Trent Williams expects to play against Colts

With Dwight Freeney lurking on Sunday, the Redskins could definitely use the services of Trent Williams. Thursday's good news: The rookie left tackle says he expects to be able to play.

Williams suffered a knee injury late in last Sunday's win over the Packers. An MRI revealed no structural damage earlier this week, and Williams said Thursday morning he'll be healthy enough to face the Indianapolis Colts.

The injury forced Williams to finish last Sunday's game on the sidelines. He said when he woke up Monday morning, he was still in a lot of pain, but he apparently feels better now. After watching his knee buckle on film, Williams said he's grateful the injury isn't worse.

"It looked nasty. It kind of gave me chills," Williams said. "I'm glad it was something minor and not major."

Williams said the injury is unrelated to the knee injury that forced him to miss games at St. Louis and Philadelphia. He said he didn't suffer from knee problems in college, though he will at least consider wearing a brace this week.

"I ain't convinced yet that I need a brace," he said. "But I might. My mama want me to, so..."

"It was just kind of one of those things that just happened," he added. "It had nothing to do with my prior injury. It was just football and making a wrong plant. Leg just give out. That's kind of what happened."

While the team had only a walk-through scheduled for Thursday because of the rain, Williams said he would have participated fully had the team been able to hold a regular practice. Williams missed Wednesday's practice, which means he has very little time to prepare for Freeney on the practice field.

He said that facing talented pass rushers like Mario Williams, Clay Matthews and DeMarcus Ware hasn't necessarily prepped him for the Colts' talented defensive end.

"I don't know if anybody in the world can prepare you for Freeney," Williams said. "He's just a different type of guy. He brings a load of different moves. You got to study him and even that, you're still not really safe. He brings everything. It's going to be a challenge."

How big of a challenge?

"It's nerve-racking," he said. "You definitely think about it before you go to sleep at night. He's that dominant of a player."

By Rick Maese  | October 14, 2010; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins defense will be challenged by Peyton Manning's deceptions
Next: Fred Davis is not producing as much as expected

Comments

Good news...I guess.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 14, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

who gives a f u c k what you post you POS

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

RE: Redskins defense will be challenged by Peyton Manning's deceptions

Recalling how effective he last week was in imitating Eagle quarterback Michael Vick -- which many Redskin Outsiders believe was vital preparation that led to a Washington victory in Philly -- Redskins kick returner Brandon Banks has been invited back this week for a repeat performance -- and assigned a starring role on the practice squad as the big guy himself -- the immutable Peyton Manning.

To study up for the role, Banks allegedly visited a local psycho ward and had numerous up close and personal interactions with several Tourettes Syndrome patients -- to get a better sense of the unique neuropsychiatric disorder that often manifests itself in a series of uncontrolled movements, twitches and other tics, and more rarely, through the unexpected and uncontrolled blurting out of obscene, socially inappropriate, and derogatory remarks.

Apparently, the Redskins are trying to find some way to prepare for Manning's unorthodox approach to handling play calls, audibles, and snap counts.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 14, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 14, 2010 11:27 AM |

I agree. But what I saw on the replay was that KM didn't even make a move to tackle BJ until it was too late. It was like he was asleep at the wheel. But he has made a lot of good plays too, and good tackles as well (remember the Vick sandwich he made with DH?), so we will overlook this mistake, even if it ended up being a glaring one.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

lol..."broad jumping". I hear the starting Cowgirls QB is an expert pole vaulter.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

to get a better sense of the unique neuropsychiatric disorder that often manifests itself ... , and more rarely, through the unexpected and uncontrolled blurting out of obscene, socially inappropriate, and derogatory remarks.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 14, 2010 11:37 AM |

You know, I always had a feeling that DMV dude wasn't right in the head.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

who gives a f u c k what you post you POS

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 11:36 AM |

Interesting. We could achieve even better wordplay with:

who gives a f u c k what you post you POST

where

POST = Piece Of Shti Turd

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Heard J. Clayton of ESPN say the Skins might be interested in acquiring Shawn "Lights Out" Merriman. What you guys think? Do they always think the Skins may acquire a big time free agent or could he really help the pass rushing defense?

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

They could make a montage of all of his dropped interceptions and put it to music.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 11:38 AM

That would have to be a very very long song.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

POST = Piece Of Shti Turd

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:47 AM |

excellent observation artic

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 14, 2010 11:40 AM |

When I was attending Columbia and was a member of the cross country team I used to train by jogging up to Harlem and giving peeps there the finger and then running like hell back to Columbia.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like the same nightmare Jake used to have the night before facing LT.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 14, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 14, 2010 11:50 AM

If he's healthy, he helps BIG time. OLB is a need here and he'd be a great pickup at the right price and if he's healthy. Gotta think the Skins at least kick his tires...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Moe- FYI, 10.22 seconds in the 100m (non wind aided) would've gotten you out of the prelim heats, past the quarters and into the semifinals in the 2009 IAAF World Championships. Again, considering we're talking about a teenage kid whose primary focus was probably football and not sprinting, I'd say that's pretty amazing.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

who gives a f u c k what you post you POS

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 11:36 AM |

Blow me.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Good news! Hail the Silverback!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | October 14, 2010 11:58 AM

Join the club...my nerves have been racked all season.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

racist POS

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Beeps, bring the racism and name calling along!

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton ran a 10.7-100m in HS.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

racist POS

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 12:22 PM |

Interesting observation. Apparently, this blog is the only place on the planet where I am considered a racist, rapist, murderer, kidnapper, gay basher and pedophile all rolled into one.

My response? I cannot even think of one that's worth thinking about.

Here's what I see, honestly:

The majority here are fairly interested in commenting on the latest threads relative to the goings-on with the Redskins. Since the threads are few and far between as far as blogs go, this blog devolves more into commeting on comments, fact-checking, hair splitting and slinging insults at those who disagree.

Dude, I am all for that and if you read me regularly, there can't be many as thoughtful or insightful as I effort to be when putting forth my offerings.

I get the same lame comments as anyone if I am even one degree off from what one of the more sensitive-types in here post. The only difference is that I see most of those people as so utterly retarded and unhappy with their lives that what ever I say back to them needs to be shocking else they just won't comprehend my personal disgust with them and/or their ancillary take which is almost 100% taken and written out of the appropriate context.

So, all in all, I am going to continue to check in here every so often and post my offerings accordingly and for those really sad folks that either can't take a joke or take this entirely too seriously, I will aim to perpetuate my being a thorn in your side. And, since it bugs you so much, the odds are (to the doosh bags of this blog), the odds are that you few ARE broke, unattractive, jobless and either living with your mother or in some dilapidated dwelling in serious need or repair. Even though this place is forgotten the nanosecond I minimize or close this window, while I am here I enjoy a great deal of pleasure stomping you and grinding you into the ground like the cockroaches you are.

Owned.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton ran a 10.7-100m in HS.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 12:28 PM

Then he fumbled the baton.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 14, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 12:39 PM
----------------------------------

you are a racist POS i pulled your card this pass August...but you have the other things wrong..you are not a gay basher...because you're a homo...as far a murderer, kidnapper...you wish...pedophile..still to be determined

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 14, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow, No_Punt_Intended... You really are quite insecure, aren't you. You write quite well, but your words betray you as someone who needs to reassure himself through his "owning" (based on insults on a blog no less) of other posters on this site.
Please, talk to someone.

Posted by: jagle | October 14, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I thought NPI's post was well written however, I would have used the phrase "try to be" instead of "effort to be". The latter makes it seem he/she is trying too hard.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

you know what you do with Dwight Freeney?---run the ball right at him---a lot... wear him down. he doesn't have the size to fight off big OTs like Williams all day long. run it right at him over and over-trust me.

Posted by: danminter | October 14, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

That sounds positive. What's up with our other (sometime) starting tackle? Is someone ever going to write on the subject of whether or not he is really over that hip injury from last year or is struggling and can't really be counted on?

Posted by: northvajim2 | October 14, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse