Redskins morning practice postponed

The rain has postponed today's morning Redskins practice until 2 p.m., wiping out the normally scheduled afternoon session. The session remains open to the public and will last approximately two hours. Parking and admission are free.

The forecast calls for rain in Ashburn throughout the day, so please check back for further changes.

With the change in schedule, the flow at Redskins Insider may be a bit different today. We'll have words from Mike Shanahan and news on whether Albert Haynesworth returned to workouts later in the day.

Training camp closes Thursday with a final 8:30 a.m. practice that's open to the public. The Redskins' annual "Welcome Home Luncheon" is Friday, with the only remaining home preseason game Saturday against Baltimore.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 18, 2010; 7:19 AM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carlos Rogers embraces role in Redskins' 3-4 defense
Next: The Redskins' wide receivers: another breakdown

Comments

first...maybe someone up there decided we dont need the practice..

Posted by: aorchard | August 18, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to wonder if we're missing too many practices this training camp...hopefully the work in OTAs is enough that it doesn't matter.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow, looks like loseable type is also adding type to my comments...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

"The strongest muscle in the human body...Is the Human Mind."

I understand that.

But I bet the rectum is running a close second in that contest.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 7:26 AM
------------------------------------------
The thing that struck me about the last game was how well coached the players were. There wasn't a lot of confusion, and even though the offense and defense are still works in progress, I think everyone knew where they were supposed to be. In other words, missing a practice here and there is probably not going to hurt these guys. Shanahan is very organized and runs brisk, focused practices. He's very efficient. I think he's also smart enough to realize the age of his team and the need for not wearing them out the older guys in the preseason.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"The thing that struck me about the last game was how well coached the players were. There wasn't a lot of confusion, and even though the offense and defense are still works in progress..."

That comes from running practices in a 'game situation' format where you stop drives to do special teams work, then go back to 11-on--11 scrimmaging.

The team is really, really, really being well-coached now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

(INSERT scene. The end of a Cincinnati Bengals' passing drill practice).

rookie: Ochocinco, I'm tired.

Do I really have to carry your pads?

Ochocinco: Yep.

rookie: What about the bloody ones?

Ochocinco(looking over his shoulder, disgusted): Oh, those aren't mine.

The bloody pads belong to T.O..

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

You're right about the game, RSH...I just don't want our guys feeling too good about themselves after that game or taking anything for granted with practice. I'm sure Shanahan is keeping them guarded about it, but I guess I still worry after years of seeing mismanagement at the HC level. Here's hoping this is just me being punch drunk...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I think I'm hoping the Ravens serve the Redskins a large (injury-free) slice of humble pie Saturday night. Pre Season Week 2 is the perfect time for it. A team with this many veterans will put it in the right perspective and use it as fuel for the fire for the 3 weeks leading up to September 12. If whipping the Bills was good for confidence, having the tables turned on them this week could be even more helpful.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

really mcoleman, I'm hoping the redskins come out and play great, and have another good showing...I actually never want them to get their butts handed to them....but thats just me...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Having the guys there for the offseason program was key, and one of the reasons why Shanny's gone "light" in some of the training camp sessions, but it makes sense.

If you can incrementally develop the strength/stamina of the players over a longer period of time, I'd think they'd be less injury prone and in better shape; rather than bringing them in from an offseason of inactivity and then shocking them with a brutally hard camp.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Well, I would enjoy watching that too Beantown...just speculating what would be best in the long run. During Gibbs I, weren't some of the best teams bad in the preseason? If Shanahan feels the need to stop practice Monday to say he's seeing a lack of concentration and intensity, wouldn't a bitter taste in the starters' mouths Sunday morning make that point for him? Who knows? Maybe I'm overthinking it and just too anxious for the games that matter.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Last week I posted a few comments about the Redskins that were not well received.

As I said before, I don't come from a position of hate when I comment on the Redskins. I come to your Insider blog as someone who has a little bit of a soft spot for you long-suffering, doe-eyed dreamers. Let's just call it a "There, but for the grace of God, go I" sort of thing.

That said, here are my observations from the Bills game:

Your starters on offense and defense looked like Harry Highschoolers and the next time Hall and Carter don't get fooled on basic misdirection plays will be the first. I will admit that your 2d, 3d and 4th teamers had decent performances. I would even go so far as to say that if the Redskins ever defected to the CFL, I would pencil them in as solid contenders for the Grey Cup based their subs' performances. Sadly, they're not in Canada.

In closing, I remind you that your 4-wheel bandwagon has at least two wheels missing. The Ravens games should convince even the dullest among you that you've got a long way to go. You are the proud owners of the worst thumping in NFL history, Bears over Redskins 73-0, and September 12 will remind you that very little has changed. Never forget where you come from.

Star Pride!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | August 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I think being one of the laughingstock's of the NFL over the past couple seasons has given the veterans perspective enough.

I'm with Bean on this one.

This team has eaten humble pie and had their butts handed to them plenty. And the Ravens have frankly owned the Skins.

Count my vote for hoping they give that donkey Ray Lewis a bloody nose and walk off the field with some swagger for once.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Disagree MColeman...especially since the Ravens aren't serving anything but lots of long completions for their opponents since they're one CB injury away from calling you to suit up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"Another thing is that the skins haven't really had a lot of injuries in camp as the cancelled practices and light afternoon schedule (no hitting in heavy pads) has kept the team off the ground."

IMO that's a smart thing. If you have a lot of vets, worst thing you can do is start hitting too soon. But many new coaches want to make their mark on a team's personality with a show of toughness.

By they way, anyone notice the articles yesterday on ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) possibly being concussion-related?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 18, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Bean - I'm with you in that I never want the Skins to have their a$$' handed to them...but at the same time I could care less about the final outcome just as long as the #1's play decent football against the Ravens #1's.

Oh, and more importantly everyone comes out injury free again.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Ladell Betts signs with Saints for 1 year.

I guess if you're an ex-Skin your primary destinations are New Orleans and Oakland, and I bet the new Orleans guys are chuckling at the Oakland guys.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

And the Ravens have frankly owned the Skins.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I believe we're 1-3 against the Ravens...harldy "owned" considering one win going the other way and we'd be 2-2.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

During Gibbs I, weren't some of the best teams bad in the preseason?

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 8:15 AM

I think you need to place a preseason game in proper perspective...take the Colts/Niners game from the other day: Colts starters run up a 10-0 lead, and when the starters come out the Niners put up about 34 unanswered points. Even though the Colts got beat and lost the game, the starters looked good and "won" their portion of the game.

I don't remember preseasons of Redskins season past, but I'd think that Gibbs saw what he wanted to see of the starters and let the scrubs go at it thereafter...and to the detriment of winning the game.

So I'm more interested in seeing our starters "win" the first quarter of the game and I couldn't give a crap less if they win or lose anytime thereafter. We could lose the rest of our preseason schedule so long as the starters "win" while they're on the field and (above all else) stay healthy in the process.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

From NFL.com:

"During the offseason, Romo and Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett reviewed what worked and what didn't last season, then discussed why. That led to some tweaks of the playbook to make sure they're emphasizing their strengths."

The article also indicates that:

"He (Romo) has moved the ball on every drive he has had this preseason, but he hasn't produced a touchdown, and neither has anyone else on the Dallas Cowboys."

Smokey says: Let Romo help tweak the offense all day long. From where I'm standing, or sitting, the offense looks great to me.

F Dallas.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | August 18, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Ladell Betts signs with Saints for 1 year.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:20 AM

What's funny is that right now the Saints employ our 1st and 2nd round picks from the '02 draft (Ramsey and Betts).

I mean funny as in ironic, not as in haha funny.

Actually, it's just f-ed up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

If only there was someone who could invent a way for teams to practice when it is raining.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

1-3, three of those games were played at FedEx. The one game played at M/T the Skins lost 24-10 and it was pretty demoralizing with Portis getting manhandled by Ed Reed (eventually getting benched) and Rogers getting burned on a crucial TD on a double-move.

When a team comes into your home and takes 2 out of 3 and then embarrasses you in their home, you've been owned.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly Gibbs would run pre-seasons like some guys run a practice. He had his plays he wanted to try out regardless of down and distance. If Joe wanted to see if his QB's and WR could execute a play/rout whatever, he would just call it.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

F Dallas.

Posted by: smokeybear2

I've noticed this pre season that Romo has gone from getting down on himself to directing his frustration at teammates. This change hasn't affected his general whiney countenance and that sourpuss he walks around with. (except when he's slurping Favre before games)I'm hoping he does it after getting sacked for the 3rd time in the 1st half Sept 12 and elicits a reaction from a frustrated, over-matched o-lineman that causes their offense to melt down the way all of their drives have been in the redzone this pre season.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"And the Ravens have frankly owned the Skins."

That's because they have in scouting what we have in history and rings.

The minute the ravens franchise falls on hard times, its fanbase will bury the deadbirds, and put back on them ol' redskins jerseys they still got up in the closet.

Trust me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah...that 73-0 game was brutal...I left at halftime even though it was only 28-0...I listened to the rest of the game on the radio in the parking lot...was tired of paying 10 cents a beer on the inside.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I think this new regime is finally going to address the lack of an indoor practice facility. Which is only about a decade or so overdue...

pfunk, I know we better beat the jailbirds in 2012...it's ridiculous to lose to those guys 3 times the way we did...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 8:38 AM
-----------------------------------------
Wasn't there some discussion about building a practice bubble? I understand not having the guys risk injury during the preseason by practicing in the wet stuff, but it seems strange to me that Snyder is willing to spend so much money on players and stadium improvements, but would neglect something like a practice bubble. He's probably just trying to figure out how to make money with it by making it multi-purpose: hockey, basketball, etc.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, WAIT A MINUTE!

Did I read that headline right? Practice postponed due to a little rain? Cadavers have a lot of fears/problems (being worm-infested, turning into ashes/dust, etc.). Who knew rain was one of them? LMAO!!

The last time I looked, UPS Stadium was open to the elements. If it rains for the season opener, I guess the game will be 'postponed' and everybody can just stand around and watch Haynesgirth eat that huge mound of buttermilk biscuits we plan on planting in a very conspicuous spot near the end zone.

Anyhoo, ESPN reported that McNabb and the Deadskins are talking about a contract extension for McNabb, who hasn't done a thing in a Deadskins uniform. Proof positive that Danny Snyder is still in charge, not Tranny and Allen. Hell, I bet that Banks kid is about to ink the NFL's only fully guaranteed, multi-year contract based on his preseason performance against Buffalo! LMAO!!

Y'all are so funny!

Hell
To
The
Deadskins

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 18, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

F Dallas.

Posted by: smokeybear2

The issue with 'Girls is the Oline.

Romo and Garrett can have as many pajama parties as they want and giggle about the plays they like, but if your Oline doesn't hold up, who cares.

Marc Colombo looks poised to have a Jon Jansen type of meltdown season where age/injuries/wear-tear just catch up with him.

Replacing Flozell Adams with Doug Free is not exactly a "solution" at left tackle.

When your idea of bolstering the like is to get Alex Barron - a guy who basically got run off of the worst team in the NFL - you have Oline problems.

I think Dallas will be fun to watch this year. Not because of all the broo-ha about the people at their "skill" positions, but because it's always entertaining to watch Romo run for his life, serve up extra pickles, get sack-fumbled at those crucial moments, and then get the sideline shot of Wade Phillips with that helpless impotent look on his face that says "crap, Jerry's gonna be pissed!".

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

what was columbo carted off the field for, what was the injury diagnosis...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@BigBlueStar

Now tell them how you REALLY feel about them! LOL!!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 18, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

If you listen to the interviews, it sounds to me like they want to build a serious Indoor facility more than just a bubble. But I mean, people yelled at Vinny about it on his first episode of his radio show. I remember because I was one of them.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the o-line, Dallas does seem to be following the Cerrato plan for team building, don't they?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 18, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM

I don't know Moe...the vast majority of the Ravens fans I know HATE the Redskins, so I doubt that happens. Unless, of course, you're talking about the Skins fans that swore off Snyder and jumped ship for "the other hometeam"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, WAIT A MINUTE!

Y'all are so funny!

Hell
To
The
Deadskins

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 18, 2010 8:50 AM
------------------------------------------
I know I shouldn't respond to your dumba-- bs remarks, but I just think some of them are so stupid that I have to respond. First off, the Redskins don't have a practice bubble like the Cowgirls, who thanks to Texas engineering, had the whole thing fall down on their heads last year. Of course, then the brilliant Jerry Jones has another group of Texas engineers put the scoreboard too low in the new stadium so that the punters hit it half of the time. Can't wait to see a Superbowl punt called back for a "do over" because it hit Jerry's scoreboard.

As far as Banks and McNabb are concerned, I got news for you: our rookie receiver scored a touchdown in his first game - what did Dallas' rookie receiver do? Oh yeah, that's right. He couldn't play because of a yeast infection or something. I heard that McNabb was going to have a contract that had $500k incentives for every touchdown completed. So far, he would have $500k. If Tony Romo had that same contract, so far this year he would be broke. Romo couldn't find the end zone with a blood hound and a GPS.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"...what was columbo carted off the field for, what was the injury diagnosis..."

They had to remove floating material from a knee and add backbone to his spine.

Like most cowboys, he suffers from a condition called "Lack of Fortitude-itis" which usually manifests itself in shrunken testicles and excessive whining.

Keith Brooking had a bad case of this after the Vikings beatdown last year in the playoffs where he complained about everything but the faults of his own team.

Such is life in Cowboy Land.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Bean,

Colombo needs to get his knee scoped and cleaned - will be out 2-4 weeks. Last season he missed the last 7 games with an ankle injury.

Apparently, Alex Barron also has a sprained ankle, so he's not going to get much run in the next preseason game either.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I actually watched the Ravens game on Thursday night. What can I say I am a football junkie. Their corners were not too bad. They actually got a pretty good pass rush against Carolina's decent oline.

That being said they will not keep their starters in long because they have nothing to gain. They are a team that has had little turnover so they don't need the reps. Probably a quarter for the offense and even less for star defensive players like Ngata and Lewis.

This will be a good test for the skins offense as their second team defense looked better than most most first team defenses with the exception of their secondary.

Their oline did not look good. Both the first and second team had all kinds of communication issues and letting guys come free.

I think this is a good next game after the Buffalo game. They got to ease into the games with a cream puff and now will get a bit more stout competition.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 18, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

So if it rains there's not practice? I guess it's safe to say it will never rain during a football game.....

Posted by: hbu_dog | August 18, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

PPS, I would much rather a real indoor facility over some cheep bubble, I would not want to see it cave in under bad weather and anyone get hurt. Only a cheep bast@rd of an owner would build something that could have that happen, I think Snyder is lawsuit adverse.

As I am a total dork, a few years back I used Google sketch up 3D rendering software and drawing up a real indoor facility on the side of the current practice fields.

Basically it was a 5,000 seat indoor stadium with L shaped bleachers around a single field. I imagine that the fans who love to go to practices would appreciate that.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Trust me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM

I don't know Moe. The Ravens just fit Baltimore so well. Between the ugly azz unis and the creepy name...it's a match made in Pergatory. When you think of B-more...what comes to mind ...after Crack, STD's, stinking harbor water, and crime dramas that highlight what portal to hell the place is? That's right...the consolation prize that is the Cleveland Ravens. That sould carry them through a rough patch or two.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe you guys are taking the bait on these Cowpie fans...I mean, how do you not see we're talking more Cowdungs stuff than Skins stuff right now?

C'mon people...be smart. We're better than them!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

C'mon people...be smart. We're better than them!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I dont' follow baseball, but I've been reading about this kid the Nats just signed.

Sounds like we just landed Kenny Powers.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 18, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

George: Shouldn't you be at work by now?
Newman: Work? It's raining!
George: So?
Newman: I called in sick. I don't work in the rain!
George: You don't work in the rain? You're a mailman! "Neither rain nor sleet nor..." It's the first one!
Newman: I was never that big on creeds.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Canceling and postponing practices left and right. I guess Shanahan proved everything he need to prove against the Bills (*sarcasm*).

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 18, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Ravens fans need to get over this paranoid theory that the Skins were the ones that moved the Colts to Indy. There is no proof.

And as bitter as I am as a Nats fan for the pro-active way that the O's tried to stop us from getting a baseball team. I think Washingtonians are more happy that we got what we wanted.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

thanks guys...

oe, Bryce Harper is legit....5 tool player...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"Sounds like we just landed Kenny Powers."

Austin Powers is his brother.

But unlike him, all the Nats want him to do is shag balls.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:05 AM

If there's any truth to this, you really are a dork.

But you're our dork...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 18, 2010 9:11 AM

I'm sure they are doing something constructive with their time...I hope.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I cannot think of a NFL player who ever came out and was as legit as Harper is for the MLB.

The hype is reminiscent of Mike Vick.

And Bean, from what I hear Harper is so good that he has 2 extra tools that the team doesn't even plan on using.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Not many 'Eastbound and Down' fans up here, I guess.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 18, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

al, i heard they were switching him to r/f, to keep his knee's fresh..he also won the college baseball equivalent of the Heisman at a junior college.....thats impressive...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Bean/Alex

Not much of a baseball buff, but what I'm hearing about this Harper kid is pretty nice.

I understand the logic of taking someone like Strasburg and letting him have his run in the minors before bringing him up to pitch.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:05 AM

Nice job alex. Is there a waiting list for these seats yet? Hope they don't pull that PSL bs!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure they are doing something constructive with their time...I hope.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

First quick question, did you have an old handle?

Second, I hear they are going to spend the rainy day like we used to in Summer camp. Put "BIG" in the VCR and everyone drinks hot coco while doing arts and crafts.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

We've played the Ravens 4 times over a span of what, 12 years? How can you use that as a barometer for being owned?

So, the Skins are 3-1 lifetime against Jacksonville...so you would say we own them too?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:11 AM

I think it stems more from this inferiority complex they have about D.C. If you listen to people from Balamer talk, you'd think D.C. is some evil empire. Seems like they have a problem with the city, not just the team.

I don't even get why the Redskins would care what the Colts were doing...I mean, the Colts moved while the Skins were winning SBs so I don't get why they'd give a crap about Baltimore.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:05 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't see anything wrong with the practice bubbles as long as you don't let some Texas engineer develop it. They have those bubbles all over the place up here. They usually use them for the hockey rinks, but we used to have one up our way that was a four hole golf course, which came in handy in the winter time. Without a doubt, a true indoor facility would be the cat's pajamas.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 18, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I like the way our preseason schedule works out. We really need to put that Buffalo game in proper perspective, Buf is terrible and young, they might be the worst team in football this year. With all the vets we have we should have owned that game like we did.
People can keep on dissing on the Ravens secondary but their D is still legit. They will test us on the O-line and I dont think that their secondary situation is as desperate as some claim it to be. Zibakowiski is prob better then anyone in our secondary and he was a backup until Reed got surgery. They will test us in the run game as well. And their Offense with Bolden will give us a chance to see how physical our D can be.
After that we get the Jets who may have the best D in the NFL this year. The starters get the most time against a solid Jets team all around. Then round is out with ARZ.

Either way we will know a lot more about the true nature of this team after these next two games. That Buffalo game really needs to be put in the past now that we face some actual teams.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 18, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 9:25 AM

Not at all...they evened the score when they got a 3rd round pick from us for Mark Brunell...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The Cowboys practice when it rains.

You would think Daniel Snyder, for all the money he has spent, would have a practice facility for these occasions so that the players could continue to work on physical aspects of the game. What did Snyder recently do? He bought big videoscreens. Like Jerry Jones. ROTFL.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Posted by: dallasinthedmv | August 18, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 9:25 AM

Oh yeah - it's common knowledge among NFL historians that the Redskins have historically owned the Jags throughout NFL history. Everyone knows that.

There, three usages of a variation of "history" in one sentence. And I haven't even had coffee yet.

Posted by: Section104 | August 18, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse
There is a lot of reasons but on hitting. With each level you go up the pitchers are better, not just better players but smarter. Baseball isn't just about physical ability its mental ability.

As good as he is, Harpers probably faced only 1-2 pitchers who have stuff remotely close to what they have in the majors, so far.

Here is what happens, (simplified) A guy goes to Class-A, starts out hitting about .200 against those pitchers... eventually gets used to the quality of play and is batting .400 so they send him up to AA, and repeat that trend.

How quickly Harper goes through is depending on how he plays. If he is as great as they say, he could go from Single A to AAA before his 19th birth day.

Also they want him to learn to play RF instead of catcher for a longer career, that takes time too.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 18, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Apparently so.

You seem to have a different definition of "own" which is fine since it is a very loose term.

I personally don't think you need to play a team 25 times before you can determine who is getting the better of whom in the matchups.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

p1, its a confidence thing, he could get brought up and be completely overmatched.....jr college to the show is a HUGE jump....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

First quick question, did you have an old handle?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:23 AM

Nope...why do you ask? Oh man...I hated those indoor days at camp...making those stupid plastic braclets...wonder if AH and DHall are playing pattycake as we speak?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Totally OT,

Anyone here use Gamefly? Penn Gilette is offering a free subscription and I just wanted to know if it's worth it.

challa.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Stu, the Ravens are still good but I don't think they're SB good like people are saying...their DB situation is every bit as dire as is stated. Ed Reed may or may not play AT ALL this season, and even if he does he's probably not the same guy. Foxworth is out for the year and the next two guys up are coming off season ending knee injuries. So yeah, it's pretty bad.

And Boldin helps their offense to be certain, but if you look around that unit there's not a lot of speed. Boldin's a lot of things, but a burner isn't one of 'em.

Their schedule isn't the toughest ever, but it's not easy either. I'd be shocked if this team wins more than 10 games or advances beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Star Pride!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | August 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

There will be a Star Pride parade through Dupont on Sept. 12th...BigBlueStar with be the Grand Marshal donning her Silver and Blue (which has officially replaced the rainbow).

Posted by: HTTR | August 18, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I remember that too. Just be thankful you could drive at all because next year with the War and all they started with those blasted ration cards.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 18, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I woke up awfully optimistic this morning.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction

Lot of guys change SN's when the new season starts, and your's seemed new, so just asking.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Star pride.... like Gay pride, but gay.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Everywhere ive hears it says Reed will play this season may even play opening game. Foxworth is the ONLY guy they are losing this year. A lot of teams have players coming off season ending injury.

Mark Clayton is burner he is one of them, Stallworth is also very complementary to their playing style. Rice is a beast. really they were one decent reciever from being very dangerous last year. Keep in mind they went 6-0 in their divisions, that will obv change this year but sleepiong on that team is a bad decision.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 18, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Changing your screen name...

... like Gay Pride, but gay!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Star pride.... like Gay pride, but gay.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh, why did I find that so Fing funny!

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The Ravens run the ball and they stop the run. That will keep them in almost every game that they play.

If Flacco/Boldin and the passing game can take some kind of step forward; it has the makings of a pretty formidable team, even if the secondary does take a step back.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Star pride.... like Gay pride, but gay.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

We don't nickname them the "Brokebacks" for nothing.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I woke up awfully optimistic this morning.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM

How about 11-5 optimistic ! Hang in there hess, I hope you're right about this upcoming season. I feel we have the right coach, now that I see his work unfolding. My girlfriend lived in Denver when Shanahan was the Bronco's coach, and she loves the guy. HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I understand that.

But I bet the rectum is running a close second in that contest.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 7:40 AM

Moe, you kill me.

Posted by: edvar | August 18, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

It's so "Daniel Snyder" to spend multi-millions buying huge videoscreens to "enhance the game-day experience for fans" instead of building an indoor practice facility to "enhance the chances of winning" by letting guys practice when the weather's bad. Nobody told him fans enjoy nothing more than winning?

Best guess for 9/12:

Cowboys 35
Redskins 3 (meaningless, end-of-game FG)

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | August 18, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I am in a good mood this morning too. I think it's because a good rain storm allows me to justify wearing my Indiana Jones style Fedora into work.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 18, 2010 9:40 AM

Well I took the trolley and met up with some friends for the tailgate...really thought the skins would take that game...just gave da bears too much bulletin board material I guess.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

woke up awfully optimistic this morning.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I did wake up 11-5 optimistic!

On an unrelated note, this coffee is starting to work it's magic.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Um, Stu? We're talking about the Ravens, right? The same Ravens that got swept by the Bengals? I'm fairly certain they split with the Steelers too, so no chance they went 6-0 in division last year.

Either way I'm not sold that Reed is gonna be the dominant force he normally is just because there's a #20 lined up at FS. If he's playing at anything less than 90% (indications are that IF he plays it'll be at way less than full speed), it won't be enough to carry those DBs on his own.

Their DBs were suspect to begin with...having injuries on top of it makes me very skeptical about their ability to make a run to the Bowl. I don't see where they're any better than the Bengals...who DID go 6-0 in that division last year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Cowboys 35
Redskins 3 (meaningless, end-of-game FG)

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | August 18, 2010 9:56 AM

Pampers, you really think the Cowboys are going to make 11 field goals and get a safety?

Posted by: Section104 | August 18, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PampaTex | August 18, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey TamponTex,

The only thing worse than not building an indoor facility is building a cheap rickety one that falls over in a stiff wind and paralyzes your employees.

There's your one piece of stale bread crust from me, troll. Enjoy it. Have a nice life.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 8:15 AM

I agree.

Years of under achieving have not stopped these guys from thinking they are great and running their big mouthes anyway. Just look at D Hall the past few weeks.

They get complacent too easily, and I want them to be a buzz saw when Sunday night when the Brokeback's hit town. Getting knocked down in the second preseason game oughta keep them grounded and focused. Gives Shanny one more tool to get them sharp.

A little tough love.

Posted by: edvar | August 18, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So, how small does ones junk need to be to spend hours each day trolling blogs of teams you hate?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Hess,

Do you get asked, on a somewhat regular basis, if you're related to the people who own HESS gasoline?

I get that at least once every month or so.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Get the name straight ('cause nothing else w/ him is..) it's Tampax... c'mon - that was too easy

I really don't see what the CowPatties thing they're accomplishing w/ this false bravado. They've done literally squat this season, besides get starters injured.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Best guess for 9/12:

Cowboys 35
Redskins 3 (meaningless, end-of-game FG)

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex

Not with Romo playing back yard football. I don't think he'll have the time to scramble and throw the ball like he has against us in the past. We'll put more pressure on him and he'll turn the ball over, leading to Redskin points.

Best guess for 9/12:

Cowboys 6 (Romo, 2 ints, 2 fumbles, 5 sacks)
Redskins 28 (McNabb, 2 tds, no int, 1 rushing td )

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM

Nope...I'm just kinda new.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:53 AM

I completely agree with all of that. All I'm saying is that I don't think they're better than the Colts, Jets, Patriots, or Bengals. If they survive Big Ben's suspension, the Steelers might be better than expected and the Ravens will REALLY be in trouble if that's the case.

I just think their situation has been oversimplified. "They needed a WR and now they have Boldin...SB!" I just don't buy that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Cowboys 35
Redskins 3 (meaningless, end-of-game FG)

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex

I'm impressed. I didn't think he could count that high...

He's still dumber than a box of hammers, but at least he can make numbers. I say we promote him to latrine duty.

Posted by: edvar | August 18, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Yeah your right I was off about the 6-0 i dont know why i thought that? did someone else sweep their division?

Anyways what im sayin is that even WO Reed who I think will play they still have a ton of talent. I think a lot of people will know who Zibakowski is by the end of this season, and their D is always based on their front 7 anyways. I think their O will be a challenge for our Defense this weekend. Ray rice is tough to takle and they have a deep group of pass catchers, Heap is a pro that will test our OLBs.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 18, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Nope...I'm just kinda new.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Cool cool

well, welcome to the blog then.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't buy that they are automatic SB contenders, but they are definitely in the mix.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey Hess,

I get that at least once every month or so.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 10:05 AM

Not only do I get asked that, but the kids remind me that every time we pass a Hess station.

I think the Cowboy fans who invade our board are getting crushed by our comments. ITA works well, but I think we've got their number.

Again, if you don't live in Dallas or you're not from Dallas, you're a wannabe Cowboy's fan.

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Gotta see if he can hit a pro curve ball and slider. If not, he will never see a fastball. A lot of young power hitters fall victim to the slider and flame out in the bigs.

Posted by: edvar | August 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Best guess for 9/12:

Cowboys 6 (Romo, 2 ints, 2 fumbles, 5 sacks)
Redskins 28 (McNabb, 2 tds, no int, 1 rushing td )

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

That's what I'm talking about!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

well, welcome to the blog then.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 10:11 AM

Why thank you, kind sir.

Seems RI has taken a break along with the skins...JReid prob playing in the puddles...guess I'll go and get some work done this morning.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"Their (ravens) DBs were suspect to begin with...having injuries on top of it makes me very skeptical about their ability to make a run to the Bowl."

I say if the redskin have battles at the receiver position, let's throw the ball early and often at the ravens corners.

And I can't see our running game getting big time yards against their front 7.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

No practice this morning? Albert needs the extra rest, the time off will come in handy!!!

Posted by: vmrg1974 | August 18, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Again, if you don't live in Dallas or you're not from Dallas, you're a wannabe Cowboy's fan"

hess, so does that logic mean that because I live south of Boston, MA. that I'm a wanna be redskins fan?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

OK, OK. You convinced me (BigBlueStar, that is).

Cowboys 74 (10 TDs and a safety)
Redskins 0

How's my math?

By the way, it's Pampa, Texas. The best town west of the Mississippi. I just got back home from visiting DC and I'm so glad it was just that: visiting. That place has more bad cops and hookers than you can shake a stick at. Talk at you NFL brethren (or is it heathens) closer to 9/12. ;-)

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | August 18, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 10:18 AM

Agreed. I just don't put them as the favorite in the AFC.

Stu, you're thinking of the Bengals. They went 6-0 in the AFC North last year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure when the 73-0 game happened there were many hearts broken in Texas. Why? Oh because they were all redskins fans then. Know your history, before there was a blue star, burgundy and gold owned that state.

BTW where's the gay...I mean guy who always types he-he-he all the time. Is it his turn at the public library computer yet?

Posted by: Predator48 | August 18, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 10:29 AM

Not really...by his logic, you'd be a Jets fan either to rile up the Pats fans in your area or based on some decades old grudge your parents had with the Pats. I think your "adopted" fanhood is on the up-and-up.

Seriously people...we really gotta stop indulging the Cowdung fans. Ignore them and they go away...it's as simple as that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Nobody under the age of 80 tells you where a town is in relation to the Mississippi River or measures quantity based on what "you can shake a stick at"...I mean, can we finally recognize these retarded trolls for what they are? I'd rather get back on the JC debate than keep indulging these @ssholes...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Trust me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 8:48 AM

That'll never happen. Baltimore fans' hatred of the skins goes way back to the days of the Colts. JKC didn't help it when he blocked expansion to B-more.

Posted by: skinswest | August 18, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 10:29 AM

No bean, you get grandfathered in ! Are you originally from the Washingtn area ?

Because it's "America's Team" leads me to believe those folks that aren't from Dallas are wannabe's, that's all. We all know by now you're a true Redskins fan.

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 10:29 AM

What if your hometown/state/region doesn't have an NFL team?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Questions should have been directed to hessone.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

"I don't understand the logic of doing that with a guy like Harper. If he can hit balls, then why not just throw him in there and have at it?"

Baseball is way more idiosyncratic than football.

Too, most top notch baseballers are at their best in their late twenties-early thirties whereas footballers in their mid-twenties.

If you were to polay any game professionally, it's gotta be baseball.

Unless, of course, you want to be brain damaged and unable to walk properly deep into your retirement because you love football so much.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

You know whats a great film. Debbie gives Dallas a venereal disease.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 10:29 AM

Hardly. The Redskins started life out in Boston. You, and any other Skins fans in Beantown, are really the ultimate Redskins fans.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2010 10:29 AM

What if your hometown/state/region doesn't have an NFL team?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2010 10:51 AM

There's one in every crowd. How about this, if you don't have a hometown NFL team, root for any team, but the Cowboy's. You'll just look better that way.

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

You know whats a great film. Debbie gives Dallas a venereal disease.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 10:54 AM

Poor Debbie...saw that one...if I remember corectly Dallas gave her the VD.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 18, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tampax - how's that lithium prescription? U one Hiiiiigh motha frakka.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 10:51 AM

First of all, they're not "America's Team". America is about freedom of choice and I don't recall there being a nationwide vote on that. Besides, calling yourself that doesn't make it so...it makes you lame. I can call myself President of the United States until I'm blue in the face...doesn't make it true.

Second of all, where you live shouldn't matter in relation to whom you root for. If you're bandwagoning (like most D.C. area Dall-ass fans) that's one thing, but if you fall in love with a team that doesn't play in your town I don't see the problem. It's kinda weird, but I don't see the problem...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 7:57 AM

It's important that you view this next pre-season game in the proper context. Most here may or may not be aware that Baltimore ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wants to WIN pre-season games versus Washington. It's part of their inferiority complex. I know this first hand from having lived in downtown Baltimore for a few years. It's actually pretty funny because they believe there is a real rivalry between Baltimore and Washington and it really p's them of to hear that no one in Washington even cares about them, like, at all.

The team and especially their fans consider a pre-season game against the Redskins to be essentially, a regular season game. I still go out in the Fells Point and Federal Hill areas of the city on occasion and I still hear talk about their SB win in 2000. Dude, 2000? Are you serious? I think the 'Skins beat them that year anyway.

I've had specific conversations where some IROC-driving, mullet-having, white trash loser in a purple Ray-Ray jersey is asking me about what all the chardonnay-sipping yuppies in DC think of their team. Without even looking over at the dude, I just say, "Um, we don't."

So, just like last year and other years, the Ravens are going to see this as a real game while the 'Skins are going to be assessing talent and execution-level in preparation for the season opener.

So have fun Raven fan. You can get your rat-tail trimmed, your IROC or Trans Am detailed and break out your very best acid-wash jeans to go with your Van Halen t-shirt and celebrate what might end up being a pre-season victory to rejuvenate your shrimpy little egos.

It's a pre-season game and you're gonna party like it's 1999 (or 2000 for that matter).

Have fun.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Anyone not from Dallas that roots for the 'Girls is of questionable character.

Kind of like rooting for the Fab Five from Michigan, if you aren't a Wolverine.

To the superficial and easily-duped, they are a team to get behind b/c they were flashy and won some games.

But then you feel grimy and cheap for selling your fanhood out when you consider what kind of dirty program it was, and how they choked when it really really counted.

Posted by: p1funk | August 18, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Maybe its just me, but I actually was rooting for the ravens back in the 2000 playoffs, heck they are the closest AFC team we got. I just wish they would go to black jerseys and maybe that cool original logo they had on the helmet.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 18, 2010 10:56 AM

Co-sign, thanks MColeman51.

Monte Coleman is one of my all time favorites Redskins. Wish we could find more late round picks like him.

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 11:08 AM |

I don't hate the Ravens, hell, I don't even care about them one way or the other. I was in Baltimore the year they were to play to Colts in the playoffs (I think) just a couple years ago and witnessed 2 drunk (I know, shocker) white trash Raven fans in purple jerseys (tucked into their black jeans, of course) ripping some old guy wearing a Colts jersey. The old guy didn't say a thing and was kind of scared until the guy's enraged son got in both their faces and informed them his dad was wearing an Art Donovan jersey and the guy was a life long Baltimore resident.

Lastly, re the old logo. They stole that. Some graphic design guy (look it up if you want) tried to sell them the design in 95 or 96 and the Ravens declined and stole the logo anyway. I think the dude won some money in court and the thieving Ravens had to change the logo from something cool to the head of a filthy crow. Nice history of your corrupt team management Raven fan.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 18, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"What if your hometown/state/region doesn't have an NFL team?"

Then you probably live in Dallas, Texas and post in a redskins' blog to express your frustrations.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Alex, admittedly I rooted for the Ravens in the playoffs that year too. Partly because they were somewhat local and partly because I hated the teams they played in the playoffs (Denver, Oakland, NYG). I've never hated that organization or that team as a whole...I just hate their fans and how pretentious Ray Lewis is.

pfunk, good call on the Cowdungs...no matter how many showers you take, you'd never wash the stench of rooting for them off of you...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

leave it to the tiny-brained p1funk to dictate that americans must root for a team based on proximity only (as if that's the only thing that matters in life) or they are suspect. you, sir, are a myopic, xenophobic moron. further, dallas didn't name themselves america's team. the nfl's media machine did. of course they could've have labeled the redskins "america's team", but, as fate would have it, at that time most of america didn't even know that washington still had a team because they were soooooo irrelevant. today's brief, albeit important, history lesson has just concluded.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 18, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2010 11:03 AM

If you're bandwagoning (like most D.C. area Dall-ass fans)

You stated the problem right there, brown.

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Way to justify your bandwagon jumping peterpuffer.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

You stated the problem right there, brown.

Posted by: hessone | August 18, 2010 11:22 AM

the problem is you made a dumbazz statement and you're trying to dance your way out of it. your quick foot work would have made the legendary james brown proud!

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 18, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry - I can't get w/ the Ravens. I don't like the O's that much. Hated the Colts. Don't even like the Wizards so much, 'cause they're the Bullets and they're from Balmer.

It might be 'cause of all the reverse hate, I'm not sure.. maybe 'cause I've always been on the Beltway ('cept for those 25 yrs. in Miamuh!)...

No Sir. Don't like 'em.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Here is the justifications I accept generally for people not liking the home town team. Regardless of town.

1. Your father is from a different city and raised you to like his team. My dad being from NYC was a Yankees and Giants fan, so I can understand kids growing up that way.

2. The home town team did not exist when you were a kid/moved away, so your loyalties are divided.

3. You live in a Zone C region or worse of the logical fan base. Zone A being the city of the team itself, Zone B being surrounding counties and suburbs. Zone C means you are just in the same state or something to that effect. Zone D means your in the dead lands of a franchise.

4. This is 1 pass for skins fans; African Americans in DC that were pissed of buy George Preston Marshals anti-segregation ideology. However the ones that rooted for Dallas over that are still pricks. And anyone who was born after the skins desegregated can't justify that stance IMHO.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 18, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Its still an embarrassment that a professional team like the Redskins doesn't have an indoor practice facility!

Posted by: S-Doug | August 18, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse