Time to Think About Jacksonville

It's going to be a tight workweek for the Redskins, who may have to actually play Thursday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars (and a gguy you'll all remember: Gregg Williams) at FedEx Field. The last preseason game is usually a snore-fest, but this one promises to be a little different after the stinkeroo in Charlotte on Saturday. Do you play the starters and risk injury or do you do what most teams do with the final preseason game?

The team will practice at 1:20 and it'll be interesting to see what the vibe is. Also, a couple more roster trims will be coming, since the team has to cut down to 75 by 4 p.m. Tuesday (and to 53 by 4 p.m. Saturday).

Jason Reid and Paul Tenorio are at Redskins Park today; Jason LaCanfora is tending to some house issues. JReid and PTen will have updates throughout the day. And Mike Wilbon will be chatting at 1:15 today.

Mark Maske will keep an eye on the Michael Strahan saga, since that would have to have a particularly important bearing on a Sept. 4 game that kicks off a little something I like to call the NFL season. Even if he comes out of retirement, it would take take him a month to get ready to play, no? Good thing Jason Taylor had already been snapped up by another team ...

By Cindy Boren  |  August 25, 2008; 8:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fox, Oshinowo and Smith Released
Next: Sinclair Is Released

Comments

Gold medal! Oops. That's like so 2008.

Posted by: First | August 25, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | August 25, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Where is the beach volleyball???????

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

gguy you'll all remember: Gregg Williams

By Cindy Boren | August 25, 2008; 8:15 AM ET

gguy? First I thought of Jasno and his porky little fingers on the Blackberry. Then I remembered Cindy and her unbounded cleverativity. Way to ggo, Cindy.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Where is the beach volleyball???????

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 8:35 AM

Did your uniform arrive today and you're ready for your try out?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Ha! No, talent. Those who've been following RI on twitter will know that when I arrive each morning and turn on the craptastic TV on my desk, there magically appeared beach volleyball. And, when I trudged home to le crib Boren and turned on the superduper TV, there magically appeared ... beach volleyball. It seemed to be the most grueling of the Olympic events, given that each team had to play 873 times in 21 days. It couldn't have had anything to do with the outfits, right?

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I plan to stragetically use double g's all week, or at least until I either tire of it or you gguys tell me to stop.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

This Strahan thing is such a media-created story. Did anyone actually call Strahan about coming back? Is Strahan's agent pimping him out like Favre's did? He's got a bunch of media stuff lined up and he's not going to be sitting on a tractor pining for the old days like Favre, nor does he have the same history of waffling. Why the hell is this a story?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I hope Zorn was blowing smoke -- motivational smoke, kick-in-the-burgundy-pants smoke, such as -- when he claimed he was considering playing starters more than a teeny tiny bit in this last exhibition game. Any starter playing should see a series or two and then hit the showers.

The fifth of five freakin' meaningless exhibition games/injury opportunities. Ugh.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"It's going to be a tight workweek for the Redskins, who may have to actually play Thursday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars..."

Imagine that...the Redskins might actually have to PLAY in a game???

Looks like the whole team is suffering from ClintonPortinosis - an increasingly common mental disorder where highly paid NFL starters believe they have an inalienable right to loaf it until they decide it's time to take their jobs seriously.

Posted by: p1funk | August 25, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Having one of those short-circuiting moments where the image of the uniforms worn by the beach volleyball players (I presume we're talking about the women's beach volleyball competition) is mentally split-screened with an image of Gregg Williams... I wonder why that would be? Oh right...

Who was it that so insidiously planted the image up here of Grilliams wearing some kind of tiny undergarment? A million panties references won't make it go away. Lord knows I've tried.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I think the starters having to play in the last game is a good thing. If for anything than the shame factor of having to play in the final preseason game.

Granted they should be limited to a couple of series, but there psyche may need a jumpstart at this point.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, I wonder, does Mr. Kornheiser ever drop by any more? I wonder if he'd have anything to say about Jacksonville this week... I seem to recall his waxing poetic about the relative virtues of that fair city.

Speaking of which, if this were a real game that mattered, we'd be talking about the distraction factor of TS Fay's impact on the JAX area. But since it isn't, we're not.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I was speaking of the ladies' beach volleyball. NBC didn't seem to give equal time to the dudes. I can't imagine why.
Speaking of TK, Talking Points resumes tonight with Wilbon going solo for a bit...TK may return later in the week, but he's still recovering from hernia surgery last Wednesday. Until the third week of September, it'll be just Wilbon 'cause TK will stay out on the road for MNF.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

He has been back to Jax -- and lived to tell about it -- since the Super Bowl column.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Answering your question about Strahan...I'll let you speculate who the source might be:

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

When will the NFL change it to give these teams 1 less pre-season game.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

So I didn't see the game Saturday what did I miss how did we do? Was the score close?

I remember sitting down to watch it but I blacked out and have no recollection after that till i woke up in fetal position around 10:30.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh right, ladies' beach volleyball.

On the men's side, I thought it was terrific to see James Carville get a gold. You knew he'd be a fiery competitor, but it was a surprise how fit and trim he is. And he's taller than I expected.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

I discount that whole article. As that fine journalist Larry Micheals has taught me real journalists don't use sources. They just ask their boss what is going on then parrot it.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Part of me agree with Zorn about playing the starters more than 1-2 series after the Panthers beat down. But then again the way pre season been going with injuries. Hell no!

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I am just glad it is a primetime game so I can actually watch it. For some reason in South Jersey, none of the joints here carry the NFL network

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Such a good call on Carville Nate

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I absolutely LOATHE pre-season injuries, to the Redskins or any team for that matter.

I wonder if the phins regret not holding onto Taylor longer. Had they kept him, perhaps Osi's injury would have driven the price up?? Oh well..

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

1. Those who voted that the Skins will be 9-7 or better should wake up.

2. The decision to draft three pass catchers is now looking worse than ever!

3. I wrote this before and Ill write it again - in order to win in this league you have to establish the run and stop the run. [Caveat: Unless you have a QB like Peyton Manning] We can do neither.

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 25, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Wyatt. I've been waiting for someone to finally chime in. Doom and Gloom.

Posted by: Chcken Little | August 25, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Nice pic of Carville...(He hosted a nice party for TK when he got the MNF gig and it's surprising how fit he is. He's a runner and sponsors an annual benefit run in Alexandria, Va., for Katrina relief.)
I guess Larry Michael doesn't drink Evian, since it's bottled at the source....

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The team dominates the line of scrimage for three stirght games but now because of one game they are terrible?

The team holds adrian Peterson and Marion Barber to about 3 total yards, comes back with all but 1 DE, replaced him with a better DE, but all of a sudden can't stop the run?

Think about what you are saying, if you really believe Phillip Daniels can do anything at all better than Jason Taylor you are either Daniels his wife, or mother.

Posted by: The Miz | August 25, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Evian spelled backwards in Naive..

Go with the waterhose!

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Waterhose spelled backward is Esohretaw....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Go with the waterhose!

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 9:20 AM

HELL YEAH

Posted by: #1 Baywatch Fan | August 25, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Can't we wait until the regular season to start freaking out about losses? Oh, wait, that would make sense. They looked bad, really bad, but it's still preseason. No reason to get too excited or dismayed yet. Let's at least wait until after the first quarter on September 4th to figure out if the season is lost. Jeez.

Posted by: [cc] | August 25, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for chiming in, Mr. Earp. That's mighty fine prognostication you've got there. And so contrary to popular thought. I would not have thought that anyone would write anything critical of the Skins after a 47-3 loss. That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking we need around here.

Posted by: Choowee | August 25, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is Carolina on "the radar" this year in the NFC?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see James Carvel as a team manager for some sport. He is one of the most evil SOB's ever, which is great in 2 areas sports and politics.

Examples of Evil wining. Rove,Belecheck

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

That's right Cindy, straight out the tap for me!!! I'm not one of you high falootin left wing hippy MSM types. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go fetch the paper for Danny. If I get it to him quick enough he pats me on the head.

Posted by: Larry Michaels | August 25, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Actually Miz, I'll take Philip Daniels on Running Downs over JT any day but overrall JT is clearly the Superior player.

I didn't read too much into the first 3 games so I won't over analyze this one. The only thing that really worried me was Soup's indecision and happy feet in the pocket.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Yes and No WY. Always a good D, but lets face it, the offense has basically been about the Steve Smith Show for the past few decades. I equate what they are to what Baltimore does.

1.5 dimensional Offense(the point 5 is for the 10 other players on the side of the ball) + A-class Defense.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Ach, just gave myself a little dose of melancholy... at a Nats game during their first season in DC, I saw Carville and Tim Russert sitting together right behind the Nats' dugout. The whole game, Carville never stopped talking, and Russert never stopped eating. In the wake of Russert's untimely passing, it's not as fond a memory...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

What happy feet. I think the problem is 17 is not moving around enough, if he needs to buy time he needs to run a little.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

That makes me nervous, If they are a one trick pony, then why could we not hold them?

I guess we will wait and see...I still think they will be fine this year

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Lest any of the above detractors believe i am jumping on the "negative bandwagon".... I have been saying this for two months now.

I said it last year; and I said it the year before...

If you want to win - you establish the run, and you stuff the run.

The decision to draft three pass catchers was moronic. For if your QB is laying on the turf, your vaunted pass catchers will just be doing wing sprint exercises all game....

Go drink some more Koolaid - don't cost nothin!

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 25, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone on the team grab Carvels face, mistaking it for a catchers mitt?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Do you have some stats to back up this claim, or was that just out of your orifice that you pulled this??

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I think the skins will still be running the ball once the season starts, that they are trying to see what the passing game can do this pre-season, because they know what the runners are about.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Two theories about pre-season:

1. The objective is to avoid getting anyone injured.

2. The objective is to select the best players to start and for backups and to get them ready for the season opener.

If you believe in #1, then the only guys who should play Thursday are the ones we plan to cut Saturday. If you believe in #2, then you play your starters until you're satisfied that they're ready for the opener against the Giants.

Okay, here's #3:

3. The objective is to sell more tickets and beer, while helping Cindy get the blog count up.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Poor Deadskin fans with their hopes for a Super Bowl dashed. Back to the real world of Danny Boy Snyder playing fantasy football with the team while simultaneously losing at pocket pool.

Whose next on the coach roulette wheel? Will Danny's boy toy Mr Cruise become the new general manager.

My initial preiction was 5 and 11 but that is way too optimistic 3-13 is very realistic. No O or D line. A confused young Q'back. Receiving corp who meets in the training room. A running back more interested in cross dressing. Gotta love those Deadskins!

BTW who shaved TK for his surgery Stat Boy, Wilbon?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 25, 2008 9:31 AM

How do they do wing sprints? Run and flap their arms like a bird? Sounds too much like the Eagles or the Ravens.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

If one does not realize the importance of the run.... then you are either too stupid or too young to post your opinion and should be reading instead of posting on the internet!

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 25, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Wyatt,

I slept with your wife

Posted by: Doc Holiday | August 25, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Wyatt,

You can draw whatever conclusions you want from the game and they certainly looked awful but teams Sh#$ the bed all the time and deciding that the team is awful based on one game, a meaningless one is pretty silly.

2 games and 3/4 into last season I don't think any Giants fans were talking about ticker ttape parades.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:31 AM

If he'd run on Saturday night, the sacks would have been for 20 yards, not eight yards. You can run, but you can't hide.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 25, 2008 9:39 AM

Wyatt,

Greg asked you for your evidence, and this is the best you can do? Man, you should keep your gun in your holster because you're shooting blanks.

Posted by: Motivator | August 25, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

In other words, you have nothing to back up your claims, things like facts, etc.

Thanks for playing.....moron.

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

One thing I thought about was JZ's innovative teaching tool of throwing things at a QB so he doesnt focus on the pass rush.

Did that work too well? A couple times JC should have felt the rush an skirted but he didnt. Maybe he was thinking the DE was like a blocking pad and would bounce off of him.

Oh well, maybe we are just trying to make him something he is not... IDK!

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

We all have to admit that was a horrible game by the Skins, but at the same time it was a hard week for this offensive line in particular. When anyones leader loses a loved one everyones affected by it. These guys love Buges like a father and after the tragedy that hit his family I don't think any of them had their heads in the football game this whole week. By the way I think this beating was the best thing to happen to us before the season starts, it's a slap in the face to wake up and start preparing for every game as if it were a playoff game. We were in cloud 9 after winning the first 3 PREseason games now its time to come back down to earth and bust our butts. Everyone needs to get on the same page, it's not the end of the world and lets not jump to conclusions from this game but work towards improving.

Posted by: DC Skins | August 25, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Examples of Evil wining. Rove,Belecheck

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:26 AM

Still waiting for Rove to get his. I wonder if it will ever happen ? And Dick Cheney too ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Wyatt,

Who would you have drafted with the 2nd round picks that would have helped our running game this year? I think our running game will be strong, and we will run the ball. Seattle runs the ball alot and this offense is alot like theres.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Skins | August 25, 2008 9:51 AM

We give that sentence a 9.6. Three cliches in one sentence! Well executed but unfortunately, the degree of difficulty was not high.

Posted by: Cliche patrol | August 25, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The sky is......oh never mind, everyone here already knows

Posted by: Chicken Little | August 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Questions for everyone:

How much does a game like the Carolina showing affect the psyche/confidence of these players come Sept. 4th. Very little ?

Does playing them in Jax ALSO serve the purpose of developing some better psychological momentum heading into the Jints game Sept 4th.

I know sports are very psychological too. But I am just not sure if this is a legitimate concern. Because I am sure that everyone has got to be crossing their fingers now that it has been announced the starters will get some extended playing time against Jax especially after the J.Taylor scare. At this point the skins have played 4 preseason games just like everyone else will have by next week. Thoughts on this whole psyche theory.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I hate Rednecks and Cowboys.

Posted by: Wyatt Slurp | August 25, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Earl;

I believe a slap in the face can be a good thing. It wakes you up to the reality. But after the Jets game there shouldnt had been a need for that. Unless a win overshadows bad play... just like a loss overshadows good play.

Either way, it is agreed that at least it happened in preseason and not the reg...

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow - no wonder I couldn't find any coverage of this game... geeze louise.

Well - I'm glad it's out there & this team can see how bad they actually can be.

Hmm - shiny new receivers don't really help much when the QB is starin at the sky...

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh well, maybe we are just trying to make him something he is not... IDK!

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 9:50 AM

Well according to Zorn. Three of the first four sacks JC didn't have a chance. So maybe we are trying to make the line something they are not.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Soup's use of the pocket is not particularly good. I believe he needs to understand more about how his pocket is going to collapse. It could buy him another second.

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 9:54 AM

Earl,
Not to get on a rant but, they never will, for a simple reason, in politics today justice is deader than dead. One of Obama's COS said they won't go after them because it may deter people from being involved in politics.

My standard response is that its not a bad thing to deter those who would miss use political power from participation. I believe in coming down hardest on those with power, and I mean unreasonably hard, and use authoritarianism only against those with authority.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"Jason LaCanfora is tending to some house issues"

I think he is just still recovering from a hangover after he went off into a 2 day celebration commemorating the Redskins blow-out. I'm sure that made his weekend unforgettable.

Posted by: Frankfurt J. Goldenrod | August 25, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 10:12 AM

Maybe, Dik, but that game Saturday night I never saw a pocket that he could use. Guys just ran past the O-Line like they were blocking sleds. Zorn said that there was only one sack that he thought JC could have avoided -- the one where the brought the ball down.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

To answer the question on players mindset post loss

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Earl, if anything, I think it was good for the team. They got taken down a peg, hopefully they're embarrassed by how they played. I know Jim Zorn somewhat called out Samuels for getting blown back into Campbell, and you know what good for him for doing that. He needs to call out a couple more guys on the team as well.

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:13 AM

Couldn't agree more Alex. What are your thoughts on the other post I put up at 10:04 ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Alex just got your response to my question on psyche.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

He needs to call out a couple more guys on the team as well.

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 10:16 AM

Yeah, but I'm not sure he needs to do it in public. I'm worried that he can lose these players with too much public criticism.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

JM;

I am thinking that about the line as well. They are a running oriented line. But i hope it was that we just didnt scheme very much for a beast DL like thiers. But we'd better. Playing in the NFC BEAST

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Earl,

I don't worry about the mindset of most the players as much. I think the vets know how to deal with a loss like this, see the post of cooley's blog. Most the rookies are not going to be starting in 10 days but it may hit them harder and in different ways. The guy I worry about is Reid Doughty, if you saw him at the end of that game, the guy looks like he can't handle struggling at this level of play. I think we have a major hole at Safety and no one really there to fill it, (not trusting it to a UFR or 7th round pick but Reid makes way too many mistakes)

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

If Doughty isn't cut or demoted to 9th string there has to be a conspiracy. Anyone with eyes and has ever watched or played football know that guy has no businees being in the NFL.

Posted by: T | August 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

T,
The problem is we have no plan B. If there is one I would like to see it in 3 days.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Between Kareem Moore & Chris Horton who is the more "natural" at Doughty's Safety spot (which is SS right ? ) Or did they both play the SS through out their college careers ? I thought one was a FS and the other was a SS ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

TE,

If he looses a player for calling them out in public, then they should not be on the team what are they 10 year old girls. Alot of great coaches called there players out in public. Parcells and Lombardi did it all the time. These guys have been babied for the last 4 years it is time they get called out when they screw up, and if they are the kind of players we want they will respond like men. I am harder on my 10u girls softball team then Gibbs was on his players.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

JLC was just on ESPN First Take. He says he thinks Jason Taylor will be out for the first game and maybe 2-4 weeks instead of the 10-14 day prognosis. Guess work or is someone at Redskins Park saying this?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

T,

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:30 AM

You play Moore at SS and leave LL at FS

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I'll give the Skins a mulligan for Saturday's game. But the OL and DL better play ball in the opener or it will be a long season.

I'm not sure which 1st team blunder cost the team more -- every OL (except the Guards) getting beat and failing to protect the passer or the DL and LBs not being in position to force tackles against the run and never coming close to pressuring the passer.

Let's just hope this was the worst case effort and we never see this type of performance during the regular season...

Posted by: Siris | August 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I just worry about starting a guy so young.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

They got taken down a peg, peg, hopefully they're embarrassed by how they played.

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 10:16 AM

I'm sure they're embarrassed - and don't call me Peg!
__________________

I'm sure TE. I didn't get to see any of the game being here in MIA.. :( ... or :) ?

But I do remember his pocket knowledge from last season being a problem & saw some in earlier games this preseas.

As far as the Cooley blog - if this team was confident after those first 3 games they DESERVED an SJK-whoppin'!

Hail the Underdogs!

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Wishful thinking from a Ravens fan.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Siris,

Kendall was blown up one play as well. R Thomas was the only one I saw not get beat or blown up outright

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 10:12 AM

Quality post. Couldn't have summed up the first half offense critique better. Anybody that isn't worried by what they saw from the offensive line is drinking WAY too much kool-aid.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Guess work or is someone at Redskins Park saying this?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Do you really need to ask that question? Of course it is guess work.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I just worry about starting a guy so young.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:34 AM

At somepoint we have to start young players, I think he will be fine he is better then Doughty.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

It is even more important now for LL to be ready for the start of the season.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

km, I tend to agree with you, if Zorn calls them out, and they can't handle it, then I'm not sure what to make of that, this team could use some tough love.

Brown, with this injury does the luxury of keeping 4-rb's no longer exist? Does Jackson make the team now, to give some depth to the DE rotation? What about Wilson?

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Probably educated guesswork. We all know how optimistic our medical staff is. Landry was day-to-day with a hamstring "strain"? Yea, right.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I think the SS FS issue help the young CB's trying to make the team. You may see Springs have to slide to safety early in this season if Doughty doesnt make it. I cant see them starting Moore or Horton along LL. And Especially since LL may still be out.

Tryon and Richardson should both make it now.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I will give the line a mulligan they were dealing with alot and did not look prepared. Bugel was gone all week and that could have played a role. If they lay an egg against the Giants, then I will start worrying. I still think Janson is on the way out, I know some do not agree but he has been terrible all preseason.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

You play Moore at SS and leave LL at FS

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:33 AM

Probably better the other way around. Moore seems like a natural ballhawk FS, while we know Landry can be an in-the-box guy if he wants to be. Not too sure about Moore's ability to pull of the SS spot. Landry at SS would be my vote.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I think you have to keep an extra DB and an Extra DE, so 4rb might not be an option. I think they will keep 3, the ? is what 3.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

What about the idea of rotating who plays the spot between the three (maybe springs once in a while) until a starter shows up. let them fight it out the first few games. None of them seem to have that 46 Safety style I think we need to help manage the box. Reid is the nearest but misses way to many tackles. I think Horton and Moore both have the skills to be a hard hitter in the secondary and cover WR's but dunno about run coverage.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 10:39 AM

Greg poses a great question to all of you 4 RB supporters. I like M. Mason a lot, but this is why all along I thought keeping 4 RB's was a horrible idea. ( Rock's gotta stay)
I think keeping R. Jackson off the practice squad and ON the 53-man squad is a good position for the Skins to be in.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

psps,

I am with you on that Moore has started two preseason games at FS and has looked good. He took some bad angles on a couple of plays but other then that he made some good plays.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

So;

LL Stays at FS. Springs moves to SS to start the season while rooks get acclimated.

Rodgers and Smoot starting CB's. Torrance at 3rd CB, Richardson at 4 and Tryon at 5 cb.

Westbrook to PS, once Rook can take over (if ever) SS, move Tryon to PS and say bye bye to Westbrook.

This whole situation helps westbrook the most since he should not make the team otherwise

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

K;

I did see Moore fly in from FS to make a run stop all the way across the formation in the red zone. Good read and pursuit. His open field angles are not that great when the RB or WR has open field in front of them.

Maybe he is more sutied at SS. I just havent seen him at that position.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I would almost rather move Smoot to FS and LL to SS. Smoot seems unable to play man coverage all pre-season, Rogers is freaking out playing him. Put Smoot as FS and let him play a deep zone, last I remember he still had good hands.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Zeese, the problem is he still needs to be able to support the run from deep and come with a vengeance... Smoot doesnt do much with a vengeance.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Possibly one of the 10 worst skins games I've ever seen. Reminded me Marty ball, early in the 2001 season. Maybe it's the whole switching to WCO like we did back then. At least that season we finished 8-8, doubt that will happen now, especially if the defense can't tackle worth a crap.

Posted by: Help Us!!! | August 25, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I may be wrong but I don't think Marty runs/ran a WC.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

There's no way that Springs or Smoot start the season anywhere other than CB. Rogers isn't ready to take the full load of a starting corner yet, despite his ahead-of-schedule return to the lineup.

This whole situation is simply difficult. The GG to Blache transition hasn't gone as seamless as many wanted to believe. Let's hope Blache can pick these guys up within the next two weeks.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

With JT missing a game or two, Evans becomes the starter in his spot, with James and Jackson rotating in for Carter/Evans. Maybe you can throw Evans at DT, and put MWash in the DE spot for a series or two....

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Alex

would you rather start a young guy with potential or a guy with 3 yrs experience who is worse than archuleta and couldn't cover me?

Posted by: T | August 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, the better it sounds to me.

Springs playing SS would be great against TE's. He needs to bone up on his angles of pursuit ( i am sure lisa would volunteer) but he can tackle and is still quick.

We all know Springs future here will be at safety, so it may be time to move that direction.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I think Evans/James can replace JT for a while, but if its all we got for a season then thats bad. I liked how they played all pre-season.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't SS the spot that plays in the box much like a small LB ? And is a much more physically rugged postition than FS ?
If this is true why would you want Springs who doesn't have the frame to be dropping his shoulders and absorbing punishment from FB's and RB's on a regualar basis to play this spot? Everyone knows despite his quality skill set at CB he is always battling injuries every year since he got here and even before that. Why would you want to put him at SS and not the more physically imposing and harder hitting Landry if anything at all ? I don't see the logic on this one, fill me in.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

At least we don't have to worry about Reed being discouraged by the boos, since he won't be able to hear them...

(sorry, sorry, sorry... couldn't resist)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to be a fly on the wall, when Blache reviews the film with the defense.....I'm sure he wont be sparing anyone's feelings....

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

PSP;

Rodgers has shown more in 3 quarters of play that Smoot has. I kept seeing him on Sat, breaking up plays, riding Steve Smith off of his Route on the INT. Moore fair caught that ball. Rodgers made the play to disrupt the pattern and the DLline got in the QB's face.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Zebra -

I'm not saying that Rogers hasn't played well. In fact, I'm probably one of the biggest Rogers supporters you'll find here. But I wouldn't trust him just yet to go 4 quarters, game-in game-out as a starting corner. And I don't trust Tryon or Richardson to provide relief (and only slightly trust Torrence). Springs, Smoot, and Rogers all need to be available at CB for rotational purposes. I'd rather be soft at safety than soft at CB.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:51 AM

Smoot at safety is a HORRIBLE idea. He's probably the worst tackler at CB we have and he's not a guy who plays zones well (ask Minnesota). At this stage of his career, he's best suited to play the nickel--man coverage vs. the slot receiver.

I don't know why the team doesn't just look at moving Rogers back to safety. He still hasn't demonstrated that he can play man coverage, and since many have said he's better suited to play CB in a Cover 2, playing safety makes sense. He's big enough, more than fast enough, and tackles well. If I'm Blache, I at least look at it. Could help Rogers' career...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if 7th round pick Chris Horton plays the SS spot or the FS spot ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

cut torrence too, is is as bad as anyone out there. skins need to be examining the cut lists of other teams very closely.

Posted by: T | August 25, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

All I can tell you is he plays a bit more physical then needed at FS but I am not sure if its physical enough for SS

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Horton's a SS.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Like Horton alot...he is a ball hawk

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 25, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Quick question is it fair to say a SS needs to play more like a Deep LB w/speed and FS is like a deep CB?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Earl;

That is how we played with Arch. That is not really how we played last year. The SS creeps a little, but not usually past the CB's.

If a TE lines up out wide, then Springs would probably man up on him, as he would with a 3rd WR in nickel.

He isnt the best SS, but I think he is more sutied til we know if Horton or Moore can play that.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:18 AM

Basically. Although you don't necessarily have to have speed to play SS (see Lynch, John). It's more important to play the run well and keep everything in front of you in the passing game.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Tryon better be a gamer

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Nate -

I expect so much more from you than 11:02 post. You can get away with it if you are funny, but that was just a cheap shot.

Posted by: CBT | August 25, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"Do you play the starters and risk injury or do you do what most teams do with the final preseason game?"

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy.....

NO, and it has nothing to do with injuries...it has to do with rest.

If Zorn is stupid enough to play his starters on a short work week when the other team will most likely NOT play thier starters then the Redskins will not win.

Why on earth would you force your team to play even a quarter this weekend when the first game of the season is against the World Champs on a Thursday night?

Can the Redskins really be that dumb?

Let them rest and have your coaches actually gameplan something then we'll see what we have on the 3rd. Otherewise you're just handicapping your team even more and that makes no sense.

Maybe by then they will trade a few 1st rounders for a new starting right tackle. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 25, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I don't get why folks are so down on Doughty. He's a backup who's forced to play in the starting lineup because Sean Taylor died. He's what we thought he was (thanks, Denny Green)--a 6th round pick for depth at safety.

I still don't see why we didn't make a run at John Lynch. Sure he's at the end, but on 1st and 2nd down he's better than what's here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I would not minded lynch as a stopgap, but I am not sure on the $ we would need to get him here. As in, do we have any left.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Looking back on saturday night, at least we got 3 points!

Posted by: OPTIMIST | August 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

(sorry, sorry, sorry... couldn't resist)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 11:02 AM

Come on Nate! You are better than that.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I may be wrong but I don't think Marty runs/ran a WC.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:57 AM

The year he was with the skins he did. Jimmy Raye was the OC and it was WC. When he went to SD he took over a Norv Turner offense (yeah, again) and hired Cam Cameron to run it since he was a skins assistant under Turner in DC. Maybe Marty learned it's very hard to move to WCO from a Don Coryell system like we are doing for a second time... Anyone remember the 2001 season!?! :(

Posted by: Help Us!!! | August 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:25 AM

That was last year. This year, he is pegged as the starting SS alongside LL - which is why we didn't go after someone proven in FA or someone higher in the draft. That's why we are (and should be) down on Doughty.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I heard Oronde (sp?) Gadsden speaking on the quality of Arena League d-backs this weekend.

He maintains they are actually better coverage guys than the NFL players due to the 'high motion' that Arena League employs.

Give our seemingly dire straights at depth in the secondary, that would be cool to try out, wouldn't it? They'd definitely fit under the cap... and if they don't work, eject 'em...

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ray | August 25, 2008 11:23 AM

Ray, technically this ISN'T a short week. They play on Thursday this week and start the regular season the following Thursday. I know there's the injury risk, but after what happened this past weekend, I think Zorn is nuts NOT to play the starters.

They have to prove to themselves that they can play good, efficient football before starting the season. It's kind of like the age-old question of whether to rest starters at the end of the regular season when you've clinched everything going into the playoffs. Gibbs always played his guys to the end and did well doing it; guys like Dungy and Reid have chosen to sit their guys, often to the detriment of momentum. This decision will say a lot about what kind of coach Zorn is.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Ty Law?

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:29 AM

Doughty is a stop-gap. Nothing more. If/when someone better comes up in the next year or two, he's back to the bench.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

wait, wait, our game this week in on Thursday?

Oh man!

got an interesting college game this Thursday in NC State/South Carolina AND my Skins playing!

Oh man, it's freaking FOOTBALL SEASON

PS - Not too worried about what we saw last night. Speak to me in 11 days.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:35 AM

First you have to figure out what's respectable. I think he will get 3,000 yards and average over 1 TD a game. That may be respectable and lead to a 4-12 season.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The 4RB question is real and needs to be addressed.... I say dump Rock and go younger and better... Wait before you start typing me and hear me out....Rock's play on special teams have been great and well appreciated but he is not a good Running Back but a helluv a Football Player. His play can be replaced on special teams because every year players are replaced with younger and more skilled players that will learn and get better themselves at the same position and please note he replaced someone else six years ago. Circle of Life in Football......Marcus Mason can run the football without question and yes he is third this year but next year he will move up the charts because the Skins will need to address the age and salaries on the running backs in front of him because their performance is not as strong as many of you would like to believe. Many cried that CP did not make the Pro Bowl over Barbar in Dallas but why should he if his yard per carry was under 4. So I give him one more year before the skins go searching in the Draft for future running backs to fit this system. Marcus is young and good at running the ball and if given the chance with the first line he will still produce because of his style. He can run between the tackles which is always a plus in the NFL. Many will cry that he fumbled the Kickoff three weeks ago but damn it was one fumble but he still average 27 yards a return. If you code him a fumbler why is it that he carried the most of all the skins back this pre-season and last and nevered fumbled. Start to build the team young and give the new coach a chance to coach like a rookie coach and learn but build in the process. Look at the Vikings model...Rookie coach three years ago and now they have Super Bowl talk because he still built a solid team in the same process of installing his version of the WC Offense which takes time. Mason over Rock if you need to make the choice today because he will provide a better future option. Don't think with what you are use too sesing because the plan is to always think about today and tomorrow and not Yesterday because there is nothing you can do about what is behind us. The future is now and you must prepare for next year because Betts or Portis will not be here and Rock is not a solid back up as a Running back to give you 5-15 plays a game on offense.

Posted by: Football Fan #1 | August 25, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Anything short of the Playoffs & Soup can look to be a backup anywhere in the league ;)

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I half expect the QB situation here to be like it was with leftwich in Jax for the past few years, JC=Leftwich and Colt=Gerrard. I hope im wrong though.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Question if Campbell doesnt have at least a respectable year is this the end of the road in DC??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:35 AM"

I was actually thinking of this on the way to work this morning. Depending on how he does, let's just say he has a very bad season, it would be tough to not give him one more year. Not saying that's right or wrong, cause I don't know, but this team has the mold to win now, or at least the mold of a team that planned to win in the next year or so.

Drafting a QB would set us back again and I really don't think a lot of our key parts have many years left. I'm not banking on Portis being Portis 3 years from now. Hopefully I'm wrong but we'll see. Can Betts take over then? I'm not sure how old Betts is to be honest, so I dunno.

I will say that Tebow and Stafford could both come out next year and those are two pretty darn good QB's if available. Tebow could be dropping late in the 1st round, and as much I dislike the Gators, he's the one guy on the team that is classy and (obviously) very talented.

And I don't even need to start on Staff, he's just the best ever period.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:18 AM

Yes and Yes, in Cover-1.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:35 AM

No chance. He's got about 2 years left on his contract and he'll have at least that long to prove himself. And who's available out there better?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

by your logic, FF1, couldn't you just put Mason on the practice squad or hide him on IR?

And when did Rock become a non-solid 2nd or 3rd string RB?

Also, don't underestimate the 7-10 yds extra you get on returns from that guy. It's integral.

Posted by: Dik | August 25, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Just pulled these off the website:

Chris Horton 6' 0" ------ 212lbs.
Laron Landry 6' 2" ------ 213lbs.
Kareem Moore 6' 2" ------ 203lbs.

Carlos Rogers 5 11" ------ 199lbs.
Fred Smoot 5 11" ------ 192lbs.
Shawn Springs 6' 0" ------ 204lbs.

We need all 3 of our corners playing their natural positions this year. Keep Landry at FS and since Chris Horton is about 10lbs. bigger than Kareem Moore, keep Horton at SS.

Would you rather have Chris Horton starting at SS this year or Reed Doughty ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Football fan, you make a fair case but need to break up your points with the return key.

I would counter that I would rather look to move Betts over Rock. I think he has higher value and I may be wrong but he is 29 years old according to Madden 09, which kinda concerns me for a no 2 back.

BTW what I just wrote goes against what I have said previously.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Is one TD really respectable... I mean come on how many games are you going to win with one TD pass?? I know I may take a lot of heat for this but I am still not sold on SOUP

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Would you rather have Chris Horton starting at SS this year or Reed Doughty ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 11:42 AM

I'd rather have LL starting at SS, and Kareem Moore starting at FS.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

LUrking today.

If you guys slow down, maybe I can post something.........

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:43 AM

It's kind of tough to produce as a QB when your starting left tackle sacks you from the blindside.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I have no doubt Reed is a great guy but he is not a starter... and anyone who doesnt think Jansen is in a downward spiral is crazy

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Blazer,
1 TD means (to me) 1 TD+ a ton of FG's + running in the red zone for TD's. I expect Campbell to actually be closer to 20-24 TD's for the season, but thats less than 2 TD's a game.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Eli went a couple of games last year without a TD

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

PSPS23;

Are you serious? If we are playing cover 1, like we did last year, we need a rangy FS roaming around back there. It is more important to cover our corners than add LL closer to the box on run support. Really LFB made it possible for us to not need the 8th defender in the box because of the range he has.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Betts
Date of birth: August 27, 1979 (age 28)

Really if he is not a starter how much longer does he stay in the NFL? 2-3 years?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, yeah, that was in poor taste, certainly not the worst thing that's ever been written up here, sorry about that... but the truth is I haven't been very impressed with Reed and have misgivings about him starting back there, and while I'm sorry I posted that jokingly, because I WANT him to succeed, I think there has to be concern about his hearing impairment affecting his play on the field, right?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Also, LL played the FS better than he did SS, so why make him swithc back?

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Have people just forgotten about Betts or are they just content with him? I hear all this talk about Mason, dude has done NOTHING in a real game. Get over it.

It's the same reason I'm not worried about what I saw Saturday, it's preseason. Didn't we have a long discussion on the August preseason heroes a week or so ago? It's irrelevant.

Rock Vs. Mason I dunno, I like both.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Nate;

Unless your hearing has something to do with you reading the run, avoiding the block but being on the wrong foot to make a tackle, I dont think there is any correlation.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

As someone who is deaf in 1 ear it does effect your ability to know what may be going on on the deaf side, someone can run by my right side and I never know.

Now with all that crowed noise, who knows what the effect is.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Alex point taken but as i remember it we had a hell of a time running the ball inside the red zone last year and the O line got blown up Sat night...

Also am I crazy here or cant we solve the RB situation by simply keeping 1 FB??

Sellers has barely smelled the field this pre season and it does not seem to be part of Zorns scheme...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

ehh I'm still kinda giving Doughty a bye, I mean, we've been spoiled as hell with #21 out there.

And it's not anybody's fault at all the situation we're in with having a backup starting. You can say we should've drafted a better repleacement and maybe that's true, but Reid played solid last year in the REAL GAMES in a PLAYOFF RUN when it mattered. Give the guy a chance in the real season when things really matter.

Let me state this - At this level of play in any sport, there are players that perform better during real games over practice/preseason/whatever. That's fact. And there's also vice versa.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

What has Betts done recently he makes alot of money and does not play very much. He could not get in on the goal line last year. He fumbled a few times last year at vrucial moments, just like in the preseason game Saturday night. He is 29 that is old in running back years.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 25, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

PSPS23;

Having Moore and Landry tandem is another option too, instead of Landry and Horton. But Zebra makes a really good point in contrast.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

We will probably only keep one FB, but why does how much Zorn plan on using him have to do with how many we keep? I think Sellers will have a big year. Zonr has already said we need to get the ball in his hands.

Just more vanilla offense with out all the wrinkles./

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Football Fan 1,

Calm down. Just way too much "get rid of Rock" talk here, and you just opened the door again. I'm not getting into this again, but I don't know what more you expect of Rock--he's a 7th rounder who has become one of the best KO returners in the league (based off his average) and a dependable 2nd or 3rd running option. I guess that 73-yard run in NY last week just proves he can't run...

Anyways, you're focusing on the wrong battle. Running backs are a dime a dozen. You can replace these guys basically at any time. Why cut a proven guy for an undrafted rookie that you haven't even seen play against starters yet? I just wish folks here would beat down the Mason boners and think straight when it comes to this guy. The minute he fumbles in a game that counts, you'll want him cut and replaced with some other undrafted rookie who looks good at the end of a preseason game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Also, depending on what caused his hearing loss it can effect ones balance. I blew out my cochlea (think thats how its spelled) so I can't get dizzy, back in the day (like WW1) they would search for people like me to fly fighter plains.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Would you rather have Chris Horton starting at SS this year or Reed Doughty ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 11:42 AM

I'd rather have LL starting at SS, and Kareem Moore starting at FS.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:45 AM

I agree he has looked alot better than the Reed in the preseason. both on coverage and tackling

Posted by: SAK | August 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

kmd4, portis is older in running back years than betts is based on being hit and tackled about 2000 more times than betts.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

How about this, lets say that the season starts, and Jansen is still struggling, how many games do you allow, before going to either Heyer, or Reinhardt??

Posted by: Greg | August 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well, well, well. Looks like the Redskin's showed their true maroon and black on Saturday, huh?

Sure we lost Osi, but man, you guys looked like the cellar dwellers everyone has predicted you to be...

BIG BLUE!!

Posted by: New York baller | August 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I'M BIG BLUE, DANGUMBIT!!

Posted by: IBM | August 25, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know the status of Todd Wade? Is there any chance he could play this week and potentially take Jansen's job? Alternatively what about Heyer, could he replace Jansen? Finally, I think we should desperately try to trade Ladell Betts for an offensive lineman. Both Jansen and Kedall are done. Randy Thomas is injury prone and old.

Posted by: jimk | August 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

It seems like a hearing problem could adversely affect a defensive player's ability to communicate with his teammates on the field before, during and after plays. In a very noisy stadium. Critical adjustments, play calls, etc. I guess I'm alone in thinking that could be a matter of concern. And yes, I'm sorry for the tasteless joke about it, but the reason that came up is I'm concerned about his play and believe that at least to some extent his hearing has something to do with it... I'll shut up about this now...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 11:49 AM

Playing a cover-1, that "1" has to have his best attribute be range. Moore has that range. He's a ballhawking safety who makes plays (highlighted by his INT and FF in the first half). He took a poor angle on one of the big runs, but don't try and act like you never saw ST take a poor angle. It's a learning curve.

Meanwhile, Landry has all the skills needed for an in-the-box safety, which is where he was drafted to play I might add. He's a sure tackler and a great blitzer. And it's more important to cover the line-of-scrimmage than to protect from 30 yard deep bombs (which in case you didn't realize, the big plays came from getting blown up at the LOS, NOT from mis-coverages over the top). There's a reason Bob Sanders was DPOY last year as an in-the-box safety. This spot, first and foremost, needs to be addressed. And Landry provides the best option - by far.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

What? Nate, did you say something?

Posted by: Reed Doughty | August 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I hear what you're saying, Nate in the PDX.

Posted by: Reed Doughty | August 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I alwasys find it comical that people give themselves a cool slang nickname like baller, then come onto the interwebs to gloat about a game their team wasnt even involved in... during the PRESEASON.

Doesnt matter Blue Baller, we will see Sept 4th... nothing else matters.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

kmdp4 I was thinking the same thing after the fumble Saturday. Why in the hell did we resign this guy. Always fumble at the worst time.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

So what does Blue Baller do when the gints wear those stupid read unies? Does he change to redballer?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

You definitely need the more skilled player playing FS instead of SS. Moving Landry to SS is no bueno. Keep him at FS. I only say put Horton over Moore at SS because Horton is 10lbs. heavier. And he was strong enough to bring down that Bear of a QB in 285lb Jared Lorenzen in the Colts game.
Although some might argue with me in stating that C. Horton is better suited for SS than Kareem Moore is. Or that Moore is the better overall Safety between the 2 rookies. Any thoughts ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry PSPS;

Weak argument, Landry had two Ball Hawing INt's in the playoffs, and was holding down the back. He is the last line of defense, while the SS has LB's and to some extent corners making his life easier.

No way you leave our last line of defense in the hands of a rook who has played but 4 preseason games.

No argument can convince me of that.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

You definitely need the more skilled player playing FS instead of SS.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 12:03 PM

Bob Sanders might disagree with you.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 12:02 PM

Probably sticks with his surname...@sshat.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

RE: Landry @ SS

You need him at FS. You're basically wasting all that speed if you play him SS near the line of scrimmage.

And Bob Sanders is a FS if I'm not mistaken. I think Dungy just plays him up closer on obvious run situations. Besides, dude plays so fast he probably IS back deep and still gets down to make the tackle at the line!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 12:04 PM

Not saying Landry can't play there. He could probably play any of the secondary positions. I'm saying that in order to put the best set of overall skills on the field, Landry needs to be moved to SS, and Moore should start at FS. It doesn't matter how many INTs and broken deep plays Landry makes if teams are averaging 5-6 yards a carry vs us.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Big picture that people are missing is that our OL is old, slow, and in decline. Even Samuels who was a Pro Bowler last year was shoved back into the QB by Julius Peppers. Jansen looks pathetic and there is no one behind him that appears ready to step in as a starter. Kendall is 35 and not getting any younger....Skins drafting of three pass catchers looks even worse now that other teams can see that our OL can't protect the QB. Tough to run a West Coast offense with no pass protection and people are still blaming Campbell. Todd Collins would have been knocked out after the 1st two hits.

I hold Vinny and Danny responsible for not drafting a couple young OL and/or DL with those 3 second round draft picks. Now we've given up next year's 2nd round pick for Taylor who will play 2 years at most and the pick will turn out to be in the 1st ten picks of the 2nd round. A desparate move by a team who didn't draft to have any depth at the position. We can only hope the Demetric Evans can step in as a starter until Taylor is fully healthy and don't buy that he'll be that way in 2 weeks. Any knee injury takes more than 2 weeks to be fully healed even for an elite athlete.

I smell 6-10 and battling the Giants for third place in the division. Way to go Danny and Vinny!!!

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 25, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

ah screw it, doughty, torrence, jansen, betts, campbell, randle-el, zorn.....the list goes on and on. they all either suck now or will suck shortly. 4-12 at best. another lost season. but we will have a high draft pick, thats a positive.

Posted by: T | August 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Other thing I wanted to ask was what the hell is going on with Malcom Kelly is any else concerned??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

..........

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 11:51 AM

Dude. Your's and Greg's arguments are ridicoulous. You can say that about anyone who hasn't played yet.

How can you do SOMETHING if you aren't on the active roster???!??

And Betts is who we thought he was. I said this on Friday that he is gaurenteed to fumble and that is exactly what he did the next day.

I'd rather go with the unknown known in Mason then the Known Known in Betts.

Trade Betts '08.

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

NY Baller, what do you think are the odds of Strahan coming back this season? If you think he's coming back, how long do you think it will take for him to get into game shape? Would you welcome him back? Would you have welcomed him back before Osi's injury? Just curious...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

We could see Moore at FS and Landry at SS in the regular season. Moore has played pretty well... Doughty has been burned in pass protections, although he has been a good tackler -- except for that 60 yd TD last Sat! The secondary performance should be vastly improved with Landry playing cover-1 and the front-seven playing up to their potential. Horton look good early and probably has made the final roster now that Fox was released.

As for the CBs -- Smoot is an excellent tackler (did you see him blow up the RB behind the line of scrimmage) Springs is the Skins best CB -- leave him there unless we continue to have FS problems... And Rodgers has looked very good, since coming back from the knee injury. Torrence is the fourth CB; with Westbrook and Tryon on the bubble (completing with Boschetti for a defensive roster spot).

Posted by: Siris | August 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

brownwood -

Bob Sanders is most definitely a SS. Antoine Bethea is their FS. I'd be fine with leaving Landry where he is if someone could consistently play the SS spot. But right now, it doesn't seem that way. You need to secure the area closer to the line of scrimmage before you secure the deep ball. That's where games are won. Just like Bob Sanders single-handedly transforms that Colts defense with his in-the-box play, Landry can do the same.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather go with the unknown known in Mason then the Known Known in Betts.

Trade Betts '08.

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 12:11 PM

And when Mason fumbles you'll complain that the team let go of a guy who ran for over 1100 yards in 9 games. God I hope Mason gets cut...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Wherever Sanders plays, what is best for them is not proof of what would be best for us.

LL hasnt practiced at all, he played great as FS last year, no way we move him now.

So, agree to disagree and all that Jazz.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

On a positive note I think Erasmus James might end up being our smartest move during the offseason.. Its still early but I think he could end up contributing quite a bit this year

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY WHERE'S CHRIS COOLEY

Posted by: 4th in place of SIGN CHRIS COOLEY guy | August 25, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

PSPS23;

Bob Sanders might disagree with me but T.O. WOULD agree with me. He torched us for how many ? like 3 TD's last year IN Dallas and that cost us the game. Why ? Because Landry was playing SS. Teams never got 5-6 a carry on us before with out Landry so why would they now. And as brownwood26 alluded to, you would be wasting all of LL's speed by not having him roaming the outfield.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

THE TRUTH

Where are you???????????

Posted by: johnbear1 | August 25, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

HAs anyone at all brought that up?

Where in the world is....Chris Cooley?

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

OK, psps23. Sanders is a SS.

I still don't buy the argument that you put your best safety at the line. It seems to me if you've got a big body guy who doesn't cover as well (Doughty), put him at the line. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can't tackle. Just that he can't cover. Right now you're talking about putting a rookie as the top cover safety, and I think you're doing a HUGE disservice to your defense without Landry playing deep.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

4th;

I think all the players you dont see getting reps they already know about. With Thomas a JC needing work, they figured throw to the wide outs.

Not worried about Cooley until Sept 4th

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

beep beep!

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up on the weekend (isn't that what work is for?). Seems like it didn't go so well. Two words. ITS PRESEASON.

Jim Zorn gets his 'welcome to a head coach job' moment. Its how he and the team respond. But don't respond by putting the starters out for a long time on the meaningless final preseason game.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game Sat night. Even uglier in person. Not panicing, just concerned.

Skins starting D was missing 2 starters("53 and #30) and then #55. Just an observation. Like #41's potential. Took some bad angles (I think he's mis-judging NFL game speed)

Panther D had no respect for Skins O. Dared O and Skins skill players to beat them one-on-one. I think # 26 has lost a 1.5 steps. #26 & #46 will break off an occassional 10-20 yard run, but they are not threats to take it to the house.

Posted by: skinsfanNnc | August 25, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but was our base defense (as the game went on) a nickel defense? I know we were considering that prior to the game due to our shortage of healthy linebackers. Certainly if it was our base defense, it would explain why the panthers were able to run so well.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 12:18 PM

Check the box that game. Landry was FS there, Doughty was the SS.

How do you figure his speed is wasted at SS? Where does it say that speed is less useful at SS? It allows him to match up 1-on-1 with any TE or slot WR, plus it allows him to go sideline to sideline in a shorter period of time (which is needed, considering it takes much less time for RB to hit the 2nd level rather than the 3rd).

Sorry, I'm not buying that argument. I just think that:
(1) Landry can play the SS just as well as the FS,
(2) Moore is a better FS than either Horton or Doughty is at SS (and actually, he's pretty good in general IMO - regardless of his rookie 6th round stature), and
(3) Although the FS is more dynamic, the SS is more crucial to success (which is why #21 needed LL in the first place).

Doughty played real well at that spot last year, but so far he looks to be nowhere NEAR where he was last year. Maybe I'm pulling the trigger too quick, but he looked worse than awful this weekend - in every aspect of the game.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Nate -
The media up here is salivating like wild just thinking about Strahan coming back. Don't think it will happen though. The man is out of shape, and hasn't been preparing for the season, as opposed to last season when he held out, at least he was working out consistently. That said someone in the league as long as him he KNOWS the game, so he could still hold his own. We'll need him, but like I said doubt it'll happen.

BIG BLUE!!

Posted by: New York baller | August 25, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Will fans actually have to PAY to see the game? If no starters play, should they get half their money back?

Just askin'

Posted by: Donald Trump | August 25, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins unfortunately have an old, frail team. This team BARELY made the playoffs last year and then was DOMINATED by the Seahawks. They made the playoffs only because Campbell got hurt, and because the Cowboys and Giants were not playing a lot of their starters. The Redskins need to realize that young lineman and linebackers need to be drafted every single year. These players often only last a 3-4 years due to the brutality of NFL football. Although there are exceptions, most NFL careers are over by the age of 30. I follow the Steelers. Over the past 4 decades they have been a good solid team almost every year. The reason is they constantly draft young linemen and linebackers and mercilessly cut veterans. The veterans on the Redskins seem extremely soft and spoiled in general.

Posted by: jk123 | August 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood26, I have read your comments regarding Marcus and you are allowed to have that thought but you are the SAME FAN every year who always play the blame game when the game is right or wrong. If your plan play itself out and we lose Marcus to another team and he plays well, which he will, you will cry how The Danny and Zorn got rid of him and how bad of coach he is and blah, blah, blah... Take a long look at what you are requesting and not tie your emotion into it. Then base your thoughts on logic... As of right now Marcus is a better runner than Cartwright period. Yes I can see that all this pub that Marcus is gettin is making you go the opposite of him because you love to hate then appreciate but the kid can play. Yes he have not played a game to date in the regular season but when he does he will be ready and you will eatin your words and then you will be on bending knees to this kid like you are with Rock and Betts. Time to change........The kid has a track record of success in High school and college and shown thus far that he can do it in the NFL. Just get on the bus now and when the success for this kid show in the regular season you can say you were already on the bus. the Truth will be on the curb with your ass talking about the same siht that you are talking about now which is nothing.............

Posted by: Football Fan #1 | August 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

With a trip to the playoffs in the rear view mirror the Reskins faithful should be dubious that nearly every NFL analyst has picked them to finish last in the NFC East. ESPN has a blog going abou the best tandem of WR's in the East, and the Skins barely get a mention. I make three points here...

One, for those who think the Skins have injury woes remember nearly everyone who will make the roster was sat as a mostly "precautionary" measure for the meaningless pre-season. Taylor's knee injury may have cost him a start in the regular season but that's unlikely. Once game checks are on the line these guys will dose up on Cortizone and go freaky.

Second, depth. One blogger here called the Redskins vets 'old and frail.' Whoops. Bookend tackles, solid guards, a cement center, and several versitile and competent backups means despite the soft showing in Carolina that JC will be on his feet and firing strikes to 6 talented recievers and 2 tight ends no one wants to try and cover. Portis and Betts rival any RB tandem in the league and if you want a rumble just get Sellers going and watch the bowling pins fly. That's 11 targets and 11 guys who will score touchdowns this season. Just ask Philly right now if they wish they still had Thrash! Bet they pick up whoever misses the 6 spot and doesn't get signed to the practice squad... In an NFL where speed dictates dinged recievers can't play how far do the Cowboy's go when TO sprains a toe? NY without Plaxico? I don't think McNabb is going to be tucking the ball and hitting many creases this year after injuries have decimated Philly's NFC East dominance from a few short years ago. While I still don't think Collins is much to look at Colt is the real deal. He is a guy who could come into a game and put points on the board. Raw? Sure- just what you want sneaking around behind JC.

Taylor will be fine and record two sacks against the Giants. Landry will be fine and grab an int early and then terrorize the secondary.

Third- Schedule. I believe 10-6 takes the NFC East this year, and all four teams could hit that mark. The Redskins get thier East opponents on the road and early this year, and at home late when the games really begin to count. They get 10 days after the Giants game, so win or loose they come in fresh and motivated for a home openener against NO- a game I think they dominate. The Cardinals come into town next and leave unhappy. By the time the Redskins have to get on a plane it will be nearly a month into the season and go into Dallas 2-1 or 3-0. If TO is healthy Washington likely looses that game but then fires off three straight before thay have serious travel again on Halloween for a hapless Detroit team.

Dallas gets St. Louis, Arizona, and Pittsburg away- we get them at home. They get Tampa, we get New Orleans. They get Green Bay, we get Detroit. I like the way this sets up. That's three games for each of us where we play tougher teams at home while they pack for hotels and go into hostile enviorments and two othe NFC games where we drew the weaker teams.

The Eagles will likely have to beat all three NFC East opponents in thier last four games to make the playoffs. And we get them for game 15 at home with Philly coming off only two home games in thier previous six.

The Giants finish with six straight NFC matchups including away games with us and Dallas. Thier last five games will be against teams with winning records vying for playoff spots. Our last four games (Eagles included)should be played against teams with loosing records.

November will tell the tale for the Redskins, playing four playoff projected teams- but we get three of them at home. If we can even the series with the Cowboys and Giants I can see 10-6 or even 11-5 with 4-2 in the NFC East and a 8-4 or even 9-3 NFC record, meaning playoffs again (god help us not another away game at Seattle or Tampa.) In short, the schedule sets up very well for the Skins if they come out playing and can dig in and take care of business in November.

For now I am quite content with everyone putting spotlights on Dallas and NY. By the end of November things could be very different. If the skins get into December at .500 or better then watch out, it will be Washington on "game of the week" for the hollidays as 4 straight wins to close out the regular season win them a playoff berth- again.

Posted by: fireballhank | August 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse