Trent Williams practices, status for game still uncertain

Updated 1:45 p.m.

For the first time this week, left tackle Trent Williams participated in practice Friday, though his status for this weekend is still uncertain.

Williams said after practice that he feels like he'll be able to play Sunday, though the decision would ultimately be Mike Shanahan's. "I think I can be effective," Williams said.

The Redskins coach said he won't make the call until Sunday when he has a chance to see how Williams's body responds to Friday's workout.

"If he wants me to play, I'm gonna play," Williams said.

Williams was limited at practice but said he did enough work to "knock some of the rust off" at practice.

The left tackle position has been a question mark all week. Stephon Heyer and Jammal Brown have both taken reps at left tackle, and one of the two -- Heyer seems to be the leading candidate -- would likely get the start if Williams isn't able to go Sunday.

Williams suffered a knee contusion and a toe sprain in last Sunday's loss to Houston. An MRI Monday revealed no structural damage but Williams still had to sit out practice on Wednesday and Thursday. He said both the toe and knee were bothering him equally on Friday.

"He did some really good work this week, as far as treatment on the field with the trainer," said left guard Derrick Dockery. "So our hopes are really high right now."

By Rick Maese  | September 24, 2010; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan, Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington was 'bad situation' for Larry Johnson
Next: Shanahan mum on Albert Haynesworth's status

Comments

This team has my full support...You know why????

....I remember the "swinging gate" play.
....I remember the loss to the Chiefs and
the Rams
....I remember the "Portis rules"
....I remember we gave a 5th rounder for
TJ Duckett
....I remember Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett
....I remember Antwan Randle-El
....I remember Mark Brunell and Gibbs
playing him even though he knew he was
hurt
.... I remember OSAKA!!!!
.... I remember Vinny Cerrato (Jackazz!)

This team is headed in the right direction...yes..we have holes and have not put it all together but I'm willing to be patient!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 24, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | September 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

gotta sit TWill...move JBrown over, have Dmac light it up, get up big, and roll.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@PA - It's kool....I bet the house on Washington....We are ONLY 3.5 favs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2010 1:25 PM

Haha...thanks 4th...I don't know how to make ANY of those marks...can I have a blanket exemption that everything I say is sarcastic or toungue in cheek? (see Simpson starting this week above)

Hope they cover for you...hate making those bets with the skins...3 point win and you're pissed.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 1:38 PM

This was meant for you too Dik...thanks...all sarcasm...all the time haha

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

4th, you still stickin with 8-8 for the Bills?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This team has my full support...You know why????

....I remember the "swinging gate" play.
....I remember the loss to the Chiefs and
the Rams
....I remember the "Portis rules"
....I remember we gave a 5th rounder for
TJ Duckett
....I remember Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett
....I remember Antwan Randle-El
....I remember Mark Brunell and Gibbs
playing him even though he knew he was
hurt
.... I remember OSAKA!!!!
.... I remember Vinny Cerrato (Jackazz!)

Posted by: rickyroge

Who's showing impatience? It isn't like 'skins fans were living under rocks through all those things you mentioned. WE REMEMBER TOO!

But still, that doesn't give a reason to sit back in the chaise sipping on dark cherry kool-aid (closest to burgundy) with my gold stunna shades, fronting like everything is everything. Yeah the team has my support like it always has, but not one person on decision is above criticism on this team. Not a one. Why?

Because they haven't done or won a damn thing yet. Winning, meaningful winning shuts the critics up.

So it's in the 'Skins best interest to beat the dog piss out of the Rams Sunday. I'm talkin' a 38-13 ass whopping. If they pull some 13-9 bullsh*t performance expect some people to be discontent with it -- even though it is a win. You do remember what happened the last time they beat the Rams, don't you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

You do remember what happened the last time they beat the Rams, don't you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 1:56 PM

I think we tore down the goal posts and burned couches in the parking lot...I drank alot of sodas that day!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

4th, you still stickin with 8-8 for the Bills?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 1:55 PM

Hellz No. Hope my Bookie loses that page...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

You do remember what happened the last time they beat the Rams, don't you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 1:56 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse
wasn't that ST21's last game ever?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | September 24, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:55 PM

Dude you f'd up. Tolbert is likely to start this weekend or at least get a lot of touches. He was big in relief last week. You better go back and get him. I snatched him in my league to play this weekend. He's more than a ham and egger.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:55 PM

Props that you have a deep enough team that allows you to carry DT11 over Tolbert.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 24, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

psps/SFIK How many teams are in your league that you can spare a roster spot for DT?

DT couldn't get off of the bench on my team and I have all #2 receivers.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

12 team league. DT is a homerun... or more likely a strike out. We are talking the 16th roster spot here. Another player in the league picked up K Williams for his bench. At this point in the season, forward looking managers are combing rosters for guys who haven't produced anything, but have at least a small chance to suddenly emerge. I think its fair to say that DT11 is in that group.

AA is hurt this week. DT may get 3-6 balls thrown his way. We'll see. IF, yes IF, one is a TD, suddenly DT may take on trade value for some guy who is desperate. DT also has value in leagues that award points to individual players for return yardage. Same as Jacoby Jones in that regard.

As to the actual game Sunday: I think K Williams gets 12-15 carries including late when its grind out the victory toward kneel down time. IF, yes IF, the offense has unleashed enough of a firestorm earlier to warrant grind out time. Which is what i anticipate. I also think this is the week when young Bradford reverts to the rookie mean and gives up a pick or two. I'm fairly certain the D will be dominant this week to largely assist the aforementioned offensive firestorm.

What i think is the longer term desire of the Coaching staff: Get SM89, AA13, and DT11 all on the field together with all three playing well. That has the most upside. So far, DT has been unable to get it done. We'll see.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

wasn't that ST21's last game ever?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | September 24, 2010 2:07 PM

No, it was last year at home. We won 9-7. Campbell was benched at halftime...it was the ugliest Redskins game ever, even for a win, and all of FedEx booed them off the field. Including me.

Posted by: Section104 | September 24, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

You do remember what happened the last time they beat the Rams, don't you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 1:56 PM

Only win I've ever seen that felt like a loss. I'd like to never experience that again, thank you.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 24, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

and all of FedEx booed them off the field. Including me.

Posted by: Section104 | September 24, 2010 2:16 PM

I would have booed too, but me and my son spent the whole 2nd half smoozing with Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders in a suite....No one was paying attention to the game. And before we knew it, the game was over and the whole FedEx was booing, than I looked at the score and was like, 'HEllz Yeah. 9-7? We almost lost....to da MoFo Rams...but who cares I got Gary Clark's and Ricky Sander's autgraphs and pics taken....'

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:55 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I picked him up this week when Mathews was dinged. He is out this weekend. I'm start Gore and Best. R Matthews is on the bench this week, but looks like he will not be out long. I also have J Charles, and for the record I officially hate Todd Haley. I'm flexing a WR (Floyd coincidentally). Once Tolbert didn't make my starting roster this week, there was no longer a need to keep him. So, try and find a homerun... DT was it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | September 24, 2010 2:16 PM

I booed too. ST's last game was against the Eagles I believe when he got hurt.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Hayney beeps

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I just took a HUGE poop. Like at least 8-9 Couric's.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 24, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hayney beeps

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

how come only one comment on this thread? Strange.

Good news for Trent. But I have full confidence in Stephon Heyer (even though I know I'm in the minority on that one). I remember 2007 when Heyer started almost the entire season on a playoff team in which Portis and the run game had a big year. Heyer can play.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 24, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

UNQUOTE

I could not agree more. If TW isn't fully
fit, don't get him hurt (again, or further
aggravate the exisiting injuries) for a game
that we have, at the very least, adequate replacements who need to show they can step in
to fill a temp gap. The Division game against
Philly is much more important. DMc5 can survive
if either Heyer or Brown fill in for TW. He's
very mobile and a smart QB who knows what's up.
We don't need to massacre the Rams (although
it would be nice to do so). I'd rather see a
fully fit TW against Philly than a Brown or a
Heyer filling in during a crucial Division
match up at Game 4. Whata you guys think? I think that we can beat the Rams without TW, but against that Philly team, who will be after DMc5, we'll need TW there at 100%.

Posted by: DeployedFan | September 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Strange...it showed up as only one comment on here then I post one and there are dozens prior to mine. Wierd

Posted by: Barno1 | September 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I would think it'd be wise to sit Trent if there's a fraction of soreness. Let's be honest the Rams are, well the Rams. They required merely 9 points last year to defeat. They have no real pass rush threat, and will probably stack the box to stop CP fro getting to their weak second and third level. This will leave the PA open to strike deep with JG as SM will likely have over the top help on him all game.

If the Skins risk reaggrevating this injury we are in a world of hurt going into the next 3 weeks. (PHI GB IND) Those teams have pass rush threats and offenses. Jackson is the only weapon they have. Bradford has thrown 4 picks. Its safe to say the play calls won't be more than 3 step drops and screens.
Our guys have given huge yardages up but have tackled short passes well. (Dallas game esp.) We will stack the box and flats for SJ ans Has will blitz the rook on most downs using Rogers and Landry to both run and pass blitz. I say give TW the week off. Play Haynesworth to plug the middle and let the rook throw early into coverage. Either way this is a must win as NY and Dallas have tough teams to play (Ten, Hou) Assuming philly beats Jac. Because Gerrard looks uncomfortable in the pocket and MJD is banged up, this week is big for us to go 2 and 1. If we can get this one and then 2 outta 3 the following weeks we will be in a primebplayoff position.

The boys are slumping and they have a brutal 2nd half schedule. I can't foresee a postseason for them. NY is off and on again as BJ is unhappy. Philly is looking good but Vick had 6 good qtrs and they are wasting all the money they just gave to Kolb, who is the better pocket passer. This is the year to take the reigns for us. Hopefully we deliver, and the running game talks are bogus. Who runs when the QB is having a 400 plus yd day??

Posted by: DGreen28BestEver | September 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DGreen28BestEver | September 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

kolb on the eagles is not better at anything than m. vick. kolb is a weakling with no athletic ability he can't take a hit is afraid and has a arm similar to ty detmer the eagles wanted a "great white hope" and he lasted all of 1/2 football game he is NOT a starter in the nfl nor a back-up he is a guy that the legendary" v. SIR-ratto probably would have drafted.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Rest him! should be able to knock of the Rams without him!

Posted by: eyekey416 | September 25, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse