Trent Williams will get to face Trent Cole on Monday

By Jason Reid

Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Trent Cole is tied for sixth in the NFL with seven sacks.

The Eagles are tied for fifth in the league with 24 sacks and quarterback Donovan McNabb has been sacked 22 times -- tied for the league's second-highest total. But Cole had no sacks and the Eagles only had one during the Redskins' 17-12 victory in Week 4 at Lincoln Financial Field.

In that game, backup Stephon Heyer started in place of injured rookie left tackle Trent Williams and fared well against Cole. Barring something unforseen, Williams will start Monday night against the Eagles at FedEx Field.

Williams "learned a lot" from watching Heyer compete against Cole in the teams' first game, he said. Cole "had the home-field advantage, so he had the snap count on his side. I got to see Steph, and Steph did a really good job against him. Hopefully, I can imitate that and neutralize him for another game."

Of course, it won't be easy, Williams said.

"He's like, I wanna say, a tailback at D-end," Williams said. "He's so fast and strong and he's got great moves, great hands. He can run you over as well as run past you."

By Jason Reid  | November 12, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Stephon Heyer, Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statistical analysis: Which defensive players are helping the Redskins the most?
Next: Can Redskins defense contain Jackson and Maclin again?

Comments

funny? Hess, it took about a year before you listened to people. You were truculent and obnoxious. Now you expect it to disappear? You did the crime, now serve the time.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 12, 2010 10:00 AM |

there you have it folks, RI policeman, judge, and jury. Folks, I give you, beep-beep, the only RI poster with a clean record

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Trent is going to try and imitate Heyer? Good lord.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Yes PlayAction...Let's hope that's the last time we ever hear TW say he hopes to imitate "Steph". I almost spit out my coffee when I read that.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 12, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Gotta admit...I had forgotten we were sans Silverback for the 10/3 Beagles game. Feels like a bonus going into Monday night, right? There was so much to talk about after that game, maybe Stephon didn't really get his due from us on RI. Did he get any holding/false start penalties?

I can't believe nobody else thinks that dreadless Stephon looks just like Dexter Manley c. 1983.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:09 AM

Thanks for your feedback, he$$one. Not sure what a "clean record" is, but you probably aren't sure either.

Weren't you up here incessantly working Personal_Fowl yesterday as "RI policeman, judge, and jury?"

Posted by: beep-beep | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

At least RI doesn't highlight the obvious...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad T-Dub is familiar with Cole's strenghts, but I'd prefer he didn't talk about him like he's already won the battle.

Foobaw is nothing if not a confidence game (see DHall). So the rook needs to know he can win this before he can actually pull it off. And if he's defeated mentally, he'll be done physically.

I know I'm a lil' overboard here for one quote - but as we saw w/ Soup - it can go a long way.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 12, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM
------------------------------------------
Who played at guard that game: Dockery or Lichtensteiger?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The whole offensive line needs to play better.
You can point your finger at hamstrings, 2 minute drills, Shanahan....anything you want.
The first finger needs to point there. If McNabb has time, he will do a good enough job to win. If the line executes blocks and wins their battles, it doesn't matter if its Riggins running the ball or Chad Simpson. We will move the ball.
When the blitz is in McNabb's lap as soon as he gets the ball...how is he supposed to perform any other kind of way but hurry the ball away into a bad throw.
We will go as the line goes.

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM

I'll back you on that MC...that's a good pull on your part, dude.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 12, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:09 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM
------------------------------------------
I like to think of myself as the RI janitor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM

I wish he could perform like Dexter Manley of '83

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM |

haven't you done the same ?

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I like to think of myself as the RI janitor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:29 AM

Seems like as good a time as any to tell you that Poopey clogged up the toilet in the men's room again.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Folks, I give you, beep-beep, the only RI poster with a clean record

My sins in this forum are all well-documented:

--discussing Yankee baseball

--suggesting that Michelle Obama is not attractive

--defending moodlymoodlymoo

--being the 1st poster to jump off the McNabb Bandwagon

--being a right winger

--being a left winger

--having no wings

--encouraging marijuana consumption even though I'm drug free

--taking the packers over the redskins

--making fun of the Chilean miners

--making self-gratifying post on days when masterbation doesn't satisfy.

I would complete this post.

But for some reason, my keyboard is sticky.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 12, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Folks, I give you, beep-beep, the only RI poster with a clean record.

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:09 AM

If clean record means that he never said that he wants to jizz in another dudes mouth, then I have a clean record too!

I would think everyone on here has a clean record then...except for one...and it rhymes with mess.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I like to think of myself as the RI janitor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:29 AM |

good one rsh. so you're the one that takes out the trash ?

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"making fun of Chilean Miners" ... chortle.

ya make me (and Don Rickles, btw) proud, moe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 12, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I wish he could perform like Dexter Manley of '83

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:31 AM

Not fair! Just as many sacks happen because of Stephon as 1983 Dexter.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM

I wish he could perform like Dexter Manley of '83

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:31 AM

Well he has contributed to several sacks in his career.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM |

you're right 51, dude looks just like dmanley

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Not if you punch him in the nuts.

Repeatedly.

Alls I'm saying is, there are ways.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 12, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I like to think of myself as the RI janitor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:29 AM |

good one rsh. so you're the one that takes out the trash ?

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:35 AM
------------------------------------------
Just the creepy guy gimpily walking the dimly lit hallways after hours with my mammoth key chain whispering to the world of Redskins championships that should have been: tink-tink, tink-tink, tink-tink...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I wish he could perform like Dexter Manley of '83

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:31 AM

Not fair! Just as many sacks happen because of Stephon as 1983 Dexter.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

lol....no doubt

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I wish he could perform like Dexter Manley of '83

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:31 AM

Not fair! Just as many sacks happen because of Stephon as 1983 Dexter.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:37 AM
------------------------------------------
Farside moment:

Although Jim Zorn is largely credited with the introduction of the "swinging gate" play, Stephon Heyer is less well known for his introduction of the "swinging gate" blocking technique...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone talked about Kevin Curtis? He has been cleared to play football again, and is looking for a team now. Maybe?

Posted by: roccoskins | November 12, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 12, 2010 10:52 AM
------------------------------------------
He couldn't possibly be as ineffective as Roydell Williams.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Roydell Who??

Posted by: westjr88 | November 12, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 12, 2010 10:52 AM

That would certainly speed things along for shanny's racist initiative.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 10:21 AM |

you're right 51, dude looks just like dmanley

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 10:40 AM

I'll submit that Fletcher looks like baby Godzilla and McNabb looks like Al Roker.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I like to think of myself as the RI janitor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:29 AM |

It would appear that you have your work cut out for you this morning.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 12, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 12, 2010 10:52 AM

I read on PFT yesterday that he's back from cancer and 100% healthy. He played with McNabb in Philly so he might be able to help us right away. Hopefully we bring him in for a looksy...God knows he can't be worse than what we have now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 12, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 12, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

He couldn't possibly be as ineffective as Roydell Williams.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:55 AM

I know he's making no impact at all in the passing game, but Roydell has turned himself into a good special teams player. He stays in his lane on coverage teams and I haven't seen him miss a tackle yet. He's a tough guy for a receiver. Special teams aren't sexy but he's contributing as much as B. Westbrook. He's just getting more heat because he has "WR" after his name and not "CB"...and we have good corners. I'm guessing the staff thinks he's pulling his weight. Galloway...I have no such defense for. I was intrigued by Austin in the preseason and would like to see him get a shot. (full disclosure: I thought Roydell Williams looked promising as a receiver in preseason too...so what do I know?)

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

That would certainly speed things along for shanny's racist initiative.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:04 AM

Right...hopefully we don't sign anymore white players, you know, just to keep up appearances...

Damn, I hope you were joking...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 12, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I hope you were joking...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 12, 2010 11:13 AM

My bad...accidentally got sucked into the whole redskins being racist thing and all...snapped out of it...I'm good now.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse