Thomas Has a Few Words for Thomas

Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora report:

Right guard Randy Thomas made his feelings clear to rookie wideout Devin Thomas Sunday late in the third quarter of the Washington Redskins' 23-17 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles.

Leading 16-14, the Redskins needed four yards on third down. Quarterback Jason Campbell completed a 12-yard pass to wide receiver Santana Moss, but Thomas was called for pass interference, and the penalty overturned the first down.

Backed up 10 yards, Washington ran another play, failed to gain the first down and punted. On the sideline, the Thomas-Thomas conversation was very one-sided.

"I was out there, just trying to play hard, and I got too aggressive," said Devin Thomas, the Redskins' top draft pick. "I tried to run block before I was supposed to, and Randy just let me know about it.

"He's a veteran guy, he's passionate, and he just let me know how important it was that we converted that. I caused it to get called back, he expressed that and I understand that."

Randy Thomas just wanted the rookie to know that "in situations like that, you have to be smart," he said. "Of course, I've make mistakes, it's on film. But you've just go to be smart.

"Sometimes, you get in the tempo of the game, and you're just fired up. I probably shouldn't have did it [confronted Devin Thomas], but I'm getting old for this game. I need to win games."

Devin Thomas has become a bigger part of the game plan in the last few weeks. He had two receptions for 28 yards against Philadelphia.

"I just try to improve each week, and just try to get that trust from the coaches to get more plays in the game plan," he said. "I want to make things happen and try to help us out."

...

Wide receiver Santana Moss entered the game second in the NFL in receiving yards, coming off a monster performance against Dallas. He ended up without a catch but had no complaints.

Moss received a healthy dose of safety attention in the game, with the Eagles committed to not letting the Redskins beat them with the deep ball. That helped open up the underneath patterns for tight end Chris Cooley (eight catches for 109 yards and a touchdown), however, including on Washington's first touchdown. Unlike Dallas receiver Terrell Owens, who grumbled about his role despite getting 17 balls thrown his way in a loss to Washington in Week 4, Moss was all smiles after the game, doing a fine job with his blocking and drawing the assignment of top corner Asante Samuel much of the day.

"I couldn't care less about none of that," Moss said. "My whole goal is to do what I can to help this team win. Therefore, that's what I've done. Now, if you threw me a whole bunch of balls and then I was sitting here saying I didn't get but a couple of balls, then I'd be looking like an ass, you know what I mean? I just feel great about having a win and being able to contribute somewhere else. We get points for a lot of other things in this game as far as making good downfield blocks and being the guy who can take two guys out of a play so another guy can get open. Hey, I'm all for it."

Moss still leads Washington with 27 catches for 421 yards and three touchdowns.

"On the sidelines, most guys, if they don't have a catch, they're complaining," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Not him. He's on the sideline saying this is some of the best fun he's had playing."

...

The Redskins reported defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (right shoulder sprain) as the only new injury.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 5, 2008; 7:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's a Wrap: Skins 23, Eagles 17
Next: Campbell Breaks a Theismann Mark

Comments

Re-post:

Will catch up on all the comments later, but these two quick hitters:

a. The Eagles... they're not who I thought they were.

2. Last year dcsween's keen eye spotted something not quite right with Santana's wrist, and this preseason I think he warned us about ARE's wrist... not that they were "easy" catches, but ARE had three drops that would have been first downs, fastballs from Soup that hit him in the hands. The kinds of balls you might drop if, say, one of your wrists was hurting you.

okay, a bonus hitter,

c. Nickname for one of my favoritest plays, the "Campbell Scramble"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

First to congratulate the 'skins!

Posted by: jgluke | October 5, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice. I had some choice words for Thomas myself after that play.

And Moss calling out TO is always welcome

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 5, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

wow NBC plays up the snooze mistake fest of Bmore v Titans but skins game is after though....

collinsworthless calls JC "not great"

keep it up media....doubt us, I love it!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Jinx

Great W for the Skins!

Posted by: JinxMan | October 5, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

ARE walked off at one point to have his wrist examined but the announcers didn't mention it.

Posted by: jgluke | October 5, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

to (no caps for crybaby owens) could learn from Moss about being a team player!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 5, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

F TO

F McNabb

F Walrus man

F Westbrook

F Dawkins

F DeSean Jackson

F Philly Fans

HAIL SKINS!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I love that we're still not get props. Collingsworth and Costas gave us no respect. I'm cool with that. What was up with Costas making fun of CP? I like being the underdog.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 5, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

"Now, if you threw me a whole bunch of balls and then I was sitting here saying I didn't get but a couple of balls, then I'd be looking like an ass, you know what I mean? I just feel great about having a win and being able to contribute somewhere else. We get points for a lot of other things in this game as far as making good downfield blocks and being the guy who can take two guys out of a play so another guy can get open. Hey, I'm all for it."

You complete me, 'Tana

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 5, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Mistakes aside...I like that Devin Thomas is getting involved, excited and seeing some playing time...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I think I just shut down that cowgirls web site!

Love watching espn staff eating crow re: Skins!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 5, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

do tell curz...do tell...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

A...2...C....is that Nate or Clark Grizwold??

Huge win!!

HTTR!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 5, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree the punter has issues. 2 bad punters in a row me thinks its not our players but our punting coaches. Don't want to throw Danny Smith under the bus but maybe they need to get Ray Guy over hear from the kids college.

Love JLC and Moss mocking TO still, the best part about bragging rights for this town is that the players press and fans can make fun of TO for the rest of the year for that.

Any Poll that does not have us in the top three and above Dallas is shear stupid.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Those of you getting on Brooks, keep in mind, we could have Frost...

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 5, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I and tableing all negatives about game (cough punting) until the week..

Tonight we drink the blood of eagles from horns of plenty!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad these so called "experts" keep picking against and knocking the Skins. It allows the team to continue to fly below the radar. This team needs to continue to take care of business and not slip up against one of the weaker teams on their schedule. The Skins already put themselves in a great position by winning 2 out of 3 divisional games on the road.

Posted by: JinxMan | October 5, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JinxMan | October 5, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

ESPN (Mort) is reporting that the Skins players refused Zorn's offer of a day off on Monday as a reward of sorts for two tough divisional road wins...preferring to keep their routine and momentum.

If true...wow. Truly. Anyone ever heard of an NFL refusing a day off??? Could really be something special brewing here folks!

HTTR! How much fun is this again???!!!

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | October 5, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

could it be that DThom thinks if they throw to him, he'll get fewer pass interference calls? this rook's logic bothers me no end.

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 5, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Happy early birthday, Alex!

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Not to get too ahead of myself, and if you are on the team stop reading now so this does not give you any ideas.

Okay good.

Now, who do you let close out the game next week when we are up big in the 4th quarter? Colt or Todd?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Good that Randy let Devin know how stupid that penalty was it could have been a game changer bad enough you and your boy come to camp out of shape and lacking the skill set that you need to succeed in this league and he(Kelly)stays nicked up,but you Devin continue to keep being flagged for the same penalty time and again what are you thinking?I hope Randy's words sink in.Excellent win today this team has character and is very physical Philly had no idea what to do after the first half.IMPORTANT TO STAY FOCUSED AND CONTINUE TO PLAY HARD FOR SEAN#21!!!!!!!!! LETS GO DC11!.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I believe I'm catching Dolphins fever.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 5, 2008 5:39 PM |

F the Dolphins, the Tuna, and all his little baitfish!

Posted by: allen_wrench | October 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I am loving this. Redskins win two tuff division games on the road and still get no respect from the media or the opponents.

'Tana said this week the SAME THING that Cooley said last week after having a quiet(from a receptions standpoint) day: "This is the most fun I've had playing".... and 'Tana punked to in the process. I'm telling ya i am loving this.

I also really like how a) Randy squared Devin away and even more b) how Devin took his medicine and said all the right things.

Team first baby. Zorn has them loose, focused, and they have all bought in.... this is what you dream about as a fan.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Did we hit McNabb that hard today? Sure sounds like someone with his bell rung based on these comments:

"I'm embarrassed these last two weeks to two teams we should not have lost to,'' McNabb said. "When you make mistakes and don't capitalize on opportunities things like this happen. There's no way you can look at this game ... and say this team was better than us. The same with last week. You find yourself here wondering why. Sometimes you have to go through this process, but there's no reason for us to be going through it right now."

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | October 5, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I believe I'm catching Dolphins fever.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 5, 2008 5:39 PM

F the Dolphins, the Tuna, and all his little baitfish.

Posted by: allen_wrench | October 5, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Randle-El's wrist looked fine on that throw to Cooley. But if his wrist is a problem, I do feel comfortable with the rookies stepping in.
And I hope to see more two tight end sets with Cooley and Davis. They helped break that big Portis run in the second half

Posted by: ryjufox3 | October 5, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Apologies for the double post...

I believe Cleveland had this week off, so they'll have two weeks to prepare for the Skins. Hopefully, Zorn will be able to keep them off-balance with his play-calling.

Posted by: JinxMan | October 5, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like D mac is in serious denial.

Dude, your team got its ASS KICKED today.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 5, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

This game was truly the litmus test for me as to where this team is. This team can come from behind, score points, run the ball, pass the ball, defend, and get young players on the field. We are headed in the right direction.

Still can't believe that we don't get no respect. But that's okay... F--k all of these so called "anal-lists"

SICWIDIT

Posted by: rickyroge | October 5, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow SoCal, that really is remarkable if true...Mort said that? If so, probably fair bet it's true. This team is truly just that - no individuals. I wouldn't trade 'Tana for TO for anything. ANYTHING I SAY!!

Nice convincing win Dallas. Needed a deflected TD pass to eek by the Bungles. Solid.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 5, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

HTTR! How much fun is this again???!!!

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | October 5, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley was on the local FOX post game and said they WOULD NOT have a day off. He played it really humble, saying the game is over, they are leaving at 5PM, short trip, home before 9PM and would want to come in and get a work out anyway (I guess he means in the gym). He also said, they will review film, which is always more enjoyable after this type of win anyway, and they do not want to look past anyone.

Posted by: Club320 | October 5, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Rams had this weekend off... gives haslett an extra week to try and figure something out.

Following week, we get the Browns coming aff a short week agaisnt the gints, they have the monday night game coming up next weekend.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 5, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2008 8:00 PM

Good idea.

Posted by: skinfanman | October 5, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Cleveland could have the next six weeks off to prepare and those jugheads would fumble the kickoff. They're nobody to worry about as long as our boys pay attention to business.

Posted by: Schroeder12 | October 5, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Just thought of this:

Big Props to Suisham... 3/3 over 40 yards including the 50+ job right before the half...that was huge.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 5, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Just thought of this:

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 5, 2008 8:32 PM

Could not agree more. This guy is the unsung hero of the season, solid kickoffs, and has stepped big in the games the Skins could not punch it in. He is the difference in these two wins...

Posted by: Club320 | October 5, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 5, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 5, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Skins will have to make it through D Thomas' growing pains. Can't have too many physical, fast & big receivers, and by my count they have one. Coach him up...

Posted by: live1 | October 5, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I like the Thomas on Thomas lecture, especially on a play where D Thomas got over zealous on a blocking assignment. I'm all for accountability, but D Thomas has been called out very publicly for his mistakes. I think that sort of thing can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. As satisfying as it might seem to us to hear about R Thomas chewing a guy out, athletes thrive on confidence (this is perhaps especially true of skill positions). Hopefully R Thomas will be the first to congratulate/praise him when he does something right.

Posted by: FITS | October 5, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"There's no way you can look at this game ... and say this team was better than us."

I can't stand Donovan McNabb. What about this game could possibly support that point of view? The man is delusional.

Posted by: FITS | October 5, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I'm running a little behind but, here's one for the NFC East. It's not Marion the "Barbarian", It's Clinton "The Beast" Portis.

Posted by: SNAmbers | October 6, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Donovan McNabb is trippin. Wasn't he playing in the game?? Did he not see his team getting beat, because I did!! LOL. Now maybe he feels his team is better which he is supposed to, but judging by the looks of the game.....I think not!!

Posted by: mbroo1 | October 6, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The penalty on Devin Thomas was not the same as previous ones, even though it was still considered offensive pass interference. He was doing something that prima donna WRs seldom do, getting physical while blocking so that a teammate can succeed. I don't want that to stop. He just has to get better at timing. It is a shame that it took away a first down and 'Tana's only catch.

As for 'Tana, how can you not just love the guy -- whatever it takes for the team to succeed and punked TO in the process. Down here in Dallas the local media has begun calling Owens "Me-O".

Of course, anyone can look like a good teammate when things are going well. The word down here was that TO had matured -- up until last week. The difference is that 'Tana has been the same through some pretty tough times in DC, just going out and trying to help the team.

Posted by: rogerward | October 6, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Santana Moss is a first-class act! He reminds me a lot of #81...Art Monk. Neither of them would ever whine about not getting the ball enough, or anything else for that matter. Santana is dead right too. With him getting so much coverage attention, Jason Campbell is free to find the open receiver. Although both Michael Irvin and Art Monk are in the NFL Hall of Fame; Art's grace in performing his receiving "art," will be much more memorable as time marches on. Irvin's mouth and drug abuse will always be a black eye on his resume. I think we'll be saying the same things about Terrel Owens and Santana Moss someday, after they are inducted into the Hall of Fame. The Cowboys organization should be ashamed of their more recent image that their star receivers have portrayed. In contrast, the Redskins receivers are the consumate professionals...and the class of the league.

Posted by: patrickmonahan | October 7, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse