There's a Catch to Moving to NFL for Dorsey

More from this week's OTAs, which ended yesterday:

Dominique Dorsey was a star in the Canadian Football League. A multi-purpose threat, he returned kicks and punts and broke from the backfield as a running back. He was a CFL all-star and its special teams player of the year in 2008.

But he had a lot to learn after the Washington Redskins signed him as a free agent during the offseason. That is because the CFL's rules on returning punts -- and other, general rules about the game -- are very different.

In the CFL, every punt must be fielded by the returner, and there are no fair catches. If the ball is not fielded by the returner, a member of the kicking team behind the punter at the time of the kick can recover it. The returner is given a 5-yard halo to catch the ball.

"The transition for me is getting used to not having to catch everything, not having to get those balls on the ground and using the fair catch," Dorsey said. "Just knowing I have my players out there to help me."

But adjusting to the new rules was not totally foreign for Dorsey. He is from Tulare, Calif., where he played high school football, and went on to play college football at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. In addition to playing running back, he was a star returner. He ranks fifth in Mountain West Conference history with 54 career kickoff returns and 1,267 kickoff return yards.

At practice on Thursday, Dorsey fielded punts with two balls already in his arms. By attempting to catch the third ball with his arms already full, Dorsey was training to catch with his hands. It was not easy for the 5-foot-7 Dorsey.

"Those balls are pretty much bigger than my arms," he said. "It was a task, but I was able to do it."

Even though he had his arms full, Dorsey could have opted to fair catch those punts -- now that he has left the CFL.

"It's definitely a relief sometimes you get to fair catch," Dorsey said. "But who really likes to fair catch anyway?"

By Mark Viera  |  June 5, 2009; 8:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wynn: Camaraderie Counts, Too
Next: Largent Offers Pointers to Wide Receivers

Comments

"His mind......is ahead....of what the defense.........is"

~ Namath

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 5, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

But does a team of tight-knit bible readers win in today's NFL or does it just provide profanity-free reasons for why it goes 8-8 every year?

F!ck if I know.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 5, 2009 7:43 AM

I see where you're going with this, but there are numerous examples of teams with "tight-knit Bible readers" and winning big. Mike Singletary is a man of the cloth but he'll be the first one in line to pound you into a fine pulp on Sundays. Darrell Green is one of the best CBs of all time and is a man of God. Gibbs was great in his first stint here and his teams were usually elite.

Then on the other side of the coin, you have Bill Parcells who would sell his own mother into slavery to get even one win. So God doesn't have a favorite team...EVERY team has at least a handful of guys who do Bible study or go to church or pray before and after games. The Redskins problem is their FO, not their players reglious preference.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope Dorsey is Darren Sproles 2.0...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Happy Friday....other than that, I got nothing.....6 shots, thats all dh took was 6 shots....SVG, you gotta do him better than that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 5, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Well, I guess everyone who hated all of the negative posts of the old regime should be happy now…..it’s almost like that Matt Terl blog on Redskins dot com up here lately.

But anyway, I did ask yesterday if anyone heard anything about the new returner from Canada, and lo and behold I get to read about him this morning…..alllllriiigghht! After reading the rules for the CFL, I can now see why Mike Nelms never fair caught anything.

Also liked the article about Marko Mitchell this morning; mostly optimistic with a little sprinkle of skepticism. I had already forgotten about that draft pick.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 5, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Adding a punt return or kickoff return threat is an intangible that adds an increase in average points per game.

If Dominique Dorsey makes it and he is the real deal, this is another inkling of moves I see the Redskins making in this offseason that bodes very well for this team.

Redskins go 12 and 4.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 5, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Larry a good KRPR is invaluable

Posted by: alex35332 | June 5, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Thats a good idea to have him catch the ball with his arms full.

Hopefully he can ignite the return game just a bit.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 5, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

agree with Larry a good KRPR is invaluable

Posted by: alex35332 | June 5, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I always liked WKRP (in cincinatti)

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 5, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Dorsey, there's someone I'd like you to meet. His name is Randle El.

Oh man, what a set up!

Posted by: Devo2 | June 5, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather see him practicing KO returns that punts, but either would be a plus, I guess.

I've never understood why so many guys want to plant themselves and start a return from 0 momentum. I think they'd have a lot more explosiveness running up to catch the ball while they are already in motion.

Posted by: McMetal | June 5, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I would like to have us find the next BMitch..

Posted by: alex35332 | June 5, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McMetal | June 5, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Thats way way way to trixy I think. You already have to watch the flyers coming at you and your blocking being set up.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 5, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

When does Devin Hester become a FA?

You know Snyder will pay him and he is realtively young

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 5, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The Dorsey post should've been done months ago.

I'd like to see him get a shot as the fourth receiver--why not get a speed guy in a position where he can get the ball on offense and perhaps break open a run or two on a pass?

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 5, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 5, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I would like to have us find the next BMitch..

Posted by: alex35332

Agreed - our kick return game is average at best. Love me some Rock Cartwright...but he needs to show some more break away speed when he hits that 50 yard line...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 5, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"....Namath..."

You know there's a movie about him coming out later this year.

Broadway Joe--it turns out--had more problems than a math book.

An why do they only make movies about people with jacked up lives?

Movies about stars I'd like to see:

Wacko Jacko

Madonna

Jenna Jamison (no, thake that back, I've seen enough of her movies already)

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 5, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Will the 'Skins get three touchdowns each time he scores holding his three balls?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 5, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"....Namath..."

You know there's a movie about him coming out later this year.

Broadway Joe--it turns out--had more problems than a math book.

An why do they only make movies about people with jacked up lives?

Posted by: MistaMoe

"He's a passer..................not a thrower...."

*Classic*

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 5, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Devo2 beat me to the punch...

Posted by: p1funk | June 5, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 5, 2009 9:54 AM

No, we are well above average. Rock Cartwright was 10th in the league for average kickoff return yardage for guys who returned 20 or more kickoffs last year. Carwright is not the problem, nor are kickoffs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 5, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 5, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

rock is the man!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | June 5, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Larry, I agree about the PR & KR is right on but I think somewhere between that statement, and "Redskins go 12 and 4." you fell and bumped your head HARD 12-4 is a BIG REACH I think all goes right maybe 9-7 and squeak into playoffs, more than likely 7-9. Would love to be wrong though!!!

Posted by: Deadfish | June 5, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I hope this guy becomes the punt returner ARE has got to be one of the worst PR's this team has had in awhile, we get nothing from him back there. We need to get somebody who can get upfield, a TD from a PR can change a game, remember the Detroit game last year.

Dorsey needs to be in the backfield or in the return game, we don't need a 5'7"
fifth receiver our starters are short enough.

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 5, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It is interesting that the team decided that they wanted to dabble with a scatback ala Sproles in San Diego because I am not sure I have really seen such a one dimensional back in a West Coast offense before. Surely, having speed in the backfield can stretch a defense wide, and a little swing or screen pass to a guy with top end speed has the potential to break open a big play, but I only see this working well if you have the threat of a deep passing game stretching the defense as well. Still, I could see some intriguing wrinkles with both Portis and a scatback in the backfield at the same time, or a scatback that motions to a wide receiver slot. It will be interesting to see the plan.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 5, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

We need something more this year. I personally would accept 5 yards less per return for 2 or 3 breakaway TD's. Come the 2nd half of the season, the return average would probably increase anyway, as opponents respected the chance of a big return.

I said last year, we could be 10-6, 6-10, or anywhere in between. I think, barring defensive touchdowns, it'll be the same this year, at least until the O-Line improves.

I see the LG @ Kansas City wants out. No good o us now, I guess...

Posted by: stevebeagrie | June 5, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

F!ck if I know.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 5, 2009 7:43 AM

Hey Dude, these Bible readers are doing it for two reasons.
1. To strengthen their faith.
2. To ask for early forgiveness from God for the evil redskins defense is about to unleash on NFC east quarter backs.

Note: Please use Capital B to start Bilbe.

Hail

Posted by: abxinc | June 5, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Deadfish | June 5, 2009 11:08 AM |

6-2 was a BIG REACH and also 2-6 was a BIG REACH. The Team could have easily been 10-6 last year and for sure this year, the way I see it we will not struggle to win games Offensively and the D' will even be improved from last year. I mean like bringing smoke improved.

I'm looking at a 10-point swing, 5 on O' side and 5 on the D' side.

Couple that with a year of experience by coach Zorn and a Peed Off J. Campbell and we will knock down the doors on 11-12 wins.

Seems improbable, but this is Redskin Football we talkin' bout. And those of you that understand the significance of this, "The Bandwagon" is coming out this year.

Ya' heard' from LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | June 5, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Man, I'd love to have a real 3rd down back again; remember how much fun and effective the O was when we had the likes of Joe Washington and Kelvin Bryant darting all around the field? Even a "poor man's" Sproles would give our O a big boost.

Posted by: kenboy1 | June 5, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins problem is their FO, not their players reglious preference.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 5, 2009 8:04 AM

======================================

Amen to that, Brother!

(Hogmeister is a member of the Church of the Holy-Christ-Get-A-Real-GM)

Posted by: hogmeister | June 6, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse

Dorsey said "But who really likes to fair catch anyway?"

Answer: Antwan Randal El

Posted by: BMACattack | June 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"You must not have watched the game. Otherwise, you would know why he only took 6 shots and that it wasn't SVG's fault. DH is not a back to the basket post player. He has no post moves so he as to dribble to get to the basket and dunk it. When ever he tried to dribble the LAL guards dug down and he had to pick up the ball and pass it out to shooters who weren't hitting.Posted by: learnedhand"

True, and yet...

That's the problem with a superstar center who can't shoot from beyond 5 feet. You can front him. If he comes out to get the ball, he's too far away from the basket to convert. And if he puts it on the floor -- well, that's what they're hoping he'll do.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 6, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse