Trent Williams passes test against DeMarcus Ware

Not surprisingly, Redskins rookie left tackle Trent Williams faced a major challenge Sunday night against Dallas star linebacker DeMarcus Ware. Often lined up opposite Williams during the Redskins' 13-7 victory at FedEx Field, Ware had six unassisted tackles, sacked quarterback Donovan McNabb for a 10-yard loss, had three tackles for losses and hit McNabb twice. Williams also was called for a false start.

"He's as advertised," Williams said of Ware. "He's a great pass rusher, one of the best in the league. ... I had a big test in front of me."

On the sack, Ware beat Williams to the inside with a juke move. "He got me a couple plays," Williams said. "Overall, I think I pretty much held my own."

Williams said he was frustrated about the false start. "That could have cost us," he said. "I got to talking at the line, and didn't hear the cadence. I just heard, 'Hut,' so I went. Rookie mistake."

Overall, Williams did well against Ware, he said. "I think I was about two or three plays off from nearly a perfect game," he said. "So back to the drawing board."

And apparently, not just for Williams.

"We've seen stuff we could have improved on, but Dallas has a great defense," Williams said. "They're great up front, great secondary. So we went up against a great defense, and we did mediocre. We're gonna go in the meeting room and make changes so we can do better next week."

By Jason Reid  |  September 13, 2010; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive line strategy creates competition for Dockery
Next: Josh Bidwell shaky at times in victory

Comments

Overheard last night, just after the holding call on barron on the final play --

Dan Snyder "Really!!"
jerruh jones "really??"
Papa John pizza guy "free toppings for everyone -- REALLY!!!"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The best thing last night was the girls fans still cheering and wondering why the skins fans were cheering... must have been crushing!!!

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I see a Cowgirl fan today I'm gonna go up to them, turn around, and drop a juicy, stinky fart on 'em.

Oh yeah!!!!!!

Today, is officially, "Fart on a Cowboys fan" day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the current Eagles trainwreck... who the h*ll on their sidelines made the decision to send Bradley back in after he was concussed so badly that he couldn't even stand up.

I hope they get fined for that dumb move. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned on playing him in the second half and only declared him out because someone from the league called and told him that everyone watching at home saw that guy stumbling around like a drunk...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 13, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

no doubt Ware had a good game. Still TW delivered better than we got out of Heyer the past few season when thrust into that position. Will be interesting to see how the match up works next time when Dallas has film on out offense and TW has a bit more experience. Nice to see a draft pick panning out - at least at this early stage.

Moe called it during halftime during the game. We needed a field goal to ice the game and got one. LJ should have to run windsprints for his mental error in going out of bounds to stop the clock and delivered nothing tangible of value during the course of the game. Armstrong was at least as productive as ARE was. Sellers not nearly as procutive as he was three seasons ago. Punter had some decent kicks but the hold and the weak punt to set up the Dallas TD were huge mistakes.

The offense needs to get up to speed quickly.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

That must have been amazing!!!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan: The man can coach.

He won the game, and he won it on his terms.

AH: Dude got his 16 snaps at NT. I really don't think he did a bad job at all, he is right, he did his job and played his assignments. If he wants more, he will have to show it in practice and earn it. Point is that Shanny had the stones to only play him for 16 snaps.

And IF Shanny has BA trying to work a deal to get VJAX here either via Tenn or straight up, its a) smart to get what you can out of him until Vjax is eligible, and B) Not make AH some HUGE loss the D can not withstand. And IF the deal falls through, AH will either submit or sit. From my view, he already has submitted, and is now working his way towards more snaps.

I even like the immediate do over to AA at the goal line. The Shanny's both know they need a playmaker on Offense, and another WR with chops. They tried as hard as they could to get AA going. It was a worthwhile gamble that didn't pan out. He catches either of those balls and a rising star is born. Smart.

Same with the Oline subbing. It just makes sense. Raise the play and loyalty of the UNIT by subbing in fresh parts.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I could rewind and watch that all day...really, I could, I'm unemployed

HAIL!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Today, is officially, "Fart on a Cowboys fan" day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Cool, but tell me something, how do you fart on yourself???

Posted by: monk811 | September 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

nate

"...Because, as you have to admit, we've seen Heyer look terrible."

He looked sorry playing in the power-blocking scheme of St Joe and Zorn.

But Shanahan's zone-cut block system may fit his talents better.

In other words, you may wonder if Heyer was just a square peg in a round hole the entire time J Buges was coaching him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

i think i know how newspaper business works now. no matter how bad of a reporter a person is you just put them in a slot and they become instant experts on subjects that they're covering.

sometimes you get lucky like with TK or the guy who's in dallas but most of the times you get jason reids.

71 was awesome. CC was a fan. i really like how CC analyzed the game last night. he actually provided some insight. the play that miles austin scored on...he actually told you what happened on the play (RD's fault not CR's).

Posted by: dealer1 | September 13, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

Made it a point to leave a silent but deadly emission behind when I left the convenience store where two of my favorite Cowboys fans work and yap. All in your honor bud...and a product of having McD's for breakfast today.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

From where I was sitting , this team looked Ok at best . A lot of work needs to be done yeat ! A win is a win ( W )!!! No matter how ugly it looks !!! HAIL !

Posted by: killerskunk63 | September 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan: The man can coach.

He won the game, and he won it on his terms.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 13, 2010 1:56 PM

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

i've never heard tha stadium that loud EVER!!! you couldn't hear the officials!!!! how cool is that?!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I respectfully disagree about AA and two same plays.

Mike jenkins is a good if not great CB. He made it hard enough on the first throw not to get beat... 2nd one he saw coming all the way.

The same play = ok, to the same small wr to just get him going at a crucila junction of a close game = not ok...

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"I love that the Texans won yesterday. They will come up here already 'satisfied.' The Colts' D-line can't stop the run and they don't pretend to be able to. . . . I think our defense is stronger than we thought it might be but there is a lot of room for improvement."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 13, 2010 1:25 PM

Agreed, but if we don't play the run A LOT better than we did last night, Foster might gash us for 200+ yards and multiple TDs like he did the Colts. Based on Foster's 33 carries, we can't count on Kubiak straying from the ground game like Garrett and Phillips stupidly did. They were averaging 4.7 yards per carry but threw the ball over TWICE as often as they ran it, with a sieve of an O-line? That's beyond idiotic.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | September 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

SPecial teams must improve and soon...

Let's get Keiland Williams some touches, LJ didn't give us anything and he could've cost us the game running outta bounds late. Unacceptable from an 8 yr vet.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I respectfully disagree about AA and two same plays.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Hugh, those fast food meals can really turn into some devastating SBD's. Way to leave those Cowgirl fans to wallow in some nice funk!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

ah, moveable type, must be the regular season

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys lost the game because they panicked.

Posted by: DoomsDayD | September 13, 2010 1:31 PM

Nope. Skins were just better. Furthermore...it's 15 hours since the game ended and you're still in a Redskins fan blog wallowing in excuses and metaphorical cow dung. You're a loser GloomsDay...so it looks like you're rooting for the appropriate team. See ya in Dec. Buhbye now.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

well said Monte. haha!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 13, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"LJ didn't give us anything"

I generally agree, but he did Knock Ware out'tha game!

Also whats with the haters....of course we aren't a well oiled machine...duh we were 4-12 last season and in absolute institutional shambles on any metric in which you judge an NFL org.

Yet on opening night 2010 we opened with renewed excitement, played hard, mistakes to a minimum (TO/Penalties...) won a physical street fight against a hated division rival....excuse me if I am going to enjoy today!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Shoot, after watching last night I'm certain the freaking Maryland Terps could beat the dallASS cowgirls.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

SO happy about Trent Williams. Showed a lot last night.

And yeah, Moe, I hear you about Heyer. Look, I would LOVE to see his career get a jump start this season, since the more heroes along the O line the better.

I'm just wary of him because of the past few seasons... and as I said, I was completely unprepared to see him in the game last night, and it scared the hell out of me. Momentarily. I'm much better now :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

what's so wonderful about this game? Knowing that 'puke fans are so hurting today. You know they so want to call out that ref ... but they KNOW the call was correct.

More youtube video to inflict the pain that 'puke fans deserve.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Can't hate on the teams performance. Things could have gone much worse and we were lucky to get the win. But it's a win.

Didn't see stupid challenges.

Didn't see idiotic gadget plays.

Didn't see dear in headlights look from our QB.

Didn't see blown coverage from the O line.

I'll take it for the first week. It speaks to our organizations....well...organization.

Posted by: Gweez | September 13, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Nate, are you a Terp?

Why was Heyer subbing in for Brown?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 13, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

And don't forget everyone, yesterday Jason Campbell looked like an absolute stud in carrying and leading the Raiders to victory.

Oh wait, he looked like the same joker when he was here, that makes much more sense.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Most the Cowpie fans in the bar I was in left at half time...somehow sensing the empending outcome of the game. They wear their Cowboy garb purchased at Wal-Mart (Yes, Cowboy stuff in Wal-Mart here in New Mexico) and made in China. The letters of the names of their favorite players peeling off from: a)cheap materials, or b)they wearing their garb as often as possible.

One Cowboy fan left in the bar at the end. A fat white chick with a #9 Romo jersey--from Wal-mart--probably, whom I brought home and showed her what a real man was... A Redskin fan!

I told her my name was MistaMoe.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

To give LJ a litle credit, his run immediately following his idiotic run out of bounds was a very nice 8-yard run. That could have easily been stopped for 3 or 4 yards.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

beeps peeps, more (sigh) AH drama

Posted by: shanahanman | September 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Heavens no, LMG. I'm a UVa man. (And darned glad that my alma mater has apparently fielded a decent football team this fall. It's been a while.)

The Reid thread said Shanny is going to make a habit of rotating some of the O linemen, Lichtensteiger for Dockery and Heyer for Brown.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

shanahanman, I don't see it -- maybe it was a false start on Moveable Type... wouldn't be the first time.

While we're waiting, happy birthday, zeke (zcezcest). Hail to you, dude.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, 2nd one he saw coming. But, the 1st one he never saw and it bounced off the hands of AA. Shoulda and coulda caught the 1st one. Didn't like running the same play twice though. Don't remember if it was the 1st one or 2nd one but it looked like Cooley cut in under AA and was wide open after breaking Keith "WWE" Brooking's ankles with a nice move outside. Wide friggin open.

But I digress, we won so I'm happy. Not satisfied, but happy. We're going to need to step up our D-line play and WR hands (including Sellers). He used to be Mr. Dependable. Now he looks more like Mr. Rogers (Carlos with hands of stone, not the pedophile wanting to befriend neighborhood children).

Posted by: HTTR | September 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Shanahanaman.... ? really? whar?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I told her my name was MistaMoe.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 13, 2010 2:21 PM |

Now that's funny right there !!!!!

Posted by: hessone | September 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah nate, that was weird and my post was deleted. oh well

Posted by: shanahanman | September 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Zeke! HpyBdy!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 13, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I posted this a few threads back....but how hysterically pathetic was that K. Brookings pre game rant......wow.....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Dallas Cowboys stink worse than a rotten-egg fart that's been trapped in a thermos for 4 weeks!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

T-Dub was very impressive in his first outing. Liked it.

OT: Jacory Harris can bite me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"We'll scratch their eyes out! And put their pig-tails in the ink-well! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!" -- Keith Brookings

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Zeke! HpyBdy!

Thanks for the analysis you bring to RI !

Posted by: hessone | September 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

HB zeke

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Im in a bad spot tonight for MNF. I absolutely hate the Ravens, but I am even more tired of the hype around the Jets.

What to do, what to do...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

ljs best play was his ko on ware

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What to do, what to do...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 2:36 PM

Like when the Germans were fighting the Russians on the Eastern Front...just hope they bleed each other dry.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

No doubt, cL, everything about Brookings sucked last night. CP blowing him up on that one play when he came up the middle was one of the top highlights for me.

Also, F the Cowboys, now and forever.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Every sports writer I'm reading today is belittling the Cowboys and saying they aren't as good as everyone says they are.

This would be easier to stand if it wasn't for the fact that these same sports writers were the ones building them up in the first place...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Say whatever about the game, but in retrospect the single most interesting moment is Shanny going for the 49 yard field goal -- i.e., playing to win. Now that amounts to a sea change around here.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 13, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll go ahead and say that whatever happens the rest of the season can only be icing on top of the very sweet victory cake.

Tackling and catching both need to be improved, and I'd like to think that the experience against a formidable defensive front will go along way to getting our running game on track.

My only other note is that Sellars couldn't catch Avian Flu in an infected chicken coup. Stop throwing to him!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"I would rather throw higher in that situation, to a taller player. Flare out Davis there and throw it high. Jenkins is small."

I dunno.

The 1st down call should've been a running play to the right to get the ball on that hash.

A rollout/run-pass, fake-run right option to the left that would've made Jenkins have to make a play on McNabb or AA would've been a better call on second down.

(McNabb either runs in unmolested to score or lofts the ball over Jenkins' head to an unguarded AA.)

3rd down, then, is fake to Portis, then attempting to hit a receiver in the middle of the end zone.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The higher you build them up, the bigger the brain-splattering fall!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys eat poop!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Amen Poop

Posted by: Barno1 | September 13, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

tiredness/annoyed is short lived, hatred is forever.,..

Go Jets...

Also take the longcon approach to JETS their eventual fall will all the more sweeter with some early season wins under their belt to jack expectation even higher.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 13, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Even with gloves that a greased bullet would stick to, CR22 can't seem to catch a football!!!!. That INT would have sealed the game.....for the love of God, CATCH THE BALL!!!!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | September 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Cheyenne, I'm with you in spirit, but I'll be rooting for the Jets. I have the Ayatollah LaDainian and their D/ST going tonight in fantasy F-ball, my last hope at coming from way back to defeat Redcoat...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 13, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

What was even better about that was not trotting his young kicker out there to think about it, but letting the punt team walk out before yanking them back and slipping the kicking squad in. Gano went out, lined up, and put it right down main street.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

A few notes about the gameday experience at FedEx last night:

- The giant TVs in the parking lots, tuned to NFL red zone, was a pretty neat idea. Made tailgating that much more fun
- I thought it was awesome during pre-game warmups when Jerry Jones walked out on the field and the relatively empty stadium erupted in a chorus of boos. I was surprised at how loud so few people could be, haha
- I was also surprised that people actually seemed to arrive early for this game. Usually the stadium doesn't completely fill up until half way through the first quarter, but the stadium seemed pretty full at kickoff last night
- What is with Skins fans who don't stand at least for the opening kick off of the opening game of the season against the Cowboys? Go watch at home if you're not gonna be into it
- FedEx was loud last night. That was good to see. The new standing-room party deck section has large pieces of metal separating the rows, and fans quickly figured out that banging on those makes lots of noise.
- The new big screens are nice and replays on them were very instant. That being said, whoever was inputting down-and-distance for the scoreboards needs to figure out how to do that job better.
- The Skins really gotta cut down on the amount of "and now it's time for the joe's chimney cleaning fan of the game!" announcements. I know they're just trying to make $$$ through advertising/sponsorship, but it got obnoxious how frequently there would be some random product sponsorship of some random accolade
- Did I mention that FedEx was loud last night? Aside from the non-standers, people were into it The lower bowl was standing for nearly the entire 4th quarter.
- Ushers were getting into it after the win, high fiving fans on their way out of the stadium
- People really hate Dallas. After the game, there was a massive "f-word dallas chant" in the concourse. awesome
- Not sure if they implemented new traffic procedures, but I've never gotten out of the parking lots and onto the beltway so fast after a game as I did last night

Posted by: --swb | September 13, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I want to thank every single Redskins fan who did their part this week! Especially those who mentally prepared all weekend and visualized a Redskins win. You tell the universe the Redskins beat the Cowboys,and it happens!
Well done, everyone!!

Posted by: jgarrisn | September 13, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Did any of you see the replay of Leonard Weaver's knee injury yesterday? That was nasty.

At least they only showed it once.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The higher you build them up, the bigger the brain-splattering fall!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Since when did Cowboys fans have brains?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I bet you Carlos Rogers has a tough time wiping after going #2 since he's probably always dropping his TP.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Got in late to work this morning. Was up half the night and needed extra rest. Took me 2 hours to catch up on all the posting and whining by the he-he-he cowboy losers. Its been great reading today fellas.

My thoughts on the game:

1. Don't care as much about the lack of scoring, as we moved the ball on them, made big plays, had few mental errors, some bad drops but looked professional most of the time.

2. For all the cowboy apologists who said we were lucky to win, get off Mr. Irvin's crackpipe. DeAngelo Hall won the game. The defense won the game. Alex Barron lost it. Red Jesus' stupid playcalling and Romo's incompetence under pressure at the end of the half definitely lost the game.

3. If anything, WE tried to give the game away (Carlos Rogers' drop, Armstrong's drop, the fumbled FG hold). C
owboys simply aren't mentally tough enough to take advantage of their oppurtunities. Thats the fault of coaching.

4. F Lebron! that front running bama. Heard Kevin Durant tweeted "Hail To The Redskins" to him after the game. Nice!

5. The Silverback is loose! Good game from the rook. He held his own against the best pass rusher in the league.

6. I've been at work for 5 hours, and the cowboy fans here have mysteriously vanished. The silence is deafening around here. Hail.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Laron Laundry 17 tackles wow, I guess the coaching staff from last year didnt know what they were doing with him.

Posted by: Gussneck | September 13, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought in the 4th quarter our running game started to pick up steam. For the first time in a long time it looked like the 'skins line was wearing down their defensive line.
In all fairness to LJ, it didn't look like he ran out of bounds. It actually looked like he was trying to put on the brakes, but the defender was still grabbing on and pulling him out. So hopefully next time he'll just drop straight to the turf like a rock and keep the clock moving.

Posted by: QSkinzfan | September 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Pred;

Doc and his producer said LeBron tried to go over to the girls side of the filed by walking on the bench tarp area and straight across the field.

The producer, who apparently has some sway on field, said and made them go around. And bron could rep his crew, wearing no colors.

bona fide BAMA

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

u got that rite, Gus.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Zeke!

I'm with you, Nate. Very impressed with the Hoos so far this year. Woulda-shoulda-coulda and all that, but we could have and should have beaten USC Saturday night. Left 13 points on the field.

What a trifecta weekend that would have been! VT gets humiliated, Skins win, and UVa travels cross-country to knock off a top-25 team. Ah, well. Two out of three.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

What to do, what to do...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 2:36 PM |

Pull for the Jets WY. If they win I win a pick em' pool for $235.00 !!!!

HTTR !!!!

Posted by: hessone | September 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

2 more points I forgot to mention....

7. My 2 cents on the Uni's. Loved the gold pants look. The socks looked a little out of place at first because they didn't match the pants or the jersey, but by halftime the look grew on me. Hope they keep the gold pants all season, and just switch to all-red socks.

8. Haynesworth has really played himself. Skins proved they can win without him being a major part of the defense. His pouting on the sidelines make him look like a total jack@ss. Shanahan has put the Al in a position where he has to practice hard during the week in order to get major burn in the game. Thats genius on Shanny's part.
Whether or not they move him, and I think they should if he doesn't start showing something in practice soon, coach has managed to take back the leverage in this situation.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Two outta three ain't bad, zilla. And that was an impressive loss, missed opportunities and all. I'll take it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

2 more points I forgot to mention....

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I just wish Rackpo could've gotten a sack or two last night. With the oline that dallas had playing, he should have gotten at least one. Ya gotta get sacks to go to the pro bowl. Although he was being held all night.

Posted by: duncanrobee | September 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Good game TW, now it time to prepare for MW90 he's a beast as well....So STAY FOCUS!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Labron: Cowboys Fan.
Labron: Wears shirt with Obama's face.

Labron = Very, very, lost individual.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me why are we not playing Devin Thomas in front of Anthony Armstrong??? I'm pretty DT would had caught one of those passes in the back of the endzone last night..

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me why are we not playing Devin Thomas in front of Anthony Armstrong??? I'm pretty sure DT would had caught one of those passes in the back of the endzone last night..

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Great win. The Offense was ugly but enough. Run game got just enough at the end to make an impact. Passing game's timing was off the whole game, but got some clutch first downs and nice yards per completion.

Hated the two fades to Armstrong. If you split Davis wide inside the 10 one of those is probably a touchdown. McNabb seemed out of rhythm and it looked like we wasted some YAC on low throws.

Run defense was a concern but it seemed like we were willing to give up some run yardage in favor of preventing anything downfield. Gotta make choices when facing a team with weapons.

Overall, I loved the way we matched up against a potent passing attack with speed and weapons to spare. Giving up 7 points all game (and that was on a short field IIRC) was heroic. I'm looking for the offense to get going with some more time.

Posted by: manifested | September 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The NFL in the Post-McNabb Trade world

Cowboys claimed to have beaten Donovan McNabb three times last year. Of course that assumes that they only played McNabb 11 on 1 and you throw out pathetic Philly coaching, game-planning, and execution of plays.

Does that mean that McNabb has thus beaten 11 Cowboys by himself now? Of course not, but the victory by the Redskins over the Cowboys last nite shows coaching and scheming elevates. And, with the Redskins, there is heart.

Examine the Eagles after they got rid of McNabb. Suddenly you see a team without leadership, with the same stupid play calling, and who is left with a running back impersonating a quarterback. In many ways, perhaps it was McNabb who kept that mess together.

Last year the Cowboys had their way with the Redskins. In many ways the Cowboys made us their b@tch. But suddenly adding leadership and stability with McNabb, coaching intelligence and planning, and heart, the Redskins have also managed to provide a jumpstart to the Redskin fans' hearts that turned Fed Ex Field into home field advantage. As noted here already, I've never heard FedEx this loud. And this isn't the end of that intensity. Give the Redskin fan more effort, they'll give more heart and more intensity with which to yell.

Over at Oakland there was the hope that young Jason Campbell could showcase the profound gifts of saviorship that his proponents have long told us he possessed. In the end, we saw the same clueless limp figure that consumed Redskin fan heart for years. His stats ended up looking average as always, but there was no mistaking the lack of fire, leadership, and passion. You can take Campbell out of Washington, but you can't remove the lack of leadership regardless of what excuse you make for him.

Over at Pittsburgh, the wonderful world of Randle El looked an awful lot like the ARE we had here in Washington. Fair catches, dropped balls, and running a 4 yard pattern when needing 5 yards. Once again, you can take a twirp out of Washington, but you can't take the twirp out of a twirp.

So in the end, McNabb wins, Eagles lose, Campbell loses, and ARE adds nothing to his team. Game one down and for a week we have heart and we sent poison to several other teams.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 13, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse