Thrash Decision Expected Before Training Camp

Veteran receiver James Thrash has not participated in workouts. Zorn said he is trying to overcome a bulging disc in his neck, and it's possible the injury could end Thrash's career at age 34 after a dozen seasons in the NFL.

"He's come along, and then he's had setbacks once he's really started the rigors of the offseason program," Zorn said. "He's backed off again, and he's trying to get that all together. He's as disappointed as anybody. I don't know where it's going to end up yet. But he certainly is good enough for us to wait and see."

Rosters must be at 80 players by the time training camp starts July 30. A decision on Thrash's future will almost certainly come before then.

"I'm waiting on his neck," Zorn said. "Based on how that feels, he's going to have to make a decision here one way or the other. I want to be patient with that, because he's a tremendous teammate, he means a lot to this organization, and a lot to all of us, and I think it's worth it to all of us."

Thrash, who has played five seasons with the Redskins, has caught only nine balls in each of the last two years.

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 4, 2009; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Landry Hasn't Returned Calls
Next: Betts Back on Track

Comments

Sorry to see this end like this, but it had to happen sometime.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just let him go out as a Skin, no Monk rerun

Posted by: ElYeah | June 4, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Thrash, your health is #1, please retire.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Special teams stud, our most knowledgeable player there since B Mitch.

Posted by: katiebabe461 | June 4, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

He's played the last 5 seasons for us, but you the writer forgot the first 4 seasons as a Redskin before his Philadelphia stint. He's actually played 9 years with us.
Sorry to see this. He is a great teammate, nice guy, and a hard worker.

Posted by: treidem | June 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We have enough receivers. Thrash could be hired as a coach at 1/10th the costs...

Posted by: knight1977 | June 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

somebody get dan snyder a "how do you do what you do" sit down with ted leonsis!!!

both have owned their teams about the same period...one is consistently average...the other was average...rebuilt...and is ready for multiple championship runs to come their way...i think the front office needs to realize this team can be a good, but not good enough to beat elite teams week after week in december and january. i want a return to the glory days and we're not close...

Posted by: carsonspence | June 4, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Selfish bastard. He's making millions and can't even show up for work, meanwhile regular Joe's are making $10 an hour and bust their ass every day. Spoiled athletes piss me off.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | June 4, 2009 1:16 PM

Your harshly made point is well taken. I'd note that a lot of Regualr Jo0es can't even get thos $10 n hour gigs, or were laid off from one.

This ain['t the sopranos. Football isn't a "No-show" job. Not going to practices is no way to become a fan favorite, and fan favorites fare better than reviled athletes--except at wideout.

In this economic climate, unless Landry was doing charity work or rescuing orphans in Uganda, he's gonna take a hit that could follow him a long time. Life after football benefits from being a fan fav too.

It's a snarky world, dude, make allowances.

Posted by: TheCork | June 4, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

If Thrash goes the damage won't be so significant on the field--but in the lockerroom.

Offense (Jansen, Kendall) defense (Marcus, Springs) and now special teams (Thrash, and maybe Cartwright) have each taken huge leadership hits.

That said, a bad back is nothing to mes with--especially not worth risking more damage near the end of a career that went far, far better than anyone ever suspected.

If his back is bad, I hope he retires as a Redskins, with honors and a classy goodbye.

Posted by: TheCork | June 4, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Thrash has been a contributor in both of his stints with the Redskins, but the team has better options now that are on the roster and healthy. They should give him a classy sendoff for his past contributions. He deserves the respect; however, it is time the team moved on.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 4, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

James Thrash is the type of young man that you would want as a friend, teamate, son-inlaw, you name it. Young players should emulate him on and off the field.

He was not a gifted athlete but with heart, and hard work he squeezed out every bit of ability his body could offer.

Sure, his meager skills had eroded in recent years but he was always prepared and when he stepped on the field I have no doubt he gave it everything he had. I hope he retires, it is time, and my best wishes to him and his family.

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thrash, your health is #1, please retire.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 2:21 PM |

That sounds like you want his roster spot to go to someone else.

I want him to play if his longterm health isn't effected and he earns a roster spot.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

4th its time, would rather have younger guys get reps....he earns his PT on things other than on the field play. Yes I want to get younger....sue me.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't claim to Know. But I will bet Thrash would be a better WR coach then Hixson. I say if he retires have him work with Hixson and Danny Smith as a combo WR/ST assistant coach and team motivator.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

He certainly deserves a spot with the team, if not him then who? Class Act all the way. Laron Landry take notes.

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Laron Landry is still young. Training away from the players is not unusual. Returning phone calls is another......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

not our primary receiver!

Posted by: dadanimal | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

What a difference in tone between this thread (Thrash Love) and the previous thread (Landry Trash).

Just to balance things out, I'm going to throw out some conjecture that Landry hurt his neck and that Thrash is sandbagging.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

As the lockerroom guy, Thrash is (I think) the NFLPA players' rep for the team. [For those of you who see the world in black and white terms, that means he's is the shop steward for the union.]

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

not our primary receiver!

Posted by: dadanimal | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM

But he did move up the depth chart last year to be the tertiary receiver ... which was its own problem. Because of Kelly's knee, necessity was the mother of infection.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM

Right.

Not only did Landry hurt his neck, but it was the same neck he uses to make phone calls. And Thrash's sandbagging, literally. He's putting sand in bags to build up the levees and save a small town in Missouri.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 4, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Cl - he also gets his man in the Offense as well. He juked out the supposedly good CB (not Henry) on that TD in Dallas last year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I can see a guy like Thrash wanting to play as long as possible. At 9 catches a year, its not like the football season is beating him up -- though I have no idea about where the neck problem occurred. But where else can he score the kind of coin he makes in the NFL?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea about where the neck problem occurred.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 3:03 PM

Do you think it might have been on special teams? That guy hits anything that moves and tackles anyone with a football.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 4, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

... At 9 catches a year, its not like the football season is beating him up -- though I have no idea about where the neck problem occurred. ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 3:03 PM

The guy plays on nearly every special teams play ... kind of hazardous duty if you ask someone like Kevin Everett.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

But where else can he score the kind of coin he makes in the NFL?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 3:03 PM

Sometimes the continuing ability to use four limbs has an allure greater than new coin.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Do you want Smoooot to play ST? I thought not.....

Lots of missed tackles...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This is going to end up becoming the football version of Old Yeller.

Posted by: ga8085 | June 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM

Yeah well I'm saying Landry hurt his neck not rushing the anawer calls from his coach and Thrash's sandbagging saved lives when rivers overflowed in FLorida.

Posted by: TheCork | June 4, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for not emphasizing that point years ago to a young Harvard defensive back named Steve "Big Bang" Hawking, who went out on the gridiron with a crick in his neck and came back a quadroplegic genius

Posted by: TheCork | June 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

James Thrash, solid, dependable player. It should be time to retire, he served this team well. I remember as a rookie he returned a kick for a touchdown (in a preseason game) in 97. I'm getting old.... Best of luck to you..

Posted by: timb67 | June 4, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The sand has run to the bottom of James Thrash's professional football career.

So who will be the 4th receiver?: another training camp battle to look forward to.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

A bulging disc can only be fixed with surgery. The swelling may go down and lessen the nerve impingement and thereby reducing pain and numbness in the extremities but the disc bulge will remain. Playing a violent contact sport with a buging is not a good idea.

As for Landry, its rude not to return your employer's call. At the same time, why are they calling him? These OTAs are voluntary and it annoys me that the paper and the team make a big deal about who's present and who is not.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey just seen Bram on Espn news...

Posted by: jiza32 | June 4, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timb67 | June 4, 2009 3:48 PM

Yo, I remember that too! I'm getting old. 30 is almost aprroaching me (13 more months)!

(Yes I put in that last part to make you older hamsters feel older)

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I remember reading Thrash's original jersey number was in the 40's and he was a WR.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think it was 47. And that PR for a TD in the preseason is what cemented his roster spot.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 |

They are only contractually "voluntary." They are an opportunity for a team to get better, and by getting better, thus improve its chances of winning when attendance is mandatory.

It also helps leadership plan, which is why, in the military, the sergeant politely tells his superiors about the status of his men: "All present or accounted for, sir!"

If checking out why your personnel aren't present (or reporting that fact) really annoy you, I suggest you don't coach sports or lead an Army.

Posted by: TheCork | June 4, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2009 3:51 PM

OTAs are the way that players, especially young players, get better in the off season. It's a team sport and he needs to be on the field with the rest of the team -- both for his good and for the rest of the defense. Sean Taylor got a lot better after he started taking the OTAs seriously, although that's not the sole reason for his improvments.

The Redskins have made a huge investment in this man, and his contract probably pays him a bonus to participate in the OTAs. So what if the OTAs are voluntary? Don't the team and its fans have a right to know whether the guy is going to volunteer or not and what his thinking is?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 4, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing I turned down the Naval Academy when they offered me that head coaching job 2 summers ago.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 4, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The OTAs are "voluntary [nudge nudge wink wink]", not voluntary. Big difference.
It's as "voluntary" as when you're pushing 40 and go to the doc to get your physical, and he snaps on that glove, and tells you to pull your knees to your chest. You don't have to do it, but you have to do it.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, welcome to the party, WaPo. They should give credit to the Times for this byline.

I think the potential leadership void in the locker room this year is a legitimate concern. They have lost a lot of veteran presence this offseason. And they have a bunch of young turks who need guidance...

Posted by: McMetal | June 4, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

He's not present because he doesn't have to be. To use your analogy, when a soldier is granted leave his sergeant doesn't call him and ask why he's not voluntarily doing PT or cleaning the latrine.

If Landry comes in to training camp ready to perform (which history shows he has done), no one will care that he wasn't here lifting weights or running around in his shorts.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: McMetal | June 4, 2009 4:17 PM

Yeah! Just yesterday I bet a guy at work $1000 that Thrash was gonna catch 100 balls this year and get 20 TD’s….if only WaPo had broken this sooner (I don’t read the times). DAMN YOU WASHINGTON POST! DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 4, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

deep, cheap

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

James Thrash has had a nice career but it's time to give these young receivers a chance. Last year Mix and Mcmullen were released in order to keep Thrash. Much respect Thrash but maybe it's time to go...you would make a good receivers coach

Posted by: pennstate1 | June 4, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Thrash, has always been a true Skin...and I really want it to work out, but the team is first and foremost..if he can contribute then great...he can be a third down and possibly a return guy again..but if not..please retire a Skin and show your personality that you have in the annoucments booth..

Posted by: SCPEGLEG | June 4, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse