Thrash Practices; Gibbs on Skins, Campbell

Barry Svrluga reports that, in the first 10 minutes of practice, James Thrash was on the field in pads and catching passes. London Fletcher was not on the field, but was in the locker room earlier.

Liz Clarke files this report on a Gibbs appearance in D.C.

Joe Gibbs touched down Thursday at the private airport next to Dulles, climbed into a black SUV and headed directly for northeast Washington, bypassing Redskin Park, his home for so many years.

It's doubtful Jason Campbell or any of Gibbs' former players knew he was in town as the Redskins gathered for practice. What brought the former coach back to Washington had nothing to do with football. Joined by Denny Hamlin, one of his three NASCAR drivers, Gibbs pulled up at Food & Friends on Riggs Road shortly after 10 a.m., donned an apron and set to work packing grocery bags to be delivered to people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.

Gibbs' participation was meant to highlight the charitable work done by the organization, which has provided home-delivered meals to more 17,800 area residents since 1988, and the support it gets from FedEx, the primary sponsor of Gibbs' No. 11 Toyota Camry. The morning of volunteerism was capped by the presentation of a Toyota Prius hybrid, which Hamlin took for a low-speed spin around the parking lot.

It has been eight months since Gibbs resigned for the second time as coach of the Redskins. And the team's fortunes are never far from his thoughts, he said, despite his return to the burgeoning NASCAR operation that bears his name.

Gibbs said he hadn't managed to watch either of the Redskins' two games this season in full, but was thrilled that Jim Zorn had earned his first victory as a head coach. "Mine took a lot longer," Gibbs said with his trademark self-deprecating laugh, pointing to his 0-5 start in his first stint with the Redskins.

He also praised the play of Campbell, calling him "the right quarterback for Washington."

Gibbs looked far more rested than he had as the 2007 NFL season drew to a close and left no doubt that he was sure he was now where he belonged, back in North Carolina, where his 3-year-old grandson Taylor continues his battle with leukemia, his younger son Coy has launched a motocross team, and his NASCAR team has three drivers in contention for the 2008 championship.

"I just felt like it was the right timing for me," Gibbs said, asked about his resignation from the Redskins. "When you coach the Redskins you're totally consumed; you don't have a minute. I didn't think it was right for me to do that again because it takes that kind of a commitment, and I couldn't be thinking about what's going on with the family and everything and do as good a job as I could have."

Asked about the effect that Sean Taylor's death had on his decision-making, Gibbs said that it had indeed played a role--although not as primary a role as his immediate family concerns.

"It's hard to separate something like that, how much that meant," Gibbs said of Taylor's loss. "It was more for me, family and [grandson] Taylor [Gibbs]. But those things kind of show you how fragile and short life is. You've got a 24 year old....I wind up saying things like, 'I'm going to take a vacation next July.' Hey, we're not guaranteed next July! For all of us, life is fragile. It goes by awful quick.

"Somebody asked Billy Graham, 'What is the most surprising thing about your life?' And he thought and said, 'How fast it went.'"

...

Steinberg reports that Theismann has weighed in on Portis vs. BMitch.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 18, 2008; 1:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache Preps for Cards, Addresses Injuries
Next: Kelly Puts in OT; Thrash Looks "Promising"

Comments

Campbell played well vs. 'aints but still needs to work on peripheral vision. He locked in on Moss on the winning TD pass. What will he do when the good teams take away his primary receiver?
Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 11:41 AM

Dang, when you can find the negatives on that play ... you're missing the point

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:18 PM

Realness, he did not lock into number 1, that was ARE.

Zorn said he didnt get all of the play in time. Cooley knew the formation, but had to call a play, adjust the protection and looked of the deep safety.

In other words HE WORKED IT... give credit where credit is due

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 1:25 PM

---------------

Please re-read the first three words of the original post and the Lombardi quote.

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"I cover what has been a losing franchise for the most part for what, 15 years now? And it is my job to bring to light why. Two individuals have been constants amid all the failure, while everyone else has come and gone." --- Snyder bought the team 10 years ago. The Skins first bottomed out under Cooke II. You should know that.

"I think it's beyond presumptuous of you to believe you can speak for thousands of readers, and if I'm doing my job diligently then I'm not going to be please everyone. I'm interested in journalism; I'm not a politician." -- It is against the ethics of most journalists to rely primarily on unnamed sources. You should know that too.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Campbell had one touchdown, and was repeatedly bogged down in the red zone against a depleted New Orleans defense.

This was hardly the type of game that makes any kind of statement, other than an average quarterback did what he should have done against a weak defense.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 18, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Good for you Gibbs 2.0.

Live the rest of your life in full. We'll be alright.....

Posted by: 4th | September 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

4 down lineman 3 lb 2 safties 2 corners. Basically just replaces a nicekle corner with a saftey. Great move to match the physical style of their recievers.

Posted by: Stu | September 18, 2008 1:44 PM

Wait, that makes no sense stu? thats not a "Cobra" thats a standard 4-3, they said Cobra is when we use 3 safeties. So it would have to be, I assume one of these:

4 DL, 2 LB, 2 CB, 3S
3 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB, 3S
4 DL, 3 LB, 1 CB, 3S

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Svrluga sez London Fletcher was not on the field; he was in the locker room earlier, though.
Theismann weighs in on Portis v. BMitch:

Posted by: Cindy | September 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 18, 2008 1:52 PM

-----------------

3 of 11 on third down and 1 for 1 on fourth....

"We strive for perfection and on the way, we shall attain excellence" - Vince Lombardi. Lombardi led the DC to a 7–5–2 record in 1969, their best since 1955.

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Still love the guy to death. I disagree with him wholeheartedly on his political views, but there is no doubt he is a good man with a big heart, and definitely one of my idols growing up.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 18, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 1:59 PM

"Parrots who can do nothing but quote me are not striving for perfection and can never attain excellence."

Posted by: Vince Lombardi | September 18, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Now thats a good interview with Joe 7 pack

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

""God says in His Word: It's like a mist, a puff of smoke. It's gone. So the focus for me, then, becomes on eternity, because this is real quick down here."

Ok, that explains "up here."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

take your butt out

Posted by: | September 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I T S G

Ignore the sports guru

Posted by: Great One | September 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is a good quarterback, but he has a lot of work to do. Yeah, he had a good game, but it was against a very depleted defense. The Saints were missing 3 starters on defense. This followed a very poor showing in New York.
He has the athleticism, but he needs to work a lot on his peripheral vision and poise in the pocket.

Posted by: Dave | September 18, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,
I agree. Backward looking politics, but you can't question his priorities these days.

Now, Vinny on the other hand...

Posted by: stumped | September 18, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, I admit it, I hate Vinny, Dan, Larry Michael, Sonny, Sam, Portis, Santana, Zorn, Campbell, Laron, Springs, Smoot, and everyhting else Redskins. I, as a Ravens fan, know what real winning is about. All of these other "long-suffering" franchises around the league that have only been to the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons couldn't begin to understand what I know. The Cowboys are the best team in the NFL, yeah, I know they haven't won a playoff game since Bill Clinton's first term, and that the Skins whooped their a$$ last season, but we all know championships are won on paper! Oh, sorry got to run, can't blog anymore because I have to run to one of my appearances on Washington Post Live. Oh yeah, I'm a big gay loser.

Posted by: Jason LaCanfora | September 18, 2008 1:40 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

LaCantReporta is at it again!!

The most jealous man in all of journalism, JLC. You've toiled as a beat reporter for the Skins while 3 of your peers have all gotten national and much higher paying jobs. Hell, even when Vinny was fired he got hired by ESPN to write for the website while you stay here talking about milkshakes, burgers and every lucky to be here player on the team because they are the only ones who will talk to a tool like you. Oh, by the way, Ton Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch 3 years ago. Time to get over that!

Just for your information Mr. LaCantreporta, while unprecedented having a 4 hour radio show, it's not ridiculous in the day to day lives of most GM's. Vinnie puts in very long hours at Redskin Park unlike you who is the first "Schlub" out of the building consistently says my sources at Redskin Park.

You're act is old little man!

Posted by: CVille | September 18, 2008 8:51 AM

BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS!

Jason LaCanfora, Washington Post Sportswriter, was just seen eating his 6th donut of the morning at Redskins Park. LaCanfora, an adult male who nonetheless wears sports jerseys as his main fashion statement, could not be reached for comment but sources at Redskin Park state that the 5th donut officially put Mr. LaCanfora over the Morbidly Obese levels as outlined by the US Dept of Health.

Also, after speaking to a person familiar with Mr. LaCanfora's tailoring situation, who wished to have his name witheld, Mr. LaCanfora will have to be coming up with some spare cash quickly to buy a new suit for his appearances on Washington Post Live. With his only suit having been let out, or made bigger, to fit Mr. LaCanforas bulging waste line, as the source said "there just isn't anymore room. He either needs a new suit or he needs to say no to the free food. But I doubt he can do that as he usually eats 5 dumdum lollipops everytime he walks into the dry cleaner. I leave them for the kids but I guess he thinks they're for him too."

Mr. LaCanfora was reached for comment but quickly had to walk away after a sudden gust of wind blew powder sugar in his eyes and he needed to seek medical attention.

Posted by: CVille | September 18, 2008 9:10 AM

Posted by: LMFAO | September 18, 2008 1:35 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Last time I will state this... JC was a better QB last week vs week one because of three things....

1) More time in the pocket

We took more sacks this week (2 vs 1) but the pressures were way down.

2) Better play calling

3) Established running game

No QB is good when being pressured. That is why you have a d line...

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey, here's an idea, why don't you start calling this blog Redskins Outsider? Or better yet, Anti-Redskins Outsider? Just because nobody over at the park puts up with your attention-craved rips on everything and everyone Redskin, all in the name of bogus "sources", don't try to carry out your vendetta in this forum. Also, don't believe you mean anything to the true fans out there; and as for you mindless morons who can't think logically for themselves and really believe the crap this hack puts out there, go root for another team. We don't need ya!

Posted by: ManWithThePlan | September 18, 2008 1:45 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Bog's Thiesman interview was classic!

Posted by: Dik | September 18, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey LaChumpfora,

Did you catch the game last week? Just another case of you being proven dreadfully, horribly wrong. You should stop acting as though you know anything about football, whether it's schemes or talent evaluation, or predictions, you really look like an idiot every time you open your mouth. I'm sure next week you'll be talking about how the Skins should have drafted DeSean Jackson, right? Of course if that had been done you would have ripped the entire FO and coaching staff up and down for drafting another small WR, etc. You should start wearing a mask every time you pick up a paycheck at the Post, because you are absolutely stealing their money with your worthless work.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:05 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who looks at week 1 and says JC looked horrible does not know the game of football.

With all those pressures he had ZERO turnovers.

His completion rating was good. he had no time and got the ball out, positive yards. Maybe not first downs, but again what do you expect.

Now no To in 63 pass attempts and 3 sacks... who wants to look up all the other starting QB's in the league and compare the stats?

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say this: You sit the Defensive Player of the Week?!

Sorry - missing logic here. And don't gimme this 'don't lose your job due to illness' crap, 'cause this ain't lil'league. Not everyone goes home w/ a trophy.

Posted by: Dik | September 18, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Zeeb, sho u rite.

Posted by: Dik | September 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Theesman interview a must read....

If your under 40, you need to skip the 1st 3 pararaphs. Don't even bother to read it. If you start, you will skip ahead like I tried to tell you.......

Posted by: 4th | September 18, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Not me 4th, my dad just was cleared of the ol protate cancers... so i gotta get checked earlier... dont think I told my PCP i turned 30 this year... bear down...

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it 4th, I am under 40.... oh wait now I get it, its has to do with the butt don't it.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

politics on RI is mad boring. hatin' on janso is mad boring.
sport-guru is mad boring.
this blog has gotten mad boring.

Posted by: sub fro cL | September 18, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I should definitely be starting. I talked with some of the defensive players I faced in the preseason and they agreed. I wish them well in their new career bagging groceries.
Everyone wants to talk about the long pass JC threw to Moss on Sunday. Hell, I could sidearm it down the field too!!! I just need the wind at my back and a 20 yard run up.

Posted by: Colt Brennan | September 18, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I saw now they can check colon cancer through x-ray's any luck on doing that with prostate?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Man, some of you guys really need to get a life with the J-LaC hate. Barno practically took over the chat today with his whining. Barno: you got your soapbox, and Jason answered your questions. Feel better now?

Posted by: OhGeeBarno | September 18, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, anyone seen what Colt's Madden ratings are? I don't have him in my version for PS2.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank God your pops is clear. Lost my mom at 61 to it.

JC's QB rating for the year so far - 94.3 (13th)

Kurt Warner's - 128.5 (2nd).

D needs to be ready.

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Can someone post the link to the chat?
Great stuff from Thiesmann.....love those stories from back in the day.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

this blog needs more Barno......and cowbell

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

[I'm a MAAan! I'm Fourty!]

I read the paragraphs intently! And now I'm researching female proctologists.

..zingaaa...

Posted by: Dik | September 18, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Realness, are you sure? Not trying to be insensitive if you thought we were talking about Colon Cancer... if you knew that then that was funny...

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 18, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: dlhaze | September 18, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:21 PM

No. The preliminary screening is with a blood test and if your levels of PSA are elevated, then the way they check for it is with a biopsy -- insert needles into your prostate and withdraw tissue samples. Usually 9-13 samples. They do it with an anesthetic, but it hurts.

The PSA test is pretty imprecise so there are lots of false positives and most biopsies are negative. But since the biopsy only takes 9-13 samples, you could still have it and just not get it caught by the needle. So, if the PSA continues to rise, you're back for another biopsy in a year.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 18, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave | September 18, 2008 2:06 PM

Agreed.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 18, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

4 DL, 2 LB, 2 CB, 3S
3 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB, 3S
4 DL, 3 LB, 1 CB, 3S

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 1:55 PM

Alex,

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the 4-3-2-2 was the normal 4-3 & not cobra.

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Cancer blows.

JC's QB rating for the year so far - 94.3 (13th)

Kurt Warner's - 128.5 (2nd).

D needs to be ready and pressure him all day.

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

OG Barno: I doubt you'll take a tough question like this, but here goes:

What do you think of Dan Snyder publicly calling out the Washington Post by name in his interview with Comcast Sportsnet last weekend? He, as well as thousands of WaPo readers, believe the Post is biased in its coverage.

I can't remember a beat reporter ever having so many questions asked about their objectivity before.

What do you say to all those critics who believe your coverage of the Redskins is intentionally negative?

Jason La Canfora: Unlike a lot of the people you are praise, I never duck the public or criticism.
And thus I hold them to a standard I would imagine any right-minded fan would. I think it's beyond presumptuous of you to believe you can speak for thousands of readers, and if I'm doing my job diligently then I'm not going to be please everyone. I'm interested in journalism; I'm not a politician.

You call me a beat writer, and I surely break news and do beat work but I have a blog that was established to provide analysis and commentary and I also write onfootball columns for the paper. On Comcast I provide analysis. Times have changes and we all wear many hats.

I don't cover the Redskins any differently than I did the Orioles, the Red Wings or the Caps. Go ask Peter Angelos, Mike Ilitch or Ted Leonsis. This is the big leagues.

Snyder can say whatever he wants. He also says he has nothing to do with the radio station. And he'll tell you he doesn't run Six Flags.
++++++++

You, go, Jasno!!!!

Posted by: Not Anonymoust | September 18, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Got it, sorry

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, what the heck is this alla bout? From RI:
Blah blah blah blah..............You kill this team for not having any public relations with the fans and for keeping to many things to themselves so they try to put themselves out there and be more accessible for the fans and to put themselves out there and you kill them. It must be nice to be someone whose never been ultimately responsible for anything in their careers other than being a beat reporter for a sports team. Oh, and make sure you tell Steinberg to stop posting most read writers on the paper, because for you to be 3rd in DC during football season while you've been here for 4 years and should have an established following is ridiculous. You're own paper should be closely monitoring this because the people of DC just flat out don't care to read you.
You're act is old little man!
Posted by: CVille | September 18, 2008 8:51 AM

Then from Jason's chat:
C'ville Va: I speak for thousands of Skins fans when I say that if I had the choice of giving away Jason La Canfora or giving away Dan Snyder, I wouldn't have to think for a second.
Don't let the fanboys get you down.
Jason La Canfora: No worries brother.
Like I said, it's part of the gig and something I came to grips with long, long ago.
Thanks for the support.

I smell a 2 faced troll.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 18, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

funny...Chumpfora, on his chat, feels that all of his criticism on this blog comes from 1 person posting using different names. Some folks truly struggle with reality.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jason's chat:

"The Redskins have a chance to make the playoffs"

Chance???? What kind of biased anti-Redskins talk is this. You must say that they will make the playoffs, if not you are just a hater!!!!

By saying that they only have a chance you show that you hate Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato. In fact, you probably hate Washington DC all together. You must even hate America.

We want true journalism. Our liberals tune to MSNBC for their support of the Democratic Party and our conservatives tune to Fox News for their support of the Republican Party. Their is no room for objectivity!!!!

How dare you say anything critical of this organization. And please stop using facts to back up your statements.

Posted by: Just trying to sound like every other idiot here | September 18, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:54 PM

I am Spartacus.

Posted by: Spartacus | September 18, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs 2 of the last 3 years seems like failure many teams would like to partake in.

Playoff wins in the past 3 years
Washington 1
Dallas 0

Does anyone claim Dallas is a failure? Or that Jerry Jones doesn't do the right thing? When Dallas wins everyone claims its because of Jerry. When Washington wins it's always inspite of Snyder. They seem to act very much the same so how can you have it both ways? In fact from the appearance of it all Jerry seems to be much more involved in personel then Snyder is.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Jibba is okay & even jabba is fine but these constant political comments, & just hating for the sake of hating are lame and a waste of time and blogspace. The blog,to me, is about the little patch of cyber earth where Redskins nation resides. Not the whole planet & all the problems therein.

There are many wonderful blogging opportunities for people to share their political views. Why take up our space?

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If Cobra replaces the nickel corner with a third safety, it would be a 4-2 front.

Posted by: Pat | September 18, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Dang, Will - quit making sense!

Don't you know 'sign chris cooley' has to vent?!

I'm with ya, Will. The sooner the trolls abate the better.

Posted by: Dik | September 18, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

On Moss returning punts: aren't PRs more dangerous than KRs and shouldn't he have more practice time before throwing him out there? He isn't the biggest fella in the NFL.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

All the JaLaCa haters and political obsessives are STUPID! The more they come on here and b!tch, the more likely the Post will KEEP JaLaCa.

The numbers people don't care what anyone 'says' it's the numbers that count. The ONLY way to get rid of JaLaCa is to never click on RI - at all.

Posted by: charlie | September 18, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:07 PM

I guess for the same reasons that I have to listen to Lost updates and see pictures of Chumpfora and friends engaging in gluttony at a Nationals game on "our space".

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 18, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

kick returns are far more dangerous there are two cases of paralysis int he past 1 and 2/16 years. I have never seen it happen on a punt return.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 18, 2008 3:18 PM

for echo?

Posted by: Geddy Lee | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:13 PM

Risk = Reward

Moss could just as easily get hurt on a catch over the middle. At least with punt returning he'll always have the play in front of him and he can go down before he takes a massive hit.

Posted by: Chris | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I heard Jason (if that is his real name) say once that he hates telemarketing calls. That is another attack on the holiness that is Mr. Snyder.

All objective comments about this organization are the work of Redskins haters and must stop!!!

Posted by: Just trying to sound like every other idiot here | September 18, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I've pretty much stayed away from the Jasno stuff. Until now.

Jasno does have a bone to pick with Skins mgmt and at times, he has been petty about it.

But the Spaghetti Gang has been nothing if not petty, and their dealings with the media in general are pathetic. Its pretty obvious that they want to control the message ... even to the point of owning it. They should know that backfires. Every time.

The core points that Jasno makes are usually solid. The extended track record of high spending with limited result is a fact. That rightfully colors the way this management team is viewed. Jasno is dead on with this and its a legit way to look at this operation.

There are plenty of legit criticisms that this mgmt deserves. The overwhelming majority of the criticisms that Jasno makes are rationa. Since they are his opinions, they will obviously be subject to debate. But if Vinny is really doing a talk show (I'm still not sure I believe that ... its that dumb), Jasno should express his thoughts on it.

My bottom line, he does a pretty good job, considering the Spaghetti Gang have pretty much said he can go screw himself. He has essentially no access to them. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they throw deliberately misleading stuff specifically at the WaPo staff. Petty stuff. If Jasno could lose the pettiness, he'll be better off.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I read the first part of Jasno's chat. Can anyone explain the differences between the cobra with its 3 safeties & the "cover 2 umbrella" he referred to & when you would use each one?

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

mad boring indeed....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 18, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

for that, he's not capable, AL. As most of you feel that this FO is incapable of changing, Chumpfora will never change either.

Best thing to do is for most of you to follow the chump as Ravens fans and for the rest of us to ridicule until you do.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:13 PM

Risk = Reward

Posted by: Chris | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM

Punt returners are looking up while guys are coming at them full speed. Its a high risk play and every time you don't fair catch, there is a good chance of a high speed collision.

Santana is an every down player. They may throw to him 6-10 times a game, but the other team has to respect him all 60 plays. You don't risk losing a guy for those 60 plays over the 3 punt returns he might give you.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Risk = Reward

Posted by: Chris | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM

What reward are we talking about? An extra 3 yards on punt returns? Maybe 1 punt return TD in the next 15 games? Would you really risk injury to the one proven WR commodity this team has for those rewards?

I could see if we were talking about Devin Hester here. We're not. Moss used to return punts, and he doesn't anymore. There's a reason for that.

Posted by: psps23 | September 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

will;

Cover 2 umbrella is two deep safeties which attempts to take away deep plays. one safety has the deep left. The other the deep right.

With ST and LL late last year and beginning this year, we were in a cover 1, where there is only one deep safety with the other playing near the LB's in run support (think Archuleta).

Cobra would be a hybrid of both given the nature of a pass happy team.

Our front 6 defends the run, safety #3 near them in support and to take away short dump offs to RB's. This then lets the other 2 safties cover the deep halves of the field.

The other version of this is simply nickel where it is 3 CB's instead of safeties.

We will probably switch between those two and dare them to try and beat us with the run.

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I've pretty much stayed away from the Jasno stuff. Until now.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 3:22 PM

"There are plenty of legit criticisms that this mgmt deserves"

Mr Snyder is not to receive any criticism.

Do you hate children as well????

Posted by: Just trying to sound like every other idiot here | September 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

kinda like the independents ridicule the liberals for their ever-consuming hate for this administration as opposed to offering un un-biased pragmatic approach to making this country better

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want to give up Moss the receiver for Moss the returner.

I just want a good 7-15 yards per return average. That's how B-Mitch used to do it ;) 3 time all-pro. Only 13 TDs for his career.

Return game is about consistency, not flourish.

I'm ok w/ an occasional surprise Moss appearance, though. ARE, too.

hmmm...mason?

Posted by: Dik | September 18, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:07 PM

I personally believe the education of the Redskins earth is, like such as, important to the whole cyber planet, and as such, believe maps for U.S. nations will solve the problems of the blog.

Posted by: MsTeenSouthCarolina | September 18, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

AL - It's not like they're catching these punts blindly. They can glance at the guys coming at them. They don't just stare at the ball the entire time. Plus, I would hope Moss is smart enough to gauge hang times and distances on these punts to form a general idea on whether he'll have a return or not.

Posted by: Chris | September 18, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

In his chat today Jason mentioned that he is having problems with his ipod and "fears the worst".

This is another attack on Mr Snyder!!!

Ipod is made by Apple and Mr Snyder once ate an apple.

Please Jason, stop your constant personal attacks on Mr Snyder and his family!!!

Posted by: Just trying to sound like every other idiot here | September 18, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Since when does fielding punts automatically result in injuries??? And receivers don't get injured?

Posted by: Chris | September 18, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:54 PM

I saw this too, and thought, "That's what Cindy is prob telling him (Yeah JLa, I've checked the IP addresses and all the hate is coming from one address that's mysteriously located in Ashburn, VA. So keep on keeping on. We don't want to let beefs and inaccuracies to get in the way of blog hits)".....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

To further the distinction... umbrella cover 2 is both safeties at the same distance deep in the secondary. Cover 2 strong and weak are other formations which pertains to which safety is 5 yards in front of the other safety in either run support or zone d.

If it is zone d, the usually the LB will roll over on underneath coverage with the CB playing 10 yards off the LOS and the safety playing deep sideline coverage.

The other players on the opposite side in this instance is a CB in short zone, LB covering the middle ins and the other safety creeping up to play intermediate.

This is usually dictated by the strong and weak side of the o line (ie where the TE is lined up) or where their possession WR vs Speed guy lines up.

See the first pass to buress where Rodgers was in mid zone and safety over the top but there was a miscommunication.

They do this to confuse the offense, to make the QB have to read the d post-snap which will help a struggling d line get to the QB since he has to think a bit more.

When you have good dline (gmen) you rush four, play man on the outs and LBs with safeties close to the line since your QB will have to throw the ball sooner.

Which they did very effectively against us and kept us from getting first downs.

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 3:22 PM

The problem is how JLC spins his opinion. He finds a source to spin the story the way JLC wants Redskins Fans to hear the story. He does not research or provide examples of other GM's doing similar type radio or in some cases tv shows.

To me the bottom line is JLC would be better for me if he really had "Inside" information about the team. His/WaPo battle with the Skins FO does not help to give the Redskins Fans the info they really want to know. The reason so many come here, including myself, is that there is some great Redskins discussions by the commenters of this blog (though lately with this politics it's been bad). And most times it's the commenters that have provided the "scoop" on Redskins info through other media outlets.

If he takes his personal hate out of his opinion, then it would benefit all Redskins Fans more than the private battle with the FO is doing.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: Zebra | September 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Why take up our space?

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:07 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:17 PM

Fair enough. Jasno rambles on about topics other than the Redskins. But its his blog. We're here for free because we want to be here. He gets paid to show up. How many of us occasionally do stuff at work just because we can get away with it? I'm on a blog now instead of doing what I get paid to be here to do. OOhh I'm evil. Shoot me. So he occasionally writes about hockey or baseball. I don't care about those sports, but if it breaks up the monotony of his daily grind, whatever. As long as we keep coming back, isn't that what counts?

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

NFC East QB ratings 9/18

6. D. McNabb QB, PHI 114.1

7. Tony Romo QB, DAL 113.1

13. J. Campbell QB, WAS 94.3

14. E. Manning QB, NYG 93.0

Posted by: Realness | September 18, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Why take up our space?

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:07 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:17 PM

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 3:43 PM

Yup...and that's what we have always done.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:54 PM

Probably correct ... though it does seem like I read alot of criticism from one person posting with one name ... "Anonymous"

Posted by: dcsween | September 18, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

sorry to hear that you are delusional as well, dc. That's ok though, if it helps you get through the day.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep beep | September 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

By the way....that makes at least two critics of chumpfora. Since I only post anonymously, there must be at least one other out there posting the thousands of additional posts criticizing the chump.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I found most touching about what Gibbs said:

The whole while he was coaching, the cliche always went: "Well, UP HERE..."

Now the reference goes: "DOWN HERE."

Sounds about where my heart went when he decided to leave the team. Though I love now that we have Zorny, the Gibbs change in reference caught my breath.

Posted by: Slobberknocker | September 18, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse