Game's leading tackler Robert Henson hurt

Second-year inside linebacker Robert Henson suffered a right knee injury Thursday night during the second half of the Redskins 20-10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium.

"Yeah, it's a shame," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "It's something we're going to have to take a look at. I don't know how long it'll be. "It's something we'll have to evaluate. I thought he played pretty well to that point. ... He was active. He was into the game. He was excited about playing. "

Henson was expected to make the opening 53-man roster, in large part, because of the contribution he could make on special teams. Against the Cardinals, he led all players with seven tackles. Henson also had two tackles for losses and a sack.

"I thought he made a bunch of plays," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's all over the field. We'll see how bad he is in the next couple of days - how bad that injury is."

Henson said the leg injury occurred when he "just landed funny." Henson is expected to undergo an MRI exam Friday.

"I tackled the guy and somebody landed on my leg," he said. "I just couldn't put any weight on it. It was tough. Obviously, I wanted to play the whole game.

"I felt like a guy in my position couldn't afford to be hurt. But ain't much you can do about it. I definitely kind of broke down when it happened. I was kind of emotional about it because I felt, like I said, I've got to make plays."

Henson said he appreciates the support of his teammates.

"A lot of my teammates said I had a good game," Henson said. "But they don't make the decisions at the end of the day. I felt I had a lot more to go. Like I had a lot more to give. Like I said, it's a tough situation. Hopefully, I did enough to stick around."

By Jason Reid  |  September 3, 2010; 2:33 AM ET
Categories:  preseason games
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cardinals beat Redskins, 20-10
Next: John Beck learning on the fly

Comments

Hope Rob Henson is Ok
Hope Fat Al keeps his mouth shut about playing the whole game. Its time to get in Dallas mode, dude.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 3, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

You had a great game, Henson! Tons of energy and heart. Get well soon.

Posted by: sorry2say | September 3, 2010 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Henson...hopefully he'll be good to go.

I still think it would be a waste to cut Banks...dude has the speed and the moves to be a great return man for us. I know the fumbles are a huge concern, but as I pointed out a few days ago Devin Hester has an alarming fumble rate as well. Guys as dynamic and fast as that are worth the risk, IMO.

Next stop: FedEx Field to play the Cowdungs. Can't wait...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 5:27 AM | Report abuse

Keim's "Studs and Duds":

LB Robert Henson: He was very patient most of the game, pausing to read the play and then reacting. It enabled him to make a lot of stops. He also blitzed very well, running through and over the backs en route to the quarterback. Liked his footwork on his first blitz in which he started behind Albert Haynesworth and Chris Wilson on the right, then cut to the inside. The center could not react in time. Henson was kept clean by the line and he could move to the ball freely. The big downside? His knee injury. He was definitely on the bubble entering the game.

DL Anthony Bryant: The more I see, the more I like. It’s been clear for a couple games that he does a better job controlling the middle than Maake Kemoeatu. He plays with more power in his legs and that’s a huge help. He made plays in which he shed the blocker. He doesn't always draw double teams, but he does hold his ground well. Some of his success has come vs. first team centers, too. Should he start over Kemo? Don’t know, but I do know that Kemo has not looked good this summer and this position could be an issue, if they don't want to start Albert Haynesworth.

WR Devin Thomas: Thomas needed a good game and he responded with a strong effort. Thomas, whom team and league sources said was squarely on the bubble, showed a lot of what he could do: showing some explosiveness on kick returns; blocking downfield and he even made a couple nice catches. He wasn’t perfect; he seemed to cut off a route, based on a read, that led to an interception. He missed a block early in the game that led to a tackle for a loss. Was it enough? Should be for now. But have to ask yourself this: Why did he play the entire game? My own take is that the Redskins wanted to see what he could do over the course of a game. Thursday, he helped them.

TE Logan Paulsen: Liked his blocking and he even caught a pass. Every time I checked him out he seemed to drive his man out of the play. I don’t know how he wasn’t drafted and Dennis Morris was. Paulsen might have earned himself a spot; he has good fundamentals when it comes to blocking. His hands usually seem to be in the right place.

CB Justin Tryon: He had an interception in the end zone, but more importantly he made the routine tackles early in the game. Will that be enough? Tryon is another former draft pick fighting for a job with Ramzee Robinson and Byron Westbrook. A week or two ago he was trailing. After Thursday? Hard to say in this one.

WR Terrence Austin: The receiver showed his value. He’s an excellent route-runner and drives hard on his cuts. It gives him enough separation; he won't get it by being physical, but that's OK. He’s a steady player and more trustworthy than Brandon Banks. That matters.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 5:57 AM | Report abuse

DUDS

CB Byron Westbrook: He almost seemed to play tighter than in previous games. He did make a couple tackles, but he also missed at least one. He wasn’t as sound in coverage as in previous games.

TE Lee Vickers: It’s not that he was bad, but it seemed like Paulsen was better. If the race was neck and neck, don’t think he came out ahead. He had a false start, but it really wasn’t about one penalty. It was about an overall ho-hum night.

G Kory Lichtensteiger: He’s probably not in jeopardy, but he didn’t stand out Thursday night. But Lichtensteiger was getting moved back in the pocket with too much frequency. That came while playing guard; he seemed to be more effective at center. Meanwhile, Erik Cook seemed to handle that spot fairly well. He improved a lot in camp.

QB John Beck: OK, he signed the extension the other day, but he didn’t exactly show a whole lot to say he should stick around. He likes changing his arm angle and that’s fine, but my problem is that he often does so without shifting his feet, too. Seems a bit lazy. Beck nearly was picked off on a pass to the outside that had little zip. Other times he makes you think, Hmmm, with a decent decision or spot-on throw. But I’m not sure I’m buying him just yet.

OG Chad Rinehart: The former third-round pick did not play until the final couple minutes and then it was at left guard (he’d always played on the right side). Rinehart did not have a great summer; for a big guy he gets stood up a lot. Bad sign for him.

WR/R Brandon Banks: Dropped another punt; dropped a pass. Just can’t afford to put a guy back there who can’t secure the ball. The No. 1 job of a punt returner is not to show your speed, it’s to catch the ball. In four games, he put the ball on the ground three times. It’s an issue. This team is trying to win now – whether or not it’s the right strategy doesn’t matter - do you think they’ll risk that for a rookie punt returner?

S Anderson Russell: He dropped an interception, had a pass interference and later an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Did we mention the drop would have been a touchdown? Bad night for the rookie. But he did make a good read and break on the dropped pick. It’s a start.

RT Clint Oldenburg: He allowed some pressures, but after some early struggles he seemed to improve. However, he got hurt late and that’s a bad sign for him. So, too, is the fact that Will Robinson played better – and did so at both tackle spots.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Count Foxsports as one of the haters (they have us going 7-9):

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

if we get to 7-9 with this band of gypsies then throw a ticker-tape parade. no WR that starts for Detroit, Portis can't break 5.0 in the 40, Mcchicken is gimpy at best, and we are starting a new scheme. maybe a couple of cross-dressing geriatrics in pig noses can pump up KFC stadium opening night. the whole program is a disgrace to the game. Snyder out, 4 solid drafts,bob marley off the helmet, new colors, equals winner! Until then, maybe we beat the rams and bucs.

Posted by: doyouktt | September 3, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

I still think it would be a waste to cut Banks..

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 5:27 AM

If he does make the team, I would have him inactive until he's works on concentrating on holding onto the ball. They have other players on the team that can be dynamic at the potions that Banks plays (WR, KR,PR)who have better ball security.

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

7-9 means they're a hater? I'm a gung-ho kool-aid drinking bleeding burgundy fan and realistically I put us at 8-8. Considering where we were last season, 8-8 would be a hell of an improvement. We're too short on depth to do much better.

Posted by: Keiser | September 3, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow...really hard hitting analysis there. I almost thought you were Sam Kinison, but then I remembered A) that he's dead and B) he was funny. Idiot...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

I still think it would be a waste to cut Banks..

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 5:27 AM

If he does make the team, I'd have him inactive until he improves his concentration on holding onto the ball. The team has other players who are dynamic at the positions Banks plays (WR, KR, PR) and have better ball security.

I like what Rob Jackson has done the last two weeks. Seems he too has improved over the preseason. I think he'll get caught in a number crunch, but I think he may have found a position that suits him better than DE.

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, I could see stashing Banks as an option...I just think fumbling is correctable. He is a rookie, after all...

Keiser, I've got us going 8-8 too...I know it's only one game, but I have a hard time believing this team will have a losing record. The only way we're a sub .500 team is if we get killed with injuries. I'm hoping karma won't allow us to suffer like that two years in a row...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 6:50 AM | Report abuse

No way Banks makes it now. Can you imagine him fumbling at home on Sunday night and giving the Girls the short field? He is more likely to fumble now, than take one to the house. He is a liability. I love his speed, but ball security is a premium. Such a shame too :(

Posted by: FedorEm | September 3, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Thankful that the preseason is over and with all due respect to the predictions this morning, I can't see the Redskins having a winning record this year. Consider players have to learn a new system, some players changing positions, new coaches, etc. I'm hoping for the best and the best to me will be 6-10. Not trying to be negative, just honest. Hey, if we do better than 6-10 that's a plus. If we make the playoff I'll go outside and roll in the dirt with my dog. HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | September 3, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

All true FedorEm, but what if the Bears said the same thing about Devin Hester? Or Minny said the same about AP? God knows I wish the Giants said the same about Tiki Barber back in the day.

To me, it would be a bit hypocritical for these coaches to cut Banks in the name of "risk outweighing potential" and keep AH when he's waaay riskier from a disruptive standpoint. As with Hester early in his career, you hate that the guy fumbles 5 or 6 times but you'll be happy to get those extra 5 or 6 TDs. Can't teach speed and can't teach ball carrier vision. Banks appears to have both.

Even though Banks let a couple roll out of his hands, he's also taken one to the house. I don't care what point in the game it was (which on ST doesn't matter anyway), nobody else has done it so it means at least a little something. I'd understand being reluctant to put him back there if we had a better option, but I didn't see anyone else step up and take that spot.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I still think it would be a waste to cut Banks..

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 5:27 AM

Banks is to the NFL as Russian Roulette is to deer hunting

Nice legs, bad hands. Carlos Rodgers with speed.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

from J Kiem,

So we cut Edwin Williams, and keep this dud?

Wazzup wid dat?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

hess, with the offseason acquisitions we made and change in regime, 6-10 and would nothing short of a complete failure. To me, 8-8 should be the floor for this team, not the ceiling. Everyone in the NFC East is on equal footing IMO, and they only reason I don't have this team winning more than 8 games is because I expect us to start slow with everyone learning a new system. To me, the only way we win only 6 games is if we get killed with injuries again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doyouktt | September 3, 2010 6:18 AM

************************

As much as I hate to admit it .. that made me laugh.

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | September 3, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

hessone

"Consider players have to learn a new system, some players changing positions, new coaches, etc. I'm hoping for the best and the best to me will be 6-10."

6-10?

Throw in a effective running game, more turnovers from the D, and McNabb, that's three more wins, possibly.

9-7 is more like it.

And 8-8 is what will probably happen.

And in any event, it's all still better than 4-12, an uncompetitive offense and defense, and the morass of Vinny's leftover sorry draft classes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Our new coach,the fifth or sixth one in our short history,does not have a great team.
But, he does have an encounter group,a therapy session,and a potentially great investment club going for the assistant coaches,the angry players,and the owner.
I think Mike should go down to AA and tape some of their meetings for his team.The fabulous thing about having a team in Washington is the karaoke contest after each loss.Are there enough mikes in the locker room?

Posted by: TarheelChief | September 3, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

brown, I hope I'm being overly cautious, which I tend to be, but 8-8 would be a winning season to me, although I realize it would be 500.

Banks hurt himself not protecting the ball. Tough little guy, but losing the turnover battle loses you games. Watching the wire for a return guy is in order i'd assume.

Posted by: hessone | September 3, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

so, did you guys put all these predictions up on scamp's wiki page? btw, 9-7 is the right answer.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 3, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

"Our new coach,...,does not have a great team."

Whereas this might be true, I sense that this rebuilding project will render a positive result.

And when you really get down to it, we can only hope we see a competitive team that can score and play teams/defense.

Anything beats the sorry mess Jim Zorn's pathetic efforts fielded over the past two years.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Shame about Henson, hope it's nothing serious.

Love this statement from Reid:

Thomas had four receptions for 34 yards and averaged 27.5 yards on kickoff returns. It would be surprising if Washington released Thomas, but it appears he faces an uphill battle to become a factor in the passing game even if he makes the cut.

So he's gonna make the team, but they're not going to throw him the ball?? Makes sense...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

moe

When you mention 9-7 you realize that could put us in the playoffs. Only if the o-line can improve (which they have on paper) can McNabb excell. The running game, again o-line. The D might concentrate on turnovers more so this year, but I hope we tackle first and keep the ball in front of us. Big deal this year is stop opposing teams on third down and get off the field, which we have had a problem doing in the past. Still have to see how the D responds to the 3-4 alignment though. I guess for all the negatives, you can point out the positives at this point of the season.

Posted by: hessone | September 3, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 8:04 AM |

Including Shanahan's interviews and news conferences. No more players having ouchies.

Posted by: hessone | September 3, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are "Vinny Cerrato Retarded" if they let Brandon Banks go. Sure, the dude's not perfect, he's human, he makes mistakes. But look at the mistakes he made, those types of things you can coach up and correct, you can't teach speed and being able to stop on a dime and change direction like that. Plus, even if you want to put him on your practice squad, he'll never clear waivers, the dude will be swallowed up quicker than a Twinkie in Fat Al's sausage fingers. Someone will want to take a chance on him, if not for his speed and return ability, but maybe to groom him into a 3rd down back/reciever. Remember, he's still a rookie, trying to make plays, he gets nervous, plus maybe he doesn't have half of those fumbles in the regular season because he's forcing it now to make plaYS and make something happen. Keep Brandon Banks, and F DALLAS!

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

"[Brandon Banks] is more likely to fumble now, than take one to the house." Posted by: FedorEm

Isn't that true for punt returns in general? Lot easier to put it on the ground than to beat 11 other guys to the opposite end zone.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Brown, I hope they keep Banks. This guy could do more than just return. His speed is game changing. Direct snaps to Banks should be part of the gameplan on 3rd downs if he makes the team.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 3, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

while Jarmon didn't exactly have a good showing last night, but I think he's got much more upside than Holliday....hindsight, I think it would have been better to put him, and Kelly on the PUP list....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

If Henson's injury has him out for a few weeks I hope we consider putting him on IR and keeping him on the roster for 2011. He showed enough there to me that if coached up, he could be the ILB we need on this team to replace London.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

We were 4-12 last year with the worst coach in the NFL. His idiocy cost us several games. So, with last year's talent at the time and a real coach, we would have had a few more wins.

Bring in a real coach, who has upgraded many positions, including getting a real defensive coordinator and a pro-bowl QB, and 8-8 would be a disappointment this year.

This team is easily capable of 8-11 wins. Sure, we could win 5 or 6, but we could also win 10-12. That's why predictions are pointless and we let the men on the field play the games. But, you can't be a true "fan" and predict a terrible season. To be a true fan of the Redskins (or any team) means you are optimistic and believe in the best.

So, 19-0, here we come.

Posted by: Section104 | September 3, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"So [Devin Thomas is} gonna make the team, but they're not going to throw him the ball?? Makes sense...Posted by: BeantownGreg1"

I think Jason Reid means he's not going to be on the field much to start the season, except for returns.

Actually makes sense. If you think he's too talented to throw away, that is. He's got a role on ST and could still have trade value if another club has a receiver go down to injury (which seems to happen a lot more than it used to).

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood you're a solid contributor but I have to take issue with some of your "Studs/Duds" post.

1) How is Bartell not on your studs list?? The guy was 12/14 with a TD largely against Arizona's first string D. He made good decisions, looked much more comfortable in the pocket, and displayed a stronger arm than Beck. I think he has to stay with us but due to the economics of the situation, he's sadly headed to the practice squad.

2) Banks- yes, he needs to get stronger, work on his hands and concentration; those are things you can teach and/or develop. What you cannot teach is his kind of speed, elusiveness and athleticism. He is a game changer, a field flipper, something we do not have unless we're willing to put 89 back there which we cannot afford to do consistently. You put this kid on the pracitce squad, he will get taken. His upside is much greater than keeping a marginal vet like Wade or Williams. Keep Banks, along with Austin and Armgstrong, and we have a real talented youth movement at WR (especially if DT ever gets his head outta his rear end, which i think he is working on).

And more generally- just because we brought in McNabb, we're a "win now" team?? Disagreed. I think everyone knows this is expected to be a building year with potential to contend for a playoff spot if things break right. New offense, new defense, totally new leadership, mostly the same starters; not exactly a "Super Bowl or bust" complexion.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"Sure, [Banks is] not perfect, he's human, he makes mistakes."

LOL I never find that reassuring about a player. They're all human, they all make mistakes. It's how many, and when, that counts.

I think Brandon has a little case of the yips. He had the big start and since then has mostly looked scared. Everybody knows how fast he is, but at 150lbs, he could easily get hurt on a return. No position more vulnerable to a big hit than punt returner. All it takes is a missed block, and as we all know, blockers are human, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

^lmao

Posted by: RedDMV | September 3, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 8:33 AM |

Monk, you should stick with early morning vespers at the monastery. Guy who's too nervous in pre-season is suddenly calm and collected in the regular season opener against Dallas? Right. And an undrafted rookie who drops the ball as much as Banks will make someone else's roster? Yeah, in the arena league.

Banks is gone, unless he's shown more in practice than he's shown in the pre-season games. If he's had great hands in practice, then they'll keep him. In that regard what did Theisman say last night? "I watched him drop four balls in succession in practice." Maybe those were his only four drops, but this guy's not ready for the NFL. I predict he'll be on the Redskins practice squad.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

J Keim: "OG Chad Rinehart: The former third-round pick did not play until the final couple minutes and then it was at left guard. Rinehart did not have a great summer. Bad sign for him."

I'm never sure what it means when a reserve lineman doesn't play in the final game. Has to be one of two things: they've already decided to cut him (what Keim implies) or they've already decided to keep him. This coaching staff doesn't tip their hand the way Zorn did.

By the way, looks like we should have drafted Rinehart's college teammate, Austin Howard, 6'7" 337lbs, a rook FA tackle who's looking more and more like a regular on the Iggles' offensive line.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Remember that a team that commits the least mistakes in the NFL is probably going to win 2-3 games just by playing error free.

If we can find a place for Banks on the p-squad, thats find, but until we have him work with the coaches on holding the ball and catching properly, I don't want him back there on punts. Kick Returns maybe *more room to recover a muff.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Wanna bet?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Notorious, that Studs and Duds stuff is from John Keim over at the Examiner...not my stuff. I'm one of Banks' biggest supporters up here from what I've seen.

Just to put this fumbling thing in perspective: Brian Mitchell--one of the best to ever run back a punt/kick--fumbled 14 kickoffs and 19 punts in his 14 year career. And that's not to mention his 44 fumbles on offense. Fumbles happen. If you give the offense consistently good field position and run back 13 TDs as he did, all is forgiven.

Keep Banks. Chances are, we won't be sorry.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

So the Vikings should cut Adrian Peterson because he fumbles a lot? He's human, too, and makes mistakes. Not to compare Peterson to Banks, cause I know the difference, but look at what the Vikings are doing in the offseason with Peterson, making him carry around that stupid 18 pound purple ball. You see what the player is doing wrong and coach him, try to teach him the right way. Banks is no different. And I don't think he looks scared, he's just a rookie, he'll get better, he's just taking extra risks to make the team in preseason, everyone does it. And just because he weighs 150 pounds doesn't mean he'll get broken in half like a breadstick. Any player, no matter the size or weight, has an equal chance of getting injured. But everyone has an opinion, that what makes you human too......

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Wanna bet?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 8:54 AM

What are you predicting?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

walter

So where do the wins come from?

Consider the schedule:

Vikings
Giants
Buccaneers
Cowboys
Jaguars
Giants

The Packers, Colts, Titans, Vikings, and Cowboys will feature teams that can score at will.

The Lions are much improved.

The Bears, Jags, Bucs, and Rams (S Bradford will be very good) are who we think they are.

And in our division, each team features some sort of change which suggests they are vulnerable, so you hope for splits or a season sweep from one of them.

6-10? 7-9? 8-8? 9-7?

I say, 9-7 is doable.

But 8-8 is what will probably happen.

And 7-9 is fine as it's still better than 4-12.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 8:57 A

I agree. That's why I'd put him on the practice squad.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

moe, how about competence...from the last regime to this one, I'm looking for offensive competence....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Some pretty decent stuff last night. I could use another hour or two of sleep, though.

Unless we have roster spots to throw away, I don't think we should be grabbing Banks. Practice squad? He doesn't qualify anymore does he... hmmm.

Beck bothers me - just his attitude. There's a reason Cam gave him up after the Dolphins did. Bartel's had some little problems, but overall he looks better to me....meh.

Henson was on another level last night, lol. That often ends in injury.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Moe looking at that list, I am gonna say we split the division, so thats 3-3. We probably can beat the Rams, Lions, Bucks and Jags, and I give us a 50/50 shot against the Texans Titans and Bears. But it would take a perfect game to best the Pack, Colts & Viking, not saying we can't do it but I won't hold my breath.

So I have us Maxing out at 10-6, but yes, odds are just as likely that we go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"Samson, nobody's looking for Banks to have Brian Mitchell-esque longevity. If he can have a career like the equally diminuitive Dante Hall, I'm sure few up here would be opposed to that.posted by brownwood26"

Supposedly Dante is still trying to get back in the league. He's a couple inches taller than Banks and listed at 188lbs. Maybe we could sign him...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Dik,

Banks just got out of college and we grabbed him as a UFA. He is still able to go on the PsQ.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Random thoughts on what I'd like to see:

#1. I think they need some more size at that WR. A couple of guys I liked that might be cut are Mitchell on the Browns, and Calhoun on the gints.

#2. I don't like the upright way Torain runs, it seems to take his power away. I prefer Williams over Torain. I'd like to see more youth and speed at the RB position. Browns are crunched with Davis and Jennings. Also Bills battle is with Bell and Simpson.

#3. I'd trade Carter to the Jags for Nelson (FS) who may be on the bubble down there, and roll with Alexander as starter opposite Rak and Wilson and Jackson as backup. Jackson has improved steadily improved. Picking up Nelson will likely mean the end of Horton in Redskin land.

#4. Vet Olman needed...badly

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Beck bothers me - just his attitude

and you could tell this through the tv how?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you should stick to reminding pimply teenagers when the fries are done at McDonalds beep-beep, I'm not saying the dude can turn his nervousness on and off, I'm saying some players take extra risks in preseason, like when a guy takes a kickoff 9 yards deep in the end zone and tries to return it. I understand games are won and lost with turnovers, but if you don't take a risk, how can there be any reward???
This is just a witchhunt for Banks, you all are sitting back like a bunch of yentas crying about him fumbling and wanting to play it safe. Well, in my book we played it safe for years when Randel El was back there, and how did that work out for us? He was slower, and didn't have that explosiveness that Banks has, plus he fumbled!!! Also, he wasn't much bigger than Banks, and I didn't see El get injured much. Just try and look at some positives instead of so many negatives.

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Beep, I'd like to wager - even if just a gentleman's agreement (how ironic) - that Banks makes the 53 man opening day roster.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

more room to recover a muff.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 8:54 AM

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS:

4th's Updated WR Spots:

1. Moss
2. Armstrong
3. DT11
4. Austin
5. Patrick Crayton

Banks to the PS

Serves as 2 things:

1. ST Qaulity WR
2. Info on Game 1 vs. Girls

BOOK IT!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

No NFL punt or kick returner is immune to fumble. B.Banks was not the only one that fumbled against the Cards, D.Thomas did too. The only thing I noticed wrong about Banks last night was over excitement or over anxiousness and lack of experience. An experienced returner would have let the punt go after back pedaling for so many yards, but he tried too hard to make something happen, and it cost him. I hope Shanahan can overlook that since fumbling problems can always be corrected, Tiki Barber of the NYG was corrected.

Posted by: abxinc | September 3, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 8:57 A

I agree. That's why I'd put him on the practice squad.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

You all are naive if you think Banks clears waivers, he'll never make it to the practice squad. Don't let him get away!!!! You take the chance and keep him, if he doesn't make it, so what, we have enough returners on this team to get by, and it's not like we were expecting him to be our no. 2 reciever anyway. But there's a lot of reward in him if we take that risk.

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 9:11 AM

Okay. That will make it interesting. I say he won't be on that roster. And to make the bet a real bet (gentleman, schmentalman) I will bet all of my blog credibility against all of yours, for two weeks. That means for the first two games everything I say will not only have my credibility behind it, but yours as well. And if you win? Won't happen.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

4th, while it makes some sense, I'm full up on Cowboy players coming here....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Really? Galloway is just gone? I thot he was the #2 guy..?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

haha! Count me in. just so you don't try to weasel out when, I mean if, I win - do you agree that "for the first two games everything I say will not only have my credibility behind it, but yours as well"?

Sorry, I'm not a lawyer but I play one in a government office (comforting, isn't it?)

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, Carter's going nowhere...he's got a no-trade clause.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

For those comparing Banks's fumble problems w/ Hester and AP, there's a big point that you're missing -- there's are technique/concentration issues, which are correctable. Banks's problmes are as much about his short, tiny arms that can't wrap around the ball and secure it with power -- and it's not as if they're going to grow.

Posted by: banskd | September 3, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

moe,
9-7 is kind of a generic prediction. it's a pretty unbelievable schedule... if pressed for which games we win, i'd say, rams, bears, bucs and jags. i'll say we split against the division, so that's 3 more wins, giving us 7. then i'm saying there will be two surprise wins against teams i've got no business predicting wins against....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 9:20 AM

There's an implicit threat here. Are you saying that you'll sue me or that you'll have my taxes audited?

You're welcome to my blog credibility for the rest of the year -- bet or no bet. Add it to your own cred and ... you're in a hole, cred-wise. Take my blog cred, please.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

No way Galloway should make this team and be the #2 @ 38 yrs old.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: banskd | September 3, 2010 9:22 AM

You can't coach speed and you can't coach long arms?

Hey, I've seen advertisements for penis enlargers and I'm thinking if he stuck his little arm in one of those that it would grow to a full 12 inches.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Hate to break it to ya 4th, but if we got Patrick Crayton there would be a good chance he'd be the #2 guy. Personally, I'd rather have Stokley but that's just me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Austin = Eddie Royal 2008

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Not that it means much, but Philadelphia looked pitiful against the Jets. 184 yards of total offense. Mike Kafka finished 9 of 27 for 76 yards. Vick was in for two series and came away with 3 points. NY held the ball for almost 34 minutes, even with 3 lost fumbles.

Kevin Kolb better stay healthy.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I am like the O-Lineman when it comes to opening up holes for that one liner. Consider me the Joe Jacoby of the worlds "Thats what she said."

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, Carter's going nowhere...he's got a no-trade clause.

Posted by: brownwood26

Forgot about that..thanks

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

No way Galloway should make this team and be the #2 @ 38 yrs old.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2010 9:27 AM

4th you can't deny the guy just because he's old. That's age discrimination and he'd win a suit bigger than AH's signing bonus.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"Austin = Eddie Royal 2008Posted by: 4thFloor"

Now that's what I call optimism. Psychotic optimism, perhaps, but optimism nonetheless.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: banskd | September 3, 2010 9:22 AM

Dante Hall and Darren Sproles say 'hi'...

I don't see how muffing a punt has anything to do with arm length, but whatever. Seems to me his arms were fine when he scored the only special teams TD of the preseason...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, Carter's going nowhere...he's got a no-trade clause.

Posted by: brownwood26

Forgot about that..thanks

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2010 9:30 AM

So what? All that means is you have to pay him to waive the clause. If he isn't traded it's because no one wants him, not because of a no-trade clause.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Dude does have tiny arms, not sure I would blame the fumbling on that, but whatever.
He should have some sort of nickname, I call T. Rex cause of his short arms, but I know he is short, so maybe Midget Rex, anyone want to throw one out there?

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 9:32 AM

His arms had an erection on that play. Usually, though, they're flaccid.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

You drive a hard bargain, beep...deal! Oh, and you can have all the blog cred and Star Wars action figures - I'll be down at 11th with the hot blonde.

And now for something anyone with any cred would agree on - is there a bigger d*uche-bag in college football (maybe all organized football) than Lane Kiffin? To say he rubs me the wrong way would be like saying I like Chipotle and blondes with large racks. Slight understatement.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I blame the fumble on the punt last night on him being about 20 yards too shallow when the ball was kicked. He should have just let that thing bounce and what have you.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 9:37 AM

T. Rex? I like to refer to him as Practice Squad Wrecks.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell fumbled 80 times?

Damn that's a lot! Had no idea he coughed up the rock that many times!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 3, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

AH92 in for the whole game? Attitude problem
looms during Dallas week. Not good. . .

Is Grossman that good that he didn't need
the reps last night? Or is DMcN that hurt that
they needed to protect his back-up? Gulp! This is not good during Dallas week either.

Posted by: DeployedFan | September 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey, if Chad Rinehart can get a nickname, then so can Banks.

Posted by: monk811 | September 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Damn that's a lot! Had no idea he coughed up the rock that many times!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 3, 2010 9:41 AM

How many touches do you think he had? He had 44 fumbles (lost 16 of them) in about 2200 rushes and receptions. So it's one in 50. He had 1070 returns with 33 fumbles, about one in 33.

Anybody want to put up the numbers for this year's version of Marcus Mason -- Brandon Banks?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

c'mon over to the new thread....

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | September 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

twisi

"I'd trade Carter to the Jags for Nelson (FS) who may be on the bubble down there,.."

Sounds like a plan.

And I'd start C Wilson at OLB in his place.

But AC's contract makes moving him difficult, and dude wants to be a redskin.

Giving a no-trade clause to a football player is just another bonehead FA decision made by the former Wizards of Redskins Park.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

twisi

Sounds like a plan.

And I'd start C Wilson at OLB in his place.

But AC's contract makes moving him difficult, and dude wants to be a redskin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So, 19-0, here we come.

Posted by: Section104 | September 3, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

cosign, and pass the kool-ade. It's Dallas week. HTTR.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 3, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell fumbled 80 times?

Damn that's a lot! Had no idea he coughed up the rock that many times!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 3, 2010 9:41 AM

That's my point...I went back and looked at his numbers and Devin Hester's. The number of special teams fumbles are kinda stunning:

Mitchell- 33 in 14 years
Hester- 20 in 4 years

They also have the most return TDs in NFL history so it can't be that big a deal...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"B.Banks was not the only one that fumbled against the Cards, D.Thomas did too."

When did Devin Thomas fumble? I didn't see him fumble, nor does it show in the box score that he fumbled. It showed Banks and Bartel fumbles.

Posted by: dbailey211 | September 3, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I think it would be a stretch, (at least to this point) to call this front office / coaching staff 'competent'. The decisions they have already made have been questionable at best, for example: a.) Why would they (or anyone, for that matter), give John Beck a contract extension? He has been marginal at best, and in the last three pre-season games, Bartel has thoroughly out played Beck, (because both he and Bartel stunk up the joint in the first pre-season game, which, I guess, is not out of the ordinary). And please spare me that 'he's just learning the system crap', because so is everybody else (except maybe Rex Gross-Man). Also Beck is 29?! -- That's just, flat out, a stupid move b.) Why cut Edwin Williams? The kid can play, and had out-played everyone else at the backup Guard spot; he also played center in College. The only reason I can see is that Shanny, and his valet, Mr. Allen, are committing the same offense they said they wouldn't, and that's keeping a draft pick, because you drafted him. I like Slevish Capers, but that kid is not a 'Guard' right now, and he easily clears waivers to make it to the practice squad. Cutting Edwin Williams was stupid and will prove costly, because what have you got in his place? Nada. c.) This stupid move is likely coming: either Devin Thomas or Chris Horton will be cut -- That is certain, but it is also STUPID. Horton won't be on the street 20 minutes; the guy is coming back from injury, and when he's healthy all he does is make plays. I'm sure the haters will pile on, but Reed Daughty (or what ever his name is) is a bum. I keep hearing about how 'smart' he is, well maybe he should become an accountant, because the guy is slower than molasses, and he couldn't cover a bed with a sheet. He also can't tackle, it would appear, as he has missed a bunch of tackles during the pre-season. But hey, he's smart, right? Who needs athletes who can play football, so long as they're smart? 'Skins fans may as well call him Reed Ashes, because he will be burned a lot this season. Meanwhile, Horton will be the newest Ryan Clark and/or Antonio Pierce and he will be a star for some other team. I only hope he plays for an NFC East team, so he can grind it into Shanny and Coach Has-been's faces. And in the off chance the ball bounces the other way, or if they cut BOTH Devin and Chris, you have to ask yourself: Who keeps Malcolm 'never played' Kelly and cuts Devin Thomas? No competent head coach does. I'm sure there will be a bunch of detractors right now, who totally disagree with my assesment, but as this season wears on, you folks are gonna start to see what I see and really start to dislike this elderly jerk of a Head Coach. 'Skins need new blood, not re-treads. And Allen is a lot of things, but to call him a competent personnel man in the NFL is, I think, the funniest thing I've ever heard!

Posted by: guisher | September 3, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

It all boils down, oddly enough, to how well the offensive line holds up and gels this year. If they can run the ball -- that will solve so many problems.

However, every single starter has a question mark attached. I'm not discussing the backups. If any of the potential backups are moved into starting roles things could get ugly in a hurry.

A related question is how the O-line's performance will impact McNabb's desire to remain in Washington, after the Redskins new regime gave up a 2nd and a 3rd/4th rounder for him.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 3, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Skins should just go on and get T.J. Housh... from Seattle yeah, he'll make $7 million this year but so what? it's an uncapped season Housh with Moss and Amrstrong would be alright

Posted by: coparker5 | September 3, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

BROWNWOOD26

Had a good game for a rookie UFA, not a third year second round draft choice. He'll make the team, but right now I'd only use him for KO returns and some spot receiver duty.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

We need to find some way to keep this kid with our team. IR, or practice squad, PUP list, something. If everyone on the field had played with his intensity, no one could have beaten us. Go Skins!

Posted by: TRACIETHEDOLPHIN | September 3, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Like I mentioned before shanahan wanted one of his old players, litchensteiger to make the team even though like someone mentioned he was getting pushed back at the line of scrimmage he is another weak but young so-called white center and rabach a weak old one. shanahan had practically a lilly white line in denver when they won SB's and trying to replicate it now. the few times I watched e. williams he never got pushed off the line even against the cowboys and these bigots allow a bums like c. rinehart and w. montgomery both of them weaklings to stay on the team one of them will probably make it. I can see why shanahan only won 24 games his last 3 yrs at denver.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 3, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

6-10 or 8-8. I dont see that. We lost 5 games last year by 3 points and another 2 games by 7 points.New staff with upgrades at qb,much better o line and much more aggresive d we should win 10 or 11 games.Just the new kicker should win 2 games where SS choked last year.

Posted by: cdking6 | September 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse