No scrimmage on Fan Appreciation Day

Because of injury concerns, the Redskins will not scrimmage Saturday during Fan Appreciation Day at Redskins Park, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"I went full speed [while with the Denver Broncos], I think, three years in a row on goal line and I lost one guy each year. And I looked at myself and I said, 'What are you trying to do with those 12 plays? What's the difference?' " Shanahan said after the morning session Friday at the complex.

"So I think you go back to your past and say, 'What can we do to get in the best football shape, get our team ready for the first game, and try to keep away from injuries?' So that's my philosophy.

"What we do out there every day is we're practicing at game-day speed. And I think if you practice at game-day speed, and you don't go after somebody's knees or somebody's ankles, you've got a chance to go into the first regular-season game as healthy as you possibly could."

According to the team's website, the parking lots are scheduled to open at 9 a.m. and fans will be permitted to walk toward the practice fields at 9:30. The day's events, including an approximately 90-minute practice, begin at 10:15. Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen are expected to address the crowd. The Redskins are encouraging fans to arrive early.

Throughout the day, the team's charitable foundation will continue to accept donations for its "Stuff a Backpack" school supply drive. The Redskins are seeking donations of new school supplies to help families prepare for the school year.

The supplies include unsharpened No. 2 pencils, pencil sharpeners, colored pencils, pens, highlighters, erasers, rulers, glue sticks, notebook filler paper, spiral notebooks, three-ring binders and crayons. For more information, contact Jordana Taylor of the team's charitable foundation at (703) 726-7497.

By Jason Reid  |  August 6, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins have completed offensive installation
Next: NFL rule changes include penalties for head shots

Comments

I think LL will end up in deep coverage from time to time, especially after smart coordinators find out what motions forces LL into deep coverage. One only hopes that LL is paying attention to what Moore is doing. Moore has improved his coverage this offseason. There's no reason why LL can't do the same.
Posted by: TWISI | August 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I think LL is too anxious to make a pick or a big hit, and is forgetting that he is a "defender", not a missile.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Team is also sponsoring special walk on try outs for fans who think they could play nose tackle for the defensive line.

Yeah, 300-yard shuttle runs...

Best times will win a chance at a $100 million contract -- $42 million guaranteed.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 6, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I might have a new record for a double post...7 minutes apart. I hit "submit" went back to old thread. When I came back, my note was still in comments box. Sorry.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THE PROBLEM IN THIS STATEMENT????
_____________________________

I agree that it's messed up that they have installed the offense so quickly. I also wonder what happens when all of the cuts are made and these players knowing all of the terminology and plays start telling it to the teams that pick them up.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | August 6, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________

This entire offense is on tape with the Houston Texans from last year that finished 3rd or 4th in the league... If it was predictable or easy like our previous coach's, it wouldn't have been so efficient... From what we have read, they mix it up really good with different formations/looks & use different primary options based on the call.

This is a positive which will allow the offense to presumably get better & better as the pre-season goes along... Even if a player gets cut... he may know the plays but it's the down/distance situation in which the plays are used that teams study the week leading up to a game. This information will only be on film from last year's Texans.

Posted by: tony325 | August 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | August 6, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, wish somebody could teach him how to wrap somebody up and take them down, rather than always try to knock them out of their shoes and jockstraps. With his headbanger's ball approach, he misses way too often... and usually when there's nobody else around to pick up the slack.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, 300-yard shuttle runs...

Posted by: Vic1

Now wouldn't that be special!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 3:23 PM

This isn't an issue up here. Average attention span on RI is 2.3 minutes.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Why can't they package fat albert and carlos rodgers for Darell Revis and Jenkins? Both teams get blue chippers. Ryan is probably the only coach that can deal with FA...and we need a shut down corner. I'm really concerned about our DBs. REALLY!!

Posted by: johnhicks1 | August 6, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"I agree that it's messed up that they have installed the offense so quickly."

There is nothing wrong.

Most football teams have 40 plays that change based on the formation, protection, coverage, etc..

In fact, you can run a specific play at a defense and signal the way it's coming.

But if they can't stop it, does it matter?

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's favorite post:

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 3:29 PM

Wait, what were you saying?

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 6, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's fan appreciation day = "Caddy Day" at Bushwood Country Club.

"Caddies welcome 11:00 - 11:15"

HEY OH!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 6, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't ever call me baby, hess.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 6, 2010 12:44 PM

I borrowed Riggo's, "loosen up, Sandy baby" quote.

How about this red, you sure have thin skin, my man !

You can't be sensitive on this board, c'mon.

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse