Tom Cruise Weekly Awards

I know we were just getting into the swing with the weekly Friday awards, but, in light of the TomKat sighting and all of the rich, bountiful material The Danny has bestowed upon us media hacks with his latest star-struck relationships, I think we need to change the format. We'll give out some awards for the week based on a 1-5 scale of TCCL - Tom Cruise Couch Leaps.

So, like, Antwaan Randle El, for trying to single-handedly pump life into a flagging offense/special teams, would get, like, 4 TCCLs - the equivalent of Tom professing his undying love for Katie to Oprah the second time. Someone registering 5 TCCLs would have to be for something really big, like the first time Cruise professed his love for Holmes and went bonkers and started leaping up and down. A Redskin getting a 3 might translate to Cruise's performance with Matt Lauer on the "Today Show."

Get it?

Clinton Portis - 4 TCCL: With a few more carries he might have been able to win the game for Washington. Tough to gauge how often to feed him the ball coming off that dislocated shoulder. He played hella tough as always and had a few powerful blasts right up the middle. Will Monday night's effort end up hindering him at all at Dallas coming off a short rest/work week? We'll see.

Al Saunders - 2 TCCL: Loved that opening play, but overall the offense was erratic. Needed to run the ball a bit more and try to establish more possession in the second half. He was in a touch spot in his first game here with so many new parts and everyone trying to adjust to the system, but in the end results rule the day.

Redskins Defense - 1 TCCL: Fair or not, the expectation is that the defense will always be the backbone of this team, especially early in this season as the offense learns yet another new system. The performance by the entire group on third down - coaches and players - was not good enough to win in this league. They have to find a better balance of blitzes and a way to general a pass rush fast, because Dallas is pretty loaded at WR. They need Shawn Springs big time.

Dan Snyder - 3 TCCL: He knows how to take it up a notch on the big stage, eh? Quite the sideshow Monday night. The Entertainment Tonight/Access Hollywood set must have been really impressed. Then agai, without The Snyder (how's that for a compromise?) there would be no TCCLs to begin with, so I've got to give him credit for that.

Shawn Springs - 5 TCCL: Yeah, he's out injured, but he still supplied some of the best quote fodder this week and was pretty blunt in his assessment of the secondary the other night, and the challenges still to come. When asked about Carlos Rogers having to step up against TO Sunday night, Springs said: "Either you're going to supply the foot or you're going to supply the (backside)." (Cindy - Can I use the a-word on the blog? Is that too randy?) That pretty much sums it up, huh?

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 15, 2006; 8:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fity-Fity Update/Ex-Receiver Watch
Next: The After Blog - Redux

Comments

Jason,

Please don't perpetuate the nonsense surrounding Cruise. Believe it or not, I truly felt embarrassment while sitting at home when ESPN continually showed Snyder and Cruise..ESPN is probably more to blame for placing a higher value on 'entertainment' celebrities rather than serious broadcasting of a football game. However, Cruise gives me the creeps anyway, and having Snyder promote Cruise at a game is just 'shameless huxtering' (as Weasel at WHFS used to say)!

Posted by: rick atlanta | September 15, 2006 8:44 AM | Report abuse

ESPN MNF - 2 TCCL - what's up with all the cruise shots? We want to watch football.

Kornheiser - 3 TCCL - I thought he did much better on MNF this week. But I think he should go bald all the way. Thoughts?

Posted by: X.Hog | September 15, 2006 10:04 AM | Report abuse

This blog -- 3 TCCL

THe Sean Springs comment was hillarious, I hope our boy Carlos Rodgers can handle it this week, T O and Glenn are no joke! I can't wait for Springs to be healthy...hurryu up fool!

Posted by: Moskins | September 15, 2006 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Xenu approves of this blog. He gives it 5 TCCLs and promises to rid it of Thetans.

Xenu also would prefer to use the name "Mr." Snyder.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 15, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

TK go bald all the way? No way. Mr. Tony is a white (well orange) guy. When you think white cue ball you think G. Gordon Liddy, you think Mr. Clean, at best you think Kojak. Wilbon can do cue ball because when you think black cue ball you think MJ, Ving Rhams, Sam Jackson. The most TK should do is lose the freakin' combover!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | September 15, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

ESPN gets -1TCCL.
Why, too few shots of Katie H!!!!!

Posted by: Busdriver | September 15, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree with rick in atlanta about the Tom Cruise thing on ESPN...however, i believe ABC had Geena Davis in the booth with Michaels and Madden on a Monday night game just before "Commander in Chief" made its debut. When does nationally televised football (ABC or ESPN) NOT take the opportunity to throw a few celebrities into the mix?
And might I comment on the idea of "value on 'entertainment' celebrities rather than a serious broadcast of a football game" - doth we take our sports too seriously? Pro football players are very much like hollywood types - haven't you seen Portis on MTV CRIBS?!? They live lavish (excessive) lives, have huge paychecks, and shamelessly promote themselves with sponsorships (Eastern Motors, Sprint, Campells...oy).
I love football. Just don't look past the commercialism and "entertainment" value.

Posted by: jessica | September 15, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

1 TCCL to Redskins fans who sell their tickets to Cowgirl fans.

1 TCCL to the food at FedEx.

2 TCCL to sports talk radio.

5 TCCL to football season finally arriving!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

After Pierson Prioleau got injuired, why didn't Danny/Joe suit up Tom Cruise to reprise his Stefen Djordjevic role in All the Right Moves?

Sure looked like the Skins could have used DBs and it would have rated 6 TCCLs (or more likely 5 Tom Cruise Fractured Ribs) in my book.

Posted by: Evildoer | September 15, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise has nothing to do with football and football should have nothing to do with him. Please don't waste our time with this TCCL crap.

Posted by: BD | September 15, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Love the blog, appreciate the articles, but I've just gotta say this. Drop the Tom Cruise stuff. This is about da Skins. This is about sports. This is about us. Just because Snyder wants to show off his latest acquisition doesn't mean we have to get swept up the the hype. Yeah, I know you reference soccer and mullets and other cultural references, but please save the Hollywood fluff for Liz to handle. Unless Cruise or Katie can kick a 50 yard FG...

Posted by: Homer | September 15, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Homer, I'm trying - I suppose in this case without success - to belittle the hype. This is a farce.
Weasel on HFS, now that's a voie that no one will ever forget, huh? Oh the memories.

Busdriver - I ran into Katie and thought she was quite fetching. Guess ESPN was plugged into the wrong demographic.

I found the whole thing pretty shamless myself, but I also learned long ago to try to have fun with all the extraneous BS that comes with covering pro sports these days, and roll with it. Hell, my Red Sox let that toolbox of a no-skills actor Jimmy Fallon celebrate on the field with the players while the team basked in the greatest accomplishment in the history of pro sports so they could us it in a crappy movie.
But I'm not going to stop rooting for the team because of it, or let it make me crazy and take it too seriously. These guys are all out to make a buck and cross promote and some do it more brazenly than others.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | September 15, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If "Mr." Snyder's track record is any indication, Tom Cruise will soon be an overpaid actor with no decent roles to his credit.

Oh, wait...

Posted by: P Diddy | September 15, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Jason, thank you for digging up a memory that is both my fourth greatest sports memory (behind Super Bowls XVII, XXII, XXVI) and my single worst sports memory: Fox's shot of Jimmy Fallon on the field while the Sox celebrated. speaking of Tom Cruise, I wish I could Vanilla Sky that memory and selectively erase just that split second I noticed them onscreen.

I hate Tom Cruise. It really pains me that Snyder decided to bankroll him. And just when I thought he was finally turning a corner... Any chance this is Six Flags picking up the trash of Paramount (Kings Dominion)?

Any chance we can get the Skins banned from nationally televised games? It never seems to work out for them. (Peppar spray gone wild?)

Posted by: OD | September 15, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Portis downgraded to DOUBTFUL. Contradictory statements coming from Portis and Gibbs about CP's prospects for the weekend.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | September 15, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Yo J. La C.....Weasel's on 94.7 starting at 7pm weeknights if you still want to hear the voice.

Posted by: Hoss | September 15, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Exactly how did Snyder promote Tom Cruise? Did he hold a press conference? All he did was invite his newest employee to watch the game in his owner's box (his right btw). He didn't ask ESPN to spend more time on Tom Cruise coverage than the game. And he most certainly didn't ask a certain Jason La Canfora to start a TCCL Award.

People ought to just leave Snyder alone. When you buy *your* NFL team, *you* can choose to run it however *you* see fit.

Posted by: Bart | September 15, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Skins suck, I was at the game and they looked like Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky: wounded and lost. Stuck in a world they dont understand while trying to find themselves. All that was missing was Cameron Diaz driving Mark Brunnell off a bridge.

Posted by: disillusioned | September 15, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Now Gibbs says Portis is out because he didn't practice. 2-6 says that's news to him. Sounds like the exact opposite of last week. J La C....help us out here in 'Skins-fan-land...how many captains are at the helm of this rudderless, sinking ship?

Posted by: Hoss | September 15, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Jason, the idea of opening up awards on a consistent scale is great, gives us all a chance to chime in - but please, something other than Cruise.

Posted by: Doug | September 15, 2006 8:54 PM | Report abuse