Darrel Young adjusting to new position

As Darrel Young walked into the linebacker meeting room on the first day of Redskins training camp, he was greeted with words you probably never want to hear as a second-year player fighting for a spot on the roster.

"Who are you?" a chuckling Young recalled a coach asking him. "I was like, 'I'm Darrel Young.' He was like 'Uhhh' and they put me on the depth chart."

One hour later, Young learned why he hadn't been on the chart when he was summoned to Coach Mike Shanahan's office. Shanahan informed Young that he had been moved from linebacker to fullback. With a number of linebackers on the roster but few players challenging for a spot behind starter Mike Sellers, Shanahan said the team felt the 5-foot-11, 246-pound Young would be able to make the transition and provide competition.

"Just the way he hit, we needed some fullbacks and we thought since he had good hands he might be the ideal candidate," Shanahan said. "And he wasn't afraid to hit a linebacker and I think it was a good transition for him."

The position wasn't completely foreign to Young, who was recruited to Villanova as a running back before he was moved to linebacker. He also had been a part of some goal line packages for the Wildcats - though never in a live game situation.

Young knew the transition would be difficult at the professional level but said he embraced the move because "it's just an opportunity to play."

"It's the same in terms of hitting and stuff; a little different approach in terms of angles," Young said. "But football is football, hitting is hitting. [I am] just trying to understand the concepts now. Not being on offense in a long time, it's just a different approach to the game."

Young saw extended playing time and turned in a solid performance in the Redskins' preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills, though his only stat was one catch for minus-two yards.

"He got a chance to play quite a bit and I thought he did a good job for a guy that hasn't played a lot of fullback in his career," Shanahan said. "I thought he gave a lot of effort and I think he grew as a football player."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 16, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas is staying optimistic
Next: Malcolm Kelly's chances Saturday: 'very, very slim'

Comments

I was at the game....

This one bama MoFo was hating on DHall for the 1st couple of drives...I turned around and looked at him once or twice...

..Then DHall grabbed that INT right in front of us and I turned around him like "What now?!?" and we was laughing it up afterwards......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Brown, For some reason I thought Williams and Wade were older.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Funny stuff, 4th. Whoever that was hating on DHall needs to get on board because he's the only playmaker we've got at corner this year. I'll be shocked if he gets anything less than 5 picks this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Repost: Got in after the Beeps.

Too many people up here forget about Roydell Williams. I'm convinced he will be our #2 WR, #3 at worst. He proved in Tenn. that he can be a very good WR, and is at an age when he should be in the prime of his career. He has done nothing but impress in practice, and looked good in the game.

Things definately don't look good for Kelly. In order to make the team, he would have to prove that he is WAY better than some of the other guys. I can't picture him doing that. If it is any kind of close call, I don't think the coaches would chose to keep the oft-injured Kelly over someone who has been consistently healthy.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 16, 2010 11:08 AM

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Brown, For some reason I thought Williams and Wade were older.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Because you're not used to the Redskins signing anyone under 35.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

practice squad

Posted by: shanafan | August 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

O_e,
Could be why.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

__________

Am I missing something, or did RI forget about Mike Sellers?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Rookie tight end/fullback Dennis Morris, who has been working mostly with the tight ends, is the only other fullback on the current roster. So Young should have a good opportunity to earn a spot on the team."

HUH? There's this Mike Sellers guy ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 16, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Am I missing something, or did RI forget about Mike Sellers?

______________

Never mind, I'm an idiot, they mentioned Sellers above. It's just a poorly worded sentence.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Dhalls inability to tackle contributed greatly to some of our loses. We need a lot better consistency out of everyone in our secondary, even more so now that were running a 3-4.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

__________

Am I missing something, or did RI forget about Mike Sellers?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I see the team keeping 4 guys for the TE/FB rolls which obviously leaves 1 opening with Sellers as your lead FB and Cooley Davis at the 1/2 H-Back TE spots.

I would love for the skins to have a guy who can be a stud blocking TE/OL type, but not clear if anyone on the roster fits that discription.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

practice squad

Posted by: shanafan | August 16, 2010 11:14 AM

============================

maybe not...this guy can block and since he was a LB he can tackle...special teams

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 16, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

there will be 1 FB on the roster -- possibly another on the practice squad.

Always thought the place to look for a FB is division 2 and 3. Find a mobile guard who is undersized by NFL standards (maybe 260lbs), but keeps knocking people around.

There are probably a bunch of these guys, one of them is going to have good enough hands to become a FB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Brown, For some reason I thought Williams and Wade were older.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Williams is not that old.

Wade feels older because he's been cut from 4 teams in his career already...can he go for the 5-peat??

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Zcezcest,

I like the way your thinking. Though personally I think you may want to look at Mid Major schools too. Maybe any school that is running a Flex or Option offence, that is likely to have that bigger RB who's used to a complex scheme.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I guess Lee Vickers is just a regular old TE.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I am with kaasmaster! Don't sleep on Roydell!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 16, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I usually look at Dan Le Batard as Le Retard, but he's pretty spot on with this column about the sports media today:

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 16, 2010 11:21 AM
----------------------------------------

Yes..DHall has to work on his individual tackling..both close in and in open space..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 16, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps this is premature after one preseason game but here's my prediction of final roster:

QB = 2

P = 1
Bidwell

K = 1
Gano

LS = 1
Dearth

Total = 53 - my only major surprises but IMO not really at this point, Tryon and Kelly cut. I also think Parker is gone next week.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 16, 2010 11:21 AM

We lost alot of games last year for alot of reasons.

Hall's tackling is not that high up on the list.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

oh, and I think they stash Bartell on the psquad in case McNabb gets hurt.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

practice squad

Posted by: shanafan | August 16, 2010 11:14 AM

The Skins have a luxury in that both Sellers and Cooly can fill the H-back/TE role. Also CP and LJ are comfortable w/o a lead back, so the team could carry Sellers as 1st team FB, 3rd team TE and have Young as Sellers back up a FB.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2
Personally I see them keeping 8 LB's and 7 DL's but considering the versatility of so many of those guys who knows. Heres what I had for my roster

QB 2
SS 2
K 1
P 1
LS 1
PR/KR 1

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

in case McNabb gets hurt.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 11:45 AM |
--------------------------------
dont say that

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 16, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

in case McNabb gets hurt.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 11:45 AM |
--------------------------------
dont say that

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 16, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

sorry....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think willie will get cut, but not that soon. My understanding is that they are taking turns playing preseason with the first team.

That means Willie starts the 3rd preseason game.......he gets cut after that

Posted by: rupertpupkin | August 16, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Considering Dennis Morris is a beast I wouldn't say he's got a GOOD opportunity, but it is a chance.

Posted by: Keiser | August 16, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Once a 38 year old dude is outplaying you at a speed/skill position, you're done."

This makes Hugh Hefner a god as he's way over 38, and is out playing with babes I can't even get on the field with.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

That means Willie starts the 3rd preseason game.......he gets cut after that

Posted by: rupertpupkin | August 16, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

IMO, that's a bunch of BS right now.....you don't start a guy scrapping for a roster spot in the 3rd preseason game where you really want an extended look at your 1s. I could be wrong but I think they are hoping some injuries happen on other rosters and they can ship him somewhere for a late round draft pick this week otherwise he's gone during first cuts. Torrain and Williams are younger and looked great.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2

Whereas I agree with the roster you posted, I still say we need another dynamic linebacker and vet offensive tackle.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Why do i have the feeling that Devin Thomas will soon be jreids Leigh Torrence?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 16, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think SHanahan plans to rest Portis, really wants to see what he has in Willey and Larry... And those young guys look pretty good if they slip up.

Question is can Parker Block? Can Johnson? That may be the deciding factor here I think.

Posted by: Veretax | August 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse