TJ Duckett Sits, Somewhere Mike Shanahan is laughing

TJ Duckett is scratched for this game. Skins gave the equivalent of a third-round pick to get this guy in three-way trade with Denver and Atlanta. So through three weeks with Washington, he will have appeared in a single contest, with 5 rushes for 24 yards. Considering the import of these three games, doesn't seem like much value.

Salave'a is out with the calf problem, and rookie Kedric Golston, one of our bloggy favs, gets his first NFL start.

The rest of the inactives: Pucillo, Molinaro, Springs, Doughty, Boschetti.

For those of you keeping score at home, Jason Campbell still the No. 3 QB.

O lineman Todd Wade dresses for the first time as a Skin. He's a former Texan surely with all of the secrets and inside dope to beat this mighty Houston squad.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 24, 2006; 12:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend Update
Next: Monday Morning H-Back

Comments

Wheres all the taylor fans,that was a td and long pass he gave up!eat your words !

Posted by: TEXANFAN | September 24, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I never understood the Duckett move. It's like a vote of no confidence for the other RBs.

Ugh, these penalties are just killing us.
Seven already--yikes

Posted by: Megskin | September 24, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

you see why are run D is worse in nfl,2nd half will be all texans!

Posted by: texanfan | September 24, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

i cant beleive we are only down 14 pts to a SB contending team like the deadskins!hehehehehahahahehehahahehahehahe

Posted by: texanfan | September 24, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a W. Brunell looked good, but, sorry, Texanfan (you're always welcome here), that isn't the stoutest defense in the world. Makes you wonder about next week's matchup with Jacksonville....How do you think the Skins will do? Jax is gonna be cranky after losing in Indy. And it's a big day for Byron Leftwich, coming home....

Posted by: Jason's editor | September 24, 2006 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and it is particularly troubling to note that the Skins are averaging 100 yards a game in penalties....

Posted by: Jason's editor | September 24, 2006 4:31 PM | Report abuse

More quarterbacking and kicking woes. 'Skins need to replace Mark Brunell and John Hall, ASAP. Brunell missed connecting on three passes, and Hall didn't make a kick longer than 47 yards.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Texans Fan...where are you now???????

Posted by: Rainesmaker | September 24, 2006 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Still not sold on Brunell, considering that shovel pass early in the game had nothing to do with him. He was still rushing throws, checking down way too quickly. He continued to throw the little dinky passes to the sidelines, rarely going downfield. And the coaches didn't see to free him up. I think they realize he doesn't have it anymore, either. I mean, good on him for setting an NFL record, but again, this was Houston.

If Springs plays next week, I think the defense should hold up against Jacksonville. Not sure about the offense, though.

So, Archuleta had another awful game. Missed tackles and blown coverage on a couple of occassions.

But, I'm still glad they finally got a win. Won't mean much, though, if they tank next week.

Posted by: Colin | September 24, 2006 6:04 PM | Report abuse

What happened to TexanFan. Seemed to kind of shut up after half time. I guess he got tired of trash talking a futile effort. Off to the next sports blog, huh TexanFan. hahahehehahahehehahahehe.

Posted by: Macaca Johnson | September 24, 2006 7:34 PM | Report abuse

have SB tickets for you skin fans, and also some valuable property in gator country florida,TRUST ME hehehe

Posted by: TEXANFAN | September 24, 2006 7:43 PM | Report abuse

MY LAST WORDS,its about time you won against a AFC team,last time 2003,you guys all ran in the bathroom and changed your diapers when we picked up fumble and ran it back for TD,those refs that gibbs is always crying about,anwsered his prayer and called it back or you guys would be blogging tears to each other.see you guys in SB 2020...hehehe

Posted by: TEXANFAN | September 24, 2006 8:04 PM | Report abuse

With Duckett scratched, will someone please explain the Redskins' decision to trade for him?

Now I have to go root for the Patriots to beat the Broncos for the good of the Redskins.

Posted by: Ali Haji Shank | September 24, 2006 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey TexanFan. Two words. Reggie Bush. Peace!

Posted by: Macaca Johnson | September 24, 2006 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Texans Fan,

Give it up! We won...handily! So say sayonara and go visit the Dolphins blog...they are next on the Texans "hit" list, right?

Posted by: Rainesmaker | September 24, 2006 9:00 PM | Report abuse

hey texhole,

steers and queers boy, steers and queers, and i don't see any steers.

31-41...shut yer yap

Posted by: skinfan | September 24, 2006 9:31 PM | Report abuse

somebody please explain the rationale behind the call on portis' td run before 1/2 time??!!

Posted by: cosmofla | September 24, 2006 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Eh, who cares about Duckett....wasn't it clear all week this game was all about getting "2-6" going? It would have been sort of lame to be giving carries to Duckett considering the circumstances with Portis. We had to get him going, especially with Jacksonville and New York coming up.

Posted by: Ryan | September 24, 2006 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't really matter whether or not you're sold on Mark or not. The coaches are, and more importantly, his teammates are. Kudos go to him for performing well, within the game plan they gave him. The shots he took downfield looked good. This should go a long way towards rebuilding his confidence. He's it for this year, so get behind him and support your quarterback!

Posted by: Brunelljustsetarecord | September 24, 2006 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Believe me, I don't care about Duckett. I care about the draft picks. And the thinking of the front office people who made a trade like that. Draft picks should be leveraged against something other than a player you do not play.

I could care less if Duckett gets a single carry more this season, but giving away something for nothing is an issue I think we should all be concerned about when we are thinking about our team's personnel decisions.

Not that it matters to the people who make those decisions, of course. I'm sure Danny, Vinny, and the rest of the organization are celebrating this well-earned victory and won't be able to get to this opinion tonight.

I'm curious to see what we do with Duckett. He's a free agent at the end of the season. What are the chances one of our "personnel decisions" will be to get him signed to a multi-year deal before the end of the season? Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake?

Posted by: Ali Haji Shank | September 24, 2006 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Man I missed out on the game time blogging... I had to help my parents move in Va Beach this weekend so I watched the game in an empty living room on a plastic chair with the TV resting on the fireplace, taking out bags of trash during commercial breaks. Sweet!

My Skins fanitude has achieved a higher level of nerdiness this season. Thank you Jason.

Thoughts on the game:
The Skins played to their strengths today... Brunell put on a clinic for short yardage passing and Portis/Betts was amazing. God, Dockery looked good. I'm officially declaring Jansen and Samuals suspect. That many penalties won't cut it against JAX. Hall did his job, Frost had a good night. Our boy Goston took care of Business (TCB points) Texanfan has a hard time with are/our and simple cognition in general. Skins beat a team they should have and the coaches are getting back the formula that will win games. Jacksonville looks tough, thanks for TCBing pre-game style Jason...

Posted by: Dorf | September 24, 2006 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's not jump to any conclusions with this game. The skins were able to run the ball because the Texans sucked. Jax Defense is 10x better than houston's, and we won't be able to run the ball as well. This game was pretty much one to determine whether our season is worth playing for...

A loss in this game would have hurt us much more than a win has helped us.

Now it's up to the coaches and players to study this sick JAX defense that held the Colts in check today.

Posted by: K-Man | September 24, 2006 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Love the blog...but not keen on the pic...You either shouldnt have one on there, or look a bit more chill!! Waer a hat and t-shirt or something.

Posted by: OC Paul | September 25, 2006 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, K-Man. That's what I've been saying, and that's what I meant when I said I'm still not sold on Brunell. Now, if he comes out next week and does something against the Jags, I'll start turning the corner.

Posted by: Colin | September 25, 2006 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant job by the coaches to play to the Skins' strengths. Brunell can't go down field? Use short passes to get it the hands of Moss, Randle-El, Lloyd, and even Patten and let them do the rest. Oh, and let's not forget Portis and Betts.

Still not ready to start picking out china with them, though: way too many penalties, and the defense isn't cutting it. Maybe if Springs comes back? Carr's comment that Skins defense looked like his brother's high school team might give them the motivation they need to get ready for the Jags.

Posted by: skinsforlife | September 25, 2006 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Just want to highlight the A+ performance of our kickers. I shovel it on them when they fail. They deserve kudos today.

Posted by: Crash | September 25, 2006 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I don't care that the Texans stink; I'm just happy we won. The O-Line, when they weren't holding, looked great. Lots of sweet blocking from the receivers as well.

Posted by: Megskin | September 25, 2006 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, we miss you in the Freep, but glad you are covering my Skins now (born and raised in DC). Anyway, seems to me that Derrick Frost is owed some major props. Seems minor with everything else going on, but that dude has been booming his kicks this season. 60 yard punts really help that field position game.

Posted by: Jack from MI | September 25, 2006 9:22 AM | Report abuse

What are we going to complain about when Springs does come back and he's not the defensive savior you're all making him out to be...? I'm getting real tired of him coming back being the answer to all the defensive woes. We still need better pressure on the QB so hopefully Springs can create that. Jason, what was the deal with Carter? Is he hurt or just bad? I remember my freshman football coach telling me as a DE (I was no physical specimen mind you) not to "titty-rub" with the guy in front of me... Thanks Coach.

Posted by: Dorf | September 25, 2006 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Duckett uhhg. How has Shanahan not won a Super Bowl in the last 8 years? The man has twice the draft picks as anyone else. Skins and Broncos.

Golston I love the kid, if for no other reason than we actually drafted him. Given the first 3 games who has made a bigger impact on the team Golston or Carter? The answer is clear.

If Carter had any sense of fairness he'd switch paychecks with the kid.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2006 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The running game yesterday looked like Gibbs 101 -- lots of counter plays and pulling guards. It seemed to be in contrast to the type of plays Saunders called the 1st two weeks.

Where does a loser like David Carr get off comparing the Redskins defense to a high school team? Are you kidding me?!

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 25, 2006 10:40 AM | Report abuse

The entire Texans TEAM looks like a high school team. So, what are you saying Carr? You can't beat a high school defense? You can only put up 15 against a high school defense? You must suck worse than I thought!

Posted by: Carr=Punk! | September 25, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Take the good with the bad. We won a game we should have, against a team that is barely competitive.

How can you lose when your running back doesn't get touched until he is in the linebacker/secondary area. Great blocking by the wide receivers though, nice effort.

The lack of secondary depth and mystifying coverage skills are troubling. Golston looks like a keeper. What was he a 6th round pick this year? Yeah, draft picks even late ones are overrated right?

Posted by: Kevin K | September 25, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse