Linemen go 1-on-1 in practice

Redskins coaches mixed in a few new drills at practice Tuesday and for the first time since training camp opened last week, players squared off against each other in 1-on-1s.

Perhaps the most intriguing battle pitted Brian Orakpo, last year's first-round draft choice, against Trent Williams, the fourth overall pick this year. By all accounts, it was a pretty even match.

"I've got a couple of things I still got to work on. I didn't get my butt whupped or anything," Williams said.

The offensive and defensive linemen squared off in a far corner of the practice field, which made it difficult for fans and reporters alike to follow the blow-by-blow. But one player who did fare well was nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu, who was pitted against center Casey Rabach.

Because his Achilles was still healing, Kemoeatu didn't participate in 1-on-1s during minicamps or the organized team activities (OTAs), so Tuesday marked the first time in about a year that he did the drill.

"I love 1-on-1s," he said. "It's a constant competition. It just gets everybody's blood flowing."

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan has kept the team in full 11-on-11 team drills for much of training camp, but said he does see value in the 1-on-1s and will hold them occasionally throughout the remainder of training camp.

"You get a chance to match people up," he said. "It's not always a realistic situation. But we put guys in awkward situations where it's you against that person, just see how guys compete and how guys fare over different players."

Shanahan will also pit receivers versus defensive backs and blitzing linebackers against running backs.

By Rick Maese  |  August 3, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo , Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth: Status quo
Next: Shanahan not sold on Favre retirement

Comments

------------------------

Oh right. Giggety.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 3, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

This is more like it... Good for guys to be put out there on an island in practice... it does happen in the game and you've got win these matchups. Survival of the fittest!

Posted by: EinVB | August 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The new posts come fast and firstuos

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 3, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The new posts come fast and firstuos

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 3, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Ever think about Alaskan politics or 16th century play writing?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

That's good to hear.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 3, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Dear Diary

What a difference a day makes. Started out the morning in Mommy’s basement playing video games -– and by the end of the afternoon I was in the middle of the Washington Redskins defensive line getting schooled on the finer points of the 3-4 defensive scheme.

“It’s really not all that difficult,” explained some big guy by the name of Kimmy-Do-wack-ado or something. “You pretend you’re Haystacks Calhoun or BamBam Bigalow – you know, big, mean and immovable. You stand there and take up space. If somebody comes your way, you knock ‘em over. If somebody comes your way with a ball in their hands, you knock ‘em over and sit on ‘em.”

He continued, “ Don’t touch the Irish guy over there in the yellow shirt with the crosshatched 5 (that is, “$”) on his jersey. If they try to rush at you with more than three or four guys, push a couple of them to your left and right to the defensive ends, but always keep your eye on the ball and try to knock over and sit on the guy that has it.”

So that’s what I did. All through the afternoon and into the early evening.

I must have done pretty well, because by the end of the day -- they were all calling me “Rook.”

I guess it was an honor -- because as practice started to wrap up they all took off their pads and stacked them in the middle of the field.

“Hey Rook,” asked Kimmy, “can you carry those back to the locker room?”

“You bet,” I replied, eager to prove my teamsmanship. “But where are Albert’s pads?”

“They’re in that large blue and white box over there,” Kimmy said. “You see it. The big box with the word, ‘KOTEX’ stenciled on the side.”

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Play on playa...play on

Report: Vikings prepared to offer Favre money, time

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 1:41 PM ET

Regardless of whether Vikings quarterback Brett Favre is getting the word out about his Third Annual Retirement in order to buy time or more money from the team, the end result is that he'll likely be offered more time and/or money from the team.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Vikings are prepared to offer more money to Favre, over and above his current $13 million, and more time to join the team.

Either way, we still think Favre will play.

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I could beat Albert Shuttleworth in a 1-on-1 drill.

At the whistle, I'd toss a Twinkie onto the ground to my right and after Haynes-girth instinctively and reflexively dove for it, I'd kick him in his fat face with a follow through that would make Graham Gano proud.

I'd hold up both hands staring down the rest of the surrounding team with an "Is this all you go for me" expression and simply say...

"What!"

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

vic, what is that??? is that your attempt at humor, or help me out here...you've posted it numerous times....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Being paired with Rabach in 1-on-1 drills for someone returning from achilles surgery = putting training wheels on the bike of a recent tricycle graduate.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2010 1:57 PM

Busted on the recycling of material.

Ouch-eeeee.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I could beat Albert Shuttleworth in a 1-on-1 drill.

"What!"

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 1:54 PM

I could go for a twinkie right now... do they still make them? I'm sure they look alot smaller than I remember.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Vic-
Thats the funniest thing I have read on here all year. Im sure the other folks in the office are wondering why I am cleaning sprite off my computer screen right now. Awesome!

Posted by: mitchell2131 | August 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Beans

Thanks for asking. "Camp Diaries." It's an almost true daily series on an overweight 50-something asthmatic* with a heart condition who passed his off-season conditioning test and led your Washington Redskins to the 2011 Superbowl.

*Who is also willing to play for $100 a game and free pass to the post-game buffet.

PS -- It's not exactly as scintillating as your PFT posts, but I'm trying...

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Busted on the recycling of material.

Ouch-eeeee.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Beg to differ. No recycled products here.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes Vic, that was awesome!!!

Posted by: jiza32 | August 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"In the Redskins' new 3-4 defense, only one outside linebacker regularly has significant coverage responsibility. The position is nicknamed the "Buck" linebacker, and standout second-year player Brian Orakpo will fill the key role this season.

"

DID ANYBODY SHOW HASLETT A VIDEO OF ORAKPO's COVERAGE SKILLS?

Terrible at best......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"

DID ANYBODY SHOW HASLETT A VIDEO OF ORAKPO's COVERAGE SKILLS?

Terrible at best......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 2:16 PM

Nah, I am sure they just watched the talent he displayed as a 21 year old rookie in THE PRO BOWL.

Thanks for playing though. It was a cute effort.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I just called my California Psychic and the Redskins are going to go 10-6 and Albert is going to the Pro-Bowl.

My slap chop should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to try my nuts.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I heard yesterday that Rabach schooled one of the backup NT's. I guess Kemoeatu wanted to show him what a real nose tackle was like. BTW, Rabach has always struggled with nose tackles. Just the fact that he beat the guy yesterday (I think it was Bryant) should lead the team to question what they have at nose tackle. It's good Kemo represented today. He's going to be a beast.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Even match with Williams and Orakpo- a good sign of things to come.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that Orakpo is "terrible" in coverage based off one one year, his rookie year at that.

They should cut his non-covering ass before it's too late.

Ca'mon cut him, he's trash!!! CA'MAAAAAN, DOOWIT NAOW!!!!!

So much for getting better with time. I guess Orakpo has already hit his ceiling in year two... who knew???

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

My slap chop should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to try my nuts.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 3, 2010 2:23 PM

"Should" arrive? Thought you were talking to a psychic. If your SlapChop doesn't arrive in time, are you going to send it back until they deliver it in the prescribed amount of time?

I do like the Sham Wow however. One of those could absorb all the sweat from every player's sack and then you could wring it out into Shuttleworth's helmet while he's standing around looking like the most unhappy multi-millionaire on earth.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I just left an upper-decker in Fat Albert's toilet.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for playing though. It was a cute effort.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 3, 2010 2:23 PM

Obviously, you didn't watch last season.

Pro bowls are popularity contest. He didn't go to the PB because of his coverage skills, which costs us like 2 games atleast....He went because of his sack totals compared to other rookies.

TEs were killing him on 3rd downs and red zone possesions.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Even match with Williams and Orakpo- a good sign of things to come.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 2:33 PM
-----------------------------------------
Not sure if this means Williams is holding his own or if Orakpo is suffering the sophomore slump. One of the writers suggested that Orakpo has underwhelmed so far. It sounds like he's still thinking instead of playing instinctively. I hope he gets the 3-4 down before the regular season starts. They are putting a lot on his shoulders.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

No one is allowed to besmirch Brian Orakpo's good name.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I will once again be an optimist and vote the former.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Guys were cutting in line to go up against Rabach

Posted by: coparker5 | August 3, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for the DBs and WR one-on-one drills where the WR will be cutting the line to go up Carlos Rogers. One double move and its butter baby! To the house!

Posted by: clark202 | August 3, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse