Torrence Moves on from You-Know-Which Play

From Jason La Canfora and Barry Svrluga:

Corner Leigh Torrence, who left without speaking to the media after Sunday's loss, spoke with reporters this morning. He said he was sad to have been beaten on a big pass play that helped the Rams win, but is trying to move on.

"Sometimes things go your way, and sometimes they don't," Torrence said. "But you have to move on."

Torrence said he has not watched replays yet. "I believe I was in pretty good position," he said, "but it was an underthrown ball."

As for jawing with Rams coach Jim Haslett, Torrence said he felt the Rams players were yapping from the sidelines and he was addressing several people, not just Haslett.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 13, 2008; 12:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Samuels May Miss Practice
Next: Zorn on the Punting Situation

Comments

Posted by: batigol85 | October 13, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Quit yapping and knock a ball down next time.

Posted by: bmo63 | October 13, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Romo is out 4 weeks. They have 3 games and a bye before playing in DC. So he should be back for us. I doubt a broken pinkie will keep him out of that game.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 13, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The skins will need to address the CB position next year. Smoot and Springs are always getting hurt, and Torrence is no more than a dime CB.

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

He had good coverage, the under thrown ball is one of the hardest in the game to defend, can't blame him for that. Just wondering where LL was on the play, shadowing Holt? I thought that Carlos had him locked down on man and LL was favoring the opposite side of the field.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | October 13, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wait. We both have byes before we play each other?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

4th/JMM220,

Dudes look for some shades of grey occassionally, I didn't say the draft was a "bust" I said their production has been dissappointing thus far. Rookies contribute all over this league. While I agree a long view is important, real time evaluation is not worthless.

Davis was a bad pick, said it then, since and will continue. I think he is a talented player, I don't think is was a wise pick for Skins at the time.

Also I agree maybe coaches should trust D-Thomas more. Even with his mistakes in games, he still seemed like a viable option for JC when in.

ALSO i said it was dissappointing we didnt have a young, hungry option at 3rd WR to beat out Thrash. That could have been Mix, or a young free agent WR we could have signed, not nessesarily the Rooks.

Am I alone in being sick of seeing Thrash out there?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

You cant boil down the losss with the one play. Skins couldnt hold onto the ball or kick it more than 20 yards.

Things will get better

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 13, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Bad teams draft for immediate results. The skins drafted for depth. We will develop the guys we picked up (except for Brooks as it looks now)

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 13, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Torrence lost the ball while in the air, so while his position was decent he didn't react to the ball once it got near the two players.

Although it was the lack of pressure/blitz working that really allowed Bulger to hit that play...got to find a way to get after the passer on 3rd and long....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

So what you are actually saying is that JT is playing comparably to 2nd round rookies so far. The problem being that these rookies have their whole career ahead of them and JT is on his way out. His stats follow. You basically aren't making any sense at all.

SPLIT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
2008 11 7 4 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 4

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Point is JT has been injured this year, not apples to apples comparison. JT has proven to effective over the years, and one of the more prolific pass rushers over the past few years. He'll most likely have more of an impact this year (again if he's healthy) than a rookie will this year. There weren't very good DE's in this draft. That's why I don't have the knee jerk reaction to the draft.

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

It's hard for me to put much blame on the defense when they allowed 12 points in the entire game. I mean, the Rams didn't score an offensive touchdown in the game.

Posted by: skins1976 | October 13, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I still like the JT move, and think he has been hampered by injuries.....but I'd be a lying d-bag if I didn't admit I was getting a bit nervous he is a bust for us....yesterday he was a non-factor.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

torrence has never been good, but the play was tough to defend and I wouldn't necessarily consider it blown on his part. My question is this: why did greg dial up a 2 safety blitz on third and long when all we had to do was keep them out of field goal range? Leigh, who everyone knows isn't a 22 or 24, was on an island on perhaps the most important play of the game. Awful awful call.

Posted by: batigol85 | October 13, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

76' skins

I agree about D. Also by the last drive they had been on the field to much. However I thiink over 6 games a lack of consistent pass rush is a legit concern.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Campbell seemed to be badly out of rythym yesterday. Going to be a tough week for Zorn

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 13, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Both Skins/Cowboys have the same bye week...and Steinberg has an item about Brad Johnson and former Skins QBs:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 13, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not disappointed yet. We gave Taylor Jacobs 3 years, we are we giving these 2nd rounders only 6 games?

Re: Thrash - He has looked good this year to me. Have you seen his blocking and occasional route running. He's just not explosive. Kelly/Thomas will replace him before the season is over with.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I think Blache is nervous by our complete lack of push with 4 man DL front, and overreacted with the safety blitz...

OK I am annoying myself....going to shut up.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Billy McMullen (Sea) '08 #'s:

7 grabs, 124 yds, 17.7 avg. Which would be good for 4th on our team for WR's/TE's.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 13, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

lied...

I have seen Thrash drop 4 catchable balls this year. I am so sick of that dude. Maybe I am irrational but we should have some young gun at 3 WR.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 12:20 PM

Look man, I understand the not having a knee jerk reaction thing. I'm with you on that one. The point here is that JT is not staying healthy. He hasn't been fully healthy for 1 single game and the year is more than a third over with. I would much rather have gone after one of those rookies (which are having more of an impact than JT) that we could develop further and have contibute for many years rather than have payed so much and given up so much for a guy on his way out. That if he's healthy thing ain't workin' out.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 13, 2008 12:24 PM

Hard to get into a rhythm when you are running for your life.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if any of you have seen this but it is a perfect illustration of how yesterday's game didn't go as planned!

If the link doesn't work go to Digg.com and look for redskins tailgate fail.

Posted by: will_ga | October 13, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

JZ is backing off of Vinny's comments earlier.

Watch out for controversial post.....

Brooks is said to be hurt. I see IR coming...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Outside of JC's bonehead choice to not just fall on a fumble, he was fine yesterday, especially considering the pass rush....

So my wife has me doing mad chores, thats why I am frantaicaly posting!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY

It's the opposite. Bad teams draft for the future. Good teams draft for immediate results. For a team like the Redskins, or for any team serious current-season aspirations, it's not enough to just say "let these guys learn". We've got a gem in Horton, but other than that, the class has been underwhelming. Especially with 2 WRs being expected to carry significant roles as 3/4 WR options coming into the season. If this team is going to be a true contender, the rookies have got to step up.

Posted by: psps23 | October 13, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Putting Brooks on IR works for me. Maybe he'll be a steady punter yet, but right now I see a shell-shocked kid whose confidence is shattered.

He needs to sit for a while.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 13, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Chrislarry -

You are not alone. Thrash cannot catch a ball that is in any way shape or form contested and in the NFL, 95% of balls are going to be contested. I am sick of watching Thrash "just miss" a potentially game changing catch. Love the guy, love his ethic and his ability to contribute on Special Teams, but it is time to let Devin take the reps from the 3rd WR spot....

Posted by: keino83 | October 13, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It's Moore's time to get embarrased by JZ for not blitzing on that big pass play.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

batigol85, Blache indicated that a blitz was called on that last play....that someone up front had missed their assignment....the pass should never have been made so not on Torrence.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 13, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

1st time JC17 wasn't bashed by the Head Coach. Sweet.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JZ just swatted away a JLaC question.....

"I don't think we'll make a drill for batted balls in the air for lineman"

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

From Steinberg:

Jim Zorn's Monday press conference began with repeated questions about the punting situation, and he seemed less certain than Vinny Cerrato that a punting change was inevitable.

Zorn said that rookie Durant Brooks is getting an MRI today for a sore quad in his kicking leg that has been bothering him for some time, which could affect the situation. He also said the team had already arranged for other punters to come in for auditions based on Brooks's performance, but that Brooks would have an opportunity to win that competition. There is "absolutely" a chance that Brooks could be kicking next weekend, Zorn said.

"Here’s the deal, I would say his position’s in jeopardy because of performance, not because of injury, because of performance," Zorn said. "He may be the best guy out there, and then we’d have to continue to work. The thing is, he punted well all week long, he got to the game and he didn’t punt well. So we know he’s a good punter, but a good punter also punts in the game good and he did not."

Zorn said he didn't want to "falsify" or contradict what Cerrato had said this morning, and he suggested that Cerrato's certainty about a change was based on Brooks's injury.

"I think if you read what he said in context it was just assuming that [Brooks] was down," Zorn said. "We already had contacted some punters to come in regardless of the injury, the punters were coming in, so I think those two factors could help Vinny say that in context."

Zorn also said that, if a punting change is made, the new punter would have to have experience as a holder, and that the punter job is the "biggest question mark" on the roster.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 13, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

You guys hating on Thrash, but Santana dropped 2 passes yesterday alone. One that haulted the 1st drive of the game.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 13, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

c'mon 4th please.....really? Yes Santana drops a few but I think his body of work speaks for himself...

Thrash is done, the fact that we don't have a 4 year or younger player at 3 WR is not good.

Thrash=done.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

JZ - "We're all in it together"

Gibbs 2.0 is being vindicated.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

OK. Let's cut Thrash and bring back Mix.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 13, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor, I don't think anyone is discounting the crucial drops from Randle-El or Moss. The difference is they make explosive plays in addition to their drops. Thrash does not. So in addition to crucial drops, he gives us solid special teams play.

What good is knowing the routes in the offense if you cannot A) Get separation and B) Make the catch if the ball is contended.

It's a waste of more talented people that play the position to continue to use Thrash as the 3rd WR. He should be a WR in our Red Zone Package but not at all between the 20 yard lines.

Posted by: keino83 | October 13, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

+++Cork - You mentioned the WR in philly. He only helps one or 2 plays a game. That's not a big contribution (Thomas contributes on the same amount of plays a game). –4th floor+++

Interesting Opinion. So I checked the stats:

DESEAN JACKSON, Phila,

29 catches for 433 yards.

19 Punt returns for 252 yards

DEVIN THOMAS Wash

4 catches for 40 yards,

O return yardage,

Yeah, you’re right. That’s pretty much a push.

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Mix plays good special teams, and while he's not super-fast, he's faster than Thrash, younger, and he's a bigger target.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 13, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Football has a way of laying games like the Rams one on teams. We still nearly got away with it and I think we'll be 6-2 at the halfway mark. (we'd all have taken that, no?)

The Torrence play was a result of not having a strong enough D-Line to pressure the QB (I'd have played conservatively there and kept the Rams as far out as possible, but I'm not the coach). The kid got exposed and we got burned.

Danny and Vinny - some bodies for the O and D Lines next year? Please?

You remember Mann, Manley, Jacoby, Grimm et al? You should, because we do.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Torrence never looked back for the underthrown ball. He got turned around several times and the ball floated in to Avery. But in Blache's defense, like Zorn does on offense in a tight game, he came after them with a blitz with the game on the line. The first 2 plays of that series were no-gainers or losses. I would have stayed in coverage on 3rd down because they likely would have gone for it on 4th down 1. Bring the heat on 4th. What's this about Romo being out? T-O time bomb is ticking.

Posted by: gregskins | October 13, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse