Early buzz on Trent Williams? He's a 'work in progress'

Trent Williams won't likely forget his first snap wearing a Redskins' helmet. The rookie left tackle, who lined up with the first-team offensive line, learned right away that the NFL is different from college football.

Center Casey Rabach snapped the ball, and, suddenly, Williams was surrounded by commotion.

"Everybody was gone," Williams said. "I was still in my stance."

That was Friday, the first day of minicamp. But coaches and Williams report that he performed a lot better on Day 2, and the early returns on Williams' first minicamp as a pro were positive.

We talked to all of the key figures Saturday afternoon, and here's what they reported about Williams' first practices in a Redskins uniform.

Chris Foerster, offensive line coach: "Yesterday he was a little bit, 'Okay, it's like this every single snap, every single day? Okay.' He came in today, he was on it, he was better."

Donovan McNabb, quarterback: "I thought he looked great. He's a big guy with great feet and that was kind of the rep coming out of college -- very athletic kid, great size, excellent run and pass blocker. So we're definitely seeing it out here and he's only going to get better. We're all going to get better together and he'll be able to gain more and more confidence as we continue on."

Mike Shanahan, coach: "We decided to put him right in the fire right away, see how he'd adjust. He's done a pretty good job. It's two days, though. It's a little quick. But it's a long process. It's nice to have him here in May, June and obviously July. We've got some time. We just try to hit it day by day, if we get better each day and try to do something special."

Trent Williams: "Everybody told me that the game was faster. But I'm thinking how when I came from high school, college ball was faster, but it wasn't that fast. When I got here, I thought I may adjust to it a little quicker than I did coming out of high school, but that really wasn't the story."

Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator: "It's early; not enough time to give you a great evaluation. But you don't have to look long to realize how talented of a player we have. He's extremely talented. We're just throwing him in the fire right now, throwing a lot at him, seeing what sticks. We're throwing a lot at him, so he's gradually slowing down because he's thinking and not reacting. ... We know he'll get worse before he gets better. It's a work in progress."

By Rick Maese  |  May 8, 2010; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  Kyle Shanahan , Minicamp , Offensive line , Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McIntosh on Redskins' minicamp: 'It was just time to come in'
Next: McNabb bonds with wide receivers as he adjusts to Redskins

Comments

Welcome to the NFL...Rookie!

Posted by: clark202 | May 8, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ready, set, what?...the play is over already?

Get up to speed fast, Buddy!

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | May 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

WORLD CUP TIME!

Posted by: Juninho | May 8, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Uh-Oh...

Posted by: WRBD | May 8, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Early buzz on Trent Williams? He's a 'work in progress'"

He's got May, June, and July to get his game tight.

The major focus, though, should be the Class of '08 receivers--D Thomas/M Kelly.

The line has adequate tackle protection,and the line overall will be much improved.

But you have to hope the team didn't add McNabb only to have him try to conduct a passing game with Moss/Cooley and 2 receivers who just aren't ready for prime time....

....after 3 years.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 8, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody was gone," Williams said. "I was still in my stance."

that should provide some material for Moe or Red, if they're paying attention.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I love it when Donovan McNabb speaks. Feels like he's been with us for a long time but it's his first year here.. incredible.

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 8, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Get it out of your system now while the QB is still wearing the red jersey.

Posted by: edvar | May 8, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

and beeps yet again.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"Something tells me Santana is gonna get traded."

Don't think so.

But the early bet is that two players from Miami might not be redskins season after next:

Santana Moss

Clinton Portis

Other than age and mileage, is there some other reason why these two Canes won't be redskins come the 2011 season?

UMMMMM, UMMMMMM, UMMMMMM I'd prefer not to speculate.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 8, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Tell me again why they took this guy instead of Okung?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 8, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Tell me again why they took this guy instead of Okung?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 8, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Translation: Maybe we should have taken Okung...

Posted by: mojo975 | May 8, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"Work in progress" is the kiss of death. You can count on one hand the good redskin draft picks in the last 20 years. Some things never change. They should just stick to their preferred method. Watch the other teams develop stars then try to sign them away. There's no way they are going to find their own.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | May 8, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a question on your part...

because you were not welcome at
mini-camp and you didn't see him...so why ask a question like that?

because..you have nothing else

Posted by: terpsez11 | May 11, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

I know this is a question on your part...

because you were not welcome at
mini-camp and you didn't see him...so why ask a question like that?

because..you have nothing else