Hitting intensifies as training camp nears its end

The Redskins postponed practice until Wednesday afternoon because of rain, completing their work in a steady shower at Redskins Park.

The field conditions were less than ideal during the almost two-hour session, but Coach Mike Shanahan and his assistants made due while continuing to prepare for Saturday's preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field.

The team would prefer to have an indoor practice facility, but "I think it worked out all right," Shanahan said. "I'm glad it [the rain] slowed down a little bit. We were able to get a good workout. They had the fields covered, so we got a good workout in. I think everybody would like an indoor facility if possible. But we don't have one, so you deal with the elements."

With training camp ending Thursday, hitting seemed to intensify. Outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander gave fullback Mike Sellers a shot in the back while breaking up a pass play.

"You see what Zo did to me?" Sellers said, jokingly. "It'll be all right."

Said Shanahan: "They got a little bit enthusiastic there at the end. It was a good practice. Good tempo."

No. 2 tight end Fred Davis was about an hour late to practice for "personal" reasons, Shanahan said, but he "still got a good workout in." Davis was satisfied with the time he was on the field. "I ran with the ones and the twos," Davis said. "I got in there a little."

Nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu (left shoulder soreness) and defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth (heat exhaustion) sat out practice. "I'll be ready tomorrow and ready for the game," Kemoateu said. "They just gave me a day off just to chill."

Haynesworth was sidelined for the second time in as many days. On Tuesday, Shanahan said he did not think the heat was Haynesworth's problem, but a team trainer informed him otherwise.

"Albert was the same thing. It was heat related and he wasn't able to go," Shanahan said. "I didn't think it was 'cause he was only out there for 10 minutes.

"Talking to our trainer, he said he was dehydrated and it was heat related. I didn't think that would be that possible that quick, but I guess it was from the previous day that he had those symptoms."

By Jason Reid and Rick Maese  |  August 18, 2010; 6:26 PM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams faces reckless driving charge
Next: Court appearance kept Fred Davis from practice

Comments

o wow

Posted by: MajorFacemask | August 18, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Getting a little spunky towards the end of camp is ok. Let's stay away from the injury bug.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 18, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I thought the headline read "Sh!tting intensifies as training camp nears its end" and thought the post was gonna be about Fat Albert and his most recent trips to the bathroom after running the conditioning test.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.

This place would be a ghost town if they actually did that.

I mean, who uses multiple 'signatures' and handles?:

gimmiesummoe: You need to stop making folks think you're me.

I make the funny posts, you get the credit.

mistamoe: Look, homie, you're just a creation of coffee, boredom, and my imagination.

I told you one day I'd let you run things.

However, this just is not your day.

And tommorrow ain't looking too hot, either.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Our first 8 games, and that's the easy part of the schedule

Sep 12 Dallas 8:20pm
Sep 19 Houston 4:15pm
Sep 26 @St. Louis 4:05pm
Oct 3 @Philadelphia 4:15pm
Oct 10 Green Bay 1:00pm
Oct 17 Indianapolis 8:20pm
Oct 24 @Chicago 1:00pm
Oct 31 @Detroit 1:00pm

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 18, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

ah, Mikey, you're chicken sheet. You sit here on RI and wink at them. If you liked bashing them, you'd go on their blog and bash them.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 6:30 PM
----

Blah blah blah.

Hopefully one day you get your comeuppance and someone leaves and upper-decker in your house.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of Fat Albert not being prepared to do his job and to earn his money. The dehydration issue is HIS FAULT for not being a professional and to undertake precautions. This POS needs to go.

Posted by: laserwizard | August 18, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

not happy with TW going 90+mph. Think the cop gave him a break.

Still, the guy hadn't signed a contract and was driving a Porsche. Not sure how big hos bank act was coming out of college ... but I'm guessing it wasn't Porsche-worthy.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Of course because why expect these men to be responsible for their own actions?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 18, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, every bank and their mother come to these rookies with huge loan deals before ever signing a contract because the banks know they're good for it. Can't help but get a lil' Vinny bug eyes when banks are clamoring for your business.

Posted by: visionof75 | August 18, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 6:50 PM |

Eeewwwww! Groddy to the max!

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Of course because why expect these men to be responsible for their own actions?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

If I had the kind of $$ these guys are getting at 22 years old ... I'd have also probably blown away a ton of it, if not all of it.

You need people helping you to be smart about how to handle your money when you're young and got lots of $$. Getting Porsche before signing a contract doesn't sound smart to me.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

It would be a sad day in redskin nation if the skins cut Kelly and he ends up in Minn with Marko Mitchell and they become the best WR tandum in the NFL

Posted by: kingpenn1 | August 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

not happy with TW going 90+mph. Think the cop gave him a break.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse
============================================
He got a nice line of credit. He was a projected 1st rounder so banks, dealerships, and mortgage brokers extend prospects like TW large amounts of money.

Posted by: clark202 | August 18, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202

no doubt they do. everyone wants a piece of a guy whose got $$. Just saying that its not a good thing ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | August 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

sssssssiiiiiiiipppp-*SNORT* OW! uhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh MAN that was good! uha uhaha uhAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No, really, man, that was hysterical... thank you... *sniff*... hee hee.... BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

It's more of a Redskin then those others...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 3:43 PM |

You need to be schooled on the difference between then and than

than: Your IQ is lower than that of a rock.

then: After MistaMoe packed your fudge for you then you suked my dik.

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2010 4:06 PM |

Hey there tube full of balls how's this? If you think you are better THAN others because you are the self appointed blog grammar cop THEN you are really just a triffling d- bag.

So here's one for you. Groddy is not what you meant to spell, to get a long O sound there must be an e in there ie. grodey. Your a phukin' tool.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld | August 18, 2010 7:43 PM

co-sign

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ Jason Reid thinking it's spelled "made due" wtf

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | August 18, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait... YOU'RE a phukin tool.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Wahh it's raining so we can't have a real practice. What are they going to do during a game when it's raining at FedEx? Gibbs actually liked practicing in the rain what's this cr*p with Shanny whining about the rain?

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | August 18, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ Jason Reid thinking it's spelled "made due" wtf

Posted by: cali_snowboarder

as Poopy would correct it: its made doo-doo

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Grammatical nit picking intensifies as training camp nears its end

Posted by: mack1 | August 18, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 6:50 PM

LOL. You're the guy whose killer post is "I just pooped. Someone wipe me please."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Colombo and Kosier could be out for the rest of the preseason now, though they'll probably be back for 9/12.

That reminds me, need to give Lichtensteiger the full 2nd and 3rd quarters at center on Sat.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 18, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2010 7:43 PM
==============

ahhhhhhh....bless you, i guess??????????????????????????????????

Posted by: kingpenn1 | August 18, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

"I know its kind of a dirty little secret that money rolls to guys like TW BEFORE they sign a contract ... but it sort of teaches these guys to be irresponsible with their $$. Given how often these guys go bankrupt ... its not a trivial issue"Posted by: zcezcest1"

I didn't know there was much secret about it. For most star-level players, an advance against future contract earnings is part of the agent-player relationship. An acknowledgment that the $$ are on the way but the negotiation will invariably take time.

As far as promoting irresponsibility with money, I don't see it. Many players are already hopelessly illiterate with finance, which is why Joe Gibbs did that seminar this spring.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 18, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"No. 2 tight end Fred Davis was about an hour late to practice for "personal" reasons."

Translation: he overslept. Again.

Posted by: info42 | August 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Good grammer is nice, but this is a freakin' sports blog for cryin' out loud! It's not English 101. Who cares if people make the occasional (or frequent) slip-up, as long as they get their point across. If you want to be a grammer cop, go tutor at your local elementary school.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Translation: he overslept. Again.

Posted by: info42

Did he leave money on your dresser when he left?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:09 PM

Like you, I hate grammar cops. By the way, you misspelled grammar. Twice. Also you left out a question mark.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

If you want to be a grammer cop, go tutor at your local elementary school.
Posted by: kaasmaster

GrammAr

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching a replay of the Cowgirls/Raiders preseason game, and I can tell you with certainty that Jason Campbell still sucks. Not that I had any doubts, but if I did, he's removed them.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"If only Albert spent the offseason someplace where he could train in heat and humidity to be better prepared for late-summer Virginia weather."

Sounds like a plan.

Maybe next offseason, he should hangout only those strip clubs that lack air conditioning and ceiling fans.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 18, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:19 PM

I be Thankin' yous. I gonna be tryin to be doin more beeter in the futures. You're help been apricitated.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmesummoe

Nothing worse than a sweaty stripper. Her glitter sticks to everything. You pretty much have to go through a car wash to get her scent off of you...so I hear.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:27 PM

I've found that it's best to blog in Firefox. There's a spell checker. I may still sound like an idiot, but all my words are spelled correctly.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

So I read the TW ticket thing in that other section. I had to laugh at MYSELF. I am completely clueless to the population of people that actually dont know/care/ are aware of/etc. Sports???? I mean, I think sports fans may be in the minority? And I hear the guys that do the dance show say they are REALLY well known now? Blows my mind...

Posted by: Club320 | August 18, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The grammar blog cop has been a running joke up here for years. They are the bottom rung of the blog heirarchy as they have to find a way to feel superior without having an actual contribution of humor, fact, or anything else of relevance to add. Spelling cop is right up there too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2010 9:29 PM |

Too bad RedDMV's not up here right now. I'm sure he would have something to add to this.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:27 PM

When did Clinton Portis join the blog?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:29 PM

Does it do Grammar checking too? Spell checking doesn't help in those than/then, your/you're, their/there/they're situations.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

scamp went to a University where spelling and grammar were optional.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:19 PM
--------

Maybe he was talking about Kelsey Grammer you insensitive clod. How much does one get paid for being the spell-checker on a websites blog?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Excerpt:

DL Darrion Scott. He was on the list Tuesday as well and now it’s time to see him against the starters. Can he still help? He’s starting to really control the backups. He stunted to the right and got through G Edwin Williams. He moved Chad Rinehart back on another play; drove Will Mongtomery back and wasn’t fooled at all by a bootleg to force an incompletion. Oh, and he beat Rinehart to the edge on another play.

-----------------------------------------

Could Scott mark the end of Jarmon?

Posted by: TWISI | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

How much does one get paid for being the spell-checker on a websites blog?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM |

More than you get paid for soiling yourself in public everyday.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

scamp went to a University where spelling and grammar were optional.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM |

Damn straight. Math sure wasn't though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I gotta play grammar-police on an internet blog because it's the only way I can ever assert any authority over anyone.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Club320 | August 18, 2010 9:32 PM

Dancing with the Stars is the only reson my mom knows anything about Emmit Smith, Jason Taylor, and Warren Sapp. She was realy confused why someone would name their child Ocho Cinco. I had to explain that his real name is Chad Johnson, and that 85 is the number on his jersey.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

How much does one get paid for being the spell-checker on a websites blog?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM |

More than you get paid for soiling yourself in public everyday.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 9:42 PM

Actually I think it's exactly the same.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

You'd be surprised what people will pay to watch a nice poo-in-pants over the interweb.

Baby made a boom-boom.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"Nothing worse than a sweaty stripper."

Isn't it funny how they can be sweaty and oily and funky and greasy, but money sticks to their hands like it's been glued there?

The only thing with better suction than a greedy stripper is an octopus on steriods.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 18, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 18, 2010 9:51 PM

Poopy's got a point. I used to have a roomate who worked at an "adult toy shop". She used to tell me about some of the weird sex fetishes of the customers there.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 18, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2010 6:56 PM |

Potential draft picks are advanced lines of credit based on their future earning potential. It's not a secret.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Doh!!!

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2010 9:58 PM

It's exactly how financial markets are supposed to work.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 18, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Could Scott mark the end of Jarmon?"

Thanks for shining a lil light on the obvious, but unseen.

I wasn't a fan of the Jarmon pick, and I'm wondering when he, like MK, delivers on his high round promise.

Too, the skins really have been done wrong by a couple guys drafted in rounds 2, 3 (Rhinehart, Kelly, Thomas, Jarmon) who haven't delivered either because of injury or ineffectiveness.

NFL 2nd/3rd rounders in years 2 and 3 should be solid starters, not guys whose careers are underscored with woulda, coulda, shoulda, and injury-bug.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 18, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"..scamp went to a University where spelling and grammar were optional.."

I knew nothing when I went to college.

Once I left, I knew even less.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 18, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Could Scott mark the end of Jarmon?"

Thanks for shining a lil light on the obvious, but unseen.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 18, 2010 10:06 PM |

Personally I think you're being a litlle harsh on ol' Jarmon there. He was a supplementary draft pick that cost this years third. They originally said he wasn't even gonna play last year but he looked good enough that he made it to the field. This is his second year and he's kinda changed position (4-3 DE to 3-4 DE). We haven't even seen him play in year 2 yet. I am typically a fan of waiting at least 2 years before pulling the trigger on someone unless they are absolutely terrible in year 1. That's the reason I'm wondering why Tryon ever made it out of his rookie training camp.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Could Scott mark the end of Jarmon?

Posted by: TWISI | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM
------------------------------------------
For a young guy who is coming off injury and changing from a 4-3 end to a 3-4 end, I think Jarmon has done a good job; however, I admit it is starting to look a little crowded at end. My belief is Jarmon is safe, though. Scott may bump someone else on the roster, though.

I wish we were as stacked at nose tackle. Those two fat slobs behind Kemo aren't much. We might find they start kicking the tires of a few other nose tackles as the preseason rolls along.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"Personally I think you're being a litlle harsh on ol' Jarmon there."

I'm not harsh on Jarmon, just the decision to burn a 3rd round pick to acquire a player who wasn't going to play his final college year due to suspension.

If the guy was a standout player, scheme change or not, Haslett would have him suited up in the starting rotation.

At the time, though, I felt Vinny could've waited out the Supplemental draft, and taken Jarmon at a much lower round in the 2010 draft.

And if he was gone, oh well, maybe you use your 3rd rounder and other consideration to draft a guy like T Cody to play d-tackle for you like the ravens did in round 2.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 18, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not down on Jarmon. It's just hard to make a position change coming off an injury. Jarmon holds an advantage over say Holliday and Scott in that he should be able to play on special teams. Five of maybe 6 or 7 DL position are known so the last guy (s) may have to bring it on special teams.

Posted by: TWISI | August 18, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Why hasn't Dan built an indoor facility at Redskins Park?

Posted by: RockingBurgundy | August 18, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | August 18, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"(And some of our recent 1st rounders: JC, LL, and CR haven't been world beaters, either.)"
-------------------------------------------
Well JC put up better stats than McNabb did last year with one over the hill receiver,no running game and no O Line...

Posted by: petebowling1 | August 19, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Aren't there any unused military hangers in the area? Or any private indoor sports facilities, even if setup for soccer?

Posted by: bigbassdrum | August 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

heat related due to the burgers burning is his big belly

Posted by: kone | August 19, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Could Scott mark the end of Jarmon?

Posted by: TWISI | August 18, 2010 9:40 PM

Interesting how all the "Studs" are on the defensive side and ALL the "Duds" are on the offense.....

Posted by: byThorbyOdin | August 19, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse