Titans Submit Tampering Evidence (Updated)

A report out of Nashville says that the Titans have asked the NFL to look into whether the Redskins tampered in the signing of Albert Haynesworth in February.

Jim Wyatt of tennessean.com reports:

The Titans recently turned in what they considered to be evidence that the Redskins had contact with Haynesworth before he became a free agent in February. The league indicated to the Titans that it planned to look into the matter.
Haynesworth, who played his first seven NFL seasons with the Titans, agreed to terms on a $100 million contract with the Redskins five hours into the free agency period on Feb. 27.
Titans officials declined to comment Wednesday. Greg Aiello, senior vice president for the NFL, would neither confirm nor deny that the Titans had contacted the league.
"There are issues of tampering that come up from time to time and if we need to take some action then of course we announce that," Aiello said. "Until then we don't comment on it.''
NFL rules prohibit teams from contacting agents for players still under contract with another team, but such cases are hard to prove. Penalties against teams found guilty of tampering have included the forfeiture of draft picks, though there have been few cases in recent years.
The Titans did not file a formal grievance with the NFL. Instead, they turned in newspaper articles and audio from a Washington, D.C.-area radio station in which a Redskins official made what the Titans felt were incriminating comments.

The Redskins declined to comment on the story.

By Cindy Boren  |  April 2, 2009; 9:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your Chance to Weigh In
Next: Jay Cutler Update

Comments

shocker

Posted by: showell81 | April 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

FIRST of all, I think we should conitnue after Cutler in a BIG way

Posted by: Skins63 | April 2, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

UGGGGH!

First this awful trade talk about losing Jason Campbell and picks for Jay Cutler.. and now this!!

Not a good day to be a Redskins fan!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

i'm done with this owner and fo

Posted by: RedBaron2008 | April 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Dude, I could care less about this.

CampCut is where the action's at

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

The whole "we should trade for Cutler" crew needs to read this short article which is SPOT ON!

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yeah we can give up two first rounders and Carlos Rogers for Cutler!

Great!

And we'll lose a first round pick from this tampering crap.

Man this is great stuff!
/sarcasm

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering...Why would McDaniels want JC or Brady Quinn when he can get the next Brady/Cassell to develop in Mark Sanchez? He prefers dem USC QB's and I think that is the plan here which is why they want 2 picks rather than players. If JC goes to the Broncos I would still expect them to pick Sanchez and JC will be a back-up or looking for another job soon.

Anyways - We just need to keep him in DC.

Posted by: bigfish761 | April 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

That's the exact opposite of what I was saying; my point was Cerrato deserves some of the credit for those good acquisitions although they were largely due to Gibbs

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:04 AM |

And the bad ones were largely due to Gibbs as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

on the up side we may not have any picks to trade for Cutler.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 2, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

on the up side we may not have any picks to trade for Cutler.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 2, 2009 10:08 AM

...

Ok, now that was funny.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 2, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"The whole "we should trade for Cutler crew" needs to read this short article which is SPOT ON!"

I'm not really a part of the aforementioned "crew", but for a balanced viewpoint you should supplement your daily Redskins diet with this:

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Thats a bunch of BS, so they have no proof at all. It's not even a story, it is very hard to prove tampering you need alot of evidence. Newspaper articles and quates from someone other then Snyder or Cerrato mean nothing.

The Titans need to stop crying and move on, they could have signed him they chose not to.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren

...

Cindy,

Please try to get those comments and share them with us here. I would really like to know what they are.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 2, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Danny boy has a plan. Knowing that the Skins are going to lose next year's first rounder due to tampering, he is aggressively trying to trade away next year's first round draft pick in the Cutler deal so that the League can't take it away!! Silly Danny...it just doesn't work that way.

Posted by: BigE44 | April 2, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think I need to clarify my position on Campbell first off I think he is talented and can manage and even win games with the right offense/team. Problem is he is not a west coast offense guy.. He has a long drawn out release he has problems rolling out and the bottom line is Zorn doesnt think he is THE guy. Some may ask how did you come to this conclusion Exhibit A: Mark Sanchez Exhibit B: Jay Cutler and I have never heard him give Campbell a ringing endorsement nothing more then "Campbell is our guy"

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they have evidence that they met with his agent, who is also Malcom Kelly's agent, so good luck proving anything. The Skins seem to be everyone's favorite target, though.

Posted by: amcg | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"And the bad ones were largely due to Gibbs as well."

Um, ok. That's not at all what the argument was about. Someone claimed that Ceratto's track record wasn't to be trusted. I countered with the fact that he had some good ones in there during Gibbs' reign?

What does your comment have to do with anything that anyone was talking about?

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

3 big things happened in the past 24 hours. None of which I want to really blog about but cant help myself.

1st - The kid involved in the Sean Taylor murder changing his mind on his plea bargain, always brings out the worst in bloggers when talking about punishment of these kids. Clear undertones of race issues when that happens. People tend to go very, both arms and legs for an eye.

2nd- Cutler Gate: WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS OWNER! A MONKEY WITH A DART BOARD COULD BE A BETTER OWNER!

3rd- Tennessee Tamper, they cant prove anything, wont go anywhere but we will probably still lose a pick for it.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

From Frank Hanrahan - Redskins Beat Reporter who is at Redskins Park following the story:

Do the Redskins Really Want this Guy?
Apr 02, 2009 -- 7:38am
Let me get this straight. QB Jay Cutler, who wanted to be traded by Denver because he was upset by trade talks involving him initially , is now saying that he is surprised that the Broncos moved so fast to dump him. Wha wha what? Is it me, or this guy is a tad askew? Cutler did an interview with FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer and said.

"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon. I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me. The Broncos had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't. I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

Wow. Apparently character is not an issue the Redskins are considering.

From Frank last night:

Apr 01, 2009 -- 10:52pm
Redskins spokesman just told me the word is mum on the Jay Cutler trade talk. Does the no comment mean something's up? You'd have to think so because the team would come out and steadfastly deny any rumors, yet they haven't. Being around this team and knowing the way they operate, the deal may happen by as early as tomorrow because they would not want anybody else getting a shot at Cutler. Once again, the Redskins in the business of making that big splash. Cue the curtains for Jason Campbell?

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 2, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:10 AM

That article was written in 07.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Camp Cutler is making me nervous. I can't even work. Too busy checking to see whats going on. Damn Redskins.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 2, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It's a weak article. A couple of quotes from random NFL execs who say they like the kid.

JC17 had the same completion % last year as Cutler.

The yards per attempt # has to be taken in context - playing largely against some of the statistically worst defenses in the league last year.

Not worth the price tag attached to him...

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Farewell Jason and Good Luck!

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"That article was written in 07"

Yeah, and what happened in 08 weakens its premise exactly how?

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"JC17 had the same completion % last year as Cutler."

I hope you realize how foolish it is to directly compare stats given that Denver had a horrible defense (adv Cutler), Skins played in the Beast (adv Campbell) and they had different systems

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the Titans/Haynesworth:

Sourgrapes, you leave such a bad taste (Milo Auckerman- Descendnets)

Posted by: BurgwithaU | April 2, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Sorry hialbg,

I am having trouble dealing with all of the shenanigans. From Cutler to Carlos Rogers to future draft picks, I am truly off of the ball today.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Chris Mortenson on NFL Live

"The Redskins, I would almost [put] them on top because Daniel Snyder wants to make this happen. Without question. He wants to make it happen. It wouldn't surprise me if within 24 hours the Redskins did this deal."

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If this trade happens, and the team ends up using their first round pick, then VC needs to go. If no one over at the park has the seeds to stand up to Snyder in regard to deals like this, its to the general detriment of the team. Gosh, I'm gonna really loathe this if it happens. Not for the Cutler/Campbell part of things, but the draft picks part of it

This just makes Morocco Brown's job that much harder, he needs to find guys at the back end of the draft, and undrafted guys because all the other picks are gone......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

cutler makes the skins better. the skins have a hard time scoring points. with cutler, the skins will average 25 to 30 points a game and with our D, that will make us contenders in the NFC. This is a must move for the skins if we want to succeed long-term... DO IT. quit crying everyone.

Posted by: mopp04 | April 2, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

i wish the fans could do a hostile takeover of the skins. I'd throw in a thousand bucks.

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 2, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

BLEEPETY! BLEEP! F*!#! S*%#! C*

WHEN WILL THE FANTASY FOOTBALL MENTALITY END!?!?!?

Jason has had no offensive line in his time here, he's been handed one different system after another, and even with all that adversity, he hasn't done half bad!! Look at how Cutler handled being part of a trade rumor and look at how Jason is handling it now....tell me who is the better leader and locker room presence?!??

YOU IDIOTS that want Cutler have no freakin clue that a team is not built the way you build it in your fantasy leagues or in Madden Dynasty...It is built through the draft, from the inside (lines) out (skill players), cutting declining and overpriced veterans and plugging those gaps with younger and cheaper players. You think Cutler is going to stand a chance when the RT (whoever that is) or creaky Chris Samuels pulls an ole and Cutler has 2 seconds before a 270 DE has him in his arms?!?! And since we traded off a bunch of picks and have no cap space, there's nothing we can do about it....

YOU IDIOTS AND DAN SNYDER ARE RUINING MY FAVORITE TEAM!!! PLEASE GO AWAY!!!!

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Denver has been a frequent trading partner--we traded a young cornerback(Champ) and picks to get CP andwe traded picks to Denver to get Jason Campbell. Now we are going to trade more picks to get rid of him!!!

Posted by: BigE44 | April 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I am 1000 percent in agreement with fuzzy21's first 2 sentences.............

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey mopp04---it's not entirely QB, but the offensive line that is the problem!!!! oh, wait, trade our top picks for Cutler and have him running for his life behind an aging line--yeah, smart move.

Posted by: BigE44 | April 2, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Alright, I've waited for some news long enough; I'm going to sleep and when I wake up I hope Campbell's still a Skin (even though I'm somewhat ambivalent about the trade as long as we don't give up too much). Hard to dismiss Campbell since he's such a first-class guy and we've watched him grow up tho...

Anyways, if it's Cutler, we'll just figure out a way and roll with it.

I think the only happy party through all of this has to be Cindy because of the uber number of blog posts :)

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"I am 1000 percent in agreement with fuzzy21's first 2 sentences............."

I second that emotion.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44 | April 2, 2009 10:28 AM |

And don't forget that we traded picks to Denver to get TJ Duckett from Atlanta. Denver loves it when the caller ID says "Chumps from Ashburn."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

So the only argument here that I've seen is people saying "Don't give up the farm to get Cutler."

No one is arguing that. I'm arguing Cutler at the right price >>>> Campbell.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Zero draft picks = Zero chance of improving the OL, which Jeffrey Jay Cutler George will need to deliver a deep pass to our questionable receivers. Our points per game will not go up magically just cause the new gunslinger QB is here. This could be the dumbest move in NFL history. We have to be the laughing stock of the league.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Sporting News

Redskins are now the front runners to acquire Jay Cutler trying to close the deal as soon as possible..

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

So we lose a draft pick and can't trade for Cutler. YEAH!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"But, I don't think we do business this time. Some other team will offer more than the Redskins."

Key point...it's not like the Skins are the only ones interested. I think the Browns, Jets and Bucs are all more likely landing spots. Only variable that makes me worry is of course Snyder and his penchant for getting what he wants no matter what.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 10:28 AM |

Unless things are way worse than I imagine (and they often turn out to be) then Zorn has said to the front office "I don't care what line you put in front of Campbell, he's never going to be the quarterback we need."

If, on the other hand, Zorn has said "I just need one more year with Campbell to turn him into a Pro Bowler" and the FO is ignoring him, then Zorn needs to get out of town, fast.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

How about this.

All I hear is "well he needs a better OL", "he needs better WR's", and I swear to god if I hear "IT'S HIS FIRST YEAR IN THE SYSTEM" one more time!

we've seen what we got, and it is what it is. Not great not awful. If yall are oaky with that, please go cheer for another team. I want great.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I dont believe this is Zorn decision Danny and Vinny were in "talks" and then sent for Zorn...

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I am having deja-vu.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Another sobering thought -- for Campbell and for the 'Skins -- is that if the 'Skins have been trying to trade him for a second round pick, and can't get even that, then it tells us how much the rest of the league thinks of his talent and his potential for improvement. After all, Jacksonville was able to get a third for Brunell.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"We stop making excuses for our starting QB. Look at what Big Ben did last year with an OL that was worse than our's."

Yea, look at his numbers. Big Ben's stats are basically the same as JC's. He's won 2 super bowls because he is on a great team.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009 10:37 AM

Truth,

There is no "I" in team.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"younger AND more talented

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009"

DEFINITELY that would be CAMPBELL diabetes ages one rapidly and Cutler appears to have a fairly serious problem with that. Cardio Vascular deterioration. Campbell is faster, more athletic, has a stronger arm.

Sorry Truth Campbell is far better with a huge upside.

Based on what Sanchez has shown they would be far better off drafting him than they would be trading for Cutler.

Watch Snidely lose a couple of first rounders and a second for tampering. What a damned putz of an idiot.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

truth, you're ok with giving JC and a first round pick then for cutler?? I'm not. That is where the bottom drops out for me. Trading that first is a deal breaker. JC for JC, straight up. Nothing more. If Denver wants more then the Redskins need to walk away. They need to treat ALL draft picks like they're gold, instead of how they treat them now, which is like they're dipped in cyanide.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Ohhh, I wonder if the Resdkins website has Jay Cutler's jersey for sale yet! THAT will be the key indicator if the deal has been done!

Posted by: Leeguru | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Ha, I wonder if the Cliff Russell in that article was the same as the dude on our PS...funny

Posted by: hailbg | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

How about this!!!

NFL Exec says...

And the executive said the Redskins had been shopping Jason Campbell for up to a year, since former coach Joe Gibbs resigned. Their disenchantment was clear. Campbell has one year left on his contract and the Redskins have made no movement toward an extension.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Why in the world would you pass on a better, more talented, younger QB just to keep a guy that at his peak you can put him on a great, great Superbowl-caliber team and watch him win.

That's just backwards thinking. Get over your fan favorites people. I like Campbell but yall are ridiculous.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

While it doesn't seem like the Titans have any actual evidence, I ask this: when was the last time any NFL player's contract was completed in 5 hours? I know that it was just "terms agreed to in 5 hours" but really? Just 5 hours? There HAD to be talks prior to 12:01.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 2, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"No one is arguing that. I'm arguing Cutler at the right price >>>> Campbell.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009"

Cutler: less athletic, slower, has a serious disease that could land him on the IR. Is he worth a 1st plus Campbell? No, I think not. The diabetes should be enough to preclude that.

Campbell: more athletic, stronger arm, faster ... has only had one full year as starter and lived through 3 offensive systems.

Campbell is the better choice both statistically and fundamentally.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg and Yoder, at least I know there is some sanity out there.

Oh, and TheTruth, if you think Snyder gives to sh**s about what Zorn is telling him, you're mistaken my friend. This is all Snyder pushing it down on Zorn.

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

CUTLER IS LESS TALENTED TRUTH :

Here's what Scouts Inc. says ... it sure sounds to me like they think Campbell has the greater upside ...
Jay Cutler
2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 75
Alert: None

Comment: Cutler became the starting quarterback during his rookie season. He needs some work on focusing on the game and not allowing outside distractions to throw him off his game. When he is focused and things are going well he can be dominating with his arm strength and ability to throw through small windows. He is mentally as well as physically tough and has the ability to remain calm under pressure, when he stays focused. He is a decent athlete with adequate scrambling skills, but is not going to turn a potential sack into a long gain too many times. He has the ability to throw on the move and can pull the trigger to get the ball off extremely quickly when the right color jersey flashes. He does have a tendency to try to force too many passes as is evidenced by his 14 interceptions. As he continues to learn to read coverages and improve his understanding of Denver's passing game, he should cut down on his number of mistakes and eventually become a top-level quarterback for a long time.

Jason Campbell
2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 74
Alert: None

Comment: He is a good overall athlete with good size and a strong arm. He has quick feet in his pass drops and set up. He adjusts quickly when he sees pressure, but doesn't have a great feel for the rush yet when his eyes are down field. He will get his eyes locked on receivers at times and be late to escape or avoid. He can buy time with his feet and he is a good athlete, once he is outside the box, to make plays with his legs. He needs to improve his overall vision and pocket adjustments. He will only get better with more experience. He has a little bit of a wind up release, but the ball comes off his hand quickly once he makes his decision. He showed good touch on underneath throws and a strong enough arm to deliver accurately on deeper throws. He has good touch on vertical routes and toward the sideline. He has enough arm strength to put good velocity on the ball and drive it into tight spots. He has shown improved timing with his three and five-step drops since becoming the starter. While he will pre-determine where he is going, he is accurate enough to get the ball into his receivers' hands. He has a good combination of size, athletic ability and arm strength. However, he needs to improve his ball security and overall feel for pressure. He is a solid, young player to build around. He will only get better with experience.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

JC17 does not have a stronger arm then JC6, not even close. JC6 also throws the long ball alot better.

I still would not give up a 1st round pick though.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

Certainty is ridiculous.

Trust those who seek the truth. Doubt those who think they are the truth.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,

I thought I read somewhere that there was audio evidence? That could be damning.

Flounder,

JC6 has a better cannon than JC17? I'd like to see both men, side by side, chuck a football. I'd bet JC17's football travels farther.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Cutler has spoken to Jay Glazer and says
"I believe I will end up in the NFC"

Face it people the Dan wants him it is a done deal...

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"if, on the other hand, Zorn has said "I just need one more year with Campbell to turn him into a Pro Bowler" and the FO is ignoring him, then Zorn needs to get out of town, fast.
Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009"

I am channeling ... ughhhhabuggggggahhhhhhh

I see Mike Shanahan following Cutler .... and Mr. Zorn packing his suitcase ... I see lots of nice handshakes ... and wait ... yet another very high 1st round draft pick next year .... and wait ...
I see an angry fluster face ... the pick going to the Titans.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Stallworth Team Hoping For DUI Charges Only
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 9:45 a.m. EDT
The media still isn’t focusing on the distinction between the Thursday booking of Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth on charges of DUI manslaughter and the eventual decision by prosecutors to charge him with DUI manslaughter.

On Wednesday, a member of Stallworth’s legal team stressed to us that, in this case, there’s a significant potential difference.

As we now understand it, the significant potential difference was/is that prosecutors could ultimately decide not to charge Stallworth with DUI manslaughter, but to charge him only with DUI.

The key here is the precise language of Section 316.193(3)(c)(3)(b) of the Florida Statutes. A person who is driving while drunk doesn’t commit DUI manslaughter simply by driving drunk and being involved in an accident resulting in another person’s death. To be liable for DUI manslaughter, the drunk driver also must have caused or contributed to the causation of the incident.

The DUI laws impose strict liability on the driver. Even if the driver is not actually impaired, he’s deemed to be intoxicated as a matter of law if his blood alcohol concentration exceeds the legal limit.

For DUI manslaughter in Florida, there’s no strict liability. The prosecution must prove — beyond a reasonable doubt — that the driver caused or contributed to the causation of the collison.

The key, as it always is in criminal cases, is reasonable doubt.

Experts in accident reconstruction can readily testify as to the reality that, as in this case, a man jaywalking in a multiple-lane highway with a posted speed limit of 40 miles per hour might very well have been struck by Stallworth even if his BAC had been 0.0 percent.

If the expert is good — and there are plenty of them out there – he or she could to inject more than enough reasonable doubt into the question of whether Stallworth’s driving actually caused the collision.

As a result, prosecutors might decide not to spend the time and money necessary to prosecute Stallworth for DUI manslaughter.

It’s a decision that will be driven by many factors, and apparently those factors will still be weighed and assessed over the next few weeks, despite the fact that Stallworth will formally appear in Court today to answer to the preliminary charges that the police have filed against him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Cutler has spoken to Jay Glazer and says
"I believe I will end up in the NFC"

Face it people the Dan wants him it is a done deal...

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 10:28 AM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 10:35 AM

Lines dont make the quarterbacks, quarterbacks make the lines.

The quarterback is the issue, not the line. We know our line is good, look at the first 8 games of last year.

Granted injuries did take a toll, but its also the fact that JC17 cant read blitzes, call out audibles or convert third downs when it matters.

He holds the ball way too long. Cutler not only has an arm as strong (or sronger) than JC17, he is young, comes from a west coast style, and is poised to become a star.

I think its a no-brainer. QB's like this dont become available often. This is a rare opportunity to make our offense instantly better.

We can sit here and list the "needs" all we want, but those "needs" dont touch the ball every offensive play.

The price is worth the player.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | April 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"They need to treat ALL draft picks like they're gold, instead of how they treat them now, which is like they're dipped in cyanide.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

For argument's sake, they did this last season and it hardly had the impact that many envision with this upcoming draft, even though we had 6 more picks to work with. Draft picks don't necessarily equal good players. They certainly misfired in getting help for last season.

Posted by: psps23 | April 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

So Washington West (Seahawks) has a new uniform makes the Bengals orange jerseys look classy.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I see an angry fluster face ... the pick going to the Titans.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:52 AM |

Not a chance Peri., they have no proof if they did they would have filed formal charges against the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Cutler is over rated he is a system quarterback his stats playing in the weak AFC West would not be the same ..

Give Jason Campbell 2-3 years in the same system, same scheme, and same coaches and lets see where you fair weather idiots loyalties lye.

Snyder is clueless in regards to football operations the only thing he is good at is making money

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | April 2, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh this is all so hi-larious. My fave part is all the new hand wringing and "I am done's"

Have you not been following this team? This is MO numero uno for Snyder. All this "he's changed, he's learned, its Vinny's call, Gibb's call, Marty's call, spurrier's call" hogwash, can it finally be put at rest? Snyder calls the shots and he is reactive not proactive. There is never a coherent philosophy, plan, strategy, view point...its all up for change. "We want draft picks, we need a few pieces, lets rebuild, lets reload...."

Maybe now those of us that see the big picture won't get shouted down so hard.

I am zero-zilch-nada shocked/suprised and at this point even angered at this, Do like it? No. Do I think it will work No? Do we deserve to be a laughing stock? Yes? Are we ripped off constantly? Yes.

But I love the skins and have to deal. Buy the ticket take the ride. One day the stars will align we will win like an NFC championship and Snyder will feel vindicated and we can at least enjoy a stretch of fun games.

as Mr.Redskins21 would say to the point of comedy, Selah!

Posted by: chrislarry | April 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | April 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

T-Shirts?

The redskins.com official site thinks its a stupid move. Wonder if the guy is going to get fired by Snidely Owl?

So far, it's all just somewhat arbitrary speculation, and no one here has said anything yet to make me believe that anything about the team's position has actually changed since that last go around two weeks ago. That said, it's an awful lot of speculation -- enough to make me wonder whether such a trade would even make sense.

Here are their career statlines:

Jason Campbell: over 36 career games, has completed 59.7% of his passes for 7,242 yards (6.5 yard average), with 35 touchdowns over 23 interceptions for a career QB rating of 80.4. Last year -- his first full season as a starter -- it was 3,245 yards, 13 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, and a rating of 84.3

Jay Cutler: over 37 career games, has completed 62.5% of his passes for 9,024 yards (7.4 yard average), with 54 touchdowns over 37 interceptions for a career QB rating of 87.1. Last year, Cutler passed for 4,526 yards, 25 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, a rating of 86.0, and an AFC Pro Bowl berth.

So it's down to what quarterbacking style you prefer. Campbell's more careful style results in fewer flashy plays, fewer touchdowns, and -- last year, at least -- markedly fewer interceptions. But that's not what people are going to be focusing on when and if a trade is being worked out; the statistics they'll focus on are the 4,526 yards and the 25 touchdowns, and those seem to dictate that a straight up trade is out of the question.

So the question you have to ask isn't just "Would you give up Campbell for Cutler," but rather something more along the lines of "Would you give up Campbell, the thirteenth pick in the draft, and another pick or player for Cutler?" And I suspect that -- if this deal is actually being considered -- that's at least what it's going to come down to.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"but its also the fact that JC17 cant read blitzes"

Fact? Jason Campbell had a 90.4 passer rating against the blitz last season, throwing 8 TDs vs. 2 INTs. C'mon man, I want Cutler and think he's legit, but you're going to have to come a lot harder than that to bash Campbell.

Posted by: psps23 | April 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 10:11 AM |

Well that's a relief! I guess someone should call the NFL offices and let them know that guy with a 3rd grade education and a stretched out pair of Redskins PJs has deemed the charges baseless.

Posted by: mack1 | April 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The DC media will crush Cutler like a soda can under a car tire

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Lets face it Cutler to the Redskins is a HUGE Splash!!!

the Haynesworth signing didnt garner the attention the Dan thought it would but getting Cutler against all odds now that is big!

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Rich Tandler is as big an idiot as Snidely the Owl.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Here is the trade rumor I am hearing from my brother who works at Ritz Camera.

Skins give up:

Their #1 pick this year

Denver Gets:
Matt Cassell
Kansas City's #1 pick next year

Go to Print!

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Like Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuletta, Jeff George, The Sheriff, Bruce Smith, and on and on and on....

Posted by: Leeguru"

Yep, and Clinton Portis, London Fletcher, Shawn Springs, Santana Moss, Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, etc.

Posted by: psps23 | April 2, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Lines dont make the quarterbacks, quarterbacks make the lines.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | April 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS?!?! The line (barely) held early on and then broke down becuase it is old and our holes (RT especially) were discovered and exposed. Cutler threw 18 picks behind a pretty darn good O-line last year, what's he gonna throw when our line breaks down again this year?!? 25? 30? He really will be the new (old) Brett Favre!!!

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

so what is going to be different if this trade happens, Cutler will be trying to learn a new system, he'll be trying to get on the same page as Moss/ARE/Cooley/Thomas/Kelly, etc., so what would be a realistic expectation?? Would a season similar to JCampbell be so out of the ordinary?? Apart from Dock, you can probably expect the same from the line....so this essentially would be 1 step forward, 3 steps back if we include our first round pick in this trade....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Time to root not for the Ravens, but for the Nationals who are doing things right ... finally.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

psp23,

CP can go to Gibbs. As can santana moss (for laverneus coles who Danny boy tried to buy a big screen TV for). London Fletcher was Gregg Williams doing.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Quaterbacks make the lines"

Could be the dumbest statement I've ever read....

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if you get Joe freakin Montana to take snaps for you, it doesn't matter who's back there if your O line stinks. If Cutler had the same O line as JC, I guarantee you he would of thrown more than 18 INT last yr.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Skins give up:
Campbell
Portis

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"Maybe Snyder and Vinny are sticking to what they know they at least are decent at, and that's getting talented players from other teams.

Posted by: psps23 | April 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse"

Not sure that is a very big bragging point, we can all plant our asses on a couch on Sunday and say "wow that guy is good!"

Also when you over pay for most of them, its a wash. Also when targeting obviously established good players and your track record is like 50/50....again I wouldn't be bragging.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

1. Cutler went 7-9 in worst division in football.
1a. Campbell went 8-8 in best division in football.

2. Cutler was in 3rd year as starter with same coach and same system.
2a. Campbell was in 1st full year with new coach, new system.

3. Cutler has a decent O-line and better WRs.
3a. Campbell has a HORRIBLE O-line and worse receivers.

4. Cutler is a whiny drunk.
4a. Campbell is a high character team guy.

5. We do NOT have the draft picks to make this trade.

6. We have HUGE GAPING HOLES AT OTHER POSITIONS.

These are not excuses. These are FREAKING REASONS WHY ANYONE WITH A BRAIN SHOULD SEE THIS IS A BAD IDEA.

You don't trade a grade B quarterback for a B+ quarterback with character issues when it will just set the team back again and you have to mortgage picks away.

You build teams from the INSIDE OUT.

OUR INSIDE SUCKS.

A 3% (MAYBE) upgrade at QB is NOT going to make the difference.

I GUARANTEE Cutler would put up the same #s as Campbell if he came here.

Seriously, how hard is it to run a football team? Why is it the owner has the least common sense out of anyone?

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 2, 2009 10:57 AM |

Who the F#ck are you, stop wasting my time kid do a little research on tampering in the NFL.

Tampering in the NFL is almost impossible to prove, that is why it happens every year with every team.

If they had real evidence they would have filed a formal charge, do some research on your own and stop taking everything you read as expert knowledge.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

nice job ryp....bringing the heat with that post.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Rypien11, I vote you as the new GM

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

beantown, I know you love to call people wrong, but pretty sure issnad was joking.."my brother who works at ritz camera..."

Posted by: chrislarry | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Snidely Owl, Snidely Owl trading all his men,
Snidely Owl, Snidely Owl wondering who to send?

Feared by Redskins fans.
Loved by Player Agents.

Snidely Owl, Snidely Owl, Snidely Owl.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I think I may just do that Holmes. I live close to Nats Stadium and can actually afford to go to baseball games, may end up just making them my no 1 team.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"Comment: He is a good overall athlete with good size and a strong arm. He has quick feet in his pass drops and set up. He adjusts quickly when he sees pressure, but doesn't have a great feel for the rush yet when his eyes are down field."

sorry dude but I stopped reading there. They should watch JC play more if they think dude is quick in the pocket. He's hesitant as hell. That's probably the one word I would use to describe JC - hesitant.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 2, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

cl, ah....in my anger/frustration at this possible stupid trade I might have missed that......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"Wrong...try it again....Portis would result in what, a 10 million dollar cap hit if traded??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009"

Isn't it 17 million? I wonder how what all of this sheer lunacy will do to the cap?

Posted by: priestholmes | April 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Rypien11, I vote you as the new GM

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM

AYE!

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Fuzzy21. The Redskins need offensive linemen and not another quarterback. Cutler did not achieve the playoffs last year with the offensive line that Denver had. How will he accomplish this in Washington when the O-line is older than he is? Dan and the boys need to stop paying for the name of the players and pay for the game of the players. What is wrong with the draft? The Redskins need to draft young players for their linmen positions. That is where you get the Julius Peppers and Shawn Merriman type players not from other teams. The smart teams don't let these type of players go until they are through their prime.

Posted by: QueenTerri | April 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

He has got to be better then vinny.
Aye!

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

He has got to be better then vinny.
Aye!

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

CP is actually 13mil if traded.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The Nationals? Pulheeeze I dig'em but they suck...there is always room on the #8 Train! Rock the Red.

The Caps rule DC Sports....even homeless agree:

Posted by: chrislarry | April 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

1. Cutler went 7-9 in worst division in football.
1a. Campbell went 8-8 in best division in football.

2. Cutler was in 3rd year as starter with same coach and same system.
2a. Campbell was in 1st full year with new coach, new system.

3. Cutler has a decent O-line and better WRs.
3a. Campbell has a HORRIBLE O-line and worse receivers.

4. Cutler is a whiny drunk.
4a. Campbell is a high character team guy.

5. We do NOT have the draft picks to make this trade.

6. We have HUGE GAPING HOLES AT OTHER POSITIONS.

Posted by: Rypien11

Brilliant list Ryp. It's worse Cutler wouldn't have put up the numbers that Campbell did.

Cutler wouldn't have made it through tte season here!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 2, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Great post

Posted by: ga8085 | April 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Is the poll post newer then this one? IF so beep beep if not nm

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the support.

I mean, getting Haynesworth was a big price to pay, but at least it made sense somewhat... we haven't had a pass rusher in ages, our D-line was old and ineffective, and he was a SIGNIFICANT upgrade; also a catalyst for our defense to start making big plays. He can make people around him better, and we did not have to give up picks for him, all we had to do was cut the fat of the old high priced vets.

This just makes NO sense on so many levels.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 2, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't think cutler is any better than JC and the NFL should let the Titans take on the Hainsworth contract or shutup!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | April 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey Ryp,
You left this one off.

Cutler can throw the ball downfield for touchdowns.
Campbell is a field goal kickers best friend.

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Cutler = Snyder's 09 Ocho Stinko obsession

JUST SAY NO!

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Campbell good int%
Cutler bad int%

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 2, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Here is an article from ESPN on Some SEAN TAYLOR news.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 2, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Beep beep

The opinion post is the newer post, i wonder how i figured that out woth my third grade edumacation.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I also love all of these Donald Trumps up here who “won’t stand for another season of mediocrity”. Us folks who seem to “accept it” are just a bunch of know nothing doofuses. Really…..what are you going to do about it? Open letter to Dan Snyder in all caps on a blog? That’ll change things……if all else fails throw insults at the Post…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 2, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 11:20 AM |

The opinion poll was at 8:56. This post was at 9:53. My fourth grade education tells me that this one is the newer. No child left behind!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Nice post Ryp.
Also add and im not dissing making fun or insulting those with this condition but Cutler has Diabetes, and what ive read about his weight fluctuations and the problems hes having coping with that seem pretty serious. He may be relatively fine now but you can never predict what something like that will do 5+ years down the line.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Jay Glazer Reporting

Glazer says that the Cutler-to-Redskins rumors probably mean Daniel Snyder would also want Mike Shanahan.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

He will be an interception machine when and if he gets here with an aging O line no wideouts with seperation ability a head coach who is still trying to figure it out Cutler will become impaitient,he'll start forcing things downfield,he will abandon Zorn's WCO and try for the spectacular plays and thus interceptions will become the norm; the media will rip him a new one his teamates will lose faith and start comparing him to Jason the locker room will become divided. The fans will think back to this day and wonder WTF.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Isnadd, that goes hand in hand with Campbell not having BIG WRs to throw to or a line that can keep him upright for 3 seconds.

This is not Madden, or even Tecmo Super Bowl.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2009 11:23 AM

Five years down the line? You're worried about five years? With Dan Snyder as owner, you shouldn't be worried about next year. We will have dumped Cutler within three years for the Next Hot Big Plash. That's the one constant on this team.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey flounder, I meant no offense. I shouldn't react so strongly to your idiocy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even morons like you.

Posted by: mack1 | April 2, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM

I read that Cutler has a 46.8 QB rating when he's flat on his back, compared to an anemic 31.7 for Campbell. Advantage: Cutler!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Here is why the Redskins will draft Mark Sanchez if they can. Marketing. He will be the 1st hispanic QB and face of a franchise. Not only that but he is Mexican-american. Think about all the merchandise sales. Suddenly a huge swath of the southwest becomes Redskins fans. It is all about money. And hopefully he would turn out to be a good QB but it is a business decision and say what you will but Danny knows how to make money.

And I think Cutler is a huge mistake. He is a turnover machine.

Posted by: tomac79 | April 2, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine what Cutler's relationship with Moss, ARE, and last year's rooks will be like?

Just wait until the wideouts go down with hammies and he's throwing to Thrash and DThomas (running the wrong routes), with a couple of 300 lb DT's in his face! ... all as he learns a new system (hello, INTs!).

That's what'll happen when you overspend for a lateral QB instead of upgrading the O-line.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Campbell to Denver is perfect, they get a one year QB and then can draft one of the studs coming out next year.

Stafford is getting very mixed reviews and there is such a high risk taking a QB in the first round lately. (Smith, Ramsey, Leinhart, Campbell, etc..)

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 2, 2009 11:28 AM |

No offense taking punk, I actually did the research did you. I could only fine two times ever, where a team lost draft picks for tampering.

With your education you may be able to do better, give it a shot.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

One league source said he thought the Redskins denied any interest because they did not think Cutler would become available. Indeed, the executive said Tuesday morning that Denver was still trying to work it out and had exchanged text messages with Cutler. By Tuesday night Denver owner Pat Bowlen put Cutler on the trading block.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tomac79
-----------------------------------

Uhh..Jim Plunkett was born to Mexican American parents.

And, Sanchez will not be on the board when the Skins' pick at #13. His stock is rising fast right now.

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

This whole thing is idiotic. Time to buy a Cutler 6 Jersey! Woo Hoo.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 2, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I HAVE KNOW IDEA ANY MORE !!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHH
All I can say no matter the out come......

!!!! GO SKINS !!!!

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 2, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

as much as people rag on vinny this has danny written all over it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I thought Jim Plunkett was Native American.....Plunkett means "he who win superbowl and make fool of team and fans who call us redskins"....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

cindy, thanks for the noo thread but whoooo cares!!!!!??!!!

so jc vs. cutler...hmmmmm i think we need to discuss this a bit more...i say cutler. i say cutler is a better qb than rivers. i will stand by that assesment.

Posted by: dealer1 | April 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

deal, I don't even have it within me to ask you about the lions.....sigh.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 2, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

----------------------------------------------

I didn't mention it as a bragging point. I mentioned it as a point of reference where Snyder and Cerrato say "this method is how we've most upgraded our franchise in the past under our control, and this method gives us a better shot at upgrading right now than gambling on more draft selections."

Cerrato saw how his 10 draft-pick class impacted the season last year, why would he think a 4 draft-pick class would be any better this season? He's playing the odds.

Posted by: psps23 | April 2, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

haze, wiki says Plunkett was Mexican-American. I agree he looked Native American.

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tomac79
-----------------------------------

Uhh..Jim Plunkett was born to Mexican American parents.

---------------------------------------

Sry, First Hispanic QB in the last 20 years when the NFL became the most popular sport in America and the hispanic population has exploded. Think of all the new Redskins fans! And I agree he probably will not be there at 13 but that is because all the rest of the teams are figuring out the same thing.

Posted by: tomac79 | April 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

cutler possibility:

trade campbell to TB for pick 17. We trade our 13 for cutler. Detroit doesn't pick stafford #1. KC on the clock at #3. Broncos trade picks 12 and 13 (and a reach around) for #3 and get stafford. Seattle takes the no brainer pick of Curry at #4 and then every other team rips up their draft boards.

Posted by: parasonic | April 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 11:38 AM

Plan A: Jay Cutler.
Plan B: Trade up to grab Sanchez.

I'm predicting Plan A fails when they get outbid. Plan B hinges on trading Campbell for a second. I predict that will fail too. At least, this is how I hope it will work.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

NO ONE WANTS YOUR TRASH (JASON CAMPBELL!)!

jasno's hype machine for this guy is soooooooooooooooooooooo exagerated. his record so far has been the nfl europe dude and reed friggin doughty...c'mon! reporter, yes. talent evaluator, no!

Posted by: dealer1 | April 2, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

cutler possibility:

trade campbell to TB for pick 17.

Posted by: parasonic | April 2, 2009 11:48 AM

You're not paying attention. The 'Skins have been trying to trade Campbell for a second and, at least as far as we know, they haven't found any takers. There is not a big market for Campbell.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 2, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

JC,

Did you provide Tennesse the notes?

Posted by: capitolteacher | April 2, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The Cutler pursuit probably signals the end of Zorn, for you don't get Cutler if you're not going to pursue Mike Shanahan, the coach who developed him in Denver, as well. The Shanahan-Cutler to Washington package has been rumored from the moment the relationship between Cutler and the Broncos deteriorated. Zorn will, of course, get this year, but already he is being stripped of his greatest trait -- his integrity.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | April 2, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The Broncos don't want Cutler, and they don't want Campbell either. The Broncos want Sanchez...which is why they want number 1 picks. They know they need to dump Cutler while the dumping is good.

Danny's problem is he can't not get the next brightest shiny thing.

I like JC. He is a stand up guy and not a bad QB who occasionally flashes brilliance. His problem is he lets the coach affect his play on the field to his detriment. He thinks about what coach wants instead of just playing ball. Its unfortunate and true that he gets blamed for following the coach's direction instead of having more of a "FU all, i can do this" attitude on the field and telling coach when he comes to the side "why? because that is where I needed to go with the ball...quit calling the FU&*ing dumpoffs so we can win this fu*&^ing game, jackass" once or twice. JCs worst problem is he is NEVER going unleash himself. Its also one of his greatest strengths...but its limiting and preventing him from achieving greatness.

Having said all of that, cutler is not the answer. We are better off with JC17 and other area improvement. I really think Campbell will have a really good year if he is around. I expect him and the three dueces to do big things, particularly Kelly and Thomas.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 2, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

No doubt the team tampered with Haynesworth but even though Vinny is dumb about draft picks, he's very good at being a weasel. He'll wiggle out of this faster than anything. I used to respect the Redskins front office. Bobby Beathard was a genius, and even though Charlie Casserly wasn't the most astute talent evaluator, at least he had integrity. I thing it is sad that Vinny skirts the rules any and every chance he gets and the sadder part is his team still cannot advance past the second round of the playoffs. When I root for the Redskins, I root for the players and not the team, because the integrity is gone from this front office. I now invoke the ghost of Jack Kent Cooke to haunt Vinny and Dan for the rest of their natural days.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 2, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Go to Print!

Posted by: isnadd | April 2, 2009 10:58 AM

Where does Campbell go? KC? If it could all work under the salary cap, it might not be such a bad deal for the 'Skins. It's certainly better than their giving up their first round pick.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 2, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Here is why the Redskins will draft Mark Sanchez if they can. Marketing. He will be the 1st hispanic QB and face of a franchise. Not only that but he is Mexican-american."

Posted by: tomac79

Jim Plunkett preceded him by thirty years and is also a Mexican American. And Plunkett was preceded by Tom Flores, the only player outside of Ditka to win Super Bowls a player, assistant coach and head coach. Ignorance seems to be bliss around here. You must be ecstatic.

Posted by: edwcorey | April 2, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Trading draft picks and JC for Cutler sets this franchise back at least 3-4 years. It means a new coach next year (i.e. Shanahan) and no draft picks. Cutler's character is questionable & his teammates don't seem to think much of him. His integrity about not wanting to be traded? I can't believe the Skins would trade a high character, classy young QB who is just starting to develop for someone like Cutler.

Snyder needs to fire Vinny, hire a real GM, and stick to marketing/sales. He learned nothing about building chemistry or continuity from Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 2, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 2, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

what has Cutler done that Campbell hasn't? All he's done is shown that he's immature and a whiner. Why would we want that here?

Posted by: poeticfire | April 2, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

1. Cutler went 7-9 in worst division in football.1a. Campbell went 8-8 in best division in football...-ryp

and yet you as a FAN of this team and only a FAN of this team know a whole lot about these two qb's in question than all of the GM's in this league. GM's who are clamoring to get cutler for multiple 1's and are only willing to give up poop for your beloved QB of the future.

SERIOUSLY! dude, listen to yourselves. and listen to people who's job it is 24/7 to evaluate talent at the highest level. don't listen to ONE listen to all 32 collectively saying "i'll give you poop for your jc 17"...

again...this won't solve anything as long as vinny's in charge but to compare the two QB's while the rest of the league is saying a big fat F YOU to snyder for asking for a 2nd rounder...c'mon...you don't know more than all of the GM's combined.

Posted by: dealer1 | April 2, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

let me make this much clear if the skins are giving up 1st round pick for cutler they better make sure it's a future one nut a current first rounder where they have a lot of wholes to fill such as lb de OT soon coming RB no disrespect intended for this once proud organization under may god rest his soul jack kent cook the skins are getting to the point where they are getting compared to teams like cards, lions, and raiders.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | April 2, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Dealer -

Cutty or JC?

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Skins Fans!
Just like I said yesterday, if you think the skins will trade for Cutler, you are an April Foooooooooool.
Snyder in his right mind will not do that to the chemistry of his team. Talking about the rumors is already affecting JCampbell, he is already saying "there is no loyalty in this game" which eventually may affect his production on the field. Let's be real, why would JCampbell sacrifice anything on the field this year knowing his departure from Washington after the season is possible?
Hail!

Posted by: abxinc | April 2, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Ha! The joke's on them. The league can't penalize the Skins by taking away their draft picks: The Skins have already traded away their draft picks!

Posted by: jkarasek | April 2, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

We lost Cutler. Campbell will be pissed. And now due to the efforts of the owner and VC we could still end up losing Draft Choices! Things are really looking up?? We will be in last place again for sure. These problems come from the TOP!! Another Loyal/Frustrated Skins Fan.

Posted by: smarshall1 | April 3, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse