Coach, players welcome regular practice routine

With training camp finished, the Redskins next week will begin their regular-season practice schedule.

"What we try to do, at least for the first two [preseason] games, is just go through the normal camp," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "We run a few different defenses and a few different plays that we think they [opponents] might do so that way we end up prepared.

"But the normal routine starts next week, when we go through Wednesday, Thursday, Friday practice - which will be next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. That's when we get our routine down as coaches and players get a feel for what we will be doing throughout the season."

Players welcome the change.

"I think guys always like to get back on that Wednesday, Thursday, Friday routine of the season," center Casey Rabach said. "It's just good to get back on a normal rhythm and do the things we're going to do when the season starts."

Said outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander: "You want to do your work in camp, get that behind you and start the regular pace of the season."

I'm headed to the Welcome Home Luncheon with my guy, Rick Maese, and will have a post on the event later. Until then, as always, peace.

By Jason Reid  |  August 20, 2010; 10:23 AM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Starters will get more playing time against Ravens
Next: Sources: Albert Haynesworth plans to play Saturday vs. Ravens

Comments

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 10:18 AM

I was just being sarcastic……makes no difference to me whether or not they bring anyone in, although I wouldn’t mind them bringing the red snapper back. Just making fun of all of the knee-jerks up here screaming to cut guys b/c of an injury or prior time missed….when I read a lot of the comments up here I just picture a big South Park crowd screaming stupid shti……..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"The Redskins' best first-team unit should include Thomas."

How the hella does JReid know what the best first-team is? Shanahan has put DT third-string because obviously he's not one of the best two receivers on the team. JReid can be such a meat rider with a dude that will give him interviews.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 20, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm willing to give Shanny a benefit of doubt with this camp. Seems like things are moving in the right direction.

Posted by: kipkiperson | August 20, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Fluff again. There are battles going on in camp, rookies fighting for roster spots, and plenty of other juicy topics. JReid, my patience is wearing. Do you want to make the RI roster cuts?

Posted by: pgugino | August 20, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I like what Shanny's doing. His over-arching approach to this camp and this team is to put everyone on notice that no one's job is safe.

Do we really think Haney won't start?

Do we really think we are going into the season with a 50 year old WR as a starter?

Do we really think that CP will not start?

No, no and no.

Shanny did something that hasn't been don on and to this team in years.....

He lit a fire under everyone's azzes.

I am all for it.

Besides, what about our beloved 'Skins give anyone the idea that this team and it's players deserve anything other than this?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Coach, players welcome regular practice routine"

As do I...it means Week 1 is just around the corner.

Damn, I can't wait...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Getting a player like Jackson for a 2nd in 2011 and a mid round pick in 2012 to sure up the WR spot this year, would allow the Skins to carry 2 or 3 of the younger WR, and part ways with Galloway ( a likely one year rental). If I were Allen, I'd keep that line of communication open.
Posted by: TWISI | August 19, 2010 10:39 PM

If something doesn't happen on this front, I'm inclined to believe that Allen knows he can go ahead and get VJ in free agency next offseason without having to give up the draft picks. A.J. Smith should lose his job if he doesn't trade VJ because if he doesn't, he loses him next year and gets nothing in return. That's why the Redskins should be able to name their price because there's no way that situation ends well in SD.
I'd call Smith up and offer the 2nd round pick along with Malcolm Kelly and Chris Horton. Take it or leave it.
Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 5:13 AM

If shanny n allen make the move for jackson our first year offseason will be complete...

I remember an allen interview saying there gonna turn it around in the first year. Let's look at what they've done....

2 bookend tackles, good start on oline rebuild

New franchise qb, finally a play maker, sorry campbell didn't cut it

Light a fire under CP, get a good last year outta him then bring in a young shanny pick

Return game has 2 options now, banks n austin, either r better than ARE

Orakpo gonna go at the QB twice as much as last year

In one year I think these changes could result in 4 or 5 more wins....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I hope week 1 we use doug free as a free pass to sack Homo

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of hate, have we done this as a poll topic?
Least favorite Redskin player.
(excluding one hit wonders like Dion and James Washington. Sorry.)

I pick Joe Theismann. As a kid I hated his single bar face mask. As an adult I hate his stupid mouth.

Posted by: mack1 | August 20, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Anyone? Anyone? Redskins bars in southern Orange County? Anyone?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo gonna go at the QB twice as much as last year

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:38 AM

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Orakpo was designated the 'coverage' OLB guy.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

tyvm, Hess

Happy Friday indeed!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

brandon_

"I'm inclined to believe that Allen knows he can go ahead and get VJ in free agency next offseason without having to give up the draft picks."

I call this the 'Brian Cashman' way of doing free agency: you get the guy you want by simply wanting out the other team's GM.

Then, you pay what you want without giving up players or assets.

Perhaps next spring is when a deal goes down, but if nothing happens, it'll be because DT or some other young'n on the roster shows promise.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of hate, have we done this as a poll topic?
Least favorite Redskin player.
(excluding one hit wonders like Dion and James Washington. Sorry.)

Posted by: mack1 | August 20, 2010 10:42 AM |

I easily pick AH as the Redskin I dispise the most.

At least General Joe made it to practice. He was quoted as saying he practiced with a hangover that was so bad, his teeth hurt.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Hey 4th, remember haslett said that last yr rak got after the QB bout 400 times, this yr is supposed to be around 800....

Idk if his sacks will double but even if they stay the same as last yr, 11, id be happy with that

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I cant wait to see the rook square off with T Sizzle tomorrow.If the rook gets his hands on Suggs its over,he's gonna have to try to speed rush him,but the rook gots them happy feets!Thats gonna be one hell of a battle for the first quarter.

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 20, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The headline should read, 'Starters to Get Exposed Against Ravens'. LMAO!!

I see the excuse-makers are already at it: 'Ravens should win because they're jealous of the Redskins and will play extra hard.' or 'Ravens are treating this like it's the Super Bowl and they'll game-plan and everything.' Are you kidding me? The Ravens starters will whip the Deadskins starters because they're better!!

The preemptive Deadskins apologists should stop trying to provide a soft landing for your fellow Cadaver followers. Tell 'em the truth - y'all have a team comprised of duds! LMAO!

Won't be any more Super Bowl talk from Cadaver fans after the Ravens do what they do. I guarantee you that. You think it smells like a skunk den on the board now? Just wait until the blind believers go into overdrive after this one, flatulently billowing their excuses all over Deadskins Insider! LMAO!

It's Friday in Texas and I'm in a good mood. So I won't talk any trash.

Why are y'all so funny to me?

Hell
To
The
Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 20, 2010 10:07 AM

i think they're funny because they watch but can't see. he-he-he.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 20, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Only a real dumb f would want to mortgage our future for a WR who is suspended for a quarter of the season and probably wont resign with us because he wants a huge contract and the Skins arnt in that game anymore.

Sound like a move Vinny would make.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 20, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

good call moe,

I think if vjax sits the whole year our chances of getting him r worse off

I think we will get him eventually, either a smart trade or FA next year.

I think even if DT does step up n we KEEP MK, we still grab Jackson

Shanny knows we got an old team. Were gonna use every option available to upgrade our team, its a younger league n were behind the 8ball

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Salinas, think big picture, if we get him there gonna resign him

If we wait till next yr to sign him we might get him cheaper

A year outta football he won't be able to demand B Marshall $$$

3 games suspension is overlookable, esp if were gonna have the guy for 4 or 5 yrs

For the record, vinny would trade 2 2nd rnders, a 6xth rndr n then take aj smith out to dinner

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I easily pick AH as the Redskin I dispise the most.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 10:49 AM |

That's funny because those aren't even real teeth.

Joey T has a mouthful of fake chicklettes.

I heard Doc Walker mention, however, that Monday through Saturday he hated Theisman. But, on Sunday, he wouldn't want any other QB. That's a decent testimonial.

My all-time hated 'Skin has to be Michael Westbrook. I could go on for an hour about how much God-given talent he had and how big of an utter dewsh-bag he turned out to be but why waste the forum's time?

You all already know that.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1

I distinguish between annoy and hate. JoeT annoyed me at times. I'll go with AH - love him or hate him, JT had more toughness and professionalism in his right finger than AH will ever have.

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | August 20, 2010 10:42 AM
Joe T has come a long way as far as his broadcast abilities go, IMO. I really liked when he was part of the SNF team on ESPN. He talked too much when he first started but has really learned to be part of a broadcast team. I would say the same thing about Dierdorf.

As far as his playing days go, why hate on a guy who led the team to two super bowls and could be argued as the best (one of the best, anyway) QB’s in the game from mid 1981 through 83. Guy was league MVP in 83……..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Theismann story was when Glenn Brenner interviewed Theismann's soon-to-be-ex-wife about why she left him and she said "I only wanted him to love me half as much as he loved himself."

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | August 20, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey Takes10Peters,

I can SEE that you have no offensive TDs.

(srry - I know, ANY TD by a CowPatty is offensive...)

How's your Aunt Mom and Uncle Dad?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Surgeon Generals Reminder: Arguing with trolls makes you go blind.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Completely off topic so far buttttttttt

WHO SHOULD WE GRAB UP NEXT YR????

NAMES OR POSITIONS....

NEEDS....... WR/ DL/LB/ CB/ C/ RB

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Do we really think Haney won't start?

Do we really think that CP will not start?

No_Punt_Intended

i don't think shanahan is bluffing, particularly in the case of haynesworth.

i'm putting my money on haynesworth NOT starting. shanahan plays his linemen in a rotation, so haynesworth will see the field alot (or as much as his conditioning allows), but i don't expect shanahan to start him if he doesn't practice.

shanahan is not afraid of running back by committee either, so i do agree that portis will start, but other backs may see some time. johnson would be a more serious contender to usurp portis if he knew how to block.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | August 20, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | August 20, 2010 11:07 AM |

Kathy Lee Crosby?

BTW, I knew his kid through another friend that moved from VA to MD. Joe's kid was a pretty well-known coke-head/dealer.

His dad was never around - I get that - but still, what's with NFL dad's kids and the drug dealing business, eh Andy Reid and (allegedly) Tony Dungee?

Sad.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What.. it's only sports guys?!

I barely know an upper middle class kid that DIDn't deal for a while...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I barely know an upper middle class kid that DIDn't deal for a while...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 11:20 AM

Are we talking about Vegas, Atlantic City, or the Gulf Coast?

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

If you think VJ won't demand Brandon Marshall $, I think you're crazy. Even if he didn't, the Skins arn't about to pay anyone a high salary now. They're changing the culture...If we trade away anymore draft picks I'm going to lose it...Get real, this team is still NOWHERE close to being a contended. Sorry to break it to you. I wish we were, but we're not.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 20, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Lord knows I've had friends that slang...

The difference between rich white kid drug dealers n middle class drug dealers, the rich think there untouchable, n are usually the ones that snitch out. Only with the friendly drug dealers I know anyway

That's why cali is great, I go to my dispensary n get the medical grade n the fuzz can't do nada

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of hate, have we done this as a poll topic?
Least favorite Redskin player.
(excluding one hit wonders like Dion and James Washington. Sorry.)

Posted by: mack1 | August 20, 2010 10:42 AM |
------------------------------------------
Westbrook for punching on Stephen Davis.

Heath Shuler for his poor playing and that all time stupid, "the balls are slicker in the NFL" excuse. If ever any jacka$z belonged in congress, it's him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Completely off topic so far buttttttttt

WHO SHOULD WE GRAB UP NEXT YR????

NAMES OR POSITIONS....

NEEDS....... WR/ DL/LB/ CB/ C/ RB

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 11:15 AM

1. QB of the future (so he can ride pine for a year, not including the scab season) ... Locker will be gone by the time the Skins pick at the #32 slot ... maybe trade up for Mallett.

2. An offensive linemen and interior linebackers.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"NEEDS....... WR/ DL/LB/ CB/ C/ RB"

I see specific areas of interest/concern:

left guard

right/tackle guard

weak side linebacker

free safety

center

For some spots (like center) we do have in-house candidates.

But with Dock's age, left guard is an immediate issue as is right tackle as J Brown's hip issues could balloon into a major problem.

Kareem Moore shouldn't be our only true FS.

With a 3-4/4-3 switch, linebackers who are interchangable are at a premium.

A mix of low cost vets and low round drafted guys might ease these concerns.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:52 AM

YEah...but to me that offseason talked changed a little in my opinion when theu unveiled he would be the 'Buck' LB.

Going back to last year, oSackpo could have doubled his sack total by just wrapping up....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Why don't we try drafting a good WR? Just like every other successful team does. I don't understand why the people on this blog still have that Snyder mentality. Makes me wanna throw up all over my keyboard.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 20, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Sween - Dominican Republic (nyuk nyuk)

And I think we take wotz good. We're old at pretty much every position - so we take what we can get & work it!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Locker will be gone by the time the Skins pick at the #32 slot ...

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Did you bring enough Kool Aid for the rest of us?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Moe, Dockery's age? He's 29 with no injury history. Also, Orakpo is the Weakside LB this year, I believe. Carter and Alexander are competing at the strong side.

Biggest need: WR

Second Tier of needs: RB, RG, C

Developmental needs: NT, QB, SLB

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Watching the Patriots last night, I'm thinking that Shanahan is installing the Patriots' offense. Santana Moss would be the Wes Welker slot. The running game comes first (see also, Joe Bugel). The two tight end sets would be the two tight end sets. The idea is just to get the first down and wear down the defense. When the "just get the first down" play falls apart, the deep receivers are the hot read. Also, the non-media-answering QB in both offenses knows that the coach is boss and his job is to make something happen when stuff falls apart.

I'm not sure which 3-4 is being installed yet, but its not New England's.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Besides the fact that SD is asking for too much in trade for V. Jackson, there are more issues to consider.

The first being his personal asking price. He wants to be paid top dollar for his position, similar to what B. Marshall is being paid. While certainly a good receiver, I don't think his play has justified that big of a payday. Because of the CBA uncertainty, owners are extremely reluctant to hand out those kind of contracts this year, even for the MOST proven players. Just ask P. Manning and T. Brady. Jackson is one of the only players in the league who hasn't figured that out, and I think that should be a warning sign in itself.

His three Game suspension for this year also limits his potential ability to contribute this season. If we trade for him now, he would only have a short time to learn our system. Considering that our west coast offense is considerably different to the system Norv Turner runs in SD, that is no easy feat. He then would have to serve the suspension. During which time he would not be permitted to practice with the team. It would likely take yet a few more weeks into the season to get comfortable in the offense, and to develop a rapport and good timing with McNabb.

The likelyhood of a lockout next season is large. This would make for two consecutive seasons where Jackson would not be playng for a full 16 games. This makes his salary demands even more unpalatable.

Also, Jackson is only one off field mistake away from a long term suspension.

To me, these costs and risks put his value in serious question. I say don't take the gamble. Give the young guys we have the chance to show that they deserve to be NFL players. If that doesn't work out, there is a good chance that we could land Jackson as a free agent next year WITHOUT having to give up any draft picks.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 20, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 11:27 AM

Alpha Dog is one of my favorite movies for all the upper class stupidity that led to that boys death...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Did you bring enough Kool Aid for the rest of us?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 11:34 AM

All I'm saying is that, right now, the Skins are undefeated ... pay no attention to the other 31 undefeated teams.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

But with Dock's age, left guard is an immediate issue.............

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 11:28 AM

Dockery is only 29 years old...How is this an immediate issue?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Skins don't need to burn the roster spot for Vince Jackson's suspension. I'm AOK find to ride the Joey Galloway train (who, by the way, is most recently of the New England Patriots) till Devin Thomas gets himself right.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"Larry Johnson has found a new home with the Redskins"

"Dockery's age? He's 29 with no injury history."

And if you draft a young guard to groom behind him for two seasons, that player replaces a 31 year old starter.

Why is that a bad idea?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure which 3-4 is being installed yet, but its not New England's.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:38 AM
------------------------------------------
Roll back the clock to the 49ers when Steve Young was quarterback. That's the offense.

The 3-4 is Pittsburgh's version - latter day, not present day. Think back to the Rod Woodson days. Imagine Carlos Rogers is Woodson. Imagine Lorenzo Alexander is Levon Kirkland.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Anyone ever wonder what, exactly, the Patriot offense is? I hate the Patriots because their bandwagon has a permanent loading station here in Connecticut, but their offense has always been about execution.

They execute screens with the best in the league. They go deep with the best in the league. They go play action with the best in the league. They dink n dunk with the best in the league. They run power with the best in the league. A lot of attention is paid to the defense, but Belichick is a smart cookie when it comes to game planning his offense.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Dockery is not the week link ... the weak link is the need to rely on Brown/Heyer/Hicks/whoever at right tackle. Right guard also seems like its being filled on a placeholder basis.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Can't really make that argument against the City here, brandon... s'legal here now, too.

Speaking of, anyone know how to get a grower's permit?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Why is that a bad idea?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse
-------------------

We need a center first, but fine

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Why is that a bad idea?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 11:46 AM |

Amen Moe.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

And why is Vincent Jackson still being discussed as if is going to join this team.

Vincent Jackson will not be walking through dem doors anytime soon.....On to the Next One...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

2 bookend tackles, good start on oline rebuild

New franchise qb, finally a play maker, sorry campbell didn't cut it

Return game has 2 options now, banks n austin, either r better than ARE

Orakpo gonna go at the QB twice as much as last year

In one year I think these changes could result in 4 or 5 more wins....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

doctor report to the ER we have a kool-aid overdose

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Well 31 is not really old for a lineman in my book, especially for a rock like Dockery who I believe hasn't missed a game due to injury in his career. Just saying it's a little premature to be calling for a lineman's replacement 2 years before he turns 31 when many linemen routinely play until they're 33+ years-old. There are several other needs on the roster that I see as opposed to worrying about Dockery.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"Judging from the comments, some of you are concerned that Shanahan's first training camp was too easy. Well, Shanahan had a lot of success in Denver doing things his way, so let's just see how things develop this season."

Shanahan was successful offensively. Defensively, not so much. They don't practice tackling, and I thought it showed against Buffalo. We'll see if they improve this week.

Posted by: joedavis7 | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Another obvious reason to keep re-loading O and D linemen are that the G-Men and the Cowfagggs now have a couple of the older lines in the league. They will see the same movie the 'Skins saw for the last several years regarding 'patchwork' lines.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Why is that a bad idea?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 11:46 AM

I wonder when it is when we find out whether Chad Rinehart was a bad idea. If he wasn't a bad idea, then maybe guard is a lower priority.

Also, RSH, that makes sense ... both the Steve Young bit (but do you think that was a RB-reliant offense?) and the 3-4 that Haslett worked on in Pittsburgh ... I don't remember so much about the Rams' 3-4 under Haslett ... I was at an age (Dominican Republic) when my short term memory wasn't so good.

Posted by: dcsween | August 20, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Imagine Carlos Rogers is Woodson. Imagine Lorenzo Alexander is Levon Kirkland.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 11:46 AM

That doesn't work...I imagine my wife is Halle Berry and...well, it doesn't work.

Seriously though...sween, what makes you think Shanahan is gonna try and run the Belichick offense? The team we have doesn't fit that mold even a little bit. The only way this McNabb deal works is if it's in the Shanahan style WCO. Anything else is repeating the mistakes of other Redskins coaches the last decade...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

2 bookend tackles, a rookie and a DNP last year who's hurt

a franchise QB who's past his prime and on a one-year contract

light a fire under CP, who has been one of the only consistent performers on this team last 5 years

2-totally unproven options in the return game who may both be cut

orakpo will go at QB twice as much? While Carter drops back in coverage.

All other teams should just forfeit give us the trophy forget actually playing a single game

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM

And how many NFL teams have you GM'd? Not including Madden Franchise......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"For those that don't get that, see Chad Rein-fart. A 3rd rounder who you'd think would be a starter by now and is sucking major elephant p*nis."

Select the Vinny Cerrato leftover who won't be a redskin come Sept. 12th:

a. Malcolm Kelly

b. Chad Rhinehart

c. Devin Thomas

d. Colt Brennen (ooops, gone already)

e. Robert Henson

f. ????

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 11:51 AM

If not VJ, then Randy Moss next year in FA. Personally, I'd rather have VJ...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If last year's defense preached "bend but don't break", then what is this year's defense preaching? "break but get fawking turnovers"?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of, anyone know how to get a grower's permit?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 11:48 AM

If I read correctly, you have to get certified, go through a background check and prove that you will grow properly, whatever the hell that means. I am looking into it here in NC, cuz they are about to the same, the wait list for growers in NC is like 2500 long, so I am sure in DC it is pretty long too.

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 20, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you build a winning NFL team from the inside out....not the other way around.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM"

This is something I agree with 100%.

Last offseason we added Derrick Dockery.

This offseason we added Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown.

It's now time to start adding playmakers at the skill positions. I hope DT can become that guy for us, but if he's not, then this team needs serious work at that spot. Moss is the only proven guy we have there, and he's older and more injury prone than Dockery. And that's not mentioning our RB position, where we'll be lucky to get another 2 years out of Portis or Johnson (and that's stretching it). That's my stance.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

beeps...AH update

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

beeps...AH update

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

On the least favorite Redskin issue, it took me several years to warm up to Joey T because Billy Kilmer was my favorite player and he got benched for Theismann. On top of that, in those first couple of seasons, it seemed like Theismann was always doing something stupid at the absolute worst moment to lose the game. But he is not my least favorite. That would have to Jeff George. If he is considered a one hit wonder and does not count, then Rod Gardner. What a waste of a first round pick that guy was.

Posted by: manlius1 | August 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

WHO SHOULD WE GRAB UP NEXT YR????

NAMES OR POSITIONS....

NEEDS....... WR/ DL/LB/ CB/ C/ RB

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 11:15 AM

- Gonna need some new RB's. Portis and Johnson are approaching the end.
- WR, Tana isn't getting younger. Need at least one more big guy possession type as well.
- Future QB (?)
- MLB
- Safety
- Center
- and probably OT & G if just for depth

And that's before we see how we play this year...

Posted by: edvar | August 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

wow I agree with most of those needs!!

I will break down how the needs will be filled IMO

Drafted positions
Lb, pass rusher to go opposite rakpo
Ot, we need more youth here, heyer is what's called a stopgap
Nt/de, if kemo lasts 2 yrs that's a bonus, we need youth on d line
Wr/rb, someone that can be used like dex mcCluster will this yr, offensive weapon

I hope this year in the draft we can be agressive and move up to grab guys we want. Last year, no thanks to previous FO mishandlings, we needed to grab more picks

Free agency
Wr, I will beg for jackson until we sign him
Cb, maybe even resign rogers22 if he snags an int or two this yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Jackson is probably thinking right now, "I wish I could get on a legitimate super bowl contender like the Redskins. I've had enough of these San Diego bums

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Here's one scamp. I've never been myself.

Posted by: mack1 | August 20, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 20, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM

And how many NFL teams have you GM'd? Not including Madden Franchise......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:01 PM |

Dude, don't be a dumb spear-chucker. You know exactly what I meant you loser.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 11:55 AM

And how many NFL teams have you GM'd? Not including Madden Franchise......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 12:01 PM |

Dude, don't be a dumb spear-chucker. You know exactly what I meant you loser.

I'm not a pilot either but I know a crappy landing when I feel one, ya dig?

You're a freaking tool and you don't even realize how retarded you look in here do you?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse