Timeout for Cooley ... Nancy Cooley

By now, you know Chris Cooley's mom and among the things you know about her is that she's a pretty good interview. It turns out she's pretty eloquent when it comes to her own story as well. On Saturday, Mike Wise detailed her battle with breast cancer, a double mastectomy, chemotherapy, reconstructive surgery and, now, recovery.

She has grown numb to pain the past year, having lived with two-inch scars in her chest between May 2008 to October, lost her hair and eyebrows to chemotherapy and both her breasts and 20 lymph nodes to the disease. Twenty-eight radiation treatments later, she still recalls the tubes of her own secretions and fluids building up in the surgically inserted drains, which her niece, Brooke Brandt, emptied.
"I just had to keep remembering, 'Hurt make you better, hurt make you better,' " Nancy said.

...

Other reading material from the weekend (a significant one in which this here blog noted the return of noonefromtampa -- Loseable Type does indeed work in mysterious ways):

• Twitterpal Sam Farmer of the LA Times writes about the remoteness of the possibility of the Rams' return to LA ... and on Eli Manning's take on his new receiver Hakeem Hicks.
  • I know that when I say the words "Jimmy Johnson" up here, blood pressures rise and Jack's kids learn a new word or two, but Dan LeBatard has a piece on the former coach and recovering burnout. Not a lot of unplowed earth there, but interesting nonetheless. And, because he mentioned Joe Gibbs, I thought of how very different Jim Zorn is. Maybe it's the bikes or the hikes (as Les Carpenter wrote about last July)... or maybe that prototypical coach model just doesn't work anymore outside of New England.
  • Rocky McIntosh -- rockym52 -- needs 329 more followers on twitter to reach his goal of 1,000 by training camp.
  • Evidently, DeAngelo Hall enjoys the ponies. He tweeted Saturday: what a race!...I can live with that...Congrats to Summer Bird! Calvin Borel is still the truth!
...

Another week of organized team activities begins Monday (the last one before training camp opens is Thursday).

By Cindy Boren  |  June 7, 2009; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Largent Offers Pointers to Wide Receivers
Next: Landry Still Absent (Updated)

Comments

Those cooley boys were having some fun on WJFK on friday. Letting Tanner Cooley and Colt have free reign on the sound board revealed a lot about their sense of humor.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 7, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | June 7, 2009; 7:00 AM ET

Some people aspire to eradicate malaria, cure AIDS. Rocky M? A thousand followers! Now this is a guy with a lofty ambition. Must have gone to the U. How many more followers does Laron Landry need?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 7, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Twitterpal Sam Farmer of the LA Times writes about... Eli Manning's take on his new receiver Hakeem Hicks."

The Jints' receivers are going to be interesting this season. Everybody knows they lost Burress, but they also lost Derrick Ward, whose 41 catches ranked second to Steve Smith (this from a team that finished 18th in receiving). So it's definitely what the bloggers like to call 'an area of need'.

In addition to rookies Nicks and the ginormous Ramses Barden, NY is going into the season with:

Kevin Boss, TE: 33 rec. 384 yards, 6 TD
Domenic Hixon: 43 rec, 596 yards, 2 TD
Steve Smith: 57 rec, 574 yds, 1 TD
Sinorice Moss: 12 rec, 153 yds, 2 TD
Mario Manningham: 4 rec. 26 yds, 0 TD

Eli insists they won't miss Burress. Sounds like Carson Palmer insisting the Bengals don't need Chad or TJ.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Weak post...just weak. "Polishing the apple?" Why rehash an article that has been up going on two days now?

I understand that news is slow during the OTAs...here's hoping there is no more need for the cut-and-paste post-for-the-sake-of-posting post.

Huh?

Posted by: hithere1 | June 7, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like Carson Palmer insisting the Bengals don't need Chad or TJ.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2009 9:34 AM

Which is different than Romo sounds when he says they don't need TO.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 7, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Huh?

Posted by: hithere1 | June 7, 2009 9:38 AM

Hey, Hit Here,

Cindy's post was at least a lot stronger than that whiney crap you just put up.

I, for one, didn't have any idea that Rocky's goal was 1000 followers by training camp. By comparison, how long do you think it took the Prophet Mohammed or Jesus of Nazareth to get a thousand followers? Think what they could have done with Twitter!!

Lighten up, Hit. New posts are good -- and certainly better than nothing. They make it easier to refresh.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 7, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Hey mack, if you no like the RI bloggy then why you read?

Here's an idea: DON"T read this RI blog that you now hate so much. This will leave you more time to go over to NFL network and suck on JLC's jock to your heart's content. And if you are lucky maybe he bukkake you with his amazing insights, like how the 'Skins o-line is weak this year.

Enjoy!

Posted by: hithere1 | June 6, 2009 1:43 AM

Thanks for the advice. But here's the thing, because I want the unvarnished truth about my team, I'm more of a fan and much better a fan than you are. You see, if someone writes something negative about my team, I can take it. You on the other hand demand only the good news. You use info to make you feel better. You take any criticism whatsoever as a if someone kicked you in the vagina. You're soft and you're simple. It's easy to be a fan like you.

Posted by: mack1 | June 6, 2009 2:38 PM"

Hey Mack,

1) Eat me.

2) If you think that JLC gives the "unvarnished truth" (took a long time to type that phrase, I started laughing so hard!), then...well Jesus, I just don't know what to tell you. No wait, I do: why don't you read through T_E's great comments on the Steve Largent post about just how "great" JLC has been with providing insider info and...wait for it..."unvarnished truth" (!!) over the years here at RI.

3) Eat me.

Posted by: hithere1 | June 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mack,

PS: If you change "unvarnished truth" to "unfounded hearsay," then I accept your characterization of JLC's insideryness.

Oh yes, and please eat me.

Posted by: hithere1 | June 7, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

T_E:

Ok, I will lighten up. I hear your reason.

Sorry Cindy.

Posted by: hithere1 | June 7, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

hithere--I don't think you're going to have any luck getting Mack to eat you. I predict that Rocky M will have 100,000 followers before Mack provides the service you're looking for. Probably best to look elsewhere.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 7, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow props from the Cindy-meister
one in tampa and it's over my house
Rays beat the Yanks in the ninth again
and I can post

what a surreal weekend

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

oops that should read one rain shower in Tampa

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

maybe I'll play the Lotto this week

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

You are such a glass half empty hater.

Actually--good post, tho anyone who reads you much might suspect your favorite poem is:

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm a schizophrenic
And so am I."

Posted by: TheCork | June 7, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

1) Eat me.

3) Eat me.

Posted by: hithere1

The wit and cleverness, the humanity and literacy of your posts inspire me to ask one question of you:

Are you "hi there1" or "hit here1"?

There is more complexity and depth in the duopoly of conflict and meaning in your handle than in all your posts to date.

Trying to figure out which former name you posted under. My guess? "IhateJLC"

One other quick point and then I'll let you go...Jesus doesn't read this blog.

Posted by: TheCork | June 7, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

One other quick point and then I'll let you go...Jesus doesn't read this blog.

Posted by: TheCork

Shoot, not enough caffeine yet. I forgot the topper:

One other quick point and then I'll let you go...Jesus doesn't read this blog...tho a lot of posters think they're Him.

Posted by: TheCork | June 7, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes, Cooley's mom..

The Skins are going to have "Dunder Mifflin" emblazoned on their unis!! Jeeziz, what's a "Dunder Mifflin"?? They'll be known as the "Dunderheads"...Surely we can have "Fly Emirates" like on Arsenal's uniform, with an image of the Trade towers exploding..

Posted by: frak | June 7, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cork,

Since you are up here posting, I was wondering if you are interested in taking up my simple challenge to you:

Name one single story of relevance/piece of news that Jason LaCanfora ever broke about the Redskins before anyone else out there.

Can you do it?

Posted by: p1funk | June 7, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

What do you call it when youre zappin' the ditzy middle aged woman across the street?

You're "Dunder Milfin'" !!

Posted by: frak | June 7, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

O, my bad, that's a parody list. I really should report the Budwieser Corporation to the FDA..

Posted by: frak | June 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm a schizophrenic
And so am I."

Posted by: TheCork | June 7, 2009 12:53 PM |

I like to be flexible, like an amphoteric -- a chemical that is capable of reacting as either an acid or a base. You, on the other hand, seem to react only as an acid. "Get out your Tums -- here comes Cork."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 7, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Some people are still clinging to the flabby bag of pus, eh?

He was a sub-par writer. But now he'll shine alongside such journalistic luminaries as "Vic Carruci" and "Pat Kirwan" over at the NFL network, which is only available to about 30% of the country.

So long, sucker.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | June 7, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Why am I posting because I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 7, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

talent: "I like to be flexible, like an amphoteric -- a chemical that is capable of reacting as either an acid or a base. You, on the other hand, seem to react only as an acid."

Are you saying he's baseless?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 7, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Nancy Cooley...both of my grandmothers have had breast cancer and I know that cancer doesn't play favorites and definitely doesn't play fair. Hope she enjoys as close to full recovery as possible.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 8, 2009 5:16 AM | Report abuse

Wish all the best to Nancy Cooley

Posted by: jm220 | June 8, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I lost both grandmothers to cancer, and I can only say that I hope CC's mom gets the very best treatment available.

On another note, since it's getting to be that time of the year when it is hard to find Redskin news:

-How are the DE's that are on the bubble challenging? Guys like Jackson and Buzzbee are going to have to fight to stay on this roster, so how are they doing?

-What happened to Dockery's brother? I thought he would at least be an undrafted free agent by the Skins in just a nod to Dock.

-We saw Edwin Williams' mug up there for a few weeks but what about the other offensive lineman from Maryland? How's he doing?

-Zorn's offense became predictable and stale during the 2nd half of last season. What are he and his coaching staff going to do to ensure that the bottom doesn't fall out in the second half this year?

-Landry hasn't called or sent flowers. How does his projected backup, Kareem Moore, feel about getting the extra reps and the potential of maybe starting a few games?

-If nothing else, how about a little "where are they now" regular piece where the team tracks down former players and finds out what they are doing - especially those that are into some truly unique things. I hear Michael Westbrook is into some form of free fighting league so that would be a good place to start. You could do a counterpoint piece on Stephen Davis, the guy he belted in training camp? What about Lavar Arrington? Brandon Noble - the guy who had an infection basically end his football career?

-How about a comparison of the Haynesworth signing to the signing of other "rain maker" defensive tackles in the past? Everyone remembers Griffin, but how about Darryl Gardner? They didn't sign him as a free agent, but they did draft Bobby Wilson, and he was pretty much a dud, wasn't he? Brandon Noble?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 8, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Jasno gathers a shout-out this morning from Peter King's MMQB:

4. I think I'd like to take this space to wish Jason LaCanfora, ex of the Washington Post, good luck in his new gig as information man for NFL Network. The network got a good man. LaCanfora's a worker bee with a good presence. Now, competing against who he'll have to compete with as a first-year TV guy ... that's going to be rough, and rough might be an understatement.

In Sunday pre-game land, Jason's going head-to-head with Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter, who I assume will be on the Sunday morning show (and the rest of the Clayton/Werder/Paolantonio/Nichols team), and then there's scoopman Jay Glazer at FOX, who drops a bomb every week. And I haven't even mentioned Charlie Casserly and his enlightened spot on CBS. I know LaCanfora's work ethic, and whatever they're paying him, he'll earn. But he's got some powerhouses in his way.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

two good, new songs :

Jay-Z - DOA (Death of Autotune)
Lil Wayne - Kobe Bryant

Jay-Z murked it as usual, Wayne went off like he has the talent to do. Not any of that garbage he's been putting out recently.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Jasno gathers a shout-out this morning from Peter King's MMQB:

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Hell,he's had a hard time keeping up with the D.C Examiner beat reporter,how in the hell would they expect him to compete with that lineup of real insiders?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

All the best to Mrs. Cooley, here's to a full and speedy recovery for her.

The Giants will miss Buress, as well as Toomer, who they did not bring back. So looking at the whole picture, Buress, Ward, Toomer, thats a big chuck carved out of their pass catchers.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 8, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 8:30 AM

LMAO! Post of the day so far!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 8, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

^^ post of the day @ 8:36 AM?

wow, do you have problems with uhh...being a bit premature?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Jasno's work ethic must have been evident somewhere to get noticed but I don't really believe he ever broke a sweat reaching for the spellcheck button. Maybe it was his tireless efforts to beat the other schlubs to the bags of burgers in the media room.

Posted by: will_ga | June 8, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Ain't no spell check needed in TV land. No 1 reason I got into doing video work as a kid.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Eli Manning's take on his new receiver Hakeem Hicks."

H Nicks is a very, very good wide receiver.

And I don't think the jints will miss Plax, Ward, and Toomer to the degree others do.

The jints lost Shockey in the same year they won a ring: remember, for good teams, subtraction is actually addition.

Ahmad Bradshaw is to the same guy as Derrick Ward.

Kevin Boss is a nice tight end.

The jints have the best offensive line in the division.

And no matter what folks think about him, Eli is the only quarterback in the NFC East with a ring on his finger. He'll spread the ball around rather than depend on a 'go-to' guy.

The biggest story in the NFC East will come from two places: can Dallas' offense score without T.O., and will the receivers in the Redskins' '08 draft class mature.

The Washington v. Dallas fight this year?: which team will finish the season in last place in the NFC East.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

moe, when are the yanks up in Boston?? Is it tonight, or tomorrow night?? Unfortunately for you guys, I think you're gonna miss Dice-K pitching. Unfortunate too for the windshield companies, as he's nothing more than batting practice at this point...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 8, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Ward had over 1000 yards rushing, and Buress, Toomer, and Ward, had, 35, 48, and 41 catches. Thats a lot to lose from one side of the ball in one off season.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 8, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

There may be no spellcheck in tv land but there is HD and I hope he lays off the burgers and donuts or Total Access could be tough to watch!

Posted by: will_ga | June 8, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Boss is a crap TE Moe.
Pulled the TE's from the NFC E and Shockey to add hus #s to compare.

Rk Player Team Rec Yds TD
2 Chris Cooley WAS 83 849 1
3 Jason Witten DAL 81 952 4
11 Jeremy Shockey NO 50 483 0
21 L.J. Smith PHI 37 298 3
25 Kevin Boss NYG 33 384 6

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383

I actually feel like I get the best info on the Skins from the DC Examiner.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 8, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"...Jasno's work ethic must have been evident somewhere to get noticed.."

Jason La Canfora is gone.

Vamooosh! Swish! Gone like the last cold beer in the frig.

We said our words, he sent in his, and so our relationship with him is over.

He went on to bigger and better things, and isn't coming back.

He will be on tv this fall looking massively out of place.

Get your laugh on then.

But for now, please stop posting about the guy!!!!

Some of y'all sound like the broken-hearted boyfriend who says, "I'm glad that b!tch is gone, but I still miss her though."

I guess some of us need a way to get straight.

So shut down your computer.

Step away from the keyboard.

Take a deep breath.

Fart--if you have to.

(INSERT image of bilious green fog rising behind Moe)

Now, doncha feel better?

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Bean

The Yanks will be in Boston Tues, Weds, Thurs. of this week.

First place is on the line--if that matters in early June.

Right now, we're dealing with those pesky Rays.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | June 8, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

He's gotten all the credit for the guys that come to this blog to interact with eachother,and guys like me who comes thru to watch the arguments(and honestly i've gotten more info on the redskins,and the NFL in general from you guys than the so called insider)....remember he's judged on how many hits this page gets.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I actually feel like I get the best info on the Skins from the DC Examiner.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 8, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

And what does that tell you,that such a small paper can cover the Skins better than the second biggest paper in the nation,which happens to be in washington?could it be the beat reporter?we shall soon find out.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

theTruth

"two good, new songs :

Jay-Z - DOA (Death of Autotune)
Lil Wayne - Kobe Bryant"

No disrepect, but Emimen's "Insane" has got to be the best rap songs I've heard in about two years.

Mr. Mathers goes on an incredibly tight lyrical spit about a little boy who is molested by his step father because his mother encourages him to.

Yes: the song is that far out there, but given Em's hyperkinetic style and staccato-attack flow, the song is up there with "Stan" as one of his best tracks about aberrant social behavior.

Jay-Z should remain 'retired' and Wayne is just what his title says he is: Little. I can't listen to the guy. His voice makes me want to burn every Ebonics dictionary I have in my home.

And I have several.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

aaa phoey.

Jasno was alright. He had some truly insider stuff & a lot of re-has too. It stands to reason that some folks have better info or more often, so be it.

CynCyty is the bizomb & knows the vernacular. The regz keep everyone up to date & the jibba jabba is second to NONE!

Lisa, if you say the Examiner has better straight dope, that's good enough for mee. I'll see you over there too.

I'm glad SOMEONE is reading that. I can't take much more of the Express. Good sudoku, tho.

HAIL!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 8, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Reprise on the Jints' receivers:

Dunno if I'd characterize Boss as 'crap', but he's not somebody who's had to carry the load. Neither for that matter are any of the other receivers. There's a reason they took a flyer on Barden -- he's as big as Boss and more agile.

About speed -- the NY receivers don't have a lot of it. Nicks is a 4.6 man with outstanding hands; Barden's a step slower. It would really help if Manningham turned out to be a deep threat.

The Jints do have the division's best line, but there's a caveat: they finished 1st in the NFL in rushing, but only 18th in passing. Their low sack total (28) was based on opponent's fear of the run.

About Ahmad Bradshaw: in the euphoria over that '07 playoff run, it's easy to forget how little he's played. He's an outstanding runner, but so far no great shakes as a receiver (which is partly why they went for Ward). He's also much smaller than Derrick, and possibly not as durable.

Eli's the real question mark. Sure, he'll spread the ball, but Burress, like Owens, was far and away their best receiver when he was healthy.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

^^ post of the day @ 8:36 AM?

wow, do you have problems with uhh...being a bit premature?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 8:46 AM

Which is why I CLEARLY said "post of the day SO FAR".

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 8, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Now, doncha feel better?

Posted by: MistaMoe | June

We're commenting on him because he was mentioned in Peter King's column. Otherwise, I doubt he would have been mentioned.

Posted by: will_ga | June 8, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Alex, Boss is "crap" if you don't consider TDs.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Ugh...I saw that pathetic shout out on MMQB this morning too and had to repress my gag reflex. I'm sure Fatsquarelli loves the little weasel too...they can share their mutual disdain for the Skins in between inhaling chicken wings.

Every once in awhile I have to pull out the old Maske columns just to remind myself how a good beat reporter actually handles his business. There was none better than Mark.

I shudder to think how the WaPo will follow up the 1-2 punch to the brain that Nunyo (What me - fact check?) and JLC unleashed on this unfortunate fanbase. I guess they could stoop lower and give the gig to Sally Jenkins or Tom Friend...what an ugly debacle that would be.

I have spent time in other NFL cities where the beat writers are held in high regard because they understand the nature of the job and their audience. It's a shame a major city like D.C. can't find someone to hold down this position who is qualified and capable.

Posted by: McMetal | June 8, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh and I will use the fact that Minnisota has a TE with more TD's then Boss. Visanthe Shiancoe with 7 TD's, raise your hand if you call Mr. Shiancoe a household name?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Boss is a crap TE Moe.
Pulled the TE's from the NFC E and Shockey to add his #s to compare.

Rk Player Team Rec Yds TD
2 Chris Cooley WAS 83 849 1
3 Jason Witten DAL 81 952 4
11 Jeremy Shockey NO 50 483 0
21 L.J. Smith PHI 37 298 3
25 Kevin Boss NYG 33 384 6

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

So basically, if you ignore the fact that he had more TDs last year, and he caught important passes in the playoff/Super Bowl winning run the year before he's a 'crap TE'. Is that right?

Good grief....

So let me get this right; the job of a great TE is to:

a. Be a nice guy.
b. Be REALLY popular with the fans.
c. Have a REALLY hot wife.
d. Catch crucial passes at crucial points in crucial games?

I'm gonna go with 'd', but I'm guessing you're an 'a' through 'c' man Alex.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"I actually feel like I get the best info on the Skins from the DC Examiner..."

Isn't the Examiner just the Times in mufti? In which case, maybe Moonies are sports fans.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"You give any team a dominating O line and the no 1 run game and the TE will have a good shot at racking up TD's Goal line play action=TETDPosted by: alex35332"

More than a little truth in this. It's rare to find a TE that's a downfield threat the way Bavaro and Shockey were, and the way Antonio Gates is now. Still, Boss takes good advantage of his extra height, so give him some credit. Cooley is an outstanding receiver but not necessarily the type of get up above everybody in a scrum and come down with the ball.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I used the word 'gonna'. They're never going to let me back into England ever again.

Sorry all.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mrs. Cooley. This is a terrible thing, and I hope that she beats it and recovers completely.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | June 8, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat,
I like a TE to be an outlet guy, safety valve, more then they are a simple goal line threat. I dont like Whitten due to the star but he is a freak TE same with Cooley.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | June 8, 2009 11:04 AM

Ditto that sentiment for me. It's an awful ordeal that she has been through.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 8, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

If you look back to the passes Boss caught in the playoffs the year before last those are exactly the ones he did catch Alex. He was, and is a clutch guy for the Gints.

Cooley had one chance 2 years ago to reach teh same level but unfortunately he dropped his pass against the SheHawks. It wasn't an easy pass but he could of and should of, caught it.

Witten's a real threat, but he seems to go missing in the biggest games. Maybe it's because when they lose Romo is all over the place, but it certainly seems like he may not quite have "it" either.

Boss has one more ring than any of teh guys you're talking about (I know Shockey got one for being on the roster) and he's only been in the league a couple of years, and he earned it - by making plays that made a difference, when they HAD to be made.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

And good luck Nancy. God willing, you'll beat this.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I am just saying his numbers last year were very average. About the same as Witten's and Cooley's rookie season. A few big plays in the superbowl/playoffs are great but not going to get you in the hall of fame.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

So, McMetal, enlighten us. Just what is the nature of the job of beat reporter? Exactly?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 8, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah - and where'd you get YOUR journalism degree from?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 8, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I hear you Alex.

No-one's getting into Canton yet from that bunch, and Witten/Cooley are two of my favo(u)rite TE's to watch, BUT Boss has made a good start to his career.

His numbers were down last year, as were pretty-much everyone on the receiving side of the ball for the Gints.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383

I actually feel like I get the best info on the Skins from the DC Examiner.

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 8, 2009 9:24 AM

Keim has been covering the Redkins the 2nd longest out of all current beat reporters (The Richmond dude has been there the longest) and has been covering the Skins since the Norv Days....

Keim, reports for scout.com and the examiner. So, technically, he does and should have better inside info.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"by making plays that made a difference, when they HAD to be made.

Posted by: Redcoat"

Unfortunately for Boss, he had to have others get him there. Stick Boss on the Chicago Bears, and you've got a run-of-the-mill TE. It's almost like comparing Dexter Jackson to Brian Dawkins. Dexter Jackson won a SB MVP as a FS. Brian Dawkins has failed to make the big play for his team when they've found themselves in the big moments.

Who would you rather have?

Posted by: psps23 | June 8, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hi ps, I'm not sure if you are arguing for or against me?

Everyone has to have someone else to get them there, don't they? Boss made tough catches when they needed him to in that run, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also, put almost any TE in the Bears and they are run-of-the-mill, they've been poor behind center with a poor game plan for several years.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McMetal | June 8, 2009 10:15 AM

There is a paper that has reporters (Elfin and Daly) like you stated right here in the District. Unfortunetley, due to their conservative political views, this paper has a lower status then the Post due to this town being majority liberal. So not s many folks are able to read them due to low circulation...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I was attempting to make it ambiguous. But I am against you on that argument.

Boss had his role, and he performed well in it. But he's not Chris Cooley, nor is he Jason Witten.

Just as Dexter Jackson isn't Brian Dawkins.

Who knows, maybe he's a Big Shot Robert Horry type player, someone who won't get you to any titles, but then again someone you always want if you're a championship contender. The role player who comes up big in big moments.

Just don't forget that you need a 16 week performer first and foremost to get you there. And Boss hasn't proved he can be that yet.

Posted by: psps23 | June 8, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Any word about James Thrash?

Is he staying or is he going?

There was some post a few days ago about his having a 'career-threatening' injury issue--what's become of that story?

Pick'em: James Thrash or Brandon Lloyd.

Yeah, I know--that's like choosing if you want to lose your virginity to your sister or your mom.

But I digress.

Thing is, how does a 30-plus year old guy have to decide if he should continue being some team's fourth mediocre wide out?

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Hi ps, thanks for the clarification. I agree with you that Boss hasn't proved he can be a 16-week performer, but Witten and Cooley haven't proved that they can do it in the post-season, either.

If you look at their play, they ought to be able to, but it's always tough when you're trying to evaluate 'greatness' (what the heck does that mean anyway?) in a player who requires the quarterback to get him the ball before he can make a play - or not.

All you can say right now is that in their limited opportunities, they haven't shown anything on the biggest stages.

On the other hand, Boss has shown he can do *something* on the biggest stages but perhaps can't sustain that level when it isn't "win or go home".

So I guess ideally you'd have Boss as your #2 TE with Witten or Cooley as the #1. You probably wouldn't need much more receiving power if you had that except one speedy guy to stretch the field.

Maybe that's what Zorn is looking for with Sleepy?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So for every outside run you saw D Ward get yards on, look to see if Boss is there pancaking an wlb or chipping a de before goig out on a pass.

Tight ends are valuable not just because they catch the ball--a good tight end blocks like a tackle, too.

And for the skins, there lies the promise of Fred Davis. He can block and catch and run.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Roger Federer is the best tennis player ever.

Oooooops........?

Wrong blog.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Roger Federer is the best tennis player ever.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

No arguments here. I'm looking for Andy Roddick to have a good run at Wimbledon, though, and I wouldn't be suprised if he won the US Open this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 8, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I think you're onto something Moe, although Witten does have a Madden-led reputation for being a good blocker.

I wonder if it also comes down to being a 'non-star' player. Guys like Boss know they're never going to get 15-20 looks a game, but when they do get a look, they'd better be sure to catch it because that may be the only ball they'll see today- and there will be no do-over if they screw up.

'Star' receivers and TEs know there will always be another pass thrown their way, so if they don't catch them all, they'll get another chance to redeem themselves.

Also 'stars' are used to feeling the ball in their hands on a regular basis because they've typically always been a featured part of an offense. The bit-part guys don't tend to know that this is their shot. Not quite to the Alstott/Vrabel level, but there is something there.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the fractured grammar of my last sentence, I hope you get my point.

"The bit-part guys DO tend to know that this is their shot."

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

So by that logic,Timmy Smith is the greatest running back in the history of the Redskins,and maybe the NFL..

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for the Elfin post. Good story on Henson. Too often we see only the player and miss out on the person. I hope he does well.

Posted by: will_ga | June 8, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator |

Ah HA! You've been taking acid while posting. Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by: TheCork | June 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice use of a partial quote recited completely out of context jumbo5383.

You don't work up on K Street by any chance do you?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Some people are still clinging to the flabby bag of pus, eh?"

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Still opting for the classy retorts, I see. The sounsd we hear are the members of the Algonquin Roundtable spinning in their graves.

--TheCork

"He was a sub-par writer."

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Credit where it's due, MrRedskin21. To review another man's writing skills after having inflicted your own graceless prose on us yet again, cements the belief you have a thorough understanding of the conceptualization and use of Irony.

Posted by: TheCork | June 8, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Red,this is the one i wanted to quote.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 8, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Hence the Timmy Smith comparison

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

And Doug Williams,and Mark Rypien,

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

And Robert Horry is a first ballot hall of famer in the NBA.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 8, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, that's not your first allusion to premature ejac on this blog. If it's so heavy on your mind it stands to reason...you know...

Posted by: brownwood26 "

uhhh, what? I'm pretty sure that actually IS my first allusion to it on this blog.

Nice try, but making stuff up is lame. Don't get mad you got punked!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cork,
Can you do it?

Posted by: p1funk |

I will, right after you tell me the difference in pay rate between what JLC was paid to post here, and what you (and I ) are paid to post here. Waste of your time? Imagine how I felt receiving your “simplistic challenge.”

In turn, I offer you one. List the names and dates of all Irish-American immigrants to the United States since 1840. It’s my one simple challenge to you, since you are posting.

You remain under the misconceptin that I’m a big LaCanfora fan. I’m not. I do respect him for not cowering under the attacks form Redskins management and ignorant posters on his own blog regarding the nature of his job.

I’ve never communicated directly with him. He’s never written or called or thanked me for the ”defense.” Nor do I expect him to.

Probably because, unlike you, he’s bright enough to know I’m not defending him spefically, but standing to attacks on freedom of the press.

I don’t doubt that the media have brought much of the criticism on itself. But standing up to power ain’t part of it. And I DO know “powee” hates that. The bullies who would intimidate the practitioners of free flow of information need to be opposed.

And now that he's gone, and the Post (at least for now) appears more an adjunct of he Redskins PR office than the loyal opposition, expect to see plenty of criticism from me aimed not at the redskins FO, but he Post itself.

Posted by: TheCork | June 8, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don’t know who broke it first, but JLC was reporting very early on when the skins were pursuing Ocho Stinko and offering 2 first rounders for him. Many were up here accusing him of fabricating rumors/stories, but it turned out to be true, even though the trade never happened. Same thing in essence with the Cutler stuff…..

But I’m with Cork…..not a huge JLC fan and don’t necessarily miss him. I just don’t get the people who have to continually bash someone whether its JLC or the Post as a whole. It just rings of a desperate need to feel better about oneself……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 8, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

mistam: "I initiated the Kevin Boss argument and will toss this into it: the guy is an excellent blocker where the likes of Witten and Cooley might not be."

You did? He is?

Here's the thing about Boss: he's caught a total of 43 passes in his NFL career.

Witten has 429 receptions. Chris Cooley has 314. Hard to make a meaningful comparison based on a 43 catch sample.

You have to ask yourself, Boss started 15 games last season, so why'd he only collect 33 catches? It's not like they had other big receivers. And why did they spend a high pick on Beckum -- a receiving TE?

Just questions to be answered on the field next year.

IMO, this coming season is Boss' chance. He was super in the last part of '07, and good in a limited role last year, but

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

And I meant to answer PFunk's challenge myself - I think, if you look back to the coverage of the Sean Taylor shooting, Jasno broke several pieces of information in the blog, after, as a good journalist should do, confirming the information.

I've thought about this question a lot - Do we really expect sportswriters to break stories? When was the last time Boswell or Shapiro broke a story? They aren't hired to be investigative reporters; they are kind of generalists. The sports world is pretty close mouthed, with little incentive for someone to engage a reporter and spill the beans on something that could be a scoop.

So why the focus on scoops?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, I know: James Thrash and 'career' go together like Al Sharpton and Klansman.
Pick'em: James Thrash or Brandon Lloyd...
Thrash is emblematic of the redskins' FO desire to keep 'real redskin' types around as the real good player types keep escaping their clutches. Posted by mistamoe."

I'm having trouble thinking of a Redskin who was ever less like Brandon Lloyd. Maybe Dave Butz? Art Monk? But Thrash has absolutely nothing in common with the guy.

Thrash is a guy with marginal ability who has outworked and outplayed better athletes for years. Ask Andy Reid and Joe Gibbs.

Would we had a few more younger players like that.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"So why the focus on scoops?Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

Good question. And 'scoops' usually go along with errors and retractions.

Oh wait - this is the Internet. Nobody retracts. They just wait for the fog of war to set in and erase it from the common memory -- usually about a day and a half.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1 - I don't think JLa broke that one. But I am not one to go back in the files and check too often.....

I remember he said he knew of the 'Deep Cover' story, but didn't have enough credible info to make a story out of it..

I missed alot recently, though....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting note about a guy who would have come out next year. With Orakpo playing SLB, this guy would be worth a look for a mid round pick. We will see if the scouting department gives him a sniff.

Per Rotoworld.com

Jeremy Jarmon-DL-Player Jun. 8 - 12:30 pm et

Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon will enter the NFL Supplemental Draft after he was ruled ineligible for his senior season for failing a drug test.

The draft is July 16 and Jarmon will hold a Pro Day on July 9. Listed at 6'3/277, Jarmon possesses ideal size to play defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. Unfortunately, he was not very productive as a junior, amassing just 4.5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss in 2008. He'll be a mid-round pick if he's lucky.

Posted by: rbruce2 | June 8, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Also per Rotoworld...the Eagles have already lined up a visit with him.

Jeremy Jarmon-DL- Player Jun. 8 - 1:07 pm et

Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon, who will enter the July 16 Supplemental Draft, was reportedly ruled ineligible for his final college season by the NCAA for taking a banned diuretic.

The UK coaches were very disappointed in the decision and considered Jarmon a good kid. He had already earned his bachelor's degree and appeared poised for a big senior year. Jarmon is scheduled to visit the Eagles on Tuesday.
Source: Memphis Commercial-Appeal
Related: Eagles

Posted by: rbruce2 | June 8, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

'Pears like Thrash's injuries may have finally caught up with him. Clearly that's why he had a really off year ... looks like he has reached the stage where he has to seriously consider retirement.

Best to leave the guy alone. Instead mayhap you should be beating on Davis "sleepy" to step up and challenge Cooley for the TE spot, make him move elsewhere in the offense. Devin and Marko. We will be lucky to see Kelly on the field for an entire season. Best to let that one go as well.

Posted by: periculum | June 8, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN NFL "Rumors"
Is Landry trade bait?

LaRon Landry, the sixth overall draft pick in 2007, has some folks in Washington upset, as he has skipped the majority of OTAs for the Washington Redskins. Safeties coach Steve Jackson remarked to the Washington Examiner that he was "disappointed" in Landry's no-shows, and head coach Jim Zorn was quoted by The Washington Post's Redskins Insider blog as saying that he thinks Landry's non-attendance is "disappointing to his teammates as well."

It's uncertain whether taking the fatherly stance of "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" will work with Landry, a potential star player who is allegedly working out in Arizona this offseason. So far it's just been Jackson announcing his disappointment and Zorn indicating that he thinks the other players are disappointed, a far cry from being publicly called out by one of the veterans on the roster.

In spite of this, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk thinks Landry could be angling to be traded, and has heard "suggestions" that there could be a more substantial issue with Landry's non-attendance at voluntary sessions during both preseasons of his NFL career.

As for Skins secondary coach Jerry Gray, he'd rather Landry stick around, telling the Examiner, "LaRon can become an elite safety. He has the tools."

Posted by: periculum | June 8, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse