There Is No Meeting at Mortons

There have been some crazy rampant rumors about a private dinner between Dan Snyder and Bill Cowher taking place right now at the Morton's in Reston. Ain't true.

Bill is not in the area, according to a source close to him, and has not been contacted by the Redskins. Snyder limo is still here at Redskins Park. I'd be stunned if the Skins don't reach out to Cowher soon, but this internet rumor is not true. Cowher continues to tell those he talks to that he has no plans to return to coaching until 2009 and is enjoying time with his family and watching his daughter play basketball in Carolina.

We'll see if Snyder eventually convinces him otherwise.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 8, 2008; 6:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: My Early Reaction To The Presser
Next: Another Crazy Day At The Park (With Many More To Come)

Comments

What about Jessica Simpson as head coach? At least we'd always beat the cowboys.

Posted by: AlexBerger | January 8, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Great idea Alex!!!! Brilliant

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Is there a more disengenuous person in the press than this beat reporter? somebody please take the laptop out of the his hands. this is getting ridiculous!

Posted by: Barno1 | January 8, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Charley Casserly just said he knows Cowher well and that we can put that rumor to rest....Cowher WILL NOT be coaching next season.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Its going to be tough for Danny to blow this thing up. This team, more than almost any in sports memory, is tied together. Blow up one piece and it could all crumble. And that is a lot to gamble. Gregg Williams might not be the best coach available (though who knows), but the respect from the players is clearly there. And there is a bond among a lot of the players and coaches.

It is one thing to work for Joe Gibbs and his 3 Lombardi trophies. You are working for one of the greatest of all time. If I'm an assistant coach, that is job I covet and perhaps I don't take a bigger job elsewhere because of that. But without Joe, its time to get a promotion. I suspect that will be a challenge if Snyder stays in house, a huge issue if he goes elsewhere.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason, thanks for putting the bed this terrible rumor. The fact is they are scheduled for a lunch meeting tomorrow at the Bennigans in Dundalk. All you can eat wings and $1.50 domestic draft beers on Wednesdays, get there early.

Posted by: isnadd | January 8, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Totally on board with the Jessica Simpson thing.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I heard today from a source at the Onion that Jimmy Johnson is in the air right now on Redskin One and will be signing a $10M contract tonight.

Posted by: Burgundy | January 8, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Jason Garrett is available!

Posted by: jvwright | January 8, 2008 06:02 PM

I don't think interviewing minors is an effective way around the Rooney rule's minority mandate.

And can we really take another Jason up here?

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Question:

If Obama wins the election doesn't that kind of balance out the Rooney rule and we can just give the job to Williams?

OK, I'm kidding...seriously...I have a lot of black friends. Really. What?

Posted by: isnadd | January 8, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, for pete's sake.
I'm out. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 8, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

According to Forbes, the Redskins' "team value" is $1.5 billion (source).

Snyder will - has to - take his time naming a coach. This is a different Dan Snyder than the one who took control of the team almost a decade ago.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 8, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

So far, the rumor mill has the following...who are we missing?

Credible coaches with Super Bowl rings:

Assistants from Other Teams:
Russ Grimm
Jim Caldwell
Leslie Frazier
Mike Singletary

My guess:
Gregg Williams is the new HC of the 'Skins. Todd Bowles, a young, hungry assistant not quite ready to be a HC, is the token minority candidate interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Al Saunders is fired along with all of the offensive staff but Bill Lazor.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone advocating Cowher is not paying attention to the comments of the players, and in addition, has no concept of the requirement for attitudinal continuity in leadership roles. Nuff said.

Posted by: forces | January 8, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, as for Cowher not wanting to coach...

If a tiny, megalomaniacal fellow comes to my house with a dump truck loaded up with $50M and promises complete autonomy in my job, I'm probably going to take it ($10M/season, 5 years, coach's contracts are guaranteed).

I have never met The Jaw. I have never talked to The Jaw. I have never so much as seen The Jaw in person. But I'm fairly confident that The Jaw is not an idiot.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I just return from the gym. JLC you are my boy but you are totally off on this one. From the parts I saw there is no question in my mind that double G will be the next coach. If you listen to Coach Joe and the Dan there are really saying he will be without saying it. "We like what we have here". The Dan said 'I am very happy with who we have here and think we are going in the right direction." Do you really think he is going to say double G will be the coach with the Rooney rule? Come on bra!

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

" $50M and promises complete autonomy in my job, I'm probably going to take it ($10M/season, 5 years, coach's contracts are guaranteed)."

Hmm, so my choice is watching girls basketball or $50 million?

I can get this in writing, correct?

Posted by: SteveMG | January 8, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

And by your comment, that is obvious Diddy.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

BTW, want to expound on the "token minority candidate" comment...

Interviewing for an NFL head coaching job is probably unlike anything any of us are familiar with. There was an ESPN article about it a while back, actually. I actually think that it's insulting for a guy like, say, Mike Singletary to be called in to a token interview. Singletary is ready to be a head coach, as a result of both of his HOF playing credentials and his current experience as a position coach and coordinator.

However, for a guy like Todd Bowles, it's likely valuable experience that will prepare him for a time when he is actually ready to take that next step up.

For the record: I think Gregg Williams should rightfully get a chance.

But if it's Cowher, I don't see how any of us can complain about a guy with a 63% winning record, 12 out of 15 years with winning records, 10 out of 15 years with playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and 1 Super Bowl championship. Oh, and he's only 50 years old and 1 year out of coaching. Hello? Only in DC would fans get on a high horse about those credentials...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

What's obvious?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Cowher wouldn't just command $50M in salary. If he ends up coaching in one of the big 5 NFL cities (NYC, Dallas, DC, Chicago, or Boston), he could stand to make 50% more on endorsements and local TV deals alone. He would become a brand in and of himself, in a way that he never saw in Pittsburgh, particularly with the anti-marketing Rooneys as his boss.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The reason we are upset about Cowher is because of the players! After many, many years of a topsy turvy franchise, Gibbs returned and brought stability back to the organization. The players have simply been through enormous tragedy this year and to totally upset all Gibbs has accomplished by bringing in Cowher would be a travesty. They need stability. The players want Williams.

Personally, I would not mind Singletary if most of the staff would stay intact. Singletary is a motivator and someone the players would probably like.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

per the 3rd comment above;

I don't know Mr. LaCanfora personally, only through his writing here at the Post. But I feel I must defend him and praise his quality work this season on this blog. Throughout the season and especially during the Taylor tragedy and again today readers have been able to benefit from unparalleled access to the players, the team and its inner workings.

Posted by: gibbshogs | January 8, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this: Raleigh is a hard place to leave. I wouldn't blame my neighbor if he decides to stay put.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | January 8, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you gibbshogs, Jason has been the man this year keeping us informed. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: ceevans | January 8, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Pdiddy - good take on it.

Posted by: gibbshogs | January 8, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Another reason why it won't be Cowher is that Coach Joe will still be around and has the ear of the owner. I just don't see him going for that. If he wants control he is not going to want Coach Joe around. On the other double G would not have a problem with it and I am sure would use it to his advantage knowning how the players feel about Coach Joe

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I think "continuity" is a sham.

No matter what, probably 20% of the roster turns over next year. Young guys win jobs, old guys lose jobs, some of the vets won't be brought back, free agents will displace role players who will sign elsewhere as a result, etc. It's the way it is in the NFL.

Second, even with Gregg Williams in charge, do you really, really, really think he's going to keep that offensive staff intact? Breaux, Simmons, and Bugel will probably walk out the door with St. Joe. All those guys have paid their dues and may think it's time to go with their vaunted leader. Who knows about Byner, Lazor, and Khayat? The big question mark is Saunders. Do you think Gregg Williams will keep Saunders around?

Granted, the defensive staff stays intact. And given that the defense has held the water for this team for so long, I think that's a good thing and that's why I'm in the Gregg Williams camp.

But make no mistake: continuity is a mirage, no matter which way you slice it.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we're not thinking creatively enough. Simply move Redskins Park and FedEx field to Charlotte ....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I really hope they hire Gregg Williams, just to keep everything together. I think change will not be good for this team...Whether its cowherd or not, I think just the lost of Gibbs might do the Redskins some good. He was to old school and maybe what happen in dallas this year with change may happen here next year with change. Letting your players make plays. I mean only time will tell, but I really want them to choose inhouse and hopefully keep it the same. Cause if they bring in a new coach, that means new everything.

Posted by: lil_rj1 | January 8, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I think "continuity" is a sham.

Not continuity in coaching staff, core players and system.

Sure, rosters have a good 15-25% changeover each year. But the nucleus or core players (if the team is reasonably successful) stay from year-to-year.

And system and staff need to be more uniform from season-to-season.

Nothing fraudulent about that, it seems to me.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 8, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy, I so agree with the nature of your comment. If you can work for a legend like Joe Gibbs, its different. Al Saunders can coach in DC for Joe, but can he coach for Gregg Williams?? Joe Bugel doesn't need any of this. But for Joe Gibbs, he'll do anything. For Gregg Williams? Don't know.

But will any of these guys stick around for Russ Grimm or Bill Cowher? Not much chance of that.

All the past month has been about how Joe held this team together. Now we'll see how together it really is.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

gibbshogs, personally I don't think the Post reporters have that much "indepth" access to the players and coaches. The Skins organization is not very high on the Post.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I think any coach worth his salt would keep the core players intact. Sure, he may not have loyalty to the oft-injured vets, but there's no way he's going to ditch Santana, Cooley, CP, JC, Samuels, that young defensive line, L2, Rocky, etc.

The players on the bubble with a new coach are the same players that were already on the bubble with St. Joe, with their pending question marks:

- Shawn Springs
- Jon Jansen
- Randy Thomas
- Cornelius Griffin
- Etc.

30-something guys with injury problems and/or high salaries.

Don't assume that just because Gregg Williams is an "in-house" hire that he's going to be a redux of St. Joe. He's going to be Gregg Williams, which, to me, is no different than if he were Bill Cowher or Mike Singletary.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Good coach overall; great in 1.0; less than stellar in 2.0; great four-game run and great leadership in the wake of Sean's death. But he made the right decision. Bad game calling against Seattle.

Posted by: Soups1 | January 8, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

a few hours into it, my sense says it should be Gregg Williams that gets the job. My reasoning is this. If this team is really together and Williams is better suited for the job than he was in his first tenure, then it will be a good hire. Basically, taking a team pointed in the right direction and trying to keep it there. A team that is emotional united and that seems to have a lot of respect for Williams.

Hire anyone else and you blow this team up right away. Why take that risk right now?

If Williams does not pan out, the team will struggle and it will be OK to blow things up. But right now, there is now reason to blow anything up.

My biggest reservation is history. Last time Gibbs left, it was his defensive coordinator, a guy everyone thought would be perfect. Richie Petitbon had one disaster season and was fired. With a lot of player turnover, any Gibbs imprint on the Redskins was essentially unrecognizable less than 2 years after his retirement.

I have hard time rationally thinking that Gregg Williams' situation should be influenced by what happened in 1992. But I can't help it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Hire Gregg Williams now. If he doesn't work out, fire him next year and get Cowher when he's ready. Cowher is "Mr." Snyder's insurance policy, and the leverage he uses to exert control over Williams.

Man, I would not want to work for "Mr." Snyder...

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | January 8, 2008 06:37 PM

Brilliant - I love the image of of the Danny and the Jaw slamming Nasty Bo's with the out of work dock workers.

Posted by: CBT | January 8, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Danny and The Jaw sounds like a 50s cover band or an evening drive time DJ duo.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

But make no mistake: continuity is a mirage, no matter which way you slice it.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 07:12 PM

Completely disagree. One thing many players have been quoted as saying is how close they've become to their teammates this year. What if the Skins decide to bring in an outside coach, like a Spurrier, who decides to completely change the chemistry of the team?

There will be changes no matter what--we agree on that. But tinkering (hiring within), or a sea change (hiring someone who will want to bring in their own staff and players)?

I think Jason Campbell, in particular, and the team in general, will not benefit from YET ANOTHER sea change.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

while PDiddy and I don't see eye to eye on everything Redskins related, I can now say he's a good guy and a cool dude after meeting him in Seattle. Not to mention he bought us all several rounds of shots, which was a great way to kick off the festivities the night before the game...

I do hope that Gregg Williams is our next head coach, and don't think Cowher is even on Snyder's list...

Posted by: Barno1 | January 8, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't they sing "At the Hop?"

Posted by: CBT | January 8, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Alan4,

You make a great point on the previous blog.

I can totally see Snyder go with Grilliams in '08, not just because everyone (including his new personal punt protector advisor) is telling him they are close to the Super Bowl and that it will be the only way to continue the momentum from 07, but also because Cowher won't be on the market until next season.

In my crystal ball, Grilliams will be named HC; however, if he doesn't make the playoffs, or maybe even the Super Bowl, I see 10 million big ones per season in Cowher's pocket and Napolean introducing him as the HC of the Skins in Jan 09.

When that occurs, I will demand that Janso (hopefully he'll still be at the WP) ask Napolean during that press conference with Cowher what happened to all of that patience he learned from Joe Gibbs.

It is my guess, that after Janso asks my question, Napolean will walk out of that press conference much like he did today during his interview on the John Riggins show.

Hey Napolean, did you not think you'd have to talk or answer questions or anything like that as the owner of one of the most popular sports franchises in the world?

-Ricky Bobby

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm with zcezcest1, for some reason I think the events after Gibbs I will affect the decision making process with respect to Williams.

I also think they have to find out how much 'continuity' they retain even if the promote Williams. Does buges stay? Does Saunders stay? Breaux? If they are gone regardless, then why not blow everything up?

Posted by: zyvo23 | January 8, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

If Williams is HC, we know there will be continuity on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully Saunders stays as well...

Posted by: CBT | January 8, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

What happened on the Riggo show?

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 07:31 PM

I think firing Pettibon after one season was a rookie mistake by a rookie owner, and Snyder then overcompensated by sticking with Norv Turner beyond the time when it was clear Norv was not going to be a winner.

Williams already has head coach experience to draw from and a unique relationship with the players at this point. If Snyder hires anyone else (except possibly Al Saunders thought I'm not sure he can justify that), I think he will lose the respect of many players.

It would be a blow to the confidence of Jason Campbell, who's future would likely be cast into doubt. Then it's back onto the coaching and quarterbacking carousel of the previous 12 years. I personally believe any new coach would start and create at an inherent disadvantage, because change is not what the players are looking for...

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Barno :-)

I was a bit fragile Saturday morning, but it's all good.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

to comment on what zcezcest1 said above, while last time we had bad results after hiring a Gibbs Defensive Coordinator - Petitbon, there have also been many Defensive Coordinators who have not panned out at their first jobs (ala double G in Buffalo) and then gone on to 3 super bowls and probably a 4th started off by an undefeated regular season (Bellicheck)!!! HTTR - GO SKINS

Posted by: sheriffgonnagetcha | January 8, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I thought that Pettibon and Turner were JKC hires.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 8, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Petitbon and Turner were both hired by Mr. Cooke.

Petitbon was a mistake, and is a very good analogy to use for those in the anti-Williams camp. Loyalty and continuity are not words seen in the NFL very often.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

G.W will be the nextcoach...........

Posted by: kbiddix | January 8, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected.... mistake made by a going-senile owner rather than rookie mistake.

Still, I don't see how you conclude a guy's a mistake after 1 season. Gibbs started out 0-5, but fortunately he got a chance to build (you guessed it!) continuity

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Petitbon was never Cooke's choice, but Gibbs resigned so late that there really wasn't any other choice he could make. When things went south, Cooke did what he probably wanted to do anyway.

As Gibbs said today, the new coach has to be someone the owner feels that he wants to stand with in the tough times.

Posted by: Burgundy | January 8, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I caught the tail end of the Riggo show interview. Little Dan didn't "walk out." He answered a few questions, nothing earth shattering, and then said he had to go. Riggo asked him if he'd take one more question and Little Dan said he couldn't, he had to go. The notion that Riggo was grilling him and he stormed off in frustration is ridiculous. Little Dan does own the station after all.

Posted by: mack1 | January 8, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,

Riggo was asking him questions and as soon as the topic turned to the next coach, Napolean goes "ah, gotta go". Riggo was like "uh, okay, how about 1 more question?" Napolean said nah, gotta go.

I've never seen such a successful business man so afraid to talk to the media. Not only that, he's terrible at it.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Lisa_R - just commenting on what I've experienced here in Mr. LaCanfora's blog throughout this season.

Posted by: gibbshogs | January 8, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly, Petitbon got fired for not willing to part with his offensive coaching staff (Rod Dowhower and Co.)

Had he been willing to fire them, he would have stayed another season.

It wouldn't have mattered. The 1993/1994 Redskins were particularly not well positioned to handle the salary cap era. A lot of the overpaid depth veterans couldn't fit under the cap, were let go, and the results were pretty obvious. Norv chose a weak-armed QB to build the team around and was cursed with the fatal flaw of, you know, being a freakin' Dallas Cowboy.

If there's one thing I can pray for tonight it's NO DALLAS COWBOYS COACHES.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Burgundy,

Tienes razon. What you say about Cooke and Pettibon makes sense.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

RickyBobby, Snyder stopped talking to the media because all they did was bash him. Can't blame him for that. He also pretty much stepped out of the limelight altogether.

I don't think we have to worry about seeing him on God knows how many commercials like Jerry Jones.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

lisa, i third your sentiment about what you said on the previous thread. i'll go a step further.

i will buy 5 guys for jason la canfora if the skins end up getting cowher as their coach. NO friggin way!! it's total guesswork by jason. and jason, we won't have to wait long to prove who's right or wrong up here.

F cowher!

here's lisa's comments:

Why should or would they endorse anyone right now? Look at other franchises who have lost coaches...did they immediately endorse a coach? No...they went through the process.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 06:02 PM

Right on, Lisa! Snyder apparently just found out about this less than 24 hours ago... I'm sure he hasn't had time to negotiate a contract for the position yet.
Jwolff03 said it best in his earlier post at 04:15 PM:

If he comes right out and says who they want, kind of takes away any kind of negotating leverage and certainly would make the organization appear to have egg on its face if somehow its first choice didnt work out.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

How much does it even matter what the players want? The retirement was a surprise; by the time spring rolls around they'll have accepted that whoever was hired, was hired.

Most of the team doesn't have the option of quitting and going to find another NFL team to sign with. Their options are stay and play, or retire: Butch up and deal, in other words.

Posted by: suz | January 8, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suz | January 8, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Why the animus at Snyder for not wanting to discuss who the next head coach might be? The press conference was just that -- a press conference. It wasn't a shareholders' meeting. We don't have any kind of right to know his plans for the team. Sure we all WANT to know what he's thinking, but guess what: We'll soon find out. In the mean time, just exercise a modicum of patience.

Besides, for my money, if you read between the lines of what was said today, Snyder and Gibbs both indicated that the next coach will be Gregg Williams.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"Mr." Snyder has the (admirable) policy of not talking to the media during the season. I can certainly respect that.

I can't respect how he cowers from the media at other times and his petty disagreements with the WashPo because of negative articles.

He is absolutely fantastic with the players, and that has never been in doubt. But he gouges the fans, pays the support staff at Redskins Park like crap, and prior to St. Joe, he treated the coaching staffs under him like they were dirt as well.

I have had the good fortune of meeting many "powerful" people in life, and have come away seeing something of virtue in many of them. "Mr." Snyder is not one of them.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 06:58 PM

Amen Amen Amen !! Lord, please let us relax for a few minutes !

Posted by: cej75024 | January 8, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby,
I hope Snyder has learned some things along the way about personnel management. Working with Gibbs has to be a plus for him, and give him credit--he was able to bring Gibbs out of retirement! The guy made a ton of money, so he's not likely a dummy. And Gibbs has a lot of praise for him. We'll see...

-Alan

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

gregg's gonna want atleast a 4 to 5 year deal and at $6-$7 mil each.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 07:55 PM

I mentioned in an earlier post...that 93 team was FAR less talented than this one....QB's Gannon, Conklin...RB's Reggie freakin Brooks !!

This team would be TOTALLY different than the one that Richie took over.

Posted by: cej75024 | January 8, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

OK, comment from a long-time lurker, first-time poster...after watching the press conference today, the only time I noticed Dan Snyder looking anything less than devoid of emotion (which seems to be his usual mask) was when he joked that Bill Cowher is "good at raquetball". He almost swooned when he said it, or perhaps giggled...neither are emotions I've ever seen him display before, except back when he hired Joe Gibbs in the first place.

I fear the day may not be too far off when Cowher steps to the microphone at Redskins Park in a brand-spankin-new Redskins hat.

BTW, classy move by Gibbs to wear the 21 pin on his lapel today. He's just a class act to the end. He will be missed.

Posted by: christagrim | January 8, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I heard the Cowher/Snyder meeting will be at Petitbon's BBQ joint in Oakton.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 8, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Vegas is laying odds on Cowher. Me personally, I'm thinking that Gregg Williams is the choice. If he's not, then I think the Special Advisor position must be a pro-bono gig.

Posted by: dchandl3 | January 8, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Suz, under most circumstances, I agree -- its not about what the players want. But this is not ordinary. This team went thru far more than most teams will and it has a unique chemistry -- significantly different from any other team in the league.

Several of the coaches are older (Bugel and Saunders to name a couple) and can go a lot places. Or just leave. Gibbs is a unique coach with a unique style and place in history.

And its not like this team was unsuccessful. Usually coaches get fired after bad seasons. The Skins made the playoffs even with one of the toughest schedules in the entire NFL. And they played all 4 NFC division champs on the road and lost close games each time. This is not a bad team that needs a massive makeover.

Listen to the players in MIami or Atlanta -- no. Listen to them here in DC? Yes ....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

How much does it even matter what the players want?...
Posted by: suz | January 8, 2008 08:09 PM

That's exactly the attitude of a losing coach/owner. In the Skins heyday, remember how much the players praised both JKC and Gibbs?

We've saw enough of what happens when coaches are detached and players don't care about the team after Gibbs retired the first time.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 8, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

When Joe leaves, he is gone. He casts a very long shadow. This advisor thing isn't real.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

He was, simply, too old to handle his players, to understand their perspectives, to push their buttons in this era of salary-cap football (remember, Gibbs didn't have to worry about the salary cap during his first stint). And the wear and tear of a season is hard on any coach, much less one who qualifies for senior citizen discounts at your neighborhood cafeteria.

This is from Len Pasquarelli on ESPN.com...nice guy, huh??

Posted by: cej75024 | January 8, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice interview with Coach Gibbs up on Redskins.com. About 7.5 minutes long.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm all in favor of Snyder going through the process, even if he already knows who he wants. It allows him to meet four or five of the best and brightest football minds and to get their advice on how to rebuild the 'Skins. He can ask them about players. He can network and build valuable relationships. Then, he can hire Gregg Williams.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Read the Pasquarelli piece and its BS. Gibbs was not a great coach, but he was a terrific leader.

Gibbs 2 is tricky to analyze. Because there was a lot to change and Gibbs only got about 60-70% right. Two playoff trips in 4 years with an organization that needed an extreme makeover is commendable work. But Gibbs decade away from football clearly resulted in some bad choices and awkward adjustments.

In the bigger picture, Gibbs 2 was a good thing. If Danny Snyder learns how to be a better owner, then its a great thing. Because Danny is going to be around a very long time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Len should be careful w/ the senior citizen comments he is right up there himself or at least he looks it.
Wasn't that him I saw at Denny's having the early bird special.

Posted by: jotay13 | January 8, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 08:29 PM

Yes and no. With the relationship he's built with Snyder, Dan can call him anytime and ask for advice and support. They seem to genuinely like each other.

And, without an office in the building, his shadow is shorter. But, so is his influence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, how do YOU know Snyder pays his support staff at Redskins Park like crap?

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

"I heard the Cowher/Snyder meeting will be at Petitbon's BBQ joint in Oakton."

Now that would be a nifty trick since it has been gone for a few years now. It is now a Famous Daves. :)

Posted by: jotay13 | January 8, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

snyder and cowher are meeting right now in my basement

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Dan..plese interview the following candidates...

1) Bum Phillips (He's still alive)
2) Marv Levy
3) Buddy Ryan

I know Phillips and Levy can take em' all the way!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 8, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Good one, dealer. What are you serving them? Papa Johns? Johnny Rockets takeout? Frozen Pettybone BBQ?

Are they getting along okay?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

they made vinny go out and get 'em paapa johns...

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

lisa, diddy's working as a barista at starbucks. he's trying to follow michael gill's footsteps. all that drinking didn't make him happy so he's trying it as a barista at a starbucks at skins park.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Talent, its never easy to follow a legend. Who played SS after Cal Ripken or 3rd base after Brooks Robinson? Who coached after Lombardi in GB? Or after Gibbs 1 in DC? Or after Landry in Dallas?

The only time I can think of a good transition with a long shadow guy is Seifert taking over for Walsh in SF.

When I suggested Joe leaves a long shadow, it can easily reach from Charlotte to DC. The last time Joe left, the shadow lasted 12 years ... until he returned.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

but more importantly hillary is pulling away in NH. argh!

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest,

Thanks. I see your point.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

My take on who will be the next coach comes down to one of two choices.

1. If offensive staff decides to stay than hire Greg Williams. Continuity etc...

2. If offensive staff decides to split than the Danny needs to go after Cowher. Lets face it, you have lost continuity already might as well go for the best available coach.

Posted by: Papken28 | January 8, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jotay13 | January 8, 2008 08:44 PM
-------------------------------------------
Yeah I know, but I grew up in Vienna, and I was only 11 during Petitbon's one season, so the BBQ is really the thing I remember most about him. All this Petitbon talk had me thinkin BBQ.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 8, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, Jimmy Johnson followed Landry, but I, too see your point. Even though I had been a Cowboys fan for over 10 years at that point, I jumped for joy when Landry was let go. He left behind an awful, awful team. Joe Gibbs didn't do that, so there's no reason your next coach shouldn't be a success.

Diddy, I think you only omitted the college contigent in your list...

Pete Carroll
Frank Beamer
Charlie Wies
Urban Meyer
Les Miles
"Don't Be a" Dick Tomey
"I'm Short But" Al Groh
"I'd Love to" Turner Gill

stop me

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Amen to this P Diddy comment:

If there's one thing I can pray for tonight it's NO DALLAS COWBOYS COACHES.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

My take on who will be the next coach comes down to one of two choices.

2. If offensive staff decides to split than the Danny needs to go after Cowher.

Posted by: Papken28 | January 8, 2008 09:05 PM

I'm not seeing why the offense should be the primary consideration here given that it hasn't been the strong point of this team in recent years.

Posted by: suz | January 8, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

There is always meating at Morton's.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Do you remember when Spurrier quit? Who was the first guy that Dan Snyder interviewed? Jim Fassell, right? He might have gotten the job if Gibbs hadn't crawled out from under a rock. The dude's still available.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Where is there a Morton's in Reston? Is it in Reston Town Center? I can't believe how much they've built there. I remember when it was just the main street, anchored by the movie theater (I love that they let you take outside food into that theater).

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Is dealer's basement in Reston Town Center too? That's where they're hashing it out.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Wait, it's dealer's mom's basement, right?

I keed!

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

smack,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

hashing it out over an Oreo Pizza, no less

Posted by: CBT | January 8, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

dealer, does your mom charge rent?

I keed, too!

Posted by: CBT | January 8, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Now that I'm 40 my mom finally lets me eat in the car.

Jim Fassel was a scary thought (just to stay relevant).

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 09:21 PM

Posted by: CBT | January 8, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Candy Crowley is driving me back to Fox News Channel.

Actually alternating between CNN and FNC is hilarious, it's like living in two different countries. Sorry, from now on I'll go like this...

***Female Political Commentator Fantasy Post***

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Snyder paid too much for the pizza and tipped the delivery kid $100 as long as they were willing to re-structure the pizza price next time. Also he treated the operator like dirt.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 8, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Snyder made the pizza kid pay $35 for idling in dealer's mom's driveway.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"Dealer says it's in his basement, not his mom's. Makes sense because dealer allows outside food in his basement, but his mom doesn't."

That's not true. I have had outside food in Dealer's mom's basement..and in other rooms too...but that was years ago. Dealer, call me...I need to tell you something important.

Posted by: garygarbo | January 8, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Gregg Williams stays on as associate head coach of defense, and Snyder brings in Jeff Fisher, Grilliams' close friend, to helm the whole thing.

Posted by: Xlnt | January 8, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Jeff fischer just signed a new contract extention...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

"But if it's Cowher, I don't see how any of us can complain about .... Hello? Only in DC would fans get on a high horse about those credentials..."

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 06:58 PM

Now PDIDDY, you are on a high horse about Snyder, so are you part of the problem? The boy's doing better, leave him alone...unless he hires Cowher.

Posted by: forces | January 8, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"Bill is not in the area, according to a source close to him, and has not been contacted by the Redskins."

I heard this at 3:30 from dan snyder himself, you call yourself an insider posting this at 6:18.

Posted by: robncnc5 | January 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's track record speaks for itself, if you ask me. Let's see if he has learned anything. I hope he does. After all, I bleed burgundy, not red.

Posted by: PDiddy | January 8, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

beep beep!

Posted by: JustMe | January 8, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, I give up. What are the "beep beep" posts?

Posted by: garygarbo | January 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

That a new collection of typos has just been found.

Or a butterfly has earned its wings.

Or a Unicorn has earned its wings.

Or that there's a new post.

Posted by: daggar | January 8, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse