Thomas Heartened by Role at the End

From Jason Reid:

On a key third-down play late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 14-10 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, Redskins rookie wide receiver Devin Thomas was the primary option in the pattern.

Quarterback Jason Campbell and Thomas were unable to connect on the play, the Redskins failed on fourth down and the Cowboys ran out the clock. Despite Washington's poor finish, the fact that Thomas was heavily involved down the stretch could be a good sign for him.

"It definitely is," Thomas said. "The fact that they're coming to me, I've got to show everybody I'm ready now. I've got to be perfect."

Thomas - the Redskins' top draft pick - had three receptions for 14 yards, including a seven-yard, third-down catch in the third quarter that produced a first down. On the third-down play in the fourth, Campbell's poor throw was too low for Thomas to come up with, Coach Jim Zorn said, but "I feel like I still should have made the play," Thomas said. "The ball was a little low, but that's when you've got to make special plays.

"It was third down in a tight game. I look at it like, 'What could Devin Thomas do better?' There were a few times out there where I feel like I could have made some plays, so I'm frustrated. It's back to the drawing board; just have to keep on working."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 18, 2008; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taking Stock of the NFC East
Next: Campbell More Concerned with Decisions than Stats

Comments

Posted by: Cobain | November 18, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Devin, if you would like to help the team start by lining up properly so that we don't get penalized for illegal formations. Thanks!

Posted by: Ehren | November 18, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Someone give him Leigh Torrence's number!!!!

Posted by: Lacantwrite | November 18, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

learn how to not interfere on the pass... then catch clutch third down catches. Then we can talk mr Michigan State

Posted by: DCXNTX | November 18, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"They threw to me on 3rd down! I was in the game, I got open and they threw to me on 3rd down! I didn't make the play...but I'm so happy they looked my way!"

I'm not sure I like this approach, Devin...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

baby steps, Devin... baby steps.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

“I gave Jason Campbell — I scratched a big minus for him. I didn’t put that on Devin. That was a very, very difficult catch for him to make. Because he was coming inside. Alls Jason had to do was put the ball on his inside shoulder and he threw it low. He raised up and he threw it right down. Now you’re telling that receiver he had to actually burst, dive to make the catch. Tough, tough catch. I wouldn’t put that on Devin.”

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Hamsters,
Really good comments on these last few threads, even after a heartbreaking loss to dallas.

Fans got to stick together, not take it out on each other.

Sounds like Campbell and Thomas just need a few more game day reps to get it together.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

most of this conversation is not happening...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 11:34 AM

Agreed ... or at least that's my "official" story if any of my supervisors walk by.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"It would be nice for Thomas to get his first and second touchdowns this week against Seattle.

Posted by: Cobain"

It would've been nice for Thomas to get his first and second touchdowns last week against Dallas.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"Speaking of Michigan State, I love this time of year. Ranked #17 in football and #6 in basketball. It makes one wonder whether the University of Georgia even has a basketball team (and whether college basketball rankings after btwn one and three games = power rankings).

Posted by: dcsween"

you mean the same University of Georgia squad that is dominant in women's basketball and won the SEC championship last year in men's basketball? The very same one???

HI HATER

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

DEVIN IS BLACK RIGHT ?

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 18, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Thomas will be fine. Zorn said they had him open for an easy score in the endzone this past game, and Jason had no time to get the ball there...that would have been two, as opposed to no TD's.

Seattle could be a make or break game - this is a team they SHOULD beat, but in Seattle, you never know. Their secondary is a mess, and the D-line has been a shadow of its former self, but as poorly as the Redskin's O has been of late, I'm reserving all judgement.

Funny, I said I didn't think Dallas could win because I couldn't see them scoring more than 14 in that game. Too bad I couldn't see that we wouldn't either.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 18, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Question for those who were at the game? How loud was it. Looked like the fans repp'd at least this game...

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

No, he's a shade of brown.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 18, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

On that ball that Moss couldn't hold on to (notice how I didn't say drop)...if you look at what the rest of his body was doing, it easy to see why he couldn't hold on.

If he catches that ball, yes, things may be different. Mainly, we would be replaying it over and over because it would be a super-human, All Pro, highlight reel, just down right amazing kind of catch.

Credit Moss for us expecting him to catch it. Just as often as not he does make those plays.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Moss catch: it's just one of those plays...he needs to make it, but IF he makes it, it's a GREAT play.

It's like a 4th down call - you don't get it, you're an idiot who is rash. You get it, you're a genius with guts.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 18, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game - think it was nice and loud and people were excited. My seats are WAY up at the top and it's not always 100% full - it was completely full and people were excited.

The only cheesy thing is that right before the game started the announcer got on and told us that we were going live to the Nation in 15 seconds and to waive our rally rags - felt a little contrived and like we were on American Bandstand or something.

That said, for EVERY SINGLE third down - everyone around me was on their feet making as much noise as possible (which I appreciate - since there are times that it's just me!)

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 18, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Dead on Stumped. It looked like he turned the wrong way on his adjustment. Zigged when he shoudl have zagged but you can't fault him. That was also a great throw by JC. Anywhere else and that would have been a pick.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

skinz, I thought it was pretty loud, when Dallas was on offense, the place was buzzing, towels flying, seemed like Skins fans repped it out....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Can we start a rally for Zorn to go "no huddle" for stretches of the game? Given the fact that defenses seem to be playing deep and allowing the underneath stuff with little to no RAC (run after catch), I think this would be the perfect change of pace. JC seems to flourish in it and he doesn't have as much time to over-think or hold the ball too long. It would also wear down or soften defenses faster and not allow them to freely substitute on 3rd downs especially with the situational players. Comments!

Posted by: gregskins | November 18, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

How is CP's knee?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 18, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg. Sounded loud on the Television.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

skinz, if I were Snyder, I'd invest in the most expensive, loudest sound system that you can buy, legally speaking of course, that and a bunch of air-raid sirens, I'd have the place DEAFENING.

The pats did the air-sirens thing a few years back, and it was great....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

No, he's a shade of brown.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 18, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was Burgundy and sometimes White, with gold trim.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

it's okay to be critical and still be a fan. i'm not calling for him to be benched. i don't know gm level football. i'm telling you what i'm seeing. i just expect the qb to do a bit more either by design (on zorny) or from nature (instincts)...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 12:04 PM

No, only JLC is allowed to be critical.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 18, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I was slightly encouraged by Thomas' play this weekend. Campbell seems to trust him more, as does Zorn, so that's a good sign. However, he was unable to shield a defender on a pass that got broken up on a curl, and he has to be able to make that catch on 3rd down, regardless of whether JC throws it a little low. Not every pass will be drilled into the numbers. And I'm not sure, but I think he was at fault for a procedural penalty when he didn't cover up Jansen on the LOS (at least that's what the ref said). Still, this was his most involved game so far, so hopefully it pays dividends down the stretch.

Posted by: psps23 | November 18, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

poolman = coach in the movie "The Comebacks"

Posted by: RedDMV | November 18, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

So lets assume that we replace JJ with Heyer and put Reinheart in at LG, do we need to replace Thomas, Samuels and Casby all at once or any of them got some gas in the tank?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope Poolman drowns in a pool. But then again, he'll haunt the blog by complaining how many black people are in hell...

Oh, and Poolman...I'm black so I can say that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one unclear on what happened with the procedure penalty? I thought that Thomas was on one side and Cooley motioned over to that side wouldn't then CC be the the one to cover?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course you can blame Moss for not catching that ball. Who else is at fault? We took one shot downfield all game. He HAD to catch it and he didn't.

I'm glad Thomas is getting involved, but I'm not sure it matters. The #2 wideout gets 1-2 balls his way in our offense.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 18, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Can we start a rally for Zorn to go "no huddle" for stretches of the game? [Good points deleted for space.]

Posted by: gregskins | November 18, 2008 1:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing last night. One of the big things we seem to lack on offense right now is a sense of urgency. One way to manufacture that urgency is to speed up the pace, forcing guys to make quicker decisions.

No-huddle. I'm all for it.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 18, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

BEEP BEEP

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Poolman=rally towels= power rankings

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

yeah zorny put the blame on jc but madden and al michaels put it on the receiver...

yeah it was low...but maybe jc forgot that he has a receiver taller than 5'9" out there now...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas is STILL making mental errors. He lined up wrong and got the team an illegal formation penalty. Jansen was blamed for it.

Posted by: jgluke | November 18, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Notable receivers and their # of catches in rookie year...
Cris Carter: 5
Steve Smith: 10
TO: 35
Irvin: 32
Reggie Wayne: 27
TJ Housmazoo: 21
Ricky Saunders: 14
Devin Thomas: 11 (through 10 games)

Dude is already tied with Irving Fryar!

Posted by: MonkMossMann | November 18, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Notable receivers and their # of catches in rookie year...
Cris Carter: 5