Tight ends can do it all, coach says

During the team's final minicamp practice last week, Redskins' tight ends Chris Cooley and Fred Davis both ran routes at the same time in two-tight end packages. Both are known as pass catchers, though tight ends coach Jon Embree refused to acknowledge the label.

"They're not both pass catchers," Embree said. "They can block. I don't like labeling people run block or pass block. Those two guys can block. They can do things in the run game. I don't see them being a liability in the run game."

Asked whether one would need to stay behind to block when the other runs routes, Embree said the decision is up to offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. He did not think adjustments needed to be made with the tight ends simply because the Redskins have a young offensive line.

"It doesn't matter if it's a young line or a veteran guy, if you're going against Dwight Freeney, people help," Embree said. "So it's more your opponent that dictates what you do."

Embree said the tight ends have been working hard, but pointed to last Thursday's practice as an example of mental lapses the group has made. The coaching staff, Embree said, does not tolerate mistakes such as players aligning incorrectly.

"You can't play if you don't know what you're doing," Embree said.

He praised Cooley, who is now the veteran of the group. He said Davis is "starting to learn some things about the game of football,"such as how defenses play him and how to fit within the scheme, "and not just going out there and playing."

Davis thrived last season when Cooley was on the injured list. When Embree was asked if there were enough balls for both Davis and Cooley, he immediately responded with, "Is there enough wins?"

Embree drew from his experience coaching Tony Gonzalez, who he said was never dissatisfied with the number of passes that came his way, but instead by how infrequently the Kansas City Chiefs won. If the Redskins win, Embree said, the tight ends will be happy with the distribution.

Embree's barometer for whether quarterback Donovan McNabb trusts his tight ends is how frequently McNabb looks their way on third downs and in the red zone. But the least of Embree's
concerns is whether Cooley and Davis can co-exist in the Redskins' lineup.

"I think that's more for people on the outside looking in," Embree said. "If you sat in my meeting room, besides Fred's mother, Chris Cooley's probably his biggest fan. And it's pretty safe to say the same for the other way. Those guys pull for each other, they help each other."

By Zach Berman  |  June 21, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Q&A with Jammal Brown
Next: Austin getting a long look as WR, kick returner

Comments

I still think that we should trade one of these tight ends to a team that desperately needs one (i.e the Rams) for a high 2nd rounder while they still have value. The value of Fred Davis will only decrease once Cooley is back healthy.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 21, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 21, 2010 6:25 AM

Ok Beast...reality check.

The 2010 offseason has been a firesale. Elite WRs like Anquan Boldin go for a couple mid-round picks. Brandon Marshall a couple of 2nd rounders. The Skins alone have ripped Pro-Bowl performers like McNabb and Brown from playoff teams at discount rates. So what makes you think the Rams or anyone else would pay MORE for Chris Cooley coming off a stint on IR?

Nobody's trading the TEs. They have far more value to us as active players than they are as a trading piece for a mid-round pick. Cooley is the team's most popular player among fans and will probably become McNabb's favorite target. Unless and until we get some WRs worth a damn, having two pass catching TEs isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

I fully expect to see a CC47 blog post about Chris and Fred wearing BFF necklaces.

Posted by: Keiser | June 21, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Also brownwood is correct, as of right now 2 of our top 3 receivers are TEs and trading one would be a big mistake.

Posted by: Keiser | June 21, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Depth is a concept with which we Redskins fans need to get reacquainted. It's a good thing, not a waste. It saves seasons.

Posted by: MColeman51 | June 21, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

OK…Playing catch-up…Let see, hmmm.
Right tackle…Check
CB depth…Check
WR…Work in progress
Jammal Brown signing sooner than I expected, very good news. Thought it would have been during the pre season.
It was s good Fodders day weekend.

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 21, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

This can only be good, not for only depth reasons as injury is a huge part of the game. Also these guys will push each other to be better. Neither is a diva or locker room cancer. Competition brings out the best in each man, this is what Shanahan wants at every postition. Go Skins, only a Month to camp and preseason games.

Posted by: FedorEm | June 21, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | June 21, 2010 7:15 AM

Amen to that.

Now if we can get some depth at QB, I'd feel pretty damn good about 2010. If Sage Rosenfels gets cut by Minny (which is pretty likely at this point), he's a clear upgrade over Rex Grossman, regardless of how well he knows the system.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

And now begins the slooooow season on RI.

I expect to see alot of battles between bloggers up here due to the No News 6 week period. Including me......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 21, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 21, 2010 7:46 AM

No doubt...I'd count on seeing at least a couple battles regarding:

-the resolution/non-resolution of the AH situation

-whether Jason Campbell can play (even though he's now a Raider)

-whether it's "same 'ol Skins under Snyder"

-trade Cooley/don't trade Cooley

-trade/keep Clinton Portis

I could live with most of these so long as the Marcus Mason debate NEVER comes on this blog again...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Our best package this year might be two tight end sets with Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis in the same backfield and Moss as the lone wideout.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

And now begins the slooooow season on RI.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 21, 2010 7:46 AM
------------------------------------------
Let me throw down the gauntlet first:

Your mother was a hamster... and your father smelt of elderberry wine...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

was at Fenway on Saturday, eating lobster on fathers day, and come to work to find out that the team got JBrown for what again???? Thats a pretty good weekend don't care who you are...hope the rest of you fathers had a good day as well....

moe, things are tightening up in the AL East....gonna be a fun summah...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

at fenway on Satuday, eating lobster on Sunday, and the skins traded for JBrown....not a bad weekend.....not bad at all.....happy fathers day to those on here....moe, stuff is starting to tighten up in the east....

so we got Brown for swapping places with NO, is that correct??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Does the addition of Jamal Brown make our O line complete? Or our people still nervous and do we need more depth?

Posted by: FedorEm | June 21, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Does the addition of Jamal Brown make our O line complete? Or are people still nervous and do we need more depth?

Posted by: FedorEm | June 21, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Amen to that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 7:28 AM
------------------------------------------
Wouldn't be a bad pickup and it kind of brings Sage Rosenfels full circle, doesn't it? Still, I would like to see the team pick up a young QB as a developmental prospect. I was disappointed they didn't go for any QB late in the draft (I was hoping for Pike in the lower rounds) and after that, I was hoping they would try to grab Brandstater when he was cut by the Broncs, but Indy swooped in...

That said, I think it is intriguing that Richard Bartel wasn't cut the day after Shanny came to town. That he is still around says to me there might be something to him that we are not seeing. I've heard that he hasn't looked bad in limited reps in the OTA's, and I wouldn't be surprised that of all of the QB's on the roster, Brennan is shown the door first.

Still, I think we need a veteran backup and word is Grossman has looked flat out awful, so Rosenfels would be a good signing. How many years did he play in Shanny Jr's offense when he was in Houston?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the "Fred's mother" illustration? Did I read it wrong?

Posted by: Dorf | June 21, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Or your boy Rock Cartwright for that matter...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh nevermind... you're not sitting next to Fred's mother, you're his biggest fan besides Fred's mother!

I'm going to get some coffee.

Posted by: Dorf | June 21, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

so we got Brown for swapping places with NO, is that correct??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 8:08 AM

Greg, it's still to early to tell...the compensation is tied to the McNabb deal. We give Philly either the 3rd round pick or the 4th rounder, depending on how the team does and how well McNabb plays. Whichever pick Philly gets, the Saints gets the other. But I think we only get a pick back from the Saints if it's the 3rd rounder they get...I'm not sure we get a pick from them if they end up with the 4th rounder.

Confusing...I know.

Suffice it to say, we're without a 3rd and a 4th rounder next year, no matter what.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

dorf,
not sure what davis' mother is doing in the meeting room, but in this hypothetical, coach is saying if she were there she'd be davis' biggest fan and cooley would be davis' second biggest fan.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 21, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | June 21, 2010 8:10 AM
------------------------------------------
I think they can do well with what they have. I was worried about tackle but Jamaal fills both the starting right tackle spot and is a more than capable left tackle. Heyer and Capers will be okay backups. Being a backup will give Capers a year to get the position down and work on his strength. Capers can also come in as a "goal line tight end" since he played that position when he started out in college.

The guards are probably a little less mobile than what Shanahan would like. DD and BMW are known more for being earth movers than they are lithe linemen that can get to the second level... I don't think those guys are in danger of losing their jobs but there is an intriguing group of backups that will be fighting it out for the right to play behind them. I expect Rabach to be solid but not spectacular in the middle with some stronger but less mobile backups. I think we could see Edwin Williams play a little against 3-4 teams with big nose tackles.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Fred Davis moms in the meeting room?

Sounds like another "Lebron's mom" situation.

How is your stepdaddy also your teammate?

Weird.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

.I'm not sure we get a pick from them if they end up with the 4th rounder.

Confusing...I know.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:22 AM

This from the Post:

"If the Saints end up with the Redskins' fourth-rounder, they'll send Washington a sixth- or seventh-round pick. And if New Orleans gets the Redskins' fourth-round pick, the Redskins will receive the Saints' fifth-round selection."

Posted by: greenback | June 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

brown, thanks, still sounds like a steal to me......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 8:12 AM

Good point RSH...I forgot Rosenfels played in that system in '08. That just makes the signing all the better once he gets cut. Clear upgrade and I would feel a lot better about the QB position if McNabb were to go down (knock on wood).

I hear what you're saying about the young project player, but we're still a year away from having a great need in that department. There's still a chance Colt ends up being that guy, but I'd think Shanny would want to get his own handpicked "QB of the future". With the QB depth in next year's draft, I'd think that the team will address that in 2011.

The joy of the McNabb deal is that we don't have to be pressured into finding that franchise QB right away. We can wait a couple years if necessary and get the RIGHT guy instead of the "right now" guy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

red, whenever I see, "lebron james's mom" I immediately think of delonte west...and his herpes..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
________________________________________________

Bingo!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Good find greenback, thanks dude.

Greg, no doubt it's a steal...giving up a mid-round pick for a Pro-Bowl tackle is a HUGE coup for us. There's literally no downside unless Brown is hurt and ends up leaving next offseason. Neither scenario seems likely.

This move makes me comfortable with the O-line going into the season. My only gripe is that I'd like to see us get more athletic at guard.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

bean, Lebron's mom is FOUL.

She must've put it on West something fierce, she isn't attractive, she's older and...

It's Lebron's mom! All the women at his choosing and West does Lebron's mom?

Sick.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:29 AM
-------------------------------------------
Whenever I get into a conversation about depth at QB with the Redskins, I just have to reflect on the "QB farm" the team had during the Beathard/Gibbs years. I would love to see us get back to those days when every year we had a rookie QB and a few years later we were able to trade that guy for left tackles, draft picks, etc. Remember how we got Jim Lachey for Jay Schroeder? Some of those QB's stuck, like Mark Rypien, but some of those guys were great fuel for trades like Stan Humphries.

I would like to see the team get there again. I am not saying they need to do this, but it always kept pressure on the starter and it added to the team's ability to trade for other players.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
________________________________________________

Brownwood may be on to something here...
I might ask, what are you thinking regarding Bartel or Colt?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

This from the Post:

Posted by: greenback | June 21, 2010 8:27 AM
------------------------------------------
Greenback, that quote doesn't make any sense. They are giving away the fourth rounder twice, but getting something different in return. I think the second sentence should be "third", not "fourth"???

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Greg and Red,

Here ya go...'nuff said:

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

The title of this thread deserves a "no homo".

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 21, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
_____________________________________________

Laughing; as soon as I read this my mind thought, "What about Marko Mitchell?"

Brownwood, you placing that debate in your category as well?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood may be on to something here...
I might ask, what are you thinking regarding Bartel or Colt?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 8:41 AM

Those guys are training camp arms, IMO...they'll have to ball out big time to get consideration for the 3rd QB here. With McNabb entrenched as the starter, you'd have to think that Rex is the backup...unless Sage comes available and pushes Rex to 3rd. And don't we have Daryll Clark from Penn State? Either way, it's at best an uphill climb for Bartel or Colt to make the roster.

Damn, I can't wait for training camp...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I might ask, what are you thinking regarding Bartel or Colt?
Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I know that question was for Brown.

But I would like to say that despite the 3 QB setup of McNabb, Sage, Rex being clearly stronger than having Bartel or Colt in the 3 slot. I would argue its better for Kyle Shanahan and our QB coach to have a young QB to work with to keep their training skills sharp than to have 3 vets who don't need that work.

Coaching like any trade can be rusted if they don't practice their craft.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Typical $nyder operation. Same as it ever was.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I can't imagine the type of trash talk Lebron receives regarding West and his moms.

I'd get thrown out the game every night.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Ray, I'm dead set against debating the value of ANY player that rarely saw the field. Every player at the pro level has talent or potential...just because a guy looks the part doesn't mean he plays the part.

I just read up on this rumor on LeBron's mom...sounds like it's made up. Besides...look at her! You think she's pulling a pro athlete? She looks like LeBron with long hair! He'd have to bang her outta spite for LeBron...that's the only conceivable reason to stick your dick in something THAT heinous...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

still see they're sh*t pot stirrers on the prowl this morning...

Some need to switch to decaf while others need ALL the caffeine they can get.

Hell, just replace the sugar with blow. You need all the energy you can get. Depressed and bitter is no way to go through life.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Fred's Mom brings him Campbell's Chunky Soup to the team meetings.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | June 21, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

hess, if thats what you think, if you think that trading for DMac, and JBrown is just same old Snyder, then I have to ask who signs you onto your computer, because there is no way you do that on your own.....you're just that stupid it seems...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure they don't forget how to coach. You gotta figure the rookies know the Xs and Os, it's just a matter of getting accustomed to the speed of the game and reading defenses pre-snap. I'd imagine there's not a whole lot the coaches can give them that experience itself won't teach.

Bottom line is, you gotta roll with your best 53, whomever they are. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go into the season with only 2 QBs, especially if we end up having to carry AH on the roster as inactive.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

*The coaching staff, Embree said, does not tolerate mistakes such as players aligning incorrectly.*

DOH! So much for Devin Thomas...

Posted by: p1funk | June 21, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

For anyone keeping score...Delonte West went to Eleanor Roosevelt H.S....

Posted by: p1funk | June 21, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

brown, it's not made up.

Delonte West isn't wrapped to too tight anyway. Dude suffers from bipolar or depression, or a combination of both.

She easily could've manipulated him. Her being the pedophile preying on the young with mental issues...

Seen it a thousand time on Law & Order: SVU....

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Delonte and Mrs. James?

How did I not know about this?

I know Delonte's uncle. I may get punched but I'm gonna have to ask.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

The title of this thread deserves a "no homo".

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 21, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

In Rocky III, there is one of those classic training-for-the-fight montages with Rocky and Apollo Creed.

It's probably the most unintentionally homo-erotic montage in a mainstream movie that I have ever seen.

They need to edit in a little scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen that says "No Homo" on any future DVD releases of the movie, otherwise a young generation watching the movie for the first time is going to grow up honestly thinking that Rocky and Apollo became Brokeback lovers...

Posted by: p1funk | June 21, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Never resort to name calling, makes you look out of your league. Mcnabb and Brown have never played together. McNabb is on his way down, Brown could be damaged goods. These are things that will pan out over the season. It's all on paper now, although you'd think we just won the SB if you listen to most posters. Bean, it's just an opinion, get a grip.

Signed, Stupid

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

For anyone keeping score...Delonte West went to Eleanor Roosevelt H.S....

Posted by: p1funk | June 21, 2010 9:06 AM

No offense to anyone who went there, but it seems that school has churned out a few famous crazies...like Martin Lawrence, Mya, and now Delonte "I Took the Porn Site 'My Best Friend's Mom' a Bit Too Seriously" West...

I used to live near there too...if I hadn't gone to private school, I might be on that list...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

hess, come up with something new, you're 'same old synder' (you sound like eore from Winny the Pooh) routine wore thin about 9 years ago. if you can't see that Bruce/Mike are running this ship, if you can't see that DMac is an upgrade, and that Jbrown is an upgrade, and were gotten for CENTS on the dollar, then maybe whomever signs you onto the computer isn't doing you any favors.....

I've said before, if you REALLY want to boycott snyder, stop following the team.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for your clarification regarding your previous posts.
I was / am still thinking Kyle Shanahan might prefer to keep one of the younger guys as the #3 to see how he develops.

We shall see...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Plenty to discuss in the next 6 weeks from my perspective:

1. Will this team be any good? Why or why nor?

2. How to handle AH is a great topic, touches all the bases.

3. "Competition at every position:" rhetoric or reality?

4. Win now or build or both how's that coming along?

F Albert -- Keep Albert

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 21, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Typical $nyder operation. Same as it ever was.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Jeez you really get on my nerves. Old Snyder would have given a 1st for McNabb and a first for Brown.

Can we trade you off this blog for a chimpanzee with a case of diarrhea?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Signed, Stupid

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:13 AM

So if this is your take, then why do you come on here after EVERY transaction saying "typical $nyder"? Why don't you see how "things pan out over the season" before you speak in such absolutes that they sky over Ashburn is falling?

I mean, you're like that clown chanting "Don't ask, Don't tell" everywhere Obama goes. Know your audience, dude...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Old Snyder would have given a 1st for McNabb and a first for Brown.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 9:22 AM

Exactly right...then conditional 4th rounders just to get it done in time for the 6pm SportsCenter, and $100 million contracts for each of 'em. Anyone who can't tell the difference in this team just ain't payin' attention...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan is revamping the O-line, and this is what will get the Skins a couple of extra wins next season. It's baffling that it took the organization this long to address a glaring weakness that was identified every offseason for the past several years.

More than any other offseason moves (bringing in an older big name QB, aging big name RBs, and ancient WRs), getting 2 young OTs (Williams & Brown) gives me confidence that the offense will actually begin to compete next year and in the future.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 21, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I read Ross Tucker's comments on AH and he made the point that sitting AH and not playing him is every players dream. You're getting paid tons of money and not taking a beating. He said the best thing to do is to play him. If he doesn't play hard he is just setting himself up to get hurt.

Posted by: renhoekk2 | June 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Greg, Hess is a one trick pony Snyder-hate-poster. His schtick has gone from old to pitiful. WE KNOW YOU HATE SNYDER, GEESH, WHAT ELSE YA GOT!

My theory on him is either he's that dude CJ on 106.7's Mike Wise show, or he's Sally Jenkins' personal coffee gopher at her New York office.

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Drafting Williams and signing Jamaal Brown are the best moves this team has made personnel wise this offseason.

These are moves for the future.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 21, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

If Colt gets kicked off the team I could see 2 QB's keeping 1 of the rookies on the PSq. That kid from Penn State would be my choice in such a situation. Even though anyone who throws off his front foot like a pitcher needs a LOT of help. Penn Staters are a good pedigree and he has some great mobility.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@BeantownGreg1

If you want to boycott $nyder, stop buying season tickets, Johnny Rockets, etc......

It's still a free contry last I checked. Feel free to trash someone if they disagree with you. If you're confident in $nyder's latest moves after a decade of his dealings, than good for you. Let's see how things are going by week 8. If we're 8-0, that doesn't make a person stupid for not having faith in $nyder. And if the Redskins are 0-8, I won't say I told you so. It's all on paper, just like Deion Saunders and a list to long for my fingers to type.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: renhoekk2 | June 21, 2010 9:30 AM

He makes a good point...but I think it's moot. I'll be stunned if we go into training camp with AH on the roster. I think you gotta cut ties with this guy one way or the other, so I'd count on seeing him get cut if nobody wants to pony up anything for AH. Even if there's a 7th round pick on the table for him, I'd take it just to get him the hell outta Ashburn.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

These are moves for the future.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 21, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Off season champions yet again!!! You guys need to grow some thick skin.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

In off-topic news, N Korea is getting drubbed by Portugal 7-0, which is the American (real) football equivalent of getting beat 73-0.

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Really, I do not care what happens to Albert Haynesworth anymore.

Trade for 1st-whatever
Trade for 7th-doesn't matter
Release- still don't care

He's dead to me

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:33 AM

This is why you're missing the boat, dude...THESE AREN'T SNYDER'S MOVES! Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are running the show. If you can't see that, you're blind baby...you're blind from the fact that you're blind.

There are no "Deion Saunders" signings this year. McNabb was a Pro-Bowler last year. Brown was hurt, but says that he could have played in the playoffs if he wasn't already put on IR. We got those guys and Carriker on the cheap. The even if you don't buy BA/MS running things without Snyder in the room, you have to give recognition to the fact that we're getting top tier talent at low prices.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The AH thing is a classic test of wills; doing anything but daring him not to come to camp is capitulation with long term negative consequences not the least of which is $$.

Sure it's a distraction, but in this instance the resolution is more important than the fact that the distraction exists. Kind of like a war.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 21, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm interested in the Seymour signing of his franchise tender since he could not be traded until he did. He was brought in to help but they still had something like the 29th ranked D against the run. I find it hard to beleive that they think his worth $12M still. They could have AH for less than that.

Posted by: renhoekk2 | June 21, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

What I mean is the way AH matter is resolved is more important than whether it is a distraction.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

NICE!! Hess resorted to bringing up Deion....because thats relevant to what we're talking about....addressing the offensive line with a proven probowl player=signing deion....

high comedy hess....good one....wait..you weren't being serious....??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

One issue I think is worth noting in the Jammal Brown trade:

Does anybody think that in years past (with Vinny), we could have acquired a pro bowl OT just by switching from the 4th to 6th rounds in the draft?

Its likely they would have made us give up a 2nd or 3rd straight up, and Vinny would have done it.

Amazing what having competent people in place will do - both for the organization and how you are percieved and treated by other teams.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 21, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

He's dead to me

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 9:41 AM

Dead to you or not, he's an asset, and assets need to be made the most of.

Posted by: MColeman51 | June 21, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone

It is a free country, you are free to type whatever you want, even if it is the same isht over and over again. (I am free to let you know that)

Some time ago you said the Redskins will never win as long as Snyder owns the team. You said 4-12 this year. Now you are telling us to wait and see.

How about you do the same thing, or tell us a reason, other than Snyder being there, that we are going 4-12. Is it Bad Karma a la My Name is Earl, the Curse of BMitch, A Voodoo Doll you have of CP, give us some substance for once.

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 9:33 AM
------------------------------------------
"That kid from Penn State" (Daryl Clark) worked out for the Skins but was never signed. QB's on the current roster are McNabb, Grossman, Brennan, and Bartel. If I wanted linebackers or offensive linemen, I would go to Penn State. If I wanted a QB, I would look just about anywhere else. Who was the last Penn State QB who played QB - Kerry Collins?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Why are still mentioning Deion F-ing Sanders after 10 years?

Hess, there are a ton of people that don't like Snyder, but don't need to mention how much they despise him in every single post. You with this boycott campaign crap are becoming insufferable.

Post whatever you like, but damn man switch it up from time to time, ya know?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 21, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@brownwood26

You make some interesting points. Being we're not inside Redskin Park, my comments that nothing has changed from past years is the same as your comments that we're on the right track. Forget the Pro Bowl, it's a farce. Just ask London Fletcher. So the arguement that these guys are Pro Bowlers is moot. I don't even watch the Pro Bowl. I never have. Over the years owners have tried to buy teams. They also have brought to much change to their rosters to win. So I ask bean, what happened to building a team through the draft, like so many other successful teams always do? This smells of $nyder wanting to win now, which in my STUPID opinion is more of the same. McNabb is done. He'll end up on IR before the season is over. Of course, hessone doesn't have any substance and is a one trick pony. Hessone says, buyer beware.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Typical $nyder operation. Same as it ever was.

No, it isn't. If it was, we would have gotten fleeced on the deal, like we did for T.J. Duckett and Jason Taylor. Instead, we paid a very reasonable price for a good player in his prime who should fill a major need for the team. So, this isn't reminiscent of a "Snyderatto" move. What this trade and the McNabb deal does remind me of, though, is what Bruce's father, George Allen, did to a greater extent with the team in the '70s: trade draft choices for veterans. That "Future Is Now" philosophy resulted in five playoff appearances and one Super Bowl berth in Allen's seven years. I'm not saying that Shanallen will be that successful, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. And everything that they've done (trades that actually make sense and bargain-basement free agent signings) leads me to believe that it's them, and not Snyder, who are calling the shots.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | June 21, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@RedDMV

After 44 years as a Redskin fan I blame one person for ruining my Sunday experience. I do believe I've posted some other things, although there hasn't been much positive to comment on. I think you could even agree to that. If you don't feel my pain after the last decade of this ongoing mess, I wish you the best. Remember, you guys were just belly-aching about Stompworth like there's no tomorrow and I listened.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

RSH,
I did not hear that Clark was gone. I don't see Bartel beating out Colt.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is done. He'll end up on IR before the season is over

Can you also tell me the powerball numbers for this week, mr magic 8 ball.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

He's dead to me

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 9:41 AM

Dead to you or not, he's an asset, and assets need to be made the most of.

Posted by: MColeman51 | June 21, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

That depends on what your definition of an asset is.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 21, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse
========================================
Do you not remember last season? DEPTH Is a good thing.

Posted by: clark202 | June 21, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

In time, we will know whether or not we got fleeced.

I'll slightly agree with hess that this appears to follow a trend of plashy offseason moves that we've seen before.

There does seem to be a different feel this year, however, now that that f*cktard Vinny is not making the moves.

I'm giving the new regime the benefit of the doubt this year.

The real test is next season.

We've seen Dan Snyder give up control and fire Vinny before (Marty) but it only lasted 1 year.

If we go 8-8 this year, will Dan be able to stay out of it? That's the $64k question.

We shall see.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: renhoekk2 | June 21, 2010 9:43 AM

I saw that too...of all the possible moves to be made with AH, none is better than a straight up swap of Haynesworth for Seymour and I'm hoping that Al Davis is just senile enough to do it. As great as the McNabb and Brown trades are, this one would be a steal of epic proportions.

--start Dr. Phil session--

Hessone, there's no worse feeling than rooting for a team that you think is hopeless. We as fans look at the offseason as a time for optimism, just like every other fanbase in the NFL. So we analyze every move the team makes and hope for the best. Your insanely negative approach is both depressing and pathetic. If you have such little hope for the team, either you're better off rooting for someone else or just becoming an unattached observer of football. All the hate is literally taking years off your life.

--end Dr. Phil session--

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If the Brown deal was "classic" Snyder then they would have signed him to some crazy huge RFA contact that the Saints would not have matched and coughed up a FIRST and THIRD round picks instead of a 3rd or 4th.

Posted by: renhoekk2 | June 21, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Bruce Allen also use this template in Oakland?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@BeantownGreg1

You're a class act bean

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I have a list of new topics

1. Adam Archuletta
2. Brandon Lloyd
3. Stubblefield
4. Trotter
5. Bruce Smith
6. Jason Campbell-good, bad or oline's problem.
7. Carlos Rogers v. DeAngelo Hall
8. Who to get rid of- Davis or Cooley
9. Exactly how done is Clinton Portis?
10.Can someone tell me who this Haynesworth is?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hess when you say the same stuff over and over and over again without providing any substance (i.e. the redskins will never win as long as $nyder owns the team, or we are going 4-12 this year), we are free to tell you your posts are annoying.

Tell us why you think we will never win again outside of of any bad karma Dan Snyder oozes because we've heard that already, or you will be relegated to troll status.

And who the hell is Deion Saunders?

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Anyone want to draw up a wheres waldo picture, but make it where's Albert?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

hess, you said DMac would go on IR and that he was DONE.

but I'm in the wrong?? Sorry, chief, go get some midol or something, and quit whining like a little b*tch....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

And who the hell is Deion Saunders?

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

And what "contry" is he from?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@Original_etrod

Thanks for the reasonable response. When folks write childish things like, " Mr 8 Ball", you've got to wonder. Can't predict the future bean, it's just a comment. Try breathing in the good, and breathing out the bad.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Anyone want to draw up a wheres waldo picture, but make it where's Albert?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 21, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

He would be too easy to spot unless the setting is Sea World.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone want to draw up a wheres waldo picture, but make it where's Albert?

Posted by: alex35332

That be easy just color the whole picture brown

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone want to draw up a wheres waldo picture, but make it where's Albert?

Posted by: alex35332

That would be easy, just color the whole picture brown

Posted by: Predator48 | June 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder loves money.

The free agents his team is acquiring this season cost him less money.

Not to mention those free agents are a better value for the dollar, when compared to our history under Snyder.

I believe Snyder keeps BA/MS for a while, if for the only reason being that they are saving him his precious money.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 21, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

All the hate is literally taking years off your life.

I'm not posting hatred. Actually, it feels good to vent. You folks take this to seriously, but as I said before, It's a free country. Now if you want to take hatred, check out BeantownGreg1 post. Sorry if I hurt your feelings bean.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

Correct me if I'm wrong, which i'm sure BeantownGreg1 will. I believe the Raiders went to the Super Bowl and he was Executive of the year. The Raiders went down hill from there and Allen was fired. Take into consideration who he worked for at that time and who he works for now. Kind of scary.

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Wow. Does anyone think that the issue between west and lebron's mom will have any effect on him staying in Cleveland or not?

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"The coaching staff, Embree said, does not tolerate mistakes such as players aligning incorrectly.

"You can't play if you don't know what you're doing," Embree said."

REDSKIN INSIDER

Someone may want to put Devin Thiomas on suicide watch...

SOCCER UPDATE

Saudi Arabian ref just red carded a Swiss player for pulling his Army Knife.

Posted by: TheCork | June 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

washington's current back-up qb's are not good at all (don't know about bartel)but grossman and brennan...hope that mcnabb can play a full year because if any of the above must start a few games.. s. rosenfels is the same guy that weighs about 128lbs he is not much better than the qb's on the team now, mcnabb is streaky and throws alot of low passes when off target mobility has declined(still better than any qb on the team)but has a strong arm. TE position should be a strength.

Posted by: wathu19 | June 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

--end Dr. Phil session--

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with this. Fan affinity lasts a lifetime. Boycotts can work and remarkably even consumers of a lousy NFL franchise product can force change. I don't think that now is a great time to wallow in Snyder's mistakes, but on the other hand it's an even bigger mistake to try to banish this point of view all together.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
______________________________________________

Again, "Bingo"

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 21, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Embree referencing Davis' mother?

Hang on, I have Dez Bryant on the other line....

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 24, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Best line of the whole dang article: ".. simply because the Redskins have a YOUNG OFFENSIVE LINE."

Yes! After ten years of Snyderatto, this is a welcome change!

Posted by: member8 | June 25, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse