Camp storylines: No. 2 Trent Williams

With Redskins training camp opening Thursday afternoon, this week on Redskins Insider we'll count down the most pressing issues the team faces as players prepare to report. We'll discuss the No. 1 storyline Thursday morning.

Will Trent Williams report to camp on time and how quickly will he develop over the course of training camp?

The Redskins passed on flashier names -- and even lineman who were more highly-touted -- to select Williams with the No. 4 overall pick. Mike Shanahan feels he's a good fit for the team's zone-blocking scheme. While the first minicamp was an eye-opener for Williams, his teammates have reported significant progress in the past several weeks.

But coaches have stressed that a rookie can't afford to miss any part of training camp, which means that Williams must agree to terms and sign a contract. And time is running out.

Prediction: Williams has stressed that he's eager to sign and ready to get rolling. Many believe his decision to switch agents last month would make negotiations a smoother process. The two sides have been talking and the safe bet is that if they don't agree
to terms by Thursday afternoon, they'll get the details hammered out shortly thereafter.

Last season, Brian Orakpo missed the first day of training camp, but settled on terms late that night and reported the following day. Williams' situation shouldn't linger.

The more pressing question is his development. Teammates and coaches have praised his progress so far. With Chris Samuels assisting the coaching staff during training camp, Williams is learning from the best. It'll be on him to pay attention, soak it in and translate what he learns in the classroom to the playing field each day.

By Rick Maese  |  July 28, 2010; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth tells Redskins he won't be a distraction
Next: Haynesworth meets with Shanahan, Haslett

Comments

1st

Posted by: skinfanman | July 28, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Williams will be fine.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 28, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Get the deal done, get this kid into camp when it starts... everybody needs to just buckle down and get it done so we can get rolling. It would be stupid to have him miss any time.

Hail to Trent Williams, may you anchor the left side of the line for the next decade and prove yourself a worthy heir to Chris Samuels, Jim Lachey, and Joe Jacoby. No pressure, of course...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 28, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

There's only one person qualified to comment on "No.2". Poopy McPoop.

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I am raising my hand! I still think he will be gone before the regular season starts. If you go back and read all of my posts about the Fat Albert situation, everything is still going EXACTLY the way I predicted them to go. Nothing has changed.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 12:37 PM

Reposted because I didn't get it in before the beeps.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"With Chris Samuels assisting the coaching staff during training camp, Williams is learning from the best. It'll be on him to pay attention, soak it in and translate what he learns in the classroom to the playing field each day."

Nice to see Samuels mentoring and coaching up the Silverback.

I'm sure Chris Foerster and his 26 years of coaching exp appreciates the help of the 6x pro bowler.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Williams is going to spend an entire Summer practicing against Albert Haynesworth, Brian Orakpo, and Andre Carter. I think he's going to do just fine when the season rolls around.

Posted by: Section104 | July 28, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Let's wait before handing out plates of crow.

Prince Al has yet to cross the threshold of Redskins' Park.

This note is posted by a man who doesn't have to raise his hand, btw.

Go back and check.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Me neither. And thank God, I had to choke down enough crow when I realized all of Reid's AH diarrhea of the blog wasn't just bluster and fabrications.

Hey there moo cow. Absolutely, and I'm always more awkward winning bets than losing them...

Sike! Bonus points for creativity on those signoffs, bama!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | July 28, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

If Williams turns out to be the real deal, this offense will be sick to watch. A pro-bowl QB, a HOF-material head coach, an offensive guru coordinator, and a legit offensive line could spell disaster for other teams.

This team has the biggest boom or bust potential I remember from a Redskins team in a LONG time.

Somehow, Snyder has managed to do it again. Turns a perpetual disappointment into the most hyped franchise in the area in a single offseason. He may not be built for providing a consistent winner, but the man is a genius when it comes to excitement and anticipation. And this time he did it by effectively taking himself out of the picture. I've got to hand it to him: he knows how to keep his fanbase on its toes at all times, regardless of recent history.

Posted by: psps23 | July 28, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

moodlymoo

"..others just toss out sh!t and hide when comeuppance is due.."

Let's be fair.

We are fans who just want the best for our team, so a lil attitude is expected when a player doesn't do like we think he should.

And to date, Prince Al hasn't.

At the end of the day, if he arrives, we'll all shout, "Hail!" and "We want Dallas!" in the same minute.

And if he doesn't show, the sh!t talkers you mention will ask you why you put them out for what they're right about.

Let's just wait to see what happens before condemning anybody, bro'.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | July 28, 2010 12:47 PM

Agreed on the boom or bust potential of this team. One could make an argument for them being 11-5 to 5-11.

Posted by: TWISI | July 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited for sure but I been burned by ole stompski before...

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 28, 2010 11:42 A
------------------------------------------
you should've used a condom

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: skinfanman

Feel like a man now?

Posted by: iubiquity | July 28, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I also think T. Williams will be fine. I'm sure the coaches have made clear to him the dominant pass rushers he will be facing this season. If that list isn't enough to scare the bejesus out of any rookie LT, and convince him that he needs to work his butt off to be ready, then I don't know what is. I'm sure he will have some rookie gaffes, but that's to be expected. I'm also sure that the coaches have schemes in place to give Williams a little help when they feel he needs it.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"One could make an argument for them being 11-5 to 5-11."

If D McNabb and Mike Shanahan are worth 5 wins--an accepted truth--then 9-7 is doable.

If the defense and running game are improved, then 10-6 is within reach.

The one chink in our armour is that the AFC South teams we face ('cept the jags) can score like a millionaire in the Playboy Mansion.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | July 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

11-5

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

McNabb (+2)
Shanny(s) & Haslett (+3)
switch to 3-4 (-1)

8-8 in 2010, which would be a huge improvement.

10-6 and wildcard in 2011.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Do the thing Sliverback. Bradford and Gerald Mccoy the #3 pick are also reped by TWs agent. Hopefully he can get signed soon.

Cheers to all who raised their hands, classy jeers to those who know they should have.

The #1 camp question will be the backup QB as it is every year. DC loves its qb controversies, hopefully this year it only relates to the backups...

Posted by: Stu27 | July 28, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

brown, I forgot about Carriker. But Carter could be used on third and long situations.

Maybe Carter can be the 'skins Terrell Suggs.

Posted by: RedDMV

Orakpo is the Skins version of Terrell Suggs. Carter will probably end up being a role player coming in for passing situations. I don't see Carter learning to play OLB and covering guys at this point in his career.

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 28, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Moe

I'm sticking with 8-8 until injuries take a toll one way or the other. The one thing we have to our advantage is Kyle's knowledge of the AFC south teams. He'll have a plan against their defenses. Will the Skins have the playmakers to make the plan effective is yet to be determined.

Posted by: TWISI | July 28, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | July 28, 2010 1:06 PM
-------------------------------------------
excellent point...Colt wins the backup job...Grossman gets cut

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 12:47 PM

who's condemning anyone? there aren't any blog cops until someone clicks on "Report abuse"

in fact, one of my points was verbatim "let's see what happens..."

all for any opinion, and it's ok for someone to change their mind, but rights to dish or eat crow should go to those who take a position and don't hide... I'm thinking especially of serial pseudonymous gnats.

also hear an echo of brownwood's earlier comment that we tend to root for the team, and that generally sounds right to me... if AH is on the roster and contributes as a team player, then I'll wish him some success while I chow down on my crow nachos.

on the other hand, wondering if the dude who put the plastic bag over his baby's head is still on the roster... if so, I'll have a hard time rooting for him.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 28, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 28, 2010 1:08 PM
------------------------------------
Why?, because he's Black?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

10-6 and wildcard in 2011.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 1:06 PM

I'm thinking 7-3 in 2011.
LOCKOUT for 6 games!

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 28, 2010 1:11 PM
-------------------------------------------
just some questions..is this real?...someone did that?...or just an analagy?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"I'm sticking with 8-8 until injuries take a toll one way or the other."

So who do we face again?

The Good:

Dallas (2x), Indy, Titans, Vikings, Packers

The Bad:

Texans, Eagles(2x), Giants (2x), Bears

The Ugly:

Rams, Lions, Bucs, Jags

Out of the teams, I'd say the Bears and Texans might be much improved.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Larry Wiesman tweeted - Shannahan and Albert met (he is in town) and that Shannahan said before anything, Al has to pass a physical before he can practice.

Tell me why this is news? Doesnt every player have to pass a physical before the start of camp?

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

just some questions..is this real?...someone did that?...or just an analagy?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:17 PM
Darrion Scott, May 2008.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Why?, because he's Black?

Posted by: jcnjcnj

I am assuming your kidding. But if you are not it is because he is entering his 10th season in the NFL and has not had to do it yet. Turning and running with receivers does not come naturally and usually takes a player a year or two to pick it up. This is why you see college DEs drafted for the 3-4 OLB used as pass rush specialist their first year or two.

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Jason, usually love your stuff, and this one I mostly like. I DO take exception with your phrase that the Skins passed up more highly touted lineMEN. The passed up only ONE more highly touted lineman - Okung. I think history will prove that to be a fatal mistake. Okung is definitely athletic enough to excel in the "zone" blocking scheme. Add in his superior raw strength & technique and I think Shanahan/Allen whiffed on their 1st round OT.

Posted by: tnttoo | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@ srobert1117 | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM
---------------------------------------
i was kidding...thx for the come back

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

More coming out....

-Al starting with 2nd team Defense tomorrow; check that, he just wont be with first string.

-He will have to pass THEIR physical which is a conditioning test.

-Looked like to Shanny that he has lost the weight.

-If you were here for the offseason then you do not usually have to pass a conditioning

-CR22 still has not signed but is expected to

-BWestbrook still a possibility

-DMac contract; hopes for soon, but no timeline.

-Shanny pleased with AH's mindset

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

McNabb (+2)
Shanny(s) & Haslett (+3)
switch to 3-4 (-1)

8-8 in 2010, which would be a huge improvement.

10-6 and wildcard in 2011.

Posted by: Diesel44

In your own words, who cares

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@ kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM
-------------------------------------------
damn! that's F'd up...he should be cut on that alone...where is Roger on this?...if he can suspend Vick why is Scott in the league?

Bullsh!t justice!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

That was a shanny presser at the park highlights

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Jason, usually love your stuff......
Posted by: tnttoo | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM
-------------------------------------------
you must be Harvey!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 28, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The Ugly:

Rams, Lions, Bucs, Jags

If you're a fan of one of these teams, you guessed it, they think the Redskins belong on this ugly list also.

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

zeebs

You get today's gold star.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, make no mistake - until this team PROVES otherwise, we are the chick your friend asked you to take to the prom.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 28, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:30 PM

sounds good, link/source for anyone who wants to check it out?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that TWilliams NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER oversleeps.....thats just a deal breaker...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 28, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The nickel LBs will be BO & AC w/ 7 DBs
BO won't have his hand in the dirt unless it's in a 4-3 alignment

This isn't speculation, this is the starting lineup going into camp.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 12:23 PM

I'm sorry, is Blache back to coordinating the defense?

There can't possibly be a more epic mistake than to have 4 down lineman on a passing down and NOT have Orakpo as one of them. Standing him up at LB in a passing situation is an ideal way to get your ass fired before the season even starts.

If you've got a link to whatever material made you think that's the case, please share. But I have a hard time believing that AC and 'Rak will be the two LBs in a passing formation...even Jim Zorn during his "swinging gate" brain fart would call that galactically stupid...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:30 PM

sounds good, link/source for anyone who wants to check it out?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Sports reporters... am 980. shouold be in their audio vault soon. was transcribing Al Galdi from the park

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Dear Daniel Snyder,

After 10 years of mediocrity, I am writing you to express my enthusiam for the direction in which this team is headed. We still have the games to play, but thank you for organizing the front office with an experienced general manager and a proven championship coach.

For years, fans have begged you to hire "football people". I am confident that, in time, we will achieve our goal of winning a championship.

Please know that, unlike other "fair weather" fans, I am willing to be patient and watch the team develop. While I expect more wins than losses, you have my support because you have done what the fans have asked.

A Fan Forever,

SICWIDIT

P.S. Fu-k Lavar Arrington, John Riggins, Antwaan Randle-El and all those that hate you. I've got your back!

Posted by: rickyroge | July 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

hessone

The Ugly: Rams, Lions, Bucs, Jags

Out of that group, the lions might be ready to move up.

M Stafford is gamer and he, like M Sanchez, might take a big step up this year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:30 PM

sounds good, link/source for anyone who wants to check it out?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | July 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 28, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

So.....basically this is working out EXACTLY as I have predicted all along. Glad Haynesworth is going to suck it up and play, though I never had a doubt.

Posted by: Barno1

Weren't we just talking about posters that pat themselves on their backs if they're right and disappear when they aren't ? Introducing Barno1 folks.

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear Daniel Snyder,

A Fan Forever,

SICWIDIT

Posted by: rickyroge | July 28, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear Daniel Snyder,

A Fan Forever,

SICWIDIT

Posted by: rickyroge | July 28, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The nickel LBs will be BO & AC w/ 7 DBs
BO won't have his hand in the dirt unless it's in a 4-3 alignment

This isn't speculation, this is the starting lineup going into camp.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 12:23 PM

I'm sorry, is Blache back to coordinating the defense?

Posted by: brownwood26

Agreed having BO and Carter at LB in a nickel is retarded. For starters your alignment will have 13 players. 4 on the line, 2 LBs and 7 DBs. I assume you meant 5 DBs.

Having Carter not playing DE in a nickel package is grounds for firing. The guy has never played LB so they are going to ask him to do it on obvious passing downs instead of getting after the QB which is what he is good at.

Orakpo should be getting after the QB in this and the dime packages. If you do put him at OLB I hope that 90% of the time it is to move him around and blitz.

Posted by: srobert1117 | July 28, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

rickyroge = Moss on the tree that my dog's piss turned brown and died.

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

... dead or alive Haynesworth will be a Skins this year. Think about that for a while.

Posted by: abxinc |

I did and I think it's not your call.

BUT, the odds of your prediction being true have gone up with the improved health of Kemoeatu.

If he's starting at nose, and Al's in shape, and dominating at DE, bygones may well be bygones for the greater good.

If Al then moves over to the middle on passing downs without complaint and with enthusiasm and carnage, Mike takes that as a defacto apology, and keeps him knowing that a great season for Al is win-win-win. It helps justify Mike's boss's huge financial outlay, It helps Mike's team win, and enhances Al's trade value NEXT year.

Posted by: TheCork | July 28, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins had Dwight Freeney they'd probably stand him up and make him play LB too. Carter at LB is also a total joke.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 28, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Lets not get carried away. I too am usually optomistic at the start of a season, but I don't see McNabb as an all-pro, I think our running back situation adds up to mediocre, our receivers are not even mediocre and our O-line has question marks. There is potential in the O-line, Clinton could surprise us since he has worked hard this off-season and McNabb is better than Campbell. I do hope they utilize 2 TE's often. On defense our secondary is well below par, linebackers are good and can be very good, our d-line has questions, it can be average to great. Our special teams have so much turnover it is hard to predict, but it doesn't have any real proven players on it. 8-8

Posted by: tomdchancar | July 28, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Yo Diesel44, if there is football in 2011 it won't be 16 games. Maybe you should change your prediction to 5-4 with a wildcard spot.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 28, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse