Time for Kelly or Thomas to Step Up

From Jason Reid:

With top wide receiver Santana Moss slowed by a hamstring injury, the Redskins have expressed hope that rookie wideouts Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly could make significant contributions in the final seven games.

Thomas - Washington's top pick - has only eight catches for 63 yards in nine games. Many other rookie wide receivers in the 2008 draft class have impressed, including the Denver Broncos' Eddie Royal (52 catches, 625 yards, four touchdowns) and the Philadelphia Eagles' DeSean Jackson (38 catches, 586 yards, one touchdown).

Kelly has played in only two games because of knee problems, and Washington is expected to put him on the season-ending injured reserve list if his knee does not respond well in practice this week. The Redskins' offense could use a lift from Thomas and Kelly, quarterback Jason Campbell said.

"Knowing Malcolm, you know he likes to play and he wants to be on the field, but he's got that knee injury and you don't want it to get worse," Campbell said. "Those are hard to come back from, especially if you don't give it the time to get better first.

"We'll just see how he works from day to day, and I'm pretty sure the coaches will make the decision on it. But we're getting to the tough part of our schedule, and either him or Devin, we're going to have to start to count on them a little bit."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 11, 2008; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Secondary Makes Room for Hall
Next: Portis, Zorn Broadcast the Injury News

Comments

Can we get some info on Portis. What is all this 2-4 weeks stuff Cyn? If it's closer to 4 weeks I'd like to know so I can pick up some Cyanide on the way home and don't have to go back out for it. Thanks.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

First to say DUH.

Gweez = idiot

LMG = dbag

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter. With CP and Betts out, we're likely losing the next 3, and byebye playoffs.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

1rd?

Posted by: jmicrodoc | November 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM

Dude, I have plenty of hemlock flavored Kool-Aide I can sell ya, cheap!

Posted by: charley42 | November 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

repost:

thanks guys-everyone doing dandy!!! baby amelia actually slept through the night with just one feeding break the last two nights! we do keep her up late being night owls though....she watched the exciting but inept conclusion of mnf game last night and riding shotgun now on RI (while sleeping and farting)....

i think b/c we are older first time parents we dont get as stressed.....but I am sure we are in for it soon enough....

Betts, come back!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh man you pwned me TheTruth....

I feel like UGA against Florida. Well no, not that bad but maybe like UGA vs. Alabama.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The guys are working the story...will keep you posted. Sounds like little AmeLia will be self-sufficient in another week; good job.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 11, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Where is this 2-4 weeks stuff on Portis? I don't see that posted anywhere.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | November 11, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I swear, this is a 'fill in the blank' post.

According to the Redskins coach ... Thomas and Kelly need to step up this week. Its especially important this week because .... said Redskins player ....

Thomas has been ineffective, with only ... catches in .... games. Meanwhile, Kelly has had knee problems all season and has been inactive for the past ... games.

The production is especially disappointing considering the production of players taken in the same round of the draft. DeSean Jackson has ... yards and ... TDs, while Eddie Royal has ... yards and .... TDs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

No depth. another year, another dissapointment. Thanks Snyderato!

Posted by: Leeguru | November 11, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'd love to see Thomas take over KR duties to give Rock a breather so he can focus on RB, and get about 5 balls thrown his way, EVERY GAME...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cyn.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Well this could be worse, the Broncos just re-signed the "baggage thief" Tatum Bell. I'll take S. Alexander over that dude any day of the week.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2

I couldn't agree more.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 11, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Portis is on the Thompson show in 30 minutes...

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 11, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

cL -- saw a comic named Henry Cho a while back. Korean comic with a Tennessee accent (what's wrong with this picture?). He did a routine on being a parent. Goes somethng like this.

"I don't think we're the best parents. Some of our friends were asking if the baby is now sleeping through the night. My wife and I looked at each other. How would we know ...?"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

We should have kept Mason!

Begin arguing amongst yourselves.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

4th, NICE!!!

If only.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the Cowboys advert atop the sports pages on the Washington Post...Billy Jean?

Dallas Week and the Post sells out to Jerry Jones?

I understand payin the bills and prostitution is the oldest profession(older than journalism).

Posted by: tttyler | November 11, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Kenny Banya said it best - "Gold Jerry"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the baggage thief over the tip toe burglar. The thief has better speed.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 11, 2008 2:29 PM |

Well, he didn't have enough speed to get away with the loot, did he?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Where is this 2-4 weeks stuff on Portis? I don't see that posted anywhere.
Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | November 11, 2008 2:17 PM

It came from Henrahan's 'Sources'....

JLaC is I suppose checking with his (*cough* Schefter *Cough*)

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 11, 2008 2:29 PM |

The guy couldn't keep his job in Detroit, are you serious?!!!

Can the Thompson show be picked up on the 'Net?

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Knowing Malcolm, you know he likes to play and he wants to be on the field..."

Uh, no Soup...actually I don't.

UC (unintentional comedy) off the charts...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Oh man you pwned me TheTruth....

Posted by: Gweez"

jeeze, do you ever talk about The Redskins????

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, he didn't have enough speed to get away with the loot, did he?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 2:31 PM

He was caught on tape. Not due to lack of speed.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Good call Cindy...can you let us know what he says? Can you get that online??

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Answered my own question

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

And half the blog wondered why we would keep 4 RBs?

Because of this week, that's why. This week and the next 2-4 to be exact. The got 4 RBs on the roster now.

Gibbs knew what he was doing getting TJ Duckett. For this very reason......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"No depth. another year, another dissapointment. Thanks Snyderato!

Posted by: Leeguru | November 11, 2008 2:18 PM"

Betts was our second string, and if you remember the depth was pretty good when he rushed for over 1,000 yards.

Not our fault our third string RB isn't good enough to take over for a possible MVP candidate. Definitely poor GMing!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

He was caught on tape. Not due to lack of speed.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 11, 2008 2:36 PM

I just knew someone would come back with this lame retort, I couldn't figure out who though. Look, Superman is faster than a speeding bullet. He never would have been caught on tape. I'm sticking by my story that the guy was too slow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"And half the blog wondered why we would keep 4 RBs?

Gibbs knew what he was doing getting TJ Duckett. For this very reason......

Posted by: 4thFloor"

At least complain that we need Marcus Mason.

TJ Duckett, really???

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

are we talking Fred Belitnikoff slow?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

TJ Duckett, really???

Posted by: TheTruth11

Didn't TJ Duckett take Alexander's spot in Seattle?

Just sayin...

God I hope Portis and/or Betts can play.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright will start, SA will run like 4 or 5 times once again.

Am I the only one that thinks Rock can do fine as the main back for one game with Betts coming back after the Girls game?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Didn't TJ Duckett take Alexander's spot in Seattle?

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 2:47 PM |

Duckett is in Seattle, though I'm not sure he took Alexander's spot. In eight games he's had 39 carries for 108 yards.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

15 minute to CP, they are gonna ask about his knee

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Jeez Truth, we agree on something. I also think Rock can handle the job, except for that pass protection thing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Hate to agree with Truth but gotta say I concur on Rock. Hope that CP's playing and starting and that Ladell's back too...but 31 can handle the job if needed, better than a washed up SHaun Alexander. Recall Rock had a 100 yard game a couple yrs ago.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Craig, I'm waiting with baited breath on CP but I doubt he'll say much...we'll see

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11

I wouldn't be completely confident of it, but that would be the best course of action IMO. Of course, watching him get blown up in pass protection against the Steelers wasn't too confidence-inspiring. Also, I don't think he could carry the load and be the special teams ace at the same time. Maybe this is the game where we see Sellers get some tailback carries.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

If someone could post a summary of what CP say's, I'd appreciate it.

I'm 'cautiously optimistic' that Rock, could get it done....his pass pro, needs work...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I kinda doubt he'll say much either, but ya never know!

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I'll do my best, but I have a feeling that our trusty 'beat reporter' here will also be listening.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Big problem with Rock is that he's had serious fumbling issues -- five in 180 carries and receptions.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure one of the greater challenges in journalism is to summarize what Clinton Portis says ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

more shotgun with Sellers in the backfield = pass protection

we'll be tipping our hat at the playcall, but mix in a couple draws to Big Mike. At least see what he can do.

although simplifying this offense would be bad, this offense looks too simple as it is.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Right now they're still talking to vets, which is very gracious of them....."four minutes from CP" said Smokin Al Koken...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is the game where we see Sellers get some tailback carries.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:01 PM |

Joe Bugel mentioned this possibility to George and Sonny on Channel 4 last night.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

classic/true

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

For those saying Rock will be adequete I disagree. Pass Protedction is very important to the passing game. If Rock can't pass protect, then we are done.....

I say that Sellers will be the secret weapon this week (If CP26 doesn't play).

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The most likely outcome is that you will remain an idiot.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, it's funny, we're not the only ones that have issues with our newspaper's coverage.

These fans are more ticked off at their writers then folks get here about JLC.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is the game where we see Sellers get some tailback carries.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Jackpot. Now that I would not mind seeing.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I've been going on about getting our backs into the passing game more, Rock would be excellent at this.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Rock is not an every down back, because of pass pro, he's just to small to block ends and LB's on the blitz, he got run over the last two games for sacks. IF CP can't go (plz o plz o plz o plz no!) its the Shaun show. And I don't get why everyone is so scared, I loved the signing when they did it, and now we'll get to see why. He's healthy and has had time in the system now, he won't be dominant like CP but he'll be just fine if we have to go with him. We'll beat Dallas with JC and the defense anyway, Dallas' secondary is trash and if we shut them down again we win, that simple.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 11, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Sure thing Greg - I'm sitting here with earbuds in like the dbag Truth said I am waiting for CP to get on.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG "

never said anything about earbuds loser

grow a set

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Portis gave a non answer.

Sounds like he won't be playing...

(Dealer - How am I doing?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I think the pass pro issue is the big one, even Sellers isn't as good as CP. CP is on now, I'm shootin for it, but I don't want to hurt the team.

Got hit on it the knee, as the week went on it got worse, second degree MCL sprain, can't even straigten it out now, hopefully by the end of the week, I'll be alright.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

We've run the ball a lot more than most teams. Without CP, if that's the case, we move to a more conventional mix by today's standards. Which means more passes, fewer runs. Thing is, we do have a quality passing game.

I'm also thinking that if we're going to be a more of a passing team, we should consider putting Heyer in at RT.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, no doubt we have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. The Landry/Horton comb isn't quite Taylor/Landry, but it is a Gift, no doubt.

Suspense at WR is killing me, I hope we light up Dallas. Suspense on CP too.

(Also, was that a periculum comment a few threads back, wow.)

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The most likely outcome is that you will remain an idiot.

Posted by: Pleepleus

Come see me when we're 6-6, if those guys can't play.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

any other gems from the interview someone wants to share or do I not want to know?

Posted by: Moose33 | November 11, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

lol from the loser blog :

"
"Terrell Owens, Roy Williams and Miles Austin...Tell me what Defensive coordinator wouldn’t be a little scared having to face that receiving corp. with a healthy Tony Romo throwing to them."

UUUUUMMMM... Greg Blache. Why would he be scared of this lineup? You are aware of their secondary right?
"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

He said hes healthy, other than the knee. Hes gonna prepare himself mentally as if hes playing. If he can go, hes gonna go.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 11, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The bye week was good for the team in general, if the knee hadn't gotten hit, he'd be fine, his body is feeling good otherwise.

He's not sure about Ladell, wasn't on the field when Betts went out yesterday. Both will likely be game time decisions.

If CP's knee feels good before the game he will play, if not, then he doesn't want to hurt the team. Even if he's not 100%, maybe if the other team is game planning for him, then he can at least take some attention. This is a very important game against the 'Boys.

Last game is over with, Skins can't think this will be an easy game, sure they saw the Pitt game and will try to do what they did.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Well S. Alexander if ever there was a day to salvage your career, looks like Sun nite in prime time is your shot.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

CP just said that Rock would be the man if he and Ladell can't go...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

doesn't sound promising, especially if he can't straighten out his knee at the moment...I guess he could be blatantly lying to throw off the girls. One can hope.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 11, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The 3 most critical individuals to the offense are Samuels, Moss, Portis (since Betts is injured).

The drop in talent to replace any of these guys is immense.

Right now, all 3 are dinged up. Still, you have to think we can beat the 3 weaker teams without these guys (Cin, Sea, SF) and compete against the better teams because of our defense.

As much as Portis is a big concern, if Jason Taylor and Springs are ready, we'll be tough on anybody.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Another zinger from CP, re: Dangelo Hall - "So he a Pro Bowler, then goes to Oakland, they pay the man $70 million and he suddenly can't play...I'd love to be in those shoes"

He also just gave a rousing shout out to Texas Tech. Who doesn't like Mike Leach?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hall brings a lot to the team. 70 million dollars for 8 weeks of work, that's a good deal, if someone wanted to do that for me... Lots of laughter.

I'm not worried about us getting our focus back and being ready, this is a big game. We just gotta convert our redzone opportunities, get back to protecting the ball, protect JC better, give him the time he needs.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

He said he's healthy other than the knee...kind of a big "other". It's like Dale Jr. saying the car is running great but we don't have any tires.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If Portis is out, Heyer should start.

If I see Jansen standing beside a sacked QB one more time this season I'm gonna flip. Awful!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Come on, tell us something we didn't know already... obviously it's time for Kelly and Thomas to step up...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 11, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

CP says Malcolm can be one of the guys who contributes the most, if hes healthy.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 11, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"Malcolm gonna change a lot of things for us when he gets healthy...Devin gonna be a great player, can't let the pressure affect him...when he make a play, you know he made a play...when he don't, you know he didn't..."

Ladies and Gentlemen, CP

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

They can say its Rock all they want, and maybe he trots out in the first series, but your nutz if you dont think Zorn/Stump Mitchel aren't going to give Alexander his shot to be lead tailback. Look at the carries already in relief of Portis.

The dude does know what it takes to be a productive tailback in this league, and is plaing for his career. maybe we will be suprised.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Addressing this very thread:

I think Malcolm will be the guy to step up the quickest, this bye week was probably as good for him as any other guy on the team.

Devin will be great player, he just got to calm down and play football.

Fred probably next in advancement within the game(of the three), but he's got Cooley in front of him, so he may not get to do much too soon.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Coach said _ I think youre gonna play on Sunday

CP - I hope youre right.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 11, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thompson (after a spirited political debate by CP on Obama) - "You know what I think? I think you gonna play Sunday"

CP- "HA, I hope oyu right my man.."

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Portis says he could play Sunday, that he expects that he and Betts will be game-time decisons.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 11, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

For those who know injuries, CP says he has a 2nd degree MCL sprain.

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 11, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

let me spell out for everyone here how the Skins take down dal.

D E F E N S E

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

a creative gameplan is mandatory if CP is out. How about a few direct snaps to ARE? D Thomas with his speed, or even Deangelo?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | November 11, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

As positive as this makes Kelly seem, this reflects just as poorly on Devin Thomas. With every passing week, I become less and less impressed with Thomas. These guys will be needed to step up more than either Rock or Alexander if Portis/Betts can't go.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Chrislarry - I hope you're right about Alexander. But it is so clear that he lost about a step and a half over the last couple yrs. He is soft and slow. I cannot imagine that he starts over Rock. CP said it in passing, as though it were a given, that Rock would be the nexst guy in line. I think that has to tell you something.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Without Portis and Moss (or a full speed Moss), running and passing will be difficult. Agree that Heyer should play rather than Jansen at this point with more passing likely. Hopefull Betts will be able to play if Portis can't, Moss will be ok, and Thomas can finally step up (as #3 instead of Thrash, who should play special teams only). A lot of things to hope for.

Posted by: ipesq | November 11, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

That was pretty good. I thought when I saw Kelly in camp he looked so much more polished than everybody else (of ALL the non-starters) and CP thinks he's the one that can make the biggest difference if he can get his knee healthy. I guess that's why Zorn has waited so long, sees lots of upside.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

psps23, agreed. Not calling him a bust yet, but he's got a long way to go to be a productive WR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I would love for Malcolm Kelly to step up. I think the Skins need a player on offense to be "that guy" in the 2nd half of the season.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 11, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: beating Dallas.

Carlos makes a pick and takes it to the house.

[yawn, waking up slowly from afternoon nap...A guy can dream can't he?}

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

WHY NOT BRING BACK ANTHONY MIX?!?!?!

Posted by: laxpro95 | November 11, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I was disappointed to hear his lack of confidence in Thomas. Obviously, he's a guy with so much to learn, very raw talent.

His impact on offense is probably a next year more than this, but you never, maybe being called out a bit publicly(and not harshly) will serve as a kick in the ass.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"If Portis is out, Heyer should start."

Heyer's a running back?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Given the struggle of DT and MK, I'm really surprised we haven't seen more two TE sets with Sleepy and Cooley.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Did the Shehawks pull the string on McMullen?

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

When Miles Austin is healthy no one in the league can keep up with his stuff. The only person with even a chance at touching him would be Henry Baskett the third.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

+++Now there was nothing wrong with this post. A bit of "slap" to the rookies, but JR doesn't exactly "take any shots", why cant' JLC do it this way?

Posted by: craig2

I couldn't agree more.

JM220+++

Imagine our surprise

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

LMG, I ain't sayiNg SA will be good, just that if CP/Betts is out he will get a bunch of carries...

I don't care what CP says on some radio show or what official word is, they will lean on S...just look at the carries since Betts has been out.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Taylor... the proud, quiet man, who is now reportedly fully healed from his injuries. I think JT feels like he owes his teamates...and his naysyers... a big second half. No time like primetime to light up the Girls Oline for a few Romo ass plantings and general beat downs.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:27 PM
---------------
Not to go easy on Thomas, and not to take anything away from Royal and Jackson or from Jason Campbell for that matter, but Denver and Phily really sling the ball around a lot, and get all the guys in their offenses involved.

The performance Cutler put on the other night was as impressive as anything I've seen since, well, those seasons that Donovan McNabb put up 400-yard games with consistency.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 11, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch says, knowing CP, he'll probably try to play, but if he takes a hit on it, it'd be a problem.

How effective would he be if he wore a brace.

B.Mitch sounded pretty doubtful.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

How does Cooley manage to never get hurt?

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree that SA will get most of the carries not Rock. Hopefully if they know that Portis/Betts aren't in they tailor the running game to SA's strengths. A guy cant' get THAT old THAT quick can he?

He should be in football shape now no excuses and this is his chance to resurrect his career.

Maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't want CP out there if he's gonna damage it further....no thanks to that.

Rock, you've been calling for your carries, now is your chance.

Someone on Defense needs to step up, Landry, Taylor, either one, I don't care who it is...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify one thing, he said he thinks Rock can get the job done if given the chance. Rock is his boy, but I wouldn't interpret that as meaning the coaches intend to play Rock in front of or for more snaps than Mr. Tip Toe.

Posted by: PatM1 | November 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Portis says it's a grade 2 MCL sprain.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

If Anthony Mix were any good he'd be playing. If a 6'5", 240LB receiver can't get picked up, what does that say about him.

I agree with a previous blogger. I think Zorn wanted to wait to put Kelly on IR because maybe Zorn really believes he can contribute. He could have put him on IR a long time ago. I actually think Thomas will be good once he settles down.

Also, can anyone remember when the Redskins actually threw a jumpball in the redzone for a touchdown?

Posted by: rickyroge | November 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see what LaVar said about Gibbs and Snyder?

Posted by: mrizzle | November 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The last time the Redskins threw a jump ball to the end zone for a touchdown, Wes Unseld caught it

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

""If Portis is out, Heyer should start."

Heyer's a running back?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

Are you dense?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I know CL, SA has gotten more carries than Rock since he was acquired. But it seemed at least noteworthy that CP would assume Rock is the man to step in. It could be the Nyquil.

I'd say maybe Zorn wasn't blowing smoke like I thought...CP probably really is 50-50 at best...need a Ladell update

And I agree with whoever said J Taylor is ready to step up. He is healthy and indeed a proud pro.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Once again RI, let's read the tea leaves. Rock Cartwright is not an every down back. He actually tested the FA market and didn't get a whiff...not even as a backup. If anybody knows RB's, it's Gibbs. Rock is a tough guy and a good specialist, but an everydown back he ain't. I'd like to see Betts get the nod if they can glue the ball to his chest.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

++++"No depth. another year, another dissapointment. Thanks Snyderato!

Posted by: Leeguru | November 11, 2008 2:18 PM"

Posted by: TheTruth11+++

I believe his comment wasn't RB specific. Sure, there's no depth at RB, but that's only one position. (Bettis ran for his 1000 yards years ago, and was hurt or underperformed every other year.)

Here's other areas:

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Manute Bol. Unsled set the screen to free him up.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"For second degree sprains, the rehabilitation period will be between 6 and 8 weeks."

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Nope, not dense - it just seemed an interesting statement -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

No one loves Rock more than I do. That being said, if anyone thinks Rock will run the ball better than a man 3 less than three years removed from an MVP record breaking season you are insane. The man is rested and 100% he was a great pickup now let him ball.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Isn't a 2nd degree MCL sprain the same injury that Ladell has missed a month with?

Posted by: PatM1 | November 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This could easily be 1996 all over again.

If CP is out, Z-man needs a better game plan than he drew up vs the Steelers.

Also, if anyone sees LaVar around town, give him a little pat on the head. Dude needs some attention.

Posted by: jeffhayes1 | November 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

both useless this year

Just like your posts, and your point of view....imagine that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

If Portis & Betts can't go, I expect to see less of the Mid-West Coast Offense, and much more of the 'traditional' West Coast O.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Hayes sighting always good! What up man!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 3:44 PM"

I tried reading that, I really did.

But whenever a player is injured, it's a sign of bad GMing and proof we have no depth.

When someone returns from injury fine or we draft a good player, we "caught a break".

Come on..

Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Also, #55 in your program. Yeah, that guy. He's supposed to be fully healthy. First time this year. Watch #55 for havoc wreakage...

Posted by: 4-12 | November 11, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yo CL- congrats! Me and Mrs Hayes just had a little squirt of our own over the summer. Awesome times...I haven't been puked on this much since my high school days.

Posted by: jeffhayes1 | November 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I will note that Jay-Tay hasn't been talked about, and when players aren't getting talked about, that's when they're dangerous. Is he 100% healthy now? Is he practicing full strength?

Also, what was the magic number CP "didn't" want to get over in amount of rushes?

Just read that right now Marion Barber is on pace for 306 total rushes. Is that more or less than CP?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

When people say the Redskins lack depth what team are they holding to the standard of having enough depth? I don't know a team in the NFL that has more depth than the skins. When people comment on the depth they refer to the loss of players that no team could recover from. You can't lose the players that make you an elite team and expect to be an elite team still. No team can do that. Losing Samuels Moss or Portis has nothign to do with depth. We are talking aobut three of the best players in football. I don't know of any team that has an all pro backing up an all pro.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

TheCork - You're reaching with that one. The defensive side of the ball has had injuries all over the place, and despite this, the Redskins are still ranked #4 overall. The backups have stepped in near seamlessly. That's precisely what depth is.

Although the lack of depth at WR is troubling, considering it was assumed to be offseason priority #1, and we invested 2 high picks in that position.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

How many teams have true depth? Some teams may be able to go two deep with talent in all positions. LaDell Betts is a great #2 back, Smoot is a legit third corner, Evans and Montgomery provide depth on the D-line, etc.

This is a good team, just not a great one...yet.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

havoc wreakage...like the sound of that

Pleepus, gotta respectfully disagree. I really hope I'm wrong here but Alexander looks totally washed up to me. I know it's a limited body of work to look at, but he has looked slow and soft. Less than 3 yrs removed - I'm sorry but that means nothing. Running backs over 30 - especially ones that have taken that much punishment, are rarely good. He hasn't done squat since we knocked him outta that playoff game in early '06

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I just read that Marion Barber is on pace to be put in a body bag by Griff.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 |

380 is the magic number.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Deep depth is really a deep concept

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Stick a fork in Alexander. And a rusty Betts makes me nervous that he brings his old pal Mr fumble to the party.

Can Alexander pass protect any better than Rock?

I remember Rock killed it in St Louis a few years back...against a far inferior team but I still think he brings more than Alexander.

Posted by: jeffhayes1 | November 11, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

God I'd love to have Anquan Boldin. Flat out beast.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"Nope, not dense - it just seemed an interesting statement -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

Then yes, Heyer IS a runningback.

Keep up the good work and to hell with Tryon!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Jeffhayes. Let's hope it's a moot point and CP and Ladell can play.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Peter King :

"Bottom line: Pick a wild-card team in the NFC. Atlanta? Philly? Washington? Tampa Bay? Dallas, if Tony Romo gets broiling hot? One of those will have to travel to Phoenix on the night of Jan. 3 for the second game of the NBC wild-card doubleheader. The Cards with a home playoff game. Unless you're on Social Security, you've never seen that."

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

To be fair I thought he always looked slow and soft. The carries I have seen him take as a skin look like the hardest he has ever run. I'm not banking on him to take the NFL by storm. I'm banking on an older player that was once great reaching down deep and pulling a few more performances out of the bag to show the world hes not quite done yet.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

""If Portis is out, Heyer should start."

Heyer's a running back?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

Are you dense?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't stop laughing at the irony of this. Truth, I can't quit you.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Exactly what I see from him as well. Mind you, if CP isn't there, I want Betts to be the one to fill in, but SA has shown me something, there were a few carries in the Detroit game where he really HIT the hole, and fought for yardage. I was impressed. And I have never liked him much, always thought he was overrated in Seattle, just a dam good line up there during his productive years.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Pleep - if he's needed, I hope he's got it in him. Trust me, I want to be wrong on this one but just doesn't feel like he's got anyhting left to me.

Any chance Riggo could sign a 10 day contract?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jeffhayes1 | November 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Like I said yesterday, we got 'em right where we want 'em, boys!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"I can't stop laughing at the irony of this. Truth, I can't quit you.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG"

Your obsession is about to start making it awkward.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"no offense to Mr Reid, but the supporting text for this headline could simply read "duh".

Posted by: jeffhayes1"

See : 2nd post.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

How does Cooley manage to never get hurt?

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:37 PM

Cooley doesn't get the ball 25 times a game, and doesn't often get hit by guys bigger than him.

---

So Portis can't straighten his leg all the way. Crap.

But how are his pockets? Are his pockets still straight?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

we have good depth. But no team can cover all bases. We've been hit hard at LDE (3 guys down), but Evans has been good. We've gotten hit in the secondary and Horton, Moore, Torrence and Smoot all held up pretty well.

Losing the top 2 RBs is a tough thing for any team. With Rock and Shaun and Sellers, its still got some talent. Can't blame that on the Spaghetti Gang for that one. They really made a good effort on depth except the o-line and LB

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Portis Pockets Straigh IMHO

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Heyer is starting regardless of who's running the ball. Jansen only got back in because of injury; he was OK for a couple games but has faded. Clearly doesn't have a full season at a high level left in him. Put in the Terp!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

testes

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

How does Cooley manage to never get hurt?

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 3:37 PM

---

So Portis can't straighten his leg all the way. Crap.

But how are his pockets? Are his pockets still straight?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

When Cooley is not catching passes he is blocking. You could argue that Cooley takes contact from someone bigger than him on nearly every play.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

+++The skins lack depth in the DL. This is why they desperately went after JT and E James, both useless this year. +++

They went after Erasmus James in May and got him for a song. A former 1st round pick who was signed as a longer term project going into THIS year after coming off major knee injury reconstruction.

Taylor was signed after TWO yes that is TWO DLinemen went down to season ending injuries the FIRST yes that is FIRST day of Training camp.

Say what you will, but BOTH moves were good moves at the time they were executed. If Taylor has recovered from his injuries and plays anything near like what he is capable...Skins "suddenly" start to get more pressure across the Dline.

+++They have no depth at WR, despite drafting two WRs in the second round, and bringing in two more, later cut. Moss hurt? Passing game shuts down.+++

I think Kelly would be having his praises sung quite loudly if he had not suffered the lingering knee issue. His skills and ability are not the issue. Agree Thomas needs to step up. Both are better than McMullen, Mix, etc.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

+++The skins didn't have enough depth at DB. No one foresaw injury trouble to Springs. What a surprise.. Caught a break with Horton and when Carlos returned form his Owie better than before.+++

Disagree... I think Redskins noted their lack of quality depth at DB...that is why they explored trading for DHall in the summer, and why they drafted several DB's. And when DHall became available, they signed him pronto to significantly upgrade the secondary depth.

+++The skins didn't have enough depth at LB. When Washington is dinged, they are hurting. Caught a break with Rocky's healthy return.+++

Don't disagree. Adding at LB next draft should be a priority IMO. BUT, its not like thier back ups totally suck. Blades and Campbell both make plays...but are not as good as those in front of them.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

+++The skins don't have enough depth on the OL. Okay okay, that's not obvious because no one went down with a season ender like last year. But due to age and size and wearing down factor, the OL struggles with Samuels dinged and can ill-afford to lose anyone. Plus, for the future, only one real starter has been added, Rinehart.+++

At least we got rid of Wade. Fabini is on the way out after this year IMO. More than anything, the Redskins need to reload at Oline. Draft another young Guard/Center and another Tackle. Its too bad Crummey got signed away by Cincy...I think he had real upside but had to be let go to the PSquad to keep the veteran Fabini around in case Thomas/Kendall went down during the season. I imagine Rinehart starts in front of Kendall next year, and Heyer starts in front of Jansen...Zorn wants to evolve to an offense featuring Campbell/Moss/Kelly/Thomas/Cooley while decreasing Portis' workload to eliminate some wear and tear. 5 less running plays per game is 80 less per season... give Betts 5 more of what is left and that is 160 less runs for CP. CP getting 15-20 a game is much better over the long term of the season than what he is currently getting. That is what the Redkisn are building towards. Young Olinemen with feet moving skills are a necessity. Jansen/Fabini and to a lesser extent Kendall are not the answer.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"As much as I am pissed at Kelly right now...it's kinda hard to deny that the kid has major talent- like game-changing talent- based on 1) the early returns from minicamp; 2) general comments by teammates; 3) most of all, Zorn's willingness to wait out his knee injury. He will be very good, I think probably better than Jackson and maybe Royal. If we can get anything from him this year that'd be nice but I'm thinking he doesn't really "step up" until 2009. #11 on the other hand....if he could just learn that stupid playbook...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG"

I hope this kid is a Hall of Famer right away or you might be severely upset. Talk about putting the pressure on.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

As much as I am pissed at Kelly right now

LMG, really? For being injured?? Really??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

okay article about how out of control NFL games get

but the best part is the fan picture at the top, is that you LMG????

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

+++"according to STATS Inc., (Hall) was susceptible to major breakdowns with the Raiders. Offenses have thrown at Hall 66 times this season, completing 40 passes for 552 yards."+++

What were QB's ratings against him, about 120?

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 4:25 PM

The difference is that when blocking, Cooley is initiating contact or at least can see it coming. The common thread on a lot of injuries is that they result from an action for which the injured player can't prepare. A QB getting hit from behind. A receiver who's focused on catching the ball and can't do anything about that quickly closing safety. A lineman whose leg gets rolled up on.

The body has an instinctive ability to prepare for an obvious collision. If it didn't, getting blindsided wouldn't be such a big deal.

Plus, all other things being equal, some guys are just built more sturdily than others.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

If Betts can play, he'll start IMO since SA is too slow and not a power runner. I actually could see them using Sellers more as a runner regardless of who is the starter if CP can't go.

I'd hate to risk our season by trying to play CP on a bum knee. He will heal up quicker and be ready for the December stretch if he doesn't play against a Dallas who will be doing everthing possible to get hits on his leg. Betts is more expendable if he plays and gets hurt during the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zorn gave SA some carries in the first half to see if he had anything left in the tank. Rock is also too small in pass protection which means a lot of Sellers on obvious passing downs. Maybe Cooley plays some out of the backfield on passing downs to catch screens, checkdowns, etc.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 11, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Our OL wins in the trenches against Dallas.

Rock or Alexander should be able to average 3.5 to 4 per carry, Betts maybe 4 to 5, and CP 5. But Betts and Portis aren't 100 percent so we just need a balanced game plan, so we aren't too dependent on the run.

On the short yardage plays gimme some Iron Mike.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

...or should I say Walla Walla Mike?

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

And Pleepleus, if Cooley gets hurt this week, I blame you. ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

North Thurston Mike.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The o-line depth issue is something the Skins should have drafted for starting 2 years ago. The odds on Reinhart being a quality starter are somewhere in the 50/50 range. He's a long way from a lock.

If you need 5 OL, you draft 10. Skins have drafted only 4 OL since 2003. Two are not in the league, Dockery moved on since the Skins didn't try to sign him early and the only one still here is Reinhart. And we don't even know if he can play.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

so for those wondering what hsi injury is and how serious it is then here is a quick definition the MCL is the large ligement that connects the thigh and shin bone a second degree is dame to multiple igament fibers a third would be a rupture and a first degree is to just a few ligaments

If he does have a second degree he will be out for at least 2 weeks that is if he heals faster than normal if not could be 4 weeks

My idea for the reason this injury majically appeared and got worse over break is that it can take up to 24 hours to have any symptoms of the sprain and with the players on bye week and getitng a break he stiffened up and it is very dificult to loosen back up he should be on a Wobble board which is a board balanced on a ball and he has to stand on it like a surf board or skate board and balance himself by shifting weight from left to right using his MCL this will strengthen and heal his ligament damage as well with plenty of padding braces and lots of ice......

Posted by: drkeller1 | November 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

++++One of the best things about this team is that someone will step up and get the job done. SA and Betts, and Rock, someone will step up.

Posted by: craig2 +++

You live in california, right? I assume that because practically anyone with a pulse can get Medical Marijuana in the Sunshine state.

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Have Justin return KO'S let Rock run the ball let Mr Softee(Shaun) spell Rock,DeAngelo returns punts, hopefully like Jason Reid said one of the "Wonder Twins" step up(don't hold your breath!!)and the defense holds Romo and Girls in check, not an impossibilty.

Posted by: dargregmag"

awful ideas for the most part.

You want to put the Dallas game in the hands of DeAngelo Hall...in his first game as a Redskin....at punt returner....a position he hasn't really played much at all in the NFL.

Then you want to put Tryon at returning KO's....a rookie...

ugh

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

and don't get me wrong, I would like to see DHall get one shot at returning a punt. That would be bigger than the game.

That's Zorn telling the new guy that he's gonna put trust in him if he can play, and it's giving DHall a chance to show he can play and it'd be giving DHall a chance to earn a reputation with his coaches, fans, and players.

But the downside of that experiment could be much worse.

It would be a tough decision as a HC. Personally I think I'd let him get one in the third quarter if it's a close game, which I think it will be. Make or break time!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 +++

Excellent post. The two best teams in the NFL are such because of their lines. Great teams always have very good to great lines. You can fake the rest of it.

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 4:50 PM

Sunshine State = Florida
Golden State = California

In the Sunshine State, anyone with a pulse can get social security. Those without a pulse are Georgia Bulldog fans.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 4:55 PM

Personally, I'd watch what he does in practice and then make a decision. But I'm just a talent evaluator, not a head coach.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I get it. If the Skins depth actually performs they caught a break , otherwise it's lousy FO decisions ....Moron

Posted by: Pthomas2mm | November 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Zing!

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Florida is the Sunshine State. Not Cali.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

So maybe he is checking out the Gainesville Green, LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

your all idiots

Hail to the Redskins

GO DAWGS WOOF WOOF WOOF

go....Bobcats?? nevermind...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

So, let me see now, Truth - you wouldn't put the Dallas game in the hands of Hall, but you WOULD like to see him get it in the 3rd quarter when the game is on the line....

Huh?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

And some of you people think we've got a bad FO, how about giving away a draft pick for...

Nothing. That's right, nothing.

From Schefter:
This season, Seattle has added and subtracted wide receivers at what seems to be an unprecedented rate.

It continued Tuesday, when the Seahawks released veteran wide receiver Keary Colbert, whom they acquired from Denver shortly before the trade deadline.

But it was not a conditional draft pick that the Broncos received. Despite Colbert going on waivers, Denver still will get Seattle’s 2009 5th-round pick.

The Snyderatto has done some pretty bad stuff, but MAN, this is not good work at all.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Skippy, who doesn't know how to email, dropped off his midseason report.--CORK

The SESSION to DATE by SKIPPY

Hi. My Name is Skippy and I have a metal plate in my head. I live in a foreclosed Doublewide with Mama and the twins of my former dead sister, plus our cat Mr,. Whiskers IV. I really really like Lemon Meringue Pie

Skippy has recently have had his mental plate removed, rotated, repolished and regrooved before being re-intercepted into Skippy’s Skull Dome. The cracked Surgeon, Dr. Vinnie Boombatz promised no slide efforts.

So here is Skippy’s recession of the Skins session to date, at the Buy-week. Skippy celebrates his buy week by buying a vowel, new skivvies and a hooker. (The hooker is for Ma, who wears them out doing her needlepoint.) Pt. 1 First, which is defensive, in keeping with most posters on the board.

Defensive Backfielders: Horton Hears a Who is an unmitigated success and could be Rookie of the Beer. He matripulated at UCLA (Unusual Collection of Lousy Athletes) and was daft in the seventh ground, but has been an unquantified success. Rookie Careen Moor has been okay but rookie J.T Tryon couldn’t cover a sofa with ten yards of upholstery.

Sam Springs hurt his cusp muscle and covers the bench. Fred Snoot walks the talk but doesn’t always talk the walk. Carlos Scissorhands has been very good in coverage but couldn’t catch a cold with a mosquito net and a salad-shooter. Skippy read about DeAngelo Hall, but he thinks that’s a campus dormitory.

Linedbackers: London Calling is one of the best aground. Rocky Mountaintop recovered from season saving surgery last year and has been very good. George Washington gets donged a lot, and H.B. Ginsu fills in for him.

Defensive Line: The ‘skins traded for Jason Taylor in case a dance class broke out at Redskim Park. He’s been hurt ever since, probably because he weighs about 150 pounds. Dermatitis Evans is the team’s Saks leader. Kenston Gobstop leads the team at Sears. Monty Wooley leads the team at Wal-Mart. Andre Carter is pretty good, but unspectacled. Cornelius Bennett bursts into tears during team prayers and treast his teammates to a postgame rubdown. Eraserhead James plays about as often as Jesse James, who’s been dead for a century.

The defense is 4th in the League which is the best in the league except for the other three.

Next Up: My lunch. Then, following lunch, The Offense Half of the Team.

Fondly,

Skippy

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

+++Florida is the Sunshine State. Not Cali.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe +++

You're right dude. I blame the weed. California is the Garden state. Anyone got some Oreos?

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

LOL
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 11, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Skippy rulz
aL drulz

(all over cLs back...and front too.)

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Two great posts, Cork!! Skippy (formerly dcsween/redcoat) and then admitting you don't know the Sunshine State from your where-the-sun-doesn't-shine. Bring more of this stuff.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Cork, that's actually pretty creative stuff. You can write man. Do you actually write? Stories?

Oh, and sorry, but your football intellect, well, your an idiot.

LOL

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what's the latest with Portis? ESPN doesn't seem to think he'll play. What percentage are we at with him?

Posted by: bubba13 | November 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

i say 10% chance he plays this injury is no joke

Posted by: drkeller1 | November 11, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Rock is from the Granite State.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

i say 10% chance he plays this injury is no joke

What? Are you serious? How are we going to win without CP? I can't picture it.

Posted by: bubba13 | November 11, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bubba13 | November 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe 75% of this thread has been about the portis injury, you don't have to read the whole thing, but read a little and you'll get an answer.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's other areas:

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow Cork, so its the FO's fault that we don't have a Pro-Bowler backing up every position?

At RB - Betts and Rock are "depth". Betts has been injured in the past, and I guess that's Cerrato's fault, eh? Because it doesn't happen anywhere else in the league w/ RBs. The last time our O-line was healthy and together Betts was a monster when he got more than 5 carries a game.

On DL it looks like Evans and Wilson are providing decent "depth", despite have 3 other injured LDEs (also Cerrato's fault?).

At DB we have so much depth that we just let a guy walk and have perfomed well enough without a starting CB and our previously starting strong safety. And drafting Horton was a "break"? When the picks bust, it's Cerrato's fault and when the picks do well it's lucky break...solid reasoning there.

At WR, we have no depth. Bad moves there.

The problem on this team has not been depth. It has been lack of continuity/consistency with our coaching staff and offensive schemes.

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Trippin’ along with the Medical Maryjane has helped clarify my perspective on the Redskins running woes. Herewith, my analysis...(with a little input form Skippy, who, afterall, is the one carryin')

FIRST STRING: Clinton Portis has a 2nd degree MCL sprain. Doc says it’s two weeks. He SITS.

SECOND STRING: Ledell Betts. A backup who’s never back up to speed when needed. He SITS

THIRD STRING: Jason Alexander. Traded to ‘skins from Seinfeld. Old, slow, bald-ING, and stocky. Will cramp up during anthem. On IR by halftime.

FOURTH STRING: Rock Cartwright. Hes needed to runt eh ball back fromt eh goal line to the 20 after each Dallas score. Hopefully, he’ll have enough energy to play a little RB. He PLAYS.

FIFTH STRING: Marsha Mason. Robbed of the Oscar in “Chapter Two,” released during the preseason. No longer available. She SITS.

SIXTH STRING: John Riggins. Tanned, rested and rotund. His liver could still carry for more yardage than most backs in the NFL today. Will be flagged for shouting “Loosen up, Sandy Baby,” after each carry.

SEVENTH STRING: Stephon Heyer. Someone on this board suggested he start at tailback. I didn’t THINK I was the only one sucking the wrong end of the bong.

EIGHTH STRING: Traded to Denver for new rims for Danny’s Hummer.

NINTH STRING: Knowshon Moreno? Can THIS be right? The skins’ got him? What? What’s that you say… RITA Moreno? Nevermind.

TENTH STRING: Vinny’s Hodcarriers. Craig2, Browntown Bob, Talent Evader, and the rest of that crew who inspire me with each “Your an idiot” post

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Skippy, minor correction. Andre Carter is spectacled when off the field.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

+++On the OL, I guess you don't count Heyer as a "future starter" along with Rinehart? Also, I'd like to know what team out there has a guy who can step in for a ProBowl left tackle without missing a beat.+++

I considered him the current starter until his shortcomings kept him from getting his job back from a old warrier with two bad wheels who he'd replaced.

He may not have missed a beat at OLT, but he missed more than a few blocks.

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Okay,why not Justin Tryon on KO'S? the kid is scary fast and it ain't rocket science and why not DHALL on punts(okay maybe not all the time) gives the girls something to think about Rock is gonna need to be at full strengh to replace CP because i don't see him playing Sunday night and from what i've seen of Shaun Alexander........ well we don't wanna go there.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 11, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

beep beep.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 11, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Eureka, I have it now...

Cork is periculum, who posted again for the first time in many months a few threads back... it explains so much.

The only question is was the periculum post an accident?

hmmm. Won't lose sleep, but...whatever.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 11, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse