To Gadget or Not to Gadget

I was asking Coach Jim Zorn the other day about changes that were made during the bye week, and what tweaks the coaches chose. He was cordial but a little evasive - at least by his standards - but one thing he did volunteer was that he won't be putting Antwaan Randle El under center in the Wildcat formation.

It's something he wants to study in the offseason and take full notes on before implementing, but who seems better suited to this kind of thing than Randle El? He's elusive, throws a nice ball from his college quarterbacking days and is a stellar athlete (he was a heck of a baseball player and has great eye-hand coordination, as you would expect).

I think it would be a wrinkle worth checking out, even if only for a play or two here or there. Unless suddenly the Skins unearth multiple receiving options and a diverse group of wide receivers, I'd exhaust all weapons and get the ball in the hands of some other people. Randle El could lure some of these outside linebackers in Dallas's 3-4 scheme and throw over the top.

Also, with Jason Campbell coming off a game in which he was under such duress and facing an opponent that can rush the passer, it would not be a surprise if the Skins were to roll him out more this week. Move the pocket around a little more; let him try to hit Cooley and some running backs on the run.

Should the Skins be without tailbacks Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts to help with pass protection, I say get JC on the run a bit and don't fear the gadget play. I'm guessing the Z-Man has a trick or three up his sleeve after having an extra week to prepare for this game.

Randoms: Wide receiver Jeary Colbert cleared waivers yesterday after being released by Seattle early in the week and is someone who must have a decent base of what Zorn is running here. He's worth keeping an eye on as a WR the Skins could bring in - along with Billy McMullen, Anthony Mix and a few others - should they opt to put Malcolm Kelly on the injured reserve list next week. ... I'm losing out in my quest to turn Chloe into a preschool punk rocker. She asks for "mommy's music" in the car with alarming frequency and sings James Taylor songs in the bathtub. Yeah, I'm a little worried. Also, when I break into "For those about to rock," randomly now, it's no longer a foregone conclusion that she will reply with, "we salute you." Suggestions, please. ... Anyone else a little freaked out by the horrible cover version of "Saved By Zero" on the car commercials? Could they not get the rights to the original song? The Clash, Dylan and everyone else have sadly on that route. You mean to tell me The Fixx would not relent? Always had a soft spot for them ("One Thing Leads To Another" and "Red Skies" were other favorites), but man, this version in the commercials is brutal.

...

You'd think Zorn would more readily embrace gadget plays, given his days as a gadget entrepreneur with B.N. Genius (Be Ingenius, kinda of) in Seattle. Steinberg, natch, has the saga of German pneumatic toys, nose trimmers (I think the word "hair" should be in there) and a concept that was way before its time.

What's next from Zorn?

"Oh, there's more," he assured me. "But I'm gonna let you discover all that. I'm not gonna tell you."
He paused and gave a clue.
"There's an interesting side of me, too, that has to do with cast-metal sculpting," he noted. "So go into that area. That's a cool area."

Good. We dig stories about the artistic side of NFL coaches..

...

The Steinbergian brain also wondered by the Skins are home 'dogs against the Cowboys.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 13, 2008; 10:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spring Forward! Chat Time Changes (Updated)
Next: The Morning Practice Report

Comments

Skins 24
Cowpokes 23

Romo re-injures his pinkie getting lodged in Rocko SplacIntosh's facemask and T.O. pulls an abdominal muscle the day before the game doing sit-ups in his driveway. The Skins send the Cowpokes into a further tailspin and they end the season 6-10.

Ohh and Mike Sellers runs for 100 yards and injures Demarcus Ware in the process.

Get em SKins !!!

Posted by: dspinx | November 13, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

FIRST, there are too many posts today.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,
Can you find out anything about putting sellars in the game a bit more?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Randoms posting the middle was random.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | November 13, 2008; 10:45 AM ET

You're saying Billy McMullen's still available? On Monday you (and his agent) said we had to move fast because Detroit was about to pounce on the dude. You're saying that Detroit took a pass on the guy? Man, this is such good luck for the 'Skins.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Given the weather, it'd be very surprising to see any of the injured on the practice field today.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 13, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Well its official, I will have my first HDTV for the game. Found a Sony Brava 32" on sale.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for leaving me on a prior thread guys...

I guess I know where I stand now.

*folds arms and storms off in a huff*

Posted by: Redcoat | November 13, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to FREEZE on Sunday night! It's supposed to be 75 here today and then the "cold front" will bring some mid-60s temps.

Who am I kidding? SO excited to be able to pull out my Skins game bag that has been patiently sitting in the closet since the move in July - full of Skins' hats, scarf, blankets and cold weather game goodness!

CANNOT wait for the game!

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 13, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren

Which is why we need a bubble facility. Can someone please please ask the danny to be a bubble boy.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Found a Sony Brava 32" on sale.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 10:57 AM

32"? Alex, that's like a training bra. Why didn't you go for something bigger? Even an A cup, but why not a B cup?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

RC, I just sent you a bonus points check in the amount of 1,000,000, and this is how you act??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Damn Greg, are you divesting your points? As I kept hearing over the past month or so - "spread the wealth"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If you're going to the game at FedEx Field on Sunday, you should know that you might freeze your giblets off,

LMAO! I needed that this morning. Look out for you giblets!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Yes and keep us updated on the Colbert Report.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm just back from the bank having tried to cash it so my wife and child could have heat today.

Need I say more?

Posted by: Redcoat | November 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Catch you later guys. Thanks to Greg's 'generosity' I'm going to have to sell another pint of blood. that's the fifth this week.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 13, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

When you have a small appartment 32 inches is about as big as you can go with out it being disperportianent and the focal point being un obtainable. My living room couch is 5 feet away from the TV, anything bigger would result in one being unable to see in perfect resolution and one would end up seeing pixelation.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I really hate it when I see pixelation

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 13, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Besides I got the thing for 25% off.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Saved by Zero makes me change the channel every time!

disgusting...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 13, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, sorry about that...sometimes those bonus points are tricky....they might have been expired, which in that case, you now owe the bank the Canadian Equivalent of 1,000,000 bonus points....which is like 10 looney....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Keary Colbert was drafted by Carolina and this was his first year in Seattle. They traded a 5th round pick for him and still cut him. So in addition to probably not knowing the offense real well he must completely suck.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 13, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Interesting how folks keep making such a big deal over the Boys being 1-2 without Romo, they were 1-2 BEFORE he got hurt.

So what's the difference?

Posted by: craig2 | November 13, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

alex did you buy the TV online anywhere?

how much was the final cost?

been looking for a 30 or 32 inch TV myself

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

JLC - I couldn't agree more about the annoying Saved by Zero ads. They drive me nuts and during game broadcasts they air on almost every commercial break.

Posted by: dreamav | November 13, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I cant stand comercials that end up using any music with clear political and philisophical undertones to sell their junk, if I were a ligitimate artest I would go nuts if I saw my work being used to hock coke or UPS or some car.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

IIRC, wasn't Colbert a fairly high draft pick by the Panthers?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Colbert was terrible with the Panthers. He's not an upgrade over anyone. McMullen on the other hand, he could help.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 13, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Truth,
Sears.com it was going for 799 I got mine for 599 in the end after tax.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I would not hold my breath waiting for ARE under center or lined up at shotgun.

Teams run the wildcat and other "have somebody other than your quarterback be the quarterback" plays because THEY SUCK and are offensively anemic if their real quarterback plays quarterback the entire game. They have to use gadgets and trickery to get the ball into their playmakers' hands because the base offense can't get it done.

I don't include the Redskins in that category. We have JC, not Chad Pennington. And I certainly would not want to give opposing defenses a free shot at JC if he is slpit out or in some other dumb ass place on the field.

This doesn't preclude the use of the end arounds, the reverse, or the ARE end/around pass/run option.

I think Zorn entertained your question and gave the "we will review it in the off season" answer because he is too nice of a guy to look you in the eye and say "Are your f'ing stupid or what???...nice futbol jersey, though"

PS. Good work with the run/pass stats breakdown and analysis.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 13, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

40in vizio LCD HD 1080 P for $749.00

Posted by: drkeller1 | November 13, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Alex - the artist has to agree for the song to be used - so everytime you hear something, they agreed to it (and got paid for it). I think an exception may be Beatles songs since Michael Jackson owns them and not Paul and/or Ringo.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 13, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 13, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Local talk radio up here has former NFL players Fred Smerlas, and Steve DeOssie on, and regarding the wildcat, they said that once the qb goes out wide, the corner back should just absolutely DESTROY him at the line. Just demolish him in his tracks.
It makes sense when you think about it, but
I'd prefer this didn't happen to JC....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Pretty slow up here today what's going on???

Posted by: dealer1 | November 13, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, I would levy serious, serious "kangaroo court" fines against any CB/LB etc who did not absolutely anihilate a QB who's coaches put him in position to be targeted.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 13, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Are you required to leave a QB on the field? I would remove him from the game if I wanted to run the wildcat play.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 13, 2008 11:20 AM"

uhhh, our offense HAS been pretty bad at times...

Wildcat next year might be on the way back out once coaches put enough time into it to expose it.

It's hot right now, need to jump on the bandwagon.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Pretty slow up here today what's going on???

Posted by: dealer1
Its raining

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It not due to the rain Alex. It is because everyone is protecting their giblets. LMAO

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

That would be funny, i doubt a corner would take out JC maybe on a blindside blitz or something but JC faced up would not be to worried about that i would imagine.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 13, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

We don't really think that just because Zorn says Randle El won't be under center, that some version of the "wildcat" doesn't exist in his playbook?

Ya know, "shotgun" generally means the QB is not UNDER center.

Posted by: craig2 | November 13, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 13, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wildcat Schmildcat!

If some defenses can't decipher a frekkin' high school play, that's their fault. That's no reason to give up on football.

And the Dolphins are only two games worse than us, aren't they? Maybe they actually have some really good players in there? Ronnie Brown (Soup's teammate) and former league leading 'Run Ricky Run' Williams?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 13, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

... if I were a ligitimate artest ...

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I believe your name would be 'Ron'.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 13, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

uhhh, our offense HAS been pretty bad at times...

It's hot right now, need to jump on the bandwagon.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abus

I thought you were smarter than having to resort to the "its hot right now, we should do it" reasoning.

Its idiocy at least for a team LIKE THE REDSKINS who do not need to resort to trickery to move the ball. And if you think the Redskins are not moving the ball, you have not been paying attention.

As to the redzone and the lack of touchdowns, we need to get Kelly on the field to open up the corner fade, the jump ball, and the at the goal post end line throw. Zorn realizes this, and that is why he has chosen to hang onto hope the kid's knee will calm down. Apparently, so far so good this week.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 13, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"Saved by Zero makes me change the channel every time!"

Too true Dik!!!

But I'm not so sure about the Clash having sold out and having songs in commercials.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | November 13, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Dont cry for the artists, Alex. To run the music in ads, or as themes for TV shows or IN TV shows themselves. they have to negotiate the rights. The rights fall to the publisher and can be sold by the artists or songwriters. So Michael Jackson owns the Beatles cataloges and sells it to commercials for his own money (He may have had to sell the rights off).

But Pete Townshend, who wrote teh Who songs,, has made a fortune off selling Who tunes to the CSI series.

No matter "Baba OReilly (Teenage Wasteland)" was once a revolutionary anthem, now it 's used to hype forensics.

I wonder how much coaches get paid to look like idiots in these beer commercials.

By the way, next time you watch one o those, look at the way people hold their beer. No drinker I'd want to have a beer with would hold a can of beer by the very bottom like that.

I know they do it to show the label, but it looks idiotic. Of course the beer tastse like pond water, so what do you expect?

Posted by: TheCork | November 13, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninKaneohe,
is there a bar on Oahu where skins fans gather to watch the game?

Posted by: zarpe | November 13, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse