arizona!"

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 8:16 AM

Would YOU be afraid of an offensive line nicknamed the "Huffheinz Line"?

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

maybe because you have to go back to 2006 for one of the 2 examples..
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and the philly here in 2008 - defense blew that one.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | July 29, 2009 10:50 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

truth be told, I'm not sure I want Dock that light, 316. I want him to be a mauler, road grader type........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

whats the news on Randy Thomas?? Anything??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Williams says he carries anywhere from 220-270 pounds of lean muscle mass"

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

JM ok, I was wrong. I wasn't being literal but I suppose he has technically pulled one or two out for the team.

Brownwood like I said it's a dead horse but you're talking about a 5 game difference.

All that continuity and better teammates stuff is subjective. He had a pro bowl rb and 4th ranked defense last year.

If he'd put up BBM numbers when Saunders was here Saunders would still be here. Zorn was brought in to help JC specifically. We can go round and round on the chicken and the egg.

JC manned up and has made no excuses. If he has a big year he gets paid, if he has a bad year he gets the boot. He's not complaining. I for one hope the man gets paid. Say what you want about him but he's a pro and good dude.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"When Brees was age 25 he went 11-4 had a 65% pass percentage and 27 td's to 7 INTS and went to the Pro Bowl. (He had 41 games under his belt by this time. JC has had 36)

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Posted by: Gweez

Don't use Brees then. Use Trent Green, Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, or Jeff Garcia. Two of them won Super Bowls. They appeared in 5 Super Bowls combined. All 5 of them went to multiple pro-bowls. Not one of them did it before the age of 29.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 10:40 AM

Amen, Moe.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Amen squared, Moe.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 29, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

So I am looking at JC's situational stats through last year. http://www.nfl.com/players/jasoncampbell/situationalstats?id=CAM375235
There are only a handful of situations where JC's QB rating is under 80

Heres the list (rating in parenthesis)

Attempts 31+ (73.6)
Opp 49-20 - by Yard Line (64.2)
Last Two Minutes of Half (76.8)
Margin 15+ (57.5)
Ahead by 1-8 Points (78.1)
Ahead by 9-16 Points (39.6) only 4 attempts in that situation.
Behind by 1-8 Points (78.9)
1st Quarter (72.2)

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Leave Danny alone.. He has proven his business accumen through the success of Six Flags. A good example of what he can do when he doesnt have an established die hard fan base living off Super Bowl memories from 20 years ago..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 10:40 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"By the time he was JC's age now he'd taken his team to an NFL championship and been voted first team All-Pro.Posted by: Gweez"

What NFL championship?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think we need to compare JC to Slinging Sammy Baugh Its only fair!!

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys really believe that Dan Snyder is the only owner who talks to the QB? I have no doubt that all owners talk to the faces of their franchise and tell them when they are not getting it done. If I am paying or have paid you millions in salary and business, you better believe I will personally put my wingtip in your and your coach's SJK.

This is not comparable to the workaday world that many of us live in. Chances are many of the owners/CEOs/directors of the businesses we all work for know their employees' names.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I dont think he meant "won and NFL championship" just took them to the playoffs.
JC has never taken the Redskins to the Playoffs.. It was Brunnell and Collins while JC was on the bench.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What NFL championship?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:17 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Meant bonuses not business

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

...On the other hand, Sporting News has us going 4-12...

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 29, 2009 9:23 AM |

Sporting News is a bunch of idiots..

Posted by: 4-12 | July 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Joe Bugel said, "I'm going to work the living crap out of him..."

I guess big Mike will lose some more weight...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 29, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

" dont think he meant "won and NFL championship" just took them to the playoffs"

So did Jay Schroeder, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 11:21 AM

No. But who wants their owner to act like Jerry Jones and Al Davis?

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"So I am looking at JC's situational stats through last year...There are only a handful of situations where JC's QB rating is under 80"Posted by: alex3533

Yep, he's a pretty good country QB. Maybe not Jay Cutler, but there are downsides to a Cutler as well (as Chicago is about to find out).

I think if Snyder dumps Campbell it will have more to do with Snyder's need to do something (anything) in his frustration, than with any real assessment of Campbell's skills. QBs are like baseball managers -- it's win or else. And if they don't win, they get dumped. Maybe sooner, maybe later, maybe they get to resign (like Parcells in Dallas), but leave they do.

Because the owner can't fire himself, can he? Oh wait, he wouldn't want to.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I believe it was Schroeder and Doug Williams combined that year.. No matter, it was behind the Hogs.. Any QB with 4 seconds to throw, should take you to the playoffs.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So did Jay Schroeder, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:27 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It would be nice if JC had at least one Schroeder-like season. Maybe we could get something for him then.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I forgot, Parcells is a coach, not a QB. Same goes for coaches.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I always Heyer would be most valuable as a versatile tackle who could play both the left and right sides. Not many tackles in the league can do that. Heyer might because he's a good pass blocker but is big and strong enough to road-grade on the other side.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I always Heyer!

I accidentally a coke bottle & 93 mb, too!!

what should I do…is this dangerous ?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm a homer for this Williams cat.
Honestly, what's not to like, particularly, if he can bring it all out on the field.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope Williams pans out as the starter at RT. I think Heyer is best used as the backup to both tackle spots. If Williams can play to the level of his draft status, the Skins might actually be pretty good on the O-line (barring injury).

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"The difference between 220 lbs of lean muscle and 270 lbs of lean muscle is, pun intended, massive. It's the difference between someone like Terrell Owens and someone like Julius Peppers. Seems like you'd like to be a little more precise if you're attempting to project a good weight for an offensive lineman. "Posted by: psps23"

So Mike Williams' bones, organs, and muscles alone could weigh as much as a defensive end.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo sports is reporting that Vick was in Washington with Snyder last night and Snyder wants Vick in DC.... rumors are that Vick will have burgandy and gold by tomorrow!!!! NO GOOD

Posted by: drkeller1 | July 29, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I really enjoyed reading that OL article...wow, just wow, (in a good way).

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drkeller1 | July 29, 2009 11:53 AM

Do you have a link?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | July 29, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So did Jay Schroeder, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:27 AM |

Hey, Samsonite. Ever the annoying a-hole, right?

Posted by: EncinoMan | July 29, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

One of which was a Tweet from Chris Cooley's(notes) brother that asked why Vick was seen near Redskins Park last night.

This from the Yahoo story. Is it to be believed?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Check out the Sports Bog on this website. That's where Yahoo got some of its info.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"...I'm a homer for this Williams cat..."

Not to be a pollyanna, but I hope this is works out for the team--and Williams as a person.

And if it does, it really makes you wonder how many guys get tossed onto the trash heap of "NFL bust" way too early: I mean, maybe what Mike Williams had to do was grown up in the inside so it matched his mammoth outside.

Mike Williams, NFL Comeback Player of the Year?

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

So, Favre's officially retired again...

'bout time someone started some "Favre to the Redskins" rumors.

Oops, I think I just did..

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully last year was an aberration in Buges career...
Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Hard to fault the OL coach for injuries to four out of five starters, a lack of quality depth, and the HC failing to activate enough reserve OL on game day.

The Skins OL depth is better this year. Although there are still question marks at starting RG and backup C/G. Heyer is an adequate backup T and Bridges can be either a starting or backup G. Either Thomas or Bridges will be the starting RG. I hope E. Williams performs well in camp and wins the backup C/G position.

Rabach is a very good center, but it's hard to succeed when the guards and tackles on either side of you are injured... [FYI -- even the best centers get pushed back once in a while by 350lb CLE NT Shaun Rogers]

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

WHAT yahoo story? All I'm seeing is stuff on Minnehaha & KlanVille...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

That yahoo sports story is a day old........

No News is No News...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 29, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams, NFL Comeback Player of the Year?
Maybe.
Hopefully.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Just a reminder kids, John Corcoran started the Mike Williams Fan Club this week on NFLDraftDog.com

Link to Mike Williams column at:

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't he just talking about his lean body mass -- the weight of just the bones, organs, and muscles? And that's no better than an estimate anyway. Terrell Owens and Julius Peppers would have lean body mass way below 220 and 270 lbs.

Posted by: Samson151"

...or that of a WR, which is what I was saying.

Terrel Owens is essentially all lean body mass. I wouldn't be surprised if he was under 5% body fat. Similarly with Peppers (though his is probably higher than 5%, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was under 10%). Of TO's 225 lbs, his lean body mass is probably close to 210-215. Of Peppers' 285 lbs, his may be somewhere around 260. And thus, Williams' predicted range of 'between 220 and 270 lbs' is a massive difference from low to high.

If Mike Williams weighs 345 and his lean body mass is at 270 lbs, that leaves 75 lbs of fat (minus negligible differences). If he's 220 lbs of lean body mass, that leaves 125 lbs of fat (give or take a few). That's roughly an extra 50 lbs, or 14% on his body fat. That's a massive difference.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't know about the rookis this year. Have you seen the traanscript at this recent orientation session?

Rookies were trying to put on Redskin jocks for the first time, with help of an unnamed coach.

COACH: You know how to put these things on?

Rookie 1: Well, around the butt and up over the groin area.

Rookie 2: I know WHERE they go, Coach. I just want to know if I need pins or fasteners.

COACH: Well, no, they got them tape-ettes already on there. It's self-contained and fairly explanatory.

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

yeh - read that yestidday.

MinneHaHa has to be the frontrunner now w/ Fahrchrvrregh bowin' out... nest pas?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm also worried Joe Bugal is getting old. I got hold of this ranscript, smuggled out of a recent Redskins OTA warmup session w/Joe, Zorn and the Redskin Olinemen.

Bugel: All right, ya hayseeds. Loosen up. Everybody freeze.
Everybody down on the ground.

Rabach: Well, which is it, Coach? You want we should freeze or get down on the ground? Mean to say, if'n we freeze, we can't rightly drop. And if'n we drop, we’re a-gonna be in motion. You see...

Bugel: Shut up!

Rabach: Okay then.

Bugel: Everybody down on the ground!

Zorn (trying to help): Y'all can just forget that part about freezin' now.

Bugel: Better still to get down there.

Zorn: Yeah, y'all hear that, don't ya?

[Everybody lies down. Bugel looks straight ahead]

Gale: Sh!t! Where'd all the linemen go?

Linemen: We're down here, Coach.

Zorn: They're on the ground as you commanded, Joe.

# # #

Thanks, Coen Bros....

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Terrel Owens is essentially all lean body mass. I wouldn't be surprised if he was under 5% body fat."

Uh-huh. And all 5% is located between his ears.

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I must have missed something. What happened to Jason LaCanfora?

Posted by: dcdash | July 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

If Williams does actually become that miracle that they say you wait for ... then, putting him in as a starter at left or right tackle could change the dynamic significantly.

Now you have two potential interchangeable pro-bowl tackles. You have a reasonably young guard. A pretty sturdy center. Just a weak spot at the one guard position that definitely could be addressed by one or more of the of the players in camp. But you still need a backup center from somewhere?

With Campbell upgrading his game, 1 addt'l wide out showing ...

Playoffs now seem within the realm of possibilities.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Uh-huh. And all 5% is located between his ears.

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 12:25 PM

Good one, Cork.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Last in the power rankings.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drkeller1 | July 29, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I want the skins to sign Vick just to spite PETA. I hate PETA.

Posted by: ecale25 | July 29, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I cannot imagine how hard it must've been for him to put down the Twinkies and Chipotle. I can barely lose 5 lbs. Well done (littler) Big Man. I am pulling for Heyer to win the job since he's 4-5 years younger and would be a better long term solution (plus he's a Terp), but if Williams can at least provide depth, awesome.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 29, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Rick Maese's picture up on this blog next to J. Reid's? Or like the Terrapin Insider, why is there any picture of a reporter up at all--if there are multiple reporters reporting on the team?

I'm going to try to be as fair as possible to Reid. But seeing him on Comcast this week was really an eye opener. The guy was a nervous wreck on tv when he first started covering the Skins 2 years ago. Now he's got the droopy eyes smug look that south park followers know all to well. That "I'm better than you" look:

Posted by: Barno1 | July 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think it's great he has lost a lot of weight. I hope they monitor him closely at training camp so he doesn't drop dead!
Otherwise its pretty impressive!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs never developed Campbell. Despite taking him #1 in the draft, ALL the attention in 2005 and 2006 was focused on the 36 year old Mark Brunell and giving him 95% of the snaps. It was as if Campbell wasn't a factor for the team.

Strange as few teams in the NFL draft a quarterback #1 and then ignore him for 2 years.

When Campbell finally did get on the field he was absolutely the raw, unsophisticated product that could be expected from his lack of work and preparation.

Posted by: leopard09 | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Leopard09, did you just become a fan of the Redskins in 2008? Campbell started half of 2006 under Gibbs in his SECOND season, and started all of 2007 under Gibbs until he got hurt in week 14.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 29, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, there was no way Gibbs could have started Campbell his rookie year, considering Mark Brunnell led us to the 2nd round of the playoffs that season and Patrick Ramsey was still considered an NFL starter quality QB who was coming off a strong finish to 2004.

Some fans either have zero perspective or zero memory.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 29, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | July 29, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Campbell has the charisma of a door knob. The day this door knob leads this team to Super Bowl, I'll eat crow. Until then - calm cool and collected isn't inspiring when you ain't winning.

Posted by: ScottChallenger | July 29, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Reductil contains sibutramine as an active ingredient, which is an appetite suppressant. It helps to increase levels
of neurotransmitters, serotonin and noradrenaline, that act in hypothalamus part of the brain.
Reductil Sibutramine can lead to suppression of appetite.
People lose weight because of this action that targets appetite and they eat less food.

Posted by: Katie448 | July 31, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse