Lineup shuffle doesn't mean depth chart changes

There has been some shuffling of players between the first and second teams in the past few practices. Defensive ends Phillip Daniels and Vonnie Holliday worked with the first team on Tuesday, for example. But Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said there's not much to glean from those moves.

"First and second and third teams will sometimes rotate so we get to see them against different players," Shanahan said. "Give them a chance to compete against guys that maybe the first or second team was going against. So that's an ongoing process, so you can't read too much into it. But what you can read into it is guys are competing and we're getting a chance to evaluate them."

Competition has been a key word for Shanahan throughout the offseason and it has been evident that the new staff has looked to create as much as possible at key positions during training camp. There are 11 wide receivers, four quarterbacks and 14 offensive linemen on the roster, as well as seven or eight punt and kick return candidates - all areas of need for the Redskins last year.

"If you're part of our 80-man squad, we feel like eventually you've got a chance to be No. 1 depending on how good you are and how you come in and prove yourself, so there's a lot of competition," Shanahan said.

"We also know that there's a lot of players that are proven and to beat out a proven player doesn't happen very often. But these people [are] evaluated as time goes on and like we've been saying since the first day, we've got a lot of competition out there. We really don't care what you've done in the past, we want to see how you do out there on the practice field and how you play in these preseason games, and then we have a chance to come up with our best guy."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 3, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan not sold on Favre retirement
Next: Jeremy Jarmon adjusting to new assignment

Comments

Brett Favre should do a Lebron James and host an hour long "Decision" special on the eve of the regular season on ESPN.
Madden could host it and at the end Brett pulls out a Vikings helmet and says "I'm taking my talents to Mall of America".

Posted by: Predator48

Posted by: Predator48 | August 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | August 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"In fact, the changes are designed more to give the starters a chance to run against better competition. In the case of today's shift, coaches were able to evaluate regular starters Adam Carriker and Kedric Golston against the starting offensive line instead of the back-ups they have been facing the past five days."

Well, this is just completely wrong. Other than that, it's fantastic reporting!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 3, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

sorry about the double post

Posted by: Predator48 | August 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

So, this means the starting offensive line was challenged today. I wonder how they did against Carriker, Kemo and Golston.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Why is Sal Palantonio drudging up this nonsense?

McNabb is in DC, and if, scratch that, when we make the playoffs and McNabb beats Philly twice, he won't be going anywhere.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 3:27 PM |

HD has ruined SalPal's chances at an ESPN studio gig. Carl Maldin thinks Sal's nose is a honker and the moon is jealous of the amount of cratering on his face.

Maybe Sally is just mad that much more attractive people like Hugh "Coffee Cakes" McDonough, Shelly "Leggo My Eggo" Smith, Linda "Twelve Toes" Kohn, Holly "I'm not fat I'm Fluffy" Rowe, Pam "Man" Ward, Pam "5-head" Oliver, Michelle Man 2" Tafoya and Andrea "Are My Eyes Big Enough?" Kramer have/had all those slots on lockdown.

Hey Sally? Have another cheese steak you turd.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH DEDICATES HIMSELF TO BEING A TEAM PLAYER
But Skeptics Ask: Which Team?

ASHBURN, VA – Not only did Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth come into camp in amazing shape, he also came in motivated to step up his game on all levels -- and start earning some of the seriously funny money that has been thrown his way by team officials.

And in an stunning reversal of fortune, the Washington Redskins have reportedly acceded to a request from their $100 million man and former lead malcontent to allow him to start shouldering more of the workload for the team and make him the first three-way football player of the modern era – from starting nose tackle on the defense, to starting halfback on the offensive unit, and lead gunner on the punt coverage unit of the special teams.

According to sources close to the Redskins front office, Haynesworth met this afternoon with team coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to apologize for all of the drama he has caused thus far in camp and to discuss his potential roles and responsibilities with the Redskins.

Haynesworth is also reportedly seeking a role as the emergency backup quarterback, should starting quarterback Donovan McNabb go down and the other bums on the roster play “up” to their normal standards.

However, some skeptics close to the team are speculating that Haynesworth is only posturing to get himself traded to Minnesota -- especially since he has yet to even try to pass a conditioning test mandated by Washington head coach Mike Shanahan. Haynesworth reportedly sees himself as a potential heir apparent to future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre.

He is also reportedly tired of playing defense, wearing “high numbers” on his uniform, showering with the other defensive linemen, and walking back and forth to the practice field.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sally? Have another cheese steak you turd.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Haha...always thought that word was funny...but I spell it terd.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 3, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

That Sal Pal quote has fake written all over it, don't believe it for 2 seconds...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"We really don't care what you've done in the past, we want to see how you do out there on the practice field and how you play in these preseason games, and then we have a chance to come up with our best guy."

What a novel freakin idea that hasn't been upheld at Redskins park in quite some time.

May the best man play, not the best paid man play!(or keeping players just to prove some idiot "GM" knows anything - which he didn't)

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | August 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What, you mean old vets aren't automatically inserted as starters regardless of what other's can do? Is this possible? I haven't seen that happen in years.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posts seem to be every hour on the half hour this afternoon...get ready folks...I feel something really big coming up next!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 3, 2010 3:26 PM
Right on the timing, but another really big piece of nothing for the article.

Come on RI guys, give us reports on the action. Not the worthless nothings you've been feeding us.

Are we supposed to be shocked that a QB that we signed YESTERDAY needs to learn the system? NO!

Do we need a report that nothing has changed with Fat Albert? NO! If nothing's Changed why report anything.

Does it matter what Shanahan thinks about Brett Favre's retirement? NO!

Do we care that Shanahan is switching up the personell groupings in practice? NO! Just tell us how the players are performing.

Yes, we know that there are 7 or 8 guys competing for PR/KR duties. Have you even ONCE told us how the competition is going? NO!

GIVE US SOME REAL NEWS PLEASE!

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 3, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

From The Bog:

Portis: Shanahan Skins are most professional

One of the early themes of Redskins Training Camp: 2010 is that everything is more professional than it was in the past, that the practice music and in-fighting and general laxness of the Zorn Era has been purged to history's wastebucket, where they'll sit next to a skinned coyote carcass and a tuxedo t-shirt.

Clinton Portis endorses this view, if not exactly in those words. Larry Michael asked Portis on Monday whether this is the most professional the Redskins have been during his D.C. tenure.

"Oh yeah, it's hands-down the best," Portis said on Redskins Nation. "Coach Gibbs, you will never understand how fortunate you were to play for Coach Gibbs. But as of right now, just the demeanor of the people on the team....You sit in the locker room and you hear guys talking and you hear how happy guys are to be here, you hear the outlook.

"You know, it was so much going on that people wanted out of here. Yeah, there was even a point that I wanted out of here. So just having this and being able to go in and you feel comfortable, you feel like it's on me, compared to having back-room discussions and worrying. You just feel like if I do the things I'm supposed to do, I'll be around....

"It's just a new-found respect. We finally have a strength and conditioning staff that you can believe in....When you finish workouts and go look at your body, you look good, you feel good. So now, when I go and take off my clothes and look at my body, I look good, I feel good."

Yeah. Let's change the subject from that one. And pretend we never read it. Oh, but before you stop thinking about Portis's body, he said the recent reports of his weight loss were no big thing.

"I think people make so much out of nothing," he told Michael. "It's like oh, his weight down, his weight down. It ain't like I went out and lost 50 pounds. You know, I lost a couple pounds, trimmed up, and just came out focused."

By Dan Steinberg | August 3, 2010; 2:19 PM ET
Categories: Redskins

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

GIVE US SOME REAL NEWS PLEASE!

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 3, 2010 4:00 PM |

Disappointed again...oh well...maybe the real news will be here at 4:30.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 3, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

What! CP really loves himself.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 3, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

That's funny, it's Tryon's JOB to cover and EVERYONE said that Landry was interchangeable with the FS/SS slots. Sean Taylor got beat deep multiple times. Actually, if YOU watched the season last year, Orakpo had dramatically improved his 'playing in space' skills considering his did almost none of that beforehand - ever.

I like the man's chances and you're just a silly doosh clinging to a point that was ill-made relative to a first year player and how you just cannot fathom a second year stud actually improving over his rookie season.

Let me tell you one more thing son, Landry isn't even on the level of his brother. Forget about his mental shortcomings. If he could tackle in-bounds as well as he hits out-of bounds, he might make a pro-bowl or hell, I'll settle for a stop on 3rd down, let alone a pick.

4th floor, keep on struggling and I'll keep on owning you b i t c h.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go put some water in your momma's water dish.

Lastly, most of us knew in 2nd grade that 'irregardless' is not a word in the English language. I think you listen way too much to the John Thompson or LaVar (SubPar) Arrington show when you should be listening to 'Hooked On Phonics'.

Ownage.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 3:17 PM

You had to excuse me while I finished laughing at such an amature attempt to take an (online) swing by the new Internet Gangsta on the block.

So, everyone else is allowed to be bashed, save for your butt buddy Orakpo, huh?

In fact, I seen your Homo Thug a$$ before...yeah...you was on the news recently......

Run and tell that...'Homeboy'....

And FYI - You know how words are created.....People create them.....It has been created, so now use it....Don't let the Man hold you down...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"But one player who did fare well was nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu, who was pitted against center Casey Rabach."--RI

What? 290-pound Rabach went against a 350-pound Nose tackle and struggled? Hell last year against nose tackles he was officially listed as a Fullback, since he was five yards deep after the snap.

Smart, classy player, but about 20-40 pounds light for a modern day center.

Posted by: TheCork | August 3, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2010 4:05 PM

Thanks for the post. I'm really excited about CPs performance so far in camp. He's putting in the work to have a big year.

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2010 4:05 PM

It's going be hard for people to hate on Portis this year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Run and tell that...'Homeboy'....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

My sister sent me that clip in an e-mail last week. I fell out.

"You so dumb, leaving t-shirts."

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy Maclin carted off, ending Eagles practice early
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 4:08 PM ET
Over the weekend, Eagles wideout DeSean Jackson was carted off during practice. He ended up being fine.

On Tuesday, Eagles wideout Jeremy Maclin was carted off. His injury ended practice early.

Said receiver Hank Baskett of the situation, per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer: "It killed the mood."

Maclin reportedly needed assistance walking from the cart to the locker room.

So stay tuned.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm loving all the Kool Aide right now, but here's what I need to see to take the straw out of the cup and begin guzzling:

1) I need to see the starters put some TOUCHDOWNS on the board in the preseason...not 5 field goals...TOUCHDOWNS!

2) I need to see a guy net us 15 to 20 yards on punt returns

3) I need to see the 1st team defense get a couple of 3 and outs

4) I need to see our young corners get tested deep.

Then...

I'm feeding Kool Aid intravenously!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 3, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2010 4:05 PM

It's going be hard for people to hate on Portis this year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 4:20 PM
------------------------------------------
I won't auction off my hate e-pen until he plays in all the preseason games and doesn't miss a practice for some bogus reason. I am optimistic. Shanahan knows his player and knows how to get him motivated.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You know, at this time in training camp each of the past several years we've had a few players start to come down with hammy problems and, of course, Philip Daniels injury. Throwing out Kelly (who seems to have chronic injury issues) the new strength and conditional coaches and the training staff have apparently done a nice job.

Posted by: Cookie4 | August 3, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy Maclin carted off, ending Eagles practice early
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 4:08 PM ET

Maclin reportedly needed assistance walking from the cart to the locker room.

So stay tuned.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

2) I need to see a guy net us 15 to 20 yards on punt returns

3) I need to see the 1st team defense get a couple of 3 and outs

4) I need to see our young corners get tested deep.

Then...

I'm feeding Kool Aid intravenously!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 3, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

We will be scoring touchdowns. Don't worry about that.

Running game will be very strong.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

h8, no, you want them at their best, full strength, your best versus their best, no excuses...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 4:39 PM
When you get to the end of the season they total up your W's and L's to determine if you make the playoffs. They don't care if those wins came against a team with all of it's starters healthy or not. I say kick 'em when they're down and get that W.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 3, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"sorry about the double post
Posted by: Predator48"

That's OK, we never read them anyway.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Some of you expect RI to be something it's not. This blog is just copy and paste from the WP's print addition. We get a sneak peak in other words. Wake up. Check Twitter if you want the play by play from training camp.

Posted by: novaprogressive | August 3, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse