This Week: the View from B'more

Our colleagues at the Baltimore Sun focused today on the University of Miami connection that runs through Clinton Portis on the Redskins' offense and Ray Lewis and Ed Reed on the Ravens' defense.

We've added a new component to our Redskins front so that each day you can more easily keep up with what's going on in the Redskins' opponent's city.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 4, 2008; 2:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache: Ravens Fun to Watch, Not to Play
Next: Zorn: Springs Likely to Play

Comments

Ooops, I crapped my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 4, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, I crapped my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

lol
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 4, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy sight seeing "Bawdimur" from the Train. Safer and fewer scents.

Posted by: Gweez | December 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

jumbo ... just great minds thinking alike

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"If you look at the jints OL, no #1 picks ... and 2 undrafted guys."

This is the exception more than the rule. Most other "great" lines in the league have been anchored by top a 1st or 2nd round pick (at least).

Seattle from a couple years ago:
Walter Jones - round 1, pick 6
Steve Hutchinson - round 1, pick 17

New England last year:
Matt Light - 2nd round
Logan Mankins - 1st round
Nick Kaszur - 3rd round

Indianapolis during their prime offensive years were anchored by Tarik Glenn - 1st round.

Rams during their prime offensive years: anchored by Orlando Pace.

Chiefs during the Priest Holmes assault years:
Willie Roaf - 1st round
John Tait - 1st round
Will Shields - 3rd round

The Redskins cannot be afraid to take linemen high - very high. Although I agree quantity is also necessary. I would be all for a 4-man offensive line draft this offseason.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

At some point, Vinny Cerrato has to asked to justify putting tgether this depthless, slow, old roster. And Zorn can't say anything but 'hip hip hooray' as he signed on to guide a ship where he can't select the pirates.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2008 2:52 PM

Didn't Vinny just have 10 picks in the last draft and keep all ten on the team? Isn't that how you "build through the draft"?

And after the final roster cuts were made, didn't Zorn say that he was fully consulted in full agreement?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, I crapped my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 4, 2008 2:41 PM

HA!
"Because I'm wearing them, and I just did"

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 4, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with MistaMoe - the Skins should play their younger players and see what they've got in these guys. It's not likely we will make the playoffs and even if we do, we will lose in the 1st round.

Play for the future! As many have already pointed out, this year was never projected as a playoff year by anyone. Give the guys a chance in game situations.

Besides, it can't be any worse than what we've got now. At least you've got an excuse for mistakes, missed tackles, and poor play with rookies.

Posted by: captjim | December 4, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

PSP,
Don't draft any player under 280 lbs

Posted by: alex35332 | December 4, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

My basic approach to draft is simple. Look at your team in 2 years and draft towards that. Assume you picks won't do much as rookies, realizing that someone might surprise you. And figure that for every 2 guys you pick, only 1 will pan out.

To me, the current Skins o-line issues were very predictable, I didn't expect the decline to be so fast, but they've also been healthier than I would have expected. After all, how many times have we finished the year with our best OL all on the field?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ten picks are what they are, TE, other than Horton none are playing regularly. Given the needs of this football team going into the draft how many of those picks satisfied immediate needs? In addition there was not going to be any way that Zorn would bite Vinny's hand or try to show up his boss by cutting the draft picks.

Posted by: driley | December 4, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor, I have to disagree with you on the Zorn/Hasselbeck thing. Hasselbeck has stated many times that Zorn changed the way he plays (for the better) and made him the QB he is. Shawn Springs said the same thing.

I also disagree with you on the Sonny Jurgenson comments. I watch the show every week and have never picked up that Sonny does not like Zorn.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 4, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

That's fine Lisa.

I was looking through all the 'Proper Things to Say When a Camera is Front of Your Face'....

Who said Zorn would be an excellent HC? Everyone said he would be a great OC, but not HC.

I don't blame him, though (This lays at the feet of Snyderrato). He was hired as the OC, but it's no going back now so.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

If anything, Zorn seems like a better HC than OC. His offense looks awful, but the team is still a winning team. Go figure.

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The disappointment for the actual team not making the playoffs this year will not be as much as the disappointment for the chance for Portis to win an MVP/rushing title. As for being realistic, the skins, as a team, weren't really given much of a shot to do anything speacial this year

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 4, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 4, 2008 3:08 PM

But I do think Sally Jenkins has a problem with Zorn, specifically, his hair. [Personally, I think she's jealous and fancies herself in a curry comb do.]

I understand that the spread on this game is currently Ravens by five with an over/under of 35.5.

Question: are they any Skins players in an ongoing b!tchslapfests with players on other teams (like Cutler v. Rivers, or Hines Wards v. the entire Ravens defense)?

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 3:18 PM

Given that there is no spending cap on coaches and given how The Owner has paid respect to that absence, I still think Zorn needs just one more guy on his staff ... a deputy head coach. Right now, I'm thinking Tommy Tuberville (primarily based not on his career accomplishments, but rather his name ... it sounds funny ... you can never have enough coaches with funny names).

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

He did not match Larry Brown's stats after 12 games. Portis has a few more yards, fewer carries and a better yards per carry average plus one more TD. However, Brown, was also dangerous in the passing game averaging 14.3 yards per catch with 4 TDs.

Not MVP material at this point.

___________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Six of the 11 players (10 starters) who sat out Wednesday's practice are working on the field now. The list includes guards Pete Kendall and Randy Thomas, defensive linemen Andre Carter, Kedric Golston and Cornelius Griffin and reserve linebacker Alfred Fincher.

Offensive tackle Chris Samuels participated in calisthenics but doesn't have a helmet so he's not practicing. Running back Clinton Portis and cornerback Shawn Springs are watching again. Linebackers London Fletcher and Marcus Washington aren't on the field at all. Neither is cornerback Fred Smoot, who was excused for personal reasons

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that, when we're 6-2 it's "WE'RE GOING TO TAMPA!!" and now that we've hit a mini-slump, it's "This team isn't goin anywhere/we suck/someone give me some cyanide"

This is not staying medium people. Medium-manic perhaps.

I know we've got some things to address. But chill out. ZMan will have them ready to play this week. We beat Ravens, we're going to the playoffs.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

bean bean

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with all comments about low expectations for this year. You don't return all the starters from a playoff team and lower expectations. Especially after the team that finished 2007 was so much better than the team that started 2007.

Add Jason Taylor to the mix (though we all know what happened) ... and this team looks to be thinking about a serious playoff run.

If it was about low expectations and the future, they should have lost guys like Springs, Jansen, Griffin. Washington and Thrash. I know, hard to do with cap hits.

They should have never traded for Taylor and given up picks.

2008 was not set up for low expectations.

My issue is that they didn't go far enough in getting either a Houshmandzadeh or Boldin, either guy that would have solved a huge problem and allowed this Skins team to make another strong run.

The reason for me wanting to go for it in 2008 ... ? Because its unlikely this team is going to get better in the next few years. Gone will be Fletcher, Springs, Taylor, Griffin, Kendall, Thomas (Randy), Jansen, Washington ... and there are a few others that might not be far behind. That is a lot of holes to fill.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1, I agree with your point about low expectations, but look at the players you mentioned, a number of them have been injured and they already have replacements lined up - Springs (Hall/Smoot?), Taylor (Evans), Griffin (Montgomery), Jansen (Heyer), Washington (Blades). Kendall and Thomas (Randy) at least one will be replaced by Reinhart next year and they might replace the other with a free agent or draft pick. So I don't think we are in that bad of a place going forward as you make it out to be.

Posted by: tedunni1 | December 4, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse