Thomas starts at wide receiver

Second-year wide receiver Devin Thomas replaced Malcolm Kelly in the starting lineup, his second start of the season. Thomas was the target on one of quarterback Jason Campbell's deep balls in the first quarter, a first-down play from Washington's 29. Thomas made a diving catch that might have gained 50 yards, but he was out of bounds.

"It was a shot we took," Thomas said. "We tried to take shots this game. For some reason, we can't link up."

Thomas finished without a catch, and he got the ball on a reverse that gained just two yards. Kelly played sparingly and also didn't have a catch. Six games into their second season in the NFL, the two have combined for 11 catches for 99 yards and no touchdowns.

()()()

Tight end Chris Cooley, who was coming off his first game without a catch since his rookie season of 2004, caught a team-high five passes for 57 yards. . . .

Defensive end Phillip Daniels played despite a torn bicep muscle in his right arm.
"It held up great," he said. "Great. I had no problems with my arm." Daniels was in on four tackles, including one of the Redskins' six sacks. . . .

Glenn Pakulak punted for the second straight game, replacing starter Hunter Smith, who was unable to go because of a groin injury. Pakulak punted eight times for a 35.8-yard average. Pakulak now has 13 punts for a 38.3-yard average and a 33.2-yard net. Smith, who could be back next week, has averaged 43.5 yards on his 13 punts with a 40.4-yard net.

By Barry Srvluga  |  October 18, 2009; 7:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis goes over 100 yards
Next: Zorn to give up play-calling (updated)

Comments

"WR-TE-WR"

[Copyright NateinthePDX, 2008, all rights reserved]

Posted by: 4-12 | October 18, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Hakeem Nicks has more yards and TDs than all our 2008 2nd rounders combined.

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: elfreako | October 18, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

who cares?

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 18, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Even though Thomas caught the long pass (out of bounds - not his fault), it might be time to give Marco Mithcell some playing time at wide receiver.

Posted by: cannontl | October 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"Hakeem Nicks has more yards and TDs than all our 2008 2nd rounders combined."

So does the punter Smith, lol!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Oops, used a naughty word. Here's the edited version of attempted post:

As Jarvis Cocker sings, "The c*nts are still running the world." Or, at least running the Redskins.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | October 18, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Had to re-post this one...

Philip8,

You are making the rest of us conservatives look bad....... you are an idiot, even if it is enveloped in sarcastic narcacism...

Jim still our Coach?

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

How hard were you'all laughing when Zorn wanted to challenge the fumble pile up that resulted in Chief ball...

Priceless.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I do love that receiver of big pass-catchers, 4-12, and I remain so impressed that Vinny had the presence of mind to pick them.

Like everyone who pays attention to the Redskins, Vinny knew that, coming off the playoff loss in Seattle and Joe Gibbs' departure, this team was just one player away from being truly great. And that one player was a big pass-catcher.

Sure, sure, these picks were justified (and continue to be justifiable) as "best player available," but the brilliant audacity of picking three guys for one role remains impressive.

Yes, Vinny blew all our minds by selecting not one, not two, but THREE big pass-catchers. You can't argue with the ensuing success this team has enjoyed.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

i agree with rich20ssu. i dont care if haynesworth lines up at WR. SCORE SOME DAMN TDS!!!

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

losses to the lions? panthers and chiefs? keep it up boys. 6pts against the chiefs... west coast offense!!!!!! terrible in every way

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | October 18, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

... and all we're left with is bitterness and dismay, compounded by the helplessness of knowing nothing we say or do will affect Dan Snyder's ongoing ownership and mismanagement of this team.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

It is almost impossible to be a WR playing in a NFL game and not get at least one catch. Opponents should study these guys' cover corners b/c obviously they play perfect techniques.

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 18, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL I feel bad for the WaPo beat writers. They have to post stuff and it has to be about the game.

It's like Saddam Hussein's spokesman in 2003 during the US invasion. He's standing front of cameras telling the world how the imperialist cowardly Americans are being repelled by the brave Iraqi forces and how great victory is assured for Iraq meanwhile on the opposite screen you see tanks rolling into Baghdad and nary an Iraqi soldier in sight.

We are so losing to Philly next week now that they lost to Oakland.

Posted by: sfskin | October 18, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I believe Snyder wants to win. Otherwise, he wouldn't spend the kind of money that he spends. Hopefully, he gets tired of being the joke of the NFL. At some point, I beg/pray/wish/hope he has to see that his way is not working.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Priceless.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't believe he was trying to do that, I was watching and so thankful the refs saved him from his own stupid azz. What was he possibly thinking? Same thing on not kicking the FG at the end of the half......twice a week he makes really really stupid decisions that basic pee-wee coaches wouldn't do, this guy has been in and around fuzball his whole life, is he just a moron?!?!?! I don't get it, either he's making decisions from a position of desperation and that's causing him to do dumb things or he's just an idiot. Your FG kicker is perfect on the season and you're in range for a 53 yard game knotting kick and you throw a hail mary that if it wasn't for Heyer making a tackle would have been run back for a TD, Heyer saved him from being fired at halftime, if that INT had gone all the way back he might not have been allowed in the locker room. Then he tries to waste a timeout when we need to stop the clock and it was beyond obvious that there was no possible way to tell anything in a pile up recovery.....he's just an idiot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 18, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder (and Vinny, "Wormtongue" is he on the Jerry Jones payroll or something!?) have turned the Redskins into the Rams.

Dan Snyder and his cherubic oh-so-slappable face, can't keep his tiny dck in his khakis and delegate to someone who knows what the f-ck he's doing.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 18, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

So do we think Snyder is going to tell the world in person he fired Zorn or send out a minion? Cerrato should be hauled in front of the media and forced to answer questions.
Does he on his stupid radio show?

Posted by: sfskin | October 18, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

how are they supposed to catch the ball when they don't get any passes thrown their way? thomas got one, which JC led him out of bounds, then not another pass the rest of the game, kelly got none, and Davis caught 1 for 12 yards, but then after that was never thrown to again....its not smashing atoms, throw the ball to these guys and let them make plays...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 18, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

okay I have calmed down and sobered up kinda.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I am not so sure that Snyder won't hear it, Nate. I'm not so foolish or naieve to think he has his pulse on the wrist of Redskins Nation. But the outrage is beyond palpable. I think a stadium 2/3 full, presumably dropping sales and an undeniable disgust enveloping this town has to sink in at some point....right???? Please tell me I'm right

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

When Marko Mitchell starts at WR let us know, otherwise D.Thomas starting didn't amount to a dam thing. M.Kelly playing didn't amount to a dam thing. Portis going over a 100 didn't amount to anything.

Dan Snyder and Vinny DooDoo running the Redskins hasn't amounted to anything. The last 10 years the Redskins haven't amounted to anything.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 18, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Lame, lame, lame. The Redskins "Insider" is as as exciting as the Redkins on third and short.

WHO CARES? PLUS . . . WE KNOW. We're not retarded.

Do you think we're that stupid?

Hey - late breaking Redskins "Insider" news: FedEx Field was built in 1997.

Posted by: SanDiego3 | October 18, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

lol Alex. then it really hurts

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 18, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Snyder doesnt realize how lucky could be this coming offseason. If this CBA doesnt get signed, he'll be given the opportunity of a lifetime to do an INSTANT rebuild. he can trim off nearly $100 MILLION of bad signings and huge back ends of contracts (Samuels, Randle El, Portis, DeAngelo, Randy Thomas) and suffer for only ONE season by incurring a lot of DEAD cap space. That ONE SEASON will allow any new, reputed coach/GM to come in and acquire talent to support a solid defense. Most teams rebuild for several years because they are not able to absorb such cap hits and remain profitable. Snyder is lucky that he has the #2 most valuable franchise in america and can overcome such financial woes with relative ease.
Message to Snyder: IT'S NOT TOO LATE. HIRE A NEW COACH AND GM.

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Are these receivers not catching because they're not open? Or because they're just not throwing to them?

What the heck is going on?

I see teams picking up guys on Wednesday who then catch 3-4 balls on Sunday.

This is maddening. It really is.

And I don't mean John Madden either.

Or maybe I do. Imagine Madden on a 747 flying cross country? Crazy mad.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2009 7:28 PM

I think Danny is going to have to start listening to the fans and sports writers, because he is in the beginning stages of losing them and that will affect his pocket book.

Posted by: cannontl | October 18, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

72, agreed, when mitchell starts and gets the same number of balls his way as kelly did today, he'll take it and go in for 0 touchdowns....guaranteed....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 18, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

For the very first time as a Redskins fan, I actually was pulling for my team to lose.

I have come to the realization that we have to hit rock bottom to effect any kind of change in the way the front office has managed this team.

I am so tired of the abysmal product I see every Sunday and have seen all of my adult life.

Call me out if you want but I don't care. We are the worst team in the NFL right now.

Posted by: fpickering | October 18, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

BG: say it with me....they suck. they can't get open.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 18, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I had a great seat at the game today (got it really cheap outside the Metro station), and it was clear to me that either the WRs weren't getting open very often or the QBs never saw them if they did. And that's everybody, not just Thomas and Kelly. Both QBs had time to go through their reads on most plays but ended up mostly checking down. The Chiefs didn't actually generate a particularly good pass rush.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 18, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

cL, I am in denial about that...until I see them perform under a coach that knows how to game plan and call plays I will believe that they and other players are not being used to their potential.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Message to Snyder: IT'S NOT TOO LATE. HIRE A NEW COACH AND GM.

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

excellent post and what I've been trying to say for a while. Snyder has one last shot with me, if he man's up and owns it, realizes his way hasn't worked and hires a real GM or a real Coach/GM and gives them total football related decision making authority I'm fine with him. If he goes through this debacle and just fires Zorn hires some other puppet coach and keeps himself and Vinny involved with decisions, I'm done. I will always hope the skins win but no more following, no more caring, no more watching, and no more gear sporting or money spending on Dannyboy's play project.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 18, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

That clears things up.

Maddening, I say, maddening.

Sorry for the snark...it's just like swine flu - it's, er, catching.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Campbell's inability to throw on-time, in-rhythm, and accurately has more to do will the WRs not catching balls than their route running.

Collins came in and immediately completed a long throw to Moss. Hopefully, he'll be better after a week of practice with the starters..

Posted by: siris | October 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fpickering | October 18, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

ONLY one problem with this statement.... the part where you say "right now".... I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. Most had hopes that a QB change and we'd be better off. However, I have been saying that is NOT the problem. Going back to Merril Hoge and his observations about the scheme is junk.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

cl, sorry, I don't buy it...the scheme sucks, and doesn't take advantage of the other teams weakness...ARE goes from a great game 1 to an after thought ever since, they're double-covering moss, but these guys can't get open, sorry, I don't buy it....kelly is the possession guy, but this is the first week we've sent the speed guy, thomas on the go route that kelly's been running, JZ is over his head and hasn't the slightest clue how to run a team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Again, that assumes they won't sign names and ignore the essentials.

Yeah, you need big time players especially at the skill positions.

But it's the guards and second string tackles and solid linebackers that put the star players in the position to win games.

Star players win games; solid players elsewhere help them be able to win those games.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't disagree, no me gusta zorn.....but you have a blind spot about wr-te-wr....they suck to.

its not either/or it both.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 18, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

=======================================

Is there any point, Michael, when you might get a glimpse of an idea that the conservatives you have voted for have raped this country hard and repeatedly, and now we're in a world of hurt because of that?

Just checkin'.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | October 18, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX
--------
Expand upon that, Mr Nate. I'd love to hear an ode to misery now, and you seem like you can fit the bill.

Posted by: sugarstreet | October 18, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Well the good news is the Redskins season is now over and we can move on to a winner in this town. LET'S GO CAPS! ROCK THE RED!

I would not boycott a NFC East opponent so I think we should boycott the Broncos game. Stay away on 11/8.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 18, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

BG: say it with me....they suck. they can't get open.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 18, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

This I disagree with CL. Thomas was open deep and JC threw the ball out of bounds. We all know JC locks on targets and now our Oline is so bad its tough to get open in 2 seconds with a QB that can't make hot reads. Collins coming in cold with essentially no reps since preseason had only 14 yards less than JC did in an entire half on only 6 completions. I still don't see Collins as a savior or the answer or anything like that. But I do truly hope he gets the reps and the starts the rest of the way. At least we'll finally know if it is the guys not getting open or if JC is that bad cause Todd makes good decisions and gets the ball to the open guy. downside, Todd has no mobility and we might have the worst line in the league, so who knows but I refuse to believe that all 3 of these guys who were stars at major programs in college simply are unable to play at this level. It would be an epic failure of amazing proportions if they whiffed on Kelly, Thomas, Davis, and Rhino, the odds of that are astronomical.

This season is lost, Zorn and JC are gone, everyone knows that, I say can Zorn now, start Collins, play Mason and Alridge, let Sherm Lewis implement some real west coast offense with a QB who is very much suited for it, and lets see what we've got. Zorn is possibly the worst NFL coach ever, honestly. Cerrato sucks for sure, but Zorn is bad, predictable, stupid, and just not a leader. Lets see what happens with a QB who makes full progressions, doesn't play favorites, and we have a legitimate Oline (that will have to wait till next year) before we declare all those 2nd rounders busts.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 18, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Make that 11/15

Posted by: croftonpost | October 18, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Thunder,

If the conservatives have raped the country, what do you call what this admin is trying to do w/ my money? I will always disagree w/ wealth re-distribution. It has never worked in the history of society.... ( NOW BACK TO FOOTBALL )

Is Jim Zorn still our Coach?

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Thunder,

Is Jim Zorn still our Coach?

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

cl, if the scheme sucks, and it puts the players in a position that doesn't allow them to make plays, how is that they suck?? Merill Hoge reviewed the plays against TB and stated that they were running curls, which are great against man, but terrible against zone, Tampa just happened to be playing zone. So right off the bat, they're in a no win situation. how is that on them?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 18, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Sandiego3, if you don't like the work they are doing at ri then stop reading. Pick up a book, go for a walk, just stop b!tching about it. There are 8 thousand NFL websites to read, find one.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Our WRs generally run terrible routes and even when they are open either the QB doesn't see them or doesn't have time to deliver the ball. JC can't throw a long ball consistently. How many times does he lead the WR out of bounds on a long pass or just plain misses the target? This bunch of players is just bad. Zorn wears too many hats, Head coach, offensive coordinator, calling plays, QB coach, etc. It's no wonder his game and clock management is so bad. He can't concentrate on the big picture. I like JC but he's not getting it done. Not blaming him totally but he's as good as he's going to get and that's not very good. Zorn, like him too, but he needs to go. Riggo is right, not a very good head coach. O-line just putrid. How can these guys be so bad? It's a jail break almost every time the ball is snapped. Heyer was beaten like a drum all day. If these guys can't be coached up any better than this, gut the whole sorry bunch.

Posted by: jfoster13 | October 18, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

uhoh drunken political debate going on.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 18, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Beantown,

I agree 100%. What are the odds that Davis, Kelly and DT are draft busts? Those would be long odds. Not saying it is impossible, but there is no creativity in this scheme. Where are overloads routes in all of these Zone D's that we are playing against? Zorn has no clue how to make adjustments, nor do his inexperienced Assistants.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

zj, my thoughts exactly....

rose is off the sanchez bloom in ny...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 18, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

It might be time to start a letter writing campaign to Daniel Snyder.

He seems like a smart guy. He has to know that the logical thing to do would be to hire a GM and let him do his job.

Then allow that GM to hire the coach and allow the coach to hire his staff.

Pretty simple, really.

Posted by: fpickering | October 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

DT11 started. CP got 100.

WGAF???????

Glad to hear that boy Phil didn't hurt his arm. Way to Man Up, Phil. Thanks.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

That is the one thing that I regret not doing today..... drinking. Ok, two things... remembering the game is the other

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

when you throw five interceptions...bad interceptions...

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Zorn keeps stating that his scheme is solid. If he's still the head coach at the end of the season with a 2-14 record, he'll still claim that his scheme is solid. Hey but we all know that his dumb a## will not be around very long. He can take his solid scheme and flush it.

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 18, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

OT: wow, this is very very interesting news. Completely non Redskins related. But, this is very big news.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Well Sanchez is truly playing like a rookie tonight.

As far as the skins go, the only way they win another game this year is if Zorn is no longer the play caller, or the defense scores a TD/game. I think offense will be in a better rhythm with Collins, but they won't score many more points because the play caller is that bad.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness we have RI to tell us how many yards CP had and who started at WR of a game WE ALL WATCHED. What ever would we do without that great reporting.

Posted by: RiceandGravy | October 18, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Wealth distribution - had Bush not instituted the tax cuts, social security would be robust for many years to come. It is the single biggest factor in bankrupting soc security - the tax cut.

Wealth distribution is fine with you, if it's the rich getting richer. Forget about the people who were going to depend on soc sec being there for them.

Posted by: sugarstreet | October 18, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

C'mon guys, no politics.

No current events unless, y'know, something horrible happens.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy but this is still a diversion, an escape from things.

Yeah, some diversion. I feel like Howard Beale.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Thunder,

Is Jim Zorn still our Coach?

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 7:55 PM |
===================================

We've got a 12 trillion dollar deficit. Two thirds of that was run up by G.W. Bush and Dick "Deficits don't matter, Ronald Reagan proved that" Cheney.

And most of the other third was run up by Ronald Wilson Reagan, himself.

That's what happened to 'your money'. And mine.

As for your back to football idea, sure. Dan Snyder is to the Washington Redskins as G.W. Bush was to the U.S.A.

Who knows how long before either can recover?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | October 18, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe,

Don't tease us with the "BIG NEWS".... we really expected some changes tonight...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Bills got jobbed...guy caught the ball. replay gets too ticky tack in my opinion.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

wow, peter king is reporting that Vinny has asked (?) zorn to give up play calling duties!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

no more play calling for zorn

Posted by: mohawk44 | October 18, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Quit with the damn politics!!!! This is not a political post, damnit!

Posted by: jfoster13 | October 18, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Big fat Peter king says vinny told zorn to give up play calling. Maybe zorn should tell vinny to give up player picking.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

There's only one hope for the Redskins to be a quality team in the future, and it's been said here a million times already...so I'll say it again. It's for Snyder to wake up, smell the coffee, and hire a quality GM. Until that happens, all the b.s. about Campbell vs. Collins, sorry o-line vs. bad QBs, bad QBs vs. lousy receivers, Zorn, etc. etc. etc...all that means diddly poo.

Also GM has to be first. None of this big-name coach/GM stuff. Almost never works. Gibbs 1.0 flourished in part because of Mr. Bobby Beathard, who not only was instrumental in hiring Gibbs in the first place, but was also involved in putting together 7 Super Bowl teams, 4 of which produced championship rings (going back to Chiefs in '66, then Dolphins '72 and '73, Skins '82, '83 and '87, and Chargers '94).

So GM is the first and most important hire to make. Wilbon wrote and interesting column about potential GMs on the market next year. The bottom line is Snyder needs to get out of the way and hire an outstanding GM to run the show. Only then should a coach be hired, and the GM should have a big say in that. This is crucial, because a big problem with Skins in Snyder era is that GM (if Vinny can be called that) and coaches have not been on same page. So we get players who fit Gibbs mold, for example, then hire a W.C.O. coach (at least in theory) without having personnel to run that kind of offense.

Now, of course, this is more than likely a total fantasy. But at least if the Skins continue to suck (I feel you, long-time Skins fan who rooted for us to lose so we hit rock bottom), if attendance starts to drop off, etc., and the consensus among pretty much everyone in the game and at all connected to the organization continues to be that personnel decisions have ruined this franchise, then maybe, MAYBE, there will be a Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and the rest and Snyder will wake up and do the right thing.

Until that day, the rest doesn't matter because it will be the same old story over and over with the only question being will the Redskins be mediocre, bad, or god-awful?

Posted by: gringoinmiami | October 18, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Sycophant thinks he has it right:

Do you believe this idiot?

Posted by: bajadas | October 18, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1: where's the link?! This is a huge story!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 18, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Social Security in itself is redistribution..... when can people be accountable for there own paths in life. Dems want to save the world, and I have to pay for it... I work 70-80 hrs and make a nice wage for it... I would rather not share my check w/ anyone other than my family and the charities of MY choice, not the community organizers choice.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

While I agree that Zorn should give up play calling, Danny and Vinnie are the last people on Earth who should be offering Zorn any football-related advice.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Clegg... OT: Completely non Redskins related should have been the first couple of clues.

The actual link that had the ending "iran guards attack" was another big clue.

Next time I'll try to be more obvious.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Loaf Of Tatupu out for the season for the Seahawks. Torn pectoral muscle.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

King was just on Sunday night football.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2009 8:10 PM

One week too late. Now, was that a recommendation from Sherm Lewis?

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Dungy says Zorn should tell vin/dan that they hired him to do a job and that he will do it his way.

Dungy may have helped zorn get fired...

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

That clears things up.

Maddening, I say, maddening.

Sorry for the snark...it's just like swine flu - it's, er, catching.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 7:44 PM

That's ok, I do like to cover all my bases, I guess. :)

I was mostly trying to point out that Thomas and Kelly were not uniquely inept today. Thomas is tall enough that he should be able to outjump the CB if our QB would just get the ball within a reasonable distance over him.

Getting such a close-up view of the game showed me what everyone has been talking about in describing Campbell as inaccurate. He really is. Unfortunately, Collins was little better in that department today. Some of his throws in the second half were laughable. Way too many passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 18, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

King was just on Sunday night football.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1

oh, okay. I hope Zorn gives up the duties!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 18, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

It was still a tease....... I need more news suitable for the change of this freakin' awful franchise

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Peter King is on the NBC broadcast reporting this... Probably an article on cnnsi.com/nfl later...

This is the right decision, but once again, they blew how they announced it.

Why not let Zorn annouce this on Monday and make it look like him taking pro-active action to fix the team?

Now it just looks like Zorn's not in control. Do Dan and Vinnie *want* Zorn to lose the locker room?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

You're right on gringoinmiami but I can't get past the idea that these are supposed to be professional football players and should be putting in a better effort. There are loses and then there are Redskins loses. Three loses to winless teams? Cmon! How can this collection of overpaid players be this bad? I can't see any decent head coach wanting to walk into this disaster!

Posted by: jfoster13 | October 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Yep, and the West Coast offense (or whatever it really is) is, as I understand it, based on precision, accurate quick passes. And quick reads.

Something Campbell can't do.

They're fitting a system onto players that can't do it.

It's not a novel observation, a hundred guys here have made it before.

Why can't they?

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

THE UNCAPPED YEAR WILL NOT HELP THE SKINS NEXT YEAR. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY THE MIDGET HAS TO SPEND. THE REASON BEING IS THAT THE PROVISIONS PUT INTO PLACE FOR THE END OF THE CBA RAISED THE NUMBER OF YEARS BEFORE A PLAYER CAN BE A FREE AGENT FROM 5 TO 6 YEARS. THIS WILL BE THE WEAKEST FREE AGENT CLASS EVER. TEAMS ALSO GET ADDITIONAL FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION TAGS. THE ADDITIONAL YEAR OF SERVICE ENSURES THAT THE ONLY FREE AGENTS WILL BE OLDER VETERANS COMING OUT OF A CONTRACT NOT THAT THE SUPERSTAR YOUNG GUYS COMING OUT OF THEIR ROOKIE CONTRACTS.

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Johnny,

Zorn doesn't have the locker room. Imagine in your line of work, your boss giving you specific direction, however, you know he won't be your boss soon. How likely are you to run through the proverbial wall for the lame duck?

Not likely.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

rachel said "duties".

Its an apt description of the redskins.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

This is the right decision, but once again, they blew how they announced it.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Vinny or Danny would call King and let him in on this scoop? I don't. This organization has a lot of loose lips. It's part of what is wrong with the culture at redskins park.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

sugarstreet, had I subjected myself to watching this abomination of a game, no doubt I'd be fighting through an alcoholic haze right now trying to find the words to express the bitterness and despair. But I didn't. Spent the day with the family, no regrets about that at all.

What an abysmal season... is this, losing to the 0-5 Chiefs in our building, unable to score a touchdown, our two best O linemen already out for the season, the switch to Collins not generating anything, etc... is this rock bottom? Could it get worse than this?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI |

PK said he had just hung up with Vinny. Seems like he has the # to Redskins FO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg: "Against the 32nd ranked NFL defense--a team that had been allowing 27.6 points and 402.8 yards a game, we saw what disaster looked like. It looked like a cold, wet, smashed hot dog bun that's been run over by a Hummer, stomped on by a marching band, doused with lighter fluid and then smeared onto the side of a porta-potty."

I don't care what anybody says...that is magnificent use of the language. LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

The uncapped year will allow the Redskins to do one thing. Cut a lot of dead weight.

There might not be as many young free agents on the market due to the rules that go along with an uncapped year, but it will allow them to get rid of:

Randle El
Randy Thomas
Smoot
Absorb Samuel's retirement
And so on.

Allowing who ever they do bring in as coach to start with somewhat of a clean slate.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

PK said he had just hung up with Vinny. Seems like he has the # to Redskins FO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 8:23 PM |

Damn that's pathetic. Vinny's got to go.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

You heard it here first. John Riggins brought in to be fresh set of eyes for owner. Zorn safe for 1 more week. John and former QB Sunny Jurgenson (sp?) will huddle with owner after Iggies game to make decision as to rest of year.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I would pay every penny I have to kick Vinny Cerrato square in the testicles as hard as I can.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Sonny when they were down on the KC side of the field after Portis' long run and then they throw three straight times. Sonny said, "How'd do you get down there in the first place, and now you're going to throw?" This coach has no clue.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI |

PK said he had just hung up with Vinny. Seems like he has the # to Redskins FO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Ditto.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

jfoster13, I think it ultimately boils down to personnel. Yes, we have some talent on the team, although it's mostly on defense (and our defense is actually not bad; sure we gave up some long drives today, but with the horrible offense and their constant 3 and outs, something's got to give), Skins are seriously lacking in talent on the offensive side.

But more than that, or perhaps equally as important, the Skins personnel isn't put together in any way that make sense. Players don't complement each other, there's no overall vision guiding player selection. Many championship teams don't have the largest number of pro bowlers or best players in their position, but they complement each other.

Of course, coaching is huge too. There's no question hiring Zorn was a ridiculous decision; anyone with half a brain saw that, but us fans hoped Snyder had picked a winner in spite of himself. We hoped against evidence that Snyder chose to go all in with a 7-high hand and would somehow, with major luck, win. But here again a top-notch GM is key. Hiring the right head coach, not just "the best available", but one who will work well with the GM and the overall philosophy of the organization is crucial.

In other words, I'm talking about transforming the Redskins into a successful, winning football organization, not just a money-making machine (although Snyder may learn sooner rather than later that consistently horrible teams will affect his money).

Posted by: gringoinmiami | October 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

So who thinks that Zorn will not relinquish his play calling duties, thereby allowing the skins to dismiss him as HC?

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

2-14.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere, Hemingway is impressed.

That's Bernie Hemingway, a dentist in Topeka.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

__________________

That was my first line of thinking, that it was a power play to get him to quit or refuse and give one more reason to be fired.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

NEWSBREAK

Vinny seen with Coach Medium at bowling alley going over next weeks strategy.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Read this exchange between Larry Michael and Vinny.... ( Hard to believe he was really asking his boss these hard questions )

"Vinny you catch a lot [of heat] over the weeks in terms of the roster, where this team is," Michael began. "But take a look at the offensive line, this has your stamp on it today. You've got Mike Williams, a project that YOU picked up as the guy making the decisions on the team, he's the right tackle. Stephon Heyer is to the left. Will Montgomery, another Vinny Cerrato guy. Derrick Dockery, you brought him in this year. So this offensive line today has your stamp on it, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," Cerrato agreed, his voice literally cracking. "Well, it did with Chris Samuels in it, too. I mean, the same, you know, last week, Mike Williams was playing right guard, and Heyer was playing right tackle, and Samuels was playing left tackle, so that did too. So, you know, I don't see what that really matters, Larry."

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

How many think Snyder doesn't even have the common decency and stones to actually fire zorn? He probably wants to emasculate him into resigning so he can save the money from his salary.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Gringo in Miami is absolutely 100% correct.

Posted by: sugarstreet | October 18, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:26 PM

This is a destitute homeless person with $3 to his name.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 18, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe, is that in Hawaii? I don't know.

I agree with you, though. It's the slimey way out.

Posted by: sugarstreet | October 18, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

do u know alot of homeless people with internet connections and computers talent?

what a ma-roon.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes Kaneohe is in Hawaii; Windward Oahu.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

srobert, i thought the uncapped year would help a lot, because we could cut a lot of the overpriced vets and still sign young talent (draft picks) without the dead cap space affecting our salary cap status. from what i read, the dead cap spade takes effect for only the one year after the player is cut, and signing bonuses are not included in the salary cap...that would mean that a new GM could unload the veterans and their massive salaries and not feel the pain of potentially 20-30 Million of dead cap space. am i totally wrong, or is that how it works?

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

JZ and TC seen in downtown dingy bar drinking doubles with box of kleenex between them.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 18, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Skins management have no brains
Skins players have no heart
Skins fans have no hope
Wings spread in sunset

(I put that last line in for show)

Posted by: isnadd | October 18, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

sorry that shud read JC.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

It's about freaking time they brought TC in. Sorry about the loss, but it's hardly surprising with everything else going on.

Let's not get embroiled in a QB controversy this week. Just give Collins his snaps with the first team during practice this week -- and keep Campbell's backside firmly planted on the pines.

Maybe Sherm Lewis can even develop or call a few plays specifically for TC's skillset.

Is Jeff Garcia still available?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

"WR-TE-WR"

[Copyright NateinthePDX, 2008, all rights reserved]

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

at least all the NFC East teams lost today. that felt good. and it was nice to see the ravens lose too.
3 favorable results, and 1 unfavorable result.

i think today was a good day.

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:26 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:38 PM

No, and I don't know anyone with more than three dollars who would "pay every penny I have to kick Vinny" anywhere.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Offensive line seen at Steak House. Heard to be saying (isn't life great. All this and we get paid good too. 5 ton could only nod his head yes as he had 2 porterhouses in his mouth, signalling for another round.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

The uncapped year is an opportunity, IF Snyder is smart enough to make major personal changes in the way he choose to run the football side of the front office. I have my doubts.

Blowing out the ARE, CP etc etc etc salaries is only a good thing if he brings in a quality GM and a Coach who have the vision to rebuild the team. Two OT, a G and a SS LB would be moves 1-4 and go a long way toward moving this team in a positive direction. Let Colt take the abuse until the line is in order before bringing in a franchise QB in year 2 or 3.

I think we fans all know that a major restructuring is needed, unfortunately all we can do is hope that Snyder a0 realizes this as well, and b0 has the discipline to make the requisite moves and stay the hell out of the kitchen while the project unfolds.

Again, I have my doubts.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn should quit and leave this mess to the people that created it, if it is really true that he has been asked to give up his play calling duties.

Posted by: cannontl | October 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Heyer got blowed up by Hali for the essentially meaningless safety at game's end..

twas the mercy shot to the back of the head.

BLAM!

DEAD!

NO MORE PAIN!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

i think we HAVE to start TODD C. next monday night. lets' recap his 2007 season.
3 night games (vs Chi, @ NYG, @ Min), all huge wins, the last 2 were blowouts on the road. lets give him a chance on a Primetime game.

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

BLAM!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Cooley was seen walking up to his house as the front door opened. He was heard to say "Golly, babe you are hot."

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Johnny,

Not likely.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I would have thought so too, except that there *haven't* been any anonymous players complaining to the local media.

I'm still getting the impression that the players are behind Zorn (for whatever reason)... Of course, this week will be ugly and that may change...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato talking to Dan steinberg

On Chris Samuels: "I think he's, uh, you know, doing fine, you know. It's just a mental thing, that, you know, he's got to feel better mentally, you know, I think. And, you know, it just takes a little bit of a time."

Duh ! DUUUH ! Inspires a lot of confidence !
Did he go to high school ?

Posted by: dl51 | October 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

lets give him a chance on a Primetime game.

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 8:48 PM

----------

Me sorry, but this not answer.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

4-12, the false prophet.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato talking to Dan steinberg

Duh ! DUUUH ! Inspires a lot of confidence !
Did he go to high school ?

WHAT A F"ING LOSER !!!!!!!

Posted by: dl51 | October 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope the new GM can trade back from the number 3 or 4 pick and still grab 2 OT.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Willie,

How are you taking all "this," my friend?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato = Wormtounge. Pray for Snyder. Vinny on O-Line:

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:32 PM

Wow. That's to be dealt w/ in 2010.

Hope for '09 Today! Collins (does read progressions), 60.1 rating: Soup, 46.1. Each played a half. Play the best player.... Practice with the starters. God Willing 15-4 this season. Win the next game!

HTTR, HV!

Posted by: Realness1 | October 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Sherm Lewis is a great caller, start naming the plays B-17, O-64.....BINGO!!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 18, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

kman2. You are right that it will give the team a chance to dump a bunch of overpriced vets but it will be difficult to replace them with decent players as the free agent crop will be very weak. There will be a bunch of old vets that are free agents. The skins are also missing the draft picks for Jarmon and Taylor so there will not be an influx of drafted players. It would help to get them clear for free agent run the following year but next year's team would be worse than this year.

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Can we just take a second and imagine what it will be like when Drew Brees comes into town? They'll be angry cause they lost a game to us last year in which they dominated all the stats 'cept for the scoreboard.
I think they'll make Pats-Titans look like a close game.

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

There are some things are salvable on this team, but for the most part, we need to blow this team up to hell. First get a GM that knows what the hell he's doing. That GM needs to get a coach that's NOT running the west coast offense, this is the NFC EAST anyway. The East is won in November and December and its more than likely going to be play outdoors in frigid temperatures.

From tackle to tackle we need a new O-line. Some big nasty bruisers who aren't afraid to mix it up and get a personal foul once and a while. We need a big punishing back a la Earl Campbell, Riggo, Meril Hodge. We need a hybrid power back change of pace back a la Warrick Dunn, Joe Washington, Emmit Smith. To round out the backfield, a small pure change of pace back that can hit hole like a bat of hell, a la Sproles, Eric Metcalf, Cote.

As far QB, we need a pocket passing, play action fake, accurate deep ball thrower, A la, Bradshaw, Stabler, Brady. Keep Moss, ARE, Cooley, and Marko Mitchell as your throwing options. Lose Kelly, Thomas, and Davis.

Defense needs to get younger. Lose Smoot, Daniels, Griffin, and Wynn. Dump Rogers, and put Orakpo and LL in their natural positions.

Posted by: clark202 | October 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

____________________

I'm not concerned about the pick we lost for Jarmon, because he seems to be panning out. It's the trades for guys like Jason Taylor that definitely kill the team.

The problems with the offense won't be fixable in one year. They can unload some overpaid players. Lots of teams will. They can pick a few from that pool to fill a few gaps. The question will be who the hell is going to want to come here? That will depend on who Snyder pulls out of his hat as the next head coach.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 18, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

srobert1117,

gotcha. i agree completely with what you said. however, the thing that has PLAGUED this team for nearly a decade is that Snyder always extends his players contracts and cuts them bonuses (almost on a yearly basis) just to avoid salary cap problems, which has left the skins salary sheet with several players scheduled to get massive paydays in the near future. this would be a perfect opportunity to cut ties with them (not all of them, just Portis, Randle El, Randy Thomas, Samuels, Todd Collins)

Posted by: kman2 | October 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that needs to be blown up completely, is the offense. I think the defense is fine as is and will be for a few years if they can keep it intact. They could stand some youth behind Fletcher and another corner, but they don't need much on that side of the ball. They could win playoff games with this defense provide the offense was even AVERAGE.

Need a new offensive line and a quarterback. Then after that, see what else is needed.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 18, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Screw that, take Russel Okung. Trent Williams has been getting lit up lately. We need the best left tackle available. We should also be able to get a great right tackle at the top of the second round. I would rather have 2 great tackles than 2 ok tackles and a guard.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Put in MM for the rest of the season and he'll double the 1st + 2nd year productions of the 3 amigos.

Posted by: Keiser | October 18, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

_____________

I agree. Take two tackles first. Will all depend on what happens and who's actually available in free agency though.

The thing that scares me is that Sam Bradford could very well fall in the draft with his rash of injuries this year. There's already been talk about him missing important work out dates because of it. If he's on the board you know this front office will be looking at him.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 18, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse