Logan Paulsen survived cut day -- barely

The day that NFL teams make their roster cuts each year is always filled with highs and lows for players on the bubble. But it's usually only one or the other. Redskins' tight end
Logan Paulsen had the opportunity to feel both last Saturday, as Washington team officials tinkered with their roster throughout the day, ultimately changing their minds on how Paulsen fit into their plans.

On Saturday morning, Paulsen's agent called him and warned that he'd likely be released. Sure enough, an hour later, Paulsen, a rookie out of UCLA, got the call from the team. He was told when the team submitted its cuts to the league office later that day, his name would be on their list. But, he was told, the Redskins would try to add him to the practice squad the next day.

"I was a little disappointed, but at the same time, I kind of expected it," Paulsen said. "We have two great tight ends here in Fred [Davis] and Chris [Cooley] and a guy like Mike Sellers who can also play it. So having me seemed like it could be viewed as a luxury."

Paulsen called his family and his girlfriend and word began to spread to everyone he knew that the Redskins had released him. "They were like, 'Oh well, it's OK, don't worry about it,'" he said. "They told all of their friends, and it just kind of spread."

Meanwhile, the Redskins took the practice field on Saturday afternoon without Paulsen and the other players who were released. Among the players at practice was offensive lineman Chad Rinehart, the team's third-round draft pick in 2008. Coaches must have seen something because by the end of practice, Rinehart was no longer in the team's plans and Washington General Manager Bruce Allen was on the phone with Paulsen.

"He said, 'We're going to activate you,'" said Paulsen. "At first, I didn't really believe it, so I had my agent call, check in on everything."

Then Paulsen made a second round of phone calls, this time sharing the good news with the same people who'd tried to cheer him up earlier in the day. "It felt pretty good," he said.

Paulsen, who's listed at 6-foot-5, 268 pounds, joined the Redskins as an undrafted rookie free agent in April. He was one of six tight ends to go through the team's offseason workouts and one of five to enter training camp. Now he'll be one of only three to begin the regular season.

"He's an all-around good guy," says Davis. "He knows everything we're doing, which is good. He's like a veteran, but he's really only a rookie. You know you can depend on him at the end of the day."

Paulsen knows he'll be used primarily as a blocker, but he's willing to do "whatever they want me to do."

"I'm just happy to still be here," he said.

By Rick Maese  |  September 7, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  offseason workouts , training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan denies any wrongdoing in trades
Next: Redskins Insider Live: LaVar Arrington, Rick Maese, Dan Steinberg talk Redskins-Cowboys this morning

Comments

First.

Makes you wonder what Rinehart did or didn't do in that Saturday practice... maybe tomorrow morning's post can be an exclusive interview with him to see what went wrong and see these "emotions" in reverse order.

I smell Pulitzer.

Posted by: snoopylad | September 7, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

WOW, Everyone's still asleep this late on DALLAS WEEK?

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 7, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

haven't slept a wink! got field passes for sunday night....i've got butterflies already.

i pray to the football gods that we can beat dallas. i've waited my whole life for the skins to be good, and i've got a good feeling about this head coach and GM. hail!

Posted by: leedisantis | September 7, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Who the f*ck is Logan Paulsen?

Seriously though...we're mere hours away from the official start of the season so I think it's time for us to get on record.

Skins go 8-8 this year...out to a slow start from all the changes, but we'll hit our stride in full come December. We miss out on the playoffs by virtue of losing tie-breakers with New Orleans.

I've got the Packers vs. the Bengals in the Super Bowl with the Pack winning big. Aaron Rodgers gets fined $50,000 for staring into the camera and giving Brett Favre the middle finger as he accepts his SB MVP trophy.

MVP: Aaron Rodgers
OPOY: Rodgers
DPOY: Brian Orakpo
OROY: Ryan Mathews
DROY: Ndamakong Suh

You heard it here first, people...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Nick Giaquinta 2.0

Posted by: MPNangle | September 7, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Why is it the WaPo has Tom Brady in the add at the top of the page and not a Redskin player ? The adds been up for a week now. This sucks if you ask me.

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Hess is still asleep, ads, not adds.

brown

I just told my son yesterday that the Packers and the Bengals will be in the SB and the Packers will win it all. Hope we're right. Sonny boy picked last years SB on the money and hasn't let the old man forget about it.

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Hessone change your name to ASSone...

Posted by: BarackObama | September 7, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Is Paulson the ponytail guy? Every team needs a ponytail guy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 7, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Good call hess...I got it half right last year, picked the Saints to go 13-3 and go to the SB but I had them losing to Pittsburgh. Not bad but not great either...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Is Paulson the ponytail guy? Every team needs a ponytail guy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 7, 2010 7:15 AM

He is indeed. And that's why he made the team. Oh, and because Rinehart was terrible. No need for a third string OL that won't play when you can have a regular special teams player and blocking TE.

Posted by: Section104 | September 7, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Paulson is a solid player and Rhino was not. It you want to start creating a culture of excellence you get rid of marginal players without upside (3 years invested) and utilize the best players at your disposal---obviously, to the degree possible. And we can use a bllocking TE. Odd we can't seem to find a depth pick-up for the O-line though. Poor kid's going to get moved off as soon as we do.

Posted by: Cookie4 | September 7, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Is Paulson the ponytail guy? Every team needs a ponytail guy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 7, 2010 7:15 AM

Maybe...more like you have to have at least one Samoan player to have a shot at a title. That's why I like our chances this year...getting Kemo gives us our first Samoan since Joe Salave'a was let go.

Nothing like a little superstition first thing in the morning...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

@BarackObama

Using the Presidents name as a handle, how creative.

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I can remember reading after the draft that Rhinehart was reach, and that he would have been available two or three rounds later. At the time I tried to put it down to the media bias against the front office. As Snyderato had a unique ability to piss off journalists. I kept on hoping he would live up to his 3rd round pick, but he never progressed beyond liability and we've got Will Montgomery who can fill that role.

I liked Paulsen during pre-season, though I wish he'd cut his hair. I hoped that he would make the roster but I am really worried about O-Line depth. Heyer makes a decent back-up but it is scary that he is the best back-up we have got by a large margin.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | September 7, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

"Makes you wonder what Rinehart did or didn't do in that Saturday practice..."

What did Rhinehart do?

He showed up and they remembered who he was.

He was even more recognizable as the practice field was empty of faceless camp fodder types who, as of now, are already lining up at the local UPS looking for work.

'Cuz they, like C Rhinehart, won't find a job or should even have one in the NFL.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 7, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

A few items from Keim over at the Examiner:

-Perhaps the best moment for Redskins fullback Darrel Young came a couple hours after he learned that he’d made the roster. That’s when he talked to his brother, David, a sergeant stationed in Afghanistan.
His brother, in his first tour of duty in Afghanistan, called him early Saturday morning. But Young had not yet heard. So David Young called back at 6 p.m.
“He said I’m proud of you and I was like, ‘I’m more proud of you,’ “ Darrel Young said. “It was special man. I feel like he understands how hard I worked to be here. It was a special moment… I was smiling all day.”

-Gotta like Anthony Armstrong’s attitude after finding out he made the roster.
“I’ve been eerily calm,” he said. “I really haven’t exploded like I thought I would. I just rolled with it and I’m still here ready to work and get better, like I have something to prove still. I don’t feel like I’ve arrived. I feel I still have work to do.”

I remember talking to Brian Mitchell about his attitude back in the day. One thing always stuck with me; he said he didn’t celebrate getting drafted. He knew he still had to go out and prove something. He played that way until he retired. Maybe Armstrong has a touch of that attitude, too.

-Shanahan said this about Keiland Williams and why he made the roster, “He’s good on blitz pickups and he can run the ball, he can catch the ball. He’s a heady kid. Very few times you find a guy that young that comes in and plays that well consistently in practice and in games.”

-Shanahan on if he understands the importance of the Dallas game: “Anytime you play a team in the division it’s always a big game. You got the great rivalries within divisions. I know how big a game this is. It’s something you look forward to.”

At least he didn’t try to compare it to Oakland vs. Seattle.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

@BarackObama

Using the Presidents name as a handle, how creative.

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 7:32 AM

Most creative thing up here was the guy who used to post Snyder as $nyder. That was hot.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 7, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
The Bengals? To the Super Bowl? Really??? You have to get off that TO love affair you've got going because it is clouding your judgment. As for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers... maybe. For me, they are much more believable than Cincy. I'm rolling with the Tuna and picking Miami out of the AFC. For the NFC, it is going to be the 49ers...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 7, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Countdown to the Season on FoxSports.com:

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

MVP: Aaron Rodgers
OPOY: Rodgers
DPOY: Brian Orakpo
OROY: Ryan Mathews
DROY: Ndamakong Suh

You heard it here first, people...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 6:34 AM

Okay, you're on record for the creme de la creme. How about the crap de la crap:

1. Team with #1 overall draft choice:
2. Hero to zero -- most disappointing team:
3. Offensive GOY (Goat of the Year):
4. Defensive GOY:
5. First coach fired:

My picks:

1. Seattle
2. Dallas
3. Brett Favre
4. Albert Haynesworth
5. Jack Del Rio

Posted by: beep-beep | September 7, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

"I pray to the football gods that we can beat dallas."

football god, a woman, of course:

Why should I let the redskins beat the cowboys?

delirious redskins fan:

They are a team of sinners, blasphemers, tax cheats, druggies, masterbaters, liars, and they let unattractve women prance about on the sidelines in skimpy white and blue outfits during their game.

female god:

Ugly wimmin in skimpy white and blue outfits, you say?

redksin fan:

foootball goddess:

That's quite a lot of sin.

(She pauses to think and bless moe with more wit and wisdom.).

I tell you what I'll do: I'll let them get their hopes up.

I'll let them get right to the NFC Championship Game against a saints team missing Drew Brees.

They'll have high hopes, for sure.

Then, just like a few years ago, I'll have Tony Romo do something massively stupid that makes for a humilating loss on National tv.

I've done it before.

And I'll do it again.

You prayer will be answered.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 7, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

RSH, it ain't only brownwood picking the Bengals to go to the super bowl. A few so-called experts have them going and I know of a few knowledgeable football fans who have them in their also.

Bengals have a damn good defense and now the offense ain't to bad either. I think they're going to use the three back system and with the addition of T.O. the passing game should be much improved.

It's not lunacy to have the Bengals in the super bowl or at least making a deep run in the playoffs.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 7, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 7, 2010 7:47 AM

Dude, if you think I'm taking the Bengals because of TO then it's YOU that has TO on the brain, not me. They have a legit QB, a balanced offense (with or without TO), and a top 10 (if not top 5) defense. It's not like they were 5-11 last year...they won 10 games and swept one of the toughest divisions in football. I think they'll take the next step because I think they have the strongest all-around team in the AFC.

I've got Miami winning their division, but you're nuts if you think they can beat the Colts, Bengals, Steelers or Ravens in a playoff game.

Agree on the Niners, though...I've got 'em winning 12 games and losing to the Pack in the NFC title game. Playing at Lambeau in January won't do well for those California boys...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Is Paulson the ponytail guy? Every team needs a ponytail guy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 7, 2010 7:15 AM

Nothing like a little superstition first thing in the morning...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 7:29 AM
------------------------------------------
Yes, having a Samoan dude is good luck but let's not underrate the importance of having Leigh Torrence - the ultimate good luck charm - on your roster. Look what he did for the Saints...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 7, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

One thing overlooked from the weekend -- getting a draft pick for Tryon was a fairly impressive accomplishment.`

I hate super bowl predictions because it's almost impossible to get right.

But I'll make another one.

Cooley is going to have a fantastic year, by far the best of his career.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 7, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

1. Team with #1 overall draft choice:
2. Hero to zero -- most disappointing team:
3. Offensive GOY (Goat of the Year):
4. Defensive GOY:
5. First coach fired:

Posted by: beep-beep | September 7, 2010 7:56 AM

For the sake of brevity, I left off ALL my predictions, but since you asked:

1. Cleveland
2. Vikings (I have 'em 8-8 this year)
3. Favre
4. Osi Umenyiora
5. Eric Mangina

Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I hate super bowl predictions because it's almost impossible to get right.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 7, 2010 8:14 AM

Odds against predicting the Super Bowl winner: 31 to 1.

Odds against predicting the two teams in the Super Bowl, plus the winner: 511 to 1.

These are better odds that you get in the daily lottery.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 7, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

PFT blasted the 'Skins for not going hard after Housh.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.... I'd have liked to see him sign here but when it comes to signing players or not signing players they can't win in the eyes of the media.

Still find the fact that Galloway is the starting receiver a little unsettling.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 7, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

pepper 5

"I hate super bowl predictions because it's almost impossible to get right."

Doesn't it really depend on how you look at what you're predicting?

It's hard to pick the teams that'll get to the big game, but easier to select the ones that won't, no matter what they do.

So here, we predict the 5 teams that will be abject failures and succeed in that regard:

tampa
kansas city
cleveland
iggles
seahawks

There.

I bet I'm the only prognosticator who'll be proven right this football season.

And as for the other guys: let them pick a winner.

Me?: like a bottom feeder in a night club, I'll take my chances with a dog every time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 7, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, picking SB teams is just taking shots in the dark to see what sticks at the end of the year. You can't account for injuries and other unforeseen factors, so it's all just for fun. Nailing down both SB teams is the equivolent of completing a hail mary or hitting a 3 pointer from full court...you can play it off like you knew all along but everyone knows it was pure luck...

Moe, funny stuff man, but if Dall-ass gets to the NFC title game I'll be stunned. I've got the Ginas winning the division and the Cowpies losing to them in the wild card round. The Cowdungs are wildly overrated and if they get more than 10 wins, I'll be amazed...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

PFT blasted the 'Skins for not going hard after Housh.

Still find the fact that Galloway is the starting receiver a little unsettling.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 7, 2010 8:21 AM

Agreed...I comment over at PFT close to never, but I felt the need to get on Florio for that. If they DID sign Housh, it would prove his theory that we're "an aging, hodge-podge, free-agent laden roster hoping for 9-7 or 10-6 and a Wild Card loss". Yet he says the same crap because we passed on him in favor of Galloway (which isn't necessarily the way I see it...probably had more to do with lacking confidence in Housh than it did having confidence in Galloway). Can't have it both ways...

I don't like having Galloway out there either...but I'm also not interested in having DT out there if he can't beat out a guy whose age matches his jersey number...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

OK, fine.

San Diego 38, Carolina 24

Norv wins his first SB as head coach.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

beep beep...more LaVar pimping...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"MVP: Aaron Rodgers
OPOY: Rodgers
DPOY: Brian Orakpo
OROY: Ryan Mathews
DROY: Ndamakong Suh
You heard it here first, people...
Posted by: brownwood26"

It's prediction time again, I see. Reminds me of the scene from Henry IV, Part One:

GLENDOWER: I can call spirits from the vasty deep!
HOTSPUR: Aye, so can I, but will they come?

Just raising the tone a little bit, folks...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Redskins, Titans talking Albert Haynesworth trade
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 7, 2010 9:21 AM ET
When the relationship between Albert Haynesworth and the Redskins continued to deteriorate over the weekend, MDS had a great post which essentially said this:

The Redskins either need to accept Haynesworth as a Redskin (and stop anonymously ripping him) or cut bait once and for all.

It looks like they are trying for door number two.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Titans and Redskins have again engaged in trade talk about Haynesworth. There is no deal yet. Mort says the Redskins' asking price of two draft picks remains too high for Tennessee.

The Redskins already paid Haynesworth's massive option bonus this year, so the Titans have a chance to get a player they know best at a huge discount. The Redskins would just be admitting a massively expensive mistake that Mike Shanahan hasn't helped fix.

Posted by: suliman215 | September 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse