Thomas expects to see more time on kickoffs

With running back Rock Cartwright forced into facing more action at running back in the Redskins' 7-6 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, wide receiver Devin Thomas got an opportunity to return kickoffs and he averaged 28 yards on two returns.

Thomas showed his ability in the return game on a 38-yard return in which he made several tacklers miss, and the 2008 second-round draft pick said he is eager for the opportunity to continue in that role with Cartwright expected to start in the backfield Sunday at Philadelphia.

"Just because it's real natural and it's an easy way to get me the ball and use my speed and my size, a combination of the things I'm good at [and] try to make a big play," Thomas said. "I think I did a pretty good job and hopefully I get some more opportunities. I think with Rock getting more playing time at running back, it allows me to do that, takes [the] hits off of him."

In his junior season at Michigan State, Thomas returned 39 kicks for an average of 29.1 yards, ranking 11th in the nation. Asked what makes him a good returner, Thomas answered that he had a number of qualities that made for a strong option to take back kicks.

"I think just my ability to hit it hard, explosive, don't slow down, no fear, just hit it and try to hit that hole," Thomas said. "If it's there, I'm telling you I'm going to the house. I'm waiting to do it."

By Paul Tenorio  |  November 24, 2009; 6:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts: 'I'm on the road to recovery'
Next: Ganther says he'll be ready for prime time

Comments

Is Rock splitting carries with Ganther or Mason?

Posted by: FedorEm | November 24, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Cooley is going on IR today.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 24, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas is emerging as a terrific receiver. None of us liked last year but this year he's showing he can make catches and how tough a receiver after the catch he can be. Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly are getting better too. At this point, we look good for the future at the receiver position with these 3 draft picks last year. But Devin Thomas, wow. If he can continue to improve, we're looking at a great receiver and maybe a return man.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 24, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Cooley is going on IR today.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 24, 2009 8:07 AM

I'm glad. They need his spot for players who are able to practice. Portis should be the next to go on IR. The skins need to keep raiding other teams OL practice squad players. Maybe they get lucky.

Posted by: TWISI | November 24, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell - Rank 16 - QB Rating 86.1
Jay Cutler - Rank 24 - QB Rating 74.5
Mark Sanchez - Rank 31 - Qb Rating 61.1

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 24, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

DT should have been running back kicks all year long, but oh well right...

read some posts last night, I think edvar said that we should do an injury settlement with Rhino, and I had to laugh, I mean if thats not a knee jerk/short-sighted reaction, I don't know what one is...

moe, Boston is offering Lowell to anyone who'd take him...and they're willing to kick in 6million of his salary as well....I'm not sure what theo and the trio have up their sleeves...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 24, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Where is the Cooley to IR info coming from?

Posted by: mattylight | November 24, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

as much as i want zorn and vinny fired at the end of the season i will never root for the skins to lose!
john fienstein (sp?) is an effing d-bag
he should stick to writing books about swimming and golf.
i wish bmitch would have b1tch slapped him upside his stupid head.

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

So maybe this rash of injuries forces management to swallow a Logic Pill and use the remainder of the season as an opportunity to try out/work in the younger guys?

I can get behind that.

As long as we keep losing so that Vinny gets fired.

I think Rock will be pedestrian RB, but one thing I like about him is that he's effective on the screens - having worked so many kickoffs, you can see he's got good vision in the open field w/ a couple blockers.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

By Paul Tenorio | November 24, 2009; 6:52 AM ET

I didn't realize the Devin Thomas is one of the most articulate guys on the squad. Sounds like he has a career in broadcasting lined up when his playing days are over. Of course, up here, most people thought his playing days would never begin.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell - Rank 16 - QB Rating 86.1
Jay Cutler - Rank 24 - QB Rating 74.5
Mark Sanchez - Rank 31 - Qb Rating 61.1

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 24, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Snyder says:

Tim Tebow - Rank 1 - Thetan levels over 9,000

Tim was recently tested and found to have thetan levels on par of those of L. Ron Hubbard.

BTW, why did we wait this long to put DT11 on kickoffs? I mean we have been clamoring for this all year and the week after we finally give up they go ahead and do it. I mean I'd love for the team to be more proactive but right now I'll settle for slightly more reactive than Kieth Richards after raiding Ozzy's medicine cabinent. I can't wait until 2035 when the NFL outlaws rascal scooters and Randle El is forced to stop returning punts.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 8:35 AM

I can get behind that.

As long as we keep losing so that Vinny gets fired.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 8:37 AM

johnthefisherman, can you explain to p1funk why we never hope for the 'Skins to lose? Dallas fans hope the 'Skins will lose, not 'Skins fans.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

if they spend a 1st on a LT, and a 2nd on a RT, make Jones/Heyer the primary backups at LT/RT, use BMW, Rhino, Edwin Williams as the primary backups in the interior, that would be a good group?? I think if they do that, they'd see an exponential improvement in the line play, which then translats into improvement in the running game/passing game.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 24, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

No worries, by then ARE probably won't be able to lift his arms above his head to signal a fair catch anyway....

Posted by: mattylight | November 24, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Where is the Cooley to IR info coming from?

Posted by: mattylight | November 24, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

For DC101, Cooley was on this morning saying he is meeting with Zorn today. That he would be going on IR. So the info came from Cooley, via the radio.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 24, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

You sir are a better man than I. Just think about the combination of a high draft pick and a competent personel man.

We will have neither if we continue to show signs of improvement and/or win.

That's why I'm taking the tough love approach with my boys this year Or perhaps the 'Major League' approach - I want a team that will help me relocate to Miami.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 24, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Cooley said his break is only partially healed and he was hoping that by the time this meeting happened he would be fully healed. However there is still an opening at the base of the break and by the time it gets healed, he could possibly make it back for the final two games. Which, he said would be pointless by that time.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 24, 2009 8:55 AM

etrod,

IMO you and funk are thinking about it all wrong. The consequences you describe are the upside of a bad outcome. They fall under "every cloud has a silver lining." You don't ask for thunderstorms just so you can get a silver lining.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

because we love the burgandy and gold.
i'm as pissed as anyone about the way the team has been run the past few years and about the crappy gameday experience so i will not give $nyder one more dollar until i see the team move in a positive direction
(i won't buy any skins stuff or attend any games) but i will watch everygame on tv and always root for the Skins to win!

you can be apathetic but if you root for the freaking cowboys (or iggles)to beat the Skins I have to question whether or not you are a Redskins fan in the 1st place

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

i'm not trying to pull that "you aren't a true fan" crap. I just have a hard time seeing any Skins fan rooting for the cowboys to beat us.

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 24, 2009 8:58 AM

The last two games? Aren't those the NFC championship game against New Orleans and the Super Bowl against New England (payback time, Belichick!)? That's when we need him the most, although hopefully by then Fred Davis will have made him trade bait.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes, please. 2 wins matter (besides the whole shebang). And those are Dallas.

Fire Zorn.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 24, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Yes, please. 2 wins matter (besides the whole shebang). And those are Dallas.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 24, 2009 9:09 AM

He said "shebang." Heh, heh.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell - Rank 16 - QB Rating 86.1
Jay Cutler - Rank 24 - QB Rating 74.5
Mark Sanchez - Rank 31 - Qb Rating 61.1
Posted by: MrMerkin

Great point, here is where they rank in other key stats:

Where they rank in other spots:
Pass Att: JCutler 3, JCampbell 19, MSanchez 23

Comp %: JCampbell 8, JCutler 14, MSanchez 31

Yards: JCutler 10, JCampbell 18, MSanchez 23

TD: JCutler 12, JCampbell 21 T, MSanchez 21T

INT: JCutler 1, MSanchez 2, JCampbell 8 * This is ranked from Most to least

1st%: JCampbell 6, MSanchez 15, JCutler 26

where you rank the three all comes down to (for me) how you value a TD/INT ratio.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Beantown

My reaction was neither "knee jerk" or "short sighted". If you read all of my posts you would have seen that I was advocating the team make the tough investment in time, draft picks and FA to build O LINE DOMINANCE over the next two years. Not serviceable, not good, not adequate. DOMINANT.

Rhino IMO will never be a dominant RG, and he's broken his leg. He does not have the mean streak nor does he have the athleticism to pull and lead around the edge. I don't see any point in keeping him around. I don't like the way mediocre linemen seem to accumulate on this team, so let's make a couple of decisions and clear some room for the new guard. I don't see the point in keeping Heyer around next year either, but I guess he should be allowed to compete for the back up spot, as that is all he will ever amount to.

Your other post also left out one glaring omission. Rabach is done as a starter as well. We should definitely be looking for a new center for next year - one that doesn't play 4 yards deep in our own backfield. The guy has Jason's cleat marks all over the back of his legs. I'd consider keeping him for another year as veteran back-up to help bring along the next center, if that is needed.

Just trying to look ahead and make the commitment to build a championship team.

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

look fishguy, I'm not sure when you and your stooge coffee-gopher LeagueSource were appointed Guardians of the Flame.

One is perfectly capable of rooting for a team while also accepting the reality that they probably aren't going to win, and that when they don't win it's actually a good thing.

You think I like the position I'm in as a Skins fan?

I feel like a freaking exiled Taiwanese trying to subvert the Chinese communist govt.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

should have used him there all year. he will emerge as a receiver as soon as we get rid of campbell.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | November 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

You don't ask for thunderstorms just so you can get a silver lining.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I didn't ask for the thunderstorm, The thunderstorm bought the team.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 24, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I was not rooting for them to lose this weekend, however. I watched and cheered until about 6 minutes left in Q4. I turned off the TV when Suisham missed the FG because i knew what the outcome would be and didn't want to watch it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 24, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

You think I like the position I'm in as a Skins fan?

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

hey man i'm not trying to insult you it sounds like you have reached the level of apathy and i can't blame you for that and i'm not questioning your true fan ness

my problem was with feinstien saying that we should have been rooting for the cowboys
i'm sorry if it offends you but f that crap

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

john fienstein (sp?) is an effing d-bag
he should stick to writing books about swimming and golf.
i wish bmitch would have b1tch slapped him upside his stupid head.

Posted by: jonthefisherman

Totally agree.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 24, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

P1funk.

I don't agree. Losing is never a good thing, and justifying it with draft position is short sighted and lazy thinking.

I have seen a significant change in our three 2nd rounders form 2008. Davis is growing exponentially, DT even more so, and Kelly looks to be getting in the swing of things (a bit more slowly). Orakpo is a solid candidate for rookie defensive player of the year.

Do you really want to poison the well and teach these guys that loosing is ok and sometimes good. That hangover can last a long time. Also, do you really want the Skins the confirm to the rest of the league that when the going gets tough, they are really just a bunch of girls who quit and play for draft picks?

I'd rather them learn how to win and carry that momentum into next year - no matter who is GM or coach. I'd rather the other teams fear as as relentless warriors who will battle to the last man rather than throw it in. You know...tradition, reputation, character - those things.

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I am split on the skins winning or losing out.

My brain says lose out, my heart says fight like men.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 24, 2009 9:28 AM

I must be missing something. I feel compelled to watch every play of every game. There are only 16 games a year, and I can't turn off my TV just because they're losing.

Kind of opposite of the Wizards. I can't turn on my TV set just because they're winning.

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I am split on the skins winning or losing out.

My brain says lose out, my heart says fight like men.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I just want to see the young guys play so we know what we have in them before we go to the draft. I say play Kevin Barnes, Lendy Holmes, Marko Mitchell, Marcus Mason, Edwin Williams (at center) and H. B. Blades. Let the chips fall where they may. If we win, good, if not o well.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 24, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

i'm sorry if it offends you but f that crap

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 24, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I didn't hear Feinstein and I don't knw what crap he was spewing...my thoughts are my own.

I usually end up offended whenever Feinstein opens his annoying yapper...

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"Rhino IMO will never be a dominant RG, and he's broken his leg. He does not have the mean streak nor does he have the athleticism to pull and lead around the edge"

He's started 3 games, and you've come to this conclusion?? That in itself is other-worldly. You should change your handle to 'talent evaluator' because its amazing you came to this conclusion after 3 games....how do you do it??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 24, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Gray finalist at Memphis By Ryan O'Halloran on Nov. 23, 2009 into Redskins 360

Not a lot of posts from me today (none actually) -- had the 5:15 a.m. wake-up call in Dallas, 2 1/2-hour flight and arrived at Redskin Park about 4 minutes after Jim Zorn's press conference started.

Here's the news of the day:

* The Memphis Commercial Appeal is reporting that Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray and LSU assistant head coach Larry Porter are finalists for the head coaching job.

Jim Zorn declined comment after the Dallas game when asked about Gray's potential opportunity and Gray himself initally declined comment but said, "We'll talk about that later."

That might be at the introductory press conference. One Redskins source "wasn't sure" if Gray had interviewed once or multiple times with the Tigers.

The Commerical Appeal also discovered the connection between Gray and Memphis. Redskins part owner Fred Smith, who also founded the Memphis-based FedEx, has a son, Cannon, who will compete for the starting quarterback job next year. Cannon Smith sat out this year after transferring from the University of Miami.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 24, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

did I dream this, or were the redskins cb's playing much, much closer to the wr's this past game??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 24, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Not in that last drive, Beaner. lol.

Other than that, yeh. A bit. Some better hitting for sure. I don't understand why they let up.

Well, ok, I understand, I just don't agree.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 24, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

alex35332 wrote: "I am split on the skins winning or losing out. My brain says lose out, my heart says fight like men."

Well put. But there's a third option. You can milk a concussion and save your strength for next year.

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 24, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

You think I like the position I'm in as a Skins fan?

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse
============================================

Very well said, p1funk. There is a difference being a true fan versus just a "Fan"atic. True fans will always root for a team but will allow flaws to occur and demand improvement or adjustments because that is what is expected for the price of loyalty. A true fan will always want a win, but understand that reality takes precedence over delusional optimism and luck. Daniel Snyder is running the Redskins as if he is playing the "Powerball" by buying high priced tickets every year instead of just grinding it out with a steady job and investing in 401K. Even if he "hits" all the numbers one day, the euphoria he gets will only last a few seconds. However, that one day may have odds of winning just like the "Powerball" (1 in 195,249,054). Good luck with that!

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

He's started 3 games, and you've come to this conclusion?

Yup.

Have you seen ANYTHING in the last two years that indicates he could ever be a champion?

At the end of last season, when Samuels went down, remember how we put in the back up center because Rhino "didn't have the confidence to go in there"? What kind of crap is that? He should have been strapping on the helmet and running out there telling the other guy to get out of the way. Have you EVER heard of a team coddling a 300+ pound Guard?

And the fact that he has only started three games should tell you volumes given the competition. He's been in the battle of his life trying unsuccessfully to beat out guys that are the cast-offs of this league.

Again, it's about making a commitment to build DOMINANCE, not hanging on to mediocre performers for yet another year and hope maybe it will be better. Maybe he'll be a back up on another team, I'm setting the bar a bit higher than that.

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Lets just say "fans" think/act/behave/root/act out elation/frustration in as many diverse ways as there are people.....

I mean some of the loudest posters on RI hardly watch any games!

Check this setup out my buddy and I concocted:

So we were sick of spending $60 a week at a loud sports bar to watch the Skins pee on themselves every week so we bought the cable to connect a macbook to a big screen TV, then we sweetalked another friends sister to give us her online Direct TV access code. So we had a clear, strong, legal stream into a big TV. Then we rigged my iPhone to act as a remote control letting us switch to Red Zone Channel and other games during breaks. We ate our own food, drank our own food and partook of herbal pleasures in the safety of home.

Set up to watch the game: Epic Succeed
The Game: Epic Fail.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

P1funk.

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Short-sighted and lazy???

First, my sole interest is in seeing Vinny fired. Period. I don't care if we have 0 draft picks at the end of the year as long as Vinny is gone.

What is short-sighted and lazy is saying that you don't want to go through the painful inconvenient and uncomfortable process of surgery to remove a malignant tumor that's killing you.

The primary problem with this team is the incompetence at the top level of management embodied in Snyder and Cerratto.

Getting rid of Snyder is futile wishful thinking. The next best thing is getting rid of Vinny. Continued losing is the best clearest way to ensure that Vinny will get axed.

I don't like it. I didn't ask for it. But I care enough about the Redskins to see the big picture and want to be proud to root for the franchise I grew up rooting for again. So I'm ready to bite the bullet.

What is short-sighted and lazy is hoping this team ends up 8-8. And in return for a couple of pointless victories, we will get Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerratto standing in front of media at season's end telling us how well the team rallied after a rough start, and how we are back on track, and that Vinny's contract has been extended and his duties expanded, and how we just extended Clinton Portis for another 5 years, and that we are putting the finishing touches on a trade for Chad Ochocinco who is the last piece of the puzzle to make us a real contender...

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Gotta dash, be back around 3:00

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 24, 2009 9:50 AM

Agreed on that. That's why this season will always be the forgotten season to me. Once it ends we shall never speak of it again.

Cl - sounds like alot of work but thanks for sharing the wonders of technology. I recently quit on it....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

edvar, so you 'trust' this coaching staff to develop a player?? Really??

Like how we were fed the line that Fred Davis giggles, and doesn't know the playbook, until he was put into the game, and came away with 7 catches, which must have happened through osmosis, or something, because how can you not know the playbook/plays, but have that many catchs?? Or how they keep trotting Rock out there to return kicks despite DT being better at it and as JZ states, it gets him more focused on the game, or ARE out there to return punts despite him sucking at it, and going back a few years they kept Jansen in there when Heyer was a better choice, then coming forward, they used a 3rd round pick on Barnes, but somehow he can't get active despite Rogers STILL not being able to cover the double-move, and lets not forget they use a 3rd round pick on Jarmon, but the openly state THEY DON'T EXPECT MUCH OUT OF HIM THIS YEAR, why, what is the point of saying that??

Yeah, call me when this coaching staff gets changed over, and we'll see what we have, until then, everything is up in the air. You cannot come to ANY conclusion on these guys, until they have a 'real' nfl coach......there is just WAY, WAY too much stuff that indicates that JZ has NOT A CLUE in regard to player development.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 24, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Dude hits nail on head!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 24, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Smart moves chris larry. Getting fat drunk and lifted in the comfort of your home is way better than dishing out cash at a bar to watch a team that you can pretty much predict the outcome.

I personally want the Skins to lose as many games as possible if that means Vinny and his r-tard selection of Zorn are gone. But I couldn't do so this past Sunday. I hate Romo and Wade Phillips as much or more. Anytime something good happens to the Cowboys and Phillips does his stupid fist pump and looks like he just crapped his pants I wonder how in the hell this guy was ever hired. He is a puppet just like Zorn.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 24, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Would somebody please pass on this information to Daniel $nyder and Vinny Cerrato for me:
Jason Campbell - Rank 16 - QB Rating 86.1
Jay Cutler - Rank 24 - QB Rating 74.5
Mark Sanchez - Rank 31 - Qb Rating 61.1

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 24, 2009 8:19 AM"

MrMerkin

by that logic, the Skins' best off-season move would have been to dump Campbell and get Brett Farve [no less that 5th in ANY QB category this season]...so please try and serve that baloney somwhere else, eh?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 24, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse