This time, Suisham's kick is good

The kick would otherwise be considered inconsequential - a 23-yard field goal well into the fourth quarter of a game that the Dallas Cowboys already controlled. But Shaun Suisham's field goal with 7:44 remaining in the game to seal the Cowboys' 17-0 win over the Washington Redskins on Sunday night carried particular significance.

The kick was from the same exact location as the attempt that essentially cost Suisham his job with the Redskins in a Dec. 6 loss to the New Orleans Saints. Same distance. Same side of the field. Same hash mark. This time, Suisham's kick sailed through the uprights.

Against the Saints, Suisham missed a field goal that would have given the Redskins a 10-point lead with 1:56 remaining. He shanked the field goal wide right, and the Saints returned to score and win the game in overtime.

Two days later, Suisham was released. Never mind that he was 17 of 21 on field goal attempts this season and the most accurate kicker in franchise history.

"No, I missed a field goal," Suisham said from the visitors' locker room at FedEx Field when asked whether Sunday's kick provided redemption. "I put myself in that position, I guess, vulnerable. Certainly, a surprise to me. But now it's about the Dallas Cowboys, and working toward the playoffs."

The 23-yarder was Suisham's first attempt with the Cowboys, and his only field goal. Dallas attempted two 4th-and-1 opportunities within Washington's 40-yard line instead of sending Suisham onto his former field.

By the time he finally received an attempt in the fourth quarter, Suisham took the field to a chorus of boos. He said he was not affected by the magnitude of the game - "You still got to make the kicks, regardless," Suisham said - and remained soft-spoken after the win despite his newfound attention. Less than one month after the Redskins sent Suisham packing, he's the starting kicker for a playoff team while the Redskins await an offseason of upheaval.

"Being out of work is no fun," Suisham said, before acknowledging what is fun. "Coming back with the Dallas Cowboys, and now headed to the playoffs."

By Zach Berman  |  December 28, 2009; 10:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: What's the biggest distraction?
Next: Mike Williams out; Doughty will try to play

Comments

Here we go with the bama sh_t...

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

F Suisham...

repost:

matty you make some valid points.....but I heartily laugh at any mofo that comes up here and defends anything about the Redskins org at this point in the season after they game/season/offseason/last two years they have had.

siht is rotten from the top down, core out..they all suck owner/coaches/player....

but Vinny is gone, some respected football people are coming...can only look to the future really...

but enough 600 word defenses of the indefensible.

Posted by: chrislarry

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

you were right jason R!!! suisham really put a hurtin on the skins. wow! that PAT i mean 23 yard FG was a thing of beauty!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait until he blows a playoff game for the Cowboys. It will be Epic. It will be worth losing to the Saints.

Posted by: REXskins | December 28, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

How about SwishHam's first extra point attempt! From the 10 yd line, center of the field. And it barely squeaked inside the right upright. He almost shanked an extra point attempt. And it looked just like the one he missed against NO. If he had been at the hash mark, he would have missed it! Why no reporting on that kick?

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Is Zach Berman a pseudonym for Jason Reid? Can the bloggers not let go of the obsession with Suisham? Suisham sucked. Chip Lohmiller was the last decent kicker the Redskins have had. Enough with the Suisham crap. Please.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | December 28, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

7 more days of this...speculaaaaaatiiiiing...can't wait...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

7 more days of this...speculaaaaaatiiiiing...can't wait...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Really don't get the hyped up love for the following guys:

Shaun Suisham
Jim Zorn
Rock Cartwright

I mean, who are these guys to the Washington Post? Why are they always portrayed as a scorned lover?

It's sickening to read this crap!

The Washington Post treats these bastards like they're the f_cking wise men bearing gifts for little baby Jesus.

It's getting past annoying at this point.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

btw...how do you guys know zorn is a nice guy? everyone up here keeps saying that as if they know him personally when all they've seen is his stupidity on display and nothing else starting with "maroon and black" and z-shades...and "4-13" last night...

i know it wasn't his fault that he got hired but i would just love it if he(zorn) was fired right after the game and wasn't allowed to come back on the team plane. that would be CLASSIC!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

When I saw Suisham make that kick, I thought to myself "I bet Reid is just loving that. Can't wait to read his post about it." Thanks for being perdictable.

Posted by: NCICURN | December 28, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

So is Shanahan considered a p"players coach" or a disciplinarian. This team needs someone that sets a high level of accountability as a whole. In particular with regards to the new secondary coach, that person must get better tackling and discipline from that unit.

I don't see Cincy letting Zimmer go,but if the Panthers fire John Fox, I'd like to see Shanahan grab him up for DC.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Now this team is as pitiful as ever, I really do not care about What Suisham said or did last night. I mean everyone got to survive, right? He costed us two games, ok. but does that matter? To see the same group of coaches and players put the most lifeless game in front of national audience, I mean they deserve no "could should would". I now can not wait to see 75% of them gone next week. FIRE THEM!

Posted by: wydaaa | December 28, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

red, to answer your question it's because they're the only ones that give the wapo beat reporters the time of day. for the love of god man suisham texted him!!!! that's gotta get you atleast 3 blog posts.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

anyone get any cool stuff for Christmas??

For all the WII owners, the kids got the new Super Mario Bros. game, which they've not stopped playing for quite some time......

What about Ron Rivera for HC??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

shanny as the OC, headcoach, john fox as the DC wow that would be cool. and when shanny retires from being the HC after a couple of SB rings with the skins john fox can just step right in as the HC. PERFECT!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

F Suisham...

repost:

but enough 600 word defenses of the indefensible.

Posted by: chrislarry

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you there, chrislarry...

Oh, well. New coaching staff / Draft Talk commences in 7 days...

Posted by: mattylight | December 28, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Really don't get the hyped up love for the following guys:

Shaun Suisham
Jim Zorn
Rock Cartwright

It's sickening to read this crap!

It's getting past annoying at this point.

Posted by: RedDMV

Shaun Suisham and Rock Cartwright are great players and good guys. The locker room won't be the same without them.

Sincerely,
Leigh Torrence

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 28, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it is just me but I think when people blame the losing season on injuries we are giving the FO a pass on their poor job. Sometimes injuries are the reason but of our "key players" the only shock was Cooley.

Posted by: NFeKPo | December 28, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I've heard that he is a disciplinarian, a strong task-master.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It's getting past annoying at this point.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 10:42 AM |

HAHA no kidding.

Greg...Super Mario Bros is a ton of fun, especially playing all 4 people at once.

I got the Weber Performer Grill for XMAS and a new car I bought myself, I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I read on PFT about Mike Zimmer being on the short list for DC if Shanny is here...I'd be OK with that.

Posted by: mattylight | December 28, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It doesnt seem like Riviera has done too well in Chicago.

I like:

Cowher
Grimm
Fox if fired
Gruden - last choice

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

JC may or may not be the one who is capable of taking this team to the playoffs. At this point, we have no idea.

I do know this: When VC got run, JZ re-assumed playcalling, and the Redskins some how INSTANTLY regressed to short crossing, bubble screen throwing, no blitz protection from empty backfield ugliness.

The new coaching staff will get a player who is not afraid to stand in and take an azz beating and who will follow the play calls and the direction from the staff without punching them in the face on the sideline even if they deserve it for the way they ineptly prepare the team and call the game.

Kind of a run on sentence there, but you get the point: JC is good enough to be a bridge to the new version of the Redskins.

Its not just the Oline, its not just the lack of a big running game, its not just the play calling and totally lame coaching. Put them all together, and you get, well, the Redskins. They suck.

At this point, anything will be better than JZ's abortion.

ps Did you swallow JR, or just kinda humm for a while to get him all prepped?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Zimmer is good as a DC, I just hope he doesnt bring Bates with him, he seems as if he has fizzled out the past couple of places he has been after Denver.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse
Oops, my 10:54 response was intended for TWISI.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

i got nothing. just stuff for kids...clothes. though i'm looking for thermal pants. never had em...but north face summit series jacket keeps the upper body warm and makes the lower body feel that much colder

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"What about Ron Rivera for HC?"

I'd like to see interviews with the following coaches:

Ron Rivera

Jason Garrett

Kevin Gilbride

Marty Morningweig

Brian Schottenheimer

Ron Meeks

Bruce Arians

Russ Grimm

Jerry Gray

I'd hire an offensive minded coach, and draft to fit whatever scheme he wants to employ.

And btw: maybe pressing the "F!ck it, release them!" button is order on the offensive side of the ball.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"...Snyder heard Collinsworth say bringing in Haynesworth and not bringing in O-line help was a gamble that 'came up snake eyes'..."

Some of us posted to this effect last winter.

We were even consistent on draft day when the hope was that the team would take either Micheal Oher or Phil Loadholdt to play right tackle with the 13th pick.

Oh well......

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 10:40 AM |

All the AH signing did was eat up cap space like AH does with a meal at Poppy's. What happened with the draft is totally independent, although you could argue having signed him it was foolish to use the top pick on the D as well. I think if Monroe or Smith were available the Skinz would have chosen either of them. Which brings us to another point which is that the Rams having snatched Smith last yr will not be in the hunt for Okung this yr so mebbe the Skinz have a chance of snagging the dude. With Cleve and TB winning the Skinz could be looking at picking 3, behind Det and StL. It would be just our luck that they would pick Okung and Suh.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

My kids got the new Super Mario Bros. it's a great game.

I got a bunch of UA gear including a pair of there shoues they are very comfortable.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

jcabana, we're not saying their gospel, but rather that JC is who we thought he was....have you seen progress to the point where you're happy and set at the QB position??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps you missed this part of my last post:

I'm not opposed to bring in young signal-callers with potential. For instance, I'd like to see the 'Skins go after the Steelers' 3rd-string rookie QB out of Oregon if he's available for cheap. That's so they have a backup plan(s) if JC is too shell-shocked to be relied on. Ever notice how ALL the Steelers' backups always seem capable of winning games?

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Really don't get the hyped up love for the following guys:

Shaun Suisham
Jim Zorn
Rock Cartwright

It's sickening to read this crap!

It's getting past annoying at this point.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Add Campbell to that list please. His game last night was abysmal. He was ridiculously inaccurate. The INT was his fault, he had a bubble screen to Moss that he couldn't even put on his body (missed him high and right) which that is back up two steps and hit a stationary target, he threw what would have been a 15 yard gain to Kelly 7 yards out of bounds and Kelly still caught, on one swing pass he missed Cartwright so badly Rock just threw his hands in the air, Moss had to make to circus catches and he had a similar reaction as Rock to one of JC's overthrows that didn't even stay in bounds, and to cap it all off on 4th and 11 he threw it away. He was terrible last night. But because the oline is awful he gets a pass like he's some kind of warrior or saint or something because he stays in there. I admit he's tough, but a lot of those hits are on him because he sucks at pre-snap reads. The Scandrick hit was 100% his fault, the corner was obviously blitzing, he has to get rid of the ball! I was watching the Indy vs. Jets game, at one point the Jets blitzed 8 guys, they had 2 guys coming free and Manning got the ball away to Clark in 2 seconds for a 15 yard gain. It wasn't anything special, read the blitz, get rid of the ball. After 5 seasons Campbell still doesn't do that. At least Colinsworth (not a local lover of JC) had the nerve to say it on national TV. I also was thankful he called out the defensive coaches for playing our safeties and corners 30 yards off of the line of scrimmage!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"I got the Weber Performer Grill for XMAS and a new car I bought myself"

Merry Christmas to you......what kind of car?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Shanahan takes crap from anyone in the locker room. His DEN teams were pretty well disciplined.

04 - 07 his teams ranked 6th, 1st, 4th and 10th in offensive penalty yards.

Guys like CP got traded, and he kept guys like Champ Bailey, John Lynch, etc.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I disagree, Snyder has had no success with offensive minded head coaches. We need a Defensive head coach, they would provide stability IMHO.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

It doesnt seem like Riviera has done too well in Chicago.

I like:

Cowher
Grimm
Fox if fired
Gruden - last choice

Posted by: mhartz1

Riviera has been in San Diego for a few years. 7 more days until the latest new regime enters Ashburn.

Posted by: dcwun | December 28, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

So, do you think Zorn's got his stuff in his office already in a box or was he smart enough to never put anything up on the wall to begin with?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Wow, it sure looked like the play-calling went back to the beginning of the season. But I did not hear it reported that JZ was making the calls for the last 2 weeks. Is this just supposition, Kaneohe, or did you actually hear that JZ was calling plays again?

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

People, Shanahan is a done deal...forget those other coaches...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The reason for Fox or Zimmer as DC would be to keep the 4-3 in place. If it's true that Shanny wants to run the 3-4 here in DC, then who are the top DC in that style that may be available this offseason? Also, the switch to the 3-4 would mean the skins will be looking for a nose tackle (or 2) and LBs as well as OLmencome FA and the draft.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

My biggest concern about JC was Chris Collingsworth talking about how he struggled with reading basic defensive cues. It all starts with decision making & no amount of physical skill &or toughness can overcome that.

Now if a new coach can mitigate that & allow Jason's strengths to used adequately then maybe there could be hope.

Posted by: will_ga | December 28, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I got the Weber Performer Grill for XMAS and a new car I bought myself"

Merry Christmas to you......what kind of car?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:00 AM

Maserati Quattroporte 2009, took my wife's boxster in for service and the guy told me they had one that they needed to replace to bumper on, since a service guy scratched it on a machine, got the car with 2200 miles on it for $25K off the price, pretty excited.

Lucked out.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"he called out the defensive coaches for playing our safeties and corners 30 yards off of the line of scrimmage"

agreed can't wait till Blache is gone....so sick of his 'scheme'....I want a guy in here who is gonna just attack the offense...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I watched him calling the plays on sideline cut shots of him last night.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone say OSI?

If theres no cap, why not?

Seems like hes done in NY.

Osi, Haynes, and Rak in the front 4? Yikes.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Jesus, I did not realize Riviera was in San Diego, awesome, way to keep up, lol.

I wonder if Bruce Allen has let Zorn call the plays the last 3 games just to see what he brings to the table.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

mhartz, must be nice, tell us more about how the 'other' half lives....haha...good for you..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg
===================

new SMB is a great game. I was actually able to get my wife to play, and she normally only plays popcap type games like snood. It's a great family game, provides a challenge to gamers yet is forgiving for newbies. Also downloaded Tetris party for wii, which with 4 players is a lot of fun.

I bought myself Borderlands (for PC). It's on sale on steam for 33. Merry X-mas!

Posted by: REXskins | December 28, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Week 16 Morning Aftermath: Haynesworth must go

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2009 10:45 AM ET

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder seems to be serious about making a dramatic change to the manner in which the franchise he has owned for more than a decade is managed.

Gone is long-time Snyder confidant Vinny Cerrato, and Snyder seems to be willing to keep his ladle out of the soup moving forward. (Then again, Snyder tried that approach in 2001 -- and it lasted for a year.)

But Snyder needs to make one more change in order to properly break from his fantasy-football mindset of seasons past.

He needs to get rid of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

More accurately, G.M. Bruce Allen needs to make the decision to get rid of Haynesworth, and Snyder needs to let Allen implement it.

Haynesworth is far more trouble than he's worth, as Haynesworth's recent actions have demonstrated. Sure, he's talented. But he's a divisive personality who can't deal with adversity and can't stay healthy and the Redskins never should have signed him.

Making the move easier in 2010 will be the absence of the salary cap. With no cap, there will be no cap consequences, allowing the Redskins to dump Haynesworth and move on.

So put him on the trading block. Someone else will think they can get through to him, even though in reality not even Vince Lombardi could get this guy to give his all on every snap.

The only argument in favor of keeping Haynesworth around is that they have given him $40 million in guaranteed money and he has the potential to be dominant. Still, if the goal is to win a Super Bowl, Haynesworth is likely to do more harm than good in that regard -- especially if the team encounters any adversity in 2010.

Posted by: mattylight | December 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:09 AM

Zorn brought a to-go bag.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Or to erase any doubt that he should be brought back...

Posted by: mattylight | December 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

JReid: congratulations on somehow finding a way to use a 23-yard field goal to give props to a former Redskin whose overall numbers masked his mediocrity.

At least you maintained enough balance to point out that the Cowboys went for it twice on 4th down rather than expose Suisham's limited range.

But this whole line of posting is getting old fast. Calling Suisham "the most accurate kicker in team history" is like saying the Redskins have "the 4th-ranked pass defense in the NFL" or "the 9th-ranked overall defense in the NFL."

According to antiquated NFL stats, those statements about the Redskins' D are true. However, those of us who actually watch the games know this is deceiving. The Redskins' D can never stop a team when they have to, never generates a consistent pass rush on third down, gives up big plays at inopportune times in the secondary, and wilts in the 4th quarter (perhaps due to fatigue from the lack of offense). Perhaps this is why Football Outsiders' DVOA ranks the Redskins as the 22nd-best D in the league, and ranks the team's pass D near the bottom of the NFL.

Heck, what am I saying? Feel free to keep putting forth your misleading, biased Suisham arguments. But realize that your posts on this subject seem ridiculous to those of us who watched Suisham's limp-legged act wreck the team's field position by booting short kickoff after short kickoff, and remain totally unreliable either in the clutch or from long distances.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Greg, I too can not wait for Blache to be gone...I saw a couple of plays where Fletcher was like 12 yeards deep, WTF...

Once again, a team saw what we brought to the game, changed their plan and continued to adapt to what they showed them on D. We never adapt to any game, makes no sense.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad for Suishan.. the guy was having a great year then Dallas.. missing a 50 yarder which many FG kickers would have missed and the kick just before halftime. But that was a strange kick because it came after a very long booth review.. causing Suisham a long wait.I was also not a chip shot and his first miss this season. Only the kick vs the Saints did he really mess up.. well he is human.. guys drop passes and how many mistakes did Landry make that game. Firing him was just an attempt to make him the scapegoat for a lot of guys who screwed up.. I'm glad he ended up with another team and got another chance.. good for him..

Posted by: sovine08 | December 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

i know that press doesn't want shanny. he's very bellichoke/parcells like. nobody on his staff talks without his permission.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

He always worked for Dallas. Always hated that schmuck.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

PFT is just stupid to write that, makes no sense...no one is trading for AH, so forget that right away, and what needs to happen is AH needs to drop about 15 pounds, and get in shape, which I'm sure the new coach will go over...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I watched him calling the plays on sideline cut shots of him last night.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse
Interesting. He probably only started last night, tho. They already had gameplan in place last week when BA was announced.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Greg, you asked me what kind of car. Trust me, I would never have paid full price for that car. I also dont have kids, so no extra bills, such as many of you up here.

On a side note, my mother played Wii Bowling with all of us for Xmas and threw the remote at my niece and knocked her out, felt awful, but god it was hilarious...

Tetris for 4 sounds awesome.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

btw...most of you out of towners didn't listen to TK's show for george michael but snyder was on and he said if they win against the cowboys they were going to give the gameball to george michael's widow, pat.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Thats why I can't stand the tampa 2 the MLB is completely misused IMHO.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:04 AM |

After the Skinz get mauled by SD Z can chug up 5 to Cattle. Ain't no reason to return to DC. When he gets to Cattle:

Z to Walrus man: Hi Mike, it,s me, Z.

Walrus man: Dood! My Cleve QB coach. Need to put a shine on them turds Quinn and Andy!

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

in terms of video games, addicted to Super Mario Bros, but also DJ Hero - that game is a lot of fun too.

I still get a helluva a good time after a J and playing MarioKart...

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I agree with this. Our D is far better off then our O. Maxamize the better parts of your team while building up the weaker parts.
I also would love to see a 3-4 scheme here. A Hay and Osackpo equal two very important cogs of a 3-4. Blache needs to go with all quickness, his act got old really quick.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"I also would love to see a 3-4 scheme here. A Hay and Osackpo equal two very important cogs of a 3-4"

They don't have the DE's to pull this off...3-4 DE's are normally in the 290-300 pound range, and need to be able to hold the point, and tie up blockers so the LB's can clean stuff up........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Freidfritz, he called the Ginas game, too.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

After a J, I have a good time staring at my wall...hahahaha

I got the new Wii Sports Resort bit haven't played it yet.

I got a mangroomer! Ha a hint much!

They are not getting rid of AH. Was he s dumb signing....of course, we all knew that...but dude is here, can help a ton....and guess what he was right about Blache's defense.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I am happy for Suisham. Hope he does well. He is held accountable but ARE or Landry are not?? If Suisham's stats were comparable to those other 2 clowns he would be about 6 for 20 on FG attempts. Why is Landry a FS and why is ARE an NFL player?

Posted by: scoot21 | December 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Florio doesn't know anything about AH or what he's like in the locker room.

I do agree that if there's an uncapped year in 2010 there are likely to be a LOT of trades.

Since you can trade a guy without the cap hit, another team can get someone like AH for his contract salary. That's probably less than they'd have to pay them as a FA, hence the incentive to trade rather than wait for a team to cut a high-priced guy. The cap year is an opportunity for small-market teams to pick up top talent at a discount. The ones that come to mind are DET, CLE, STL, KC, TB, SF. All have the draft position and are small market.

Even other small market teams will be players: IND, ARI, GB, MIN, CAR all have low revenue base compared to WAS, NYG, PHI. CAR has 30K fewer seats than FedEx, for example.

If Allen decides to blow up the team, he could get a lot of draft choices for guys like AH, Hall, and Landry. On the offensive side of the ball, pickings are a lot slimmer. I like Cooley, however the reality is that
1) there are a lot of good TE in football, and
2) a good TE doesn't help you that much.

The interesting thing for Allen is now figuring out who is the best trade bait on the Redskins, and what he wants for them.

Or will teams wait for free agency to sign players?

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Bean - what about adding Osi to the 4-3?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Greg

Not sure I want a 3-4 scheme either...I am hoping that we keep the 4-3 and move Orakpo to DE full time. Draft or sign a FA LB, we are going to need to refill the LB position here soon.

I do love how mean Fletcher has been playing at the end of the season, his hits seems much harder than before.

We are getting murdered by TE s lately...

Carter looked like nothing last night, same with Orakpo, AH had a pretty good game, Landry was Landry and Hall sucked.

I feel too that everyone in this league knows our snap counts, I have never seen DL run through at such perfect times to blow up the QB and every thing else...

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Jones hesitant to change head coach
Comment Email Print Share
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com

LANDOVER, Md. -- Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones hasn't made a commitment to Wade Phillips past this season but is strongly leaning toward retaining his head coach.

"I do not want to make a coaching change," Jones said after the Cowboys clinched a playoff berth with a 17-0 victory Sunday over the Washington Redskins. "This is not the time with what we've got in place, with our personnel, with what we've got going with our schemes, with what we've got going with our staff. It's not in the best interests of the Cowboys right now to make a change."

Phillips' contract expires at the end of the season, but the team has the option to bring him back in 2010. Jones has said he'll make a decision regarding Phillips' future after the season is over, and the way the Cowboys finish will weigh strongly in the owner's mind.

The Cowboys have bounced back from their only two-game losing streak of the season with back-to-back wins to keep them in contention for the NFC East title. Phillips' defense held the New Orleans Saints' top-ranked offense to 17 points last week and posted Dallas' first shutout since 2003 against the Redskins.

"I don't want to take anything away from our players, but I think what you're seeing develop and evolve is 100 percent Wade Phillips," Jones said. "I know how hard he's working. When our defense is playing [well] and our team really realizes how much of him is involved in the defense, then it does give him huge credibility."

Phillips has a 32-16 record with the Cowboys, winning more games since the start of the 2007 season than any coach other than New England's Bill Belichick. However, he has been criticized for being too soft on his team and for the Cowboys' failures down the stretch the last two seasons.

That criticism intensified when Dallas opened December with consecutive losses. Several Cowboys, including captains Tony Romo and Jason Witten, said that Phillips' even keel played a major role in the team's response the last two weeks.

"He kept a steady hand when outside forces try and make it seem as if your team is done or doesn't have much of a chance," Romo said. "Wade does a great job of letting the team know that's not it. His demeanor, his approach, his style has worked great for this football team. He doesn't deserve any criticism. You guys [media] need to start giving him some praise, because he's been good."

Looks like its gonna be down to Redskins and da bears for Shanny lotto.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

We definitely need to overhaul the offensive line. The Eagles this year and Steelers last year proved you can do it one season if you can stomach some early season hiccups. Dockery might be the only guy worth keeping.

Purge the RBs. We desperately need youth and speed there.

WR, TE, and QBs I'm good with, but I wouldn't be hurt if Moss and El don't come back. Moss thrives off the play action, and I don't think anyone has bit on that since New Orleans last year.

Defensively I'm not sure we are any better. Carter and Fletcher go down, and what do we have left? A DE playing LB and 2/3rds of a nose tackle in AH, that's what. Playing in front of two guys who can't tackle (Landry, Hall) and a guy who can't catch swine flu.

However, it seems the secondary play has inexplicably dropped off under Blache despite having the same guys, so that could be a coaching thing.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

This is what I want from new coaches:

Dudes who say "Hmmm what players do we have and what do they do well, what are their strength/weakness, how can I scheme for them to be used best?"

Not these morons who have their own "schemes" and run them no matter what players they got.

The number #1 rule of coaching, at any level, is to fit your game planning/philosophies to the strengths of your players.

The Zorn lead staff are some of the worst "My scheme or the highway" cats I have ever seen!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

On Madden, maybe. In real life, not so much...

ryp, what makes you think Osi is gonna get axed??

How about the play last night where fletch is in the middle of the D, then goes sprinting off to his left, only to have the pukes run through that hole for about 14 yards.....sigh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

What do you all see in Jason Campbell that would lead you to believe that we can win a Super Bowl with him and a rebuilt Offensive Line?

Fill in the blanks

1)_______________
2)_______________
3)_______________

I can sum it up in one sentence why he can't, but I'll wait for your response.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

CL, exactly, that article is was obviously written by somebody who doesn't follow the team. Our defensive scheme/philosophy has been crap for years. You can't tell me that Blache is doing a good job when he gets absolutely nothing from Jason Taylor and he then goes back to Miami and is productive again. Blache has a system of "lets keep it close" and that's all they do. Haynesworth and everybody up here knows with guys like Carter, AH, Orakpo, Fletcher, Landry (in the box and blitzing, not covering) and a ball hawk like Dhall this defense could be sooooo much more.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Bean - sounded like from Osi himself he thinks he might have played his last game as a Giant....

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

b-Town,

osi and ginas coaches have had major falling out....he said yesterday he had probably played last game as a giant. ugly divorce btw osi and ginas coming.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

NFL.com > League Standings confirm we are in the #5 slot right now. However, SD has nothing to play for, so I've got more money on moving down than I do moving up. Norv might spot us a pity win.

Posted by: mattsoundworld

I'd say the odds of Norv granting Snyder a pity win are minimal. Turner left DC ugly and if he doesn't hate Snyder, he must have had an aneurism after he left, wiping out memory of his firing.

Posted by: TheCork | December 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 28, 2009 11:29 AM

Is that more on Gray or Blache???

You really have to wonder what the hell happened to our DB's, you cant say that Springs was that vital?

To me, it seems like Blache came in, was talked out of retirement to get his last big payday from Daddy Snyder...

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

This time Suisham's kick was good...because it was a meaningless tack on that had no relevance to the outcome of the game.

Suishy didn't get axed b/c of his percentage. He got axed b/c of a continuing pattern to choke in the clutch.

I wonder what Reid is gonna post when Suishy misses a crunch-time kick in the playoffs.

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

cl/ryp, I was unaware of that....How old is he?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I'll reserve my thoughts of the game afterwards.

I got to meet Kost last night. He's a good dude. 4-12? Not so much (I kid!).

Those 2 dudes plus my friend were laughing me out for stuffing 4/5 bottles of beers down my pants PLUS a 2 foot long sausage in my back pocket right before going into Redskins Stadium. They thought for sure I would get stopped.

WRONG!

And Kost ended up the one being stopped!

I'm a professional guys. Don't try this without consulting me FIRST!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Why can the Redskins win a SB with JC and a good O line? Easy:

1) good deep ball
2) doesn't take risks
3) can scramble for first downs

Trent Dilfer won a SB by doing number 2. So to speak.

Doug Williams and Mark Rypien won SB by doing 1 & 2. Eli Manning won a SB by doing 1 & 2.

Crikey. JC may not be Brett Farve, but he's a decent QB and can win a SB with the right talent around him. For all Farve's talent, his propensity to take risks with the football has cost him championships.

Were you one of the guys who wanted Jay Cutler here? How's he doing this year?

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Players needed:

O.K. BRUCE, work your financial magic, and make it happen.

FA:

7th - Best available at any position
8- undrafted if available:
MATT McCRACKEN OG URichmond
TERRELL WHITEHEAD FS Norfolk State

"SKINS rule in '10 !!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Looks like its gonna be down to Redskins and da bears for Shanny lotto.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:29 AM |

If the bears were desperate enough to give up multiple draft picks to get Cut they might be desperate enough to outbid Snyder for Shanny to reunite him with Cut.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Fill in the blanks

1)_______________
2)_______________
3)_______________

I can sum it up in one sentence why he can't, but I'll wait for your response.

Posted by: rickyroge |

You CAN'T intelligently make an analysis of how he might perform behind a great Oline and with a running game because he's been severely beaten up--as was Patrick Ramsey--and whatever skills he had may be gone now.

I agree a new QB is needed, that this one doesn't fit the system, but with proper care and feeding Campbel can be a winning NFL QBl I believe.

Sorry if my analysis doesn't contain the usual hate and vitriol used to make one's point here, but it's truthful.

Posted by: TheCork | December 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

He could get draft choices for Landry.

The other 2 are gonna be hard to trade b/c of their contracts. Which teams are prepared to adjust their entire cap schemes to accomodate those contracts? Even if it is an uncapped year, I don't know which teams would be prepared to shell out that kind of $$?

Maybe Tampa Bay is still interested in AH?

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Fill in the blanks

1)_______________
2)_______________
3)_______________

I can sum it up in one sentence why he can't, but I'll wait for your response.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

1) Completion Percentage
2) QBRating
3) More TDs than INTs

Right now he's a mediocre QB on a terrible team. If he's on a great team I would expect him to be good. You can win with just a good QB.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Bean - he just turned 28 last month. Still a lot of miles on those tires. That would be a huge front 4.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

dpc2003 - I'd rather have a QB who takes risks.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

i think chris collinsworth cost jc a job next year or atleast a couple of millions...he disected the hell out of jc's game and all was bad...

Posted by: dealer1

Soup cost himself millions because he's won 35% of 51 starts, can't read a D or deliver an accurate ball on time. Maybe DC should sign Kimbo Slice to QB since he can take a pounding, can't read a D or deliver an accurate ball on time.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

dpc2003 - I'd rather have a QB who takes risks.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Tell that to the Bears fans.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If we draft a QB, we must keep JC on board for at least a year and let the kid learn and pick up, cuz with our OL the new kid will be shell shocked and suck...

BTW...do the people on this blog ever get together? Do most of the people on here work from home or at the office, getting nothing done?

Rabach needs to go soon, lets see E. Williams in the Center position and I would like to see Barnes play again before the end of the season, as well.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Looks like its gonna be down to Redskins and da bears for Shanny lotto.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:29 AM |

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The Bears cheap ownership would never outbid the Skins for Shanny's services. The Cutler play was waaaayyy out of character for the Bears.

Besides the Bears can go much cheaper and get Jeremy Bates to reunite with Cutler.

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

He could get draft choices for Landry.

p1, really?? And what pray tell would Landry garner given the lack of interceptions, and whiffs on tackles that we've seen this year??

how about if we use Landry in the position what he's good at??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Please.

Can we spend $$ some place other than our D-line.

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for responding PASkins...

Here's my one sentence.

Jason Campbell does not have the pocket awareness, quick reads, or game management skills to take the Washington Redskins to the Super Bowl.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

1) Low Int%'s
2) High completion %
3) Loyal, not a crybaby jerk.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Freidfritz, he called the Ginas game, too.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse
How stupid is that? JZ is a really decent guy, but he has never shown that he has a clue about time managemnt. Now he shows us that he is not only stupid, but stubborn too. Well, I guess we knew he was stubborn when FD and DT did not get to play until other guys were hurt.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I think Landry with a DC that cares and a better DB coach that puts him in his place. This team needs discipline when they make mistakes, not so disciplined that they cant be used properly.

I agree that Collingsworth ate JC alive last night...

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Rickyroge, JC is not gonna carry the Redskins to the SB. Then again, the Redskins are not going to the SB next year anyway, so getting a new QB doesn't really matter.

JC is a bridge to the future. I don't see JC as a guy who will LOSE the game. There are more glaring holes...right now...that must be addressed before the QB position. And shooting your wad on a QB is a mistake because then you are left with a brand new QB with the same crap surrounding him.

The Redskins need a VISION of how they are going to win the SB. Dominating Defense like Ravens of old? Uber QB who can carry the team with enough serviceable pieces around him like Colts? Organizational and coaching excellence with above avg players all pulling in the same direction like Patriots recent run?

One thing that is apparent is that besides the obvious attributes, the Redskins (overall, there are obvious exceptions) need smarter players. Best example: LL may be a physical talent, but my god is he dumb. You have to be blindingly stupid to pull some of the stunts he has pulled. He still doesn't get that the object of the defense is to get the ball carrier on the ground, and not every play presents the golden kill shot opportunity. Going back to the Patriots: Overall, they are better because their players are smarter and more professional. Of course, its no wonder what with VC bringing in players they would not be football rocket scientists.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

They are not going to sign CAMPBELL. They will let COLLINS mentor BRADFORD.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

1) Low Int%'s
2) High completion %
3) Loyal, not a crybaby jerk.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

He could get draft choices for Landry.

how about if we use Landry in the position what he's good at??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Some team out there might be willing to look at Landry and all that raw athletic talent and say "we can coach him up".

Much like those NBA teams that look at young 7-footers who haven't panned out on one team, and they think they can turn them around.

Safety is a position that the Skins are really deep at. If we are trying to recoup picks, I think Landry's the guy we trade.

Frankly, I don't think the drop off from Landry to Horton at SS is very far at all.
In fact if it weren't for Landry's draft position and we were going strictly based on play I think the 2 are even.

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Funk --

AH is due to make $3.6M in 2010 and $5.4M in 2011. So if you trade for him, the next 2 years will cost you $9M.

The signing bonus of $5M and the $21M option bonus is on the Redskin's cap. So you save $26M by trading for AH.

With the cap, there was a real disincentive to trade or release a highly paid player, since all the option/signing bonus dollars would hit the cap, leaving the trading team with lots of dead money. Guys that got traded were low-cap: i.e. backups who performed well like Matt Cassel. There are exceptions, like Cutler.

What happened was that when a contract ended, a guy like AH got paid, usually from a big market team like WAS, who could both afford the FA $$ and had cap room for him.

But without a cap, the trading team doesn't mind the money they've already spent, so they're willing to trade a guy if the price is right.

Does this make sens?

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"I wanted to puke when the TV cameras repeatedly panned out to show the Safetys 20-30 yeards deep"

mh, no kidding, I mean, to be honest what good has putting them that far back done anyway?? I hate this 'fear' of getting beat deep excuse....I mean, haven't we gotten beat deap anyway, regardless of the safeties being deep to start with....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This drafting a QB stuff is nonsense. Are any of these QB's coming out this year even better than Colt B?

Horrible O-line play and nothing that came close to resembling a running game got us that mess yesterday.

Posted by: dcwun | December 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Todd Collins and Mark Brunell don't have the physical talents that Campbell has (although Brunell had it), but here's the difference:

Both have the instincts to make your drops, make your reads and get rid of the ball. Todd Collins is NOT the answer, but he and Brunell have that pocket presence that Campbell doesn't have.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

suisham is a choker who couldn't make that field goal if the score were tied, but up by 14, sure bring it on. Skins should have cut ties with him 2 years ago. He ain't worth a damn, choke, choke, choke.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

You people defending Suisham are missing a big point: The Cowboys have room on their roster for a KO specialist. Without this, I doubt they would have taken him.

Posted by: messykat | December 28, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

DCwun...

Is JC a franchise QB....even with an O-line...a QB that will eventually win you a SB...a QB that will lead you to victory on the road in the 4th quarter in December?

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

dpc2003 - I'd rather have a QB who takes risks.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Tell that to the Bears fans.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 28, 2009 11:47 AM

Tell that to Brett Favre...

What's your point?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Please.

Can we spend $$ some place other than our D-line.

Posted by: p1funk

What does it matter when theres no cap next year? Weve got the money.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

My responses in Italics to each point

1) Low Int%'s - has 15 picks this year and has a low TD % to go along with a low Int% This is true for this season last year he averaged 2 TD's to 1 Int, I think the goal for any Game Manager style QB is to just try and stay under 1 int per game, if they are a gunner type then the goal is to have a 2-1 TD/Int ratio or better

2) High completion % - they showed the stat last night that 77% of his attempts go less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Any QB should have a high completion % when they are throwing 6 yard passes. again a fair point, but I would like to see what that stat is for the other 32+ starting level QBs in the NFL

3) Loyal, not a crybaby jerk. - Agreed, but so is my dog, and she doesn't make a good starting QB either. I don't know have you tried?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"I would rather have a QB who takes risks."

Would you really? I could not disagree more. Risk taking QB are exciting, but they don't win championships. How many SB has Cutler won? Despite all his great performances, Farve has won exactly 1 SB, and Desmond Howard was the reason GB won that game, not Farve. Farve will get you into the playoffs with a 4 TD game, and then get you out with a 4 INT game.

When you can't afford to lose (i.e. the playoffs) you can't afford a guy like Farve. He's great for the regular season, but going 4 games without a stinker is nearly impossible for a guy like him.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

COLLINS has the better pocket awareness, and will be here to mentor BRADFORD. CAMPBELL will not be resigned.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Alex, he threw 13 TDs last year with all of his skill players healthy for all 16 games and the league's leading rusher for most of the season. this year he has been horribly inaccurate, can throw the ball in the zip code of a receiver if its beyond 15 yards and if it wasn't for the fact that he throws 90% dump offs and WR screens he'd have more picks than TD.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they'd be better on this current crappy team but if you fix the line then Campbell's pocket presence isn't that big of an issue. A better line allows us to use more of his strengths and helps hide his deficiencies. A better line also gives us a better run game. So the question is why replace Campbell? Replacing Campbell means burning a first or second round pick in this draft. You already have to replace the offensive line anyway. Why not draft 2 young tackles and see what happens. The worst case scenario is that Campbell still sucks. Then guess what? You can take a new QB next year. This isn't a 1 or 2 year rebuild. None of the rookie QBs are great prospects. None of these prospects are even regarded as high as Sanchez or Stafford. All we want is to give JC a decent line, receivers, and running game and then evaluate him. He'll be pretty cheap and may save us a first round pick.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

DCwun...

Posted by: rickyroge

I don't know. You know I've been a supporter of his. I think the hits have started to take its toll and he doesn't look comfortable at all.

When he has been protected, he's looked good. I think he's somewhere in the middle of last night and the Saints game.

I would like to see more of Colt next year. He's basically a rookie after doing nothing for 2 years. Again, I don't think any of the QBs in this class are better than him.

Posted by: dcwun | December 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:49 AM

I agree....butthe thing is...we need him for 1/2 more years on OUR roster while we get the next starter upto speed on Shaany's system.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he was tired of playing for such a sorry azz team!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

lol, 980 just said that of Campbell's 52 starts he has thrown for less than 200 yards 25 times. That's awful!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Mark Brunell?

I remember his last play as a Redskin, against the Beagles at FedEx after JC17 had been flattened by Trotter. Brunell took a 5 step drop and was sacked before he had a chance to plant his back foot. He almost crapped in his britches, and was clearly out of his element.

I think the Redskins should start Collins next week. Not to see if he should be a starter next year, but to see if he can still play at all. No sense having a backup that can't back up.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

JC 17 is not the answer "ever", last night he got a taste of quit and I saw it. Now he is just a useless shell of a QB taking up roster space on a team thats been destroyed by poor coaching and management.Hopefully someone thinks he's worth a 2nd or 3 rd round draft pick and we can unload him. Theres no romm on this team for quitters, sack em all ! And please will someone already FIRE ZORN !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Despite all his great performances, Farve has won exactly 1 SB, and Desmond Howard was the reason GB won that game, not Farve."

I love this line of thinking. Quick show of hands, who would take 'just 1 SB'....Yes Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Jim Kelly we know...

also you could say Favre would have two SBs if their Dline wasn't gassed in 4th quarter of the Broncos loss....

I love when people denigrate sports acomplishments with stupid siht like "he won with dungy's team, well he needed Terrel Davis, well take scotty pipen away and..."

just respect winners, like me who won the RI Hamster fantasy football league...OH YEAH!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Taking risk is throwing the DAMN BALL DOWN THE DAMN FIELD AND HAVING TRUST THAT YOUR RECEIVER WILL CATCH THE DAMN BALL!

Now...If the rest of youse is satisfied with what's going on now, you are entitled to want to keep it this way.

I don't. Let the hate rain.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see JC behind a functional NFL line... not dominating, merely functional... with a good quality RB (or committee of Rbs)...not dominating, merely quality... and DT11, MK12, SM89(slot) with Marko in the mix along with CC and/or FD.

Add to this a coaching staff that could perform beyond "inept" and "dysfunctional".

If JC has this is place next year and can't cut the mustard, fair enough, you are then set up to go get "The QB" in 2011 with the pieces in place around him to foster success.

I'd also like to see CB5 get a chance to prove his (un)worthiness under these circumstances if JC faltered or failed under these conditions early in 2010.

With the above in place, I'd bet that one of JC17 or CB5 would be "good enough". I think the Redskins should find out if that is true before going out and getting a top ten draft college QB.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Time to blow this b'yatch up. I personally don't give 2 sh*ts about who gets cut/traded/waterboarded.

I just want to get throught he inevitable smackdown by Norville and the Chargers next week and forget this festering colon polyp of a season ever happened.

F this team and the winged-unicorn it rode in on. It's all about 2010 now.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

For all you Campbell backers. Take another look! Any questions!
Granted he never gets time, but he is the worst at knowing where the rush is coming from and stepping up. He has absolutely no awareness in the pocket.

Posted by: joeboggs | December 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I guess if they are 30 yd deep, it's harder to beat them on a double move. Even if they bite on a double move, they will still be 25 yd downfield, and probably 10 yd behind wr.

Actually, Blache was trying to discourage D-bags from even calling a double move. And the only long play was a crossing corner route to Whitten. LL should have had him covered, but whiffed...again.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

With no 5 pick, I hope we get Toby Gerhert

Posted by: abxinc | December 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

It is assumed Blache will be gone next year.
His replacement looks to be Bob Slowik.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

F CL and the MEdia for making me lose in the semis!

CL - who now lives in the Big Apple had the game fixed! That's what they do up there!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I would take 1 SB, CL. Of course.

The point is YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE BRETT FARVE TO WIN SUPER BOWLS.

If risk taking QB are so great, why hasn't Farve won 3, like Troy Aikman? Why hasn't he won 2, like Ben Rothlesburger?

There are a lot of guys on this blog who seem to think all the Redskins need is a great QB, and everything will be fine, SB appearances every other year, and rings galore. BS.

JC17 is not the reason the Redskins are last in the NFC East. They may have won a couple more games with a better QB, but I doubt they'd be in the playoffs.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Etrod, nice rant, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

With no 5 pick, I hope we get Toby Gerhert

Posted by: abxinc | December 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean the #5 pick in the 2nd round?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 28, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

dpc, Ben R isn't a risk taker????

You are making zero sense, and while I am not a fan of drafting a qb high this offseason, to say the class is no better than colt brennen is retarted....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Ben Rothlesberger is AS big a risk taker as Brett Favre...

Thanks for making my points!

Aikmen wasn't because they had a complete team. He has one of the weakest stat in all of HOF QBs! But he didn't need stats because the team won 3 SBs...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse
Sorry to disagree with you, gl, but Collins' contract for 2010 is $3.5 mill. There is no way TC is still on the roster next year.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I cosign etrod's rant

4th, while I would have loved to beat you for a 3rd time in championship game, you screwed the pooch...I on the other hand made all the prudent moves starting about 7 weeks ago to bring me the crown!

Stop hating, just respect my skillz

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:49 AM

And if no one believes this, they are watching something different.

Posted by: joeboggs | December 28, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I also cosign Etrod' rant.

Norv Turner will kill us next week. Everyone should be open to being cut/traded. Save for Sleepy!

Chris Coooooley for a 2nd and a 5th!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Kost rulz
4thFloor droolz

Posted by: 4-12 | December 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

They asked JZ how does he judge his offense 2 years in?

JZ: The scheme doesn't match the output.

(WTF!!?!?!?!?!? Yes MoFo We KNOW THIS)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

soup lovers, remember to record the SD game because it will be his last w/ this team. You can probably pick up your soup fathead at an after Christmas sale for cheap as well.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cindy we need a new poll!

If I'm Danny what do I do?

( ) Fire Zorn in locker room after game and hand him coack ticket home
( ) Fire Zorn on plan ride home and make him sit in that crappy jump seat
( ) Box all of Zorn's stuff up and fire him when buses pull into Redskins Park
( ) Sleep on it and let Bruce fire him Monday morning, because Bruce is really in charge now

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

They asked JZ how does he judge his offense 2 years in?

JZ: The scheme doesn't match the output.

(WTF!!?!?!?!?!? Yes MoFo We KNOW THIS)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 28, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse
Actually, the scheme does match the output...unfortunately. It is what it is...or was.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

You got to see JC17 behind a functional line with a good running game all last year.

The Oline pass protection was just fine for the first 4 games of the season this year. (It wasn't until game 5 and Samuels injury that the Oline went to total crap). JC17 still sucked and we went 2-2.

They falshed a stat last night that 77% of JC17's passes this year have gone less than 10 yards from the LOS - last place in the NFL. I know the knee-jerk response is "he doesn't have time to look downfield". And I know he doesn't have alot of time, but when he does have time he also is too chicken to pull the trigger and checks down. Or he gets flustered by the defense and checks down.

At one point last night Collinsworth was killing JC17 after he took a sack. The popular thing to do would be to blame th Oline, but someone knowledgeable like Collinsworth was pointing out that JC17 was supposed to execute a 3-step drop and get rid of the ball. Instead he hesitated, held onto the ball and got crushed by the pass-rush. I wonder how many times that's happened this year? When the protection schemes call for short drops and quick passes it is on the QB to get the ball out. Period.

HE'S JUST NOT A VERY GOOD QB.

Posted by: p1funk | December 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

People, Greg Blache must go, Laron Landry is simply a stupid player who couldn't cover his great grand-ma if necessary, couldn't tackle, always looking to give hard hits which never happens since he is always missing his target, D'Hall must go, he is nothing but over rated third string corner, Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts must go, they both too slow, Ganther is not the real deal, the entire offensive line must be rebuilt, finally, and unfortunately Jim Zorn must go or allow an offensive coordinator.

Posted by: abxinc | December 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I actually hope we lose next week. Only increases our chances of getting the Talented Mr. Okung.

'09- Orakpo...likely DROY, future Pro Bowler.

'10- Okung...future stud LT, JC's best friend.

4-12 baby!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

That's TWO games Suisham helped the Skins lose to Dallas.

He did more for the Cowboys as a Skin than he has as a Cowboy so far

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 28, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

To summarize everything wrong with Jason Campbell: He's not smart enough to recognize defenses, period. Look at Brees, Romo, Ben, Brady, Manning, all barking out signals, all managing their offenses, all calling audibles for what the defense is giving you, all moving up and down the line ensuring that all 10 players on offense get the call and are lined up right. Campbell signals for a runner to go in motion,and that's it. When a play fails, he's got his head down, the body language of someone who just cannot lead and project himself outward as the guy in charge. The Skins need to say bye ot Campbell, get a guy in the draft or free agancy and see if Colt progresses. need

Posted by: getitritegov | December 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Suisham made his kick and is now on his way to the playoffs after assuring us a winless conference schedule. Good riddance to that bum. Here's hoping he does the same to Dallas and continues to make them winless in the playoffs. Any arguments to keep JC were answered for me last night while I sat at that putrid game in freezing cold weather. He is a terrible QB. Good guy. Tough guy. Sucks as a QB. I'm not convinced he'd be a winner with the best of O-lines. He can't read defenses and his accuracy as a passer is abysmal. Anything more than a 10-15 yard pass is a wish and a prayer for him. Why is Landry still allowed to play? Why is Smoot allowed to play? These guys can't cover their runny noses. D. Hall can't tackle a stationary dummy. His talent is way overrated and the Redskins jumped on his wagon because of the interceptions he got late last year. How good can you be when a bad Oakland team cans your ass? Joe Gibbs used to talk about having "smart" players. Now I understand why. Players with smarts can help compensate for talent. Redskin players are mostly idiots with no focus, no discipline, no heart. How sickening to see players celebrating their individual play when they are down several touchdowns and going through a season that is nothing short of embarrassing. The only reason for a decent coach to come to the Redskins is for the compensation package he's going to get. As bad as Zorn is, he's walking away with a cool 2.5 mil to add to his bank account. And he wasn't even given a big compensation package like the high profile coaches will get.

Posted by: jfoster13 | December 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about Campbell and the QB position REALLY has me questioning the intelligence of those calling for a change at QB.

The question is NOT is Campbell the best QB out there. The question SHOULD BE "Can the Redskins be much improved over the next few years with Campbell on the roster?"

To me, without a DOUBT they can.

We have some glaring needs to be addressed WAAAAAY before we talk QBs, so what is the point of all the Pros/Cons, Int %, Completion %... Who the F cares?

Brett Favre vs Jay Cutler - What the F about it?!

We have Campbell.

Our O line is the WORST I have EVER seen. EVER. In the NFL, the Absolute most pathetic collection of soft, clumsy, heartless, feeble, inept, and unprepared "Linemen" I have ever seen working as a "unit."

THAT is the #1 problem. Talking about wasting draft picks to replace Campbell is an indication that you either do not understand the very basics of American Football, or that your brain does not function at a very competent level.

Our Problems are:

O LINE (and their backups)

after that,

COACHES (especially Offensive and Defensive coordinators - anyone who would still be putting Orakpo in situations to cover Witten should be fired immediately)

Free Safety (Landry is NOT a Free Safety)

Cornerback (We're lucky we didn't have more injuries there this year. We cannot count on being so lucky in the future)

Defensive Line (We've got Two guys playing with detached Biceps and Cornelius Griffin is 38 years old - not to mention, we stink)

Linebackers (HB Blades? I'm not sold. And we've wasted how many years on him so far?)

I don't even know why we keep Landry, really. He seems to be much more of a liability than an asset.

After that list, if you think we can get a decent, tough, coachable, experienced QB, better than what we have, I'm all for it.

If we're just talking about who's better, Montana or Young, then say so, because talking about an actual change at QB, and all that entails, consequences, wasted opportunities, and cap considerations included, is not smart.

Not even close.

If THAT is on your radar screen, your radar is broken.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 28, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

bob slowick(or whatever his name is)the d-coordinator next year..he is more horrble than blache. I hope if shanahan comes here he brings in another 4-3 attack defensive scheme man. this slowick is a disaster he would make blache look good who did he stop the years he was in denver?

Posted by: wathu19 | December 28, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse