Things That Make You Go Hmmmm

Anyone else wonder if just maybe the fact that Clinton Portis has tendinitis now might have something to do with why he wasn't in the game for those final two plays in Week 3? I mean, unless he hurt himself slipping in the locker room after the game or something, then you'd have to imagin he got hurt in the actual game itself, right?

Yeah, I know Betts and Portis and "interchangeable" and all, but some players out here believe Portis re-injured his knee in the fourth quarter of that game, forcing him to the sidelines in that final drive. I am told that Jason Campbell may have said as much on the radio this morning.

Hey, I get why teams hide injuries, etc., but Portis, Gibbs and Bubba Tyer all said the tailback was perfectly fine after that game, and in the ensuing days. Bottom line: It's no surprise the tendinitis flared back up - that's what it does and Portis plays a brutally physical position - and like the team said in the offseason, it's much harder to control the rest and rehab during the season than it is before the grind begins.

Also, forgot to mention this yesterday, but well afer practice Campbell and Todd Collins were working with the receivers in shorts and t-shirts, running lots of routes, working on timing. Now, Santana Moss - who very well could miss Sunday's game with a groin injury - was not taking part, obviously, and neither was one other wide receiver, for what it's worth.

Randle El, Thrash, McCardell, and Caldwell were excitedly doing the extra work. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but the omission of the other healthy wideout did not go un-noticed around here, with hiim back in the locker room while the rest of his position group was working.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 2, 2007; 11:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis and Moss
Next: Portis Update

Comments

Only good thing about this upcoming offseason: the departure of brandon lloyd. Don't let the door hit you on your way out, buddy.

Posted by: Mike | October 2, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

To me, Gibbs/any other NFL team lying about player health is a massive non-story...

Bravo gamemanship I say...we all knew why Portis wasnt in, if they want to have a united front alt narrative...fine

BUTT

Great inside word on those extra reps.....Love it..I would love to see bloyd in street clothes sunday and give these new, hungry guys a shot...love this post Janso and the scoop!

Posted by: Chris Larry | October 2, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Lets face it folks,Lloyd should just go. We seriuosly need to evaluat the draft next year. get a first round receiver, second round d lineman and a third round guard.

Posted by: Jeff | October 2, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Brian Mitchell can come out of retirement to take Portis' roster spot...

Posted by: Icarus | October 2, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

If they can do it to that safety last year they can do it to the wide receiver this year. Tell him to stay home, collect your paychecks and don't come around here no more!

Posted by: virtueandvice | October 2, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't anybody get it? Lloyd is saving himself for when he's really needed. If he were to expose his ability to the league, then the league would figure out how to defense him when it matters. Come on, people, back off Lloyd. He's our hidden gem.

Posted by: Neil | October 2, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

And now back to our regular non-fictionalized comments...

Posted by: Neil | October 2, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

From last thread.

Question: Why can't the Skins allow Marcus Mason become our version of Derrick Ward?

Posted by: dcsween | October 2, 2007 11:48 AM

That's exactly what I've been thinking myself. (waiting for beantown Greg now to come poopoo on that idea)

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Man did I make a mistake giving this Lloyd guy a lot of money. Maybe I should make everybody happy and send him a new TV and tell him to keep his a$$ at home where it belongs

Posted by: Mr Synder | October 2, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

how many td's does the receiver score next season? 8-10, at least.

Posted by: gman | October 2, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It is widely recognized in the league that Gibbs is not a good talent evaluator (harken back to the days of Desmond Howard...) but at least he was known for finding "character" guys. He and the front office really missed - huge miss - on Lloyd and it hamstring the cap for the future. Not good stewardship of the franchise.

Posted by: WhazzUp | October 2, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

If anyone suggests that we bring up Marcus Mason to replace Clinton, well I just poop on that idea.

how was that?? LOL

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | October 2, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

FIRE THE BUM. Show Llody the door and tell him to not let it hit him in the butt on his way out. Actually, the door hitting him on the way out may be the hardest he gets hit in two years.

Posted by: The Terminator | October 2, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

He's an 'established' guy.

Props to dcsween or whoever called both Portis and Moss after the game.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 2, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Zebra
Your right about signing Keenan Mccardell Hes going to be awesome and he will come up with a clutch play.
I hav a question about how long ago we drafted him? Wasnt he on the roster when we won our SB in 1991,Man if Darrelle Green can play for 25 yrs then i guess a wr can do the same.WOW

Posted by: You da man Zebra | October 2, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

That's what I'm talking about! Jasno with some real inside information, lots of updates during the day, and a little evenhanded analysis. Now, what's happening on the D-side of the ball?

Posted by: Ghost of Plimpton | October 2, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

F THE RECEIVER! WHAT A PIECE OF $H!T

Posted by: nah | October 2, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Horrible song reference by the way. Just reading the title, that damn hook is already stuck in my head!

Posted by: nah | October 2, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

What?

When did I say that? Remember, crack is whack.

Posted by: Zebra | October 2, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok look, the "Marcus, Marcus, Marcus" chanting must stop. What the hell is wrong with you people? Some people posting on here are very unappreciative. Some people posting don't realize that Clinton has carried the ball over 800 times since coming to Washington, and thats not including the 48 carries he has this year. Give him some damn respect. His 4.7 avg. is the highest since his last year in Denver, and we all know how those Denver years were. Ok, he may be hurt, but there is no denying he is a warrior. He will play with a banged up knee, shoulder, foot, or whatever. People want to push aside Portis, for a guy who excelled in the, excuse me, preseason? Are you F'n kidden me, seriously? Marcus Mason maybe a great young talent. I may dare to say he is just as good, if not better than Ladell Betts. I'm going to say one thing so I can make it clear:

CLINTON PORTIS STAYS HURT OFTEN BECAUSE HE IS A RUNNING BACK. ON AVERAGE A D-LINEMAN WEIGHTS FROM 265-350, DEPENDING ON LINE POSITION. LINEBACKERS WEIGHT ANYWHERE FROM 235-255, MAYBE 260. A RUNNING BACK WEIGHTS FROM 195-235. Lets for the sake of arguing say that Clinton Portis is 220lbs. That means he is giving up on average about EIGHTY POUNDS to linemen and THIRTY POUNDS to linebackers, who BTW now-a-days run faster than you can say Barry Sanders.

A quick recap...

822 carries + consistently getting tackled by people who outweight you anywhere from 30-80 pounds = MASS INJURIES^2

Its simple as that. Next time you call for a guy who has the same number of career carries as... ugh, I don't know, ME! Remember CP and how he sacrificed everything for your enjoyment. And Redskin fans wonder why bad luck always follows the team. I swear in a few years Philadelphia fans and Washington fans will have more in common than just two NFC east teams they root and cheer for.

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"I have a question about how long ago we drafted him (McCardell)? Wasnt he on the roster when we won our SB in 1991"

Yes, I believe he has a Super Bowl ring from being with the Redskins in 1991.

Posted by: Dlyne8r | October 2, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think trading Betts is still a good idea?

Posted by: Skinz | October 2, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

how was that?? LOL

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | October 2, 2007 12:10 PM

Agreed!

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Those who employ all caps dont' get read.

Posted by: Blog Rule | October 2, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

My one question.

When will these receivers we keep signing actually play?

Posted by: Heath Shuler | October 2, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

OH, BTW.

Clinton ain't 220lbs.

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hello Hello,

Everyone needs to lighten up on The Receiver. He had to hurry and leave practice to get the record studio and record another album. This one will be titled: Forget TDs,I make CDs!!!

Posted by: CliveDavis | October 2, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Realist - No one suggested bringing in Mason to relace Portis. Sorry you got worked up for nothing but you can relax now.

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey 12:26 post whoever dosen't use a actual name dosen't amount to fecal matter. I am saying, I'am just saying.

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Realist (sound of Clapping)

i was thinking about that same premise after the eagles game. Thinking about how their fans never appreciate anything and ride their team at the first sign of a mistake, booing them to death. Who would want to play for such a fan base? Why would anyone torment themselves purposefully like that.

Some people up here are very close to that. Jack used to be but he has been kinder and gentler in recent weeks. Buit there are many non-regs who come up here to complain and scream, maybe it is a good sounding board, just dont boo JC for one bad play, or CP when he has one fumble out of how many ever carries w/o one.

perspective

Posted by: Zebra | October 2, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

F THE RECEIVER! WHAT A PIECE OF $H!T

Posted by: nah | October 2, 2007 12:15 PM

you took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 2, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

So for this game against the Lions, our WR situation should look something like:

Active list:
81) ARE
v) Thrash
44) Caldwell
h) McCardell

Inactive list:
U) Moss

D-bag list:
f) Receiver, The

Posted by: 4-12 | October 2, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

-BigFish plz don't direct any comments in my direction don't fell like arguning with a peon today. Not today. Read some of the comments about Clinton Portis and you tell me what is being displayed. Kindness? F-off, you're swimming up the wrong stream bud.

*And yes for whoever is asking, someone did pi$$ in my corn flakes this morning.*

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah sounds like Lloyd should get keyshawned. Addition by subtraction

Posted by: skinswest | October 2, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, perhaps a Freudian slip with my "f)Recevier, The".
Anyway, good to be back among the blogging, after a week of mostly not blogging.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 2, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Did McC get a ring? He did not play for the team just had a roster spot according to NFL.com

Posted by: 35332 | October 2, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

• The Lions went away from their vertical passing game against the Bears; and it worked. Using a series of quick-rhythm throws, the Lions got Roy Williams and Mike Furrey loose against Chicago's young secondary. After peppering the Bears with underneath routes during the second and third quarters, the Lions found it easier to connect with their receivers on deeper throws across the middle late in the game.

--bucky brooks

Posted by: WrongDog | October 2, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

F the Receiver, indeed!

He's no Michael Westbrook,

Er...L. Coles

I mean,Gardner...

Um,Taylor Jacobs?

Let's have a big Redskins welcome for DESMOND HOWARD!

Posted by: Corkwideout | October 2, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Realist - Maybe you should just take a blogation today. There were quite a few comments about trading Betts yesterday but no regulars were downing Portis. Those comments about Portis are pretty much from anonymous posters or other a$$clowns.

And please refrain from personal attacks on a blog. Seems a little childish.

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if he has a ring, but he has a wheelchair!

zing!

[:-|

Posted by: Dik | October 2, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Holy smokes.

Makes sense, though. Lloyd strikes me as one of those cats who doesn't care about producing - only cares about logging in to his Bank Of America account on a daily basis to check that multi-million dollar balance he has sitting in his savings account. Bastard.

Posted by: Pretzel Boy | October 2, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"McCardell received a Super Bowl XXVI ring while spending his first NFL season on the Redskins injured reserve list."

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

atleast this means that thrash gets more playing time. In my opinion he is the most under used wideout on the team. I for one will be happy to see him play more. His hard work will hopefully finally pay off.

Posted by: Skinsftw | October 2, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"And please refrain from personal attacks on a blog. Seems a little childish."

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 12:43 PM

Apologies to fishes!

Going to take 2hrs...

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

i for one am happy to hear that the possible reason portis wasn't in there was because of injury. hey they can lie to us fans/hamsters all they want. and i really don't care if they lie to the press. all i care about is that they can tell the difference between Portis and Betts.

also...watching pats last night...and other teams. there is absolutely no reason to syche/sike the other team out by not throwing/using to your best players...especially in crunch time. they used betts instead of cooley, moss, ARE up there.

can't wait to see what they've worked on in terms of 2 minute drills. whenever someone needs a cab in a hurry they don't call a cab company, which then calls me. the fastest way to get a cab is to go to the cab directly. so there ought to be just one person talking to JC in 2 minute drills and that is whomever is calling the plays.

Posted by: dealer | October 2, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It'll be nice to see Thrash on the field and not have all 11 guys on defense able to key on stopping the run.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 2, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Who will catch a pass first this year?

Thrash or Lloyd

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Thrash should never be on the feild during anything else than special teams....a waste of space...we have had WR problems for three years, when has he ever stepped up...

You all can hate on Betts, Portis and others...to me Thrash shouldnt even be on the team...

Posted by: Chris Larry | October 2, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Not defending Lloyd or anything, but our passing game hasn't exactly 'lit it up' so far this season. The Skins usually only run 2 wide receiver sets (Moss and ARE) and if they do run 3 wideouts which isn't very often, I've never seen the ball thrown Lloyd's way. One good game by Lloyd (shootout with Lions) and he is right up there with Moss and ARE in receptions. Just sayin'...

Receptions:

Moss - 12
ARE - 11
Poris - 7
Cooley - 6

Posted by: CC | October 2, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Lloyd lined up opposite of ARE on Sunday but I am pi$$ed about him not putting in the extra work with Soup like the other guys did. I say give him the 1st quarter at least to see how it goes.

Posted by: bigfish | October 2, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

from msn.foxsports.com

McCardell was drafted by the Redskins 326th overall (12th round) in 1991 and spent the season on injured reserve with a torn meniscus. Still, the 37-year-old McCardell is the only current Redskin who won a Super Bowl ring with Washington

Posted by: Gregskins | October 2, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

maybe McCardell is moving to H-Back since Cooley is now an O-lineman??? Heal up Moss, we need you.

Posted by: Gregskins | October 2, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I have a wonderful idea. We need to bring back Michael Westbrook and let him at Reciever, The. It worked for Stephen Davis......

Posted by: TE85 | October 2, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

just frickedn weird...I am pissed we had 8 mos to put together a WR corps and we are now signing old and baggage...I hope it works but I am pissed we don't have a stable of guys we developed who can carry on over the years with Campbell.

Posted by: herb | October 2, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

beep beep.............

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, do they pay you extra to be the house shrink?

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | October 2, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsRealist | October 2, 2007 12:30 PM

I am just saying, who cares. Your actual name is SkinsRealist mine is Heath Shuler. What does it matter?

Why can't you just answer my question or give your thoughts on my question instead of talking about my Posted by name.

I am 80% positive the fecal matter is in my pants.

Posted by: Heath Shuler | October 2, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I am 80% positive the fecal matter is in my pants.

Posted by: Heath Shuler | October 2, 2007 01:28 PM

Maybe you should change your drawers before you continue to blog???????

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

At the Redskins Luncheon B. Lloyd was sitting at his assigned table with sleeves rolled up admiring his own forearms. When he first sat down, he rifled through the skins calender presumably to see if his picture was a month and then tossed it aside. (Earth to Brandon: 23 catches don't get you a month). He yawned and texted on his phone while coaches a players gave their speeches. I know they don't say much other than fluff - but at least pretend you're listening. Driving there, I told my somebody that B Lloyd had turned the corner with the added muscle and preseason TD. When we were leaving I said "I was wrong, Brandon is a punk".

Posted by: Alan S | October 2, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Practice ain't nothing to a balla.

Get at me on Xbox-Live.

FU JLC.

B. Lloyd, Meanest of All.

Posted by: B. Lloyd | October 2, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Brandon is super-smart.

Posted by: JJ Gibbs | October 2, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it's already been talked about. Gibbs was on the Radio and said that they toyed with the idea of putting HB Blades in at Fullback and Sellers in at Halfback on goalline.

Posted by: Skinz | October 2, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

How about making lloyd the goal line halfback the next time the Skins are far ahead late in the game? (Like that's gonna happen.) I really wish no permanent physical damage, but perhaps there's an opportunity for an early retirement/injury settlement. Maybe they should start practicing that play. Every day. Just in case... Could be a win/win.

Posted by: Goldenfried | October 2, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Brandon is terminally pointless and for the sake of conveying a message, he should have his narrow ass kicked off the stool in front of his locker and fired.

Posted by: erthdog | October 2, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What is with that guy? It's really troubling - are you saying he opted out of the extra work? Or did the quorum doing the extra work just forget to invite him? I hate when there are guys like this - it shows that the team is not quite a team yet. And until they become a team, they aren't going to win anything significant.

Posted by: Frustrated Skins fan | October 2, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I think McCardell ,who is familiar with the offense , Moss, ARE and Reche will be playing pretty well together as a unit by week 9-10.

The question is...can we keep our starters healthy, play less cover 2, and generate a run game until then? If we can manage to be .500 or better at the half way point then our O'should flourish in the second half barring the loss of JC, Moss,another starting OL or Portis.

IMO we just need time for the right side of the OL and 2 new WR's to get adjusted to the terminology and execution of Al's Offense.McCardell has an advantage because he played in a similar system in SD.Wade was here last year but he and
Fabini/DeMulling need time to mesh with Casey and vice versa.

On O JC will only get better but he needs an OL first followed by a run game. On D GW needs to man up and live by the sword while being willing to die by the sword. I'm sick to death of the cover 2, we dont have the Dline for it Greg. It's like a boxer holding on with three rounds to go hellooo...McFly.

Posted by: Eric Bateman | October 2, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Get well CP. we need you.

As for "The player". Thats it!!! Make "The Player" inactive for the rest of the season.

From now on I'm going to refer to him as "The Player" because he has caught as many passes as I have this year. Therefore he ain't no "Receiver".

Posted by: Thaiphoon | October 3, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Eric Bateman | October 2, 2007 08:53 PM
=========================

Agreed... GW makes me wish Richie Petitbon was still our D-coordinator. The same 2nd half adjustments GW doesn't seem to make were made routinely by Petitbon. And Petitbon seemed to taylor his scheme to fit his players' abilities. GW doesn't seem to grasp this concept.

Posted by: Thaiphoon | October 3, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Excuse me ... taylor = tailor.

Had ST on the brain there for a second.

Posted by: Thaiphoon | October 3, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse