Position shuffle no problem for Dennis Morris

A sixth round pick in April's draft, Dennis Morris came out of Louisiana Tech as one of the nation's most accomplished and versatile college tight ends. But the Redskins were in search of a backup for Pro Bowler Mike Sellers and told Morris to line up at fullback to begin the offseason.

Then the team gave linebacker Darrel Young a shot at fullback, and Morris has moved back to tight end, where he won several All-America honors and was named the national tight end of the year by the College Football Performance Awards in 2009.

The position changes haven't been a problem, says Morris, who is looking to make the Redskins' final 53-man roster in any way possible.

"I feel like I can do both of them," said the 23-year-old, who was the nation's touchdown reception leader among tight ends last season with 12. "I like both of them, because both of them do the same thing. Both of them hit, both of them block, both them run out and catch. So both of them are the same thing really, just one of them comes out of the backfield."

Morris, who was awarded a signing bonus of $118,000 and would earn $320,000 this season if he makes the roster, didn't play much in Friday's preseason opener against Buffalo. But he did notice something in his short time on the field.

"The biggest was speed," said Morris, referring to the difference between college and pro football. "Everything was fast, nothing was slow."

Morris is competing with fellow rookie Logan Paulsen and two-year veteran Lee Vickers for a spot behind the tight end tandem of Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. He has sought out the two established players for advice when necessary.

"If I got any questions about anything, I go to them and they tell me what I need to do and how I need to do it," Morris said. "They have been a big help."

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 17, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan stops practice to recharge team
Next: Bruce Smith remembers his Redskin days

Comments

As far as I'm concerned, ALL of TX is Crawford to me.

It's like me growing up on the mean streets of Potomac, MD and someone lauding McLean vs. Manassas.

Dude, it's ALL Manassas to me from where I'm sitting.

If I want to get a firsthand look at a tumbleweed, dudes in cowboy hats or women with black eyes, I'll go to Texas.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I may be wrong on this one but my humble opinion is that the 'Skins have all the TE's they are going to need.

Hopefully dude is a special teams standout and can play as an H-Back or Fullback as Sellers' understudy.

That said, even that position seems to be log-jammed.

Good luck dude, save your money.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the 4 TE set!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

That said, even that position seems to be log-jammed.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Feels good to say that, doesn't it?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the 4 TE set!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

The dreaded Pro Emu Thigh©!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That said, even that position seems to be log-jammed.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Feels good to say that, doesn't it?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2010 3:51 PM |

Matt, totally. Given that we have 2 potential All Pros at that position.

I know Sellers is getting old and dudes his size that are that athletic have a short shelf-life but I will always love the image of CP, running down the sideline for a TD while hanging on for dear life to Mike Sellers' tee-shirt tail as if he were being "towed" down the sideline. That was one of my favorite 'Skins runs ever. Sellers seemed to pick up speed when he felt CP being "dragged" behind him. I like to think he could hear CP yelling, "Go biotch...GO!"

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Everyone tell me if thats weird or not.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

So a converted LB named Darrel Young is handed the back up FB/HB job, and D Mo is thrown back into competing with two other guys behind Cooley and Davis for the final TE spot?

Does that make sense? Did he suck at FB/HB or what?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the 4 TE set!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

The dreaded Pro Emu Thigh©!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2010 3:56 PM
------------------------------------------
I'm waiting for the tight end wild cat.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Everyone tell me if thats weird or not.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 4:00 PM

Yup. That's weird.

What were you doing there, anyway?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Actaully - I don't want to know...

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Does that make sense? Did he suck at FB/HB or what?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:01 PM

Starting at what draft round is a pick considered a bust if they don't make the team that year? 4th? Big ole waste of a pick.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Yup. That's weird.

What were you doing there, anyway?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It was part of the Robb Spewak Audio Vault on www.mikeomearashow.com today, it was so weird I Facebook messaged him to get the source and now am just going to put it out there.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope he gets on the field more this week.

Posted by: jfwil | August 17, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Does that make sense? Did he suck at FB/HB or what?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:01 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 4:08 PM |

I guess my point is, why would you draft a pass catching TE when you already have Cooley and Davis? At the time of the pick, the following guys were still on the board:

- OT Samy Young 6-8 316 Natre Dame
- C Eric Olson 6-4 306 Notre dame
- OG Shelley Smith 6-3 300 Colorado St.
- OT Kyle Calloway 6-6 323 Iowa

Not to mention Myron Rolle 6-2 215 Rhodes Scholar SS from Fl St.

Calloway comes from Iowa where the specialize in zone blocking similar to Shanny's system.

Didn't quite understand the pick then, still not sure now. Granted, it's a 6th rounder, so not a huge deal here. Just sort of curious, that's all.

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This move seems kinda strange to me. I definately looked at at Morris as a potential future replacement for Sellers. He has good size, good blocking ability, and can catch well too. Why put him in the mix at TE when we already have Cooley and Davis? Do they think he's a better blocking TE than Paulsen and Vickers? Can Darrel Young catch, or will he be a blocking FB only?

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 17, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I hope he gets on the field more this week.

Posted by: jfwil | August 17, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Any guy who starts out his highlight reel with a ton of blocking footage where he is throwing DE's on the ground is good enough to get a shot in my book.

I just wish guys would stop putting music in these reels and either just run no audio or TV audio.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

==

That was exactly my reaction the first time I saw his reel.

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Does that make sense? Did he suck at FB/HB or what?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Dont look at it like that. Look at it like Cooley and Davis are TE, Sellers is a FB/Hback, and DeMo and DY are hybrids who can do both and need to make the team as special teamers. If one guy can start on teams and be the second or third back up at two spots, he brings value to the team. Kind of like the back up Olineman who can roll at botht G/T or C/G.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 17, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Dont look at it like that. Look at it like Cooley and Davis are TE, Sellers is a FB/Hback, and DeMo and DY are hybrids who can do both and need to make the team as special teamers. If one guy can start on teams and be the second or third back up at two spots, he brings value to the team. Kind of like the back up O lineman who can roll at both G/T or C/G.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 17, 2010 4:39 PM

Yeah, I can go with that.

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Someone posed the question why did we draft a pass catching TE with the 6th round pick.

The answer is, Morris isn't a pass catching TE. He can catch, but his best asset is his blocking ability. That's why they were looking at him at FB.

My guess is that if he can show that he can play both positions in addition to standing out on special teams, he'll make the roster over his competition.

Posted by: dfbovey | August 17, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

- OT Samy Young 6-8 316 Natre Dame
- C Eric Olson 6-4 306 Notre dame
- OG Shelley Smith 6-3 300 Colorado St.
- OT Kyle Calloway 6-6 323 Iowa

Not to mention Myron Rolle 6-2 215 Rhodes Scholar SS from Fl St.

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 4:17 PM

I've seen Shelly Smith reporting on ESPN. I never guessed she was 6'3". The 300lbs seems about right though.

Posted by: unquiltom | August 17, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Everyone tell me if thats weird or not.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 4:00 PM |

Not only is that weird, it also sucks. So, at least it has that going for it.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 17, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Victor Cruz - Giants Rookie Wideout

Tell me if THAT doesn't suck?
(answer: It Does Suck.)

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 17, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I believe that would be called the Tight Pussy formation...

Posted by: JHvet1 | August 18, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Really, I think that this clip [second part, right after "Jungle to Jungle"] sums it up perfectly for me.

I'd LOVE to see this on the brand new big screens at Fed Ex Field...

Enjoy

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 18, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Watch this guy's college highlights. His best play (SportsCenter play of the week) was against Kyle Wilson, a 2010 1st round DB. Dude can play football.

Posted by: Redskinnerton | August 18, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse