Brennan, Daniel Lead Team to TDs in Loss

The story of the fourth quarter was the battle between Colt Brennan, who was able to recreate some of the old cult of Colt magic, and Chase Daniel, making the case for Chase, for the No. 3 quarterback spot. Brennan led the Redskins down the field for their first touchdown, a 3-yard run by Dominique Dorsey that capped a 10-play, 87-yard drive and cut the Jaguars' lead to 24-10 with 4:49 left.

Brennan finished with 10 completions in 14 attempts for 83 yards; however, he limped off the field because of what the team called a hamstring injury (trainers actually appeared to be looking at his knee) with just over four minutes left in the game and Daniel, decidedly less impressive with 3 of 9 completions for 19 yards, replaced him.

He showed a little something when, with 1:22 left, he hit Keith Eloi (yes, the pickup truck jumper) with a 25-yard pass to the Jacksonville 1-yard line. Three plays later, he hit Todd Yoder with what appeared to be a 4-yard TD pass. However, the TD call was overturned on replay. On fourth and goal from the 4 with 53 seconds left, Daniel hit Marko Mitchell with the touchdown pass that brought the final to 24-17. Daniel's final stats? He completed 8 of 16 passes for 85 yards.

Hmmmm...as for the TD pass to Yoder, Jim Zorn said, "I called an interesting play that wasn't necessarilyin the game plan."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 3, 2009; 10:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham Spices Up Kicking Competition
Next: Who's No. 3?

Comments

foist

Posted by: SonofNero | September 3, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

foist

Posted by: SonofNero | September 3, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

colt IR? chase #3

Posted by: RomoLongballs |
or3rd?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 3, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

marko's the man

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 3, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Colt aint hurt

Posted by: cocodc1 | September 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Freak,

I haven't but I'll go look now..... actually, "F" it,.... preseason is over.. The NFL Ticket kicks in next week.... $400 for a football season, you think the NFL Ticket would cover that....

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | September 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

channelsurfing.net let me down big tonight - trying to watch from Canada. So - looking forward to some overall impressions on winners and losers from you all who saw it. Looked like Marko totally solidified his claim, and Alridge made a case too. How about QB play? The stats look pretty even...

Posted by: SonofNero | September 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Freak,

Holy Crap!!!!!!! The side view ROCKS!!!!! Why didn't you tell me that earlier?, ... dang it....

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | September 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I definitely would go with Colt. He did more with the limited time he was in than Chase. Although Chase looked good, I see Campbell not playing up to either of our young studs. I saw CUT JC, start TC and wait until Colt is ready to step in and play!

Redskins fan ih Hawaii!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

i dont care about the 3rd qb but mitchell will and should make the squad

Posted by: wattsicon | September 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean it let you down? That was the most exciting one-man FIFA 2009 competition by some guy I don't know, watching from a bad cam with inadequate keystoning, I ever saw.

Posted by: farstriker | September 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the new "no wedge" rule... Looked to me that the Jags had 4 or 5 guys on a wedge that time...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 3, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse
As I understand new rule, no more than 2 players can hold hands as they run upfield. Last year 4 players would be linked to form a wedge.

As far as kicker goes, my choice is Suisham. I thought both extra points were marginal for Raynor, first on just inside righ upright, then just inside left upright.

re-Posted by: frediefritz | September 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | September 3, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I definitely would go with Colt. He did more with the limited time he was in than Chase. Although Chase looked good, I see Campbell not playing up to either of our young studs. I say CUT JC, start TC and wait until Colt is ready to step in and play! AND KEEP MARKO as #2 WR

Redskins fan ih Hawaii!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

looks like the way we played the final cuts should not be that hard

Posted by: wattsicon | September 3, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow that was ugly....... AA really hurt himself with that fumble. Marcus played with second unit because he was promoted to 3rd and he did not hurt himself but he did not really help himself neither but the line was bad in both first and second quarter. Rock proved to be a Rock which will make things interesting over the next 48 hours for the RB unit..... My prediction...All four will make the team and Rock will be a specialist

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 3, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The defense sucked! We could not stop many drives. That looked awful

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Love watching football on the "Smurf Turf".... amazed that Boise can find any of their teammates.... It looks like 11 Oregon Ducks and a few refs on the field.

Clegg

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | September 3, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Blache Vs Trevor II...LMAO

Posted by: cocodc1 | September 3, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Let the season begin.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

OKAY...Who gets Cut??????

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fan ih Hawaii!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

You must have been watching a different game than I was watching.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 3, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Nope...I saw the same game you did....

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I say cut JC.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I say cut JC.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

You're retarted.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 3, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Colt didn't fumble....

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

SonOfNero, isn't Sunday Ticket available from most Canadian cable providers? Are you without a way to see games all the time, or just in preseason?

If you need a way to watch online during the season, check out streamtvnow.tv -- I used them last year with good success. It's not free, but it's also not expensive. A few bucks per month, and it gets cheaper the longer subscription you buy. It's definitely a step up from the free sites, which are much more of a crapshoot. They don't guarantee that you'll get every game, but most weeks last year they had every single game.

And some of the streams toward the end of last season were very high bitrate, 700 to 1000 kbps. Excellent quality for a video stream on a very low-cost site.

I might buy another subscription this year, just to have a way to watch a second game if I'm watching the TV in my office.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

"You're retarted."

Hey this is a great way around being insensitive using retarded, but still having a similar type word. Plus to be retarted, sounds odd. Thanks BMAC!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 3, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I gotta' believe DANIELS goes to the practice squad unless COLT can't go due to injury.

ALRIDGE and MASON get cut. CARTWRIGHT had to play for a job and succeeded. DORSEY no.

MARKO MITCHELL is DA" MAN!!!! ELOI, no despite his pretty catch near the end of the game. HACKETT, no.

AGNONE gets cut. YODER makes it, barely. DAVIS on the 53 man. God, I hope COOLEY doesn't get hurt.

MONTGOMERY played well despite THEISMANN's one sour note. BATISTE did O.K. as did RINEHART, but neither E. WILLIAMS or M. WILLIAMS looked good. BRIDGES a-a-a-n-n-n-h, better but not great. Everybody but MONTGOMERY looked outclassed by JAGS 1st team d.

Practice squad for HENSON and GLENN too. YOUNG gets cut. THOMAS makes the team.

ROB JACKSON played himself a game and might nose out RENALDO WYNN. BUZBEE gets cut. JARMON makes the 53 squad. CHRIS WILSON went from the bubble to a gamer. DIXON goes to the practice squad.

Nobody in the defensive secondary was consistantly good except REED DOUGHTRY. TRYON played like a rookie with potential something we didn't see at all last year. 2008 he was just a rookie. BARNES makes the team because he's a third round choice. HOLMES up and down as well. Probably doesn't nose out K. MOORE.

RAYNOR almost shanked BOTH X-points. He has the stronger leg on kick-offs but I question his accuracy on field goals. SUISHAM continues to provide weak kick-offs and of course last year's accuracy brought on this competition in the first place. Nothing was answered in my mind. Frankly. I want the JACKSONVILLE kicker. I thought him far superior to either of our contestants.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 3, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

The NFL isn't anti-gay, just pro-monogamy.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if you're going to use streamtvnow.tv, don't wait until game day to set up your account. It'll take you an hour or two to get yourself set up before first use, but they have good instructions.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Can Zorn be cut? What about Vinny and Danny boy?

Posted by: mike1ad | September 3, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz

It will be Suisham. They'll charge last year off to holder troubles.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Over the course of the preseason, Chase showed me much more than Colt did. This game, Chase played against a first string defense and despite not having an offensive line that could protect him, made some plays and showed DISCIPLINE. That's something Colt lacks. The fumble isn't really Chase's fault as he got blindsided and besides Colt throws too many INT's.

Posted by: Thundershock | September 3, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

"You're retarted."

Posted by: chrislarry | September 3, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

poor taste, no doubt. I work with a lot of disabilities as part of being a member of my profession. So does my wife, particularly with children.

But we're of a certain age (32). When we were kids, calling someone else "retarded" meant you were calling them the second worst kind of dipsh!t. I had a cousin with severe CP, and I never once thought of any correlation with this insult. Ignorance on my part, I own that.

CL, or whomever may have a child with any disability: take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, full tard (or any variation thereof, for all you young lawyer dipsh!ts) is off limits out of respect. IMVHO

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 3, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Practice squad for HENSON and GLENN too. YOUNG gets cut. THOMAS makes the team.--GLARENCE

Keep in mind Vinny kept ALL his draft choices last year. Henson had 8 tackles tonite, so he stays and plays teams.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

With NFLN not carrying game until Saturday, I tried to watch it on the internet link provided here.

At one point they went to the sideline babe and I heard a voice say "She's F%#king Hot!" A short while later there was a guy kicking a soccer ball. It was the equivalent of buying a pirated movie videoed off a screen in a movie theater.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

THE WORD IS "RETARDED"!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | September 3, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Streetsweeper.

Police call.

No stragglers.

I got LAST, now every1 move on to the next thread pronto.

Posted by: Vicc | September 3, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

The CORK:

Well yeah. I was undecided about HENSON going to th P-squad. I'll roll with that.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 3, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

glawrence,

Cork is on the new thread..you should be too.

LAST.

Posted by: Vicc | September 3, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

If Chase is cut, the Chiefs will pick him up. If Colt is cut, the Chiefs will not pick him up.

Posted by: tpatten | September 4, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Daniel haters, check the numbers; both of their preseason stats from NFL.com paint the picture:

Brennan: 23/43 (53.5%),249 yds, 1 TD, 3 int, ran 6 times for 13 yds, QB rating of 49.5.

Daniel: 14/24 (58.3%), 143 yds, 3 TD, 0 int, ran 4 times for 39 yds, QB rating of 115.1!

Posted by: steveb2005 | September 4, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Brennan has been sacked 7 times, Daniel has only been sacked 3.

Posted by: steveb2005 | September 4, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse