Trent Williams hopes sore toe will allow him to play Sunday

Although rookie left tackle Trent Williams hopes to return to the lineup Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field, he still is not sure if his sore toe will cooperate.

"I practiced a little bit [Wednesday]," Williams said before practice Thursday at Redskins Park. "It felt good to be actually back out there on the field with my teammates and going through the game plan, but it's still uncertain for this week. We won't know 'til later on in the week."

Williams suffered knee and toe injuries during Washington's Week 2 loss to Houston and sat out the Week 3 loss to St. Louis. Stephon Heyer started in his place.

An MRI exam of Williams's knee revealed no structural damage, but "I think the toe is more the problem," Williams said. "I can play through a knee, but the toe is really my foundation. It makes it a little bit hard sometimes."

Williams said he has continued to receive treatment on his toe in an effort to reduce the swelling and help him regain form, but toe rehab is a "long, tedious process."

Quarterback Donovan McNabb, who spent his first 11 seasons with the Eagles, is returning to Philadelphia for the first time since being traded to Washington on Easter Sunday. Williams, who protects McNabb's blindside, is eager to play in a must win game for the struggling Redskins.

"It's important to me that I be there," Williams said. "But I want to be there for every game. It's not just 'cause he's going back to Philly. Philadelphia's another team in the NFL that we have to play. A lot of that stuff [McNabb's return to the Eagles' home field] is extracurricular. It all comes down to what we do in between he hashes."

The Eagles are second in the league with 12 sacks (the Green Bay Packers, whom the Redskins face in Week 5, lead the NFL with 13). Eagles defensive ends Trent Cole and Juqua Parker have seven sacks between them.

"Yeah, I would" expect to play, Williams said. "I expected to play last week also, so that's not saying too much. ... If I think I'm going to be a hindrance to the team, I won't let myself play."

By Jason Reid  | September 30, 2010; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis expects to be in the backfield Sunday
Next: A rare missed game for Donovan McNabb's parents

Comments

Stephon Heyer vs. Trent Cole = :(

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer vs. Trent Cole = :(

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2010 12:21 PM
------------------------------------------
Man, you really know how to ruin someone's lunch.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you'd change your tune if we lost McNabb for the year to a knee injury because we were practicing in monsoon-like conditions. Use come common sense, hoss...

Posted by: brownwood26 |

If people here had common sense there's hardly be any posts at all.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we have an 18 game season coming up. All these nancies need to toughen up. After that we can move on to a 25 game season and eventually 162 game season. Such a move will create job and make the league tougher. All hail Commissioner Goodell and the "done deal."

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | September 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Trent Williams hopes sore toe will allow him to play Sunday

By Jason Reid | September 30, 2010; 12:15 PM ET

Since when can a sore toe allow you to play?

I hope a healed toe allows him to play!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

People Reading Too Much Into Portis Dive = NERD

People Overreacting to Dumb Joke = Pathetic

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

We need our Silverback back.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer vs. Trent Cole = :(

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this will be ridiculous.

Jammal Brown played LT for how many years? PLAY HIM AT LT.

Also, McNabb is not coming back to DC next year, why would he want to? He's going to Minny (Childress) or AZ (off-season hometown).

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 30, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

yes silverback, it's very important to the franchise for you to play, but if you're hurt you're hurt

here's something off topic, i dont really like basketball, i follow the Terps, love 'em, but DC in my time and most has always had shi**y b-ball teams, i follow 'em a lil, but for whatever reason, im really intrigued by John Wall, i only saw him play like a half total at kentucky, so ive never really seen him play much, but i read every article on the guy and im actually looking forward to the wiz this season just to watch him, it's crazy
im a true diehard of the Skins and Caps, but mr. wall may bring me into the nba for the 1st time since jordan

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
we need ya trent

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

We need our Silverback back.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Trent will play.

Our Trent will dominate their Trent.

Redskins reclaim NFC East dominance.

Vick is a dog killer.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 30, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

can't stand the WNBA. But this? Me like.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2010 12:28 PM

I volunteer to help treat the rug burns!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't making a joke.

Thanks for explaining why you keep using Nerd. Your living right up to my earlier comparison.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

so, how would you handle when Moss intentionally goes down to avoid hits? because that happens all the time.

how about Gary Clark?

I think the elite athlete should be trusted to know their own limitations.

how about when a safety "misses" a one on one with Steven Jackson, cause that's happened 2 years in a row, Horton and Moore

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2010 12:19 PM
------------------------------------------
Not sure where you are going with this. Do I think Moore missed a tackle on Jackson? Absolutely, and he should be accountable for it.

As for the rest taking a dive, it depends on the circumstances. Portis was in a foot race when he went down. Granted, it was a foot race he might not have won, but if he pulled up and juked, maybe he would have had defenders tripping over each other. Maybe. Maybe not. The point is, the potential for more yardage was there and he should have taken it. Those other guys you mention may have done the same thing but I doubt they stood in front of the reporters after the game and defended it by saying, "coach told me to do it". Those guys would have taken their mistakes on their own shoulders and I guess that is point #2 with CP: it's always the o-line's fault, Mike Sellers' fault, the coach's fault, but when is it going to be CP's fault?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If the game where 8 players got knocked out of the 'Skins/Philly Monday nighter in 1990 was dubbed the 'body bag' game....

would it be fair if the 'Skins knock Vick out of this weekend's matchup to then refer to that game as the "Doggy Bag" game?

Book me.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If I think I'm going to be a hindrance to the team, I won't let myself play."

By Jason Reid | September 30, 2010; 12:15 PM ET

I would sure hope not!

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If Banks is back on the 53 man roster as of monday, who is now on the street ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

If Banks is back on the 53 man roster as of monday, who is now on the street ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 12:38 PM
-----------------------------------------He's on the developmental roster. They had an open spot there when they released LJ and promoted Torain.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I just had chicken ceasar salad for lunch.

It is raining very hard outside.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I just had chicken ceasar salad for lunch.

It is raining very hard outside.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:41 PM |

Thanks for the tweet, twit.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

can't stand the WNBA. But this? Me like.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

What's funny is the chick in the picture at the top of the article (nice azz :)) has a garter belt sticking out and it's yellow. It would be cool if that were the flags and instead of Lingerie Flag Football, it would be called Garter Football and they have to try and pull each other's garter belts off!!! Wow, what a glorious day that would be!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

going back a couple of posts -- hate the idea of using a spy. Shanny compared vick to Steve Young.

I once heard Young talk about when teams would assign a spy on him ... and he loved it. More time to throw, less guys in coverage and he always knew where the spy was, which simplified his reads.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If Banks is back on the 53 man roster as of monday, who is now on the street ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 12:38 PM

He's on the practice squad

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The sore toe is making the decisions now?

Just like I posted way back.... all the talk in the world from/about Clinton before the season started... and here we are, week 4, questioning his role in the offense....

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Ryan T does not excite me at all.. just another mope!

Posted by: iubiquity | September 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I just had chicken ceasar salad for lunch.

It is raining very hard outside.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:41 PM
------------------------------------------
And gravity is still working.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

If Banks is back on the 53 man roster as of monday, who is now on the street ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 12:38 PM

He's on the practice sqaud. Practice sqaud members, you know, PRACTICE, with the rest of the team....so he's locker never moved...just his salary....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

OK, so I'm driving home yesterday listening to espn radio. They have king doosh Mel Kiper on.

He's rattling stuff off about this and that, then starts talking about this White kid (last name, not race) WR who hit the scene in Indy last weekend, as well as scoring. Seems he was his most highly rated player that didn't get drafted and had loads of potential.

He was just brought up from the practice squad, which means we not only missed on signing him after the draft, he was just sitting there on their practice squad waiting for us to pounce. But no! WTF?

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 30, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tweet, twit.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:42 PM

Haha...anytime NPI...oh and someone said "could care less"...or some variation...on the last thread...just thought you might like to know.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

can't stand the WNBA. But this? Me like.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2010 12:28 PM
------------------------------------------
I think I could eat that up.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

can't stand the WNBA. But this? Me like.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811

they're tackling? Not a lot of pads and not a lot of coverage ... on indoor turf fields. Rug burns vs pulling the garter off. Go for the garter -- much hotter

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tweet, twit.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:42 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | September 30, 2010 12:51 PM |

Shocker. I was only trying to help prevent someone from making a fool of them self but in here, that would be an exercise in futility.

Half the peeps in here couldn't get a job as a spellchecker at the M&Ms factory.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Sore toe?

Cut the sucker off and get back in there.

Where have all the Ronnie Lotts gone?

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they are tackling. When I first saw the picture I saw the yellow on the garter belt and thought it was like flag football, but they have pads, mouthpieces, everything!!! What's hot is the boobs are sticking out under the shoulder pads!!!

Thank you for that input, KING OF THE NERDS!!! There were some guys making of us, you should make a decree and say "Off With Their Heads!!!"
On second thought, they're just a waste of blog space.

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@monk811

try utube for some John Riggins and stop with your dive ass crap. CP is a running back who should get every yard possible. freakin dive ass.

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sore toe?

Cut the sucker off and get back in there.

Where have all the Ronnie Lotts gone?

Posted by: p1funk | September 30, 2010 1:01 PM |

They don't need to care that much anymore. Top ten picks' signing bonuses almost assuredly exceed those players' lifetime earnings.

That said, a LT w/o a big toe might have issues with balance that would make CP look rock steady.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@monk811

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Believe me, would I want everyone to be like Jim Brown and NEVER go down and NEVER go out of bounds, sure. But the more you look at highlights of games, the more you see someone fighting for a measly 3 or 4 yards and the ball coming out (See last play of half vs Dallas). Clinton probably could have stayed up and gotten a few more, but why take the chance, it's not like he would have scored a TD if he hadn't gone down. You want to risk him fumbling just for staying up and fighting for 3 yards? I at least understand why he went down, don't wanna see it happen in the open field though.

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 30, 2010 12:50 PM

He has been practicing with Peyton Manning since April. He wasn't going anywhere. Listen's to Peton's comments, this was ecpected of White......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

yeah, watch clinton block, then come back and talk to me....sorry but him going down there, is such a non factor, such a moot point in the loss to the rams...make noise about bigger picture items...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

beep peeps

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 30, 2010 12:50 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2010 1:15 PM

He wasn't going anywhere? Well, if we signed him off their practice squad he would have. Ugh! We should be raiding practice squads throughout the league!

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 30, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

beeps.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@monk811

dive my ass

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I think we both can agree that Riggins was a special player, and while I like Portis, he is no John Riggins. Riggins was the type that COULD hit a couple guys and move the pile, Clinton is not. Wasn't Clinton on the sidelines during the Houston game at the one point in the second half practicing gripping the ball with a trainer. Obviously something is wrong, and I don't want him fumbling, so he should go down when he feels the play is over, kinda like Moss does.
I don't need to fight with anyone else, we used to get along. Remember the whole Albert_Haynesworth and Poopy_McPoop saga?

Posted by: monk811 | September 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

yeah, watch clinton block, then come back and talk to me....

ok, bean, we're talking about running the ball, not blocking spin dr. CP for a HB is one of the best blocking backs I've ever seen.

dive my ass. also, I realize CP is no jriggo, still, I want a RB that can get me the extra yard.

so I'll ask, what's wrong with that ?

don't criticize the redskins in any way, including $$$nyder or bean'll jump your ass. just sayin'

Posted by: hessone | September 30, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

you WILL laugh your azzes off! Finalists of the Portis "dive" photoshop contest.

BWAAAAHHHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 30, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Ryan T does not excite me at all.. just another mope!

Posted by: iubiquity | September 30, 2010 12:46 PM
------------------------------------
agreed...this guy is not all that..i mean just because Shanny had him in Denver everyone thinks he the next 1000 yard back in this system..but he looks slow and he run too high...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 30, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I wish this team would have hired cower instead of the midget shanny! So far he has been nothing but big fat clown shoes!!!

Posted by: Michael_ASU | September 30, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If Banks is back on the 53 man roster as of monday, who is now on the street ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 12:38 PM

He's on the practice squad

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2010 12:45 PM
Thanks RI said that he was on the 53 man squad as of monday in the blog on Banks being Vick .

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zenaf88 | September 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zenaf88 | September 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

McNabb needs to play like he wants to beat the team that traded him, and if Trent Williams plays, then it'll make McNabb's job a bit easier. The defense needs to get their azzes in gear because their performance in the last 2 games was pathetic. Managment should dock the pay of the defense for their pitiful play. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: zenaf88 | September 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse