Report: CB Byron Westbrook released

Updated 8:56 a.m.

When the Redskins board an airplane today and head to Arizona for Thursday's final preseason game, they'll apparently do so without cornerback Byron Westbrook.

The team has released Westbrook, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Schefter's report was news to Westbrook, who apparently hadn't been told of his release this morning before news surfaced. In a text to ESPN 980 this morning, Westbrook said: ""my stuff is still here, so [I don't know]."

Reached for comment, a Redskins' spokesman would not confirm the Schefter report this morning.

The timing is a bit odd. The Redskins made four cuts on Tuesday, trimming their roster to 75, as required by league rules, and no more cuts are due until Saturday afternoon. So they either left for the Cardinals game with 74 players or they have plans to pick up a 75th very soon.

Westbrook would've been entering his fourth season with the Redskins. He spent all of 2006 and '07 on the practice squad but made the active roster last season. A big special teams contributor, Westbrook appeared in 15 games last year and started at cornerback against New Orleans. He had a role in four tackles on defense and 15 on special teams.

A DeMatha product who played his college ball at Salisbury, Westbrook had been battling Kevin Barnes, Justin Tryon and Ramzee Robinson for the team's fourth cornerback spot. Westbrook is the younger brother of San Francisco running back Brian Westbrook, a player the Redskins unsuccessfully pursued during the offseason.

By Rick Maese  |  September 1, 2010; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  preseason games
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth figures to see plenty of action vs. Arizona Cardinals
Next: Sources: Byron Westbrook still on team

Comments

California here we come !

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Not much of a surprise. I think the 'Skins let him go now so he could catch on as the 53rd man with another team. Maybe the Rams?

Couple of other teams need DB's so the 'Skins probably tried to trade him but couldn't even get a conditional pick. I bet he gets claimed off waivers.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 1, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I think Brandon Stokely is a Skin very soon.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 1, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Now that his brother is out of the division, we have no use for Byron anymore.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 1, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Only about two years late with this move...I guess now that his brother has signed elsewhere, he's outlived his usefulness (if he had any to begin with).

Co-sign with Flound...good reason to believe the Skins are leaving this spot open for Stokley if/when Denver cuts him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Is stokley a free agent?

Posted by: zjenks | September 1, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"Timing is a bit odd" Seriously, it's time to release the players who were almost good enough. Mason, (Gone) Marko (Gone) Colt (Gone) Westbrook (Gone) I don't want him playing DB,in a real game so who cares.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | September 1, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

The only thing I remember about Westbrook was the special teams gaff in Carolina that gave the Panthers the momentum and virtually cost us the game!

Posted by: joeboggs | September 1, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChrisWoody | September 1, 2010 8:09 AM

Exactly...I'm actually curious to see who comes on here stumping for Westbrook even though he's never done a damn thing in his career except tie up a spot on the practice squad. I'm just glad JLC isn't here to deify him like he did Leigh Torrance...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

flounder21

"I think Brandon Stokely is a Skin very soon."

I hope so.

And should it happen, who would be most affected: Galloway?, Williams?, Thomas?, Wade?, Armstrong?, or Banks?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 8:19 AM

This sounds like a challenge for .... BeantownGreg.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 1, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

The only thing memorable about him to me was his first initial and his last name. He may float around to a couple teams (ala Marko) before being relegated to a sub-NFL league.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | September 1, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Watch him go & catch a ring like Torrence & Brunell... hahahahaa.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 1, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Watch him go & catch a ring like Torrence & Brunell... hahahahaa.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 1, 2010 8:26 AM |

A ring they had as much to do with as I did.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 1, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"The nine-year veteran has told friends he is determined to have an outstanding season, and he's trying to get it started right." (from the previous post)

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA [pausing to breathe]

Posted by: farstriker | September 1, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

He contributed a lot to special teams--most specifically last year when he was jammed into ARE on a punt return and basically costing the team the game.

He can be someone else's Keon Lattimore.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 1, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Is stokley a free agent?

Posted by: zjenks | September 1, 2010 8:08 AM

Not yet...but he's widely considered on the way out of Denver as part of their on-going youth movement.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"...I'm actually curious to see who comes on here stumping for Westbrook even though he's never done a damn thing in his career except tie up a spot on the practice squad."

I think BA is making roster space so the team can snag a player as of next week's final cut.

You know like I do, there will be some unexpected cuts, and a vet receiver, linemen, or linebacker will wind up a redskin.

Or at least I hope so.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Too bad, I had hoped he would be a diamond in the rough, never understood why they didn't have him play RB rather than DB. Since we heard 2x a year that his job in practice was to impersonate his brothers roll with philly, you would think having a pass catching back would have helped when the team was down to our 4th string RB's last season.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

notice I said catch, not earn. Well, at least Leigh saw the field for more than just place kicking.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 1, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99

Funny, the only thing I'll remember about Westbrook is him getting roughed into ARE that resulted in a muffed punt.

*LOL* "muffed"...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

alex

"I had hoped he would be a diamond in the rough,...."

I agree.

But sometimes a lump of coal remains a lump of coal no matter how much pressure is put on it.

That's why diamonds are so hard to find.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 8:23 AM

Galloway...there has to be a limit on how many over-the-hill 30-somethings on one roster. Right?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Another person I'd hope to see develop into a "diamond in the rough" type player. It'll be an interesting 3-5 days fir the Skins as BA and Shanny reshapes this team

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

If all the mines in Africa were to put all the diamonds they have on the market, it would become a relatively low cost stone. Its an artificially inflated market, much like the value of NFL rookies which has gone up due to the failure of the NCAA to have more teams run pro-offences.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise tweeted that Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders will be signing with the Redskins today. Accurate, factual, responsible journalism. No doubt about it. Thank you Mike.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 1, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why Den would get rid of Stokley. Their WR cops is horrible. Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, and Brandon Loyd are their three deep...
After that it gets even worse and very young, all of their other WR are either rookies or second year player. I think they keep Stokley around.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

His brother going to SF cost him a job hahah. Curious to see if we did get his bro would he still have a job?

Posted by: Joker99z | September 1, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

alex

"It's an artificially inflated market, much like the value of NFL rookies which has gone up due to the failure of the NCAA to have more teams run pro-offences."

This is so freakin' true.

And whatever happened to all that chatta about a rookie wage scale, anyways?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

If I were Mike Wise, I'd keep my head low...that guy was a no account hack to begin with, no he's got less credibility than Matt Leinart in the Cardinals' huddle...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joker99z | September 1, 2010 8:56 AM

Good question...but considering he was one of the first cuts...probably not.

Man oh man...I'm sorry that I didn't stay up til 4am for ArmchairGM's rants...tell me to shut up...clown...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

mike Wise

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Wow, JC gets no respect...looks like the Raiders are in the mix to trade for Matt Leinart...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Lloyd and Royal aren't half bad for the Broncos. And don't be talking about dudes that were born in Alexandria in a negative way, Stu27!

Still, FLloyd though.

Worst. Trade. In. 'skins. History.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

And whatever happened to all that chatta about a rookie wage scale, anyways?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

It will be in the next CBA, trust me on that. Its the 1 thing both the owners and the players seem to agree on, now they just need to figure out the scale. I had worked out a scale at one point... Its probably in a spread sheet on my home computer.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:04 AM |

Brown,

I thought JC was injured maybe it's worse then we know.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 1, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

This is so freakin' true.

And whatever happened to all that chatta about a rookie wage scale, anyways?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Moe, it's basically a done deal. That's why you don't hear much chatta about it.

It's one of the few issues that owners/players agree on, and they've already exchanged proposals.

The basic trade-off is this: A rookie wage scale will be imposed and, in return, the owners will agree to put more $$ into player's retirement.

Everyone wins.

Posted by: p1funk | September 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Soooo…..he might be cut but he might not be cut. This explains a lot.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 1, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:04 AM |

An AZ fan was moaning about Matt Leinart and how all he does is check the ball down - 60% completion, but his longest throw of preseason is 18 yards.

He was then talking about how AZ should have pursued Jason Campbell in the offseason.

???? I was like...Check down??? Have you EVER watched Jason Campbell play???

Posted by: p1funk | September 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

If it's true, my only objection is that he found out from the media, not from the team. I guess there's no good way to find out that you're unemployed. Maybe it wasn't the 'Skins fault that the info leaked, but if it came from a team source, it's a pretty bush league way to do business.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | September 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 8:55 AM

They're getting younger...rolling the dice that Tebow is better than Cutler and that Demaryious Thomas will be better than Marshall. They like Royal and BLloyd enough that Stokley is expendable.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Still, FLloyd though.

Worst. Trade. In. 'skins. History.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Whatevs, i bet you rock B Loyd albums all the time.
Roayal is the only legit receiver their, which is why i think they keep stiokley. Royal made a good choice not playing at TC though dude went Paul VI and Westfield HS route.
So money at Tech though...

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I see Denver doing what the skins did last year. 4-12.

The Leinart story had an interesting quote: Leinart admitted that the problem "probably goes beyond football."

Is he on the smack? The crack? the Dope? The white Christmas? Shooting heroin into his scrod?

I am gonna guess if they are mental issues he goes to Buffalo, where football players go to cure the crazies.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 8:55 AM

It's a total rebuilding project over there, and they've got a bunch of young WRs they want to play - other rookies besides Demaryius Thomas like Eric Decker.

Jabar Gaffney is the vet to keep. He and Josh McDaniels go back to New England days, and Gaffney knows the offense well.

Posted by: p1funk | September 1, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh and Tom Brady needs to stop wearing that hair piece.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Funny how those goat-molesting Cowboys fans have disappeared off RI. I foresee humilations galore for Mr. Romo and company in 11 days.

F DALLAS! F them, I say. They should take and move the whole franchise to Florida, along with their fans. Finally, they will find happiness in a state where sex with animals is legal. It's the least JJ could do for them.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 1, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

my money is on us picking up Marko Mitchell. Vikings dropped him yesterday and we're in serious need of a tall WR.

Posted by: db73 | September 1, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

F DALLAS! F them, I say. They should take and move the whole franchise to Florida, along with their fans. Finally, they will find happiness in a state where sex with animals is legal. And they can stop worrying about the fact that on Sunday, September 12, Dallas will be driven around FedEx like a wheelbarrow.

It's the least JJ could do for them.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 1, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

???? I was like...Check down??? Have you EVER watched Jason Campbell play???

Posted by: p1funk | September 1, 2010 9:16 AM

LOL...you just can't make that stuff up.

I've always said that JC would look good playing for a team like AZ or Carolina or SF that will run the ball, play solid D, and simply ask him not to f*ck it up. So while I agree with that Cardinals fan that they should have made a run a JC, it seems to me Leinart is the kind of game manager they need. If they can't wait to get rid of him, he must be a massive d-bag that's rubbing that entire organization the wrong way...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:23 AM

Haha...if thats true then maybe I'll send my girlfriend up there for a while...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I never even listed to 16 bars from Brandon Lloyd.

A full circle:

Brandon Lloyd = Lloyd Banks = Brandon Banks

Posted by: RedDMV | September 1, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I've been to Buffalo - sure, if you're nuts, you're scared sane...

... but if'n you're normal - - man, it's creepy.

lol. Ahm Rack James, B33tch!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh and Tom Brady needs to stop wearing that hair piece.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:26 AM

Hair piece? That's not a helmet?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

In not saying ill be shocked if they do release Stokley, i got my money on A Arnett as the rookie sleeper to make their team. But i dont think Stockleys status has anything to do with us cutting Byron right now.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: db73 | September 1, 2010 9:26 AM

I don't want the Skins to pick up Marko Mitchell, Marcus Mason, Colt B etc. It's time to move on from these marginal guys who haven't shown that they can learn the small things to make and/or stay on an NFL roster.

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Haha...if thats true then maybe I'll send my girlfriend up there for a while...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse
Your Girflriends a football player?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003

Yeah dpc,I noticed that too.PamperTex,Dallasinthedmv,MrIrvin88,and Peterbilt are all on milk cartons this week.Guess after they looked at the Texans game they all got a big cold glass of shut the hell up.

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Re: B.Westbrook: seriously, if he can't beat out J.Tryon as the 4th cornerback, then he should be gone.

Posted by: kelly20 | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

All other skins beats reporting westbrook NOT cut.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Great post on Facebook's Hating the Dallas cowboys page:

If you rearrange the letters in "Dallas Cowboys", you get "woody ball sacs". I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Denver is very mile-high on Demarius, and that Eric Decker was a one man wrecking crew for the Gophers last year..Good chance Stokely is the odd man out and we grab him..

Posted by: frak | September 1, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Let the bad jokes begin: the white redskin tight end died of AIDS contracted in homosexual sex.

Wow: this isn't even funny.

Or is it?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm willing to give a solid vet like you the benefit of the doubt Moe and assume this is a rhetorical question and you being ironic, but I'll still answer- no, it's not funny. I'm not saying I've never made a gay joke in my life but not about a Redskin, and a great one at that. If he'd been a Cowboy, it'd be a different story (joking...sorta).

Even less funny is that criminal fact that this guy isn't in the HOF. He was before my time but his numbers speak for themself. Not sure if it has anything to do with his sexuality but it's hard to imagine it doesn't. Sad if so.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

All other skins beats reporting westbrook NOT cut.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM

Shefter should be suspended...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow: this isn't even funny.

Or is it?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: db73 | September 1, 2010 9:26 AM

You think the Shanahans have been regretting releasing this guy the Lions and Vikings have both now turned their nose up to? (especially in light of the vikings' injury and migraine problems at the WR position) I know he looked great against those scrubs last pre season, but let it go Marko lovers. He's obviously NOT NFL quality. How much proof do you need?

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 1, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Can I ask, why do you guys think if Stokely is released we should sign him? For one, because the Rams had the worst record, they have first dibs on anyone released. I can assure you, if this kind of reciever becomes a free agent they will sign him.

Also, why do we need a Slot WR? You guys forget this is Kyle's system, his system exceled with a 6ft 4 outside Wide Out in Andre Johnson. Which is why they wanted to keep Kelly...

Santana in slot is uncoverable. Just go and look at the Ravens game. We put him in slot and he was wide open.

We need a big WR to put on the outside...which is why I think they HAVE to pursue V. Jackson. Hopefully D. Thomas steps up also, b/c he is a big, speed guy. He may also be our best blocking WR.

V. Jackson is also a great blocking WR. So if we are able to put DT11 and VJ83 as X and Y, the put SM89 in slot...that does wonders for your passing and running game.

I may prefer a younger guy in Stokely then Galloway. But I really want a big outside WR. Im not worried about slot.

Posted by: roccoskins | September 1, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse