Trent Williams practices again

Rookie left tackle Trent Williams, who has missed the last two games with knee and toe injuries, practiced for the second straight day Thursday, increasing the odds that he'll return to the lineup Sunday against Green Bay.

"He's still limited, but getting better," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "I'm hoping that there's not a setback and he can get a little bit better [Friday]. But he's making strides."

Williams has been replaced at left tackle by fourth-year player Stephon Heyer, who drew two false start penalties and one holding call in last Sunday's victory over Philadelphia. Before Williams's injury, Heyer had been spelling starter Jammal Brown at right tackle on every third series, so Williams's predicament has essentially affected two positions.

Shanahan said he will evaluate Williams only on how he works out, not on whether Heyer has filled in capably.

"It's not really being hopeful," Shanahan said. "It's to see how he practices. Hopefully he keeps on improving each day. If he keeps on improving it like he has the last two days, I think he'll be able to go. But we'll have to check him out [Friday]."

Other than running back Clinton Portis, who is out at least a month with a groin injury, no member of the Redskins' active roster missed practice Thursday.

By Barry Svrluga  | October 7, 2010; 3:37 PM ET
Categories:  Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Groin injury puts Clinton Portis's future in jeopardy
Next: Josh Bidwell's hip pain sends him to the injured list

Comments

So who voted yes?

Will Clinton Portis play for the Redskins again?

No 30%

There sure are some optimistic folk out there.

A 'star' running back who missed major chunks of 2 consecutive seasons is expected to return to the scene of his former glory.

I guess they feel that, well, it's best to get the most use out of Portis before he's six feet under.

They are the kind of people who cut open an empty toothpaste tube to get at what's left.

They are like the morticians who have sex with the dead to avoid paying money to hookers.

The women among them wash and rinse tampons figuring they'll dry out and be useful next month.

Geeeez!

C'mon, people, Clinton Portis' days as a redskin are over.

And I'd explain this in even more detail, but for right now, I'm scraping underneath school desks for gum to chew.

Having voted "YES" Portis will be back, I just want to make sure I get whatever sugar is left in it before the kids come back to class tomorrow.

And as with CP, I expect to enjoy every last drop of goodness that's left in it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Farty boogers

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Miraculously, the passing game starts clicking again once silverback is back.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I voted yes because he's out for 4-6 weeks, so they say. There are 13 weeks left counting the bye week. Saying he won't ever play again is making three huge assumptions:

1) He won't heal from a 4-6 week injury in 13 weeks
2) Torrain will clearly outperform him in the run game
3) Someone else will outperform him in pass protection.

#1 combined with #3 is why I'm nearly 90% sure he'll see action in pass blocking AT LEAST, in 6-8 weeks. I'm 50/50 on 1st and 2nd downs, all depends on Torain.

Posted by: rexforab | October 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em Asburn Stevek.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to do a little "housekeeping" on this page. Several of the "Entries By Category" topics can be removed: (Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, drug probe). Also that link to ESPN's NFC East blog doesn't work, but I kinda like it that way cus that d-bag M. Mosely is a Dallas homer.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | October 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

t dub, t dub, t dub

havin the rookie back will help our passing and running game def

happy to see how hard our D is hitting

i cant wait, actually i can, to beat the sorry a** giants, we owe them a serious beat down

HAIL

big game this weekend, like every weekend

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 7, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, geez, now they're running Brady's baby pictures at the top.

Posted by: wireman65 | October 7, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,
CP chose his occupation knowing all of the hazards associated with it. He smiled from ear to ear when he got paid, and paid again. I get that he's going to probably suffer from some of his injuries for the rest of his life, but if you play the game you have to take the bad with the good. He knew the risks coming in and I don't feel guilty as a fan for hoping that he comes back to the game he loves.

As I have said before, I am not a great big fan of CP but he worked really hard this year. You could see he put in the work, and it would be a shame for his career to end on this note. I'd like to see him take the rock into the end zone in the Redskins' last game, while at the same time breaking Riggo's record. I'd like to see him retire right there, in the end zone: coach-I-am-done-thank-you-very-much. That would be a better ending for the guy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

portis back - 68%
done-31%

Fits right in the Bell Curve, If your normal and within one standard deviation of normalcy then you vote Portis will be back.

Let's examine the "fringe" on both sides.

On one side the "fringe" people can't add 4 to 6 and subtract that from 17 (with a bye), simple math problem

On the other side people are just blinded by their DISLIKE for Portis, I will refer to them as DISLIKERS because they're sensative

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 7, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em Asburn Stevek.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 3:51 PM

You got the asburn stuff covered, brutha, but good catch. You out there too?

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 7, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

That would be a better ending for the guy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 3:57 PM

Helping McNabb beat those f*cking eagles in philly will be a nice ending too...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The Skins really put the hurt on the Eagles. Didn't know they also broke one of McCoy's ribs.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

yes as in it's a four to six week injury which... has him playing after the bye. The question is not will Portis be a Redskin in 2011?

I guess 7 out of 10 are literal.

Do you honesty believe that Ryan Torain or a combination of rbs will have a strangle hold on every down left in the 2010 season or that the injury requires Portis being put on injured reserve.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

You got the asburn stuff covered, brutha, but good catch. You out there too?

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 7, 2010 4:00 PM
------

Nah, not out there. Just easy to type in "20147 + zip code" and see what comes up.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2010 4:05 PM
-----------------------------------------
Yep, and I think two Eagles left the game with concussions along with Vick's rib cartilage injury. I hope they keep the intensity dialed up this week. I'd start it out with Brandon Banks returning the kickoff and I'd make the first play from scrimmage a flea flicker.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

i hope portis wins a super bowl with the Washington Redskins, not as much for his sake, it would be nice for him

but it's for us, the organization, DC, Maryland and VA

what uppppppp

HAIL

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

but it's for us, the organization, DC, Maryland and VA

what uppppppp

HAIL

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 7, 2010 4:10 PM

On that note...I'm going home...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | October 7, 2010 4:06 PM
------------

Ted Nugent is the only one who will ever have a stranglehold on anything.

All hail the mighty Nuge.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

ahoi ahoi, Redskins fnas.

I did a little snooping on slackers insider over at the Green Bay Gazette. It seems there secondary, especially at safety, is totally shot to hell. Furthermore, they have two o-lineman who will either be out or nursing injuries. Their main concerns are lack of a running game and turnovers.
They are extremely confident in their spread pass attack, receivers and TEs included.

HTTR

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | October 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

portis back - 68%
done-31%

Let's examine the "fringe" on both sides.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 7, 2010 3:59 PM

For the record, I voted that Portis will be back. In my opinion, if there was any question, Shanny would IR him to open another roster spot. That said, your lack of ability to see the flip side of anything is frankly amazing.

Let's think about the alternatives (I know thinking is not your strong suit, but please, bear with me). Some people may think that Shanny is not giving us the full story about Portis' injury and its severity. This would not be the first time Shanny has played an injury close to the vest.

Some may think that Portis will have a setback while trying to get healthy. I would say that this is a strong possibility as Portis is well used.

Others may believe that Torain and the others we have signed will play well enough that the organization will not feel a need to bring Portis back.

These are just a few options for you to think (there's that word again) about. I would suggest you try thinking next time before you go off all half-cocked when someone dissents. I am just trying to help you out. Although I will say that your tirades are adorable.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 7, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

can't handle the truth playaction?

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 7, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Almost a full house at practice today. That's very positive! Now that Barnett is out, we just have to scheme for Matthews and Raji. I don't like the odds of Rabach going up against Raji. On D, I'm horrified on what Rogers can do against our secondary. We're going to have to play like the '81 Chargers and match touchdown for touchdown with the Packers.

Posted by: clark202 | October 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | October 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think a second week of Kareem Moore makes a big difference for our D. We can now have a true center fielder with him back there.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | October 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | October 7, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Having Williams back is good news. Having Heyer as backup remains scary! Are there not any better linemen out there?

Posted by: iliwai34 | October 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, people, Clinton Portis' days as a redskin are over.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Moe, I know you're too wise and wiley to forget that what often seems self-evident is quite rarely, truly so simple. For all his detractors, this guy loves to ball. You cannot measure heart. I'd wager gladly even money that he plays again as a Redskin, maybe even this year. Will he be the 26 of 05-06? Probably not, almost certainly not. But me thinks The Portinator will be back.

And welcome back, Silverback. We need ya this week.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 7, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's wait till Trent is 100% healed before putting him back in. These injuries within the foot can last a long time if the player re-injures himself before he's healthy. His career is just starting.

On the other topic, why on earth would CP not play again once he's better in a month or so? He was playing pretty well and he is also a terrific blocker. He can certainly handle part of the load anyway.

Posted by: dcc1968 | October 9, 2010 3:05 AM | Report abuse