Thomas on Transition to Heyer

With the demotion of longtime starting right tackle Jon Jansen, second-year tackle Stephon Heyer will line up next to right guard Randy Thomas in the season opener.

Thomas and Jansen have started together for five seasons, which makes the situation difficult for Thomas, but he has a job to do and the rest of the team does as well.

"I hate what he's going through, but this is the way the game is, and I have a lot more things to worry about than somebody else's job," Thomas told Jason Reid. "When you get caught up in that, you lose focus on what you've go to do. We all have to go out there and do what's expected of us. That's just the way it is.

"What I want to do is continue to do my job. Hopefully, Stephon will do his, and I've got confidence in him. He knows we're counting on him and he knows that he has to go out there and get it done. And who else has a veteran backup tackle like Jon Jansen? He's going to keep working. He's going to try his best to get back in there. He's not a give-up guy."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 31, 2008; 3:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington Ready To Go; Brooks Speaks
Next: Jansen on Demotion; Kelly Doubtful

Comments

First!?

Posted by: Loblolly | August 31, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

+++ I'll be the 1st to say he stunk it up out there but I trust that Jerry Gray has seen a few good DBs in his time and pray he's practiced better than he's played.... ( let's hope ) Westbrook is the guy that I'm still wondering why they keep him around... he's not the athlete his brother is.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:23 PM+++

Excellent points. Of course I hope you are right on this. I realize that my inexpert opinion sometimes gets skewed by recent similar 'skins picks who didn't turn out well.

I've been down on Thomas and Kelly at least partly because the 'skins havent picked a good WR in the high rounds since Art Monk in 1980 (You can look it up).

And while I would LOVE to see the second coming of D. Green in Mr. Tryon, he reminds me more of a recent Redskin pick, a 5'8" DB picked high (2nd or third round, I think) who proved to be a bust--Rashard Bauman.

Maybe the lack of evident speed by Tryon is because he's overthinking. But what I haven't seen--and I've watched all the preseason games--is evidence of burst. I haven't witnessed that makeup speed the great fast DBs have, that atones for their coverage sins.

Of course, if Tryon improves in coverage, he won't have to make up as much ground, obviously, and the inch or two of space between his waving hand and the ball on its way to a completeion will disappear.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I was starting to mistake Jansen for a Bull Fighter...

Posted by: Bout time | August 31, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Those of you hating on Tryon really ought to click through to the link that jm220 posted:

Rich Tandler gives the case for Tryon and for keeping all of the draft picks. I don't think he'll win over haters, but people with an open mind might see a different viewpoint than the tired old Jasno/Wise line. Here's what he wrote about the Mike Wise attack on Tryon:

"The last throwaway line about Tryon is another gem. I think that the Redskins got exactly what the expected out of him when they drafted him. They knew he had good speed and suspect coverage skills. You can teach the coverage skills, you can't teach the speed. Keep him on the team as your fifth corner, work to hone his coverage skills, and see what you have in 2009.

"The Redskins have been criticized over the years, and justifiably so, for slapping together a team for the here and now rather than building for the future. So this year, in late April, they identified 10 football players who they thought would help them win games in the future. Not necessarily in 2008, but in 2009 and beyond."

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Like the Heyer move...Zorn had the stones to do it. No way Gibbs would have done this with his overcommittment to unproductive veterans.

Why are some down on the Skins cutting Mason? When and where was he going to play? I can understand the homer mentality, but there was no way he was jumping Cartwright and Betts for playing time.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 31, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

FROM ISNAD

+++Cork, I remember you way back (10+ years ago) on the AOL message boards.

What's in a name? Are you in the wine business or just a fan of the vino? Any favorites?++++

CORKCZAR replies

I wanted to use "Anonymous," but it was already taken. So I went with my nickname "Cork" and the fact that in a prior life I was Czar Nicholas of Russia.

+++I'm down to my last bottle of '99 cab in my collection....it will be a sad day.

Posted by: isnadd | August 31, 2008 3:27 PM+++

My tastebuds were ruined by a brief fascination with Chateau Ripple. I stopped when my then fiancee put "no Ripple" in the pre-nup. For you kids out there, Ripple was known as "The wine that's never seen a grape."

Also, as a former film critic it is my duty to report "Bottle Shock" is an immature vintage, with hints of confusion and a bitter aftertaste.

I'm afaid to ask where you screen name came from.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 31, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

te...

You make some great points. Let me make a few others. The Skins finally have a good mix of vets and young players.

Brennan
Geisinger
Reinhart
Davis
Heyer
Montgomery
Golston
Wilson
James (if he can stay healthy)
Jackson
McIntosh
Blades
Fincher
Moore
Horton
Hamilton
Thomas
Kelly

Even if some of these don't pan out, you have some youth and opportunity to develop players into great ones.

Now having said that...I don't understand the Tryon move nor the move to cut McMullen and Mix, but Zorn probably thinks Thomas and/or Kelly will be ready sooner rather than later.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 31, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

Dang it man, don't pull out Bauman,... although, it's funny, they look a lot alike in coverage thus far...

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So is Heyer officially starting for the season - or just the first game? If I remember correctly, people were talking about how bad Heyer looked in the first 2 games.

Also, during the preseason games that he called, Joey T. kept commenting how impressed he was with Tryon. Yes, with Tryon. Said he is a tough little dude (or something like that).

Finally, if we had not signed all of our draft picks - especially Brooks - I'm pretty darn sure JLC would be posting on here (and writing articles) about how bad it was the Skins did not keep all their draft picks...that our draft was bad....and how unbelievable it is that we drafted a punter and then cut him.

Posted by: Lisa | August 31, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT,

I want to reiterate on the new post..
All of you that are pissed about keeping all 10 draft picks are the same people that gripe about being big spenders in Free Agency. None of us know what these 10 will do in the coming years, but I like it.
FYI - Reed Doughty Rd 6
HB Blades Rd 6
Lorenzo Alexander - Undrafted FA
Cedric Golston - Rd 6
Heyer - Undrafted FA
Montgomery - Rd 5
Suisham - FA
Torrence - FA
Wilson - FA
LANDRY
ROCKY

Plus our 10 newbies along with Hamilton and Geisinger. That's 23 of our 53.

So have any of these guys played significant roles in the past 2 years? Over 40% of our Roster were draft picks or UDFA selections. Not too bad when you look at the big picture. So let the jury deliberate on these 10 in a couple of years. Sometimes, we just need to have a little perspective.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:43 PM

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sicwidit | August 31, 2008 3:48 PM

I'm thinking we need to be patient a few days. I suspect there will be two or three roster moves -- probably adding a WR, an LB, and a CB. And then Tryon, Fincher and another one will be on the practice squad. Redskins shifted the roster two or three times last year after the initial cut down.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This post has nothing to do with the Red Sox, Jasno's ipod, Jasno's home, or his sweet glasses. And thus totally sucks. Jasno is a joke. Worst reporter ever!!! Go cover the Sox or Red Wings or Ravens you joke!

Posted by: Jasno Hater | August 31, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Albert Fincher was beaten in the final few preseason games, but was
just re-signed not long ago and is here really because Matt Sinclair's
back injury turned out to be more severe that hoped."

I am going to take it that JLC is on something today. Fincher has been a beast this off season.

Posted by: jm220 | August 31, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Remember that time this blog was half a hour behind every other sports blog or NFL network in the country? OH WAIT that was every time there is breaking news! Some Redskins insider! They should change the name of this blog to "I would rather write about the red sox, my house, my stupid kids, the red wings, the ravens, or how to best go about buying D-bag glasses.

Posted by: Last place for Redskins News, First place for Jasno Crap | August 31, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Jansen bombing is also an indictment of Vinny and his miserable draft.

Where was the anticipation of this development? Jansen must effectively be a cripple, and I understand that considering how bad that injury was.

We doubled-down on three out of shape WR's and now we're stuck starting a walk-on at Right Tackle. Atleast it's not his blindside...

How long do you think Heyer will last week in and week out? Given what we've seen, he's a marginal NFL player at best.

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:29 PM

Can you name the "three out of shape wide receivers" that we doubled-down on?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

If you hate the blog (and/or Jasno), then don't read it. Stick with the other blogs you think are superior.

If you think Chokey McShank "won" his job by punting nearly even with his replacement for less than 20 punts over a few pre-season games, then you didn't understand why a punter was drafted in the first place.

If you have disagreements or additional information, more than just bi'ching about the blog, let's discuss and share.

Final thought:
When the police are trying to escort you out, yelling, "Don't tase me, bro!" will probably get you tased.

Posted by: Captain Obvious | August 31, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:29 PM

How many tackles taken in the draft will be starting in week 1?

Who do you think we should have taken in the draft that would be able to start at right tackle in week 1 and play better than Heyer?

Posted by: motivator | August 31, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: Skip in VA | August 31, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What part of Heyer's limited NFL career has shown that he is a marginal NFL player? I believe he did OK in his rookie year. I recall a game in NY where he held his own against Strahan. Yes he did poorly in Seatle but so did most of the rest of the team. Many quality NFL players are UFAs including several beloved former Redskins.

Posted by: Lifelong Fan | August 31, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The player comments seem to indicate that this a permanent move.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 31, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Jansen bombing is also an indictment of Vinny and his miserable draft.

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:29 PM

Dude, your lost. Heyer can start in the NFL. He's not a finished 1st round product, but he can be one of the best with on the field experince.......

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

It doesn;t do my heart good to say I told you so, but Jansen has been done for some time. When I posted this a couple weeks back, the vitriol was absurd.
Next comment, JC is not the answer, especially for the WCO Zorn is implementing. He is a good kid, strong arm, but way too slow on the release. He'd be great behind an all-pro O-line, something the Redskins don't have right now.

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 31, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

what the hell took them so long to get rid of jansen.i been knew he was washed up.but this orginazation is a little slow.

Posted by: D.C. | August 31, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see this. Thought they should have started Heyer over Wade last year after Jansen got hurt. Probably would have fared better against Kerney in the playoff game with 15 starts instead of the four or five he had.

Posted by: Wetrunway44 | September 1, 2008 4:39 AM | Report abuse

Editors- have you noticed how sick of the biased coverage people are getting? The negative comments about Jasno have quintupled over the last couple of years. I used to defend Jasno, now I'm freaking sick of all the negativity. We want Barry!

Posted by: junki | September 1, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse