This Should Hold You Over

Alright gang, here is the rest of the stuff I have for now (well, almost all of it; some things I am still working on).

Please keep the comments and emails coming as to what you want to read about on this thing the next three weeks, and as always I'll do my best to oblige.

Lance Briggs - The Skins and Bears have not talked about the linebacker in quite some time, and, in fact, there has been virtually no interest in the Pro Bowler, league sources said. Some execs would not be shocked if at some point the Bears just cut him - Briggs vows to holdout the first 10 games anyway, and Chicago has no intentions of giving him a longterm deal and he'll carry a huge salary as a franchise player - when the Skins would likely pounce.

Dan Snyder already let Briggs know he would get a fat contract here during trade talks earlier this offseason, and I doubt anyone would outspend him for Briggs, particularly given the paucity of offers for him on the trade market. Would the Bears end up just taking a low pick for him - maybe, perhaps. Either way it continues to look like he may have played his last game for the Bears.

Cooley - As of the weekend talks on a contract extension had not begun sources said (although I have no idea what they are waiting for). The Skins have made keeping him a priority and Chris knows as much, and they'll start negotiating by next month I am sure. I would be all about getting this done before the start of the season, by all means, and I know that Coach Joe's goal. The price will be cheaper and they don't want another Dockery situation. Skins currently $5.1 million under the cap (and still have rookies to sign, although only one, Landry, who will make any real money). Once the Skins are ready to throw the figures around, I know Chris is eager to listen.

Brunell - Is being limited to mostly short passes for now coming back from a torn labrum, but has been sharp I hear. Team is watching his reps closely and he can't try to throw deep yet, but is coming along well. Should he suffer no setbacks I envision the Skins eventually letting Collins go. Mark has a base of $1.5 million this season (non-guaranteed, of course) and two roster bonuses geared to his health. He gets $250,000 if on the roster June 27th and another $250,000 on Aug. 15, sources said.

(As for other QBs, Bramlet - who got some blog luv way back when - is tearing up NFL Zooropa (I hate U2 post-Boy but couldn't resist), and like I've been saying for a while I think he's the No. 3 QB. I could see Palmer on the practice squad, again, just taking a long-view guess here. Also, Jason Campbell could be the bargain of the NFL with a base of $572,500 this season. However, should he play 80 percent of the snaps in 2007 - a near certainty barring injury - he could make about $1.5 million in escalators that would add to his modest base salaries in 2008 and 2009.)

Other Stuff:
Some of you guys emailed me about Ray Brown, and whether he is still serving as an adjunct coach/conduit between players and coaches. Well, he hasn't been around this offseason and told me this afternoon from the golf course that, "I think this will be my year off," meaning a year to relax and enjoy his retirement. Ray said he won't be on staff this season but will do some local TV work and still pop his head into Redskins Park quite a bit. For that I am grateful. It was always great to shoot the breeze with Ray, and it wouldn't be the same 'round here without him.

Also, a bunch of people asked about the Zach Hilton signing/cutting, as he was released within days of being signed. Well, according to the tight end's father,, Hilton, a local product, was told that after an injury to a RB (the Portis tendonitis setback in all likelihood), the team decided it needed a roster spot for a better blocker, someone more like a FB/H-back. The team told Hilton's agent that Zach's run blocking wasn't strong enough - no shock there as he is primarily a pass-catching TE with great size - but there's a chance he could be re-signed later in the offseason.

Final results on the autopsy on former Redskin Kevin Mitchell, who died in his sleep in April at age 36, are still not available according to the Virginia Medical Examiner. The initial autopsy revealed a massive heart attack, but more thorough analysis should provide a full picture of the causes (sleep apnea was one possibility).

I hear that Rocky McIntosh and Cooley have both been standouts during OTAs. At least that's what their teammates are saying. Of all the rookies on the roster not named Landry, the veterans tell me that Byron Westbrook looks to be a real potential diamond in the rough.

We should get another update on Clinton Portis, and his knee tendonitis, on Thursday. I heard he was around The Park last week - when OTAs were not ongoing- working out. However, there remain some concerns about how much - or little - he will be able to do in the preseason. Like I've said all along on this one, the guy is a true gamer on Sunday - as fierce as they come - but has never been a big offseason/preseason/practice guy. A lot of his work habits will have to change and we'll see how his body responds to his first major injuries as a pro - and after carrying the ball about 700 times from 2004-2005.

Hence the unwillingness to move Ladell Betts despite there being repeated interest in him by other teams this offseason, to say nothing of the fact that Ladell seems poised to prove he can be a very efficient back as well (I know Earnest Byner is working hard with him on the fumble-itus issues).

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 4, 2007; 5:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D-Line Update
Next: What About The Kickers, Man?

Comments

Welcome back, Jasno! We missed you!

Posted by: KK | June 4, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Janso- Great to have you back. "Little" Rocco is 15 pounds at 8 weeks old? Good grief. I'll be his agent right now! Lots of stuff for us hamsters to chew on. Thanks!

Posted by: 4-12 | June 4, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

JLC, first post on your blog, that is great stuff. I appreciate all the hard work. Good to have you back.

Posted by: John in Richmond | June 4, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

GREAT BLOG. I agree w/ you a hundred percent...we go as Griff goes. He is the most important person on this team next year ( and i think the second most important is Todd Wade and third most important is JC).

Posted by: meraj | June 4, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"Janso". Hmmmm. A misspelling of a previous misspelling.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 4, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"Team is watching his reps closely and he can't try to throw deep yet"....

Never knew he did when he was healthy....

Posted by: LuvsMEsumMe | June 4, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Can you explain the cap situation? $5.1 million under but with a rookie pool of around $3.4 million. That only leaves $1.7 to play with. Is that enough to extend Cooley? And how can they contemplate other moves like Briggs or Schobel? Don't they need to leave some slack to sign players during the season once someone (Springs?) goes down?

Posted by: KK | June 4, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

must say, its great to have you back, loving the news

Posted by: Masood | June 4, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Lisa--

A while back, I was predicting Springs would be a June 1 cut, and you were saying I didn't know what I was talking about. Only you were a bit more pointed than that. I'm here to say, with due contrition, that you were right and I was wrong.

Posted by: KK | June 4, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't say enough about how great it is to have some actual news about the Skins. Its right up there with taking a shower after a weekend of hiking-in camping.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Lisa is not here no more thanks to me BWAHAHAHAHA.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Moving up 25 spots in exchange for Briggs should have been a slam dunk for the Bears. I'll laugh if they end up getting nothing for him.

Getting out manipulated by Vinny has got to be the final straw for Angelo. What a dope.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | June 4, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason, glad your back.

Posted by: Alexander | June 4, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

J to the L to the A,

"Hate" is such a strong word. I'm sure Bono is crushed.

Posted by: disappointed | June 4, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Idiot poster (BWAHAHAHA idiot) you got that wrong. I'm here and kicking. Will far outlive you on the blog!

KK, I'm soooo glad that I was right :)

Posted by: Lisa | June 4, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Good to have you back Jase!

I love hearing that Rocky is doing well! No issues with his knee then??

Posted by: kost52 | June 4, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

SMACK - This should be music to your ears, I heard on the radio this morning that AC Milan are planning on making a big run on our boy Thierry.

Posted by: kost52 | June 4, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

A couple of questions: 1) any chance Bramlet gets reps in pre-season and does he get a season on the bench during the season or back to zooropa? 2) Why does Brunell stay and Collins gets cut, it seems Collins is the better value per age and knowledge of Saunders' system--I know it's Joe's bias, but in your opinion, who can get more out of the system? 3) have you been able to compare Palmer vs. Hollenbach? Can you describe the differences you see? Any chance Hollenbach might be better for a complex system? Thanks.

Posted by: Eric | June 4, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Lisa!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cindy | June 4, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Eric, just a guess but (1) Brunell took a huge pay cut to stay (2) Gibbs LOVES Brunell and (3) Brunell has been a starter for many, many years in the NFL.....Collins? Never. And he has been in the league how long???

Posted by: Lisa | June 4, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Let me echo by saying it is GREAT to have you back, J-Man!

Posted by: Green Baby G | June 4, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Let me echo by saying it is GREAT to have you back, J-Man!

Posted by: Green Baby G | June 4, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

jasno, thank you for the 3 blogs today. unfortunately, this is not enough to hold me over as i have been suffering major skins news withdrawls for quite some time. more blogs ASAP please!!! make stuff up if you have to, but give us some good info!

Posted by: talk show host | June 4, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Brunell couldn't throw deep when he was healthy. "Limited to Short Passes". Sounds like a gameplan!

I kid because I love.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 4, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

When Cooley gets a new deal, there should be a specified holdback of the value of "one signed CD" so that when Cooley "gets paid", so does Barno.

Posted by: Mr. Pink | June 4, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"have you been able to compare Palmer vs. Hollenbach? Can you describe the differences you see?"
Posted by: Eric | June 4, 2007 06:23 PM

Well, for starters, Hollenbach is not any good.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

damn Diddy - you beat me to that softball about brunell...nice work

Posted by: RBD202 | June 4, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, the available cap room was $6.688 million.

Posted by: Mr. Pink | June 4, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

What position does byron westbrook play, CB?

Posted by: t-mac | June 4, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Brunell has the perfect throwing range and skill set for "1st and Goal at the 3".

Posted by: Mr. Pink | June 4, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Jason. It is great to read the news again. Glad to hear the family is doing well.

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | June 4, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

An orgy of info...binge and purge. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Posted by: chris larry | June 4, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Good work, ass-kicking stuff.

Posted by: John Pappas | June 4, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

It's your world J, but allow me:

Westbrook is a defensive back.

Posted by: John Pappas | June 4, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I noticed Lloyd was considerably more bulky in his upper body as well.

Redskins.com TV had some footage of him in OTAs and it was pretty startling. I expected him to remain a toothpick because his frame didn't seem to be the type to which bulk could be added, but not so.

He and Springs must have been on some kind of serious training program in Arizona together.

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | June 4, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, Olbermann, Stewart, and Letterman all back the same day. That is a good day.

Bad weekend. I already miss Fat Bobby after his taking about 60 slugs in the Kielbasa while toy trains crashed around him. I bet SIl pulls through and if that New York Rat Bestid doesn't get lit up next week, there is no justice.

Chase will keep the Big Three alive in case he can't resist a Soprano's movie.

Sign Cooley, keep the pix, get the DL help thru the draft and FA next year.

Posted by: Corkczar | June 4, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Keep us up to date on the rookies. From now until August, the drama is who makes the team.

Posted by: R | June 4, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

that was some good shti jasono! good work!

and you can blame cindy about the name.

i love ray brown. the guy is such a professional and a collected person. hopefully we'll see him on comcast. i'd have taken czaben's head off if i was him. i've done total 180 on czaben. i can't stand to hear his voice anymore.

i for one would feel very relieved if brunell was healthy again. and you didn't calm my nerves by not mentioning JC among cooley and mcintosh as the players making waves...

Posted by: dealer | June 4, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. you came back like a champ.

I think if Palmer goes to the Practice Squad, someone picks him off it. He may need a phantom injury to protect him this year.

Posted by: Corkczar | June 4, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

yep, diddy, that was a T-ball. you should be ashamed of yourself.

welcome "back" lisa!!! woohooo!

Posted by: dealer | June 4, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that was SOOOO good! Thanks, JLaC. Welcome back!

Now I'm all fired up and ready for the season to begin. Only problem...how many days did you say it was until preseason football, Inigo Montoya, 68? And that's just preseason. Ugh. Well, at least we have Jasno and RI to tide us over!=)

Posted by: Starbuck | June 4, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

btw cindy and pdiddy, you guys owe me $1.75 each. i spent $3.50 on rocky balboa! :)

also i'm going to pretend sopranos ended two weeks ago. like mr. tony i didn't like the episode. i would've been much happier had they ended the show with tony going to see his son in the mental ward...that scene was BRILLIANT!

Posted by: dealer | June 4, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis will continue to improve, no doubt in my mind, leave him be for now, he's not a slacker, he's a hard working individual and the Danny would be wise to keep him around and out of a doctor's office...

Posted by: HarvMarv38 | June 4, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

You need to take a walk to chat up some of your colleagues over at the business section bubba. There is some interesting beach house conversation amongst the Wall Streeters about the Redskins and the possibility Danny Boy si preparing to sell. romors are he doesnt think he can continue to see the profit levels he wants in the future with the Skins so he is considering the sale of the franchise before the price drops!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Lifetime, television for women...check it out.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Diddy ... you beat me to the comment about Brunell and "limited to short passes". No fear, soon he'll being throwing deep -- about 15 yards. Yeah, let's cut Collins to make room for this wonder.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | June 4, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Whats up with Lavar?

Posted by: SLICKRED 1 | June 4, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Jason, what the word with Laron's contract??? Have you heard any issues???

Posted by: Tim | June 4, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | June 4, 2007 06:23 PM

That is Primus to my ears, kost, hope it goes down. If we get anything over 15 million pounds, I will throw in Julius Jones.

Posted by: SMACK | June 4, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"Well, for starters, Hollenbach is not any good."

I have heard a rumor that Maryland might change their name from the Terrapins to the 'Possums. They play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Posted by: midniterc | June 4, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Tim - they won't even start negotiating with LAndry until July.

Thierry may find a tough go of it in Italy. He's built for the English game.

With the way Danny Boy's Six Flags stock and radio stations are doing - that is, failing -0 I don't see him letting go of the one cash cow he has, not by a longshot. But I've been wrong many times before. I'd be stunned if he sold anytime soon, though.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 4, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Sopranos...

I agree w/ anonymous. I will miss it but at the same time, good riddance. Once they turned Tony into a fat, huffing and puffing shnook with mental problems and family problems and money problem and respect problems. Can you say Desperate Sopranos?

I wanted to see Tony take over the world. NOW, do you believe it when he shags the peyote chick? Not in a million years. Who's writing this crap, the same people who do King of Queens?

Rant over, sorry.

Posted by: SMACK | June 4, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Good to have you back JLaC. Do you really think the Bears would just cut Briggs? They may be cheap, but get nothing for him? Wow.

Posted by: skinswest | June 4, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

200 goals are hard to ignore. But how is the current Thierry built for the English game? He's never on the field. He disappears in big games. He's outrun his hammies and his groins. He's ready for a victory lap in Italy. Get what we can.

Posted by: SMACK | June 4, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Are the Redskins showing any interest in grabbing Paul Oliver CB Georgia in the supplementary draft?

I think he'd be a great acquisition using the 2008 2nd round pick. The pick, currently in the top 6 of the round, will hopefully be worth a lot less in April of 2008. Oliver is already mid to late first round talent. And he could seamlessly replace Springs in the next season or two.

Can never have too many good cornerbacks.

Posted by: JPSobel | June 4, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Can never have too many good cornerbacks.

Posted by: JPSobel | June 4, 2007 11:24 PM

If he is truly a late first round talent I would be in favor of adding him... but its dangerous to give the danny new ways of getting rid of his draft picks early... next thing you know he will use up all of his next year's draft picks in this years supplemental draft

Posted by: Dante | June 4, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't decide whether to watch Lucinda on Leno, or Bright Eyes on Letterman tonight.

Comcast has decided I shall watch neither. Thanks, check's in the mail.

Posted by: SMACK | June 4, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

First, greatest Sopranos episode of all time last night. I doubt the finale will be as good. What a masterful show. And Cindy, this Tim Goodman guy at SF Chronicle is a genius writer...so talented. You need to bring him on board at washpost.com but I'm sure they have already tried.

Second, I saw Maria Shriver walking out of the Palm today and she is absolutely a stunning gorgeous human creature in person. I was entranced. We caught eyes. Whammy.

Third, the scene from The 40 Year-old Virgin when the black guy asks the black salesman "for the extended warranty for the price of...ooohhhh on the house" could be one of my 10 favorite comedy scenes of all time. I have seen this movie 46 times but for some reason I just started thinking about how great that scene was.

Fourth, we need to get Darwin Walker who was just sent back from the Bills. He's a DE that can play tackle. He also murders the Redskins and is a member of the All-Jared Allen Team along with Jeremiah Trotter, Sam Rayburn, Corey Simon, Hugh Douglas, Travis Henry, and Sebastian Janikowski.

Posted by: The Governor | June 4, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Jason, good to hear your voice... or whatever the analogue would be.

a little side note first -- thanks to all of you who contributed in thought, word, or deed to my family's diabetes walk yesterday. We all got a little wet, but we had a great time watching a bunch of inspiring kids (can you imagine being a 6/7/8 year old and giving a two-to-three minute speech to 2000 people?) and the people that surround them.
I'll have some pictures up on the website soon.
What was that URL again, you ask?
Why, that would be Click Right Here .

And now, we return you to another edition of "How a 260-lb. defensive end and a 165-lb. Empty Suit are the keys to the Redskin's return to respectability"

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 5, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

SMACK, thanks for the tip. I'll let you know which one was must-see-tv.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 5, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,

WHat about the tallish WR that the Skins signed. Another 49er cast off UGG.

What is his deal? Another Zach Hilton thing? Another Lloyd?

What were the Braintrust thinking. I know he is tall...but....

Posted by: DTC | June 5, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

It's great flying under the radar!

Posted by: The Crickets | June 5, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe that Paris Hilton is acting mature and adult. But she is. Shocking.

How is Cooley's hair doing? We can never have enough Cooley news.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 5, 2007 12:55 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy,

Its probably cause she is sitting in her cell counting the millions she is going to make off of a book deal and reality tv show recounting her time in the slammer.

Posted by: Dante | June 5, 2007 2:03 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy,

Posted by: Dante | June 5, 2007 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell's continuing education.

Posted by: The Crickets | June 5, 2007 3:32 AM | Report abuse

OTA pictures - #21 gives a Cooley hair update.

Posted by: The Crickets | June 5, 2007 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Update on Redskins in Europa, including the future #3 QB, Casey Bramlet.

Posted by: The Crickets | June 5, 2007 3:43 AM | Report abuse

Spotlight story on Nate's favorite Redskin!

Posted by: The Crickets | June 5, 2007 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Hail to Red Snapper!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 4:18 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins have made re-signing tight end Chris Cooley an offseason priority

Finally they are doing the smart thing. Sign players before they hit the market.

Posted by: jm220 | June 5, 2007 5:25 AM | Report abuse

With the way Danny Boy's Six Flags stock and radio stations are doing - that is, failing - .

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 4, 2007 10:59 PM

Jason,

Six Flags is "failing"? How do you get that? The stock is up 13% this year. It was $5.71 on January 1 and was $6.48 yesterday. Besides, that stock was as low as $4.00 before Snyder gained control of the company, and when he bought most of his shares. He's sitting on a handsome gain on his Six Flags investment.

Turning around Six Flags is a tough act. It's going to take a long time to get the buzz back, but he's moving it in the right direction. If nothing else, it has valuable real estate that could be liquidated for a huge profit.

Look, everyone concedes that the guy knows how to make money, and you may want to put some of Rocco's college money into Six Flags stock. Why not let "the Danny" work his financial wizardry for you? He can make you enough so that you can take your vacation in Italy instead of Cooperstown!

Posted by: KK | June 5, 2007 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Redskins moving to LA? Could happen! You bubbas need to start reading something besides sports blogs and the worse sports section in the world the WP's.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 6:35 AM | Report abuse

This thread makes me feel like Lindsey Lohan after not drinking for a month in rehab and finally getting that shot of whiskey the day I got out.

Posted by: Mike4169 | June 5, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

All is right in Blogville again! Jasno LaPlaidfora has returned triumphant to save us from ourselves!

Hair o' the dog.

Posted by: Larry Bud | June 5, 2007 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Lets try to keep all Sopranos news in separate posts with the Headline "spoiler' or something. Cause I missed it the last two nights and have to watch it, and I was ruined up here on the Christopher killing.

Sounds like it was a good one though.

Posted by: Zebra | June 5, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

When Jasno wrote "This Should Hold You Over", he meant "... until tomorrow morning", right?

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 5, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Jasno: You don't like U2 post "Boy", their first album? That's kind of like saying you haven't liked Brett Favre since So. Miss ...

Posted by: Achtung Baby | June 5, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Great news that McIntosh is healthy and performing well in OTA's. Let's hope he doesn't build up liquid in that knee again this year.

Bramlett sounds like an EXCELLENT 3rd string QB, much better than collins.

Posted by: Max | June 5, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Bramlett sounds like an EXCELLENT 3rd string QB, much better than collins.

Posted by: Max | June 5, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I think our win-loss record will depend a lot on our offensive output this year, as I expect to have at least a decent defense. The biggest disappointment for me last year was the performance of our WR's other than moss. I'd like to see any information you can gather about the improvement of the WR's and this new guy we brought in. Thanks JLC.

Posted by: Max | June 5, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Jason - What's the real deal with Portis' tendonitis? I get nervous whenever I hear this term thrown around as nothing to worry about....remember Jesse Armstead's tendonitis a couple years back? All we heard was that it was nothing to worry about all pre-seaseon, and he never played a down for us. Cost us quite a bit of cap space if I remeber correctly.....

Posted by: Dan | June 5, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

The Govenor makes a GREAT point above about getting Darwin Walker. He's most likely going back to the Eagles because Buffalo spend 1 Trillion dollars on Guards and cannot afford him as well. He'd be a nice pickup, I think. He's a pass rushing threat from the interior.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 5, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, I'll be able to post this without it repeating 8 times. :-)

For those of you near a radio or who can get the station online, Darryl Green is going to be on Sportstalk 980 w/ Doc Walker in a few minutes. Maybe we'll hear if he ever worked with Movimiento Doble Rogers.

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Sucked. No significant football talk, no Skins.

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Besides Addley, the Skin's also signed about seven additional "no-names" (no prior NFL experience). I think our WR group as a whole is extremely talented; however I thought the same thing in '06.
I believe (last year) the new guys, such as Randle El and Lloyd, were not yet comfortable with the arrangement of their position and depth of Saunders' playbook. Sure Antwaan had some stand out plays, but not quite as much as an athlete of his stature expects. Brandon seemed as if he had alot of growning up to do, seen from his minor verbal conflicts with the coaching staff. In reality, besides Moss, James Thrash was my favorite reciever last season.
This year, we have to believe vets like Moss and Randle El will have gained a substantial amount of knowledge on "The Saunders' Playbook", and have found their place in the "new" Redskins offense. We can always depend on Santana to come up big when it matters, and if Lloyd can step-up this year and play to highest potential, Jason Campbell shouldn't have a hard time finding the open man. (His first full-year as a starter)
In all, we're lookin' at:
1.Santana Moss
2.Antwaan Randle El
3.James Thrash
4.Brandon Lloyd
5.and believe it or not...
Mike Espy

Those are our weapons. Redskins-fan or not, this is a very intriuging line-up.
Expect Campbell to find the target early and often; and if everyone's covered, he'll gain some yards with his legs. I don't see the Redskins having one particular stand-out this season (such as Moss in prior seasons), but this is what I believe will make their offense dangerous.
Ladell Betts will highly contribute to their success on the ground. And Sellers can be a valuable Red-Zone asset. Let's hope the O-line didn't get any worse over the offseason.
If the whole team, every position from quarterback to punter, plays to par, look for the Redskins to be a high-contender for the NFC East Championship.

Posted by: Brandon, D.C. | June 5, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Flag on the Play;

5 yard penalty on Brandon,D.C. for looking through Burgundy colored glasses.

Any team, if each position plays up to par, would be a serious contender. But in the real world people play below expectation, get injured, some step up, some get arrested, some get cut, some get benched because of a personal vendetta.

To me it is about minimizing mistakes, and CAPITALIZING on opportunities.

I am sick of getting into the red zone and not coming aways with a TD (Gibbs 1.0 was killer at this. Gerald Riggs anyone?). I am sick of not making turnovers or sacks. I am sick of relying on an unreliable kicker.

I am sick of us turning the ball over, getting sacked, throwing the ball away when the times get tough.

Our Defense needs to get back to great reward, great risk football. We played bend but dont break D last year. And we bent all the way to the endzone.

Sure we give up TD's if we blitz all the time. But at least the opponents drives are shorter, instead of the demoralizing long 15 play drives that keeps our offense on the side line.

It also Gives the Offense more plays, or incase of a turnover, a shorter field. You want Moss and Portis to have as many opportunities to break a play.

Posted by: Zebra | June 5, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Upon further review, there was no foul on the play.

Brandon's original point about the wide receivers was spot on. We had the recipe for disaster going into last season: new O coordinator, new #2 and #3 WRs, and a strugg-a-licious QB. At that one position there are solid reasons and mounting evidence that we should expect better things from the wideouts this fall.

Actually, I'm not sure why Zebra threw the flag on that one. Shaking my head up here in the booth.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Zebra is a little sick, Nate. Rest up, get well, my striped friend; we will need you for the regular season.

Say, are you that zebra from that movie where the zebra wins the horse race?

Oh, and be careful about the sick thing -- I think sicwidit has the franchise tag on that right now. There may be some royalties involved.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 5, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The flag was thrown on Brandons last statement of "if ever player plays up to par, then we we will have a good year..".

I guess I shouldnt throw the flag on the whole statement, just that one which struck me as being akin to telling us the sky is blue or the earth is round. And that no team has every position play up to par.

Referee Timeout

Posted by: Zebra | June 5, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Zebra huddle... let's hug it out.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

A Little Bit of Redskins News

Asante Samuel told the Boston Globe he's so disgrunted at being slapped with the franchise tag that he is going to skip minicamp, training camp and "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."
Now, athletes say stuff like this all the time and don't mean it. But you have to admit that you'd love it in Week 8 if it were true.

Posted by: Cindy | June 5, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, you mean when Randy Moss is playing both ways, helping out by doubling as a corner in their nickel package? Yeah, both as a challenge to our offense and as further evidence of Bellicheck's Genius, that will be awesome.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

June 5 is not the time for such pessimism, Nate. Oh, wait. Pessimism is a 24/365 thing. I forgot.

Posted by: Cindy | June 5, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jasno, talk to us about players and playing hurt vs injured. With Brunell showing improvement after labrum surgery, it seems obvious that for the second time out of his three seasons he played injured, which cost the team, again, big time. Playing injured doesn't help anybody. It's deceptive and self centered. So my question goes to how the players feel about any new concussion policy the NFL may generate. What is the general response to a protective concussion policy?

Posted by: Neil in Durango | June 5, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Samuel being on the field won't make a difference in week 8. The Pats have the best corps of receivers in football, the 2nd best quarterback is throwing to them, and Bill Belicheck can outcoach old joe any day of the week. I'm sorry but barring a ton of injuries to the Pats or a fluke where we just get lucky, there's no way we win that game.

Posted by: talk show host | June 5, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talk show host | June 5, 2007 11:50 AM

Boy, such optimism! ...But I (hate to) have to agree with you. You don't hear that much about the Pats, but they're always right up there, winning their division (the last 4 seasons) and making a run in the playoffs.

Maybe folks just take them for granted. Or maybe people are sick of hearing about them. I know I am. I used to like Brady, but then I got so sick of hearing about him (and hearing him whining about being underrated)...

Posted by: Starbuck | June 5, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Smack, I meant Henry in his prime. True, he seems to be breaking down now, but man did he hold up over time in that rugged league. The pace and direct nature of the English game suited him well, especially so when he had someone like Bergkamp to play with back to goal, collect the ball, flick on for him, etc.

I agree it may be victory lap time and time to sell, but when healthy that man has been a club-team striker as there is. (I thought he kind of put the big-game thing to rest a bit in their run to Champs. Lg. final but I have been as hard on him as anyone for the clutch stuff and rode him hard last summer at the World Cup, too, when I was not overly impressed watching up close (he was also dog tired).

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 5, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

like to add my "welcome back" to Jasno, plaid shorts and all. and for the record, i believe a quick check will show that it was Cindy's typo and not Nate's.
if i'm wrong, which i am quite often, i know the RI hamsters will be quick to point it out , complete with linkage to the source.

Posted by: flipthatswitch | June 5, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

quick thought re: brunell and the deep ball.

santana moss, twice, in Dallas, late in the game. one for the ages.

moss, again, sandwiched between two Jaguar defenders, in overtime.

realizing these are the exceptions to the rule, i remain eternally grateful for the "victory from the jaws of defeat" feat in Dallas. on national TV. Hail!!

Posted by: flipthatswitch | June 5, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

i'm a realist, not an optomist. obviously i hope the skins to really really good this year. however, if we're not going to make the playoffs, i would rather us do horrible so gibbs finally realizes he doesnt have "it" anymore and retires. then we can enter the cow-herder/bellycheck sweepstakes. IMO its pretty much a given that dallas will get one of them and we will get the other.

Posted by: talk show host | June 5, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

OK,OK

*hugs* to all

JLC - can you find out the Defense's plans to tweak their tactics with Landry coming - in other words still cover 2 or cover 1, etc.?

I would like to know who is the strongest redskin - can bench, squat, etc. the most weight, who is the fastest skin in the 10 and 40 yard dashes, who has the best vertical, etc.

*hugs* to all.

Posted by: SallyMae | June 5, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Thanks for all of the inside information. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | June 5, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Portis has reached the Steven Davis stage of things ... too many injuries. My guess is that Betts starts this season.

I think if Palmer pans out Gibbs will keep them both. Bramlet and Palmer. Brunell just had surgery on his throwing shoulder. He really can't be relied on to do more than spot duty at this point given his age and history of injuries.

Posted by: periculum | June 5, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

SPRINGS FOR SAMUELS!

SPRINGS FOR SAMUELS!

SPRINGS FOR SAMUELS!...

Come on...Sing with me!

Posted by: Brandon, D.C. | June 6, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Or is it "Samuel"?...

Same S***...

Posted by: Brandon, D.C, | June 6, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

brunell did not through a deep ball in either of the two plays you are talking about. 20 or so yards in OT against JAX, and 40 ish on the 4th down play (1st td).

the second was over 50 in the air, but none of these were even scary to other teams we played following those games.

thanks mark, goodbye mark.

and betts starting the season!?! rediculous. portis will change games with the holes the oline created for betts (the other teams were letting him go for 150+ and we still could win). ask yourself this, if portis goes for 150+ in a game, do we lose that game? happened 2x for betts.

Posted by: snake | June 6, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

love that your back now. I feel it would be nice in someway though if you could adress what the redskins needed and still need to do improve the defensive line

Posted by: Eric | June 14, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse