Trent Williams bruises elbow, battles Terrell Suggs

Rookie left tackle Trent Williams suffered an elbow contusion after getting hit by a helmet on his right arm, he said.

Williams came out of the locker room after halftime with the arm in a sling, but he said it was precautionary and that X-rays were negative. Williams said the injury should not keep him out.

"It's fine. I just caught a helmet to the forearm," Williams said.

It was a rough outing for the 2010 first round draft pick in the second preseason game of his career.

Williams drew a tough assignment, facing Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs, and he was beaten on more than one occasion.

"It wasn't nothing I couldn't handle," Williams said. "I felt like I did pretty well on him for the most part. He got the edge on me a couple times but he's an awesome player, so you got to expect that sometimes."

With 1:20 remaining in the first quarter and the Redskins facing third and 1, Williams was driven into the backfield by Suggs, preventing running back Larry Johnson from picking up the first down on a three-yard loss.

With 9:41 remaining in the half, Williams was beaten on the edge by Suggs, who sacked quarterback Donovan McNabb for a four-yard loss.

"I felt like I had him at good depth I just I thought the quarterback had already released the ball or stepped up," Williams said. "So I just got to keep playing to the whistle but I felt like I had him blocked."

Williams was also called for a false start, his third penalty of the preseason. The rookie was called for false start and illegal formation last week in the Redskins preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills.

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 22, 2010; 2:00 AM ET
Categories:  Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins fear Moore could miss four to six weeks
Next: Poll: Do you believe Haynesworth?

Comments

McNabb should have stepped up on that sack.

I'm noticing... Lot of people willing to excuse McNabb's errors. JC's, not so much. Deja Vu on getting the ball stripped just like JC did in the opening game against the Giants last year.

For what it's worth, Campbell took another beating behind the Raider's NO Line against Chicago.

Colt may finally get his chance in the NFL out there.

Trent Williams needs to get his sloppy rear in better shape, too. Dude is still floundering quite a bit for a young, supposedly athletic type.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 22, 2010 2:28 AM | Report abuse

dude, he's a rookie. Chill.

Posted by: pgugino | August 22, 2010 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Good for him to get beat by Suggs. Great learning experience for him. This stuff is invaluable.

Although the Ravens were turds for playing hard to win a preseason game. They clearly prepped for us while we prepped for the season. Fake punts? Seriously? The Z-man must have called that one.

Posted by: lordtwang | August 22, 2010 4:05 AM | Report abuse

dude, he's a rookie. Chill.

Posted by: pgugino | August 22, 2010 3:22 AM

Yeah, he's a rookie and he was going against one of the best. Getting beaten is understandable. Still, I'd like to see Trent Williams work on that gut... maybe take a little shimmy off that waddle. It cant hurt for him to be in great shape, a little quicker.

I like Williams. He can be good. I just hope he takes advantage of his physical gifts and augments them until he is unbeatable... The sooner the better, I guess is what I'm saying. By Two weeks from now would be just about ideal!

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 22, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

"I'm noticing... Lot of people willing to excuse McNabb's errors."

That's because until he got his ankle hurt he made plays. He gets the benefit of the doubt since JC can't make plays even when he does have a healthy o-line.

Davis catches that ball it's a TD. They had a missed FG. That's 7 points they took off the board, I'm more concerend about that and the injuries.

The starters wern't that bad, it kills me how if the Redskins lose how people shred the team on here. If they win it's "We're going to the SB!!!!"

It's pre-season, please be realistic. Nobody EVER remembers who wins the pre-season.

EVAR!!!!

- Ray

PS - Redskins, please send Fat Albert home where he can tell himself how great he is in the mirror all day. He'll never get it.

Posted by: rmcazz | August 22, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@rmcazz

Great call. I was expecting way worse from the Redskins to be honest. New QB, behind a new OL, in a new scheme (that includes blocking)-- I thought we did rather well considering. We punched the Raven's offense in the mouth, our offense showed we could march the ball down the field on one of the best defenses, and we left 2 or 3 TDs out there due to dropped passes (but ALL of those were catchable).

I wasn't impressed at all with the Ravens' 1st team offense. And the 1st team defense got exposed up the middle zone time and time again w/ the pass. It also seemed like the Raven's were throwing the kitchen sink on defense while the 'Skins were vanilla at best.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | August 22, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

On the stale subject of AH:

Haynesworth said. "But, I mean, next year I'm not coming either. I'm going to be with my trainer again and I'll get back in the same shape I am and feel good about myself."

He IS joking, right? He got into camp incapable of running an f-ing shuttle run. What kind of shape does he think he's in?!

He's complaining of playing in the 2nd half. Why? He's hardly stepped onto the field this offseason and is in a brand new D he's never been a part of. This guy's work ethic really sucks. He expects to be given respect without putting the work in because of his 1-2 good years 2-3 years ago? Sorry, Bud. You gotta show something NOW to get any respect and the privileges given to the real starters.

It's time to man up and just shut up. Please keep your word and stop being a distraction to this team like you said you wouldn't be.

Also, were you dizzy and puking for the 3 straight days you missed practices? You better have the onset of a brain hemorrhage to miss that much time because of dizziness. Tell me again how great your offseason conditioning program was. You should get a refund and your trainer should be discredited and barred from "training" other "athletes".

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Man I fu***** hate the press sometimes. Way to spin his outing into a complete failure. Why don't you note his pluses as well? Just because we lost a meaningless game, doesn't mean that negative should be accompanied by more negativity.

Posted by: BurgwithaU | August 22, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

positive - Armstrong looks like he can be a playmaker at wr

negative - LJ looked terrible, Carter continues to look like Frankenstein playing LB

Posted by: coparker5 | August 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

TW hopefully learned a lot from his match- up against Suggs. Game film doesn't lie; he'll see why he got pushed back so frequently. He learned quick in NCAA; he'll learn as quick against the best that NFL has to offer.....

... it takes time to develop, to rebuild and thats what 2010 is about.

And lets not forget about August 13, 2009, M&T Stadium, Ravens 23, Redskins 0.

Patience...

Injuries to starters will cripple the season; very shallow roster depth

Posted by: psssst | August 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about the Silverback, he'll be an asset to the team. I saw Micheal Oher get beat a few times by Orakpo and Wilson and he's in his second year.
I thought the starters were respectable while they were in, McNabb had over 200 yards in just a half. If Portis was in there, we probably would have had a running game. Good game for the Skins to build off of. And don'r forget, the Cowboys still look worse than us.

Posted by: unquiltom | August 22, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Nothing to worry about, shanny admitted we passed a lot to assess WRs. Pass-blocking is a chore for any lineman.

Posted by: waqarish | August 23, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse