Thursday link-a-rama

Bye-week podcast

This week's cast of Tracee Hamilton, Dan Steinberg and genial host Jonathan Forsythe welcomes a very special guest star: Sally Jenkins. Links are at the left. You can listen here, via iTunes or get the RSS feed.

Steinz and the signz

Steinberg has the latest on the FedEx sign situation, including the treatment the subject received on "Around the Horn," at DC Sportsbog.

Jenkins and Wilbon weigh in

Jenkins writes about the Redskins' management and Mike Wilbon finds that "management, like the product on the field, has gone from bad to worse."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 29, 2009; 8:32 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At the bye: High marks for the defense
Next: At the bye: the offense comes up short

Comments

Wait a minute, I thought that only the home town news reports were hard on the Skins?
I am starting to think redskins management is trying to trick me.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 29, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

bean

"... you guys ran into a buzz saw last night, that cat was throwing cheeze and painting all night...you'll have your way with pedro tonight..."

I see the phillies winning in 6 games.

The 2008-2009 Philadelphia Phillies will go down as one of the better professional sports franchise team championship runs in the past couple of years.

The Yanks need a right fielder who can slap the ball into play. Nick Swisher and Melky Cabrera are trade bait, trust me.

And you have to wonder WTF is going on with the Cleveland Indians when they let guys like Lee and CC walk.

You can build a stellar ptiching rotation around them, even if you go broke doing it.

Oh well, back to the redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Man, this place is trashed.....what the heck happened up here last night?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 29, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

not a joke but people will laugh...I have tickets for Broncos, Saints and Cowboys with parking pass (2 for each game) I can't go now,anyone want them for face value in section 419

Posted by: connskins | October 29, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Three coaches I'd like to see working with the skins next year:

Grilliams/Jeff Fisher/Russ Grimm--head coach (overall team manager)

Sherm Lewis--offensive coordinator

Alex Gibbs--offensive line coach

Jerry Gray--defensive coordinator

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

dhaze1

"Man, this place is trashed.....what the heck happened up here last night?"

We drained three bottles of tequila and asked into a fight over what felt better, sheep or women.

At least that explains the wool that's all over the place.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I ACTUALLY THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING SEASON TICKETS THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR. NOT ANYMORE...I AM GOING TO USE THAT MONEY ON A BETTER INVESTMENT LIKE ANOTHER VACATION OR HOME UPGRADES.

Posted by: SKIN4LIFE05 | October 29, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

moe, I think if me memory serves, Lee/CC was traded for kids, and given that they weren't re-signing with the tribe, it was a good deal for both...they gave up guys, and got kids in return. We'll see in a year or two if it works...

agreed on those coach's, although, gibbs teach's a lot of cut blocking, I'd rather someone who teaches maulers how to better maul...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame this defense isn't supported by the offense.

At some point, I can imagine them folding as a team puts 40+ points up on the board.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 4:10 PM |

Well, the Saints are on the schedule this year aren't they? They did post 48 against the Ginas...

Posted by: ecale25 | October 29, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Three coaches I'd like to see working with the skins next year:

Grilliams/Jeff Fisher/Russ Grimm--head coach (overall team manager)

Sherm Lewis--offensive coordinator

Alex Gibbs--offensive line coach

Jerry Gray--defensive coordinator

Posted by: MistaMoe

Not bad,,Not Bad....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ecale25

Our D is better than the Ginas..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe is Alex Gibbs still coaching? Also, does anyone know what's the word on Shanahan's son? I think he's the OC of the Texans. Is he on the rise in the coaching ranks?

Posted by: TWISI | October 29, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

bean

I see the phillies winning in 6 games.
Posted by: MistaMoe

Yankees will win this series...I agree the Lee was on point last night..He'd be hard press to do it again..also CC missed on a couple pitches that he normally don't miss.. the Yankees bats were not popping but we'll get it together tonight...by the way are you referring to BeantownGreg...he's a Sox fan!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch DHall ripping the OLine a new one? You can tell DHall talks with JC17. And he basically let the private conversations permeate (sp?) tp the public. (My opinion). I geuss the old adage of not calling out the other side is dead @ 2-5. But I could appreciate some of the things he said. He said they should block for Campbell like they were blocking for their mother or kids' lives. And when JC17 gets hit hard, he commented on how no OLine would go to help him. They would just stand around and let him lay there....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: connskins | October 29, 2009 9:25 AM

I'll take the cowboys at face value....What row?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"...gibbs teach's a lot of cut blocking, I'd rather someone who teaches maulers how to better maul..."

Gibbs' work in Denver and Atlanta is stellar.

We redskins fans love J Buges, but guys like Alex Gibbs and Howard Mudd (Colts) have produced very athletic offensive lines with middle/high/undrafted guys for years.

We need a new voice in the draft room deciding the type of linemen we need as unathletic maulers don't satisfy like long athletic, versitile linemen with quick feet and hips.

The present issues with the skins' offensive line suggest that a strong offensive line coach be hired.

Nothing against Joe Bugel.

But perhaps it's time the team moved in a new direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I'll take the cowboys at face value....What row?

Posted by: 4thFloor
17th row email dehuleatattdotnet i will get you more details

Posted by: connskins | October 29, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

4th sorry messed up
dehulmeatattdotnet, missed a letter

Posted by: connskins | October 29, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Moe on Bugel; it's a sacred cow to be sure, and I hate to pile on a fellow Western Kentucky U guy, but I think his time has come. I'm sure that his daughter passing last year has had an impact, too.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I watch this crud about Snydley Whipskins trying to silence the horde and I'm reminded of a very funny bit Howard Stern used. It was about being a kid and going ot his father's recording studio, where his father would interview him. At one point, the old man get's so frustrated with Howard goofing around, he lets out with an apopleptic "Shut up! Sit Down!"

That's my image of the Skins ownership response to fans. "Shut up! Sit Down!"

Posted by: InRealAmerica | October 29, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch DHall ripping the OLine a new one?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 9:42 AM

I saw that. It's not the first time I heard the D call out the OL. Doc Walker mentioned on the John Thompson show that P Daniel's said that the OL weren't nasty enough. It's a shame because the OL has to have pride in their work for the offense to have a chance.

Posted by: TWISI | October 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

did you guys see the chart for phillies the last 6 years? it looks beautiful....they've stayed between 88-93 wins the past 6 years...consistency, championship...*sigh*...wish the skins could build like that...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 29, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"Everything the DO is bad..."

Classic quote & spot on.

I also like the comments RE Fed Ex & the NFL not wanting to be associated.

For those brave enough for a real boycott, we need to add Fed Ex & NFL (all of it) to the list. Letters to management RE the company boycotts and actual follow up should right the ship big time.

Anyone up for starting the boycott ball rolling? We'd need a web page w/ signature list. We could put generic letter templates to send to Fed Ex & the NFL. Anyone got ideas for letter content?

Alex? This seems like something that you'd have a talent for... any ideas? Nate? Moe?

T_E, Peri, Beaner - whuddya think?

cL - "F the FO" may not cut it...
...then again...

MAPS.....

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 29, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

2nd video

Interesting that Zorn refers to seeing Cooley's operation as the "viewing."

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

uhhhh "theY DO"... not "thE DO"

srry.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 29, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Did anyone catch DHall ripping the OLine a new one?"

His complaints are a little late.

I mean, back during free agency and the draft, did he spend more time counting his new found money or charting the lack of linemen the skins added?

If he wants to beef, then let him demand to return punts.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

So, Dik, you don't think that the entire body of the letter should be "F the Front Office"?

Seems to me that that would make the point.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 29, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

JohnD,

Translate that to Accountant/Lawyer speak and you have a winner!

Perhaps it could be done a la Gov. Terminator?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 29, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"...is Alex Gibbs still coaching?"

Well, retirement is a funny thing for the redskins.

Sherm Lewis came out of retirement to coach.

We'd take either Dungy or Cowher outof retirement to coach.

If Alex Gibbs is approached to rebuild the skins' offensive line, I'm quite sure he'd come out of retirement or direct the team in that regard in some way.

Not that I know Alex Gibbs.

But I do know what a few million dollars will make a guy do or not do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Moe, mebbe that's what he was doin' on the sideline befo ARE[about to drop the ball] dropped the ball.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 29, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs' work in Denver and Atlanta is stellar.

Nothing against Joe Bugel.

But perhaps it's time the team moved in a new direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse
=============================================
Sorry couldn't disagree more. Buges isn't the one drafting the personnel. You're looking for a coach that can coach fire into the linemen we got one, and he's maximized everything we're going to get out of these trolls. True Gibbs and Mudd have made players out of low draft picks, but to be honest they would have never even wasted their time with the bums Vinny picked.

Most linemen can't wait to slobber-knock the dude in front of them...for free. These guys we have, just want pay checks. I feel so bad for Buges, to have deal with this crap day in and day out, for the rest of the season.

Posted by: clark202 | October 29, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 29, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"...mebbe that's what he was doin' on the sideline before ARE dropped the ball."

ARE letting a punted ball hit him in the face mask didn't upset me.

What upset me was the lack of Dannyy Smith or Jim Zorn getting into his business about not covering the ball.

F!cking up is never a problem.

Not recovering from the f!ck up always is.

Let Moss, Thomas, or Hall return punts.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If he wants to beef, then let him demand to return punts.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:19 AM

He said in the Summer/training Camp, that the OLine looked like a beast. His thinking comes from watching a few games and looking at the game film.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

If we're to be boycotting all things Redskin, shouldn't we be boycotting da blog as well?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 29, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

BTW - The stats are overwhelming that when you take a retired champ as your Coarch you do not make it to the dance.

Perhaps it's a hunger thing. Schula won his 2 after switching from a great team that could never quite get it together come championship time.

Who has coached teams to win stuporBowels w/ two different teams?...much less after retireing & coming back... Anyone? Heck, even NFL Championships....

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 29, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"Buges isn't the one drafting the personnel."

Then if I'm him, I pack my bags and go play golf.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"Did anyone catch DHall ripping the OLine a new one?"

His complaints are a little late.

If he wants to beef, then let him demand to return punts.

Posted by: MistaMoe
----------------------------

I don't think criticizing your team members before the season even starts is a very productive thing to do. That's managements job and they arent going to give a crap what D Hall thinks about the issue. The only thing that would do is create locker room drama.

Of course now that we've entered a death spiral I'm cool with pretty much any internal criticism that is spot on (and I haven't heard any that wasn't). So yeah, gloves off.

Posted by: REXskins | October 29, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

moe has a good point, thats starting to happen way too often moe...

there is no fear of screwing up, fumble, oh well get em next time, take a punt in the grille aw shucks dang luck....

at some point, someone has to get their backside kicked for messing up...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Buges isn't the one drafting the personnel."

Then if I'm him, I pack my bags and go play golf.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse
===============================================
Why? He's doing what he loves to do.

Posted by: clark202 | October 29, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

dealer1

"well...skanks might win tonite but i can't stop watching sportscenter...seeing those highlights again and again makes my heart sing..."

We Yankees fans are glad we've provided you with one night of amusement.

And we thank you for supporting teams that make us laugh every year we won 26 World Championships.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Last season Zorn was asked repeatedly about allowing someone other than Randle El to return punts....his response was always that he "trusts" El with the ball.

Same thing this season....well after 7 games it is evident El should not be trusted with the ball - and he is not getting us good field position.

But Zorn continues to stick by him! What is up with that?

Devin Thomas has said he wants the chance to return punts and has been working diligently on this after practice.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 29, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Moe,

A) you were talking about DHall stepping up. Most likely that's what he was doing just before they sent ARE in to botch it. I wasn't necessarily beyotchin' about ARE[yes I was..]

7) A vet of that stature shouldn't have a facemask lead to a facepalm! How can you say that?

#K) Like that woulda done anything... Jumping on a pro at tthis point is like pissing on a brush fire.

^%$) You're right, the SJK-up after the SJK-up is insult to injury!

() Did you see his last return was straight for 8 or so yards?! AMAZING@#@!!111

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 29, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

this whole 'trust' thing is right up there with 'being perfect', and right up there with BULLCRAP....

he trusts Rock to return kicks, so essentially he's trusting for less than mediocrity, and ZERO chance at breaking one for a touch down.

he trusts ARE to return punts, and AGAIN, we get ZERO chance at a big return...

memo to JZ, start taking chances, look what happened when Sherm threw the ball to Thomas more than once a game....

so friggin frustrating...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

But Zorn continues to stick by him! What is up with that?

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 29, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse
=============================================
ARE has that fear. I don't know if he got popped really good some time back or what, but whatever the reason, he's fearful back there. And its obvious, the ball hit him in the head, because he took his eyes off the ball to look at protection. You see a guy doing that, then yank him. I don't know what Coach Smith is doing putting him back there time after time. When Moss or Hall are back there the protection is good enough for them to make some yardage or attempt to break it.

Posted by: clark202 | October 29, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

my nine year old now calls ARE fair catch Randle, and then walks out of the room on every punt, if he can get it why can't the coaches get it

Posted by: connskins | October 29, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Chase Utley doesn't think much of those 26 World Championships, Moe.

I was born in Queens and grew up on Long Island, Moe.

Guys like Guidry, Nettles, Randolf, Munson, Dent, and Goose were my heros.

While I realize all pro sports have changed, and have changed for the worse, and to single out the Yankees for being a corporate conglomeration is ridiculous, I must say that I find it impossible to root for the Yankees.

George (and now Hank) Steinbrenner is proof that you can alienate a fan forever.

Yuck, just yuck.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 29, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder?

Yucky in my tummy.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 29, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I now it's bye week, but it's awfully dead up here.

Fan fatigue has set in.

Thank You, Mr. Snyder.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 29, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I wish the times did a post on the number of plays players were involved in, as they have done in the past....I'm curious to see how much Jarmon was involved.

Jarmon who by the way,I think when all is said and done, is gonna be a real stud for this team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and apparently the recession ended last summer.

Yah, right.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 29, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Jarmon.

Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 29, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Bean - It'll be out today. MNF prob set them back. And they had Vinny presser...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 10:58 AM

It's in the Times Redskins 360 today.

Posted by: TWISI | October 29, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

chia_pet

"I must say that I find it impossible to root for the Yankees."

I can not disagree or agree with you.

Every man is entitled to his beliefs.

I was angry at the Yankee franchise between years '83-'94 as I grew up on pinstripe mythology and couldn't believe how the team had let itself morph into mediocrity.

Stay thirsty my friend, 'cuz if we do win it all, I'll pour a few cold ones in memory of former fans like yourself.

That is, of course, you're not back on the bandwagon by then yourself.

'Cuz you will be!!!

:)))))))))))))))))):))))))):))))))))))

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Why haven't the skins put Chris S. on IR yet? I really hope they fill his spot w/ someone on the OL.

Posted by: TWISI | October 29, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor |

If I'm an Olineman my response is "He can tell us how to block when he learns how to tackle."

But that's just smack. The underlying issue is one of a team imploding while Nero fiddles with signs and negatiev T-shirts..

Posted by: TheCork | October 29, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

When I click on the "click to subscribe" to the podcast, I get "Not available." for the RSS URL.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 29, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch DHall ripping the OLine a new one?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 9:42 AM

Posted by: TWISI |

If I'm an Olineman, my response to Phillip Daniels is "Yes, sir."

Posted by: TheCork | October 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"Yucky in my tummy"?

Wtf?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 29, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I know that the Post and most of the redskins-centric sites and blogs have been slamming Snyder for this sign/tshirt thing, plus the whole org being a circus with a know-nothing owner, but what about the national type stuff, like NFL network, espn, etc……I saw a couple things on USA today’s football section, but I don’t really get to watch Sportscenter or any of the other tv or radio talk shows like Jim Rome, Mike&Mike etc……..anyone know if any or all of these programs are calling out Snyder as bad as the local stuff and Redskins fans are doing?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 29, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Playing time vs. Eagles (corrected) By Ryan O'Halloran on Oct. 29, 2009 into Redskins 360

Here are the unofficial playing time totals for the Redskins against Philadelphia (includes plays negated by penalties, but not pre-snap penalties like false start and delay of game).

OFFENSE (72 snaps)

RB: Clinton Portis 42, Ladell Betts 27, Mike Sellers 38, Rock Cartwright 4.

TE: Chris Cooley 13, Fred Davis 53, Todd Yoder 7, Lorenzo Alexander 2.

WR: Devin Thomas 50, Malcolm Kelly 19, Antwaan Randle El 36, Santana Moss 69.

DEFENSE (58 snaps)

DL: Kedric Golston 34, Lorenzo Alexander 9, Jeremy Jarmon 17, Albert Haynesworth 42, Phillip Daniels 18, Cornelius Griffin 30, Andre Carter 56.

LB: London Fletcher 58, Rocky McIntosh 50, Brian Orakpo 52, Chris Wilson 5.

DB: LaRon Landry 58, Carlos Rogers 58, DeAngelo Hall 58, Justin Tryon 27, Fred Smoot 8, Reed Doughty 9, Chris Horton 49.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kickoff coverage: Suisham, Thomas, Sellers, Moore, Westbrook, Tryon, Cartwright, Doughty, Blades, Wilson, Alexander.

Kickoff return: Cartwright, Betts, Sellers, Yoder, Alexander, Wilson, Moore, McIntosh, Doughty, Blades, Cooley/Davis.

Punt coverage: Smith, Albright, Tryon, Blades, Sellers, Horton, Cartwright, Yoder, Doughty, Moore, Thomas.

Punt return: Randle El/Moss/Hall, Smoot, Landry, Tryon, Westbrook, Moore, Blades, Cartwright, Doughty, Jarmon, Alexander.

-- Ryan O'Halloran

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet

Great logic.

Snyder & Co hate he Post, blame the media for his problems.

You suggest we boycott the Post.

That'll teach Dan a lesson.

Posted by: TheCork | October 29, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Usual suspects. I forgot Herzog is still on the radio, and he's bashing them as well...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

4th, thanks.

In attempting to be positive, Kedric has been a stud this year, he seems to have benefited from AH. Perhaps with Griffs injuries, he'd be better served starting??

Doughty, Wilson, and Jarmon all need more reps on D.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

TE: Chris Cooley 13, Fred Davis 53, Todd Yoder 7, Lorenzo Alexander 2.

WR: Devin Thomas 50, Malcolm Kelly 19, Antwaan Randle El 36, Santana Moss 69.

------------------------------------------

Alexander may be needed more on the offensive side of the ball as a blocking TE going forward. Line him up on the left next to Levi Jones and let's get back to smash ball football. Also, If we can get Kelly and ARE closer in reps, I think it'll bode well for the future of the team, sorta like what's happening w/ Daniels and Jarmon.

Posted by: TWISI | October 29, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

You're right....Jarmon needs more playing time and I think he'll get it starting after the bye....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hulk sad.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 29, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Yeah skins FO is getting crushed by local talk shows down here in NC too.

Posted by: swalker5 | October 29, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

they got ripped by the talk radio up here on tuesday after the game...the local guys said that JC was worse than the Bucs qb, whom the pats just faced....ouch..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

With Jarmon coming on strong and Carter having a good year what round pick you think we could get for Carter counting on he finish with 10+ sacks?

Posted by: swalker5 | October 29, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Doughty, Wilson, and Jarmon all need more reps on D.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Beantown you're on point today..especially about Wilson I think he can beast out if giving more time...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Josh Johnson, Tampa's QB, will be way better than Campbell, if not already.

You really can't say there is anything that Campbell does that much better than Johnson, and that's straight shameful.

Campbell, year 5. Johnson, year 1.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 29, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: swalker5 | October 29, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If he produces at or above that level I hope the Redskins don't trade him.

Jarmon is already going to be needed to replace P. Daniels.

Keep Carter around, develop Wilson at SLB, and let Orakpo slide over and replace Carter when the time comes.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

jcn, I don't trust this coaching staff to develop guys, they just don't do it. Wilson had a tackle for a loss in the game the other night, and then...bupkus..I mean, 5 plays?? wtf??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI |

Good point...what happen to Alexander playing both ways?..especially after we got Jarmon and they saw he could be a beast they should have put Alexander back on the O-line...This coaching staff makes me more mad the more we analogize the moves they have made.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If he produces at or above that level I hope the Redskins don't trade him.

Jarmon is already going to be needed to replace P. Daniels.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 29, 2009 11:47 AM |
I like Carter too but would it make any signifigance on the Cap to lose him and have Jarmon and Orakpo on the edges if Wilson can handle SLB which I think he can, looked good when he was in Mon.

Posted by: swalker5 | October 29, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Doughty, Wilson, and Jarmon all need more reps on D.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: jcnjcnj

I am with you here guys. I'd also lobby for Kareem Moore and Tryon to get some more reps. I think Moore's problem is he isn't getting the playing time to learn and Tryon is actually playing pretty well. Anyone know what the deal is with Barnes? It seems most weeks he is not even active. I thought this guy would tear it up once he got here.

As for offense, I would just like to see the other running backs get more carries. I am not saying Cartwright is the second coming of John Riggins, but he has, at least, been productive whenever he lines up at running back. Betts comes in on third downs and those are usually passing downs because the team can't move the football on 1st and 2nd down. I would like to see him run the ball more so mix him in on 1st and 2nd. Portis is not as effective this year and so maybe it is time to move to a more running-back-by-committee running attack.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: swalker5 | October 29, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about cap. I just don't think you will get more than a 3rd for Carter. He's good but teams will look at his production minus AH.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

If he produces at or above that level I hope the Redskins don't trade him.

Jarmon is already going to be needed to replace P. Daniels.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 |

Pockets that keeping it str8..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swalker5 | October 29, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

I think the team should start throwing Orakpo into Carter's slot occasionally. The can move Carter to the other side or give him a breather, but I think it would be interesting to know what this would do to their production. It might be Orakpo won't be able to fight off blocks enough to make a difference in the running game - which might be why the team insists on having him play off the line of scrimmage as a linebacker on running downs. Whatever the reason, I would like to see if the guy is the heir-apparent and if the team could afford to offload Carter.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

everyone should read that Sally Jenkins article, ESPECIALLY the Campbell haters, Portis haters, Zorn haters, Rodgers haters, etc.

If you are blaming the players and/or coaches YOU ARE A SNYDERRATTO CLONE!!!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 29, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

^^^yawn^^^

Posted by: RedDMV | October 29, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

If you are blaming the players and/or coaches YOU ARE A SNYDERRATTO CLONE!!!

Posted by: pabrian2003

I read it..though I don't like reading Jenkins stuff because she just too negative..I mean all Skins fan are hurting but she pours salt in the wound and i don't appreciate that...Her last article "Skins need a GM" was surprising to me. She wasn't as negative as she had been so i felt she was setting us up and then....Today..she hates Synder..it some times reads personal. like she was a lover scorned..Her articles are not IMO sports reporting..just Hate mongering (towards Synder that is)

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If you are blaming the players and/or coaches YOU ARE A SNYDERRATTO CLONE!!!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 29, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Child Pleaz

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 29, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

pab, read this:

"The Redskins' play-calling against the Eagles was a nonsensical, piecemeal arrangement in which, according to Zorn, Lewis called the pass routes, while offensive coordinator Sherman Smith called the run packages, and Zorn himself stepped in to handle the hurry-up offense"

I actually thought that the play calling was better than it had been. The week prior they failed to score a touchdown, this week they scored 2. So right away, you saw improvement, right???

"Campbell was sacked a bone-crushing six times"

The Redskins don't employ audibles. So when JC walks up to the line, that he knows is in shambles, and he knows he can't audible, and he knows that a blitz is coming, what are his options??

Thats on the coach. Not employing an audible is just dumb...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If you are blaming the players and/or coaches YOU ARE A SNYDERRATTO CLONE!!!
Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 29, 2009 12:05 PM

From what I’ve seen, anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours either “has no football IQ” or is a “Snyderrato-clone”….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 29, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

jcnjcnj, RE: Sally Jenkins, I totally agree.

I have no problem with someone telling things they way they are, but she only shows up when they aren't doing too well. I think in the first eight weeks last year she may have only wrote something twice regarding the 'skins. This year we get her bulls*** every week.

It doesn't make sense.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 29, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

After reading this, I do realize, and you must as well, the people venting the loudest are former employees who ended their relationship on a sour note with Dan Snyder.

Arrington - We all know.
BMitch - 2000, not resigned because of Dion Sanders and dumped from a high paying radio gig @ 980.
Herzog - Uncerimounously dumped after decades as the play-by-play man.

Doc Walker and Theesman or a little bit more even handed.

The reality is, it is somewhere in the middle...

I think Vinny stays. He will get one more HC and one more draft. Success cures all. Which means WCO is here to stay.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Thats on the coach. Not employing an audible is just dumb...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Fire Zorn.....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If you are blaming the players and/or coaches YOU ARE A SNYDERRATTO CLONE!!!

Posted by: pabrian2003

AND, because Sally Jenkins wrote it - she of many years of NFL experience both on the field and off - it should all be true. SO, you should take a little SNYDERRATTO CLONE fairy dust and sprinkle it around on all of those who ever disagreed with you and they will all fall to their knees in humiliation... I thought you were smarter than that, man.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Pabrian is as predictable as the rising sun. The whole "it's this One problem." crowd have the depth of a pond protist. Failures are rarely isolated reAsons and the skins 09 debacle holds to form. Perfect storm of crapppy owner gm coaches and players. No one is above blame on this team. It's like a dinosaur with a mortal would but the brain just doesn't know it yet.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 29, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Thats on the coach. Not employing an audible is just dumb...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

I don't buy that. I have seen Campbell audible before - not very effectively, mind you, but I have seen him yell something after looking at the defense and players shifted around. I think that was an audible.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Bean - As much as the rip the piecemeal offensive play calling, it worked. The coaching and player mistakes is what caused the lost.

Bean - Here is a nugget for you and anyone else who hasn't sat in the Dem/Rep corner and refuses to move.

Sean Payton was the 'Passing Game Coordinator' in NYG and in Dallas. He didn't call the run plays. He is now a HC of an undefeated team. But no one ripped them for thier two-tier play calling.

Can't have the Talking Heads sway your beliefs and eyes....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Just for Dallas. He was the OC for the Giants, but had playcalling duties taken from him and given to Fassal.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I deeply hope you are wrong 4th and actually think you are wrong. I think snyder is gonna can vinny I really do.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 29, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What about John Fox as next Head Coach? He seems to be on the outs in Carolina. He is a strong mined defensive guy. Any thoughts?

Posted by: FedorEm | October 29, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

So this is who Kiper has as the best seniors per position, top 5, I have included QB, OL, RB, LB, DB/S, who would you want?

Couple of posts:

Charles Brown - USCali
Selvish Capers - West Virginia
Ciron Black - LSU

ONLY SENIORS

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Taking from him by Fassel...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the cowboys at face value....What row?

Posted by: 4thFloor
17th row email dehuleatattdotnet i will get you more details

--------------

Dude, I'm 419, row 18. Small world.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 12:31 PM

You're right about JC and audibles, but it not the norm for JC to have audibles, that's been well documented. Particularly in the + or - 25 yard area, it's really evident.

Posted by: TWISI | October 29, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

F Kiper...his guess is a good as Vinny's

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, why can't we ever post comments to Sally Jenkins' articles? I'd like to post that she isn't writing anything the fans don't already know/suspect. As much as we may agree with everything she's writing, the fact of the matter is she it still just comes across as going after low hanging fruit/transparent effort to attack management. How about she write something we don't already know??

Posted by: OldManGibbs | October 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

cl, agreed, I get that feeling about vinzo as well...can't happen quick enough.

rsh, I'm pretty sure they alluded to it during the broadcast, as well as Portis claiming the last time he heard an audible was when he was in Denver.

4th, I think you're trying to say that you think the playcalling worked, and if so, then I'm in AGREEMENT with you. This was a step forward. Had there been some, any type of qb protection, who knows...dare I say 3 touchdowns could have been possible...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

There is a difference between an audible and trying to confuse the defense.

I think what you saw was the offense lining up one way, and then realigning to cause confusion. Not necessarily an audible.

An audible is when you change the alignment based on how the defense is aligned to pick up blitzes and exploit passing lanes.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Big Sal Jenkins is just angry cuz shes sooo ugly. She does like pouring that salty lemon juice on open wounds.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 29, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

TWISI,
I remember reading about the Sonny - Zorn bickering over no audibles in the red zone strategy that Zorn put in place; however, I thought JC was given more latitude this last game with a bunch of scripted plays on his armband.

Maybe I am just being stubborn here, but I cannot believe a coach would totally take away a QB's ability to audible. That goes beyond moronic, or Zorn really has no faith in Campbell's ability to read defensive alignments...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sean Witherspoon - MIssouri
Sergio Kindle -Texas
Eric Norwood - SCarolina
Roddrick Muckleroy - Texas
Sean Lee - Penn State

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 29, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

unless they re-tool the offensive line with free agents, then drafting a qb next year will produce the EXACT same results we've seen the past 3 years....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sally J's articles seem like regurg of the Insider, looks at RI, reads the comments, fishes for the story she thinks we want to hear...only weeks late and she is ugly.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn really has no faith in Campbell's ability to read defensive alignments..."

In which case, JC even starting one game for the Redskins this season was a farce

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 29, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Three coaches I'd like to see working with the skins next year:

Grilliams/Jeff Fisher/Russ Grimm--head coach (overall team manager)

Sherm Lewis--offensive coordinator

Alex Gibbs--offensive line coach

Jerry Gray--defensive coordinator

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 29, 2009 9:25 AM |

Need a O guru guy as HC to rebuild all phases of the O from ground up. RG is career asst, best as OL coach, never even been a O coordinator. GW and JF work best as DCs.

Jerry Gray - Jesus, with the way the Skins DBs have performed, I would avoid this guy like the plague. Think 3 whiffs on Manningham and DeSean Jack running wild and free.

Posted by: MrPink | October 29, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I dont see the smarts in drafting the QB of the franchise if we dont have the OL to support it, I dont think we are going to be much better next year, so we could get a veteran to fill in, build OL and other key positions on Defense OLB and DB, then get the QB the following draft...

it kills me that the LB we drafted in this draft seem to be just awful picks, could have gotten other LB or OL, also dont understand us not going out and taking OL off practice squads

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 29, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Agreed and look for Sleepy, DT11 and even MK12 to get more involved as the season goes on..Zorn just didn't know how to get them the ball and that will be the main reason he'll be fired... to not get any production from 3 2nd round picks is ridiculous....just too bad Cooley went down because with him and Sleepy together they can cause a lot of match up problems for LB's and safeties..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Back on after a vaca, hope everyone is well, I dislike Campbell and want him gone, but I don't think the answer is to draft a QB. We have too many young players on offense already, we're going to have a young oline hopefully, we're going to have a new running back even if CP stays, we have a lot of youth on offense. I think this year we look for a veteran guy in FA, and draft for the Oline. Next year look for a young QB. My only deviation would be if we get a stud tackle in round one and a big time QB falls to the second round i.e.- Clausen, Locker, McCoy, Bradford, Tebow. Any of those guys still on the board in round 2 I'm fine with, other than that-

Round 1 - Okung, Williams
Round 2 - T
Round 4 - G
Round 6 - C
Round 7 - Best Available talent on the board

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 29, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Have you noticed how some WRs become All Pro when they play against the Skins? DeSean Jack had pretty much done jack up until his dazzling display against the Skins. Manningham has returned to being very ordinary after his breakout game against the Skins at the beginning of the season.

Posted by: MrPink | October 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrPink |

Mr Pink it takes heart to tackle and we know DHall has none..that's not Grays fault..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

and she is ugly.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sally was spawned in a nest by a bird like people. When she was young, she fell from the nest and hit every branch on the way down. The branches slowed her fall, but damn they made her ugly.

BeanTG: I believe Zorn does have audibles in his system. He has said that JC has the authority to call audibles at the line, but only in select situations/plays.

Trade/Rest AC99? Are you kidding? This guy is on pace for a career year. Big Al is helping him out, Ill grant that. But you dont take this guy out or move him around just to get Orakpo in there.

Orakpo is undersized for an every down DE, that why he plays SLB for 1st and 2nd down. Pick your poison: Rookie gets beat in pass coverage a few times in the early downs or gets mauled over in the run game. He's pass rushing on 3rd downs. Despite what a lot of ppl are preaching. They are using this guy how they should.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 29, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrPink | October 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

That's 2 receivers having 3 big plays. I don't see what your point is?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 29, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Everyone who say we need a veteran FA QB to hold the fort and draft stud linemen...with stud linemen JC could be that veteran QB to hold the fort...I just think no QB would do good behind this O-line..not even Peyton..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

just read sally's piece...ugh! and can't imagine the other dude, tony's coattail rider, being any better.

Mr. Boz, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! you're the only good writer left on wapo's sports staff. PLEASE PLEASE WRITE "FIRE CERRATO" column. PLEASE!!! stop beating around the bush and just say it! FIRE CERRATO!!!!!!!!!! AND STOP MEDDLING! PLEASE! THIS CITY NEEDS YOU!!!! now more than ever. pen that mother!!!! PLEASE!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 29, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I recommend we change Fred Davis' nickname from "Sleepy" to "Fosbury".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SKIN4LIFE05 | October 29, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm selling the rest of my tix this season and not renewing next year. I'll be spending the extra cash on a new projector so I can better enjoy the games in an environment that I control.

Posted by: HenryHog | October 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 29, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Is Osi undersized for everydown?

Osi 6-3 261
Orakpo 6-3 260

I dont agree with your assesment.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 29, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

JC is not a good enough QB, I'd take Toddball over him right now. He left at least 7 easy completions and a TD on the field Monday night with inaccuracy and his terrible read on the pump and go on Santanna who was wide open for 6. He can't read defenses and he's inaccurate. Heck I'd prefer Charlie Batch or Sage Rosenfels over JC. I'm just over him, he can't play in this league as anything more than a backup.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 29, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 29, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

not too mention, the bridge is burned, JC is gone, just accept it, after last offseason and this crap season there's no way he's coming back.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 29, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I see a lot of next years draft projections here taking all OL. This would seem like what Vinny might do if he sticks around. He obviously listens to the media/internet and such and he might do such a thing to please the fan base. But hopefully the owner decides to

FIRE VINNY!!! HE IS A COMPLETE MORON!!!

So the new GM with full control of football operations (which includes hiring the new HC) decides on a rational plan to rebuild this roster/team. If the uncapped year happens, over priced vets can be cut and possibly resigned to a reasonable contract if it makes sense (it would be better to resign vets vs bringing in new ones to fill holes). The rational plan to rebuild a roster consists of drafting and free agents. He would realize that the team desperately needs youth infused in the OL corps. But drafting only OL would neglect other areas of the roster. So he would probably spend a 1st rounder on a LT and at least another 1st day pick on the OL. And possibly a late rounder on a project guy. Drafting a fast RB and a MLB would be neglected by only taking OL

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 29, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2, are you kidding?! jc SUCKS!!!!!!!! dude, wtf!?! that f'er will be selling life insurance next year. he makes patrick ramsey look like elway!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 29, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

in a way, could this be the best thing to happen to the team?? here me out on this. Samuels and Thomas went down as expected, Chris will probably have to retire, so could they be FORCED into a situation where they HAVE TO draft/sign ol players. Chris and Randy coming back last year was somewhat of a security blanket, and them being older, and getting injured AGAIN, is somewhat of a blessing in disguise...because had they stayed healthy, and the team went 8-8, or thereabouts, we'd be in the mind-set of 1 player away.....

as well, could the failure of this team, could that very well lead to VC getting fired, and DS hiring a GM??

like with a drug addict, or alcoholic, you have to hit rock bottom, before you can start thinking about change....

we're getting close to rock bottom.

your thoughts...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 29, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse
No, who we really need is Bob Woodward to write it.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can't ban this sign:

Posted by: A1232 | October 29, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Did you think that we should have drafted Orakpo over Oher? I think Orakpo is awesome and will be, but did we really need him over a very good offensive lineman, who BTW pancaked one of our players in the pre-season.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 29, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Its time to start working on a Daniel Snyder boycott. Since he is not feeling us, its time to hit him in the pockets. Its a known fact that the Redskins fans are the most loyal and best fans of all sports. Its time to let our voices be heard. Start the chain emails guys. Mine is my screen name at gmail. Send me an email and lets get it started.

Posted by: ocharles77 | October 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse